P.H. Mathieu def. Safin 6-0, 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

P.H. Mathieu def. Safin 6-0, 7-5

gusman890
04-18-2006, 12:27 PM
:sad: MARAT !!!!!!

how the hell could u get bageled and not serve 1 ass ace the whole match..?

NINA_BCN
04-18-2006, 12:28 PM
:tape:

-SaFiinsBabY-
04-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Marat :sad:

congrats PHM ... ;)

Fisico
04-18-2006, 12:29 PM
good win for PHM, but Safin :(
ankle giving him problems or was he just crap today?

GonzoFan
04-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Marat :sobbing:

Good win, Paulo ;)

revolution
04-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Marat played such a stinking first set, he couldn't hit his own arse, cue the broken rackets and the jeers from the crowd.

Least he upped the ante second set but PHM was worthy winner and can toast his first Monte Carlo victory.

gusman890
04-18-2006, 12:33 PM
ahhh we all have our off days..

safin will come back to roland garros better then ever ! ;)

Ome
04-18-2006, 12:51 PM
:woohoo: Paulo :kiss:

:hug: Marat :hug:

richard gasquet
04-18-2006, 12:52 PM
paulo! :woohoo: :woohoo:

very good win that will give him confidence for the next round :)

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-18-2006, 12:53 PM
Paulo is Paulo,he can't win the match faster! :o He was broken twice the serve at once after he broke at once in 2nd set! :yawn: I worried about him all the time!But his return quite impressed me today,and he hit some nice deep angle.It's good for him! :bigclap:

InfiniteSadness
04-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Well done, Paulo! :worship:

bellascarlett
04-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Ay Marat! :rolleyes: :smash:

I could forgive the second set (a lil good fighting) but a bagel in the first??? horrible...:o It would have been a different match had he played the first set like he did most of the second...oh well what can you do? Anyway, rest up Marat! You need it...:hug:

Ales_Alessandra
04-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Marat!! :smooch: :hug:

WF4EVER
04-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Marat just couldn't seem to find his range. If he hadn't played Valencia I'd have chalked it up to lack of play on clay but he was just off the whole first set. I was so surprised he didn't tank the second set; shows he wanted to play but he just couldn't get into any kind of rhythm.

The good thing is he didn't seem hampered by his ankle at all, and despite this loss I think he can still do some damage on clay. But Marat is like a box of chocolates, you know, you never know what you're gonna get but it's sweet anyway.

Vass
04-18-2006, 01:22 PM
ahhh we all have our off days..

Must be his period....

:(

*sigh*
Oh wtf Marat.

silverwhite
04-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Paulo :woohoo: Unexpected win! :D

Marat :hug:

joyk
04-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Bravo Paulo!

silverwhite
04-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Mini OAF def OAF :lol:

cobalt60
04-18-2006, 01:31 PM
:) Well maybe there is hope for the US in Davis Cup on clay after all;)
Where is Adeegee? He would be thrilled.

{Annie}
04-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Must be his period....

:(

*sigh*
Oh wtf Marat.

:spit:

Marat :smash: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Frederick16
04-18-2006, 01:50 PM
PH is a good player! and marat isnt 100 procent yet.. so not real strange here

Jimnik
04-18-2006, 02:05 PM
This really sums up Russia's fortunes so far. No-one seems to be playing their best.

Tursunov, Youzhny won 7 games between them. :eek:
Davydenko, Safin lose to players they should beat. :banghead:

Andreev is Russia's last hope.

alfonsojose
04-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Paulo is with Wilson now :(

silverwhite
04-18-2006, 02:23 PM
What's wrong with that, Fonsie? :p

Scotso
04-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Paulo :woohoo:

gillian
04-18-2006, 02:32 PM
:sad: Marat, get your head together, man.

NATAS81
04-18-2006, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't worry about how many aces Marat hits. Karlovic only had 6 aces in his 6-4 7-6 loss.

nisabula
04-18-2006, 04:17 PM
The more talented player won

tangerine_dream
04-18-2006, 04:20 PM
The Russians aren't looking so hot on the clay, you'd think they were Americans.

Maybe they'd better change the DC surface before they embarass themselves in front of their home crowd. ;)

henree
04-18-2006, 04:29 PM
The Russians aren't looking so hot on the clay, you'd think they were Americans.

Maybe they'd better change the DC surface before they embarass themselves in front of their home crowd. ;)
LOL
Maybe Safin was afraid of facing Nadal. And packed it up as quick as he could. :devil:

Viken01
04-18-2006, 04:56 PM
maybe marat is still injured bull still, congrat paulo

napki
04-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Marat :awww:

But at least i won't have any regrets when Guille wins his next match. :D

(his winning streak has to start somewhere, right?;) )

sonia
04-18-2006, 05:00 PM
:awww: Marat

Angle Queen
04-18-2006, 05:08 PM
:) Well maybe there is hope for the US in Davis Cup on clay after all;)This really sums up Russia's fortunes so far. No-one seems to be playing their best.

Andreev is Russia's last hope.The Russians aren't looking so hot on the clay, you'd think they were Americans.

Maybe they'd better change the DC surface before they embarass themselves in front of their home crowd. ;)Hmmm...both sides would fare better...and we'd all have a much more entertaining Tie...if the surface isn't clay.

amon84
04-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Marat... Marat... Marat... :rolleyes:

Agnes
04-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Marat is injured and has a fewer.. :sad:
I am not mad, just sad.But I still belive.

NYCtennisfan
04-18-2006, 05:16 PM
The Americans could've done what the Russians have done so far at Monte Carlo. Andreev is currently losing as well.

musefanatic
04-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Bit of a shock, Marat losing! 6-0 in the first too, ouch! Well done P-H though :)

oneandonlyhsn
04-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Paulo :bounce: keep it up son :rocker2:

Marat :awww:

ezekiel
04-18-2006, 05:31 PM
wow Marat

ys
04-18-2006, 05:31 PM
It's just Monte Carlo.. Meaningless tournament.. Who cares..

tangerine_dream
04-18-2006, 05:32 PM
The Americans could've done what the Russians have done so far at Monte Carlo. Andreev is currently losing as well.
Yep. Which makes the Americans look smart for staying home in the first place. ;)

nobama
04-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Yep. Which makes the Americans look smart for staying home in the first place. ;)Then they might as well skip Rome, Hamburg and RG too and just rest up for the grass. ;)

Allez
04-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Marat wake up :banghead: Losing the first set like that is a bit :cuckoo:

Paulo :yeah::yeah::yeah:

I had Paulo winning this but even I'm shocked at the scoreline.

Did Marat behave himself ? If not Paulo should not have shaken his hand :smash:

athina7
04-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Dammit Marat :(

DrJules
04-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Is Safin injured? He did have treatment last week.

hablovah19
04-18-2006, 08:46 PM
For once that I see Marat (and some tennis) on TSN and to see you lose like this :hysteric:

That first set was simply put abominable :mad:

and one of those espn commentators was so annoying :help::tape:

and Marat didn't seem injured in this match............. he made so many errors in the first, maybe going for too much and played a bit smarter in the second.... paulo was reading and returning marat's serve very well too.

hablovah19
04-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Did Marat behave himself ? If not Paulo should not have shaken his hand :smash: :tape:

raeesa301
04-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Said he felt sick in the morning:
An interview with: MARAT SAFIN
THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Marat, bad luck. Did you think you'd got back into the match in the second set and could go on and win?

MARAT SAFIN: No, was a little bit too late to come back, and he got confident. I started pretty -- not really -- I was missing a little bit of energy. I got sick two, three days ago, and I'm still little bit weak, so it's difficult to run around and try to make winners all over the court, especially on clay. So I had to work a little bit harder, and unfortunately, I'm not really ready for this.

Q. When did you know you could play the match today?

MARAT SAFIN: Yesterday I was a little bit sick in the morning. I had a little bit of fever, and just basically last night I was still little bit cold in the dinner. Well, I had to take all the medicines, and the medicines, of course they leave you a little bit weak. So in the morning I didn't really felt really awake.

And 6-0 wasn't nothing, in a few minutes. I just couldn't really run on the baseline, and that's why I was trying to play fast. I was missing a lot. Sort of was not there. So it's difficult to play against these kind of guys, against Mathieu. He was just running around, playing solid from the baseline, didn't do really anything special. He was waiting for me to make a mistake, so was right play from him.

And me, I got back a little bit into the match a little bit too late. I think if I would stay with him a little bit longer in the first set, maybe I would have a chance.

But, unfortunately, second, I was already getting too tight.

Q. So what are your ambitions on clay? You're still struggling to obviously get full fitness after all the injuries. How do you feel apart from this last little setback?

MARAT SAFIN: Well, compared to -- I mean, well, last week I made a semifinal in clay coming out from the indoors fast surface and playing five-set matches in France. So it was quite a good change to the clay. Been playing really well. I'm hitting the ball really well.

So next week I will take the rest, and then I'm heading to Estoril so it will be perfect setup before Rome and Hamburg. And then heading to the French Open. I think I still have -- I will do something good on clay, I am sure.

Q. If you get enough matches between then and now, do you want to be in a position to go into Roland Garros believing you can win it?

MARAT SAFIN: I'm still far from that. Also, my ranking is pretty far away from being seeded in Roland Garros and that's why it's a little bit difficult to say something that you can get into the quarterfinals or even to the second week, because you might play the first round against Nadal, Federer, any good Spanish players, Argentinians, and they can destroy you completely.

So basically I have to bet in hoping for the good draw, so it all depends on the draws. And look at here, I am playing Mathieu. At the second round I would have to play against Coria. The draws are not really helping me out lately. So expecting that in the future I will have a little bit of luck and then I will take my chances.

Q. Mathieu is a player who suffered quite a lot from injuries as well. He said last season was his first full season without injury. If he's injury?free, how far do you think he can go as a player?

MARAT SAFIN: It depends. I mean, like he had quite bad ?? I think he had quite bad losses, for example, in the Davis Cup against us, and then all of a sudden he disappeared. Before that, he won two tournaments and he beat Kuerten in the final and then he won actually Lyon and Moscow. He was supposed to be in the top 10. And now the guy is struggling. He makes his matches, but he doesn't really do anything special. I think it's a little bit a pity because he's quite talented guy.

But he can be there, but he needs to be more brave, that's for sure.

hablovah19
04-18-2006, 09:04 PM
^^^ Thanks for posting the interview .... I would have never known that Marat felt sick otherwise. It didn't look like it at all, imo.

Allez
04-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Had Rogi said this

He was just running around, playing solid from the baseline, didn't do really anything special. He was waiting for me to make a mistake, so was right play from him.

and this

He makes his matches, but he doesn't really do anything special.

the usual suspects would have gone nuts accusing him of arrogance etc.

KoOlMaNsEaN
04-18-2006, 09:10 PM
PHM didnt play his best it was all Marat he tried to comeback but way to late

Havok
04-18-2006, 09:31 PM
wtf ..... :scared:

Nice win PHM, horrible loss for Safin :o.

Deboogle!.
04-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Had Rogi said this

He was just running around, playing solid from the baseline, didn't do really anything special. He was waiting for me to make a mistake, so was right play from him.

and this

He makes his matches, but he doesn't really do anything special.

the usual suspects would have gone nuts accusing him of arrogance etc.Marat is perfect you know that :) He can do no wrong and his cuteness is another's disgusting behavior and arrogance :D

justClaudia
04-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Marat :eek:

gusman890
04-18-2006, 09:54 PM
haha marat..

always has the last laugh ! :)

Meeek
04-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Marat is perfect you know that :) He can do no wrong and his cuteness is another's disgusting behavior and arrogance :D

Selective quoting. He also said this:

I think it's a little bit a pity because he's quite talented guy.

How arrogant. :p

heya
04-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Just like the Jesus and Safin trolls, I'd like to imagine Safin as a man of mystery/James Bond/Oaf/2nd best player.
Of course, I would have to care enough to post garbage on my own forum.

Golfnduck
04-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Safin :sad:

RogiFan88
04-19-2006, 02:11 AM
This really sums up Russia's fortunes so far. No-one seems to be playing their best.

Andreev is Russia's last hope.

Well, throw that hope out of the window, Ivan beat him in 3. :p