The "So You're Saying It's A Party In Your Pants." Thread 01 [Archive] - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

The "So You're Saying It's A Party In Your Pants." Thread 01

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Lisbeth
01-11-2004, 10:38 PM
I don't like people who abandon their own, adopted or not, in bad times.

dagmar7
01-11-2004, 10:43 PM
I feel sorry for him too. I actually think it's a bit strange that they can reveal this before the hearing, especially when, supposedly, 6 or so other players will never have their names released due to being found innocent! Though I admit I'd LOVE to know who the 6 are and - most interestingly - where they're from, LOL.

Yes, indeed, we were discussing this a little way back--hence the thread title.:o

The tour's punishments seem--to say the least--sort of arbitrary as to how they are enforced. I'm happy if WADA or any outside agency gets involved.

dagmar7
01-11-2004, 10:58 PM
My supper is ready. I have to get up early tomorrow so I should take my uber-posting self offline.:o

:wavey:

star
01-11-2004, 11:31 PM
I don't like people who abandon their own, adopted or not, in bad times.

That's the way it's always been with Greg. When he's winning they love him and when he's not....... he's Canadian. Mary Pierce too.... The French are glad to claim her when she's winning. That's one thing that the American press has never done to her. She's regarded as American even though she plays for France and it doesn't matter if she's doing well or losing, she's still American.

Lisbeth
01-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Well that's nice to hear about Mary. I suspect that what the tabloids say is not what normal British people think, just quietly.

I can't think of an Aussie equivalent. Maybe Jelena - I wouldn't say people actually support her but there's a definite vibe that she'd be welcomed back with a second chance if she wanted to be.

Lisbeth
01-11-2004, 11:34 PM
There's not a lot of live scores going on for the Adidas. I wonder if they're actually playing?

star
01-12-2004, 01:03 AM
I think maybe women's matches are being played right now.

Lisbeth
01-12-2004, 01:08 AM
Maybe - how did you find out though? All the usual places are silent!

Oh well, I will go out at lunchtime and see if I can find a TV then report back.

star
01-12-2004, 01:09 AM
I did it on that tv 7 place that you posted.

Lisbeth
01-12-2004, 01:10 AM
Oh thanks, I thought those were yesterday's women's matches (Nicole Pratt etc) but I'll go and check.

Channel 7 is the main free-to-air channel which covers tennis here, so it should be a reliable source.

Lisbeth
01-12-2004, 02:45 AM
Lleyton should be starting soon, woohoo! I'm off to see if anyone has located a telly!

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 04:31 AM
Lleyton wins 6-4, 6-2 :bigclap: :bounce:

Kim is officially a go for Sydney..this oughta be interesting :p

Lisbeth
01-12-2004, 04:33 AM
Yes, I hope Kim is OK. I don't think she'd play if she wasn't. Sounds like she's practised already if she's announced she's playing.

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 04:35 AM
I guess it's just hard to imagine her being fit enough to play when like 5 days ago she couldn't even put any weight on her foot :unsure:

But like you said..she wasn't going to play unless her practice went well...so I suppose it did :shrug:

Lisbeth
01-12-2004, 04:37 AM
It's certainly true that swelling can make an injury feel a lot worse than it is. But wasn't she meeting up with her own physio/trainer in Sydney (Evelyn?)? And I'm sure she would have had access to Lleyton's crew before that who are amongst the best.

Lisbeth
01-12-2004, 04:38 AM
At least it sounds like Lleyton playing quite well. Someone said his first serve is a bit rusty but at the same time he hit a few aces. Sounds like some aggression, which I think is good news for him.

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 04:42 AM
Yeah sounds like Lleyton had a solid performance :D

and yes Kim was meeting up with Evelyn and also some WTA trainers I believe. Plus she was also getting treatment on it every day according to her diary.

I suppose she wouldn't play if they told her she shouldn't..

Lisbeth
01-12-2004, 04:50 AM
No, I suppose not. LOL, do you think she knows how much angst she causes us?

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 04:54 AM
No, I suppose not. LOL, do you think she knows how much angst she causes us?

lol no kidding :o :p

At least Kim is cool to keep us up to date with her diary. That way we know exactly what's going on and how she's feeling.

I'm not going to be able to bear following the online scores of her first match :o

Goonergal
01-12-2004, 07:04 AM
Lleyton :) :) plus a morale boosting win for Greg, 7-6, 7-6 over Chela :)

Kim :tape: I don't think this is sensible playing Sydney...but hey we'll see I guess!

tournesol
01-12-2004, 08:00 AM
:wavey: ladies

:angel: e: if i don't see you :hug: :hug: :hug:

your letter is great but as far as i know it's extremely uncommon to be fully informed of all the unpleasant sides of an operation or even a treatment (even people who have had similar operation/treatment are often reluctant to admit the full extend of the suffering involved) - but nevertheless you should sent it

dagmar: thanks for the qualies draw of sydney - great start from the belgian guys :rolleyes:

and finally

well done LL :clap2: we want more :)

Angele
01-12-2004, 11:01 AM
:wavey: Anybody here?

Angele
01-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Well done Lleyton :yeah:

Speaking of Ll, I had the most horrible dream last night :unsure: I dreamt that some newspix pictures popped up of Lleyton laying down on a bed making out with some blonde rugby player ( do women even play rugby? :unsure: ). When Lley was asked about it later, he was just like oh it was just for fun, nothing serious... I woke up in a bit of a panic :o

Jess
01-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Hiya angele :wavey:
lol - very strange dream, I think he'd probably run a mile.

Found this article some Ll mentions - not very good though.

Court hunks too sexy for their shorts
Comment by Jeff Wells
January 12, 2004

WE'VE got the drugs. We've got the sex. Now let's rock 'n roll.

We're talking, metaphorically, about men's tennis 2004. Not hoping that John McEnroe or Pat Cash ever reappear with a guitar.

The drugs is the easy headline. Greg Rusedski, like a legion of athletes in different sports, has tested positive to the steroid nandrolone and claims 46 other players have done the same. It goes back to last July and ATP trainers had been unwittingly guilty of handing it out in supplements and tablets.

He has his hearing next month and could get two years. He is innocent until the tribunal finds him guilty. Yesterday at the adidas International Lleyton Hewitt said he wasn't a great mate of Greg's but would still "say hello". Rusedski came in and wasted time by making a statement to the same effect and refusing to answer questions - like what was his lawyer's phone number.

But it looks like we're stuck with the story, like a bad smell.

Now the sex. Sadly I came off a bad second best in a bruising interview room encounter with Hewitt on the subject. I was wearing a hat very popular along Oxford St and most of the local and international media left the tent thinking that I had become the gay lover of tennis media hunk John Thirsk - not that there's anything wrong with it -- who was sitting very close to me, baring his famously tanned thighs, in a very fetching pair of polyester-spandex Nike Andrew Ilie-autograph shorts with the little AFL cutaway on the sides.

My point was very simple. For years the WTA had been getting away with marketing their players as sex symbols, including some very strange people like Serena Williams, who is straight out of one of those R.Crumb "let's boogie" style comics from the 60s. We're talking about some big bulges, baby.

Now the women are fading fast and the Julios are taking over the men's tour. At number one we have Randy Andy Roddick. Great name. Then Big Roger Federer, who now has his own brand of RF Cosmetics, inspired by the pet cow he milked after winning Wimbledon. Then there is Juan Carlos "El Gel" Ferrero, and the great knob-head Mr Steffi Graf, who also has his own cologne called Andre Agassi's Aramis Life, named after a famous swordsman.

Lleyton is, unfortunately, spoken for but we can also parade The Poo. Is there a better looking man on the planet? Personally, he has grave doubts. American James Blake used to have the dreadlocks because he hated combing his hair. Now he still doesn't comb. He's bald as a billiard ball and the girls are going wild.

Frankly it is not even a contest any more. The boys are everywhere. RA Rod has made his acting debut on Saturday Night Live and magazines like Elle, GQ and Vogue - let alone the wristier sweaty body rags - have been queuing up for any male who can hold a racquet. Woman's Day may be doing a Fred Stolle centre spread.

The new ATP guide even has a picture of Ferrero at Real Madrid up close and personal with David Beckham and holding one of Becks' ... well, it appears to be some kind of soccer ball.

On and on it goes. The new ATP magazine Deuce has been described as more Vanity Fair than Sports Illustrated. Tim Henman is forever on the catwalk. And probably falling off. The WTA is in shreds. It's all over when there ain't no Kournikova.

Clearly, I put it to Hewitt, the challenge to the women had been well and truly issued. The women had been blatantly peddling sex.

"Do you like that?" he sneered, noting my very close proximity to the pulsating Thirsk.

"Certainly not," I said. Big mistake. I only meant that I'd always figured tennis ought to be promoted on talent alone.

"Thirsky does," he said.

"Thirsky and I are very close," I said. Bigger mistake. Now he had me pegged all right. Everybody had. So I droned on with a list of the top players and what a bunch of spunks they all were.

"All very sexy guys," I said. "Have the men really caught up with the women?"

"Are we? I don't know mate," he said. He didn't know, he said, if marketing sexy men, if talking about men's sex appeal, would be a positive, or draw bigger crowds. 'Someone like yourself," he winked, "you prefer not to see it." Obviously he was hinting that I couldn't see past a certain colleague.

Well, there you go. The ATP goes to extraordinary lengths to portray its new young guns as the ultimate hornbags. And this little goose, just because he has this fabulous fiancee Kim - who is a lot better than Kath - and loves nothing more than annoying the ATP won't give me a decent story and ruins my reputation into the bargain.

So he got up and left. And I noticed one thing. Thirsky had better legs anyway.

Angele
01-12-2004, 11:14 AM
:angel: e: if i don't see you :hug: :hug: :hug:

your letter is great but as far as i know it's extremely uncommon to be fully informed of all the unpleasant sides of an operation or even a treatment (even people who have had similar operation/treatment are often reluctant to admit the full extend of the suffering involved) - but nevertheless you should sent it

Yes I know what you mean about most people not getting the full details but as far as I'm concerned having my jaw wired shut for 4 weeks when I was told quite the opposite isn't just a little minor detail. Plus there's the fact that although my doctor didn't technically lie to me, he did allow me to believe something that he knew wasn't true :(

Angele
01-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Hey Jessica :wavey: That's a great article :lol:

Jess
01-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Hiya :wavey: how you feeling today.

Angele
01-12-2004, 11:22 AM
I'm feeling alright today... I've gotta go though, starting to feel a little light headed :(

:wavey: Cya later!

tournesol
01-12-2004, 11:27 AM
I'm feeling alright today... I've gotta go though, starting to feel a little light headed :(

:wavey: Cya later!

:wavey: :angel: e and jessica

edit: are you back to rainy europe?

Jess
01-12-2004, 11:29 AM
Yeah I've gotta go too - back at school tomorrow :rolleyes: and a bit of stuff to do first.
See you later :wavey:

Jess
01-12-2004, 11:31 AM
:wavey: :angel: e and jessica

edit: are you back to rainy europe?

Yes :rolleyes: and it is VERY rainy today! English winters are just lovely.

star
01-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Here's Richard Hinds column. He says that Greg went public with the steroid test himself. That explains why only Greg's name has been mentioned. Maybe Schuettler was another and that is why he is playing so badly. So here you go.... Vintage Hinds btw, and the thing about Jelena at the end is pretty funny.

"All the players have been really positive in the locker room," said Greg Rusedski, flashing that big, goofy grin.

Given the drugs cloud currently hanging over his sport, and the pickle he finds himself in, it was not the most tactful way for the Englishman - or, as he is probably better known in the Old Dart now, the former Canadian - to state that other players have been supportive. But for Rusedski, being positive yesterday was for once not such a bad thing.

In his first match since verifying rumours he had tested positive for the steroid nandrolone, Rusedski beat Argentinian Juan Ignacio Chela 7-6 (7-1), 7-6 (7-5) in their first-round match at the adidas International. Considering the enormous pressure he has been under, it was an unusually tenacious performance by a man who, to put it nicely, is not renowned as one of the game's great warriors.

Throughout a solid but somewhat unfulfilled career, Rusedski has made a US Open final, enjoyed a world ranking as lofty as No.4 and helped Tim Henman torture success-starved English tennis fans by reaching the quarter-finals at Wimbledon in 1997. But another injury, a dodgy call or, perhaps most pertinently, a slightly fragile psyche had always seemed to stand between Rusedski and a place amongst the game's true elite.

Yet regardless of whether a hearing next month finds that the 30-year-old was, as he claims, the victim of a cock-up by ATP support staff or that he knowingly took the banned substance, you could not fault his heart and nerve yesterday, given the enormous pressure he had been under since news of the positive test broke.

Rusedski was greeted with warm applause when he was introduced and a rousing ovation when he won. His reaction, a double-fist pump, confirmed this was anything but an average first-round victory at what is essentially a warm-up event for the Australian Open.

Given Chela had himself served a three-month ban after returning a positive test in 2001, it could be suggested that this match was the closest thing the sport had to chemical warfare. The only weapon of mass destruction proved to be the big serve Rusedski used to extricate himself from the odd spot of trouble - most notably when he saved two set points in the second set with booming aces.

Perhaps the most emphatic moment came when Rusedski pounded down a 217kmh fireball to clinch the first set. It was the sort of thumping delivery for which he is renowned, a part of the game that has no doubt - in the best possible way - helped keep him positive in recent times.

"Obviously, I know I'm innocent," he said when asked why he remained in the spotlight with the drugs case hanging over his head. "I've stated from the beginning I'm not going to hide. I'm going out here and I'm going to play. I'm going to do my best. This is my job and I love it. That's why I'm here."

Hiding from the media is one thing Rusedski has never done. Indeed, in the stand-offish world of professional tennis, he is something of a media junkie. At Wimbledon he has worn the sponsored logo of a tabloid newspaper, and last year his wife, Lucy, conducted player interviews for the BBC - some of them so excruciating it would have been far less surprising if she had tested positive to a banned substance.

So it was probably no surprise Rusedski went public with the test results, even if yesterday he deflected most questions about his drugs case with his new mantra: "I have put out my statement. If you have any further questions please contact my lawyer, Mark Gay."

Predictably, those appeals were ignored by his interrogators. For the most part Rusedski remained as composed and focused as he had been on the court. His only look of bewilderment came when a representative from a television comedy show posing as a reporter asked him about an alleged romance with Marat Safin. The "reporter" then left hurriedly, claiming he was meant to be in Jelena Dokic's press conference - which would have been pretty funny if, indeed, it had been funny.

It's a pity the routine fell flat. With drugs and gambling scandals and even plain old-fashioned injuries threatening to overshadow the summer circuit, there are a few people in tennis who could use a good laugh. But, for one day at least, Rusedski was not one of them.

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 02:27 PM
That 6.0 for Cohen was really bizarre.:o

I agree. I was watching in one of my rooms, and my dad was in the living room. When that score came up, I went into the living room and the first thing my dad said, "She fell! How the hell do you get a 6.0 if you fall? That's crap."

Then again, we are big Kwan fans, so we're a bit biased :p

star
01-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Yeah, a 6.0 even for presentation shouldn't happen particularly with a bad fall.

But Cohen is an amazingly beautiful skater. Her positions on the ice and her difficulty are better than Kwan, but Kwan is the better competitor. Standing up is important. :)

Kwan's layback spin is incredibly annoying to me though, and when the crowd wildly applauds it, I get even more annoyed.

And I don't see how Kwan gets 6.0's with that incorrect leg position on the layback. So to me, the award of 6.0's are incorrect for both skaters.

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Getting a 6.0 for presentation when you have a fall is definatly questionable..but I suppose if it didn't really interrupt the flow of the program badly you can award a 6.0

There are pics of Kim training :o I think she's got new shoes :p

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 03:59 PM
Can anybody explain to me what how they've changed the judging protocols and whatnot? Not that that would explain a perfect mark with a fall...

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Can anybody explain to me what how they've changed the judging protocols and whatnot? Not that that would explain a perfect mark with a fall...

They were probably using the old system..for the Canadian Nationals they used the old judging system. The new system adds up the total points and player with most total points wins..so if you didn't see that then they were using the old system.

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 05:59 PM
What did the old system do?

Angele
01-12-2004, 07:26 PM

Angele
01-12-2004, 07:28 PM
What did the old system do?
The old system took away points... every player started at 6.0 ( 10.0 for the pros) and the judges deducted whatever needed to be taken off because of falls, missed requirements etc... With the new system, the judges give points for elements, requirements, etc... There are some restrictions, like you can only do so many combinations and stuff like that but that's basically it, or at least that's what I know of it :unsure:

Angele
01-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Today has been a good day :cool: I had some "real" food for lunch... soup and ice cream for desert :lick: And my three closest friends came over to visit so that was great :D I was really glad to see them. And bless them, their expressions didn't even change when they saw my swelled up face for the first time :o I decided that my face looks like what it would look like if I gained about 150 pounds :ras: But anyways enough of that negative stuff cuz I had a great day :bounce:

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 07:41 PM
Great to hear Ange :D

Angele
01-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Still here Ileana? :wavey:

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Yup I'm around ;) I'm trying to find Kim's new shoes on Fila's site..no luck yet though..I don't think they're up :confused:

Angele
01-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Maybe they're totally new shoes and they want to have some kind of launch for them at the AO :confused:

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 07:50 PM
It's possible..they definatly have no shoes on their site with that sort of aqua blue and silver at the back of the shoe, like on hers.

I've had quite enough of the Red Fila Magna shoe so this is a nice change ;)

Angele
01-12-2004, 07:54 PM
I hope we get some new outfits this season :bounce: The red shoes aren't very nice :o and although the red oufits look really good on Kim, it's time for a change!

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 07:57 PM
They definatly need to get away from the red for awhile..even though I like blue they might want to leave that for a bit as well..try a new colour :D

Jess
01-12-2004, 08:00 PM
:wavey: Hiya

Angele
01-12-2004, 08:00 PM
If we do get some new outfits they'll no doubt be the same color as Kim's new shoes :p That wouldn't be too bad though!

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Hey Jess :wavey:

How's sunny England :p

Angele
01-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Hey Jessica :wavey:

Jess
01-12-2004, 08:03 PM
England is currently dark, cold and miserable! :rolleyes: Ah well...
Hows Canada!
And I have to go back to school tomorrow after a nice nearly four week holiday :o Great fun. On the bright side though only another four months and then I get to leave forever :bounce:

Good to hear you're feeling a bit better angele!

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 08:06 PM
If we do get some new outfits they'll no doubt be the same color as Kim's new shoes :p That wouldn't be too bad though!

Very true..her shoes have a very nice bluish-aqua and silver on them ;) white and black too..

I would suggest they try something green..but there really aren't a lot of nice green shades. :p

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Canada is much improved :D The weather has gone from -20 ish to -8 today :bounce:

I'm just about ready to break out the shorts :p

Knockers LaBroad

Lleyton!:yippee::dance:

Kim....:scared: I'm still worried....:o
And congrats to her for sportsperson of the year in Belgium!:aparty:
Marc Herremans said she's the only worthy winner, he even said she was delighted and over the moon when he got her on the phone. The new trophy will certainly get a special place in the Clijsters-Hewitt villa in Bree!:angel:

Jess
I don't think a green outfit would be very nice :rolleyes: Blue wouldn't be too bad though.

Angele
01-12-2004, 08:08 PM
I've met very few people who can pull off green well :o I certainly can't :p

Silver? :unsure: That reminds me of the silver USO dress that never was... but could it still be in the back of a closet somewhere? :o

Angele
01-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Hey Elke :wavey:

Marc and Kim seem to be really great friends :angel:

Angele
01-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Commercials for food shouldn't be on tv :tape: :(

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 08:13 PM
I've met very few people who can pull off green well :o I certainly can't :p

Silver? :unsure: That reminds me of the silver USO dress that never was... but could it still be in the back of a closet somewhere? :o

Well Nike did a men's shirt in a nice Green..this one:

http://in.yimg.com/xp/reuters_ids_new/20021022/2818711602.jpg

I thought it was a really nice color :angel: Plus green would bring out Kim's eyes ;) :p

I have a t-shirt that's almost the exact same color..looks great :D

Jess
01-12-2004, 08:14 PM
That shirts not too bad actually... I think blue would be nicer though

Knockers LaBroad
01-12-2004, 08:14 PM
Yup, they are really great friends, there aren't many tournaments in Europe where Marc and his gf aren't there. And when they are in Belgium, they are often going out together.
Kim specially waved to Marc and Martine when they announced she had won!:D
And Martine, Marc's gf, had a tear in her eye and Marc waved back!:angel:

Angele
01-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Actually that's a nice green color. I was thinking more of a bright green color :o That color would look nice on Kim I think!

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Hey Elke..I'm totally nervous about Kim as well :scared: :unsure: I don't think her practice went all that great :o

Anyhoo back to the colours ;) I think Silver is a great colour for a shoe..but it doesn't look as nice on clothing :(

Let's go for something wild..like Orange :D It'll be like sunshine Kimmie :p

Knockers LaBroad
01-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Kim looks great with flashy colours, even yellow or pink!

Angele
01-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Yup, they are really great friends, there aren't many tournaments in Europe where Marc and his gf aren't there. And when they are in Belgium, they are often going out together.
Kim specially waved to Marc and Martine when they announced she had won!:D
And Martine, Marc's gf, had a tear in her eye and Marc waved back!:angel:
That's really sweet :angel: It's really great that they're such great friends. I'm sure both couples have a great time when they go out together!

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Actually that's a nice green color. I was thinking more of a bright green color :o That color would look nice on Kim I think!

I'm pretty sure bright green popped into all your heads :p I knew what I was thinking though ;)

It would just a different colour than what Fila has used in years. They can't seem to get away from blue and red :o Even her old French Open outfit..baby blue and red :o :p

Angele
01-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Nothing was worse than the grey and white though :o

Jess
01-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Anyhoo back to the colours ;) I think Silver is a great colour for a shoe..but it doesn't look as nice on clothing :(

Let's go for something wild..like Orange :D It'll be like sunshine Kimmie :p

Definitely agree about Silver... that would be a kind of Serena type outfit :rolleyes:

Not sure Kim would quite pull off sunshine orange either ;)

Angele
01-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Kim looks great in pink :yeah: Haven't seen too much yellow on her but that raincoat at USO looked great :p

Angele
01-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Am I ever glad that Kim never wore that supposed silver outfit at the USO :o I was picturing this one peice shiny silver outfit :tape: I wonder if it ever really existed though? :scratch:

Jess
01-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Eurgh shiny silver :unsure: that does not sound nice! May as well go out wearing foil :rolleyes:

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Fila doesn't seem to be very daring when it comes to clothing colours :rolleyes: They need my input :angel: :p

Nike already did the pink..It would be interesting to see yellow though ;)

I think we'll be stuck with the Navy blue skirt and the white top with the little stripes on the sleeves for awhile :( Although that outfit is classic Kim :angel:

Jess
01-12-2004, 08:27 PM
Yeah I don't think Kim is going to come out with anything too radical... it's not exactly her style is it.
And I would rather she wore vaguely sensible outfits than start designing her own :p like certain people we could mention :rolleyes:

Knockers LaBroad
01-12-2004, 08:27 PM
As we're talking about fashion....:angel:

Fashion always finds a way
By Toby Forage

WHEN the Williams sisters were ruled out through injury for this year's US Open, sports fashion watchers everywhere were sent into mild panic.

The designer duo of Serena and Venus have never failed to raise eyebrows with their outfits - from catsuits to peek-a-boos - and their omission from the New York tournament left not only the tennis side of things wide open, but the fashion stakes as well. (Ace fashion)

The courts are still catwalks for sports designers, but Australian efforts have so far remained somewhat behind the baseline at Flushing Meadows.

Lleyton Hewitt, Mark Philippoussis, Alicia Molik and their "dowdy" compatriots will point to tennis performance as the most important thing. It's a good defence, but one that won't wash with showbiz editors searching for sport's latest model material.

The fashion editor of Vogue, Anna Wintour, was in the stands yesterday, which means looking good will remain a priority for many.

In the opening days of he year's final grand slam, we've seen Russian screamer Maria Sharapova pretty in pink, Gallic favourite Arnaud Clement in "shmooth" shades, and all-American heroine Jennifer Capriati plastered in patriotic stars.

"Just call me the star-spangled Jennifer," the native New Yorker said about her new look, but Sharapova, whose pink sneakers matched her dress, tried to distance herself from the inevitable comparisons to Anna Kournikova.

"I'm Maria Sharapova and not anyone else," she said, dismissing talk of being unofficially crowned the new "babe" of the women's tour.

"You know, to be a babe, that's like the last thing on my mind."

The 16-year-old, though, has willingly or not issued a warning to celluloid magnet Kournikova, who put in an appearance at the Arthur Ashe Kids' Day prior to the tournament.

Injury has kept Kournikova out of the draw, but true to form, she didn't disappoint the snappers, waltzing around in a gun-metal micro-mini skirt and white top.

Australia's former world No.1 Hewitt and his Belgian girlfriend Kim Clijsters, have not had the cameras clicking.

Clijsters chooses sensible over sexy, while Hewitt, whose backwards cap is more passe than rebellious these days, has dragged nothing adventurous from his wardrobe either.

In fact men's tennis might only be so competitive today because the days of Andre Agassi's mighty bleached mullet and Pat Rafter's boardies are, thankfully, far behind us.

Only James Blake, who reveals more than most with his singlet tops, appears to be keeping pace. Interestingly, he is ranked well outside the men's top 30.

Fellow American Andy Roddick has tried, and failed, to make the sun visor as cool in tennis as it is in women's golf, with new coach Brad Gilbert consigning it to the garbage in favour of a more straight-laced baseball cap. Interestingly, his ranking is No.4, and he has won three of his past four tournaments.

Post-match press conferences continue to point to the No.1 fashion seeds. Sharapova and Capriati are certainly among them, both having been asked about not only their tennis, but their clothing, too.

Jelena Dokic, whose training-style outfits and an emerging eastern European beauty are making headlines, is fighting as well, but the spikes rise when the talk turns away from lobs to looks.

"People should stop looking for a babe," she said after her first round victory yesterday.

"They should look at tennis players first. There are plenty of good-looking girls out here besides Anna (Kournikova)." The feisty Dokic, though, can't rule out the advantages of looking good on the court. "If you can look good at the same time, it's a bonus," she admitted.

For others - sorry Lleyton, sorry Kim, and very sorry Greg Rusedski - the chat topic remains strictly tennis.

And we eagerly await the day when a reporter suggests to Hewitt that he might improve his indifferent form via an investment in frilly shorts and a crop top

Angele
01-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Well if Kim were to design her own outfits I'm positive they'd be nicer than Serena's :o Heck even I could design something nice than that :p

Angele
01-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Nike's pink was like baby pink so Fila could always snatch up bright pink :p

I agree about Kim's current oufit though, I think we'll be seeing it for a while. It is classic Kim though, really nice on her. I thought the red was really nice on her as well though!

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Actually speaking of Flip..is he not with Fila anymore? :confused:

Their website has Cappy as their primary athlete and under More athletes it lists Kim Clijsters and Rainer Schuettler only.

Jess
01-12-2004, 08:34 PM
And that articles right - they obviously aren't out to look sexy - it's more important to play well and win matches :p

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 08:36 PM
I don't like Fila but there is really no where else to go :( If you go to Nike you're a clone..Adidas doesn't impress me at all.. Reebok has like Venus..and that's it. Yonex is by far the worst :o

Angele
01-12-2004, 08:36 PM
And that articles right - they obviously aren't out to look sexy - it's more important to play well and win matches :p
Thankfully for us though Lley manages to be sexy even without trying :drool:

Angele
01-12-2004, 08:38 PM
I don't like Fila but there is really no where else to go :( If you go to Nike you're a clone..Adidas doesn't impress me at all.. Reebok has like Venus..and that's it. Yonex is by far the worst :o
omg Yonex is just absolutely horrible :o

Nike has far too many atheletes and their latest outfits aren't even that nice :o Adidas has a combination of Nike ( too many athletes) and Fila ( not changing their style enough) and that makes for pretty boring stuff :o Reebok, well, yeah :p Nothing Venus has worn has ever been particularily nice. Nothing :eek: like Serena but nothing too great either.

Jess
01-12-2004, 08:40 PM
There is a video clip of Lleyton's match earlier at:

http://sports.ninemsn.com.au/homepage.asp?MSID=d1bc9e502dfa41a191c8ee2316c3e9e6 if it works :rolleyes: It starts at about 1m50 after a clip of golf.

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Fila really has no excuse as they now appear to only have 3 athletes under their care :p

You can design specifically for 3 people!

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Well I'm off :wavey:

Angele
01-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Cya later Ileana :wavey:

Jess
Bye :wavey:
I'm going to go now as well - have to be up early in the morning :rolleyes:

Angele
Had to reboot my computer :( It's been freaking out on me lately :confused:

Angele
01-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Cya later Jess :wavey:

Angele
01-12-2004, 08:54 PM
btw thanks for the link to the video Jess :kiss:

Jess
01-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Bye :wavey:

Angele
01-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Well I suppose I'm off as well then :p

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 09:34 PM
The old system took away points... every player started at 6.0 ( 10.0 for the pros) and the judges deducted whatever needed to be taken off because of falls, missed requirements etc... With the new system, the judges give points for elements, requirements, etc... There are some restrictions, like you can only do so many combinations and stuff like that but that's basically it, or at least that's what I know of it :unsure:

Thanks, comprede. But how does that make a difference?

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 09:42 PM
I liked one of Venus's Reebok outfits. I think it was from the 2002 USO. It was a nice dark blue color. Much better than the horrid catsuit :p

I think green would be a nice color. Not the pea green like Nike came out with, but a nice dark emerald or forest green. But then, I am rather biased towards dark green, as I look quite nice in it :p It makes my eyes look darker.

Lisbeth
01-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Have I missed everyone?

Nice articles in the Herald this morning ... I guess I'll go post them in the articles thread if I can find them online.

Angele, are you having any chicken broth (preferably home made)? That's my lifesaver when I have to go on a liquid diet. It's one of the few things that 1. have a good whack of protein, and 2. isn't cloyingly sweet.

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Ooh, how 'bout tomato soup? I love that.

Also, is it just me, or are people at WTAworld really overreacting re: Kim's injury and her decision to try Sydney?

Lisbeth
01-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Yeah they're over-reacting. I got riled up enough to post in one where they were going on about her throwing her career away and she should have surgery RIGHT NOW. Hello, we don't even know the exact nature of the injury and I doubt if she'd been advised to definitely have surgery right now, she'd be having it. Someone even said "but then, she's a stupid girl". Grrrrrr.

They showed Kim jogging on the news last night - not very fast but definitely jogging, not hobbling or anything. She had a big grin on, as always. Didn't look in pain.

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Thanks, comprede. But how does that make a difference?

Now they count up instead of subtracting from 6.0 I believe..it's suppose to make a big difference, although I'm not entirely sure how :confused: oh and they got rid of the ordinals I believe..which was so completely retarded in the first place :rolleyes:

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 10:07 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the WTAworlders are jumping the gun :p As I've seen a few sensible people point out, everybody and their dog wanted Kim to have surgery on her shoulder, when quite obviously she didn't need it.

Counting up, counting down, what's the difference? And what the hell are ordinals? :p

Chesty Larue
All the freaking articles about it aren't help..they're getting everyone all riled as well :rolleyes: Titles like 'Injured Clijsters ready to risk all' :rolleyes:

Just for that I hope she goes out and smokes 'em :p

Lisbeth
I'm allergic to tomato, but I agree any soup without bits in it should be good for Angele. Maybe a thinnish potato and leek soup would be nice too? The thing about chicken soup in particular is the protein, I suppose, plus I think they've supposedly proven it's an anti-inflammatory, but that's probably just because it makes you feel better!.

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 10:11 PM
Ordinals are where the individual judges think the skater should be placed..like first, second, third whatever.

Ordinals are the reason for the whole Olympic scandal..cause S/P point wise finished with more points than B/S ..but the French judges second place ordinal for them basically put them in second :rolleyes:

If you count down you take away for every mistake made by the skater..if you count up you add points for every spin/jump whatever that's completed successfully..at least that's what I think it is :scratch:

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 10:12 PM
I'm not a real doctor (though Ileana must continue to recognize me as such on penalty of being pushed over :p) but I can't imagine that Kim could be [dramatic music]RISKING HER ENTIRE CAREER![/dramatic music]

I'm not a big fan of chicken broth. I always notice the globs of fat floating on top.

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 10:13 PM
That makes sense, but I still don't really see how it would make that much difference points-wise. But whatever :p

The US Nationals had ordinals.

Lisbeth
01-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Ah, well if you skim it properly while it's cooking, then put it in the fridge till it sets and lift the remaining fat off the top, it actually should not have any fat in it. However, for someone on an all-liquid diet, getting enough fat is a major concern so on those occasions one leaves a small amount in but makes sure it's homogenised through the soup. The globs don't sound so tasty, I agree!

BTW, I don't normally eat broth plain either, unless I have no choice!

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 10:17 PM
I'm too lazy to skim and fridge :p I disgust my mother because I have a habit of eating ravioli cold straight out of the can :p

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 10:18 PM
That makes sense, but I still don't really see how it would make that much difference points-wise. But whatever :p

Then they were using the old system..just like at the Canadian Nationals.

Hey Lady! I do the pushing around here :fiery: :p

Lisbeth
01-12-2004, 10:24 PM
ravioli comes in a can?

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 10:26 PM
That's Dr. Lady to you, biatch! :fiery: :p

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 10:29 PM
Of course ravioli comes in a can :p www.chefboyardee.com

Lisbeth
01-12-2004, 10:35 PM
I don't think we have that here. We can get pre-made raviolo from the refrigerated goods section though.

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 10:35 PM
I haven't had chef boyardee since I was like 5 :p

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Hell, canned ravioli/sphaghetti or cold cereal is all I eat when I'm home alone on my off days :p

Kate05
01-12-2004, 10:39 PM
How lovely to be stumbling into a conversation about Chef Boyardee products and figure skating. :p

Too bad that Kim might have to have surgery in the future and that she has to always tape her ankle now, I was hoping it might not come to that.

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 10:39 PM
If I'm alone I usually have macaroni & cheese :lick: or if we have them..wings :lick:

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Yes, well, I don't like buffalo meat :p

:wazzup: Kate?

Kate05
01-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Sweet Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and a camel Alias was good last night! And y'all should've seen how much I squeeled like a bitch during those hot Syd/Vaughn previews for next week. See all it takes is an Asian capture and lined execution to tell someone how much you love them. :p

And I so called it, Lauren is evil. whee!

Lisbeth
01-12-2004, 10:47 PM
Why are chicken wings called buffalo wings up there?

Kate05
01-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Marly is the girl in your picture holding a demented tampon? :lol:

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 10:51 PM
I'm so pumped Vaughn's wife is evil :D All this season needs to be great is the return of Sydney's mom! :D

It's called a cue stick, Kate :p

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Why are chicken wings called buffalo wings up there?

I think they're called Chicken wings here..not sure though. I haven't a clue why they're called Buffalo wings :confused:

They're yummy though :drool:

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Don't tell me you missed the Jessica Simpson joke :p

Lisbeth
01-12-2004, 10:54 PM
I agree they're yummy - I like them many different ways. I've just always wondered why some people call them buffalo wings seeing as, well, if buffalos did have wings they'd be a tad bigger!

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 10:56 PM
It's called a cue stick, Kate :p

LMAO :haha:

Chesty Larue
01-12-2004, 10:58 PM
I agree they're yummy - I like them many different ways. I've just always wondered why some people call them buffalo wings seeing as, well, if buffalos did have wings they'd be a tad bigger!

I think it has something to do with them gaining popularity in the city of Buffalo.

Lisbeth
01-12-2004, 11:00 PM
That makes sense. Thanks for clearing up one of my great mysteries!

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Leave it to New Yorkers to come up with a retarded name :p

Murkofan
01-12-2004, 11:01 PM
:wavey: Off to my sister's

dagmar7
01-12-2004, 11:36 PM

Pfff....I missed the figure skating convo.

The new system gives fixed values for certain moves so it awards content more than the old system does. Also because there is no ceiling for the cumulative score, it avoids the situation where the judges don't award an excellent performance at the beginning of the competition so that they can 'leave room' at the top for the following skaters.

Christina was talking about Michelle Kwan's 6.0s for the nationals, but one of the reasons for this score was that they had nowhere to go as they had already scored Sasha so high. So while you can--rightly--argue that Kwan's skating has flaws--the layback position, not enough flow coming out of her jumps, especially the combinations--there was no choice but to give her the marks as her performance was clearly superior to Cohen's.

Does this make sense. It's been a long day, started early.;)

dagmar7
01-12-2004, 11:41 PM
:dagmar: thanks for the qualies draw of sydney - great start from the belgian guys :rolleyes:

and finally

well done LL :clap2: we want more :)

Hey, dani. Yes, more please.:) :) Nice to see a straight sets win. Lopez or Kucera up next. Hmmm....

:( for those Belgians. All gone in the first round. What's up with that cute little--albeit apparently bitchy :)--Olie?

Kate05
01-12-2004, 11:46 PM
I cried at the end of Michelle's long program. :lol: My god if that was the Olympics she would've gotten the gold. Her calmness always seems to shatter during the Olympics.

Angele
01-13-2004, 12:23 AM

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 12:33 AM
The new system gives fixed values for certain moves so it awards content more than the old system does.

Okay, now that makes sense.

Christina was talking about Michelle Kwan's 6.0s for the nationals, but one of the reasons for this score was that they had nowhere to go as they had already scored Sasha so high. So while you can--rightly--argue that Kwan's skating has flaws--the layback position, not enough flow coming out of her jumps, especially the combinations--there was no choice but to give her the marks as her performance was clearly superior to Cohen's.

Eh, I didn't think Cohen's scores were all that high, the 6.0 notwithstanding. I'm not an expert on figure skating as you two seem to be (you should coach. Or maybe judge; no 6.0s from y'all :p) and I obviously didn't see her best performance, but Cohen didn't exactly seem like The Shit to me. She's obviously very, very good, but give me Kwan and her inferior layback positions any day ;) Her skating makes me FEEL things, which is something that none of the other skaters do. It may not be grounds for a string of 6.0s, but I'll take that over everyone else any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

dagmar7
01-13-2004, 12:35 AM
:wavey: Angele

I'm wandering around, checking scores and reading back. Some strange goings on in the tennis world that's for sure.

:scratch:

...and Kate, Michelle always gets so tight and cautious at the Olympics. If only she could skate like she does at her national championships.

*sighs*

Angele
01-13-2004, 12:37 AM
Angele, are you having any chicken broth (preferably home made)? That's my lifesaver when I have to go on a liquid diet. It's one of the few things that 1. have a good whack of protein, and 2. isn't cloyingly sweet.

I had a little bit of that at the hospital and my mom went out to the store to get some today :)

Speaking of my mom, the poor thing can't go anywhere without practically being mobbed :o I live in a small town so news of any kind travels extremely fast and everybody wants to know how I am :o Some people I'd expect to know. My parents' cousins, friends of my parents/aunts/cousins etc... but then some people, I have no idea how they found out :scratch: This woman that I've only ever seen when I was working at the grocery store and that neither of my parents know particularily well asked about me today :confused: And just like everybody has been asking, sending well wishes, etc... I'm a little surprised and :confused: at the same time, I didn't really expect people outside of my immediate family to care enough to stop my mom somewhere to ask about me :o But anyways now going out anywhere takes twice as long as it used to. Hopefully by the time I'm well enough to be out and about people will have forgotten about it :angel:

Angele
01-13-2004, 12:39 AM
:wavey: Marly and Dagmar

Could I be the only person in the world that doesn't like Michelle Kwan? :tape: I can't stand her in fact :o And I don't even know why :o :scratch: She's just always rubbed me the wrong way :shrug:

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 12:41 AM
You certainly seem to be the only person here who doesn't like her :p

:worship: Michelle :worship:

Angele
01-13-2004, 12:41 AM
Ooh, how 'bout tomato soup? I love that.

I LOVE tomato soup :lick: It's what I had today for lunch :yeah: And besides that I've been drinking lots of tomato juice. I'm starting to crave things today. Like just talking about tomato soup makes me want a nice ripe tomato :o

Angele
01-13-2004, 12:43 AM
You certainly seem to be the only person here who doesn't like her :p

:worship: Michelle :worship:
Yeah that seems to be the way it is around here :p I wish I at least had a reason for not liking her :o

dagmar7
01-13-2004, 12:43 AM
Eh, I didn't think Cohen's scores were all that high, the 6.0 notwithstanding. I'm not an expert on figure skating as you two seem to be (you should coach. Or maybe judge; no 6.0s from y'all :p) and I obviously didn't see her best performance, but Cohen didn't exactly seem like The Shit to me. She's obviously very, very good, but give me Kwan and her inferior layback positions any day ;) Her skating makes me FEEL things, which is something that none of the other skaters do. It may not be grounds for a string of 6.0s, but I'll take that over everyone else any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Sasha's technical scores weren't that high, but her presentation ones were, and Michelle clearly had the better presentation so...:)

I think both are great. I love a rivalry with contrasting personalities, and women's skating in the U.S. certainly has that.

Sasha seems like a high-strung headcase--and I say this with affection and, er, some understanding--and Michelle like a supremely well balanced individual. Both are extremely musical, have wonderful posture, extension, edge quality etc. I honestly am fascinated watching them skate in warm-up--they are both that good.

Speaking of skating scandal. What do you think about Canada sending our national senior women's champion to the world juniors so that Jennifer Robinson can go. I totally disagree with the decision.:mad:

;)

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 12:47 AM
Sasha's technical scores weren't that high, but her presentation ones were,

And I think we all agree that is retarded :p Minus the fall(s) her presentation was fine. Not great, in my unprofessional opinion, but fine.

and Michelle clearly had the better presentation so...:)

Michelle's presentations always kick ass.

Speaking of skating scandal. What do you think about Canada sending our national senior women's champion to the world juniors so that Jennifer Robinson can go. I totally disagree with the decision.:mad:

;)

Unsurprisingly, I have no idea of what you speak :p

dagmar7
01-13-2004, 12:48 AM

Could I be the only person in the world that doesn't like Michelle Kwan? :tape: I can't stand her in fact :o And I don't even know why :o :scratch: She's just always rubbed me the wrong way :shrug:

lol...no, I know some others. I can quote "oh, she would have won if she stepped on the ice." I became outraged and shrieked ;), "even if you don't like her, give her some *expletive deleted* credit.

:p

Angele
01-13-2004, 12:48 AM

;)

Well the decision in itself is really irritating but having thought it through, I'm ok with it. I've never been too much of a fan of Jennifer's skating but her days are clearly coming to an end. While what's happening in itself is clearly unfair, I think Phaneuf will be better served going to the world juniors. She had some great skates at the nationals but even if she duplicates those at worlds, she won't do that well. She's got a better chance of doing well at juniors and plus going to senior worlds would mean a lot of pressure on her which would no doubt cause her to not skate as well as she can and at that age, who knows what a horrible competition result might do to her :confused:

btw speaking of Phaneuf, any relation between her and Dion?

Angele
01-13-2004, 12:52 AM
lol...no, I know some others. I can quote "oh, she would have won if she stepped on the ice." I became outraged and shrieked ;), "even if you don't like her, give her some *expletive deleted* credit.

Well I don't dislike her quite to that extent :p While I don't like her I have to admit that she's an extremely talented skater. But that being said, I was still smiling when she didn't win at the Olympics :o I felt bad until I saw the parade of champions thingy and her choice of music was Field(s?) of Gold. It was either a very arrogant choice or a very bad choice if she chose it just because she liked the piece of music.

Ashie_87
01-13-2004, 12:53 AM
Hello people! :wavey:

Kate05
01-13-2004, 12:55 AM
Sasha seems like a high-strung headcase--and I say this with affection and, er, some understanding--and Michelle like a supremely well balanced individual. Both are extremely musical, have wonderful posture, extension, edge quality etc. I honestly am fascinated watching them skate in warm-up--they are both that good.

I've had friends tell me that Sasha is a bit of a headcase and also arrogant. Around here we have to worship her because she's the hometown girl. :rolleyes: She's a beautiful skater, but her personality kind of sucks.

Moulin Rouge is on VH1! I have it on DVD so I don't know why I'm so excited. :p

Angele
01-13-2004, 12:55 AM
Hey Ash :wavey: How are ya?

Angele
01-13-2004, 12:57 AM
I've had friends tell me that Sasha is a bit of a headcase and also arrogant. Around here we have to worship her because she's the hometown girl. :rolleyes: She's a beautiful skater, but her personality kind of sucks.

Moulin Rouge is on VH1! I have it on DVD so I don't know why I'm so excited. :p
Moulin Rouge :hearts: :hearts: I love that movie. My mom got it for me for xmas :D

Sasha's personality does leave a little to be desired. She seems almost brattish :confused:

Ashie_87
01-13-2004, 12:58 AM
i'm doing great! i went to the adidas yesterday...got VERY burnt...and got to see Lleyton's match...i sat courtside (tickets were a present) and his coach and everyone (including Hayden) were sitting right in front of me!!!!! i was so close to Lleyton at one stage that i could touch him..but i didnt :p ...and i met wayne arthurs and got an autograph and photo with him...he called me cute! :angel: how are you today??

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 12:59 AM
:wavey: Ash

her choice of music was Field(s?) of Gold. It was either a very arrogant choice or a very bad choice if she chose it just because she liked the piece of music.

It's Fields of Gold. I think Sting or Rod Stewart or someone sang it first. In any case, I disagree with your statement. I think it was a perfectly fine choice of music. She was hopeful of winning the gold (which personally I thought she should have won in '98) and doing so in front of a home country crowd. I thought it was very moving and poignant, actually.

I don't care much for Sasha. She's always given me the impression of having a nice big burr up her butt.

Angele
01-13-2004, 01:00 AM
That's great Ash :yeah: Did you see Kim around?

I'm doing a little better today :)

dagmar7
01-13-2004, 01:02 AM
i'm doing great! i went to the adidas yesterday...got VERY burnt...and got to see Lleyton's match...i sat courtside (tickets were a present) and his coach and everyone (including Hayden) were sitting right in front of me!!!!! i was so close to Lleyton at one stage that i could touch him..but i didnt :p ...and i met wayne arthurs and got an autograph and photo with him...he called me cute! :angel: how are you today??

Not as good as you obviously.:D That's great. Please feel free to share any more details.

Wayne calling you cute!!!

Angele
01-13-2004, 01:03 AM
It's Fields of Gold. I think Sting or Rod Stewart or someone sang it first. In any case, I disagree with your statement. I think it was a perfectly fine choice of music. She was hopeful of winning the gold (which personally I thought she should have won in '98) and doing so in front of a home country crowd. I thought it was very moving and poignant, actually.

I think it would have been moving and poignant had she won :o IMO though she chose it because she thought she was going to win and that's pretty arrogant to me :shrug:

Ashie_87
01-13-2004, 01:04 AM
That's great Ash :yeah: Did you see Kim around?

I'm doing a little better today :)

:wavey: Marly
ah thats good you're doing better-i was really worried about you! :hug: and no i didnt 'see' her around but i heard she was there training...plus i dont think i would have wanted to be there when she was...apparently she was extremely pissed off...and not in the mood for people :shrug:
i got heaps of Lleyton pics so i'll post them when they get developed :)
he had a little tantrum yesterday and threw his raquet-it's soooo much funnier live!!! :p and his 'c'mon!'s are better there as well-they sound heaps more firey!!! :yeah:

dagmar7
01-13-2004, 01:06 AM
I think it would have been moving and poignant had she won :o IMO though she chose it because she thought she was going to win and that's pretty arrogant to me :shrug:

Ah, you are very severe.;) I didn't think of it as arrogant like "I'm the greatest"--I thought it was more a tribute to the spirit of the olympics...striving for the best, dreams of glory etc. I thought her skate was beautiful, and she was crying at the end of it, but still smiling to the crowd. I really felt for her.

Ashie_87
01-13-2004, 01:07 AM
Not as good as you obviously.:D That's great. Please feel free to share any more details.

Wayne calling you cute!!!

hmm..details... :scratch: ...oh! Roger calls lleyton 'Rusty' still...uh..Hayden his a little mole on the back of his neck....the seats there were SO uncomfortable! :( ....wayne arthurs is REALLY tall....i saw JH-H practicing...and Todd reid...and anastasia myskina playing doybles with vera zvonerova (sp?) and i think i saw the scud...cant be sure.... :scratch:

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 01:10 AM

I think it would have joyful and uplifting (and not a little corny) had she won.

I'm sure she was confident in her ability to win--and why shouldn't she be?--but I doubt very much that an athlete of her caliber enters any even just assuming they're going to win. It's just not done. Thinking that way does nothing to help you psychologically. That's why Lleyton and Kim, and presumably other professional tennis players, are always yammering on about how they just want to take it "one match at a time" and stuff. 'Cause nothing is ever, ever a sure thing.

Anyway, I think I recall having this conversation with you before, and neither of us have changed our opinions nor are we likely to. And who's to say we're not disagreeing over nothing? For all we know, Michelle is just really fond of that song and took no notice of the title whatsoever ;)

Angele
01-13-2004, 01:11 AM
:wavey: Marly
ah thats good you're doing better-i was really worried about you! :hug: and no i didnt 'see' her around but i heard she was there training...plus i dont think i would have wanted to be there when she was...apparently she was extremely pissed off...and not in the mood for people :shrug:
i got heaps of Lleyton pics so i'll post them when they get developed :)
he had a little tantrum yesterday and threw his raquet-it's soooo much funnier live!!! :p and his 'c'mon!'s are better there as well-they sound heaps more firey!!! :yeah:
Don't worry about me Ash, I'll be fine :kiss:

Yeah from all accounts Kim was in not such a good mood :o Not that I can blame her of course, I'm sure she's fairly frustrated atm.

Sounds like you had a great time at Lleyton's match :yeah: I bet he's even better looking in person than in pictures :hearts:

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 01:12 AM
Ah, you are very severe.;) I didn't think of it as arrogant like "I'm the greatest"--I thought it was more a tribute to the spirit of the olympics...striving for the best, dreams of glory etc. I thought her skate was beautiful, and she was crying at the end of it, but still smiling to the crowd. I really felt for her.

Dagmar. Dagmar, Dagmar. I agree with you. Thank you for putting it in a coherant way :p

Angele
01-13-2004, 01:14 AM
I'm probably more severe than I should be because I simply don't like her :o

It's like imagine a tennis player you really hated ( for Marls I'd say Andy, for you I have no idea :confused: ). Now imagine that player is playing in their home grand slam in the final and the song that they pick to come out to is something like Fields of Gold or something else that could possibly be linked to winning. It's not exactly the same thing but I'm trying to compare it to something :p

Ashie_87
01-13-2004, 01:14 AM
Sounds like you had a great time at Lleyton's match :yeah: I bet he's even better looking in person than in pictures :hearts:

actually-yes he is better looking in person :drool: although it was quite difficult to drool over him properly when my 20 year old brother wwas sitting next to me rolling his eyes whenever i looked at him :( still he couldnt stop me ;)

Angele
01-13-2004, 01:15 AM
Anyway, I think I recall having this conversation with you before, and neither of us have changed our opinions nor are we likely to. And who's to say we're not disagreeing over nothing? For all we know, Michelle is just really fond of that song and took no notice of the title whatsoever ;)

Did we have this conversation before? I don't remember :o

Angele
01-13-2004, 01:16 AM
actually-yes he is better looking in person :drool: although it was quite difficult to drool over him properly when my 20 year old brother wwas sitting next to me rolling his eyes whenever i looked at him :( still he couldnt stop me ;)
You should of sent your brother off to drool over one of the female players :p

dagmar7
01-13-2004, 01:16 AM
hmm..details... :scratch: ...oh! Roger calls lleyton 'Rusty' still...uh..Hayden his a little mole on the back of his neck....the seats there were SO uncomfortable! :( ....wayne arthurs is REALLY tall....i saw JH-H practicing...and Todd reid...and anastasia myskina playing doybles with vera zvonerova (sp?) and i think i saw the scud...cant be sure.... :scratch:

Todd Reid--he won yesterday too.:bounce:

Ah, the 'Rusty' is still alive. I see he has 'Rusty 23' on his Yonex racquet...some sort of AFL reference apparently.

I am very happy to hear that he is feisty...yeah.:D :D

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 01:17 AM
I'm probably more severe than I should be because I simply don't like her :o

Naw :p

It's like imagine a tennis player you really hated ( for Marls I'd say Andy, for you I have no idea :confused: ). Now imagine that player is playing in their home grand slam in the final and the song that they pick to come out to is something like Fields of Gold or something else that could possibly be linked to winning. It's not exactly the same thing but I'm trying to compare it to something :p

You're giving my dislike of Pandy too much credit. Do I loathe him? To the core. But Ezel is much, much worse :p

*imagines Angele's scenario*

Nope, can't find anything wrong with it. I just hope the judges aren't in the stands cheering wildly for the hometown player, referring to him/her as "my boy/girl" and throwing his cap when things aren't going their way :p

Kate05
01-13-2004, 01:18 AM
We can all stop the conversation about Fields of Gold now and just put it down as the only other time Kate has cried at a figure skating performance. The 2002 Olympics was a very emotional time for me. I think I may have also cried when Jamie and David got their gold medals. :rolleyes: :lol:

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 01:19 AM
Did we have this conversation before? I don't remember :o

On AIM once. The night it actually happened, as a matter of fact.

Dagmar, how do you know Ll has "Rusty 23" on his racket? Those must be some eyes you got, girl :p

Ashie_87
01-13-2004, 01:19 AM
well i told him to bugger off and leave me to my drooling but he insisted on staying to look after me (i think he did that coz my mum told him if he lost me she would kill him) but i told him that anastasia myskina was playing doubles and he ALMOST left...*sigh* so close yet so far :p
and Dagmar-the rusty 23 thing is coz i think his 'number' for the crows is 23 and he got his raquet painted the crows colours :)

Angele
01-13-2004, 01:20 AM
I cried at the end of Jamie and David's program :o Those were happier tears than the tears that came after the marks were announced :o When they got their gold medal I don't think I cried :confused: I was definetly happy though :p

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 01:21 AM
We can all stop the conversation about Fields of Gold now and just put it down as the only other time Kate has cried at a figure skating performance. The 2002 Olympics was a very emotional time for me. I think I may have also cried when Jamie and David got their gold medals. :rolleyes: :lol:

Very few things make me spontaneously cry (Steel Magnolias, The Joy Luck Club) but Michelle Kwan's skating is one of them. I feel like such a dork admitting it, but she makes me cry a lot :p And I always get goosebumps too.

I didn't cry when the Canadians got the medals :p Though I did almost cry in frustration after being inundated with them and Their Story for the next several weeks :p

Angele
01-13-2004, 01:21 AM
On AIM once. The night it actually happened, as a matter of fact.

Dagmar, how do you know Ll has "Rusty 23" on his racket? Those must be some eyes you got, girl :p
You've got a pretty good memory :p My memory generally doesn't store anything that's more than a couple of months old, unless it's something big :p

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 01:23 AM
I think I just remember because that was one of the many, many times that you got pissed off at me.

Angele
01-13-2004, 01:24 AM
You're giving my dislike of Pandy too much credit. Do I loathe him? To the core. But Ezel is much, much worse :p

*imagines Angele's scenario*

Nope, can't find anything wrong with it.

Hmm, that surprises me :p I'd be a little :( if even Kim or Lleyton pulled something like that :o

I just hope the judges aren't in the stands cheering wildly for the hometown player, referring to him/her as "my boy/girl" and throwing his cap when things aren't going their way :p

You're clearly refering to something but unforetunately something that I haven't heard about so fill me in :p

Angele
01-13-2004, 01:25 AM
I think I just remember because that was one of the many, many times that you got pissed off at me.
Maybe? :o You'll have to forgive me for having blocked out most of those times ;)

star
01-13-2004, 01:25 AM
Okay, now that makes sense.

My mouth fell open when I read that. You like Kwan's layback position?

I felt things maybe 6 years ago when I saw Kwan skate, but she hasn't really added anything to her skating in the last 4 years except to finally give up trying to achieve the correct leg position on the layback and settling for the much easier low position. She's a very good skater though and extremely consistent. Cohen's skating excites me.

Cohen is the shit though. Four things. Posture, extension, speed, and spins. Look at her back. It is exquisite throughout her skate. Kwan has a very good back too, and it is amazing that Cohen can surpass her. Cohen skates faster. Speed ups the difficulty of every element and is what seperates the great skaters from the good skaters. Michelle's speed really dropped off for awhile, but she was speedier this time round, I thought. Also extension is extremely important in skating. If you compare Cohen's extension to Kwan's, you can see that on nearly every position Cohen is more extended than is Kwan. Finally Cohen performs a perfect scratch spin and stops it on a dime. That is extremely difficult. She spins very fast and centered. Her layback is very arched and the leg position is exquisite.

Finally watch how Cohen lands her jumps. She glides one foot, arms out to the side, back firm and flat. She holds that positon more solidly than any skater I have seen for a long time. Michelle does that on some jumps too, but not to the same extent.

But bottom line, Michelle lands her jumps. That's great and she should win for it because that is what seperates the two of them. But, if both skated perfectly, I would give the nod to Cohen just because of the difficulty and the superior positions on the ice.

I like Michelle's costumes more though. :)

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 01:29 AM
You're clearly refering to something but unforetunately something that I haven't heard about so fill me in :p

Jim McIngvale at the MC in Houston last year. He's the owner-type dude of the Westside Tennis Club. He was VERY partial to DH and Pandy. He wore shirts patterned with the American flag (that didn't bother me) and he referred to them as "his boys" and stuff. He'd stand up in the stands and cheer (overly) enthusastically for them. When one of them was broken by Nalbandian at one point, he jerked his cap off and flung it down in anger. When PN won, he gave this long-winded speech but hardly mentioned him (PN).

All of that I got from matching snippets of two matches :p

People were NOT happy. There were several threads on it GM. He pissed off the other players, and lots of fans of other players. He basically behaved in a very unprofessional, backwater good-ole-boy manner. It was really kind of embarrassing to me as an American Texan tennis fan.

star
01-13-2004, 01:30 AM

I don't hate her, but I'm not crazy about her either. I liked her better than Tara Lapinski though. :)

I'm getting tired of her now, but I have this feeling she will NEVER retire. She's going to stay in amature skating longer that Sonja Henie.

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 01:30 AM
Maybe? :o You'll have to forgive me for having blocked out most of those times ;)

There's no maybe here, dude, I'm the one who remembers :p

Angele
01-13-2004, 01:31 AM
:wavey: Christina. Well spoken :yeah:

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 01:33 AM
My mouth fell open when I read that. You like Kwan's layback position?

I felt things maybe 6 years ago when I saw Kwan skate, but she hasn't really added anything to her skating in the last 4 years except to finally give up trying to achieve the correct leg position on the layback and settling for the much easier low position. She's a very good skater though and extremely consistent. Cohen's skating excites me.

Cohen is the shit though. Four things. Posture, extension, speed, and spins. Look at her back. It is exquisite throughout her skate. Kwan has a very good back too, and it is amazing that Cohen can surpass her. Cohen skates faster. Speed ups the difficulty of every element and is what seperates the great skaters from the good skaters. Michelle's speed really dropped off for awhile, but she was speedier this time round, I thought. Also extension is extremely important in skating. If you compare Cohen's extension to Kwan's, you can see that on nearly every position Cohen is more extended than is Kwan. Finally Cohen performs a perfect scratch spin and stops it on a dime. That is extremely difficult. She spins very fast and centered. Her layback is very arched and the leg position is exquisite.

Finally watch how Cohen lands her jumps. She glides one foot, arms out to the side, back firm and flat. She holds that positon more solidly than any skater I have seen for a long time. Michelle does that on some jumps too, but not to the same extent.

But bottom line, Michelle lands her jumps. That's great and she should win for it because that is what seperates the two of them. But, if both skated perfectly, I would give the nod to Cohen just because of the difficulty and the superior positions on the ice.

I like Michelle's costumes more though. :)

Yeah, not professional skater or coach, so I'm not even going to try to argue with you. All I know is I prefer Michelle's skating better to anyone else's out there.

dagmar7
01-13-2004, 01:34 AM
well i told him to bugger off and leave me to my drooling but he insisted on staying to look after me (i think he did that coz my mum told him if he lost me she would kill him) but i told him that anastasia myskina was playing doubles and he ALMOST left...*sigh* so close yet so far :p
and Dagmar-the rusty 23 thing is coz i think his 'number' for the crows is 23 and he got his raquet painted the crows colours :)

Thanks for the info., Ashleigh.:)

Myskina, hmmm? Was it that naked pic of her in GQ or just her general Myskina-ness?

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 01:35 AM
Myskina's Myskina-ness is very nice when she's not sporting a horrid short 'do :p

dagmar7
01-13-2004, 01:38 AM
Coach Christina :)

Excellent post. I think nobody's arguing that Michelle has a superior layback spin. Nobody on the planet has the quality of extension and the exquisite positions on the ice that Sasha does...at least not that I'm aware of, but she just has those mental lapses.

I can't even tell why she falls sometimes, she just seems to lose concentration....on those triple toe loops of all things??!!

Ashie_87
01-13-2004, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the info., Ashleigh.:)

Myskina, hmmm? Was it that naked pic of her in GQ or just her general Myskina-ness?

hard to tell :scratch: could be both :shrug: ;)
yes and her hair does leave a bit to be desired..still each to their own...

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 01:39 AM
Dude. I could totally outskate Sasha Cohen.

Angele
01-13-2004, 01:40 AM
Jim McIngvale at the MC in Houston last year. He's the owner-type dude of the Westside Tennis Club. He was VERY partial to DH and Pandy. He wore shirts patterned with the American flag (that didn't bother me) and he referred to them as "his boys" and stuff. He'd stand up in the stands and cheer (overly) enthusastically for them. When one of them was broken by Nalbandian at one point, he jerked his cap off and flung it down in anger. When PN won, he gave this long-winded speech but hardly mentioned him (PN).

All of that I got from matching snippets of two matches :p

People were NOT happy. There were several threads on it GM. He pissed off the other players, and lots of fans of other players. He basically behaved in a very unprofessional, backwater good-ole-boy manner. It was really kind of embarrassing to me as an American Texan tennis fan.
Oh I see... I didn't pay much attention to the TMC this year :o The worst of what you explained is probably the speech, if it's like what I'm imagining anyway. He should of at least acted natural when delivering a public speech. The cap flinging is a little immature more than anything else :o For the rest, well, I dunno, no big problem for me. Honestly my first reaction was pfff, he shouldn't of been cheering for anybody but then there's a thread at wtaworld about the antwerp tournament director saying he hopes Venus doesn't win this year, that instead Kim or Justine win and his quotes had no affect on me :confused:

Kate05
01-13-2004, 01:40 AM
I think Michelle won't go pro until she gets that Olympic gold medal. She wants that damn thing. I have blind fiery hate for Tara Lipinski, that little twit isn't nearly as good a skater as Michelle. Girl got lucky and that yellow/blue Anastasia outfit is still burned in my brain. I remember hating the way she whipped her leg around in her landings and was so close to the ground.

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 01:43 AM
When you have time, go look up some of the threads on it in GM. He really behaved like an ass. Nobody (except perhaps DH and Pandy) was very happy with him. It was ridiculous.

Angele
I don't understand why somebody can't make medicine taste good :p My swelling medication is absolutely disgusting :unsure: Nothing else is quite as bad but everything has got kind of a bad taste to it :o And at that half my medication is children's medicine because i can only have liquids and those still aren't good :o

Murkofan
Ew, Tara Lipinininski. Just seeing her name in print burns my eyes.

star
01-13-2004, 01:44 AM
Yeah. I think she was the anti-christ.

The head alone was enough .......

But, she isn't even skating at all anymore, is she?

Angele
01-13-2004, 01:44 AM
When you have time, go look up some of the threads on it in GM. He really behaved like an ass. Nobody (except perhaps DH and Pandy) was very happy with him. It was ridiculous.
Thanks but no thanks :p I have no doubt that he was an ass but I can't say that I care all that much :o

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 01:45 AM
Dimetapp is good. Triaminic is good. That pink stuff (not Pepto Bismol) is good. Alas, I took too much and became immune to it.

dagmar7
01-13-2004, 01:46 AM
Oh I see... I didn't pay much attention to the TMC this year :o The worst of what you explained is probably the speech, if it's like what I'm imagining anyway. He should of at least acted natural when delivering a public speech. The cap flinging is a little immature more than anything else :o For the rest, well, I dunno, no big problem for me. Honestly my first reaction was pfff, he shouldn't of been cheering for anybody but then there's a thread at wtaworld about the antwerp tournament director saying he hopes Venus doesn't win this year, that instead Kim or Justine win and his quotes had no affect on me :confused:

I think both 'gentleman' are behaving incorrectly...she says *prissily*. I think a tournament director is sort of like a host and s/he should make all the players feel welcome. Of course, you can cheer within or be a little extra excited about the home town favourites, but I think such an obvious display of partisanship is extremely poor sportsmanship/bad manners etc.:o

Angele
01-13-2004, 01:47 AM
Dimetapp is good. Triaminic is good. That pink stuff (not Pepto Bismol) is good. Alas, I took too much and became immune to it.
I think what I've got for my nose is Triaminic :confused: Kind of orange? I don't like it much though :o

Murkofan
I think it's highly inappropriate for any tournament director to behave the way McIngvale did, and in public to boot. Of course they all want the players from their country to win so they have good ticket sales, but come on. He was just classless.

Lipinininski is now an actress :rolleyes:

Kate05
Dude. I could totally outskate Sasha Cohen.

:lol: I'd pay to see that. Skid shaved ice on her smug little face while your at it. Sasha should take a page from Michelle's book, it's called class. Great I hate the hometown girl, I'll have stones thrown at me. :rolleyes:

My sister told me that Michelle's outfit last night was by Vera Wang. Man you know your the shit when you get a world famous designer to make you a figure skating costume.

Ashie_87
well i must be off ladies :wavey: have a good day/night :kiss:

star
I don't understand why somebody can't make medicine taste good :p My swelling medication is absolutely disgusting :unsure: Nothing else is quite as bad but everything has got kind of a bad taste to it :o And at that half my medication is children's medicine because i can only have liquids and those still aren't good :o

It's cause they are chemicals. You can't hide it in liquid..... yuck. :spit:

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 01:50 AM
:lol: I'd pay to see that. Skid shaved ice on her smug little face while your at it. Sasha should take a page from Michelle's book, it's called class. Great I hate the hometown girl, I'll have stones thrown at me. :rolleyes:

My sister told me that Michelle's outfit last night was by Vera Wang. Man you know your the shit when you get a world famous designer to make you a figure skating costume.

You'll be there to help me stand up on the ice, right? :p You know, the more I think about her, the more Sasha Cohen annoys me :p

All of Michelle's costumes (blue, pinkish and white) were Vera Wangs. Very impressive.

dagmar7
:wavey: bye, Ash...thanks for the courtside report...:kiss:

Angele
:wavey: Cya later Ash... hope we didn't drive you off with our skating talk :unsure:

Kate05
01-13-2004, 01:54 AM
:wavey: Bye Ash thanks for the report!

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 01:55 AM
I'm heading off too. Reruns of Who's Line are calling me name :D

Angele
01-13-2004, 01:56 AM
Cya later Marly

dagmar7
01-13-2004, 01:57 AM
:wavey: bye all...

I should get ready for sleep. Another early morning tomorrow.:o

:wavey: 'night

Kate05
01-13-2004, 01:59 AM
Eh since everyone else is leaving I'm going to go eat dinner and watch the rest of Moulin Rouge. :wavey:

Angele
01-13-2004, 02:00 AM
:wavey: Everybody... I'm gonna head off to bed myself!

Chesty Larue
01-13-2004, 02:42 AM
ooh missed the figure skating talk eh..well let me add my 2 cents ;)

Warning: Most of you will not like my 2 cents :o :p

First off Ange you're not alone..I have no love for Michelle Kwan..don't like her..never did. I do believe there was a small amount of arrogance in chosing Fields of Gold as her parade of Champions song. However in the same respect she sort of set herself up for a minor embarrassment if she don't win the Gold..everyone knew why she picked the song, the commentators mentioned it freely..skating to that song as a Bronze medalist had to be at least slightly uncomfortable..I know I would feel bad if I was in that situation..so I'll let that one go ;)

Now I'm sure I've already incurred the fiery wrath of most of you :p ..but I have to say I don't think she'll win that Olympic Gold :o Clearly she's experienced some issues with the big Olympic moment..problem is in addition to that she now has to face that each Olympics from here on out could very well be her last chance. That's a whole other kind of pressure on her..expectation is a bitch as I'm sure Kim can atest :p

oh man I had completely forgotten about Tara Lipinski lol :p I wasn't really a fan..but I gotta say, I can't help but be impressed that she came as a kid and basically stole the show..she took what she wanted and left :p National Title, World Title, Olympic Gold and see ya..

The one thing I will always remember is that she was money on her jumps ;) I can't remember seeing her fall even once :o

Chesty Larue
01-13-2004, 02:48 AM
oh Jen's officially gone from AO :( Another one bites the dust..

Lisbeth
01-13-2004, 04:57 AM
Ugh. Now ABC Australia is reporting that Kim's OUT of Adidas. Probably sensible if she's not 100%, but I hope she's now made up her made for good! No firm comment on whether she'll play Aussie Open so fingers and toes crossed, everyone.

Chesty Larue
01-13-2004, 05:10 AM
I think she's pretty much out of the Aus Open..

Lisbeth
01-13-2004, 05:23 AM
Well let's put it this way, I have some hope but I'm glad I didn't pick this year to go to Melbourne.

Hopefully Kim or someone reliable will say/post something. If it pulled up really sore then she shouldn't play but if it was just not quite 100%, it's been less than a week so there's still hope.

Chesty Larue
01-13-2004, 05:31 AM
As someone in CCL put it..if she can't handle a 30 minute work out at this point there is no way she'll be able to do 2 weeks of tennis.

This is the article I looked at..It makes it all pretty clear :(

Clijsters out of Sydney, doubtful for Australian Open
2004-01-13 05:02:33 GMT (Reuters)

SYDNEY, Jan 13 (Reuters) - World number two Kim Clijsters is a fitness doubt for next week's Australian Open after pulling out of the Sydney International with an ankle injury on Tuesday.

The Belgian told a news conference that she was forced to withdraw from the Sydney tournament after the ankle, which she injured in last week's Hopman Cup, flared up during a practice session.

Clijsters said she would wait a few days before making a final decision on whether she would compete at the Australian Open in Melbourne but said her chances were now slim.

"It's definitely in doubt," she said. "But I have to think about my future. I don't want to make things worse."

Danni
01-13-2004, 05:57 AM
:sad: Kim :hug:
It's kinda a relief she's not playing Sydney- and probably won't play AO, at leats she won't injure it more. I hope she doesn't have to have surgery.
Injuries suck :(

tournesol
01-13-2004, 08:11 AM

tachini?

tournesol
01-13-2004, 08:33 AM
Hey, dani. Yes, more please.:) :) Nice to see a straight sets win. Lopez or Kucera up next. Hmmm....

:( for those Belgians. All gone in the first round. What's up with that cute little--albeit apparently bitchy :)--Olie?

sent home by gasquet in 1st round qualies :eek:

kim4eva
01-13-2004, 09:20 AM
g'day Dani! :wavey: nice to see ya!

tournesol
01-13-2004, 09:25 AM
g'day Dani! :wavey: nice to see ya!

:wavey: keira

it took my ages to read back :rolleyes: i've been constantly interrupted

how's life?

kim4eva
01-13-2004, 09:53 AM
:wavey: keira

it took my ages to read back :rolleyes: i've been constantly interrupted

how's life?

I'm :). Played heaps of sports yesterday. Started with an hour of badminton, ten pin bowling and squash at this club with 2 friends... it was soo fun :p

btw, i cant wait till i get to aus but im not sure if i get internet connection there! :rolleyes:

tournesol
01-13-2004, 10:00 AM
I'm :). Played heaps of sports yesterday. Started with an hour of badminton, ten pin bowling and squash at this club with 2 friends... it was soo fun :p

btw, i cant wait till i get to aus but im not sure if i get internet connection there! :rolleyes:

i envy your holidays, i find it really difficult to get back to work

kim4eva
01-13-2004, 10:03 AM
i envy your holidays, i find it really difficult to get back to work

:o I'd prolly die even thinking about getting back to skool...

kim4eva
01-13-2004, 10:09 AM
I've got to go and keep packing mah stuff...:o
I'll pm you later ;) cya and enjoy your day! :wavey:

tournesol
01-13-2004, 10:11 AM
:o I'd prolly die even thinking about getting back to skool...

no need to anticipate that much, take it 1 day at a time

i'm going to have lunch (i know is terribly early but i'm terribly hungry)

a+

tournesol
01-13-2004, 11:38 AM
:wavey: anyone

Angele
01-13-2004, 11:48 AM
:wavey: Anybody?

Angele
01-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Kim :sad: I'm glad she decided to pull out of Sydney because she's obviously still hurting. It would be sad to see her pull out of AO but if that's what she needs to do, I hope she doesn't hesitate and pulls out. No use trying to push herself only to risk further injury.

Angele
01-13-2004, 11:51 AM
ooh missed the figure skating talk eh..well let me add my 2 cents ;)

Warning: Most of you will not like my 2 cents :o :p

First off Ange you're not alone..I have no love for Michelle Kwan..don't like her..never did. I do believe there was a small amount of arrogance in chosing Fields of Gold as her parade of Champions song. However in the same respect she sort of set herself up for a minor embarrassment if she don't win the Gold..everyone knew why she picked the song, the commentators mentioned it freely..skating to that song as a Bronze medalist had to be at least slightly uncomfortable..I know I would feel bad if I was in that situation..so I'll let that one go ;)

Now I'm sure I've already incurred the fiery wrath of most of you :p ..but I have to say I don't think she'll win that Olympic Gold :o Clearly she's experienced some issues with the big Olympic moment..problem is in addition to that she now has to face that each Olympics from here on out could very well be her last chance. That's a whole other kind of pressure on her..expectation is a bitch as I'm sure Kim can atest :p

oh man I had completely forgotten about Tara Lipinski lol :p I wasn't really a fan..but I gotta say, I can't help but be impressed that she came as a kid and basically stole the show..she took what she wanted and left :p National Title, World Title, Olympic Gold and see ya..

The one thing I will always remember is that she was money on her jumps ;) I can't remember seeing her fall even once :o

:bigclap: :bigclap:

tournesol
01-13-2004, 11:56 AM
:wavey: :angel: e

thanks for posting LL interview :worship:

re kim: AO is still a week away, i hope she'll play bec if she can't i'll be rather pessimistic for her season

i hope you're getting better

edit: i'm afraid my ignorance re figure skating is 'monumentale'

Angele
01-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Hey Dani :wavey:

No problem! Lleyton's interviews are always a great read :)

I hope that Kim is well enough to play but if she's not fit to play, I hope she doesn't. Hopefully this injury will heal soon though.

I'm feeling better day by day :yeah:

Angele
01-13-2004, 12:00 PM
re the figure skating you're probably lucky, you won't risk getting into any heated arguements :o I can still remember one big fight with a certain poster about the gold medal scandal at salt lake :tape:

tournesol
01-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Hey Dani :wavey:

No problem! Lleyton's interviews are always a great read :)

I'm feeling better day by day :yeah:

that's great :)

it looks like that since 2002 it has been kim or LL in top form with great perf, hardly both of them together

they should work on their synchronisation :p

Angele
01-13-2004, 12:07 PM
that's great :)

it looks like that since 2002 it has been kim or LL in top form with great perf, hardly both of them together

they should work on their synchronisation :p
agreed lol

It's true though... in the last two years one has been great while the other was stuck mostly being a cheerleader. I had had hopes that this season would be quite different but now... :(

tournesol
01-13-2004, 12:08 PM
re the figure skating you're probably lucky, you won't risk getting into any heated arguements :o I can still remember one big fight with a certain poster about the gold medal scandal at salt lake :tape:

every sport has its own problems/scandals; i'm quite philosophical about it; they're just a field of human activity with all what it implies

it just that at the risk of being expelled from here i don't like that sport

Angele
01-13-2004, 12:10 PM
every sport has its own problems/scandals; i'm quite philosophical about it; they're just a field of human activity with all what it implies

:lol: :p

Well I can't speak for the others but it doesn't matter to me in the slightest that you don't like figure skating :p We can't all have the same opinions/tastes ;)

tournesol
01-13-2004, 12:11 PM
agreed lol

It's true though... in the last two years one has been great while the other was stuck mostly being a cheerleader. I had had hopes that this season would be quite different but now... :(

on the other hand it might be a strategy to keep the lleykis with enough discussion topics

Angele
01-13-2004, 12:16 PM
on the other hand it might be a strategy to keep the lleykis with enough discussion topics
That's a possibility ;) You know what else would keep us talking though? A wedding :p

tournesol
01-13-2004, 12:21 PM
That's a possibility ;) You know what else would keep us talking though? A wedding :p

yes but what after that?

well deserved retirement and family life?

i'm not sure i'll still have all my head to appreciate the perf of the second lleyki generation :p

beside i've met a number of people involved in tennis which are doing their best to deter their kids from playing 'seriously'; while this is much less common in other sports

Angele
01-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Well no family life for a now :p A wedding would keep me quite amused for a while though :angel:

Any theory on why parents might not like their kids to play tennis seriously?

tournesol
01-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Well no family life for a now :p A wedding would keep me quite amused for a while though :angel:

Any theory on why parents might not like their kids to play tennis seriously?

enormous pressure and stress since a very early age imo

Angele
01-13-2004, 12:32 PM
pressure and stress since a very early age imo
That would make sense... here tennis isn't really a popular sport so we don't hear about that part of it too much. Here the most pushed sports are probably team sports which probably don't have as much pressure as something like tennis.

tournesol
01-13-2004, 12:39 PM
That would make sense... here tennis isn't really a popular sport so we don't hear about that part of it too much. Here the most pushed sports are probably team sports which probably don't have as much pressure as something like tennis.

kids learn a lot from team sports as well as individual sports, buth for the latter the parents much be much more involved imo; beside a defeat is always a personnal defeat and kids and parents must be very resilient

and finally there's a serious risk that a defeat is interpreted as 'you don't love me'

Angele
01-13-2004, 12:43 PM
I also think in a team situation you have more of a chance to 'proove' yourself. One bad game isn't the end of a tournament or season if you play hockey, soccer, etc... But if you play tennis and lose in the first round it can be bad for you. Also in team competition to get to a higher level you have to be placed there by somebody so I think in a sense there might be a little less pressure. In tennis and other individual sports no matter how good you are in practice and no matter how much potential you have, if you don't win those big matches, you aren't going to advance in the sport.

tournesol
01-13-2004, 12:52 PM
I also think in a team situation you have more of a chance to 'proove' yourself. One bad game isn't the end of a tournament or season if you play hockey, soccer, etc... But if you play tennis and lose in the first round it can be bad for you. Also in team competition to get to a higher level you have to be placed there by somebody so I think in a sense there might be a little less pressure. In tennis and other individual sports no matter how good you are in practice and no matter how much potential you have, if you don't win those big matches, you aren't going to advance in the sport.

yes it's completely right, to win you must get everything right at the same time: fitness, mental, motivation, concentration while in a team a relative weakness can be covered by other players

see how many times a soccer team reduced to 10 defeats the 11 in front

Angele
01-13-2004, 12:54 PM
I've gotta go... thanks for the chat Dani :kiss:

Cya later :wavey:

tournesol
01-13-2004, 12:57 PM
I've gotta go... thanks for the chat Dani :kiss:

Cya later :wavey:

:wavey: have a nice day

fcap
01-13-2004, 01:35 PM
:wavey: Are any lovely people here and willing to chat? :p Im in such a different mode today! :)

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 04:24 PM

Begone, instantly.

Murkofan
01-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Rejoice, Canadians, for we are reaching out to you! :p

U.S. Reaches Out to Canada at Americas Summit
Ally Will Be Allowed to Bid on Contracts in Iraq
By DEB RIECHMANN, Reuters

MONTERREY, Mexico (Jan. 13) - President Bush, seeking to mend relations with America's northern neighbor, said Tuesday that Canada will be eligible for a second round of U.S.-financed reconstruction contracts in Iraq.

In a breakfast meeting with new Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin, Bush said he had told Martin of the shift in policy. Martin ''understands the stakes'' in rebuilding a free and peaceful Iraq, Bush said. He offered no details of what the contracts would be worth.

It was Bush's second fence-mending session in two days. On Monday, Bush and Mexican President Vicente Fox put aside two years of differences and said they see eye-to-eye about a new U.S. proposal to grant legal status to millions of undocumented workers in the United States, many of them Mexicans.

The United States had angered many allies last month by banning firms in countries that had opposed the Iraq war from bidding on Iraqi reconstruction projects. French, German and Russian leaders had protested to Bush, and Canada threatened to stop sending aid to Baghdad.

Martin, eager to patch up the cross-border relationship, said he was pleased by the new U.S. stance toward Canada, and the lucrative contracts that could come Canada's way.

''It does show that working together, we can arrive at a reasonable solution,'' Martin told reporters after the breakfast.

Bush did not say whether other countries would be affected by the policy shift. A French Embassy spokeswoman said French Defense minister Michelle Alliot-Marie will meet with Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice on Thursday in Washington.

Bush and Martin also pledged cooperation on another issue that has irritated U.S.-Canada relations, the discovery of mad cow disease in America in a cow that apparently came from Canada.

''This is an issue that's going to require close coordination between our two countries,'' Bush said. ''The best way to make sure we're able to satisfy consumers ... is for there to be (coordination) on regulation, on information and on the science.''

Bush said he was confident in the safety of the beef supply, and was still himself eating beef.

Bush took a firm stance on border security, an issue that has irritated many American neighbors, including Mexico and Canada.

''We will do everything we can do to protect our country from attack,'' Bush said. But he pledged to ''work closely with the Martin government on passport issues.''

''Canada and America have got special status ... by virtue of the fact of a significant interchange on an hourly basis between our two countries,'' Bush said. ''It's special because we share a long border.''

Bush and Martin met on the sidelines of the Summit of the Americas, where the president pledged to fight corruption, nurture democracies and work to bring all people in the Western Hemisphere into an ''expanding circle of development.''

But disputes over a free trade agreement that would span the entire region and arguments over proposed penalties for corrupt nations are hanging over the meeting like the haze over this industrial city.

Before returning to Washington on Tuesday evening, Bush also will meet with Argentina's President Nestor Kirchner, who has said that his nation is no longer interested in ''automatic alignment'' with U.S. policy. Kirchner, who has been angered by recent U.S. criticism over Argentina's warming relations with Cuba, boldly stated that he would ''win by a knockout'' at his meeting with Bush.

Bush also was meeting with Bolivian President Carlos Mesa.

On his summit slate, Bush is calling for a firm 2005 deadline to complete negotiations on a free trade agreement spanning the Western Hemisphere - his top policy goal for Latin America. Brazil and Venezuela are resisting.

Bush is continuing his hardline stance against Cuba, the only nation in the hemisphere not invited to the summit. ''Together we will succeed, because the spirit of liberty still thrives, even in the darkest corners of Fidel Castro's prisons,'' Bush said Monday.

01-13-04 1132EST