I can't see the damn ball! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

I can't see the damn ball!

uNIVERSE mAN
04-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Help! All I see is two people running around and no damn ball! wtf! As soon as the rally gets started it basically disappears.

BelgianWaffle
04-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Look in your pants.

sorry that was really lame. :o

David Kenzie
04-17-2006, 12:08 PM
I guess that you are viewing an online live feed, is that right ?

uNIVERSE mAN
04-17-2006, 12:08 PM
I had the same probs last year in this tournament, something about Monte Carlo, it can't be just the clay, I didn't see any problems with the Houston event TTC showed.

uNIVERSE mAN
04-17-2006, 12:09 PM
I guess that you are viewing an online live feed, is that right ?

The Tennis Channel feed on tv.

*Viva Chile*
04-17-2006, 12:10 PM
For me, the cameras are so high :shrug:

GonzoFan
04-17-2006, 12:16 PM
same here :wavey: sometimes the ball dissapears and I just see both players running ...

GonzoFan
04-17-2006, 12:16 PM
maybe it is the sun and now is cloudly some maybe now we can see the ball :shrug:

I don't really know :lol:

Deboogle!.
04-17-2006, 03:06 PM
same here :wavey: sometimes the ball dissapears and I just see both players running ...Yeah, same here, the ball almost flickers mid-rally. Very odd. Maybe it's the coloring of the camerawork or something? :confused:

ClaycourtaZzZz.
04-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Better than nothing.

tennisace
04-17-2006, 03:56 PM
On my regular TV I can barely see the ball, but on the wide screen HD set (even though the broadcast isn't in HD) I can see it much better. That being said, I've been watching MC for years and it's always been difficult seeing the ball there.

mandoura
04-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Same here :(

soraya
04-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Help! All I see is two people running around and no damn ball! wtf! As soon as the rally gets started it basically disappears.

Thanks for saying that. I thought old age was catching up faster. :confused:

Sjengster
04-17-2006, 04:26 PM
Odd. I have pretty bad eyesight, and I can see the ball absolutely fine. I do have a widescreen TV with sharp picture quality, but I didn't this time last year and I've been watching Monte Carlo since 2002 with no problems in picking up the ball.

joeb_uk
04-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Well, even sky sports feed isnt that clear. It can be, when the lighting is correct. But when there are shadows, it isnt 100% visible.

Although, the sky sports interactive feed is alot clearer and sharper so its easier to see.

artlinkletter
04-17-2006, 06:44 PM
I can only see the ball as its about to hit the court(when it slows down) but not after it's been struck(when it speeds up).

Corswandt
04-17-2006, 06:56 PM
I missed the TV broadcast today, so I couldn't see for myself.

But this is odd. Seeing the ball shouldn't be a problem in red clay. The worst tournament I remember on this regard was WTA Zurich indoors. The court was painted light grey (!).

federated
04-17-2006, 07:20 PM

I had the same problem. :sad:

Frooty_Bazooty
04-17-2006, 07:26 PM
it only seems to be the main court. i have no problem seeing the ball on court des princes :shrug:

David Kenzie
04-17-2006, 07:36 PM
This is wierd, I don' t have any problems watching it on Sport+

However for IW and Miami the movement of the ball wasn't smooth, it was like a video game with some "lag". Only slightly but very noticable.

NATAS81
04-17-2006, 07:36 PM
If you think that's tough, try watching hockey. :p

joeb_uk
04-17-2006, 07:45 PM
it only seems to be the main court. i have no problem seeing the ball on court des princes :shrug:

Indeed, I think the camera angle is also not helping!

ezekiel
04-17-2006, 07:51 PM
this clay colour is kind of washed out and doesn't give enough contrast to see the ball. Also the fact that camera is situated somewhere high above like maybe a mountain doesn't help either. Really unfortunate

TheMaster
04-17-2006, 08:14 PM
you being able to see the ball these days (as opposed to when cameras were not nearly as good or when there was only black and white picture) doesn't depend on the colour of the surface, the colour of the ball, or the contrast between the two.

the problem is the camera - now i'm not an expert, but it seems that usually when the camera is far up, looking down at the court, rather than closer to the ground looking forward onto the court, the ball isn't very visible. possibly the camera they are using is crap, because i'm sure there's a camera out there that has the capability to capture it from a high angle so that it's comfortable to watch. but maybe they don't think tennis is important enough to use a good camera? or maybe they don't have one good enough? whatever the case, i think the camera angle is a much easier problem to solve and i think it makes a bigger difference.

when they started coverage (where i live), you couldn't see the ball at all and it was clear that the camera was very far and high up from the court. then they started using the camera behind one of the players (on the court, looking directly forward) and it was perfect. actually, i like that angle better. then they changed back after a while and it seemed they moved the original camera to a lower position and it was a quite a bit more visible compared to when they started. i would have prefered the 2nd camera angle though - i think it's a better angle to observe from and the visibility was way better too.

marti_228
04-17-2006, 08:38 PM
I couldn´t see the ball either, I just could watched some minutes of the match between Nalbandian and Malisse, it was 7 AM in Buenos Aires and I had just got up so maybe it was also because I was very sleepy ;)

KoOlMaNsEaN
04-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Same here! On Court Centrale I cannot see the ball only at my end.
On Court de Princes it was fine because the camera angle was lower.
Sucks

NyGeL
04-17-2006, 08:59 PM
they should play with a black ball :p

Velvetcat
04-17-2006, 09:01 PM
:lol: I had trouble locating the ball on the main court too. The court was very bright I thought, & very light.

Watching Nalbandian/Malisse was alright, the court seemed quite a bit darker, so much so that from certain angles it looked like it was being played indoors.

Washa Koroleva
04-17-2006, 09:14 PM
haha hehehe

lunahielo
04-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Same problem here~~~It would appear and then suddenly disappear~ :eek:

I agree that the problem is the camera angle~~when they lowered it, it was much better.
I have a sharp, big screen TV, too. :confused:
(and good eyesight :) )
luna

buddyholly
04-18-2006, 02:52 AM
Every year I forget how futile clay can be to watch.
I turn on the TV at 2am local time - and at 2.05am go back to bed, until Wimbledon Opening Day.
Forget clay. You can play on it, but you can't watch it on TV. They need to have an electronic yellow point of light, like they have on TV hockey to highlight the location of the puck.

buddyholly
04-18-2006, 02:57 AM
Try lowering the colour level and turn down the bright on the TV.

Billabong
04-18-2006, 03:56 AM
you're right!!

shotgun
04-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Yep, it's almost impossible to follow the matches. They should paint the balls dark blue or something. :p