Almagro defeats Safin 6-2 2-6 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Almagro defeats Safin 6-2 2-6 6-4

Grinder
04-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Finally Nico is realizing some of his potential. Marat hurt his ankle after a break point in the third set, but he came back fine after that, Nico was pressuring him on almost every serve game, regardless.

Keep it up bro and take out Simon tomorrow.

:yeah:

http://i2.tinypic.com/vhykk9.jpg

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the bet,man! :lick:

Black Adam
It's too bad :sad: he lost 4 consecutive games :bigcry:

Alvarillo
and Marat refused to shake his hands with Nico ....

gusman890
poor marat :sad:..just coming off of injury and now another one...

nico put up a good fight though

Black Adam
04-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Bad blood between them?

FerrersLinda

:confused: What happened?

Sjengster
Any reason why? Was Almagro's celebration a little too enthusiastic given the circumstances? I can believe it, bearing in mind he does have something of an ego on court, but if not then that's rather sour grapes from Safin.

Grenouille

why?

Poor Marat! I hope Gilles Simon will win tomorrow :worship:

rofe
04-15-2006, 04:19 PM

Why? Was Safin behaving like a sore loser or was there something else? :scratch:

Frooty_Bazooty
what was with Safin refusing to shake his hand. Nico fell on the ground after he won and Marat shook the umpires hand and started getting his stuff. Meanwhile nico got up and shook the unpires hand and then went over to Safins chair and put his hand out and Marat just shook his head and didnt make eye contact and then the crowd started booing...

cecilija
bot players are pricks and sores losers

Alvarillo
04-15-2006, 04:21 PM
ok it was a great match, maybe some UEs at the end after Marat injured but he could move well so i don't expect it's serious
ok, Nico's performance this week has been amazing, i was there as a lineman and i was in his 3 matches of qualys and his second round, Almagro was close to being defeated against Meffert in Q2 and now is in the final and playing incredible tennis against top clay-court players like Ferrero, Safin or Volandri ....
it seems Nico is beginning to explode his potential, he had surgery at the end of last season in on of his knee but now is at his best
he will reach his best ranking next week
good luck tomorrow
MUCHO NICOOOOOO !!!!!!!

Action Jackson
Maybe Dani Koellerer was in the crowd, telling Safin not to shake his hand.

Pea
Wow Nico! 2-0 against Marat!:cool: COngrats!

foul_dwimmerlaik
04-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Get well for MC Marat!

Exodus
04-15-2006, 04:23 PM
What's the point Marat won't have a chance at MC when he can't even this tourny...

Black Adam
04-15-2006, 04:23 PM
what was with Safin refusing to shake his hand. Nico fell on the ground after he won and Marat shook the umpires hand and started getting his stuff. Meanwhile nico got up and shook the unpires hand and then went over to Safins chair and put his hand out and Marat just shook his head and didnt make eye contact and then the crowd started booing...
Imitating the double standards that favor Safin on MTF: :lol: typical Safin, it had to be a bad day, you just gotta luv the guy :)
Hope the Injury isn't serious because Clay Tennis is not that exciting without Safin.

s.m.
04-15-2006, 04:24 PM

that was a classic moment
marat has zero respect for that kid and his behaviour

Alvarillo
04-15-2006, 04:25 PM
:confused: What happened?

it were 2 moments of tension in the match
a) in a dropshot from Safin, Almagro reaches and the ball touchs the net and falls in Safin's court, Almagro instead of say sorry jumped like Nadal ..
b) with 5/4* in the last set 15/30, Marat hit an ace, Almagro says it's bad, Enric Molina downs to the court and say it's good, Nico begins to shout and becoming crazy ...

but i think Marat should have shaked his hands ....

s.m.
04-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Any reason why? Was Almagro's celebration a little too enthusiastic given the circumstances? I can believe it, bearing in mind he does have something of an ego on court, but if not then that's rather sour grapes from Safin.

it wasn´t that
almagro is pretty in your face type of player
he´s almost like marat, but with no class at all

Salvy41
04-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Almagro acted like a f*cking dick on court. Didn't apologise for the points he won due to the ball hitting the net, he celebrated Safin's unforced errors along with his own winners. Safin should have shaken his hand really, but I can fully understand why he didn't want to.

rosespower
04-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Marat:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Yappa
04-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Almagro acted like a f*cking dick on court. Didn't apologise for the points he won due to the ball hitting the net, he celebrated Safin's unforced errors along with his own winners. Safin should have shaken his hand really, but I can fully understand why he didn't want to.

Exactly!
I'll add Almagro to my list of "most hated ATP players". Hope, Simon kicks his ass tomorrow.

If ne1 interested, I'll upload these scenes and of course how Safin refused to shake hands. :D

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-15-2006, 04:31 PM
I don't understand why the fuck Safin didn't shake his hand with Almagro! :rolleyes: Ya maybe Almagro was too excited to cheer some points,maybe the crowd was loud,whatever.He had just a bad day.Double standard! :rolleyes:

Scotso
04-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Nice final. Hopefully Gilles can win it. :D

Leo
04-15-2006, 04:32 PM
I'd love to see them, Four:Love. :D

Alvarillo
04-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Exactly!
I'll add Almagro to my list of "most hated ATP players". Hope, Simon kicks his ass tomorrow.

If ne1 interested, I'll upload these scenes and of course how Safin refused to shake hands. :D

and you say that being fan of the most stupid player on tour, Nicolas Kiefer :p ;) :rolleyes:

Yappa
04-15-2006, 04:33 PM
I'd love to see them, Four:Love. :D

Working on it. In the meantime I'll also put up some pics in this thread. Wont take too long. :)

Raquel
04-15-2006, 04:34 PM
I was actually not too surprised Marat didn't shake hands. Almagro is pretty fiery and his reaction to winning after Marat had an injury time out was slightly OTT. He's entertaining though. He reminds me a bit of Emilio Alvarez. Does anyone remember him? (GWH, that question is mainly directed at you ;)).

Leo
04-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Thank you!

Sjengster
04-15-2006, 04:35 PM
2005 US OPEN – A USTA EVENT
NEW YORK CITY

September 2, 2005

T. DENT/N. Almagro
6-3, 6-2, 4-6, 7-5

TAYLOR DENT

Q. Weren't very self-contained on that matchpoint. Is that because you didn't want that to go to a fifth set?

TAYLOR DENT: Yeah, no, I mean, I didn't want it going to a fourth set. It was a bit disappointing losing that third set in the way that I did. But, you know, it was getting -- it was getting a little heated out there between us as well. He was saying "vamos" on a couple of my double-faults and easy misses. That fired me up a little bit more. I was pumped out there.

Q. Perfect preparation for your next match?

TAYLOR DENT: Yeah, sure. I'm ready. Bring it on (smiling).

Q. You're a substantial guy. Who are three guys you would not want to have to get into an alley fight with?

TAYLOR DENT: Alley fight, God... I don't know. See, my impression of, like, South Americans is if you fight one, you're fighting the whole clan. So South Americans are kind of off limits, I think. You just let those guys be. You're friends with those guys, "Right on. Vamos. Let's go." I'll put them into one category. Other guys are, I don't know what I would do with Dick Norman or Ivo Karlovic. I don't know. How do I go about that, you know? Right there (elbowing gesture), I don't know what to do. So those would be my three.

Yappa
and you say that being fan of the most stupid player on tour, Nicolas Kiefer :p ;) :rolleyes:

I know that Kiefer is an ass and maybe I would also hate him if he werent german, who knows. :) Kiefer isnt a pleasant player, no doubt about it!

And please dont take all seriously what I say after one of my favorite players lose. I am disappointed as hell! Almagro didnt behave very well on the court, but nobody can say that Safin was such a nice boy with all his smashing racquets etc.

Ruski
Marat!!! What the????? :mad:
I was so looking forward to see him winning his first title since coming back from injury!!! :o

s.m.
04-15-2006, 04:36 PM

i always tought kiefer was a smart player

Sjengster
04-15-2006, 04:36 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a Kiefer-Almagro match sometime, the combined amount of attitude on court would be quite a spectacle. And on clay it would be especially funny.

bellascarlett
04-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Exactly!

yes please!!!!! :angel:

anyway...fuck...just fuck :o :mad: ...rest up that ankle Marat! :awww: dont hurry into playing next week if you dont feel comfortable...

GermanBoy
04-15-2006, 04:37 PM
:rolleyes:

Leo
04-15-2006, 04:38 PM
2005 US OPEN – A USTA EVENT
NEW YORK CITY

September 2, 2005

T. DENT/N. Almagro
6-3, 6-2, 4-6, 7-5

TAYLOR DENT

Q. Weren't very self-contained on that matchpoint. Is that because you didn't want that to go to a fifth set?

TAYLOR DENT: Yeah, no, I mean, I didn't want it going to a fourth set. It was a bit disappointing losing that third set in the way that I did. But, you know, it was getting -- it was getting a little heated out there between us as well. He was saying "vamos" on a couple of my double-faults and easy misses. That fired me up a little bit more. I was pumped out there.

Q. Perfect preparation for your next match?

TAYLOR DENT: Yeah, sure. I'm ready. Bring it on (smiling).

Q. You're a substantial guy. Who are three guys you would not want to have to get into an alley fight with?

TAYLOR DENT: Alley fight, God... I don't know. See, my impression of, like, South Americans is if you fight one, you're fighting the whole clan. So South Americans are kind of off limits, I think. You just let those guys be. You're friends with those guys, "Right on. Vamos. Let's go." I'll put them into one category. Other guys are, I don't know what I would do with Dick Norman or Ivo Karlovic. I don't know. How do I go about that, you know? Right there (elbowing gesture), I don't know what to do. So those would be my three.

Thanks for posting that, Sjengster. It takes a lot to get Dent frustrated with his opponent's behavior.

But some funny stuff in there too about Ivo and Dick. :lol: Taylor interviews really well and has a great personality.

Sjengster
i always tought kiefer was a smart player

Exactly. He is extremely smart, that's the very devil of it.

Alvarillo
Nico walking to the Centre Court !

stebs
This is really ridiculous. If Hewitt had refused to shake Almagro's hand after the same circumstances everybody would be slating Hewitt but because it was Safin everyone is blaming Almagro. The point Almagro won of a let cord was a drop shot which was good enough so that it hit the net before going over, I see no need to apologise for that.

I don't actually think that was the reason for it anyway. I think that when Marat walked to the net to shake hands instead of Almagro coming to shake his hand Almagro fell to the ground in the same way Nadal did at RG last year. I think Marat would have shook hands if Almagro had gone to the net straight away.

Almagro seems to be a fiery character but Safin was out of line, he is a very disrespectful player a lot of the time.

Sjengster
04-15-2006, 04:40 PM
Thanks for posting that, Sjengster. It takes a lot to get Dent frustrated with his opponent's behavior.

But some funny stuff in there too about Ivo and Dick. :lol: Taylor interviews really well and has a great personality.

I should post the rest of the interview, basically the whole thing turned into a discussion about heated tempers on court and players having words with each other. Dent mentions how when he played Norman at Wimbledon that year, a group of three or four people in Big Dick's box were heckling him all match long and he had words with them and with Norman on the changeovers about it to let them know how he felt.

No doubt about it, Dent is one of the undiscovered interview gems on tour, he can be quite a renegade with some of his comments. I seem to remember he stuck up for Puerta near the end of last year, at least saying he was innocent until proven guilty, and he was the only non-Hispanic player to do so.

Sir_Lance
04-15-2006, 04:41 PM
I think Marat was perfectly entitled not to shake the other guys hand at the end. Firstly Almagro played like a spoilt prat. As already noted his actions which upset Safin you can also add his over the top celebration of getting the break back which was the first point Safin played since his injury.

I dont understand the need for players to shake hands if they dont want to. Shaking hands is a recognition of a good match, an acknowledgement of a good sporting match. If one guy thinks the others been a complete twat I see no reason to shake their hand.

Scotso
yeah, stebs, Safin isn't an angel, that's for sure.

Kiara
I like Almagro, he's gritty and has attitude, but that was an ugly, desperate win from him and wish it hadnt come at the cost of Marat's ankle :sad:

expect a colourful press conference from Marat :D

gosh he's like the Sharapova of the ATP..win at all costs :D

eitherway, Allez Gilles :bounce:

Grinder
04-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Geez, if this was Roddick or Hewitt, we wouldn't be hearing the end of this. Apparently Safin is beyond reproach on here.

Sjengster
04-15-2006, 04:43 PM
This is really ridiculous. If Hewitt had refused to shake Almagro's hand after the same circumstances everybody would be slating Hewitt but because it was Safin everyone is blaming Almagro. The point Almagro won of a let cord was a drop shot which was good enough so that it hit the net before going over, I see no need to apologise for that.

I don't actually think that was the reason for it anyway. I think that when Marat walked to the net to shake hands instead of Almagro coming to shake his hand Almagro fell to the ground in the same way Nadal did at RG last year. I think Marat would have shook hands if Almagro had gone to the net straight away.

Almagro seems to be a fiery character but Safin was out of line, he is a very disrespectful player a lot of the time.

I think both deserve their share of criticism, Almagro was OTT and Safin was certainly petty. He seems to have a knack of alienating Spanish crowds which is ironic considering his upbringing - when he played Acasuso last year in Barcelona I think he called him an S.O.B. in Spanish after the latter won a point, and both of them knew it was a joke and smiled about it, but the crowd heard it and were none too pleased.

Kiara
04-15-2006, 04:43 PM
TAYLOR DENT: Alley fight, God... I don't know. See, my impression of, like, South Americans is if you fight one, you're fighting the whole clan. So South Americans are kind of off limits, I think. You just let those guys be. You're friends with those guys, "Right on. Vamos. Let's go."

:lol: thanks for posting that

BaselineSmash
04-15-2006, 04:44 PM
b) with 5/4* in the last set 15/30, Marat hit an ace, Almagro says it's bad, Enric Molina downs to the court and say it's good, Nico begins to shout and becoming crazy ...

Yes, I'd point out that moment as having been the one that exhausted Safin's patience with Almagro.

But Safin should still have shaken hands with the Spaniard, who on the whole only acted the part of the over-excited underdog and didn't do anything that exceeded the Russian's worst behaviour of past matches.

stebs
04-15-2006, 04:46 PM
I think both deserve their share of criticism, Almagro was OTT and Safin was certainly petty. He seems to have a knack of alienating Spanish crowds which is ironic considering his upbringing - when he played Acasuso last year in Barcelona I think he called him an S.O.B. in Spanish after the latter won a point, and both of them knew it was a joke and smiled about it, but the crowd heard it and were none too pleased.

The only thing I would criticise Almagro for doing is yelling at the umpire about the ace at 15-30 in the last game of the match. Other than that he did nothing which players who like to pump themselves up don't do every match.

mickymouse
04-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Safin has refused to shake the umpire's hand before but I think this is the first time he's refused to shake an opponent's hand. He may throw his rackets on the court and is capable of being rather rude to umpires but I don't remember him being this petty toward a player.

Jennay
04-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Marat :sad: :hug: Get well soon, please. :scared:

Almagro :yeah:
Geez, if this was Roddick or Hewitt, we wouldn't be hearing the end of this. Apparently Safin is beyond reproach on here.
I know, right? :rolleyes:

s.m.
04-15-2006, 04:52 PM
i read this as a lack of that basic respect from fellow tennis professional
safin dosen´t have any resepect for almagro as a fair player, or as a person

CooCooCachoo
04-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Yay!

Action Jackson
04-15-2006, 04:53 PM
I was actually not too surprised Marat didn't shake hands. Almagro is pretty fiery and his reaction to winning after Marat had an injury time out was slightly OTT. He's entertaining though. He reminds me a bit of Emilio Alvarez. Does anyone remember him? (GWH, that question is mainly directed at you ;)).

In what way does he remind you of Alvarez? He doesn't possess that kind of feel around the net.

Almagro is the "Superstar" or the Poor Mans Gonzalez. He is entertaining in his own way.

As for the refusal, well shake the guys hand after the match, no matter how much of a wanker that Marat might think he is.

joeb_uk
04-15-2006, 04:54 PM

Almagro was trying to cheat, he questioned a serve that was in and outlined a mark which was in! He then started screaming like a little bitch when the umpire came down and said it was in. I guess thats the reason :shrug: But I didnt see the full match, maybe something else happened?

amon84
04-15-2006, 04:55 PM
I think Marat is a very straightforward guy. When he doesn't like something he says it! In his interviews, he says many times that he hates hypocrisy...
Marat doesn't seem to appreciate Almagro, not because he beat him twice, but because he doesn't like his attitude on court (and perhaps out of courts...). When Marat respects the player that beat him he doesn't stop congratulating the opponent in press conferences.
I think he would have felt hypocritical to shake his hand whereas it doesn't mean anything to him!I do understand Marat's behaviour.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-15-2006, 04:56 PM

Post of day. :worship:

The Daviator
04-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Marat :smash: This should have been your title :o

I don't like this Almagro :fiery:

s.m.
04-15-2006, 04:58 PM
interesting thing is that crowd cheered safin, safin when marat was hurting
10 minutes later, they were booing him badly

*Ljubica*
04-15-2006, 04:58 PM
Marat should have shaken hands - no doubt - but can't deny that that if I was a man playing Almagro I would probably have punched him :devil: He's a kind of Spanish Andy Murray and i can't stand him either!!!! I personally thought the thing that really pissed Marat off most of all, was that on two occasions Almagro questioned calls - and even when Marat circled the marks to show that they were out, Almagro still demanded that the Umpire came down to check. Most players seem to have a code of ethics between them, where they respect their opponents' decisions and only call the Umpire when it's really close or the opponent can't see clearly - and I think Marat thought Almagro was showing him a lack of professional respect.

Yappa
04-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Almagro wins:
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3043/won0nt.th.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=won0nt.jpg)

Shake hands?
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8560/shakehands17qw.th.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shakehands17qw.jpg)

Nope, Marat doesnt feel like it.
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6975/shakehands21wv.th.jpg (http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shakehands21wv.jpg)

amon84
04-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Most players seem to have a code of ethics between them, where they respect their opponents' decisions and only call the Umpire when it's really close or the opponent can't see clearly - and I think Marat thought Almagro was showing him a lack of professional respect.

Totally agree with that!

s.m.
04-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Almagro wins:
[img=http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3043/won0nt.th.jpg] (http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=won0nt.jpg)

Shake hands?
[img=http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8560/shakehands17qw.th.jpg] (http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shakehands17qw.jpg)

[img=http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6975/shakehands21wv.th.jpg] (http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shakehands21wv.jpg)

Raquel
04-15-2006, 05:01 PM
In what way does he remind you of Alvarez? He doesn't possess that kind of feel around the net.

Almagro is the "Superstar" or the Poor Mans Gonzalez. He is entertaining in his own way.

He reminds of Alvarez just with some of the mannerisms and the showboating. A couple of times he could have thrown up a defensive lob but went for the through the legs shot, and just some of the reactions to the crowd. Alvarez was fun to watch. He had the talent to win more but was maybe too concerned with giving the crowd entertainment.

Speaking of Almagro the Superstar, how about that huge number 1 he had on a chain round his neck? I remember reading he does think of himself as a bit of a star.

Action Jackson
04-15-2006, 05:04 PM
He reminds of Alvarez just with some of the mannerisms and the showboating. A couple of times he could have thrown up a defensive lob but went for the through the legs shot, and just some of the reactions to the crowd. Alvarez was fun to watch. He had the talent to win more but was maybe too concerned with giving the crowd entertainment.

Speaking of Almagro the Superstar, how about that huge number 1 he had on a chain round his neck? I remember reading he does think of himself as a bit of a star.

Alvarez had his moments, but one thing in an Almagro match, there will be some form of antics on show.

The Koellerer vs Almagro match should have been on TV and I can see these 2 clowns on the court wanting to go. I mean he isn't "The Superstar" for nothing.

propi
04-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Congrats Nicolás :bounce::bounce:
Let's hope he can win it all tomorrow :D

stebs
04-15-2006, 05:05 PM
I think Marat is a very straightforward guy. When he doesn't like something he says it! In his interviews, he says many times that he hates hypocrisy...
Marat doesn't seem to appreciate Almagro, not because he beat him twice, but because he doesn't like his attitude on court (and perhaps out of courts...). When Marat respects the player that beat him he doesn't stop congratulating the opponent in press conferences.
I think he would have felt hypocritical to shake his hand whereas it doesn't mean anything to him!I do understand Marat's behaviour.
So if I don't particularly like someone I should act in a rude manner towards them? No, that's not how it works in life and certainly not in proffesional sport. I think Marat gets far too much credit for being a "straightforward guy" just because he can be funny and he plays exciting tennis. Kiefer is also a "straightforward guy" but people don't say that, they say he's an asshole. I'm bot saying I don't like Safin but I don't think you can say that Safin shouldn't be criticised just because it is in his nature to be rude.

Raquel
04-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Congrats Nicolás :bounce::bounce:
Let's hope he can win it all tomorrow :D
propi :wavey: How are you on the day Conchi retires? :sad:

stebs
04-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Another thing, maybe it wasnt at such a critical time but Safin also questioned a call on his serve when it was out and he thought different. Safin had the umpire check, the umpire checked and decided he was right and it was out and then when the umpire had sat down Marat went and checked himself. He didn't shout and scream like Almagro had but I really get the impression that most members of MTF just want to imagine everything must've been Almagro's fault and that Marat behaved like anyone would and it wasn't his fault. I disagree.

joeb_uk
04-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Here is almagro arguing with the umpire :D Trying to make out it was another mark!! Or the mark he is pointing at is out :lol: hard to see with the shadow.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/9510/almaggot8hq.jpg

joeb_uk
04-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Almagro wins:
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3043/won0nt.th.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=won0nt.jpg)

Shake hands?
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8560/shakehands17qw.th.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shakehands17qw.jpg)

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6975/shakehands21wv.th.jpg (http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shakehands21wv.jpg)

Damn eurosport, get rid of that fucking ticker tape! It sucks, they squeeze the video so badly in order to add that ticker too :mad: Their picture quality sucks anyway without the ticker, but with that it sucks even more :mad:

oneandonlyhsn
04-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Nico :bounce: keep it up bro and win the title :rocker2:

Safin :sad:

amon84
04-15-2006, 05:19 PM
So if I don't particularly like someone I should act in a rude manner towards them? No, that's not how it works in life and certainly not in proffesional sport. I think Marat gets far too much credit for being a "straightforward guy" just because he can be funny and he plays exciting tennis. Kiefer is also a "straightforward guy" but people don't say that, they say he's an asshole. I'm bot saying I don't like Safin but I don't think you can say that Safin shouldn't be criticised just because it is in his nature to be rude.

Everybody has the right to have his or her opinions! I am a fan of Marat for some years now. I try to see as many matches as possible! I read all the interviews I found (and I also translate them to French). So I think I can say some things about Marat. It's the first time I hear that Marat refused to shake hands with the opponent...So I could ask the reason why. I didn't say that Marat was right! I said that I understood his behaviour, which is not the same thing! But Marat is Marat! I don't know Marat personnally of course, but I read many interviews, articles...I can say that Marat is not rude usually!Yes Marat plays exciting tennis! And yes, he IS funny.So it's not because he made that mistake that I am going to "lynch" him and forget all his positive aspects!

NYCtennisfan
04-15-2006, 05:22 PM

LMAO!!

NYCtennisfan
04-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Excellent win and an excellent week for the young Almagro. Yes, the kid can be in your face, but to compare him with Kiefer is stretching it. He is not even close to Kiefer. He is in his home country, he is beating a great player, and he is reaching is first final.

Now, I didn't see any of this, but from descriptions, Almagro didn't do anything that was so ludicrously out of bounds that would deserve a refusal of the handshake. Maybe I am wrong, but nobody has yet posted anything that would warrant a refusal of the hand.

Ah,..Marat. He could publicly beat a ballboy with his racquet and MTF would say the kid deserved it. :)

mer
04-15-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm bot saying I don't like Safin but I don't think you can say that Safin shouldn't be criticised just because it is in his nature to be rude.

But it's not true saying that it's in his nature to be rude. He smashes rackets and argues with umps but he always shows respest for the opponetnts. He's not the type of the player who fights and acts on the courts like it's real war. He wouldn't celebrate his win like Almagro did if his opponent was hurt.
Marat showed that he doesn't respect Almagro's behaviour and he had a good reason for it. Though it would have been better of course if he had shaked hands.
I wonder, in real life would you shake hands with someone who has just showed quite offensive behavior towards you, only because it's a social norm to shake hands?

amon84
04-15-2006, 05:33 PM
But it's not true saying that it's in his nature to be rude. He smashes rackets and argues with umps but he always shows respest for the opponetnts. He's not the type of the player who fights and acts on the courts like it's real war. He wouldn't celebrate his win like Almagro did if his opponent was hurt.

True! :worship:

Yappa
04-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Damn eurosport, get rid of that fucking ticker tape! It sucks, they squeeze the video so badly in order to add that ticker too :mad: Their picture quality sucks anyway without the ticker, but with that it sucks even more :mad:

True, its annoying. I have hope that they'll at least get rid of it once a german version of ES 2 is out. Yeah I know, wouldnt help you.

Heres the vid for the scene wich led to Marats injury/medical timeout.

http://rapidshare.de/files/18078533/ouch.avi.html

And heres the mp rally with Safin refusing to shake hands, Safin leaving and the spectators booing.

http://rapidshare.de/files/18079324/mp_hands_booing.avi.html

Coming up:

maybe the main reason why Safin was upset: the let ball.

Vass
04-15-2006, 05:34 PM
yeah, stebs, Safin isn't an angel, that's for sure.
You should meet him or observe it from up-close for some time... You'll change your opinion... ;)

stebs
04-15-2006, 05:35 PM
But it's not true saying that it's in his nature to be rude. He smashes rackets and argues with umps but he always shows respest for the opponetnts. He's not the type of the player who fights and acts on the courts like it's real war.

No, I didn't say it was in his nature to be rude, I was just saying that if it was it would be no excuse.

He wouldn't celebrate his win like Almagro did if his opponent was hurt.

Marat may have lost because of broken rythm which stemmed from him being hurt and needing a medical timeout but I watched the match and Safin was barely impaired at all for the end of the match, he was moving fine.

I wonder, in real life would you shake hands with someone who has just showed quite offensive behavior towards you, only because it's a social norm to shake hands?

I don't think Almagro was offensive to Safin. Anyway, that's neither here nor there. Yes, Safin should've shaken hands with Almagro even if he thought the behaviour was offensive.

case
04-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Marat isn't always a jerk. He was VERY charming after he beat Gasquet in dc. Or maybe he just found Gasquet irrestible to the touch!

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=86256&stc=1

tangerine_dream
04-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Ah,..Marat. He could publicly beat a ballboy with his racquet and MTF would say the kid deserved it. :)
:lol: Marat, for some reason, gets MTF's Get Out of Jail Free pass, always. Everybody else gets a speeding ticket.

Four:Love I would be very interested to see this video too. :)

Kiara
04-15-2006, 05:42 PM

:lol:

Vass
04-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Marat should have shaken hands - no doubt - but can't deny that that if I was a man playing Almagro I would probably have punched him :devil: He's a kind of Spanish Andy Murray and i can't stand him either!!!! I personally thought the thing that really pissed Marat off most of all, was that on two occasions Almagro questioned calls - and even when Marat circled the marks to show that they were out, Almagro still demanded that the Umpire came down to check. Most players seem to have a code of ethics between them, where they respect their opponents' decisions and only call the Umpire when it's really close or the opponent can't see clearly - and I think Marat thought Almagro was showing him a lack of professional respect.
:worship: :worship:
It's an insult for Marat, because even if the ball is wrongly called out in his favour he always calls the umpire to correct it. Even those calls which the opponent doesn't challenge. He did this in yesterdays match, for example.

Natasha2005
04-15-2006, 05:46 PM
FOR THOSE DEFENDING ALs QUESTIONABLE CONDUCT ON COURT I WANNA HEAR YOUR OPINION AFTER HE PLAYS ONE OF YOUR FAV PLAYERS

amon84
04-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks Four:Love for the vid.

I didn't see the match but thanks to you I saw Marat refusing to shake hands and he definitely should have done it! He seemed really pissed off and it's difficult to say anything when you didn't see the whole match! But anyway, he should have done it!

mer
:worship: :worship:
It's an insult for Marat, because even if the ball is wrongly called out in his favour he always calls the umpire to correct it. Even those calls which the opponent doesn't challenge. He did this in yesterdays match, for example.

and in match against Andreev according to reports.

Yappa
:lol: Marat, for some reason, gets MTF's Get Out of Jail Free pass, always. Everybody else gets a speeding ticket.

Four:Love I would be very interested to see this video too. :)

You mean the whole match or the scene I was talking about?

Bubba08
04-15-2006, 05:48 PM
:eek:

Almagro :clap2:

s.m.
04-15-2006, 05:55 PM

what is so rude in not giving the respect, which other person didn´t give to you
safin did to almagro what almagro done to him trough the match
safin gave almagro a dose of his own medicine, but in a different package

amierin
04-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan
Ah,..Marat. He could publicly beat a ballboy with his racquet and MTF would say the kid deserved it.

I spit my food out on that one!

No excuse for Marat's behavior today.

Fed=ATPTourkilla
04-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Look, if Safin refused to shake Almagro's hand, it's obviously Almagro's fault. Marat can do no wrong!

Broomie
04-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Here is what Eurosport had to say about the end of the match:

Almagro manufactured two break points in the eighth game and took full advantage after Safin twisted his ankle to break back and level the set at four games each.

With the Russian former world number one unable to move freely, Almagro held his serve and then broke the Russian's to secure his place in the final.

Safin refused to shake Almagro's hand at the end of what had been a fiercely-contested and often bad-tempered match.

I don't think they are Safin's fans, so why would they lie? The injury DID matter, and the temper in the match WAS bad.
Marat should have shaken hands, but it's not like he insulted him. So i'm not going to be crazy about it. Wrong behaviour, period.

s.m.
04-15-2006, 06:00 PM
He's not the type of the player who fights and acts on the courts like it's real war. He wouldn't celebrate his win like Almagro did if his opponent was hurt.
Marat showed that he doesn't respect Almagro's behaviour and he had a good reason for it

i agree with this
people are mixing apple with oranges
safin getting mad and throwing racquet is the same as almagro´s lack of fairness
i don´t think so

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-15-2006, 06:03 PM
It's almost everything is Almagro's fault in here,it's not that fair, :sad: and I need to see more to judge,would appreciate for someone giving me the whole match via bt. :)

s.m.
FOR THOSE DEFENDING ALs QUESTIONABLE CONDUCT ON COURT I WANNA HEAR YOUR OPINION AFTER HE PLAYS ONE OF YOUR FAV PLAYERS

if my favourite player acted like almagro i would cheer for marat to deck him on the floor :devil:

BelgianWaffle
:lol:

Marat has his principles, that's for sure.. :tape:

Vass
04-15-2006, 06:04 PM
I don't think Almagro was offensive to Safin. Anyway, that's neither here nor there. Yes, Safin should've shaken hands with Almagro even if he thought the behaviour was offensive.

Marat would NEVER shake hands with somebody whom he does not respect. You can judge him for that.
Marat seems to have a very strong sense of honour, etc.. And he gives immense importance to his handshakes... He also doesn't give meaningless handshakes.

Well... Somehow i sense that he'd never hit a ballkid. Never... Wouldn't even think about it for a second...
There are some players who sometimes look like they want to kill ballboys/linespeople. You even know that if they could, they would... With Marat it's totally different.

Vass
04-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Sounds like Marat could have given him a quick 'five' at least. :( That doesn't even require eye-contact.

But it's all confusing. Totally depends on what the atmosphere was like in the end of the match...

Yappa
04-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Ok heres the newest video. It has two scenes and these could be the main reasons why Safin refused to shake hands. Firstly Almagros let ball and secondly Safins Ace which was out according to Almagro.

http://rapidshare.de/files/18081677/let_ball_and_safin_ace.avi.html

The "older" vids:

The vid for the scene wich led to Marats injury/medical timeout.

http://rapidshare.de/files/18078533/ouch.avi.html

The mp rally with Safin refusing to shake hands, Safin leaving and the spectators booing.

[http://rapidshare.de/files/18079324/mp_hands_booing.avi.html

Thats all. :)

EDIT:

Updated the links.

Broomie
04-15-2006, 06:07 PM
You also have to take into account that he twisted his ankle at the end of the match, so obviously people may think more about that, than the handshake. Comparatively, the fact that he's healthy is more important.

Chloe le Bopper
04-15-2006, 06:11 PM
LOL @ all the excuses for Marat being a sore loser :lol:

DhammaTiger
04-15-2006, 06:14 PM

Stebs very well said.

Congratulations nico :hatoff: and buenas suerte in the final :yeah:

amon84
04-15-2006, 06:16 PM
LOL @ all the excuses for Marat being a sore loser

Marat is not a sore loser. Marat lost so many times against players he should have won and he never did that before otherwise we would have heard it so it shows that he is NOT a sore loser!

gsm
04-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Geez, if this was Roddick or Hewitt, we wouldn't be hearing the end of this.Apparently Safin is beyond reproach on here.
yes it does seem many posters who i have seen lambast certain other players behaviour are willing to turn a blind eye to "no hand shake" marat.

amon84
04-15-2006, 06:30 PM
yes it does seem many posters who i have seen lambast certain other players behaviour are willing to turn a blind eye to "no hand shake" marat.
Hey, it's just that we can't resist to Marat's charm ;)

foul_dwimmerlaik
04-15-2006, 06:32 PM
LOL @ all the excuses for Marat being a sore loser :lol:
Nonsense. Almagro was entitled to act like he did throughout the match, Marat was entitled to let him know what he thought of his behaviour. He doesn't need any excuses.

amon84
04-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Now I hope Simon will beat Almagro for 2 reasons:

Because he beat Marat and I didn't like what I heard about his attitude on court

Because I am French.

Allez Gilles Simon! :yeah:

Black Adam
04-15-2006, 06:41 PM
;) add Kiefer, Coria or Murray to that list.

lau
04-15-2006, 06:43 PM
I don´t know how accuratte is it, but some articles in Spanish say that Marat ended the match with a fever of 39,5 ºC and he didn´t do the post match press conference for medical advice :sad:

http://www.lacronica.com/edicionenlinea/notas/deportes/20060415/118520.asp

http://www.cooperativa.cl/p4_noticias/site/artic/20060415/pags/20060415131044.html

mer
04-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Nonsense. Almagro was entitled to act like he did throughout the match, Marat was entitled to let him know what he thought of his behaviour. He doesn't need any excuses.

pretty good summs it up

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Ok heres the newest video. It has two scenes and these could be the main reasons why Safin refused to shake hands. Firstly Almagros let ball and secondly Safins Ace which was out according to Almagro.

http://rapidshare.de/files/18081677/let_ball_and_safin_ace.avi.html

Thank you so much! :worship:
I just saw this video,I accept Almagro's behaviour,of course he should perform better.The first "come on",even if it didn't let,he probably would win because it's too hard to chase and play the good position,he was so excited to pump his fist,yeah it's very intense, :eek: but he didn't yell towards him.About "the ace",he wasn't too overacted,(maybe I saw many really overacted actions before!)he was dissatisfied but he didn't argue too long.But he should control his temper,esp he screamed "......kick your ass!!!" :shout:

mer
04-15-2006, 06:48 PM
I don´t know how accuratte is it, but some articles in Spanish say that Marat ended the match with a fever of 39,5 ºC and he didn´t do the post match press conference for medical advice :sad:

Same info on official site. He played with a fever.
Lucky guy. :(

foul_dwimmerlaik
04-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Same info on official site. He played with a fever.
Lucky guy. :(
:hug: Marat

robinhood
04-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Marat.....
I knew he was winning too much.

Now come back strong in MC!

Chloe le Bopper
04-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Marat is not a sore loser. Marat lost so many times against players he should have won and he never did that before otherwise we would have heard it so it shows that he is NOT a sore loser!

Errrrrrrr, try again!

His actions in this particular senario, which would be the topic of discussion, shows him to be a sore loser at the time in question.

Regardless of how much your opponent annoyed you, it is poor form not to shake at the end of a match.

This lesson in Sportsmanship 101 was brought to you by Chloe le Bopper.

sonia
04-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Marat :awww:
Congrats Nico ;)

Chloe le Bopper
04-15-2006, 07:00 PM
At the risk of being a broken record here:

No matter how much your opponent annoys you, it's poor form not to shake at the end of the match. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but seeing as Almagro didn't spit on Safin, nor did he spit in Safin's friend-box, I think it's safe to say that that line wasn't crossed.

There are other ways to show your displeasure with an opponents behaviour - having a short word with them while shaking at the end, for example.

But don't let that stop y'all from make more excuses for Safin's petty behaviour. I can't wait until next time Coria or Hewitt does something petty so that I can see how many of you are singing another tune :angel:

Sjengster
04-15-2006, 07:04 PM
It's true, I think the word at the handshake would have been the best way of doing it. Like when Gaudio smiled at the limping Coria after their Hamburg match and told him casually as he moved to shake the umpire's hand, "You are a ghost."

mer
04-15-2006, 07:15 PM
But don't let that stop y'all from make more excuses for Safin's petty behaviour. I can't wait until next time Coria or Hewitt does something petty so that I can see how many of you are singing another tune :angel:

I can talk only for myself but I've never and would never critisize any player for refusing to shake hands if the players has a reason for that. And in general I don't understand the bashing of players on mtf for any real or sometimes even imagined minor faults. They always seem do to anything wrong or god forbid say something wrong. We often don't know all the details of the accidents, we don't know the context of the words being said, we are no saints ourselves but we always jump to conclusions. They are tennis players, they are humans and no angels of course, they are not some diplomats, and they usually don't do anything really bad and they don't deserve the bashing they get here.
I'm not saying it because i'm Safin fan, I feel the same for all the players, and for most critizised ones here in the first place.

Yappa
04-15-2006, 07:18 PM
I can talk only for myself but I've never and would never critisize any player for refusing to shake hands if the players has a reason for that. And in general I don't understand the bashing of players on mtf for any real or sometimes even imagined minor faults. They always seem do to anything wrong or god forbid say something wrong. We often don't know all the details of the accidents, we don't know the context of the words being said, we are no saints ourselves but we always jump to conclusions. They are tennis players, they are humans and no angels of course, they are not some diplomats, and they usually don't do anything really bad and they don't deserve the bashing they get here.
I'm not saying it because i'm Safin fan, I feel the same for all the players, and for most critizised ones here in the first place.

Its all about emotions. Nobody likes to see his favorite player lose against someone else. :)

Vass
04-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Safin does 'things' only in few of his matches. Unlike some people... His 'doings' are controversial. Not sure about Coria's...

foul_dwimmerlaik
04-15-2006, 07:33 PM
No matter how much your opponent annoys you, it's poor form not to shake at the end of the match. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but seeing as Almagro didn't spit on Safin, nor did he spit in Safin's friend-box, I think it's safe to say that that line wasn't crossed.
It's the first time I know of that Safin didn't shake his opponent's hand. He never did it with Hewitt, he never did it with Kiefer or Coria, or Stepanek or... you get the picture. Obviously he thought that Almagro *had* crossed the line somewhere. And he had the perfect right to express his opinion in any way he saw fit, as long as he didn't break the rules. Just as Almagro had the right to did whatever on the same condition. That doesn't demand excuses.

There are other ways to show your displeasure with an opponents behaviour - having a short word with them while shaking at the end, for example.
He probably didn't feel like talking at the moment.

mer
04-15-2006, 07:39 PM
It's true, I think the word at the handshake would have been the best way of doing it. Like when Gaudio smiled at the limping Coria after their Hamburg match and told him casually as he moved to shake the umpire's hand, "You are a ghost."

It looks llike hypocrisy. You should shake hands even if you don't respect the guy only because it's considered the only right thing to do but you can say something to him to show your disrespect. What's the difference? You can show what you think about opponents behaivoir either by telling him so or by simply not shaking hands. I don't think the latter is worse.

shotgun
04-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Marat shouldn't have refused the handshake. As for Almagro, it's not like he has a clean sheet and expect this kind of thing to happen many more times in his career in the future.

Lee
04-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Once again, Safin can't do anything wrong. And re-enforce the double standard in MTF. :shrug:

Lee
04-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Without the incident, I doubt this thread will have over 100 replies :lol:

Tennis Fool
04-15-2006, 07:46 PM
For some reason I thought Safin would punish Gaudio then lose to Almagro. Maybe because he was expected to win :shrug:

Vass
04-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Before judging people should take into account Safin's character. He just doesn't keep people who don't respect him around... He just doesn't. And if you want to shake Safin's hand in the end of the match you have to behave. With his look Safin makes this clear...
Not shaking Marat's hand was Almagro's choice. He'd rather jump around and scream (his "#1" pendant dangling around his neck) than shake hands with safin in the end of the match.

Action Jackson
04-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Marat shouldn't have refused the handshake. As for Almagro, it's not like he has a clean sheet and expect this kind of thing to happen many more times in his career in the future.

Are you watching Dani Koellerer :)

Vass
04-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Once again, Safin can't do anything wrong. And re-enforce the double standard in MTF. :shrug:
The fiercest Safin defenders in this thread HARDLY EVER appear in GM and judge other players. Where's the double standard??

And others... Yes they might have judged Hewitt, Coria, Roddick in the past. But they aren't defending MArat now. Now they are complaining about Almagro who didn't behave well...

Castafiore
04-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Some of you are vilifying Almagro. Why? I mean, I can understand that some of you are defending Safin - the guy's charm has a strong effect on many MTF posters - but do you really need to make the other guy to be the bad guy just to make Marat look like the good guy?

What did Almagro do to justify this? He was perhaps not a perfect gentlemen on court but was his behaviour such that it is justified 'being punched' - like Rosie suggested she would do if she was a man and had to play against him?

Before judging people should take into account Safin's character. He just doesn't keep people who don't respect him around...He just doesn't. And if you want to shake Safin's hand in the end of the match you have to behave. With his look Safin makes this clear...

You have to behave if you want to have the honor of receiving the handshake of mister Marat Safin? Are you kidding or are you serious?

It's just a handshake! Safin did not have to marry the guy, he just had to shake hands.
You're creating this big fairytale around this to make Safin a grand figure and Almagro just an uncivilized creature.
Not shaking Marat's hand was Almagro's choice.
Yeah, right.

He'd rather jump around and scream (his "#1" pendant tangling around his neck) than shake hands with safin in the end of the match.
So, that's Almagro's big crime? He jumps around, screams (and could you explain why this is so wrong?) and therefor, he does not deserve the grand honor of shaking mister Safin's hand?

mer
04-15-2006, 07:52 PM
btw if he had fever 39,5 by the end of this match (like reported) he probably didn't even think clearly. ;) Now I admit that was really an excuse! :lol:

shotgun
04-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Are you watching Dani Koellerer :)

The Crazy Dani show is taking a break and will come back stronger than ever in September. :p

Deivid23
Almagro was, is and will always be a prick in and out of court. Marat won´t be the last one that refuses to shake hands with him at the end of the match, be sure. But anyway it was another good performance by Mucho and he will win his first ATP title tomorrow, a lot more to come bc he´s one hell of a player on clay courts, pity he´s such an asshole :o

Allez
Now Almagro has the perfect reason NOT to shake Marat's hand when they meet again. I 'll bet if he won again against Marat and then ran straight to the umpire and not even looked at Marat's direction all those defending Safin here would be singing a different tune. I'm a fan of Marat, but what he did was simply wrong. Where does it stop ? Why have the handshake after a match at all ? The fact is that Marat was outplayed today. That alone should be reason enough to shake the other guy's hand even if Almagro behaves like an idiot. How would Marat feel if players stopped shaking HIS hand because of HIS behaviour ?

mer
04-15-2006, 07:54 PM
The fiercest Safin defenders in this thread HARDLY EVER appear in GM and judge other players.

And that's is true. Safin fans seem to show more tolerance usually.

Deivid23
04-15-2006, 07:54 PM
The fact is that Marat was outplayed today.

Stop drinking :retard:

Action Jackson
04-15-2006, 07:56 PM
The Crazy Dani show is taking a break and will come back stronger than ever in September. :p

Yes, but he is probably thinking that Almagro arsehole and the MC preview is up.

Allez
04-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Stop drinking :retard:

Oops sorry, I hadn't realised he won the match :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ...

foul_dwimmerlaik
04-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Some of you are vilifying Almagro. Why? I mean, I can understand that some of you are defending Safin - the guy's charm has a strong effect on many MTF posters - but do you really need to make the other guy to be the bad guy just to make Marat look like the good guy?
Because people are emotional beings. Almagro won, and whatever he did was within his rights and within the rules (although I did feel like throttling him at this point at i think 15-30 in the third). I doubt that his goal in life is to endear himself to a bunch of internet loudmouthes.

foul_dwimmerlaik
04-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Why have the handshake after a match at all ?
A very good quiestion.

shotgun
04-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Yes, but he is probably thinking that Almagro arsehole and the MC preview is up.

Yes, he is probably sitting somewhere right now with a smile on his face. :lol:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

MariaV
04-15-2006, 08:58 PM

http://www.lacronica.com/edicionenlinea/notas/deportes/20060415/118520.asp

http://www.cooperativa.cl/p4_noticias/site/artic/20060415/pags/20060415131044.html
OMG OMG really!!!!!!!! He shouldn't have played at all then!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
And what's wrong with him? Flu? Some infection?
Hope his ankle isn't too bad.

Whistleway
04-15-2006, 09:10 PM
truly, safin is a classy guy. i don't give a damn if he doesn't shake with that guy. he must have a good reason not to do so..

soraya
04-15-2006, 09:19 PM
I think Marat was perfectly entitled not to shake the other guys hand at the end. Firstly Almagro played like a spoilt prat. As already noted his actions which upset Safin you can also add his over the top celebration of getting the break back which was the first point Safin played since his injury.

I dont understand the need for players to shake hands if they dont want to. Shaking hands is a recognition of a good match, an acknowledgement of a good sporting match. If one guy thinks the others been a complete twat I see no reason to shake their hand.

I am one of those who have a soft spot for Marat, however it is unsportmanship not to shake hands with your opponent regardless of the circumstances.

Chloe le Bopper
04-15-2006, 09:59 PM
What I have learned from this thread:

It's okay for Safin to be Safin, but not okay for Almagro to be Almagro.

Alright then :worship:

hablovah19
04-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Marat didn't shake his opponent's hand ? :eek:

Meh, thanks to no Canadian coverage... I didn't get to see any of this drama :mad:

hablovah19
04-15-2006, 10:07 PM
it were 2 moments of tension in the match
a) in a dropshot from Safin, Almagro reaches and the ball touchs the net and falls in Safin's court, Almagro instead of say sorry jumped like Nadal ..

but i think Marat should have shaked his hands ....
oh my........... :o

I'm still surprised Marat didn't shake his opponent's hand.... :devil:

but this still doesn't sound like what Patty Schnyder pulled against Conchita :haha::spit:

Yappa
04-15-2006, 10:11 PM
I'll upload the match later/tomorrow.
But only if someone records the Haas-Fish match tonight! :devil:

hablovah19
04-15-2006, 10:12 PM
I'll upload the match later/tomorrow.

That would be awesome :yeah:

ys
04-15-2006, 10:24 PM
No matter how much your opponent annoys you, it's poor form not to shake at the end of the match.

Period. Safin didn't do the right thing.

NYCtennisfan
04-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Before judging people should take into account Safin's character. He just doesn't keep people who don't respect him around... He just doesn't. And if you want to shake Safin's hand in the end of the match you have to behave. With his look Safin makes this clear... Not shaking Marat's hand was Almagro's choice. He'd rather jump around and scream (his "#1" pendant tangling around his neck) than shake hands with safin in the end of the match.

LOL! This is the best line yet.

Vass
04-15-2006, 10:43 PM
How would Marat feel if players stopped shaking HIS hand because of HIS behaviour ?
His behavior is usually not disrespectful to the other player. Except when he starts arguing with the umpire for a line call... Although in my head, if it's under 30 seconds, it counts as less disrespect than intensive fist-pump and "vamos!" after the opponent's UF.

PS: in more than half of the cases Marat is right about line calls.

Vass
04-15-2006, 10:45 PM
LOL! This is the best line yet.
You f*cking didn't ever meet the man, you don't know. Probably didn't even ever see him during practice. Not to mention what he is like in the locker-room with other players and what other players are like with him in the dressing room.

NYCtennisfan
04-15-2006, 10:50 PM
You f*cking didn't ever meet the man, you don't know. Probably didn't even ever see him during practice. Not to mention what he is like in the locker-room with other players and what other players are like with him in the dressing room.

Who said anything about any of that? You wrote that, "And if you want to shake Safin's hand in the end of the match you have to behave. With his look Safin makes this clear."

Who made Safin a God who is above everyone where THEY have to behave if they want to shake the Great One's hand?

Broomie
04-15-2006, 10:57 PM
Whatever people say, fans, haters, or anyone, none of us is Safin's best friend nor Almagro's. So we'll never know. Especially since there won't even be a press conference. (I don't think marat acts as a king or whatever. But none of us knows with absolutely zero doubt, so why get into this fiction subject? :rolleyes: )

Let's say marat should have shaken hands because he was supposed to, and he didn't :( . Bad boy! (Do you feel better if i add: you're a disgrace to the tennis world? :) )

Vass
04-15-2006, 10:59 PM
You have to behave if you want to have the honor of receiving the handshake of mister Marat Safin? Are you kidding or are you serious?

It's just a handshake! Safin did not have to marry the guy, he just had to shake hands.
You're creating this big fairytale around this to make Safin a grand figure and Almagro just an uncivilized creature.

Yeah, right.

So, that's Almagro's big crime? He jumps around, screams (and could you explain why this is so wrong?) and therefor, he does not deserve the grand honor of shaking mister Safin's hand?

Ok... I retract that post. :o Imagined myself on Almagro's place. :lol:
I'm partial, i'll let myself out of this thread. :sport:

Vass
04-15-2006, 11:06 PM
Who made Safin a God who is above everyone where THEY have to behave if they want to shake the Great One's hand?
Want is the central word here.
If you disrespect him, Safin wouldn't shake your hand (assuming that you want a handshake in the end of the match ;) ;) ).
And if Almagro didn't want a handshake, he'd be "doesn't matter. No big deal." about it. And if his attitude is "no big deal", we shouldn't be arguing about this either. So...

Damn, i'm tired, i'm spilling bull-sh*t...

BlackSilver
04-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Ahahahahaha, I watched the video and it was pretty funny, I hope he will lose his head again and do it countless times in the future.

Damita
04-15-2006, 11:13 PM
I admire your patience Vass.

Allez
04-15-2006, 11:16 PM
The ATP needs to make it mandatory for every player to behave themselves when playing Marat and fine them if they misbehave...The ATP should also issue a booklet to every player on "What Not To Do" when playing Marat.

hablovah19
04-15-2006, 11:17 PM
ok, so Marat is no Saint : what a revelation............... :devil:

He should have shook his opponent's hand and I can find no excuses for him :o

but Marat doesn't behave as badly as Hewitt, Coria, Kiefer, etc, and that is why he isn't vilified like they are on this tennis board. deal with it! :ras::secret:

shotgun
04-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Ahahahahaha, I watched the video and it was pretty funny, I hope he will lose his head again and do it countless times in the future.

The best part is Almagro walking towards the net and looking almost non-stop at Safin, kind of expecting him to turn to do the handshake. :p

BlackSilver
04-15-2006, 11:26 PM
The best part is Almagro walking towards the net and looking almost non-stop at Safin, kind of expecting him to turn to do the handshake. :p

Ahahahaha, yep, and Safin looking down thinking "Go away idiot, I don't like you"

Yappa
04-15-2006, 11:29 PM
Ahahahaha, yep, and Safin looking down thinking "Go away idiot, I don't like you"

I think I just found the idea for my first Avatar! :p

NYCtennisfan
04-15-2006, 11:33 PM
The ATP needs to make it mandatory for every player to behave themselves when playing Marat and fine them if they misbehave...The ATP should also issue a booklet to every player on "What Not To Do" when playing Marat.

:) They should make sure all of lockerooms have a poster of the rules posted where everyone is sure to see it.

musefanatic
04-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Quite a good match today, i really did think Safin would win but he just totally lost it when he hurt his ankle.

Couldn't believe he didn't shake Almagro's hand though. Could've been to do with that sarcastic applause when he questioned a serve of Safin's. Good luck in the final Nicolas

Gulliver
04-15-2006, 11:59 PM
So Safin is a new member of the "Don't Shake Hands with your Opponent Club".

Who founded it and who else is in this elite group?
Is there a subscription?
When will we receive their Newsletter?
Can I visit their website?

heya
04-16-2006, 12:04 AM
Safin may have been playing while he was standing on one leg, just like Federer.

Himura
04-16-2006, 12:24 AM
The point Almagro won of a let cord was a drop shot which was good enough so that it hit the net before going over, I see no need to apologise for that.

Wrong....everyone knows that you should apologise after what happend there, dosent matter if it was a good dropshot. And after that he made a celebration like he scored the decisive goal in World Cup(soccer).

Yes Marat should have shaked hands with Almagro but i understand why he didn`t.

robert6061
04-16-2006, 12:45 AM
It seemed as if Nico's attempts to pump himself grated on Marat during the latter stages of the match. Nico regularly screamed at himself and punched the air with his fist,even after points which were not especially crucial . He is an intense competitor and it is an indication of his talent and his mental strength that he can record wins against the likes of Safin,Volandri and Ferrero after having come through the qualies.Many of his fellow pros may find Nico's ego difficult to take.Also, from what I have seen,his attitude towards the fans could also be improved.There are still a lot more arrogant personalities on the tour than him and Marat should have shaken his hand at the conclusion of the match.If Nico continues to play at this level throughout the duration of the clay court circuit,he will be taking many more scalps.Tomorrow he is taking on one of my favourite players Gilles Simon in what promises to be a fascinating final between two players only tennis die hards will be familiar with. I'm hoping for a French win...allez Gilles!

Ales_Alessandra
04-16-2006, 04:17 AM
Oh my!!! This whole thread!! :rolls: :rolls:
You guys are funny!!!
What is the big deal on shake hands or not?? Is a rule on tennis??? It means respect between opponents, but not a rule!! And if it means respect and for some reason someone felt like there wasn't any, why do it then??!! Now, it happens in all sports!! Imagine if everyone goes mad everytime someone doesn't shake a hand at the soccer games, basketball games??
I'm not gonna judge the act, but I'm his fan and don't like to see others criticising him!! You have the right to agree or disagree with his behaviour but not to judge the man, the sportsman maybe but not the human being Marat Safin. :o I think nobody here have sitten with him for a coffee once, have you? I believe not!! Anyway, it is past already!!!! Just wan to give my opinion!!!

L James
04-16-2006, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the videos, Four:Love. Look forward to seeing the match if you post it :yeah:

World Beater
04-16-2006, 06:32 AM
anybody remember safin-starace at rg a few years ago... safin admitted to using gamesmanship in the interview afterwards.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-16-2006, 07:07 AM
anybody remember safin-starace at rg a few years ago... safin admitted to using gamesmanship in the interview afterwards.
What gamesmanship did he play?

its.like.that
04-16-2006, 07:12 AM
Keep it up bro and take out Simon tomorrow.

Yes, being a curry munching Gerulaitis qualifies you as brethren to the Hispanic population.

its.like.that
04-16-2006, 07:15 AM

http://www.triplethreatsports777.com/forum/images/smilies/handshake.gif

breakingthehabit
04-16-2006, 07:40 AM
Oh my!!! This whole thread!! :rolls: :rolls:
You guys are funny!!!
What is the big deal on shake hands or not?? Is a rule on tennis??? It means respect between opponents, but not a rule!! And if it means respect and for some reason someone felt like there wasn't any, why do it then??!! Now, it happens in all sports!! Imagine if everyone goes mad everytime someone doesn't shake a hand at the soccer games, basketball games??
I'm not gonna judge the act, but I'm his fan and don't like to see others criticising him!! You have the right to agree or disagree with his behaviour but not to judge the man, the sportsman maybe but not the human being Marat Safin. :o I think nobody here have sitten with him for a coffee once, have you? I believe not!! Anyway, it is past already!!!! Just wan to give my opinion!!!

:yeah: totally agree with you

Deivid23
04-16-2006, 07:54 AM
What I have learned from this thread:

It's okay for Safin to be Safin, but not okay for Almagro to be Almagro.

Alright then :worship:

When you celebrate with a "Fist pump&Vamos&Stare at your opponent" after a lucky netcord in final set, it´s a normal thing your rival thinks you´re a fucking idiot ;)

Frederick16
04-16-2006, 08:27 AM
we can all see it now on eurosport!! marat just tried to hit a ball through almagro when he was at the net!! haha :)

Action Jackson
04-16-2006, 08:53 AM

That was hilarious and the over celebrations were funny as well. This is just one of the many great "refusals" over time.

As I said before, Marat should have shook his hand and said "You want to finish this after the match." :)

Frederick16
04-16-2006, 08:57 AM
marat showed in this match that he is one of the most talented players!! good tournie after that injury and he will be top 5 at the end of the year!!

Vass
04-16-2006, 10:14 AM
No he didn't.
or mayeb i remember it wrong.

MariaV
04-16-2006, 10:26 AM
No he didn't.
or mayeb i remember it wrong.
Vass, yes he did admit he wasn't at his best behaviour vs Starace and wanted the win at any cost. We all still love him. ;) :angel:

I mean I have no problem admitting he has some flaws, no-one is perfect, right? Not even Marat. ;) But THIS time I really think he had every right not to shake hands, and why is this a big deal anyway? :shrug:

linus
04-16-2006, 10:28 AM
seems i have missed so much :)

first, is Marat wrong not to shake hands with Almagro?

-- it depends on how you regard handshaking :p since it happens after the match has finished, and if i was not wrong, no ATP would fine a player for not to shake hands each other :aplot: so we couldnt tell that lighter or heavier Safin is wrong or lack of some kind of spirit :)

what we can get from it is just that Safin wouldnt like to shake hands with Almagro, thats all and thats enough :cool:

then, is it reasonable for Marat to do that?
--no answer at all. for me, it told me something i didnt expect before it happened :p i knew Safin didnt do everything perfectly while at least he is not a bad guy. so i had to think over why he did that. no matter whether Almagro was wrong or not, Safin's reactions have been enough, to me. you can see many similar times with fire inside both of players while not every time they would choose to show it so completely. back to Almagro, at some points, he did it as he liked, who knows :eek:

i cheered for Almagro before today, wish him a better future. maybe he would take the title this home tournament, well, let him be. Win doesnt mean that he was right and Safin was wrong.

Castafiore
04-16-2006, 10:40 AM
I saw that last set again on Eurosport. Like others have pointed out, there were at least two incidents that seemed to annoy Safin:
Almagro fist-pumped and Vamossed at the wrong time: when he won a point thanks to the net (after the drop shop of Safin). It is indeed the habit of most players to not celebrate when the luck of the net is with you (although I can understand why you would celebrate if it gives you a point in a crucial time of the match). He should have held up his hand like most players do.
In the last game of the match, Safin was serving and hit an ace - or what he thought was an ace and the umpire agreed. Almagro didn't agree and asked the umpire to step down which he did. The umpire pointed towards a mark in the clay after which Almagro started screaming because the umpire was marking out a wrong spot. Almagro's reaction (the screaming) was a bit over the top perhaps but the replay (slow motion) did show that Almagro had a point: the umpire did indeed mark out the wrong spot and the ace was indeed out. Safin got his ace. The commentators on Eurosport also said that Almagro had a point when he argued that it wasn't an ace but that the screaming was a bit much perhaps.

Having said that, I still don't quite understand what Almagro did so wrong that he doesn't deserve the great honor of shaking the hands of mister Marat Safin.

MariaV
04-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Having said that, I still don't quite understand what Almagro did so wrong that he doesn't deserve the great honor of shaking the hands of mister Marat Safin.

Nothing Castafiore, nothing. Safin was just a bit too sensitive. :shrug:

L James
04-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Marat & Almagro, two funny guys :yeah: :lol:

hitchhiker
04-16-2006, 01:04 PM
shake hands you big boofhead baby. ive seen people shake hands in football matches after they have spit on and this bastard has a cry because his ankle turned the wrong way. boohoo. sore loser.

stebs
04-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Almagro fist-pumped and Vamossed at the wrong time: when he won a point thanks to the net (after the drop shop of Safin). It is indeed the habit of most players to not celebrate when the luck of the net is with you (although I can understand why you would celebrate if it gives you a point in a crucial time of the match). He should have held up his hand like most players do.

It was a drop shot though, the fact that it hit the net was because it was such a good drop shot. I wouldn't say Almagro was lucky to win that point just that it was a good drop-shot.

Himura
04-16-2006, 01:17 PM
It was a drop shot though, the fact that it hit the net was because it was such a good drop shot. I wouldn't say Almagro was lucky to win that point just that it was a good drop-shot.

doesent matter if it was a good dropshop.....everbody that watch or playz knows that he should apologise in that situation

buddyholly
04-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Judge him, don't judge him, agree with him, disagree with him, judge the man (boy), don't judge his behaviour etc., etc.
Most of us don't care that much. If he acted like an asshole, then he probably is one.

Blaze
04-16-2006, 02:06 PM
doesent matter if it was a good dropshop.....everbody that watch or playz knows that he should apologise in that situation

By the same token, everybody knows that whatever happens in a match, you should shake your opponents hand

foul_dwimmerlaik
04-16-2006, 02:29 PM
The thread is *still* going on. Brilliant.

hitchhiker
04-16-2006, 02:49 PM
The thread is *still* going on. Brilliant.

if peoples with marats name in their signature stopped posting in it, it would have ended on page 2.

Himura
04-16-2006, 03:06 PM
By the same token, everybody knows that whatever happens in a match, you should shake your opponents hand

Yeah....i said it earler in a post....he should shake hands

denibas77
04-16-2006, 04:43 PM
No he shouldn't in this case he was totaly right .

Lee
04-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Before judging people should take into account Safin's character. He just doesn't keep people who don't respect him around... He just doesn't. And if you want to shake Safin's hand in the end of the match you have to behave. With his look Safin makes this clear...
Not shaking Marat's hand was Almagro's choice. He'd rather jump around and scream (his "#1" pendant dangling around his neck) than shake hands with safin in the end of the match.

This post takes the cake.

We all have to worship Safin the God. If you don't behave on the court, you're not worthy of touching his hand.

btw, you probably missed the part that Almagro went out of his way to a sitting Safin to offer a handshake. Many gracious players, after losing a match, WAITED at the net for their opponents coming to the net after celebrating.

Still puzzled by what's wrong with wearing a #1 pendant on one's neck :confused:

denibas77
04-16-2006, 10:26 PM
if your opponent acts like a jerk you don't have to wait at the net ,if safin shaked his hand he would approve his disgasting behavier

stebs
04-16-2006, 11:09 PM
I would have to disagree. I am with you that it would be the sportsmanlike thing to do and that in a situation where the net has actively changed the course of the point it is a must but it was an important point and Almagro played a great shot. There is nothing wrong with not apologising as the net did not alter the course of the point. Like I say, it would however have been something most players would do.

gsm
04-17-2006, 04:35 AM
the safinholics are living up to their name i see

Allez
04-17-2006, 08:14 AM
I think they should do away with handshakes. That would certainly eliminate any potential unpleasantness where these two players are concerned.

Corey Feldman
04-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Here is almagro arguing with the umpire :D Trying to make out it was another mark!! Or the mark he is pointing at is out :lol: hard to see with the shadow.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/9510/almaggot8hq.jpgmaybe he's just an Arsenal fan and wanting everyone at home to notice how the game is going...

anyway, had to bump up this thread to have a good laugh and Safin and more of his big-baby antics :lol: