The "So You're Saying It's A Party In Your Pants." Thread 01 [Archive] - Page 15 - MensTennisForums.com

The "So You're Saying It's A Party In Your Pants." Thread 01

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20

Chesty Larue
01-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Can't say I'm surprised it took two guys to smash it out of her head!:p:o

*She'll have a full box of support, with all the new friends she's made when they were in Melbourne for DC, Kim and Caroline went out A LOT!:p
*Venus Williams was one of the first ones to congratulate Kim and Lleyton with their engagement.
*Kim's doctor from Bree/Genk left for Melbourne last Thursday, cos kim feels more comfortable with him, cos he knows every part of her body like no one else does (excuse me, lleyt!:o:p)
*Malisse will be very motivated to win vs Kucera, cos he then will play Lleyton, they are pretty good mates, cos of the Kim connection. He has a special uotfit (puma) for him designed: red shirt, black shorts and red shoes! Name: Diablo

Aww that's sweet of Venus :angel: :D

Diablo...Nice,Nice :D ;)

ok so her doc is with her now then..wonder what he thought :confused:

Murkofan
01-19-2004, 09:38 PM
That it was a good idea Ll and Marc convinced her to drop Sydney :p

Chesty Larue
01-19-2004, 09:46 PM
That it was a good idea Ll and Marc convinced her to drop Sydney :p

Marly ESPN's coverage is replaying Roddick's match :rolleyes: There is a link in GM at wtaworld to email them and voice your displeasure! Go do that :p

Angele
01-19-2004, 10:05 PM
:wavey: Anybody here?

Ashie_87
01-19-2004, 10:06 PM
i am:)

Jess
01-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Hiya :wavey: How are you?

Ashie_87
01-19-2004, 10:08 PM
hi Jessica (ok im assuming it's you) im doing alright...still a bit weird after yesterday's ...uh...antics... :angel: how are you?

Angele
01-19-2004, 10:09 PM
Hey Jess and Ash :wavey:

Jess
01-19-2004, 10:09 PM
what was yesterdays antics then... am I missing something...

Ashie_87
01-19-2004, 10:10 PM
lol sorry i was at my friend's party-thing...methinks i had waaaay to much sugar. you know how when you're on a sugar high and then come crashing down? yeah i have that right now...omg i played topspin on Xbox!! its sooooo funny!!! :lol:

Jess
01-19-2004, 10:14 PM
:lol: I know that feeling :rolleyes:

BTW has anyone posted the Lleyki article that was in The Times (UK) today - I've got it if it's not around already.

Ashie_87
01-19-2004, 10:15 PM
i havent seen the article around anywhere :scratch: doesnt mean its not there but :p

Angele
01-19-2004, 10:16 PM
:lol: I know that feeling :rolleyes:

BTW has anyone posted the Lleyki article that was in The Times (UK) today - I've got it if it's not around already.
Ooh, post it :D If somebody posted it I didn't manage to find it lol

Ashie_87
01-19-2004, 10:17 PM
:bigwave: :angel:e!!!! how are you??

Angele
01-19-2004, 10:18 PM
I'm good...bored but good lol How are you?

Jess
01-19-2004, 10:18 PM
OK, will start typing ;) you'll probably like it angele.

Jess
01-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Have to wait a minute because my Dad has just started reading the paper :rolleyes: typical! Will start in a mo.

Angele
01-19-2004, 10:22 PM
OK, will start typing ;) you'll probably like it angele.
That sounds like a good sign :D Thanks Jess :kiss:

Ashie_87
01-19-2004, 10:22 PM
well bored is better than feeling crappy ;) im ok-still kinda tired after my friend's party yesterday ( :woohoo: i got my friends hooked on tennis!!!) lol i drank soooo much fanta and ate soooo much junk food...oh btw-don't try to play twister and eat jelly lollies at the same time...i nearly choked from laughing!! :haha:

Lisbeth
01-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Good morning ladies!

I don't know how I am going to contain my excitement for the next few hours until the real fun starts!

Angele
01-19-2004, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the advice Ash lol

Ashie_87
01-19-2004, 10:25 PM
:wavey: Jane!

Jess
01-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Really annoyed with their miserable attempts at match scheduling :o putting Lleyton on last and Kim as the night match means I probably won't get to find out the results till I get home from school - which means a whole day of worrying!

I remember last year I had to go in when he played that awful 1st round 5 setter. I could not concentrate on anything! Hopefully he gets it over with quickly tomorrow and the result is in before I have to go out!

Murkofan
Marly ESPN's coverage is replaying Roddick's match :rolleyes: There is a link in GM at wtaworld to email them and voice your displeasure! Go do that :p

I saw that :rolleyes: And after they'd been advertising Safin/Vahaly :rolleyes:

I know the Australian Open is a bit of an odd duck for American television because of the time difference, but there's no reason to show one match, in it's entirety, twice in :rolleyes: And in less than 24 hours, too :rolleyes:

Angele
Hey Jane :wavey:

I'm a mix of excitement and nervousness atm... I'm planning on going to bed soon though and hopefully sleeping until Kim's match!

Lisbeth
I agree that's nice about Venus congratulating them. I'm not surprised. I know they're a quirky family but Venus in particular always seemed quite sensitive and nice to me.

Angele
01-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Really annoyed with their miserable attempts at match scheduling :o putting Lleyton on last and Kim as the night match means I probably won't get to find out the results till I get home from school - which means a whole day of worrying!

I remember last year I had to go in when he played that awful 1st round 5 setter. I could not concentrate on anything! Hopefully he gets it over with quickly tomorrow and the result is in before I have to go out!
That sucks Jess :( The schedule isn't great though. For me the matches are in the middle of the night... probably about midnight for Lleyton and 4 a.m for Kim so following both would be really hard :( I'm going to skip Lleyton's match for tonight but hopefully I'll wake up to a good result!

Lisbeth
01-19-2004, 10:30 PM
We Aussies can really relate to your programming woes Jess, seeing how horrible the timing of all the other tournaments are for us! I guess they can't please everyone, but it would make sense to guess that people might want to follow Lleyton and Kim without getting less than 3 hours sleep, LOL.

I'm worried if Kim plays her usual wham-bam match I won't see her at all because she starts at 7:30 but there's no coverage until 8:30 - grrrr.

Ashie_87
01-19-2004, 10:30 PM
it's annoying about the scheduling, but in another way it's good-coz having Kim play the night session will mean it won't be as hot/humid i.e-she won't feel as lethargic...i think :scratch: i read that somewhere..correct me if i'm wrong

Angele
01-19-2004, 10:31 PM
Can't say I'm surprised it took two guys to smash it out of her head!:p:o

:lol:

*She'll have a full box of support, with all the new friends she's made when they were in Melbourne for DC, Kim and Caroline went out A LOT!:p

Kim and Caroline touring the town :cool: :p I just hope Lleyton is there to support her :angel:

*Venus Williams was one of the first ones to congratulate Kim and Lleyton with their engagement.

That's nice of Venus :)

*Kim's doctor from Bree/Genk left for Melbourne last Thursday, cos kim feels more comfortable with him, cos he knows every part of her body like no one else does (excuse me, lleyt!:o:p)

lmao :lol: I certainly hope Lleyton didn't read that quote from Kim :p

Thanks for the info Elke :yeah:

Angele
01-19-2004, 10:33 PM
None of the slams are great for me scheduling wise :( AO is in the middle of the night and the rest of the slams are on during the day when I'm at school :ras: I suppose the best of the four are the USO because I can at least watch the night matches live and also AO because even if it means losing sleep I can still watch and/or follow online where as the others I've got no choice but to sit in class restlessly until I can get to a computer to check scores :o

Jess
01-19-2004, 10:33 PM
lol - I know it is worse in oz and nz because there most events, like all the european ones are in the middle of the night. I think I'll have to get up early and watch them as they go further through. The 3rd rnd matches will be on Saturday morning so that'll be okay!

Angele
01-19-2004, 10:43 PM
:yawn: I feel like it's 11 at night :o

Jess
01-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Have you seen the interview with Kim @
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/interactive/tv/2004-01-18/200401181074399286371.html

Ashie_87
01-19-2004, 10:47 PM
ohhh btw Ange-Guy Sebastian sang at the Scout Jamboree that my friend went to (they go camping and all that) and he sang 'All I need is you' apparently it's better in person ;)

Angele
01-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Yeah I saw that... Kim is so cute :angel:

Angele
01-19-2004, 10:48 PM
ohhh btw Ange-Guy Sebastian sang at the Scout Jamboree that my friend went to (they go camping and all that) and he sang 'All I need is you' apparently it's better in person ;)
*faints*

I love Guy, he's so cute :hearts:

Jess
01-19-2004, 10:48 PM
She's sounding more australian than Belgium these days :lol:

Angele
01-19-2004, 10:51 PM
She's sounding more australian than Belgium these days :lol:
I know... I think that's so sweet :angel:

Ashie_87
01-19-2004, 10:51 PM
*faints*

I love Guy, he's so cute :hearts:

Guy rocks-GO THE FRO! :D she got it on video...crappy recording..but hey...

Jess
01-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Okay - I've got the newspaper now so can start writing up this article

Lisbeth
01-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Just been talking to someone who watched Lleyton live on Friday - she says 1. He's in hot form, and 2. He's just hot.

LOL, we knew that already, I think!

Angele
01-19-2004, 11:05 PM
Okay - I've got the newspaper now so can start writing up this article
Thanks in advance Jessica :kiss:

Angele
01-19-2004, 11:08 PM
Just been talking to someone who watched Lleyton live on Friday - she says 1. He's in hot form, and 2. He's just hot.

LOL, we knew that already, I think!
Jo (roly23) saw Lleyton practice yesterday and she pretty much had the same thing to say lol... she said he was hitting with Tim ( Henman I assume) and that he totally kicked Tim's ass :p Glynn and Chezza were watching Lley practice, big surprise lol

Lisbeth
01-19-2004, 11:10 PM
Well you've got to give it to the parents, they're certainly dedicated, LOL!

Angele
01-19-2004, 11:12 PM
Well you've got to give it to the parents, they're certainly dedicated, LOL!
Yeah that's definetly one thing we can't take away from them lol... and Jo also said that apparently some things run in the family ; Glynn was on his mobile the whole time of Lley's practice :p

Lisbeth
01-19-2004, 11:12 PM
Apparently MaliVai Washington think Tim is the darkhorse to win. Um, I like Tim but ????

Angele
01-19-2004, 11:13 PM
Apparently MaliVai Washington think Tim is the darkhorse to win. Um, I like Tim but ????
Hmmm :scratch: Maybe he knows something we don't lol

dagmar7
01-19-2004, 11:18 PM
:wavey: thread

Our sports channel's coverage only starts at 3:30 A.M. so I won't be able to watch the match live.:fiery:

I'm trying...with limited success...to remain calm. Henman played really well at the end of the last year after dumping Larry Stefanki, didn't he? But still a long shot on this surface I would think...with the slice backhand and all.

Lisbeth
01-19-2004, 11:19 PM
Todd 2-0 against someone called Kutsenko. I guess I'll follow the scoreboard for a while.

dagmar7
01-19-2004, 11:19 PM
Yeah that's definetly one thing we can't take away from them lol... and Jo also said that apparently some things run in the family ; Glynn was on his mobile the whole time of Lley's practice :p

Probably talking to his lawyers.:o

Angele
01-19-2004, 11:20 PM
Dagmar :wavey:

TSN is beyond stupid :mad: Is it really necessary to repeat wrestling two hours after it originally aired? :rolleyes:

dagmar7
01-19-2004, 11:21 PM
Todd Reid, Pim-Pim, Maureen Drake--all are first up.

Great start for Todd.:D

Murkofan
Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing in regards of your coverage of the 2004 Australian Open.
I realize that the Australian Open is a difficult tournament to televise because of the time difference between that country and the United States, but I have been highly disappointed with your coverage so far.
During Sunday night's coverage, you showed Andy Roddick's match vs. Fernando Gonzalez live. This is understandable, given that he is American and the number one player in the world. You advertised the fact that Andre Agassi vs. Todd Larkham and Brian Vahaly vs. Marat Safin would be shown tape-delay on Monday afternoon.
Agassi's match, of course, was shown as promised. However, instead of broadcasting the advertised Vahaly/Safin match, viewers were "treated" to a repeat of the Roddick/Gonzalez match.
Why? The match had been shown live, in it's entirety, just the night before. It was not a riveting match; in fact, it was a routine straight-sets win by Roddick.
Not only is your coverage xenophobic, it is Roddick-centric.
By concentrating all of your coverage on Americans in general, and on Roddick and Agassi specifically, you are doing yourself a great disservice. What happens to your ratings when a player of another nationality makes the Semi-Final or Final of such a prestigious event? The casual viewer will have no knowledge of this player and will have no interest in the match, thereby decreasing your ratings.
In this year's Australian Open, Roddick and Agassi are on the same side of the draw, making a Final between them impossible. I can only hope this occurs in every Grand Slam, and that you will be forced to diversify your coverage because of it. Tennis is an international sport, and it would behoove you to remember that when choosing your matches to be broadcast.

Sincerely,
Marly *****, tennis fan

Angele
Todd 2-0 against someone called Kutsenko. I guess I'll follow the scoreboard for a while.
Oh I didn't realize play had started already :o Go Todd :D :bounce:

Jess
01-19-2004, 11:22 PM
HAPPY CLIJSTERS FIT TO TAKE HOME ADVANTAGE : By Neil Harman (who is clearly a fan :lol:) From Monday's Times (UK) (mostly about Kim but a few nice Lleyki comments)

She has been dubbed the "Flem Fatale" although she would hardly find that sobriquet entirely fitting and neither would hte excitable Lleyton Hewitt, her fiancee. What Kim Clijsters can offer after the torrent of graphic headlines that have tainted the week preceding the year's first grand slamp championship, is a face that exudes pleasure, poise and positive outlook. And she is fit to play, which is wonderful. (See what I mean about him being a fan :lol: )

The women's field for the A.O has been scattered to the four winds - when Ai Sugiyama, of Japan, a decent doubles players, is the eighth seed in the singles, you know it is not the strongest event there has been - so seeing Clijsters come bounding through the gates of Melbourne Park yesterday prevented any more of the hairs of Paul McNamee the tournament director turning grey.
Given the extent of her Achilles injury - and twisted ankles have been an increasingly common occurance here since Rebound Ace replaced grass in 1988 - Clijsters cannot be sure that she will last this ardous event but she is pulling the strapping across her ankles and raising local expectations. Australian? Of course.

From the momoent that she won the WTA championships in LA in Novemeber, Clijsters has been settling into a routine here, chilling out, supporting her husband-to-be on the way to a Davis cup victory over Spain and lending a feminine touch to decorating the new home that they are going to share in Adelaide. She is Our Kimmy to Australians and if Belgium is a touch jealous then so it be. :lol:

There would have been little point in preparing for the start of what is likely to be another frenzied campaign by consistently having to duck into Flemish indoor courts on dark, bitter winter mornings. Better to wake up in the sunshine, spend the day in the sunshine and retire to the sunshine. When Clijsters tumbled over during an exhibition event in Perth last week the shock was as immense in Australia as it was in Belgium. Only in the event that one of their own could summon a victory on Jan 31st (and that is about as likely as British woman winning wimbledon before the next Ice Age : ) would the Australians celebrate more than if Kim took the prize.
She came close to grand slam glory twice in 2003 losing in the finals of both the French and US Opens to Ezel :o her compatrio. And she led 5-1 in the final set of the semi final of the AO a year ago to Serena before crumbling like a thin pastry crust. To recover from those three setbacks, become No1 for three months and collect the last significant title of the year spoke of her qualities.

Clijsters is ranked No2 behind Ezel and there is one Willliams breathing down their necks, Venus, having been elevated from her ranking of No 11 to No3 seed for the AO - why remains a mystery . Serena, the defending champion is absent, her left knee unable to hold up to the rigours of competition,
"Serena not being her is a great shame," Kim, 20 said yesterday, "It's great when she and Venus are around. People love to see them play and I love to play against them. The two of them have made everyone else in women's tennis step up, become stronger and more powerful. They made us more aware of our own weaknesses. I've certainly realised what it takes to maintain a level of fitness throughout a long tennis year. I want to be able to compete against them."

Clijsters, who would play Venus in the semi-finals according to the seeding admits that her tumble in Perth caused more than a little anxiety. "I was scared." she said, "At the end of last year I just tried to keep going and I really needed a rest. My body was telling me I'd done enough. It's a matter of maturing and learning that taking rest is as important as playing."

She was fortunate to be born naturally fit, something in the genes as Leo, her father was a footballer and Els, her mother a gymnast. Carl Maes said, "We wored together for seven years, 48 weeks a year and, right from the early days every time she went into a new categroy of competion from the U14's and U18's she would swim and the others would sink. There was so much belief and a right attitude there. I don't see a different player now. She doesn't hit the ball harder than she used to, but she does find her best level a lot easier now. She is so happy with Lleyton. I worried - because he is so demanding in his own environment - that he would be so focused on himself and Kim would get to the quarters or semis and be overlooked. But it didn't happen. Now she is his equal as a player as well."

Lisbeth
I think Henman is calm, hardworking (otherwise he wouldn't hit with Ll so often!) and talented, so if he was a quarter or semi pick I would be thinking "sure". But he's going to beat several of the top 4 or Hewitt in a row? I'm not so sure!

Angele
Excellent letter Marly :yeah:

Lisbeth
01-19-2004, 11:26 PM
LOL@Dagmar

Cheers 4 Marly!

Angele
01-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Thanks Jess :kiss:

From the momoent that she won the WTA championships in LA in Novemeber, Clijsters has been settling into a routine here, chilling out, supporting her husband-to-be on the way to a Davis cup victory over Spain and lending a feminine touch to decorating the new home that they are going to share in Adelaide. She is Our Kimmy to Australians and if Belgium is a touch jealous then so it be.

I really like that paragraph :hearts: :angel:

Angele
01-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Does the AO website not have a netcam? :scratch:

Lisbeth
01-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Wow, thanks Jess for typing all that! Nice article!

Scotso
01-19-2004, 11:31 PM
go Todd and PimPim :D

Jess
01-19-2004, 11:31 PM
I think the AO site has a webcam but only on the main courts.

Anyway I think I'm going to bed now :rolleyes: school tomorrow.

Jess
01-19-2004, 11:32 PM
Bye :wavey:

Angele
01-19-2004, 11:32 PM
I know there must be a netcam but I just can't find it :o

Lisbeth
01-19-2004, 11:33 PM
I'm off for a bit too. Have a lovely day/night folks, try not to burst any blood vessels cheering!

Angele
Goodnight Jess :wavey: Hope you wake up to some good results :)

Jess
Oh and of course good luck to Lleyton and Kim ;)

And Ll if you could make it a short match finished by around 7pm it would be hugely appreciated ;)

Goodnight.

Angele
01-19-2004, 11:34 PM
See you later Jane :wavey:

Scotso
01-19-2004, 11:34 PM
I need a pornish name

Chesty Larue
01-19-2004, 11:37 PM
Yay Marly..Great letter :D

lol..Flem Fatale :unsure:

I'm undecided as to if that's cheesy or a little clever..it's amusing none the less :lol: :p

Angele
01-19-2004, 11:38 PM
I give up trying to find a netcam on the AO site... if anybody finds one, let me know lol

Scotso
01-19-2004, 11:39 PM
I don't think there are any

Scotso
01-19-2004, 11:39 PM
Fight Olivier :fiery:

PimPim breaks :D 3*-2

dagmar7
01-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Excellent letter, Marly. I hope espn gets a lot of them. I am not getting enough tennis coverage either.:mad:

Thanks for posting the article, Jessica. I like Neil Harman's writing.:)

Pim-Pim breaks Alexander Popp.:)

Scotso
6-3 Reid :D

Angele
Todd takes the first set 6-3 :D

Murkofan
01-19-2004, 11:41 PM
You liked my letter, yay :D It confused my sister. "Dude, you use too many big words." :p

Murkofan
01-19-2004, 11:42 PM
Ooh, "Eye of the Tiger" just came on :D Good omen, anyone? :p

Double ooh, breakfast for dinner :D

Chesty Larue
01-19-2004, 11:43 PM
You liked my letter, yay :D It confused my sister. "Dude, you use too many big words." :p

That's a direct quote is it :p

I hope they get a ton..it's freaking insane :(

oooh our beloved Mo broke ;)

Scotso
01-19-2004, 11:45 PM
I'm sleepy :o

But I have to stay up to see JC and Nath :o

dagmar7
01-19-2004, 11:46 PM

I think they'll get the message loud and clear.;)

Probably, someone on the staff knows what xenophobic means. Although now that I think about it...:o

Angele
01-19-2004, 11:46 PM
Todd already up a break in the second :woohoo:

Chesty Larue
01-19-2004, 11:47 PM

Probably, someone on the staff knows what xenophobic means. Although now that I think about it...:o

*Imagines ESPN staffer leafing thru the dictionary* :p

Angele
01-19-2004, 11:47 PM

Scotso
01-19-2004, 11:50 PM
Elena L :fiery:

dagmar7
Keep going like this, Maureen.:bounce:

Cute if bitchy Olivier Rochus, hold your serve!:mad:

Danni
:bigwave: Hey peeps!
Did ya know that Roger proposed to his girlfriend a few weeks after LL proposed to Kim. And Roger said thathis fiance got along well with Kim ;)

Kate05
That was a good letter Marly. Very "suck it ESPN!" in a polite way. :p This morning I turned on ESPN and was like 'wha! They just showed Roddick last night and I stopped watching it at this exact game point! Bastards!'

I have petitioned for a breast themed name at the name change thread. You must all be so pleased that I'm joining your cult. :p

Chesty Larue
01-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Well ESPN is in trouble with Americans on the bottom half haha :p

In a day or 2 all their men will be gone, and they've 7 american women in the bottom..only 2 of which are tv worthy. Most will be also gone in a day or 2 ;)

Angele
01-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Did ya know that Roger proposed to his girlfriend a few weeks after LL proposed to Kim. And Roger said thathis fiance got along well with Kim ;)
Awww, that's sweet :angel: Marc also got engaged in the off season but before Lley and Kim I believe!

dagmar7
01-19-2004, 11:53 PM

No, I didn't know that! Congratulations to Mirka (sp.?)--anyway that cute young woman whose name starts with M--and Roger. I read the rumour that she was partly responsible for Federer firing his coach.

:devil:

Angele
Mo takes the first set 6-2 :yeah:

Chesty Larue
Mo wins the first set 6-2 :D Go Mo! :)

Angele
01-19-2004, 11:56 PM
I didn't even think of Roger Federer, I assumed Roger as in Lley's coach :scratch:

Scotso
01-19-2004, 11:56 PM
I'm being ignored :sad:

Chesty Larue
01-19-2004, 11:57 PM
That was a good letter Marly. Very "suck it ESPN!" in a polite way. :p This morning I turned on ESPN and was like 'wha! They just showed Roddick last night and I stopped watching it at this exact game point! Bastards!'

I have petitioned for a breast themed name at the name change thread. You must all be so pleased that I'm joining your cult. :p

:lol: Great name Kate :yeah:

Murkofan
:wavey: Kate! Good on ya for getting a breast-themed name :yeah: :p

Go Mo! Go Todd! Go Ollie!

Heh, that's what my sister said after I explained to her what it meant :p

I got some generic reply from ESPN, but they gave me the link to something called ESPN Viewer Zone. I registered, so now I have a specific section of their website in which to get together with other fans and really bitch 'em out. :devil:

Y'all should join too: http://www.espnviewerzone.com

Angele

:wavey: Kate! Well done :yeah: Which name did you pick?

Scotso
01-19-2004, 11:58 PM
There's this REALLY hot guy named Bailey (what a hot name) in my sociology class. He checks me out so I think he's gay. Eric keeps catching me looking at him and gets mad.

Danni
Oh sorry guys- I meant LL's coach Roger :o ;)

dagmar7
I didn't even think of Roger Federer, I assumed Roger as in Lley's coach :scratch:

Oh, maybe you're right. I just assume Federer. I'm still in some coach-denial.:p :o

Angele
First set to Joachim 6-4 :)

Kate05
01-19-2004, 11:59 PM
I've just been blinded today by finding out that Ashley Harkleroad is engaged to Alex Boglomolov Jr or some other weird Russian name like that. Any bets on when they'll break it off? :p Seriously though going out for 5 months? I think someone was just trying to steal Kim's thunder. :p

Danni
01-20-2004, 12:01 AM
I think someone was just trying to steal Kim's thunder. :p
they'd need a damn big ring to do that ;) :p

Angele
I've just been blinded today by finding out that Ashley Harkleroad is engaged to Alex Boglomolov Jr or some other weird Russian name like that. Any bets on when they'll break it off? :p Seriously though going out for 5 months? I think someone was just trying to steal Kim's thunder. :p
I don't know when they'll break it off but I would be shocked if they actually made it to the altar :o

Chesty Larue

haha no offense to Ashley but..she can't come anywhere near stealing Kim's thunder ;)

Yeah Bogolomov Jr is playing Federer today :p Have fun with that one ;)

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:02 AM
Oh, maybe you're right. I just assume Federer. I'm still in some coach-denial.:p :o

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 12:03 AM
Ashley announced her engagement first, I think, so technically Kim stole her thunder :p

I forgot, go Pim Pim!

Chesty Larue
01-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Ashley announced her engagement first, I think, so technically Kim stole her thunder :p

I forgot, go Pim Pim!

Really? :confused:

lol Go Kimmie! :p

dagmar7

They got engaged before Lleyton and Kim...it wasn't really as widely publicized. I wish the crazy kids (Ashley and Alex, of course) well, but it seems awfully young.

Ollie, Maureen :banghead: Do not do this to me!

Scotso
6-3 6-2 Reid :D

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 12:06 AM
:lol: Nice name, Kate :yeah:

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:06 AM
What irks me about Ashely-Alex is that they've only been together for a couple of months :unsure: They aren't that much younger than Lleyton and Kim but Lleyton and Kim have been together for 4 years, not 4 months :p

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:07 AM
Todd :bounce:

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 12:09 AM
Hey now, come on. We had that discussion about our parents' ridiculously short courtships, and they weren't much older than Ashley and Alex. Who's to say what will happen? I give 'em props for preferring to get married rather than shack up. Time will tell whether it works or not.

Kate05
01-20-2004, 12:10 AM
Angele I picked TaTa LeGrande for my new name.

They got engaged first? I thought it was after since every article I've seen also mentions Kim and Lleyton(and the writers say everything lovely about them but calling them the golden couple while deeming Ashley and Alex the slightly weird couple :lol: ). Maybe because the articles are about Ashley confirming it. Well if Kim stole Ashley's light thunder all the power to her. :p

Chesty Larue
01-20-2004, 12:10 AM
I need a pic of Todd..is he cute?

I'm sure all would be floored to learn that Stevenson is down a set and a break lol ;) Ahh to dwell in mediocrity :p

dagmar7
01-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Well, she's very much a Christian girl, so she may be strongly against premarital sex, and that makes marital sex look ever so much more desirable.;)

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Nice name choice Kate :lol:

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:14 AM
Todd's adorable... let me go find a pic!

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Well, she's very much a Christian girl, so she may be strongly against premarital sex, and that makes marital sex look ever so much more desirable.;)

Certainly the moral way to go, at any rate :p

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:18 AM
I think if somebody gets married just to have sex that would nullify any points they get for being moral and not wanting to have sex before marriage :unsure:

dagmar7
01-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Maureen losing the second set to love.

Fight Maureen. You're our last hope.:bowdown:

...in singles, anyway.

Scotso
01-20-2004, 12:20 AM
*ignored*

Kate05
I say if your getting married just to have sex at least do it when your engaged. It makes it all the more funny if you break up before getting married. :p

dagmar7
Certainly the moral way to go, at any rate :p

Well, if those are her principles, I admire her for sticking to them. It can't be easy on the tour with all the tedium and those hot tennis players wandering around, lecherous coaches and promoters, groupies etc.

er, go Ashley--you fend them off, girl!;)

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 12:22 AM
I think if somebody gets married just to have sex that would nullify any points they get for being moral and not wanting to have sex before marriage :unsure:

Anybody who truly believed sex before marriage was immoral would never disrespect the sanctity of marriage in such a way.

Although I suppose you always have your crackpots :rolleyes:

Fight Mo! :mad:

Kate05
01-20-2004, 12:23 AM
And with that I must go. I'm done with my english paper and therefore my mother is making us leave. I have never wanted to stay at my grandmother's house so much. Cable internet and digital cable tv. *sigh* I will be back tomorrow around the same time since I have another final paper to write.

:wavey:

Chesty Larue
01-20-2004, 12:24 AM
Yeah I don't think she's getting married just to have sex :p I highly doubt she's that much of an airhead lol

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Cya later Kate, hope your computer is fixed soon! :wavey:

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Here ya go Ileana:

http://delivery.****************/comp/2495057.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DE66F90CECF81BDB3AA14070E3B422 20CE

Pictures of Todd are a little hard to find and all the newspix pictures have the watermark right over his face :mad:

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:28 AM
Yeah I don't think she's getting married just to have sex :p I highly doubt she's that much of an airhead lol
I certainly hope that's not the reason she's getting married :o I think the reason anybody is even thinking about that is because while she might be all religious and everything, Alex might not be and well, boys will be boys ;) :p

Chesty Larue
01-20-2004, 12:28 AM
Thanks Ange..he doesn't look too bad ;)

Mo bombed the second set 0-6 so she could stage the big comeback :p 2-0 Mo in the third ;)

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:29 AM
http://delivery.****************/comp/1890947.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DE19EA8F1388E69E221A5E78E61C1F B2BC

dagmar7
01-20-2004, 12:29 AM

Not just to have sex...I'm sure Alex is charming, but it can add additional incentive, of course--nothing too surprising there. It's not a great idea to marry someone you find physically repellant, after all.:p

:wavey: bye, Kate

Chesty Larue
01-20-2004, 12:30 AM
Y'all are just too cynical :p

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 12:31 AM
Shh, Chesty, don't jinx Mo :p Lol, I bet there was a lot of swearing and racket-chucking in that set :p

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 12:31 AM
Mantilla is 2 sets down!

Sorry to be stupid but who's Mo?

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 12:32 AM
Y'all are just too cynical :p

I second that :p

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:33 AM
Mantilla is 2 sets down!

Maureen Drake :)

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:33 AM
Todd wins in straight sets :D :yeah:

Chesty Larue
01-20-2004, 12:34 AM
Mantilla is 2 sets down!

Maureen Drake..our lone Canadian hope ;)

Marly I think she enjoys hitting the racket on the ground much more than tossing it ;)

Our Mo's got fire in the belly :p

Murkofan
Mo rocks :p

dagmar7
Mantilla is 2 sets down!

Mo is Canadian tennis and fashion icon Maureen Drake, and I suppose that the cynical comments are directed towards me.:D

:angel:

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 12:35 AM
Marly I think she enjoys hitting the racket on the ground much more than tossing it ;)

Our Mo's got fire in the belly :p

Hitting it is probably smarter than throwing it. She might pull a Coria and hit someone :p

Mo rocks :p

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Mo is Canadian tennis and fashion icon Maureen Drake, and I suppose that the cynical comments are directed towards me.:D

:angel:
Directed towards the both of us I think :p

Chesty Larue
Wow Myskina's got herself locked in a little bit of a battle :o

Angele
Pim Pim up two sets to love :)

Scotso
ok I'll go :wavey:

dagmar7
01-20-2004, 12:37 AM
Todd Reid.:D

The lovely and talented Paola Suarez is also through.:)

...but Maureen, Maureen, our Canadian queen...please fight!

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:38 AM
Cya Scott :wavey:

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 12:38 AM
Myskina, aka The Hair :p

Go Pim Pim! Go Mo!

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 12:39 AM
Well, if those are her principles, I admire her for sticking to them. It can't be easy on the tour with all the tedium and those hot tennis players wandering around, lecherous coaches and promoters, groupies etc.

er, go Ashley--you fend them off, girl!;)

Not to mention all the feral lesbians in the locker room, she should ask Sam Stevenson for protection.

Actually, I admire people who stick to their morals as long as they don't expect anyone else to stick to those moral too. Not that I think Ashley pushes them on anyone else.

dagmar7
01-20-2004, 12:39 AM
Bye Scott :wavey:

Olivier making a bit of a comeback in the third.:)

Pim-Pim :worship:

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:40 AM
Cutie Feliciano Lopez up two sets to love :)

Chesty Larue
and as I say that Myskina breaks and wins :p

lol Our Canadian Queen ;)

Murkofan
I enjoy Suarez when she's not half of the doubles team beating Kimai :p

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 12:41 AM
Not to mention all the feral lesbians in the locker room, she should ask Sam Stevenson for protection.

:haha:

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:44 AM
Actually, I admire people who stick to their morals as long as they don't expect anyone else to stick to those moral too. Not that I think Ashley pushes them on anyone else.

Ditto! Although I'm sure it's tough for Ashley and Alex if they don't have the same values, which may or may not be the case, I don't know.

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 12:44 AM
Yay Todd! Wow he's having a great year!

Go Pim Pim! Go Rog!

dagmar7
01-20-2004, 12:45 AM

Feral lesbians sounds very B-movie...Conchita Martinex in a faux tiger skin or something.

Chesty Larue
01-20-2004, 12:46 AM

Feral lesbians sounds very B-movie...Conchita Martinex in a faux tiger skin or something.

:eek:

She can steal Mo's outfit :p

Chesty Larue
01-20-2004, 12:47 AM
k gotta run :wavey:

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 12:48 AM
Martina Nav and BJK with a butterfly net, perhaps.

Speaking of the all-time nuttiest tennis parent, I think I noticed Alex was about to lose.

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:49 AM
:wavey: Cya later Ileana!

dagmar7
01-20-2004, 12:51 AM
Martina Nav and BJK with a butterfly net, perhaps.

Speaking of the all-time nuttiest tennis parent, I think I noticed Alex was about to lose.

lol...they really should make that extra special movie about the tour.

She has, in fact, lost. The curse of the surprise Wimbledon semi-finalist...Dokic, Stevenson, Lucic, I think.

:wavey: Ileana

Goonergal
01-20-2004, 12:52 AM
:wavey: All!

Don't blow it Mo!

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 12:53 AM
I know it's not good to look ahead too far, but this Mantilla 7-5 6-1 4-4 down thing really has implications for that section of the draw.

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:54 AM
:wavey: Cilla!

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 12:54 AM
Interesting point. I wonder if it's because they get too confident too young?

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 12:56 AM
Popp seems to have a touch of the same curse going today actually.

dagmar7
01-20-2004, 12:56 AM
:wavey: Cilla

Jane, don't forget that chinless wunderkind Rafael Nadal is in that section of the draw. Just made the finals at Aukland. He could be dangerous.

Anyway...I'm trying to take it one match at a time....Cecil Mamiit, Cecil Mamiit...:eek:

Goonergal
01-20-2004, 12:57 AM
Mo had an mp, but Barna saved it & Mo is serving for the match. C'mon Mo! :yippee:

C'mon Pim Pim :D Plus, well done Todd! :D

Angele
01-20-2004, 12:59 AM
C'mon Mo!

Goonergal
01-20-2004, 12:59 AM
Costa serving for the match against Greg. No suprise there :(

Goonergal
01-20-2004, 01:00 AM
Popp is a funny one. He does nothing all year, but always has a great run at Wimbledon :scratch:

dagmar7
01-20-2004, 01:01 AM
Maureen, please serve it out! :bowdown:

I saw that. urgh, Greg...that was always going to be a tough match and he has plenty of distractions.:(

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 01:01 AM
Oh don't worry, I am not underestimating Nadal, or for that matter Malisse, Kucera or Federer!

Meanwhile Sargsian lead Bjorkman 3-0. Looks like the Lleyton magic rubbed off on Sargsian and the Roddick magic did not rub off on Bjorkman! He'll probably come back though, very smart player.

Goonergal
01-20-2004, 01:03 AM
Costa wins 6-4, 6-3, 6-4 :( :( :(

Lisbeth
I think Popp is an Arthurs-style all serve, no game type player.

Goonergal
Mo got broken :sad: 5-5 :(

dagmar7
01-20-2004, 01:04 AM
Oh don't worry, I am not underestimating Nadal, or for that matter Malisse, Kucera or Federer!

Meanwhile Sargsian lead Bjorkman 3-0. Looks like the Lleyton magic rubbed off on Sargsian and the Roddick magic did not rub off on Bjorkman! He'll probably come back though, very smart player.

I know, I think of these things too, I just pretend not to for some reason.:o

I like both Sarge and Jonas, and I agree--I expect Jonas to come back from that.

Maureen :banghead:

Goonergal
01-20-2004, 01:04 AM
I think Popp is an Arthurs-style all serve, no game type player.

That is a great definition Jane :yeah:

Goonergal
01-20-2004, 01:07 AM
I think Mo has blown her chance :sad: 6-5 Barna :(

Coverage here switches to Fed/Bogmolov Jnr-Harkelroad ;)

Angele
01-20-2004, 01:08 AM
Well ladies I am off to bed... I should be on during Kim's match, hopefully I won't be alone :p

P.S Y'all cheer on Lleyton for me!!

Goonergal
01-20-2004, 01:10 AM
Mo loses 7-5 in the 3rd :( Yet another missed opportunity for Mo *sigh* :(

Lisbeth
Bye Angele. I'll certainly cheer Lleyton for you - pls cheer Kimmy for me if I am not here!

dagmar7
:wavey: Ange

...Maureen :fiery: You weren't the favourite, but so many opportunities.

I'm going to head off too. I'm already all worked up.:p

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 01:13 AM
I'm off for a bit but I'll be back for Lleyton.

Goonergal
01-20-2004, 01:14 AM
Bye Guys :wavey: I'm off too, I'm already yawning, and Lleyton's match is nowhere near :eek:

Cya :wavey:

Edit: Pimmy wins 6-4 in the Third :yeah: :kiss:

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 01:50 AM
D'oh, Mo blew it! I am crushed.

Not to look too far ahead :p but in Ll's section, I think Nadal scares me the most until PN. :eek:

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 01:56 AM
Ai won, 6-4 6-2 :D :woohoo:

Schnyder/Widjaja is tied at a set all. Nadal just won the first set of his match 6-1 :o Bjorkman is down a set and a break. Lopez/Martin are in the beginning of the 5th set, which I think bodes well for Pim Pim :yeah:

Chesty Larue
01-20-2004, 02:00 AM
lol...they really should make that extra special movie about the tour.

She has, in fact, lost. The curse of the surprise Wimbledon semi-finalist...Dokic, Stevenson, Lucic, I think.

:wavey: Ileana

Not to mention the biggest of them all..Kournikova ;)

That is actually a rather odd stat :scratch:

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 02:10 AM
Karma? :p

Scotso
01-20-2004, 02:10 AM
why isn't Allan in here?

Rafael is up 6-1 4-1 :D :bounce:

Go go go my love :hearts:

http://members4.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/getImage.pl?imgID=28725645-10ce&trans=

Scotso
01-20-2004, 02:11 AM
go Emmanuelle, go Guillermo, go Rafael :D

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 02:12 AM
Bjorkman down a break in the third. Martin up 5-1 in the 5th (boo, too fast!). Nadal up 4-1 in the 2nd. Widjaja up a break in the 3rd. Wayno up a set, Coria in a tb, Venus/Harkleroad 1-1.

I don't know why I'm posting this :p

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 02:15 AM
Now Bjorkman and Schynder back on serve in their respective 3rds :p

Scotso
01-20-2004, 02:18 AM
Hi Marly.

Scotso
01-20-2004, 02:19 AM
Amanda Coetzer :D

I love her.

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 02:20 AM
Bjorkman instantly down a break again :p Martin wins 6-2 in the 5th and will be Pim Pim's next opponent; Venus up a break on Ashley. Looks like it might be a bad day for the Other Engaged Couple :p

Scotso
01-20-2004, 02:21 AM
omg Coria lost the first set :sad:

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 02:24 AM
Yo Scotty :wazzup:

Coria lost the 1st set in a tb. Nadal up two sets to nil.

Scotso
01-20-2004, 02:25 AM
PimPim will crush him.

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 02:28 AM
Wayno up a break in the 2nd :D Coetzer is in the middle of the Longest Game In The World.

Scotso
01-20-2004, 02:29 AM
Emmanuelle broke back :D

ugh fight Guille!

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 02:30 AM
PimPim will crush him.

I sure hope so. We should have lots of good new pics for our Pim Pim Appreciation Thread :D

Coria down a break in the 2nd.

Scotso
01-20-2004, 02:31 AM
Damn, Jonas got spanked!

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 02:33 AM
Coetzer FINALLY won The Longest Game In The World to go up 5-0. Venus broke again to take the first set 6-2. Nadal up a break in the 3rd.

Scotso
01-20-2004, 02:33 AM
Emmanuelle broken :mad:

Nadal up 6-1 6-2 2*-1 :D

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 02:36 AM
Wayno up two sets :D

Scotso
01-20-2004, 02:38 AM
Manu broke again :D

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 02:39 AM
Coetzer wins, Nalbandian up a set.

Scotso
01-20-2004, 02:40 AM
since when do you like the server?

Scotso
01-20-2004, 02:42 AM
lot of good players on now

pf what is wrong with Coria :mad:

go Richard!

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 02:43 AM
I just an email from CNN saying they predict John Kerry to win the Iowa caucus. What a turnaround!

Coria now down two breaks in the 2nd.

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 02:44 AM
since when do you like the server?

Who, Dent?

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 02:46 AM
Venus up two breaks, Coria down two sets.

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 02:47 AM
Nadal wins in straights.

Scotso
01-20-2004, 02:48 AM
Rafael kicked ASS :D

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 02:49 AM
Ashley gets one break back.

Scotso
01-20-2004, 02:51 AM
Venus is almost done, wouldn't it be GREAT if they showed Lleyton :D

It's been so long since I've seen him play.

Scotso
01-20-2004, 02:51 AM
Golovin up 3-0 :eek:

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 02:53 AM
Pushing a Prodigy
Wie's Rising Star Could Fall if Not Checked
By JOHN FEINSTEIN
AOL Exclusive

Let's be completely honest about this: The most dramatic moments in golf dating back to last May have involved women: Annika Sorenstam at The Colonial and Michelle Wie last week in Hawaii.

That's no knock on Jim Furyk, Ben Curtis or Shaun Micheel, who won the last three majors of 2003, the latter two producing remarkable upsets. It isn't a knock on Tiger Woods or Vijay Singh, one of whom won the PGA Tour player-of-the-year-award, the other the money title.

The majors were dramatic, and Woods and Singh were brilliant, each in his own the weight-of-the-world-is-on-my-shoulders way.

Yet none of it matched Sorenstam or Wie. In both cases, the women performed at levels much higher than was predicted by the so-called experts, including most of the male players they were competing against. What's more, both brought attention to golf far beyond normal levels.

The last time the Sony Open was front-page news in sports sections anywhere outside the 50th state was when Isao Aoki holed out from the fairway on the 18th hole to beat Jack Renner by a shot in 1983. And that wasn't anywhere close to this.

Wie drew raves from fellow players and shocked almost everyone by backing up a solid 72 on Thursday with a remarkable 68 on Friday. She missed the cut by one shot -- imagine what the weekend might have been like had she made it -- and showed that there was a lot more to her game than length. She is 14 years old, poised, mature, attractive, and clearly able to perform under pressure.

Justifiably, people are raving about her. Sure, she was playing on a golf course she knows cold -- the New York Times reported Sunday she had played 50 practice rounds at Waialae Country Club since November -- sleeping in her own bed with her hometown fans cheering her on. She still had to perform in the crucible and she did.

Wie has a chance to be the most important female golfer since Nancy Lopez took the sports world by storm almost 30 years ago and brought attention to the women's tour it has not had until Sorenstam decided to play at Colonial. She's the whole package.

Unlike Sorenstam, she seems to enjoy the spotlight -- Sorenstam merely endures it with grace -- and with her size and strength she has the potential to dominate when she arrives on tour the way Tiger Woods did when he took the golf world by storm back in 1996.

The key word in all this, however, is potential. She could be the female Tiger Woods. Or she could be the female Ted Oh.

Remember Ted Oh? If you don't, you're not alone. Ten years ago, he was a teen-age phenom, and there were people who claimed he was as good or better than Woods. They were wrong.

Two years ago, Ty Tryon was all the rage after he made it through the grueling PGA Tour qualifying school at the age of 17. His parents decided that playing on the tour as a teen-ager was a fine idea. When last seen, Tryon was failing to make it to the finals of the 2003 Q-School after two years filled with injuries, missed cuts and -- no doubt -- plenty of frustration and misery.

Earl Woods has been criticized, justifiably, for turning his son into a cash cow and taking bows incessantly for his success. But you can't knock the plan he had for his son: dominate junior golf, live a semi-normal life at home, attend college for two years, and then turn pro just a few months before turning 21.

During his years as an amateur, Tiger Woods accepted a total of seven sponsors' exemptions into pro tournaments. He qualified for the Masters, U.S. Open and British Open with his victories in the U.S. Amateur, but he didn't tee it up against the pros very often until he was one of them.

Hawaii was the eighth time Wie has accepted a sponsor's exemption into a pro tournament -- men's or women's. She is apparently planning to accept six more from the LPGA Tour this year (the maximum allowed) and will no doubt be offered more chances to play against the men again on the Canadian Tour, the Nationwide Tour and, most likely, the PGA Tour.

Last summer she played, it seemed, almost every week, a grueling schedule for a pro, much less for a 13-year-old girl. What's more, it is now being reported by golf sources that her dad, B.J. Wie, has been "hired" by the International Management Group as a "junior golf consultant."

IMG, whose modest goal is to control everything there is to control in sports, :lol: did the same thing a few years ago when it put Earl Woods on the payroll while his son was still an amateur. In an upset that had to rank right up there with the sun rising in the morning or Iowa snowfall in January, Tiger Woods became an IMG client on the day he turned pro.

In real life, this is called money laundering; you can't pay the kid, so you pay the father to ensure that the kid will become your client when he can be paid.

Both the U.S. Golf Association and the NCAA chose to turn their heads the other way, the flimsy excuse being that there was no absolute proof that IMG was paying the father in order to get to the son.

Sure. And Watergate was a third-rate burglary.

Now, IMG is apparently doing the same thing with the Wie family. And you can bet the USGA will turn its head again. This time it has an even better excuse: If they didn't question the hiring of Earl Woods, how can they possibly justify the hiring of B.J.Wie?

What's important about this isn't so much the clear skirting of the rules of amateurism, but the question of how hard IMG will push the father to push the daughter. Prodigies need to be nurtured, not pushed. Tiger Woods survived all the pushing, and Michelle Wie may very well survive it all too.

Yet, you can't help but worry.

Jennifer Capriati, another IMG client with a pushy father, flamed out by the time she was 18, went through several years of misery before resurrecting her career -- although she never became the superstar she was supposed to become. In the end, she has had a very good career, winning three major titles. But there's a difference between very good and historic.

We will also never know how many major titles Andre Agassi might have won if he hadn't wasted the first half of his career chasing money. He was also an IMG client.

That's not to say IMG is totally to blame for those who fail. It isn't nearly that simple. But IMG is in business to make money, money and more money. There's always another prodigy rounding the corner with a father who can become a junior talent scout.

Clearly, Wie is going to play a lot of golf. Just as clearly, those handling her -- whoever they might be -- think that the way to make her most marketable is to put her in with the boys whenever possible and with the women as often as possible.

Tiger Woods pointed out last week that he benefitted from learning to dominate one level at a time. The best thing for Michelle Wie right now would be to go to a ninth-grade dance or two; to try to win the U.S. Junior Championship this summer, and take a shot at the U.S. Women's Amateur. Play in a few tournaments this summer and then get ready for 10th grade.

There was nothing wrong with Wie playing at Waialae. It involved no travel, it gave her a chance to test herself against the best and it all turned out fine. She finished ahead of 49 players and played remarkably coming down the stretch on Friday. Now, she should go back to school, have some fun and take a deep breath.

Maybe she and her father should study the history of sports prodigies. Maybe Wie should talk to Tiger Woods. And to Ted Oh and Ty Tryon and Jennifer Capriati.

When was the last time a prodigy suffered by not being pushed?

01-19-04

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 02:54 AM
LOL, you can't blink around here. I head off for an hour and a quarter with Feds and friends nutting out a relatively cloes match and come back with Fed taking the third 6-0 and Venus nearly finished with Ashley (oh yeah, REALLY tough draw for Venus there, she's struggling all right).

So it's nearly Lleyton I guess! Great timing!

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 02:55 AM
Now Coria down a break in the 3rd!

You reckon xenophobic ESPN would show Ll when they come on in an hour or so? I haven't seen him play since the USO, and I haven't seen him play really well since I don't know when.

Scotso
01-20-2004, 02:59 AM
Coria must still be injured :(

Scotso
01-20-2004, 03:02 AM
they're showing Venus' match tape-delayed :lol:

Scotso
01-20-2004, 03:03 AM
they're so fucking biased, and they think we're stupid :fiery:

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 03:08 AM
uM, pardon my lack of knowledge about the US electoral system and its candidated (I have a vague idea what a primary is, that's about it) but which one is Kerry? Is he the wacky democratic doctor guy?

Scotso
01-20-2004, 03:10 AM
Manu up a set and break :D

Golovin bagelled Mikaelian :eek:

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 03:11 AM
Nadal is really promising. I think he needs a year or two more experience before he gets the nerves and consistency to crack the really big time, but even now there's no doubt he's dangerous to any top player in any draw. He could be #1 in a few years.

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 03:12 AM
I reckon there's about an, oh, 100% chance that Ch 7 is showing Lleyton but of course, I'm at work so it doesn't help me.

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 03:13 AM
they're showing Venus' match tape-delayed :lol:

What a load of utter horseshit. Now I regret sending my flaming email earlier in the day.

Chesty Larue
01-20-2004, 03:16 AM
What a load of utter horseshit. Now I regret sending my flaming email earlier in the day.

Why do you regret your email?

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 03:16 AM
Because I would have included this shitty decision in there too. How much you want to bet the Venus match shows up again tomorrow afternoon?

Scotso
01-20-2004, 03:17 AM
Send another.

Stupid asses. I WANT TO SEE LLEYTON! Maybe we still will... after Venus gets done trauncing the slut.

Correction: Rafael WILL be #1 :D

Chesty Larue
01-20-2004, 03:18 AM
Because I would have included this shitty decision in there too. How much you want to bet the Venus match shows up again tomorrow afternoon?

Well eventually they're going to have to resort to non-American players..they only have Venus and Chanda..what are they going to do show Raymond's match :p

Scotso
01-20-2004, 03:18 AM
They said they're gonna show Johansson vs. Flip, but I doubt it. I wouldn't mind seeing Thomas again. It's been a LONG time.

Gasquet lost the first set :rolleyes: :mad:

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 03:19 AM
Yes, become a vexatious complainer!

Chesty Larue
01-20-2004, 03:20 AM
They will show Flip/Thomas..they won't show Kim.

Scotso
01-20-2004, 03:20 AM
Well eventually they're going to have to resort to non-American players..they only have Venus and Chanda..what are they going to do show Raymond's match :p

They'd just show Roddick's match over and over.

Chesty Larue
01-20-2004, 03:21 AM
They'd just show Roddick's match over and over.

Roddick doesn't play that day :p If they show him on the bottom half's day they've got major, major issues!

Scotso
01-20-2004, 03:22 AM
Lleyt's on court :bounce:

Chesty Larue
01-20-2004, 03:24 AM
and he breaks for *1-0 :D

Scotso
01-20-2004, 03:24 AM
Roddick doesn't play that day :p If they show him on the bottom half's day they've got major, major issues!

Didn't we already establish that they do?

Lisbeth
01-20-2004, 03:25 AM
Looks like Ll opened with a break.

meanwhile Kucera leads Malisse 6-2. Hmmm, I hope Kucera is not good at third time lucky.

Murkofan
01-20-2004, 03:25 AM

Do you doubt it?

Trust me, ESPN will go out of its way to show Americans. They were planning on showing Brian Vahaly, for fuck's sake, until they realized they could show Roddick's match again :rolleyes: