HOW MUCH TALENT FELICIANO LOPEZ REALLY IS?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

HOW MUCH TALENT FELICIANO LOPEZ REALLY IS??

Natuza_BR
04-15-2006, 07:21 PM
I ALWAYS THINK THAT HE HAS A GREAT GAME, NICE SERVICE AND VOLLEY... BUT HE SEEMS NOT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING BUT FOR HIS HAIR!!!! :armed:

AND I LOVE THE FACT THAT HE'S THE ONLY SPANISH WHO CAN GO WELL ON GRASS, BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT HE REALLY WANTS TO DO AND ACHIEVE PLAYING TENNIS?? :help:

ClaycourtaZzZz.
04-15-2006, 07:22 PM
He sucks.

betterthanhenman
04-15-2006, 07:22 PM
Fair amount of talent. Under-achieved to some extent so far.

anserq
04-15-2006, 07:23 PM
lol... hes amazing! :)

MariaV
04-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Wait till Deivid gets here and he'll tell you everything about LaLo's bh. :o ;)

Allez
04-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Not very much evidentally. Still enjoyed his run at Wimbledon last year depite beating one of my favourites in Marat.

revolution
04-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Deivid is going to love this.

MariaV
04-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Deivid is going to love this.
You bet! :rolls:

Action Jackson
04-15-2006, 07:30 PM
He should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute for impersonating a tennis player.

mangoes
04-15-2006, 07:32 PM
He should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute for impersonating a tennis player.

:lol: :lol: :lol: He's not "so bad" a tennis player :angel: ................but I wonder if he ever considered becoming a model :lol:

anserq
04-15-2006, 07:33 PM
hehe, are you female?
:lol: :lol: :lol: He's not so bad a tennis player :angel: ................but I wonder if he ever considered becoming a model :lol:

mangoes
04-15-2006, 07:34 PM
hehe, are you female?

Yes......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

anserq
04-15-2006, 07:34 PM
hehe awesome!! How long have you played tennis?
Yes......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

HappyAndie
04-15-2006, 10:31 PM
I <3 Feliciano. I think he actually is a very talented tennis player--and from what I have read, a swimmer as well. You're not in the Top 100 if you suck. The fact is that I think he is a bit of an underachiever, and combine that with living in the shadow of some of the other Spaniards, and it leaves little motivation to work on his game.

I think a lot of times we really lose perspective--for them, tennis is a job. And, honestly to even be in the top 300 in the world is a huge achievement. I mean, to be there out of the thousands of tennis players in the world says a lot about your talent, athleticism, work ethic, etc. We really forget how good these players are.

NaDALiTa
04-15-2006, 10:42 PM
he is very talented but he spoiled too much his time out of training court my F-Lo :lol: he just have to be more focus and more hard worker then he'll be great !!!

Sjengster
04-15-2006, 11:25 PM
Despite all the ribbing about his good looks and haircare, what he really needs to do is improve his groundstrokes, and not just the backhand either. Peter Fleming on Sky said very accurately after he lost to Canas in Paris at the end of 2004 that he does a very good impression of an attacking player, but that he flatters to deceive and his aggressive play is rather hollow and lacking in conviction when it comes to the crunch. I mean, the forehand doesn't penetrate nearly as much as it needs to given his style of play, and his returns let him down a lot against similarly big-serving players (see: his 0-5 record vs Deivid's other all-time favourite, the Chirpy Czech).

ChloeLove
04-16-2006, 01:56 AM
I think he probaby is too preoccupied from working on his tan, and hair. He certainly isn't bad looking, he isn't that bad of a tennis player either. Maybe his current ranking area is as far as he can go.

OddJob
04-16-2006, 02:48 AM
He's a talented guy but really hasen't tapped into it yet. The metal side of his game and BH need the most work. Sometimes it seems like he doesn't want it enough.

NATAS81
04-16-2006, 03:04 AM
Don't write these personal looks comments off as criticism. It comes with a purpose. Feliciano is in an era where Spanish tennis is flourishing. The reason to compete with his fellow countrymen is there. He reminds me of Verdasco in the sense that his followers know he has the talent to win against top players. The more exciting talent produced on the ATP the better. I hope he can fulfill the billing. Clay is his most favorable surface BTW, as seen at Kitzbühel last year.

Looking at some of his losses last year, he can potentially hover in the top thirty for many years to come such as Massu or Gonzalez with solid play on all surfaces.

NYCtennisfan
04-16-2006, 03:42 AM
People, people, don't hate him because he is beautiful as is his backhand.

:)

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-16-2006, 04:17 AM
I won't say he isn't talented,he just focuses on haircut,girlfriends or something else.Surely he has some weapons,left-handed,serve,fh.He troubled Ivan in first two sets! :eek: But he is not a good fighter enough.He mentally collapses after loses the edge,otherwise it's impossible to be bagelled by Ivan at the third set.

Ferrero Forever
04-16-2006, 06:10 AM
I think he's really talented (and really good looking too.) I think he's got all the weapons, but he's just taking a bit of time to make the move to top 10. But yet my opinion might just be driven on the fact that he's one of my top favourites players. I hope he breaks into the top 10 soon

Deivid23
04-16-2006, 06:42 AM
Talent?

Z E R O

Deivid23
04-16-2006, 06:45 AM
I will elaborate this ZERO:

His fh and volleys are very overrated, he will miss 8 out of 10 attempts when trying to hit a deep fh and he can miss the easiest of the volleys at any time. His returns are pretty pathetic, his court sense is inexistent, his bh is just ridiculous, even an amateur can hit it much better, he folds under pressure like a castle made of sand and his fighting spirit is not higher than NULL.

He has quite a nice serve, though, that´s the only reason why he´s not playing futures circuit

Hope that helps, mate

Jagermeister
04-16-2006, 07:01 AM
He has quite a nice serve, though, that´s the only reason why he´s not playing futures circuit

Agreed, a nice lefty serve is the best shot he has. The rest of his game can be a bit pedestrian, altho he gets into some good streaks and hits some nice shots. So I wouldn't say he's COMPLETELY untalented.

Frankly if this guy looked like Petr Korda nobody would really give a shit.

Frederick16
04-16-2006, 07:31 AM
i dont see petr korda shave all his body hair!

bournerdan
04-16-2006, 07:42 AM
Don't write these personal looks comments off as criticism. It comes with a purpose. Feliciano is in an era where Spanish tennis is flourishing. The reason to compete with his fellow countrymen is there. He reminds me of Verdasco in the sense that his followers know he has the talent to win against top players. The more exciting talent produced on the ATP the better. I hope he can fulfill the billing. Clay is his most favorable surface BTW, as seen at Kitzbühel last year.

Looking at some of his losses last year, he can potentially hover in the top thirty for many years to come such as Massu or Gonzalez with solid play on all surfaces.

I know this thread isn't about gonzo but I just gotta say that I believe Fernando Gonzalez belongs in the top ten and if he starts to get the right level of coaching in the right areas I believe it will happen, the guy has got talent to burn and once he really tapps into that the sky is the limit.

Feliciano Lopez is a puzzle to me. I have seen him play really really well. I remember a match against federer, a final I think where he took a set and really pushed Fed. I remember Fed saying afterwards how impressed he was with lopez's game. The other one was a match with pim pim, US open possibly, and Lopez served unbelievably. Trouble was that Joachim served just as well. Weird that the two times he has impressed me the most were matches that he lost but I guess he was unlucky on both occasions. Anyway, the point is, if he could play as well as he did in those two matches on a regular basis he would win more matches than he lost. But it's strange because I've seen him on other occasions when he just doesn't seem to know what he's doing out there, no real game plan, no real idea of how he needs to play in order to get the win. He is the kind of guy that I'm always reluctant to bet against or bet for even because I'm really never really sure what he is going to produce, I guess like Gonzo, although slightly less so, the potential for genuine maturity is there......

mojo37_12
04-16-2006, 07:48 AM
You're not in the Top 100 if you suck.

That's your answer right there... Everyone inside the top 100 has talent. That's why anyone inside the top 50 can win a title and beat the top players on a good day.

Deivid23
04-16-2006, 08:27 AM
He is the kind of guy that I'm always reluctant to bet against or bet for even because I'm really never really sure what he is going to produce

Exactly the opposite, LaLo is too predictable and a very easy player to bet on or against, betting puzzle on him is as unidimensional as his game

bournerdan
04-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Exactly the opposite, LaLo is too predictable and a very easy player to bet on or against, betting puzzle on him is as unidimensional as his game

well personally I think on his game he can trouble most people, and you never know when he's going to find his game, hence the reason I tend not to bet on his matches.....You obviously see it differently, which is fair enough.....

binkygirl
04-16-2006, 11:04 AM
I think he has gone as far as his talent can take him. There's just too much attention and expectations on him because he's gorgeous and if he could break into the top ten, he could make even more with endorsements just because he is so fantastically attractive. Hopefully, he'll model after he retires from tennis.

L James
04-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Lopez seems to be on the slide.

stebs
04-16-2006, 12:00 PM
My 3 year old nephew could outdo him on a backhand to backhand exchange.
His forehand is distinctly average, it just looks good in comparison with his backhand.
His serve is good but there are better serves out there as well.
His volleying skill is mediocre just like his forehand.

Frederick16
04-16-2006, 12:02 PM
every men here is jealous because he can get all the girls on earth!!

FerrersLinda
04-16-2006, 02:20 PM
every men here is jealous because he can get all the girls on earth!!

Ahem.....not me. He probably doesn't want to "get me", but technically not me so not every girl in the world. I like my men to be men. :devil:

HappyAndie
04-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Feliciano Lopez is a puzzle to me. I have seen him play really really well. I remember a match against federer, a final I think where he took a set and really pushed Fed. I remember Fed saying afterwards how impressed he was with lopez's game. The other one was a match with pim pim, US open possibly, and Lopez served unbelievably. Trouble was that Joachim served just as well. Weird that the two times he has impressed me the most were matches that he lost but I guess he was unlucky on both occasions.
As I read this, I had a thought that may explain Feli. Both occasions you describe, the ones where Feli was playing well, were both times his opponent was playing very well. I think it may be that Feliciano just tends to play on the level of his opponent(oh goodness, hopefully he won't play Donald Young any time soon :p ) Unfortunately, he doesn't have that something that he needs to compensate for poor serving, or for a lot of errors. He can step it up for somebody like Roger, or any player that is playing well, but he slacks off otherwise. Perhaps its overconfidence, maybe its nothing--just a mental thing on his part. But if you compare errors and serving, I think it becomes a noticeable trend.

propi
04-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Blah, blah, blah, blah... surprising comments here :zzz:
He's so bad that being as young as he's has already a better career than 80% of ATP.
He's pure talent for me, of course he should work on his backhand, but there's a huge difference from that to say he lacks talent :rolleyes:

s.m.
04-16-2006, 10:15 PM
he´s talented in wasting hair gel

bad gambler
04-16-2006, 10:17 PM
not much

revolution
04-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Good style, as it's unique for a Spaniard. If he is absolute rubbish, then he should be pleased with what he has achieved in the game.

Natuza_BR
04-17-2006, 08:45 PM
I think he's really talented (and really good looking too.) I think he's got all the weapons, but he's just taking a bit of time to make the move to top 10. But yet my opinion might just be driven on the fact that he's one of my top favourites players. I hope he breaks into the top 10 soon

what???
top ten???

this is too much for him! :rolleyes:

almouchie
04-17-2006, 09:43 PM
overrated is not the word but probably underacheiver
he is talented
but much like Malisse has not lived up to his potential
seems distracted at times & unsure of what to do

Deivid23
04-17-2006, 09:57 PM
:haha: at LaLo making top 10

Can´t wait for another claycourt clinic by LaLo :lol:

federated
04-18-2006, 02:05 AM
overrated is not the word but probably underacheiver
he is talented
but much like Malisse has not lived up to his potential
seems distracted at times & unsure of what to do

totally agree. I became a fan at wimbledon last year and was truly impressed with his play there. Just think he needs some serious mental help; he just cracks too easily. (Also, he needs to stay away from the skank ho's.)

It is a shame, though--his looks are divine--and I truly think that he could do what sharapova and kournikova did for the women's game (I mean in the U.S.). I mean, tennis is less popular than golf (the dullest sport on earth) and SOFTBALL in the US. That's a travesty. If Feli's golden skin, perfect abs and pretty eyes help sell the game over here, then great. Of course, more video/photos of feli are always welcome, too. :drool: