Haas withdraws with Injury, Fish advances to Final...........SCORE: 4-1 favoring FISH [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Haas withdraws with Injury, Fish advances to Final...........SCORE: 4-1 favoring FISH

mangoes
04-16-2006, 01:30 AM
Sad :sad: Hope he gets better.........

NATAS81
04-16-2006, 01:31 AM
What a joke. Fish actually has a chance to win the final and his only title of the year at that.

GonzoFan
04-16-2006, 01:32 AM
:eek: :sad:

Get well soon, Tommy :hug:

mangoes
04-16-2006, 01:32 AM
I thought Marty was just about to cry a bit when being interviewed about reaching a final..........I think he hasn't reached one since 2004.......

Nevertheless, Andy must be pissed.......just a bit ;)

Neely
04-16-2006, 01:34 AM
Tommy :sad: a very tough break having to retire with this injury now :( :banghead:

At the same this increases Melzer's chances for whom I would be glad if he could win the final tomorrow! I hope Jürgen takes the chance tomorrow then...

and an even luckier break now for Fish who was getting two walkovers during his run in this final :lol:

atheneglaukopis
04-16-2006, 01:35 AM
Just when I thought Safin had Valencia in the bag after defeating Gaudio, he rolls his ankle and loses. Just when I thought Haas had Houston in the bag after defeating Roddick, his wrist acts up and he retires.

Get well for your third-round MC match, Tommy.

Go, Fishy.

Alexiana
04-16-2006, 01:41 AM
Just when I thought Safin had Valencia in the bag after defeating Gaudio, he rolls his ankle and loses. Just when I thought Haas had Houston in the bag after defeating Roddick, his wrist acts up and he retires.

Get well for your third-round MC match, Tommy.

Go, Fishy.

same thoughts here :sad:

Get well soon Tommy and Marat :sad:

gusman890
04-16-2006, 01:45 AM
at first, i thought the title was a joke..

now i realize that it was true and that he retired. wow...

Mardy..going for a title from an injury layoff year and 1/2. oh the wonders for his confidence.....

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 01:53 AM
Nevertheless, Andy must be pissed.......just a bit ;)Knowing him he's chilling at home and doesn't care much. Just a hunch :)

This is good for Mardy, you could tell he felt badly, having just had bad wrist problems himself. But Mardy came out to play - in the few games he served, he was serving better than I've see him serve since 2003 when he got to the top 20. So, it's too bad that Tommy got hurt and Schuettler got sick but it's Mardy's turn for a little good karma and he seemed to be well aware of that and felt really badly for Tommy.

morningglory
04-16-2006, 01:57 AM
:haha: the supreme irony of it all :haha:
Andy... :rolleyes: when was the last time Mardy went further than you in a tourney?

Alexiana
04-16-2006, 01:58 AM
Knowing him he's chilling at home and doesn't care much. Just a hunch :)

This is good for Mardy, you could tell he felt badly, having just had bad wrist problems himself. But Mardy came out to play - in the few games he served, he was serving better than I've see him serve since 2003 when he got to the top 20. So, it's too bad that Tommy got hurt and Schuettler got sick but it's Mardy's turn for a little good karma and he seemed to be well aware of that and felt really badly for Tommy.

yes, you're right he did nothing wrong, but he seems to steal the luck from Tommy ;)

Sjengster
04-16-2006, 02:02 AM
Knowing him he's chilling at home and doesn't care much. Just a hunch :)

No doubt that Fish deserves a break more than most because of his comeback from injury, but if he wins tomorrow and the record books end up saying "Mardy Fish, claycourt tournament champion", I think it should have an asterisk next to it. ;) If only because of the qualities of Schuettler and Haas on this surface, having been finalists in Monte Carlo and Rome respectively.

Havok
04-16-2006, 02:11 AM
:( Tommy. Gah that sucks, couldn't you get injured and retire last night vs Roddick :angel:? Anyways get better soon, and good lukc to Mardy in the finals tomorrow, though I see Melzer winning this in 3.

guida
04-16-2006, 02:13 AM
This really IS unbelievable.

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 02:16 AM
No doubt that Fish deserves a break more than most because of his comeback from injury, but if he wins tomorrow and the record books end up saying "Mardy Fish, claycourt tournament champion", I think it should have an asterisk next to it. ;) If only because of the qualities of Schuettler and Haas on this surface, having been finalists in Monte Carlo and Rome respectively.Yep, I don't disagree. And Spadea probably should've beaten him yesterday in straights, too.

Givenchy
04-16-2006, 02:18 AM
Tommy :sad:

Really disappointing. :( I really wanted him to take the title after beating Andy last night.

I hope he gets better soon!

prima donna
04-16-2006, 02:19 AM
The idea of Fish reaching a final is humorous in itself, but on clay, even more funny. Houston has to be one of the biggest jokes. Ever.

AgassiDomination
04-16-2006, 02:19 AM
Lucky Salmon... :p

Tennis Fool
04-16-2006, 02:38 AM
Who cares about this Mickey Mouse tournament :confused:

tangerine_dream
04-16-2006, 02:53 AM
Tommy's weird run of bad luck continues (sprained ankle, food poisioning, now this). But :haha: if Mardy wins this title then he will have deserved it. He is without a doubt the best American player "RIGHT NOW". ;) GO MARDY! :banana:

Houston has to be one of the biggest jokes. Ever.
Houston? Nah. That would be you, my dear. :kiss:

Who cares about this Mickey Mouse tournament :confused:
Obviously, you do. :D

Merton
04-16-2006, 03:01 AM
Bad luck for Haas, Mardy needed all the stars perfectly aligned to make the final on a clay tournament. He is the underdog tomorrow but he has nothing to lose and given that he faces Melzer, i would not rulle out the upset.

prima donna
04-16-2006, 03:19 AM
Tommy's weird run of bad luck continues (sprained ankle, food poisioning, now this). But :haha: if Mardy wins this title then he will have deserved it. He is without a doubt the best American player "RIGHT NOW". ;) GO MARDY! :banana:

Houston? Nah. That would be you, my dear. :kiss:

Obviously, you do. :D

Nice response, stronza.

anserq
04-16-2006, 03:29 AM
Whose fish playing in the finals?

anserq
04-16-2006, 03:30 AM
and how many friggin people are getting injured?

Sjengster
04-16-2006, 03:36 AM

Hirsute Jurgen.

OddJob
04-16-2006, 03:42 AM
Tough way to get into a final but congrats to Mardy. :)

Get well soon Tommy!

NATAS81
04-16-2006, 04:00 AM
Jürgen Melzer

BTW - I wouldn't classify a tournament featuring Roddick and Haas as Mickey Mouse. Every player gets his breaks here and there with regard to walkovers, but you still have to follow through and put an honest effort forward to come away victorious. I would be surprised if Mardy lost it in straight sets. He is playing some really compelling tennis of late. Even when he lost to Nadal at IW, he is in it until the end. Something tells me that kind of effort will be required tomorrow.

shotgun
04-16-2006, 04:05 AM
Congrats Fish. I hadn't seen a fluke run like that in quite a while.

buddyholly
04-16-2006, 04:30 AM
No doubt that Fish deserves a break more than most because of his comeback from injury, but if he wins tomorrow and the record books end up saying "Mardy Fish, claycourt tournament champion", I think it should have an asterisk next to it. ;) If only because of the qualities of Schuettler and Haas on this surface, having been finalists in Monte Carlo and Rome respectively.

If Melzer wins would you then give an asterisk to him because his opponent in the final was not favoured to get there.
A tournament winner is the last man standing. It's not his fault if others are physically unable to stay on the court.
Under your suggestion the pages of the record books would look like they were covered in little black snowflakes. We could start with Ivanisovic at Wimbledon, who only got to the final because it rained earlier. ;)

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-16-2006, 04:43 AM
What injury does he have? :mad:
It's never fair to him. :fiery:

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 04:54 AM
It was a problem with his right wrist. He got it treated at the 4-1 changeover and they told him they couldn't do much about it then so he retired. He seemed really disappointed about it and apologized to the crowd twice in his interview with Wayne Bryan afterwards.

Hopefully it's nothing serious.

TheBoiledEgg
04-16-2006, 09:37 AM
only good thing is that Mardy might get picked to play against us in Davis Cup :rolls:

Allez
04-16-2006, 09:52 AM
OH god I don't like that Fish guy at all. I hope Jurgen can finally win his first title in Houston. And to come through a field that included the likes of Roddick and Haas (even if he didn't have to play them) is impressive. I always end up jinxing my favourites so Mardy looks set to win this. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Tommy :bigcry::bigcry::bigcry: Hope you get well enough to win your first two matches in MC. :yeah:

Aleksa's Laydee
04-16-2006, 11:27 AM
MARDY!!!!!!! OH MY GOD Im so happy!!!!!!! :clap2: :bigclap: :bounce: :bolt: :yippee: :yeah: :woohoo: :bowdown: :dance: :rocker2: :rocker: :banana: :inlove: :aparty:

Lets win this, you can do it!!! :D:D:D:D

uNIVERSE mAN
04-16-2006, 12:12 PM
This Haas seems to retire when he's being pwned these days, watch for a miraculous recovery in time for Monte Carlo.

Fergie
04-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Get well soon Tommy! :hug:

cobalt60
04-16-2006, 01:34 PM
As Deb stated it was his right wrist. The commentators mentioned it even before last night's match started. He hurt it playing Roddick and had the trainer work on it prior to the match. The cmmentators also stated that when the trainer came out he told Haas there was nothing more they could do although I did not see that he had it taped at all. And let's give Fish some credit; his serve and backhand last night looked awesome.
And tennis matches have so many variables in them. Anything can happen at any given moment. So sorry for Haas and Fish have a great final.

Golfnduck
04-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Tommy :sad: :sad:
Mardy :bigclap: I'm sure he didn't want to advance to the final this way though.

mangoes
04-16-2006, 03:49 PM
only good thing is that Mardy might get picked to play against us in Davis Cup :rolls:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-16-2006, 04:05 PM
I think Fish is a suitable player to be picked in DC against Russia on clay.He isn't the worst compared with other buddies.Last time he didn't play that bad against Moya on very slow clay.

mangoes
04-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Well, Fish does seem to be better on clay than Blake, so maybe, PMac will consider Fish :shrug:

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 04:40 PM
September is a loooooooooooooooooooong way away. I'm sure Pmac is not even thinking about it right now, especially since his wife is gonna pop a baby any moment :lol:

mangoes
04-16-2006, 04:48 PM
September is a loooooooooooooooooooong way away. I'm sure Pmac is not even thinking about it right now, especially since his wife is gonna pop a baby any moment :lol:

We know Deb ;) ..........but since the glee of the Russians is quite out there and in your face, we can't help but toss around some ideas.

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 04:53 PM
I think any of those three guys - Ginepri, Blake, Fish, have the potential to put up a decent clay season, despite the fact that they've never done it before. James and Robby on paper should have decent clay games and Mardy has a big type of game and good groundies that could succeed on any surface (if Tim with his game can make the semis at RG, no reason why Mardy can't win matches on clay) and he's in much better physical condition now. So, I think any of them could have a good clay season :) So could Spadea but I think after what happened in 2004, he's basically out of contention for the team unless he really does make the top 10 or something.

mangoes
04-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Technically, you have a point, but, I'm weary of our chances. I am especially disappointed that more of them aren't playing the full clay season. I'm guessing Roddick will show up for Roma??? What about Blake and Ginepri? Then again, Ginepri can't be depended on for DC.........

tangerine_dream
04-16-2006, 05:06 PM
I think any of those three guys - Ginepri, Blake, Fish, have the potential to put up a decent clay season, despite the fact that they've never done it before. James and Robby on paper should have decent clay games and Mardy has a big type of game and good groundies that could succeed on any surface (if Tim with his game can make the semis at RG, no reason why Mardy can't win matches on clay) and he's in much better physical condition now. So, I think any of them could have a good clay season :) So could Spadea but I think after what happened in 2004, he's basically out of contention for the team unless he really does make the top 10 or something.
Mardy is better on clay than Robby and James. And he did, after all, help clinch the 2003 DC tie with Slovakia for us on foreign clay. I know that was a while ago but it's still more than any of the others have done. :lol:

Yappa
04-16-2006, 05:07 PM
MARDY!!!!!!! OH MY GOD Im so happy!!!!!!! :clap2: :bigclap: :bounce: :bolt: :yippee: :yeah: :woohoo: :bowdown: :dance: :rocker2: :rocker: :banana: :inlove: :aparty:

Lets win this, you can do it!!! :D:D:D:D

Yeah, nice reaction. :rolleyes:

TheBoiledEgg
04-16-2006, 05:11 PM
having a decent clay game has not much to do with how one does.

the sliding into the shot is what makes all the difference, and its a HUGE difference.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Yeah, nice reaction. :rolleyes:
I think she's just happy about Mardy's win,not Tommy's retire.When Momo won AO,my reaction was the same, :aparty::drink::smooch::hearts::bigclap: I posted in somewhere but WTA world though.I don't care if Justine felt not well,but I was crazy because Momo won his first slam! :crazy:

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Technically, you have a point, but, I'm weary of our chances. I am especially disappointed that more of them aren't playing the full clay season. I'm guessing Roddick will show up for Roma??? What about Blake and Ginepri? Then again, Ginepri can't be depended on for DC.........I believe they're all going to play Rome and Hamburg. Andy and Robby and the Twins are playing Dusseldorf too, for 3 guaranteed matches. I didn't say we would win, by no means. Just that it's at least *possible* that a couple of them could put up decent clay results. They're all off now for a couple weeks so we just have to see what happens when they show up in Rome. Hopefully for James, going back to Rome for the first time won't be a horrible experience for him lol.

The question for them on clay is whether they care enough to put in the work to succeed. they care about DC which is why they've played relatively well on clay in DC matches. But now they have a couple weeks off - will they put in the work to properly prepare for the clay season? For some of them I have serious doubts about that. I think they will see it as some time to goof off a little, among other things. Soooo.

Yappa
04-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Andy and Robby are planning to play in the World Team Cup? Nice. :)

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Andy and Robby are planning to play in the World Team Cup? Nice. :)Yep, and the Bryans again http://www.arag-world-team-cup.de/en/ Andy only played once before, in 2002.... when he arguably had his "best" clay season....

Carito_90
04-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Holys... :eek:

Mardy! :D

Jogy
04-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Bad luck for Tommy like many times :(

Hope Fish wins the tournament now.

rrfnpump
04-16-2006, 07:51 PM
clay court king strikes again