Hewitt fined, considers forfeiting match [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hewitt fined, considers forfeiting match

Jessi
08-06-2002, 10:44 PM
Tue Aug 6, 6:06 PM ET

MASON, Ohio - Miffed by a fine for refusing an interview, No. 1 seed Lleyton Hewitt considered forfeiting his first-round match Tuesday in the Masters Series Cincinnati, but played anyway and won.

The temperamental Wimbledon ( news - web sites) champion beat Robbie Ginepri 6-0, 6-0, then lashed out at the ATP for fining him a minimum of dlrs 20,000.

"I wasn't going to walk on the court," said Hewitt, who claimed he was distracted by the fine. "I don't see any point in me walking on the court and not giving 100 percent."

Michael Chang and Andy Roddick also advanced Tuesday, while defending champion Gustavo Kuerten lost.

The ATP said Hewitt will be fined either dlrs 20,000 or half of his prize money from the tournament ó whichever is larger ó for refusing to do an interview with ESPN beforehand.

Players are required to do interviews as part of the ATP's program to promote the tour. Hewitt declined when asked last week.

Hewitt was reminded of the interview requirement in the past two days and was told he'd be fined if he continued to refuse.

"I said, 'No, I'm not doing it,'" said Hewitt, who also has dodged the Australian media. "I have got other stuff going on through the week, and that's where the problem kicked in."

Hewitt decided a few minutes before his match Tuesday to do the interview so he could avoid the fine, but it was too late for ESPN, an ATP official said.

"That's when all hell broke loose then because if I am going to get fined for going out, what is the point of me going out to play?" Hewitt said. "My head was actually spinning before I went out. I am surprised that I didn't do what he (Ginepri) did and missed every ball out there."

Hewitt can appeal his fine to a committee of former ATP players

Angele
08-06-2002, 10:55 PM
This is such crap... If they want to fine him, ok but the amount :eek: If he wins, his fine will be $196,000 :eek: Almost two hundred thousant dollars for not doing an interview... pure crap!!

Andre Agassi misses required TOURNAMENT = $80,000 fine

Lleyton Hewitt misses required INTERVIEW = (possible) $196,000 fine

Chloe le Bopper
08-06-2002, 11:11 PM
No wonder he crushed Ginepri.

Sonic
08-06-2002, 11:15 PM
he should refuse all week and take the title.... just to rub it in shitloads. :)

Chloe le Bopper
08-06-2002, 11:15 PM
Good one Sonic, in a way I agree...

On one hand it would be nice if the number one player would do more to promote the tour, on the other, I dont see how this fine was in order.

Sonic
08-06-2002, 11:18 PM
i don't know the full details of his anti media thing so can't comment, but its always funny when people go against the media.

did any other players have to give interviews?

Lisbeth
08-06-2002, 11:40 PM
He's a silly boy sometimes and should obey the rules, but frankly I think holding compulsory interviews before the match is ludicrous. Does anyone force any other sportspeople to take their focus off the game in this way? Why can't they use footage and post-match interviews for promotion? Most people would find watching a game more interesting than listening to players blabbing on anyway. Very odd.

Jackie
08-06-2002, 11:44 PM
After the match, yeah, I can understand that, but before the match shouldn't players be focussing on playing? That rule is ridiculous.

Jackie
08-06-2002, 11:46 PM
...and if it was some unknown qualifier rather than Hewitt who had refused the interview, would they have bothered with the fine?

Pea
08-06-2002, 11:53 PM
I don't understand why every player has to give an interviews after every match! It just seems exhausting! And the questions! Same ones over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and oerv again.:rolleyes:

Chloe le Bopper
08-07-2002, 12:29 AM
If they want to market the sport they should have them parade around court in boxer breifs.

Jessi
08-07-2002, 12:36 AM
Rebecca, you are a genius!;)

Static
08-07-2002, 01:02 AM
Pea read my mind, this is so stupid :o

TennisHack
08-07-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Rebecca
If they want to market the sport they should have them parade around court in boxer briefs.

LOL . . . unfortunately, the marketing departments are full of stodgy old men. Stodgy old straight men, probably. :rolleyes:

tennischick
08-07-2002, 01:37 AM
Hewitt's anti-media posture has finally cost him. i don't think the ATP is reacting singularly to this incident but to his general lack of cooperation when it comes to doing interviews. i guess he has stood up one too many journalists and somebody finally decided to read him the riot act. this has been coming for some time. let's see how the Potato handles the media from here on in. yes the fine is excessive but so too is his hostility towards the media and it had to come to this sooner or later. i'm sure the Aussie press and having a field day with this bec he hates them the most!

Murkofan
08-07-2002, 01:45 AM
This is ridiculous, and the fine is way overblown. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by tennischick
Hewitt's anti-media posture has finally cost him. i don't think the ATP is reacting singularly to this incident but to his general lack of cooperation when it comes to doing interviews. i guess he has stood up one too many journalists and somebody finally decided to read him the riot act. this has been coming for some time. let's see how the Potato handles the media from here on in. yes the fine is excessive but so too is his hostility towards the media and it had to come to this sooner or later. i'm sure the Aussie press and having a field day with this bec he hates them the most!

I could be wrong, but I don't recall Lleyton refusing to give interviews before. He's requested that some journalists not be allowed into his post match press conferences. And I wouldn't say that he hates the Aussie press;rather it seems to me to be the other way around, at least with a select few journalists.

Jackie
08-07-2002, 02:30 AM
LMAO @ Rebecca

Jackie
08-07-2002, 02:32 AM
Dr Marly, I totally agree.

Sorry about the multiple posts. I didn't see the 2nd page when I posted the first one.

Pea
08-07-2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by TennisHack

LOL . . . unfortunately, the marketing departments are full of stodgy old men. Stodgy old straight men, probably. :rolleyes:

Hehe....luckily, the media is tranced on hot Russians.;):p

TheBoiledEgg
08-07-2002, 03:16 AM
you can hear what the potato has to say on the BBC online site

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/2177302.stm

its on the bar in middle of page at top

Jackie
08-07-2002, 03:22 AM
Thanks

Static
08-07-2002, 03:25 AM
Thanks eggs, I don't think Lleyton should have said anything about the Wta and Atp, I don't know why he mentioned that.

Jackie
08-07-2002, 03:34 AM
There are rumours that the ATP just fined Hewitt (and Agassi last week) because they are in financial trouble

Static
08-07-2002, 03:40 AM
O erm sorry didn't know that :o

Jackie
08-07-2002, 03:59 AM
If you're interested, there's stuff all over the WTA board about it

Static
08-07-2002, 04:27 AM
Yup thnx I read it , lol, I've been really out of it lately too much men's tennis for me :o

warfreakbix
08-07-2002, 11:14 AM
Agree on what Rebecca said on promoting men's tennis, although I would prefer it if they do it on their boxers, LOL! :D

TennisHack
08-07-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by untitled2284
If you're interested, there's stuff all over the WTA board about it

For those rare few of us who aren't on the WTA board, could you elaborate, please? Is it Hewitt & Agassi in financial trouble (hard to believe), or the ATP?

Goonergal
08-07-2002, 04:27 PM
The ATP Itself

TennisHack
08-07-2002, 10:32 PM
:eek: PattyMac gets pissy!

Hewitt Fined, Threatens to Quit, Then Wins
By SELENA ROBERTS

MASON, Ohio, Aug. 6 ? The same combative nature that pumps air into Lleyton Hewitt's lungs during a match has apparently left him miscast in the role of No. 1 player in the world.

Hewitt, a 21-year-old Australian, enjoys the fight to keep his perch, but not the responsibility of having it. Faced with at least a $20,000 fine from the Association of Tennis Professionals for not fulfilling his duties to promote the sport today, Hewitt threatened to walk out of the Tennis Masters Series Cincinnati tournament just minutes before he was to play Robby Ginepri.

"I wasn't going to walk on the court, simple as that," Hewitt said. "I can really understand why people see the WTA is going stronger than the ATP at the moment," Hewitt added, referring to the women's tour. "Can't blame them."

Hewitt, who is seeded first in the tournament, ended up playing, channeling his anger into a 6-0, 6-0, victory. But he fumed about the leadership of the ATP after the tour penalized him for declining a required interview with ESPN, the broadcaster of the event. "You wonder who is making the right decisions here," Hewitt said after his match. "Where is it all going?"

The reasons for his anger were unclear. At first he said officials ambushed him with an ESPN interview request two hours before his match. Then he amended that statement, conceding that his management group, Octagon, had been negotiating with ESPN for days.

"We had been having talks with the C.E.O." of the ATP, Mark Miles, "the last 24 to 48 hours about the whole thing," Hewitt said.

Contrary to Hewitt's chronology, officials said the ESPN interview had been on the top player's list of pre-event requirements for more than a week. They said this did not "pop up," as Hewitt described.

Miles responded by saying: "It's simple. We enforce the rules." Miles went on to say that he was disappointed but not surprised by Hewitt's remarks because of his "fiery and competitive side." Officials said the fine of either $20,000 ? or half his prize money this week, if that figure is greater ? would stand. Hewitt can appeal.

In a last-minute maneuver to avoid the fine, Hewitt agreed to do the interview 15 minutes before the match. By then, it was too late.

To many, this stir involving Hewitt was less about an ESPN interview and more about a player who recoils at helping the Tour's visibility on an increasingly crowded sports landscape. In the year since Hewitt won the United States Open, many believe that he has handled his duties as No. 1 with little grace.

"If Lleyton Hewitt decides to quit tomorrow, the Tour would still exist," said Patrick McEnroe, an analyst for ESPN. "Lleyton is exciting to watch, and he's good for the game on the court, but he's not bigger than the sport."

Unlike other pro sports, in which players are expected to speak on a variety of issues on a daily basis, tennis requires very little of its stars.

Players are bound to give only two hours to the Tour each week, a block of time that includes community service, sponsorship obligations and requests from the news media.

Many tennis players comply without complaining. In demand during the United States swing of the Tour, the Americans Andy Roddick and James Blake go well beyond what is required in their efforts to pitch the tour to the public.

"Obviously, I feel like the ATP is one of my biggest allies," Roddick said. "I don't know Lleyton's side of the story, but as far as I am concerned, they are always there."

Angele
08-07-2002, 10:38 PM
if they want to promote Lleyton wtf isn't his post match press conference from yesterday on the cincy site :confused: I had to go to the official ASAP site to see it!

Lisbeth
08-08-2002, 12:00 AM
Good point angele87 and combined with Roddick's comments I think it says it all ... the ATP will do anything to promote a promising young USAmerican, otherwise they don't give a hoot. Which makes you wonder why they even want to interview Hewitt.

Chloe le Bopper
08-08-2002, 12:28 AM
Number 1 Kim that is exactly what I was going to ramble on and on about -

The ATP marketting strategy is not surprisingly xenophobic :rolleyes:

How many times have I looked for an interview for a top player and not found it? But never had problems finding them for lower ranked players who haven't even won a masters?

ugh

tennischick
08-08-2002, 02:25 AM
i was impressed with the subtle way that Cliff Drysdale told Hewitt today (after the Sanguinetti non-match) that as the #1 player in the world, he had a certain obligation to talk to the press.

i think Hewitt got the message loud and clear.

good for him. it's time to end this stupid war with the media.

Lisbeth
08-08-2002, 06:11 AM
Of course he does have to talk to the media, but maybe certain elements of the media would also benefit from a bit of education in how to deal with players too!!

I still think interview AFTER matches are plenty.

Gambill_Rules
08-08-2002, 11:13 AM
Hes a twat!

tennischick
08-08-2002, 01:11 PM
Hewitt said that he was quite prepared to do the interview before the match and that he was waiting by the locker-room which is where he wanted to do the interview. apparently he expected the media to come to him and they expected him to come to them.

tennischick
08-08-2002, 02:24 PM
Hewitt urged to call media truce

World number one Lleyton Hewitt has been urged to sort out his differences with the media by his Davis Cup team-mate Wayne Arthurs.

Hewitt has not enjoyed the best of relationships with the press since emerging as one of the top players in the game.

But Arthurs, who is expected to line-up alongside Hewitt in Australia's Davis Cup tie with India in Adelaide, said it is time for the Wimbledon champion to bury the hatchet.

"He has to do something about it," Arthurs told the Australian Associated Press.

"It's possibly something that he will have to deal with being number one in the world.

"It is big status that you have to carry and he might have to look at that side of things a little harder than he has done in the past.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/2180848.stm

KaseyL
08-08-2002, 07:50 PM
Number 1 Kim that is exactly what I was going to ramble on and on about -

The ATP marketting strategy is not surprisingly xenophobic :rolleyes:

How many times have I looked for an interview for a top player and not found it? But never had problems finding them for lower ranked players who haven't even won a masters?

ugh

so true!

Jackie
08-09-2002, 04:29 AM
These are just bits of recent (from this week) interviews I found that may help clear up what happened before this was blown out of proportion.

"Oh, itís something that, you know, annoys me when Iíve got so many things on my plate. You know, Iíve already done four things this week. Um, you know, Iíve done LA Times interviews, Iíve already done all these things, and for me, my managers had already spoken to the producers of ESPN, and they were happy for me just to talk after my match on the court like I am today. Then I find out two hours before the match yesterday that I was gonna get fined if I didnít do an interview BEFORE the match; doesnít matter if I spoke to you guys afterwards or not. So with an hour to go, I let the ATP know, all right, you set Ďem up outside the locker room, Iíll come and talk for five or ten minutes, and Iím fine whenever. So I was sitting in the locker room, waiting with my coach there, it got to five-to-one at the time, they come to me and say no, itís too late then."

(Start of another interview)Drysdale: Lleyton, itís really important for us, and for tennisí image, and for you as the number one player in the world, and obviously as that youíre sort of the spokesman for it. We really love talking to you when itís all over, the fans want to hear from you, so we hope that we will be talking to you a lot throughout the rest of this hard court season.

Lleyton: Well, I hope I keep winning to be able to talk to you. (smiles)

(This is a different interview)Q. Do you ever enjoy doing interviews or are they always like a task?

LLEYTON HEWITT: No, I enjoy doing them. Everyone keeps saying about Australia media, but there's Australia media that I talk to all the time. But it's not always on an interview basis, it is on a friendship basis talking about the footie back home stuff like that. There's only been a few people in Australia who have sort of got on the wrong side with, I think both them against me and me against them. Apart from that, the Australian media has been fine, every time I go home I speak to, you know, all the networks when I arrive home, I have been speaking to reporters who -- Australians who work in London and also in Australia over the last few weeks as well. I think -- I enjoy it some interviews. Obviously if it always adds up, it becomes a bit of a chore. I did an interview a couple of weeks ago with the L.A. times and it was fun. I really enjoyed it. They are the kind of interviews I think that are better when -- I thought it was a 15 minute interview, we ended up talking for over an hour because just kept rolling, and I got no problem with that

tennischick
08-13-2002, 02:52 PM
from jon wertheim, aug. 12 diary...

Li'l Lleyton

A good chunk of this week's mail pertained to Hewitt. No, not to his reaching the Cincy final, which included a solid win over Andre Agassi. Instead, most of you weighed in on the latest L'Affaire Lleyton. The words Łberjerk, punk and should be pummeled cropped up repeatedly.

Sara Darride of Middletown, N.Y., asked: "After his latest antics, do you think Lleyton Hewitt has replaced Marcelo Rios as the biggest jerk in the sport? Heaven forbid the ATP Tour wants the No. 1 player in the world to promote a struggling game. More than ever, I hope the little brat's reign at the top ends soon."

Martin Fletcher of Jackson, Miss., chimes in with: "A lot of people want to blame Lleyton Hewitt's handlers for the way he's perceived in the media and public. I am beginning to think that's garbage. I think his people might have known all along what a jerk he is and tried to keep his public exposure to a minimum. Let's start calling athletes who behave badly what they are, instead of always finding excuses for them."

My riff: First, for those who missed it, last week in Cincinnati Hewitt's petulance and his inaccessibility came together to create yet another firestorm. The weekend before the tournament, Hewitt refused to cede a few minutes of his time to ESPN for an interview to supplement the tournament broadcasts. Never mind that the interviews are mandatory for players (and a precondition for ESPN agreeing to the coverage) and that every other star on tour, including Sampras and Agassi, made time. Never mind that tying one's shoes requires about as much time -- and more brain power -- than these frothy Q&As. Never mind that Hewitt had already declined, inexplicably, to submit to the ESPN interview the week before in Toronto. Never mind that the network devotes more than 300 hours a year to televising tennis -- exposure that plays no small role in the millions of dollars Hewitt has made. Never mind that Hewitt, who, before Tuesday, hadn't won a match since the Wimbledon final, had time to spare.

Hewitt, you see, likes giving interviews roughly as much as he does losing matches. And he has a special vendetta against ESPN. So he stomped his feet and put his hands over his ears and screamed "No." By the time he finally consented, less than half an hour before he was to take the court, it was too late for the network. The tour told him he was subject to a fine of $20,000 or half his tournament winnings, whichever is greater. Hewitt, in response, pondered pulling out of the tournament. "I wasn't going to walk on the court," he said. "Simple as that."

He went out and double-bageled poor Robby Ginepri.

Then. in the press conference that followed, he offered a rambling tirade, firing away at Mark Miles, the men's tour, the ATP staffers, earth, the other eight planets, anything he could think of.

Among the memorable lines in his diatribe: "I can really understand why people see the WTA as going stronger than the ATP at the moment." (Great. Men's tennis has enough detractors these days, in no small part because of the perceived solipsism of the stars. Now the top player is joining in.)

The first problem is that Hewitt is under the mistaken impression that his duties end when he leaves the court. Hey, others can be the tour's public face. Sorry, mate, it doesn't work that way. A professional athlete who wants only to compete and forego the marketing, the media, the mingling with the public is like a brain surgeon who does the cerebrum but not the cerebellum. It's all part of the job description -- particularly when your sport is hard-up for a transcendent, personable star.

Hewitt isn't, however, solely to blame. He is, after all "only" 21 and, like any top athlete, has been pampered for years. Ordinarily it is the place of handlers and agents to disabuse athletes of the notion that they are bigger than the sport, to pave the path for reason to prevail. But the Hewitt "brain trust" is part of the problem, not the solution. Since his ascent, they have allowed him to be so inaccessible that he may as well be in Tora Bora. And time and again, they have proven to be more interested in conciliating Hewitt and trying, albeit clumsily, to justify his bush-league behavior than in doing the right thing, much less what's best for the sport. (Naturally, no apology was forthcoming last week; instead Team Hewitt has vowed to appeal the fine, blah, blah, blah).

One of you asked whether there was any silver lining to this latest black eye. Well, for one, let's make clear that Hewitt is the exception and not the rule. Other young stars like Marat Safin, Tommy Haas, Juan Carlos Ferrero, James Blake and Roddick get the drill.

What's more, Hewitt is still young. A decade ago, another ultratalented player comported himself like a jackass and tried to operate under his own set of rules. Andre Agassi eventually grew up and discovered the high road. Today, he is the Buddha of men's tennis, a wise, well-spoken player who emanates class and calm. A few more public-relations fiascoes and perhaps Hewitt will finally give his image some much-needed reupholstering. Better Lleyton never, so to speak.

Also, as I mentioned last week, Hewitt does, at times, show a human and humane side. One of you suggested that he creates controversy (see: 2001 U.S. Open match against Blake) as a way of motivating himself, and that deep down he thrives on being the villain. It's not an unreasonable theory. But you have to believe that there comes a point when you want people to think well of you and not begrudge you your success. And just so you don't think all is hopeless and we're dealing with the devil incarnate ...

tennischick
08-13-2002, 02:53 PM
same source, part deux (a contrast)...

I noted with interest your response to a reader's question on Andy Roddick, in which you mentioned Lleyton Hewitt and a softer side you believe he has. I agree, and I have seen it firsthand. Australia was playing a Davis Cup tie here in Perth and I went with some friends to watch Australia practice. I took great delight in seeing Pat Rafter play Hewitt in what was one of the most fiercely competitive games I've ever seen, tournament or practice. Disputing line calls, sledging, both brought their best games. Hewitt beat Rafter 7-5, I believe.

Anyway, there were probably about 50 people watching, and after practice both stars stayed around, signed autographs and took time to chat with the fans. I expected this from Pat "Mr. Nice Guy" Rafter, but I thought Hewitt would sign a few autographs and head off to the showers. He didn't. I have his autograph, and he talked to me and my two friends for a couple of minutes. He's a really nice guy; I think he's easily misunderstood. Hewitt stayed for as long as Pat did and seemed to enjoy it. After that, he paid a visit to the local children's hospital.

Lleyton Hewitt guards his private life fiercely and therefore comes across very aggressive. And, yeah, he could handle the media better. Still, don't forget how young he is, and, although that is not an excuse, it contributes. I think the frank honesty he brings to the tennis world is long overdue. Just thought you should know.
óMike Blakemore, Perth, Australia

Murkofan
08-13-2002, 03:04 PM
Thanks for that, TC.

Too bad Wertheim couldn't tell us what this "special vendetta" Lleyton has against ESPN is all about. While I agree that Lleyton should do more interviews and stuff, that kind of makes me suspicious. It's easy to come out and say that Lleyton doesn't like ESPN for whatever reason without giving a real explaination as to what the deal is and why. But oh well, I'm sure Wertheim is 100% truthful and correct. :rolleyes:

Goonergal
08-13-2002, 03:23 PM
:rolleyes: @ Wertheim.

Angele
08-13-2002, 03:33 PM
Ok too many people are making a big deal out of this thing, including the ATP tour. He missed an interview for god's sake. I agree, he should of done his interview and refusing to do it was immature of him BUT it's ONLY an interview! I like to see what this Wertheim guy has to say about Agassi missing a MANDATORY tournament :rolleyes: And the ATP need to stop with all their "we only want to promote the tour" bullshit! The ATP tour is NOT only Pete, Andre, Andy and the other crew of Americans out there. Like somebody else pointed out in a thread, in the official cincy photo gallery there are twice as many pictures of Andy as there are of the champion... how much sense does that make? And on the interview section of the Cincy site there 35 player interviews, 15 of which are from American players. On the ASAP site, a site which a lot of people probably don't visit, there are over 40 interviews! Why can't the Cincy site post ALL interviews?? Most of the ones that were skipped are from the number one player in the world and the other semi finalists :mad: Did it ever occor to them that some people might want to hear about those people? Also, who ever knew Lleyton Hewitt visited children's hospitals? If the ATP want to market these players how about they tell us this stuff instead of just writing about the tired issues like what happened at the USO :confused:

Goonergal
08-13-2002, 03:37 PM
Bravo Angie! :D You should e-mail this to Wertheim!

Murkofan
08-13-2002, 03:40 PM
One more thing while I'm at it.

This is what Lleyton said:

Q. Do you ever enjoy doing interviews or are they always like a task?

LLEYTON HEWITT: No, I enjoy doing them. Everyone keeps saying about Australia media, but there's Australia media that I talk to all the time. But it's not always on an interview basis, it is on a friendship basis talking about the footie back home stuff like that. There's only been a few people in Australia who have sort of got on the wrong side with, I think both them against me and me against them. Apart from that, the Australian media has been fine, every time I go home I speak to, you know, all the networks when I arrive home, I have been speaking to reporters who -- Australians who work in London and also in Australia over the last few weeks as well. I think -- I enjoy it some interviews. Obviously if it always adds up, it becomes a bit of a chore. I did an interview a couple of weeks ago with the L.A. times and it was fun. I really enjoyed it. They are the kind of interviews I think that are better when -- I thought it was a 15 minute interview, we ended up talking for over an hour because just kept rolling, and I got no problem with that

And this is what Wertheim said:

Hewitt, you see, likes giving interviews roughly as much as he does losing matches. And he has a special vendetta against ESPN.

Of course, Wertheim knows more about what Lleyton likes and feels than Lleyton himself does. :rolleyes:

lurker
08-13-2002, 06:07 PM
Grrr....Usually Wertheim is insightful and funny but this is downright mean. Who says an athlete is obligated to give interviews? Who cares? I, for one, don't give a rat's ass about all those stupid fuzzy photo shoot/interviews they stick on inbetween games in matches. I'd rather see the athlete for who they are, on the court. I like the oncourt after match interviews, I prefer seeing the victory speeches...the prematch interviews are about as exciting as Cliff Drysdale and PMac kissing Rodprick's ass yet again.

If I were an elite athlete trying to be the best at what I do, giving 100% to the game and preparation, I'd be annoyed at the time media takes away from prematch time. Especially when they treat you as badly as ESPN does. If ESPN wants an interview, they should cower to the athlete, come to their door and on their time. And if they do the interview, they'd better show it on TV. How many times do you think certain interviews are cut or edited before we get to them? It's no secret ESPN wants the US boys to look good...they are not going to make anyone they 'don't like' come off looking good.

At the US Open last year, they couldn't wait to pounce on Hewitt after the Blake match. The truth is, he said nothing wrong. If he implied racism, he actually implied reverse racism was in effect against him...this does not make him a racist. And the media couldn't wait to blow everything out of proportion. If he weren't such a rising star and threat to US tennis players, they wouldn't have batted an eye at his remarks. Nobody made such a big deal when Jeff Tarango's wife beat up on an umpire at Wimbledon. That to me is far worse. Nobody cared too much when Agassi called a Wimbledon line judge by a crass name...noone cares how many TMS events he pulls out of. I recall Jim Courier blowing his fuse and looking ugly and threatening to lines judges on court many times. No one made a big deal out of that.

Lleyton could play along and take the high road, but I'm glad he's not. He's exposing the American and world media for what they are: slimy anything-for-a-buck whores.

Murkofan
08-13-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by lurker

Who says an athlete is obligated to give interviews? Who cares? I, for one, don't give a rat's ass about all those stupid fuzzy photo shoot/interviews they stick on inbetween games in matches.

If I were an elite athlete trying to be the best at what I do, giving 100% to the game and preparation, I'd be annoyed at the time media takes away from prematch time. Especially when they treat you as badly as ESPN does. If ESPN wants an interview, they should cower to the athlete, come to their door and on their time. And if they do the interview, they'd better show it on TV. How many times do you think certain interviews are cut or edited before we get to them?

At the US Open last year, they couldn't wait to pounce on Hewitt after the Blake match. The truth is, he said nothing wrong. If he implied racism, he actually implied reverse racism was in effect against him...this does not make him a racist. And the media couldn't wait to blow everything out of proportion.

I agree with all of that whole-heartedly, Lurker. :D

irma
08-13-2002, 07:21 PM
I really don't understand that interview thing, steffi always refused interviews especially with the german press but I never heard she got a fine.
are the rules for the wta different?:o

tennischick
08-13-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by lurker
...At the US Open last year, they couldn't wait to pounce on Hewitt after the Blake match. The truth is, he said nothing wrong. If he implied racism, he actually implied reverse racism was in effect against him...this does not make him a racist. And the media couldn't wait to blow everything out of proportion. If he weren't such a rising star and threat to US tennis players, they wouldn't have batted an eye at his remarks. Nobody made such a big deal when Jeff Tarango's wife beat up on an umpire at Wimbledon. That to me is far worse. Nobody cared too much when Agassi called a Wimbledon line judge by a crass name...noone cares how many TMS events he pulls out of. I recall Jim Courier blowing his fuse and looking ugly and threatening to lines judges on court many times. No one made a big deal out of that.

you were going so well until you got to the above. the truth is that the media made a HUGE deal out of every single one of those incidents that you mentioned. every single one. i don't know where you were hiding at the time but all of these events got covered ad nauseam in the media and the folks involved had more than their 15 minutes of shame. not literally of course.

and i don't know if you're exaggerating for effect but Tarango's wife never beat up the umpire. she slapped him. that was wrong; it showed her to be a classless, uncouth individual. and the media said so -- ad nauseam!

but to defend Hewitt's racist statements against James Blake! wow. now Hewitt is the victim. unbe-fricking-lievable. i'm all for dropping this topic (many of his fans have chosen to do just that and for the most part i respect their wishes and i don't bring it up). but i'm damned if i will ignore your replaying this event and turning that scrawny punk-assed freak into a victim! the only victim that day was James Blake and as far as i am concerned, he handled it as too much of a gentleman. i despised James for being such the nice Black boy that he wimped out and wouldn't call that racist fuckhead exactly what he was. and i despised the ATP for not taking a firm stance against Hewitt. well now they have the #1 they deserve. let them figure out a way to market men's tennis with a #1 player who is more unpopular by the day.

did you hear the way the crowds were rooting for Moya in Cincy? well it's just begun. your poor 'victim' will have to face more of the same. fine with me.

Angele
08-13-2002, 09:36 PM
Let's turn this thing around shall we ? Picture this and warning: I am in no way defending Lleyton's actions just, shedding a new light on them ok?

Australian Open 2001, second round: Lleyton Hewitt vs. James Blake! James gets called for two foot faults. Twice by the same white, australian line judge! James says something to the effect of look at him *pointing to the line judge* and look at him *pointing at lleyton* and you tell me what the similarity is! Instantly Lleyton would become the poor little victim right? WRONG! The US papers/tv networks would be in an uproar about the "blatant racism" that still exists in the world today and how sad it is to see something like that in this day and age.

And anyway for the record whoever is calling Lleyton a racist is also a racist right? Because you are accusing Lleyton of being a racist because he accused somebody else of being a racist... making you a racist too since you are guilthy of the exact same thing Lleyton is...

Murkofan
08-13-2002, 10:21 PM

you were going so well until you got to the above. the truth is that the media made a HUGE deal out of every single one of those incidents that you mentioned. every single one. i don't know where you were hiding at the time but all of these events got covered ad nauseam in the media and the folks involved had more than their 15 minutes of shame. not literally of course.

and i don't know if you're exaggerating for effect but Tarango's wife never beat up the umpire. she slapped him. that was wrong; it showed her to be a classless, uncouth individual. and the media said so -- ad nauseam!

but to defend Hewitt's racist statements against James Blake! wow. now Hewitt is the victim. unbe-fricking-lievable. i'm all for dropping this topic (many of his fans have chosen to do just that and for the most part i respect their wishes and i don't bring it up). but i'm damned if i will ignore your replaying this event and turning that scrawny punk-assed freak into a victim! the only victim that day was James Blake and as far as i am concerned, he handled it as too much of a gentleman. i despised James for being such the nice Black boy that he wimped out and wouldn't call that racist fuckhead exactly what he was. and i despised the ATP for not taking a firm stance against Hewitt. well now they have the #1 they deserve. let them figure out a way to market men's tennis with a #1 player who is more unpopular by the day.

did you hear the way the crowds were rooting for Moya in Cincy? well it's just begun. your poor 'victim' will have to face more of the same. fine with me.

:wavey: TC. Just for the record, I am willing to hash this whole thing out with you any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I don't know anything about all the Courier/Tarango's wife stuff, so I won't comment on that.

And I really can't say whether or not the US media blew the whole "Blake Incident" out of proportion or not, as tennis is not very prevalent where I live.

Having said that, though, I will comment on the Incident itself. I've seen the tape of the match and I know what happened, as I'm sure most of us do.

Imo, Lleyton wasn't being racist. He was implying that the black linesman was being biased towards his black opponent. In all honesty, I doubt that was true, but stranger things have happened. And I personally wouldn't go about expressing myself as Lleyton chose to, but then again I'm not one of the world's top athletes playing in the heat in front of a huge crowd and getting beaten by someone who's ass I should be kicking.

Anyway, that's how I see the whole Incident. Did Blake handle himself like a gentleman? You bet, and more power to him. Do I see Lleyton as a victim? No, but then again, I don't see anyone else a particular victim either, as there was no crime committed. And saying that he's a scrawny, punk-assed racist fuckhead freak? Unbe-fricking-lievable.

Scotso
08-13-2002, 10:29 PM
Let me also say that TC is the fan of a guy who purposely hit a ball at a lineswoman who caught him swearing.

KaseyL
08-13-2002, 10:46 PM
:rolleyes:

Let me first say that the alledged racist story is as much out of place in this thread as agassi is at the hairdresser's.

Then, second, I think I am going to put a bet on about how many times this alledged racist story is going to pop up and up each time that Lleyton is in the picture. :rolleyes: Speaking of milking the cow, geeeee... is sour milk by now, I'd say.

KaseyL
08-13-2002, 11:13 PM
As to the topic itself, and by this I mean the original topic about Lleyton's fine, I am convinced that the ATP wanted to make an example.

The fine is totally out of proportion, as others said in here.

Then to what triggered the row between ATP and Lleyton,
it's a long time I have read so much nonsense.

Nonsense from the side of the ATP to start with, and then Wertheim, to name one.

Furthermore, I find it a real shame that the ATP is in a fight with the number one player, speaking of promoting the game, :rolleyes: they should be ashamed.

As to Lleyton not being helpful in doing his press duties, that is so over the edge. Angele's post in here speaks for itself.
Not to mention Lleyton's own interviews, as Marly pointed out in one of her posts.

However it must be said that Lleyton has still room for improvement when it comes to his PR, but that's another topic, as I haven't heard of a rule yet that players get fines for only doing a minimum of press interviews and just doing their duties.

On a side note, I would like to see the day that the ATP would be as fiery in disclosing the names and exposing their players on dope than they are actually going after one of the best players on tour.

I think I rather will see Lleyton and others getting more outrageous fines than that the ATP is finally going to be serious about what really is a danger to the tour.

Angele
08-13-2002, 11:20 PM
Well done Ingrid!

*gives Ingrid a standing ovation*

Scotso
08-14-2002, 12:16 AM
*joins angele*

Murkofan
08-14-2002, 12:25 AM
*joins them both*

warfreakbix
08-14-2002, 04:47 AM
Who is TC's favorite player anyway?

lurker
08-14-2002, 04:51 AM
Not to keep picking at the worms I let roll out of the can, but to answer KaseyL, the "racist story" is a perfect example of how badly Lleyton is treated by the media. ( And the fine was imposed because of Lleyton's avoidance of the media.) I saw the Blake match-incident without benefit of media commentary. I did not in any way feel what happened painted Lleyton as a racist, yet that is exactly what the media wrote. And as you know, what is written must be true:rolleyes:. Hewitt might have conducted himself a little better, but his actions were not racist. The media could have said he acted disgracefully, etc etc but they had to pull the race card because that's what sells. (Sorry tennischick, I don't agree with your diatribe because you're implying that I'm painting Lleyton as the victim of racism...I'm not. He is a victim of the media.)

As for the mention of Agassi and others, it is just to point out that while these people did such atrocious things, they are not being continually punished for it. Quite the opposite, the media are very quick to give Agassi excuses for pulling out of TMS events at the last minute and quickly moving on to something else.. And as long as he is their cash cow and continues to oblige them with fluffy interview pieces, they'll continue to kiss up.

Jackie
08-14-2002, 05:18 AM
All I have to say is good luck to Lleyton with the appeal.

Chloe le Bopper
08-14-2002, 05:40 AM
TC has a lot of favourite players, and is entitled to her opinion. I would not advise going to war on the Argentine players btw, as you'll have a lot of opposition ;)

She is from the USA, and as far as I know - racial issues are a pretty big deal there (so i keep being told anyhow).

I dont agree that Hewitt is a racist over that, but we all interpret things differently.

If we did not, then life would be boring.

Is this wtaworld and no one told me?

Chloe le Bopper
08-14-2002, 05:42 AM
Too bad Wertheim couldn't tell us what this "special vendetta" Lleyton has against ESPN is all about.

He should have a vendetta against ESPN - it sucks :p

tennischick
08-14-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by GoLleyt
Let me also say that TC is the fan of a guy who purposely hit a ball at a lineswoman who caught him swearing.

and you know what? i was as critical of him as i was of Hewitt. in fact his behavior IMO was even more deplorable bec he''s supposed to be older and wiser now and comes across like this philosophical person. so his behavior that day -- when he deliberately threw the ball at the lineswoman and i believe also cussed her -- was totally unacceptable. just bec i'm a fan of someone's TENNIS doesn't mean that i defend indefensible behavior. just for the record.

AdriRob
08-14-2002, 12:17 PM
posted by Becca:
If they want to market the sport they should have them parade around court in boxer breifs.

LOL..........LOL......LOL.....

:D

Chloe le Bopper
08-14-2002, 08:11 PM
Adrirob, its true isn't it? ;)

tennischick
08-15-2002, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by angele87
Let's turn this thing around shall we ? Picture this and warning: I am in no way defending Lleyton's actions just, shedding a new light on them ok?

Australian Open 2001, second round: Lleyton Hewitt vs. James Blake! James gets called for two foot faults. Twice by the same white, australian line judge! James says something to the effect of look at him *pointing to the line judge* and look at him *pointing at lleyton* and you tell me what the similarity is! Instantly Lleyton would become the poor little victim right? WRONG! The US papers/tv networks would be in an uproar about the "blatant racism" that still exists in the world today and how sad it is to see something like that in this day and age.

And anyway for the record whoever is calling Lleyton a racist is also a racist right? Because you are accusing Lleyton of being a racist because he accused somebody else of being a racist... making you a racist too since you are guilthy of the exact same thing Lleyton is...

angele we can't turn these things around bec we don't have to. tennis is a white-dominated sport and black/african-american players face the reality that you define all the time, on a daily basis. on court, in the locker-room, on tour, they are surrounded constantly by a sea of white faces. i'm sure that there is more victimization that we probably even hear about. and there would be no need for a black player to point at anyone bec he could literally spend all day pointing.

as for the James Blake incident. recall that hewitt himself denied that when he pointed to James Blake and to the african-american linesman that he was referring to their race. he denied this. he insisted that it was not a reference to their racial similarity but that he was making another point regarding the linesman position. it was his denial of a racial interpretation to his reference that subsequently got him accused of being racist. in other words, many folks interpreted his denial as a cowardly act in which he was weaseling out of a public declaration that the linesman was basically cheating for James bec they were both black. never mind that 99% of the viewing audience came to this conclusion, hewitt denied it.

am i racist? you're perfectly entitled to your opinion. but i was under the impression that we were going to avoid bashing each other and stick to discussing tennis and its players!

i've never bashed you for being a fan of hewitt's. i've never jumped to the conclusion that that makes YOU racist bec you choose to support him. please don't make assumptions about me. that's offensive. altho' there are many Williams fans who may agree with you bec i don't like Venus either and on wtaworld (and other tennis boards) that's enuf to make you racist.

frankly nothing you or any other member of hewitt's fan club has said has changed my mind. scotso/goLleyt's reference to Agassi is offensive bec it assumes that i am so fucking blinded by fandom that i would never criticise Agassi. that is such shit. in fact my major respect for Agassi comes from the fact that he had the guts to marry a woman who has accomplished far more than he ever has or ever will. i admire his balls and his game. but if he or any other of my faves says or does shit, i say so.

my true loves are the Argentinians and the Spanish. but even so, i won't ever perceive an attack on THEM as an attack on ME so i will not feel moved to defend them against any negative opinions. like i said in another thread, my self-identity is in no way caught up in the vicissitudes of my faves' performances.

and to lurker: you're implying that hewitt is a victim of the media. i disagree. in all fairness to hewitt, the word "victim" just doesn't spring to mind when you watch him. he is an intense, scrappy fighter. he is nobody's victim, least of all the media's. he made certain choices and now he has to deal with their consequences. maybe he's just a spoilt brat as Werthem implies. i don't know.

personally i think hewitt is a shit. nevertheless i admire his tenacity and his talent. i will -- in most cases root for his opponent. unless he is playing against the Android. in which case i actually root for him.

Scotso
08-15-2002, 02:57 AM
breathe TC :rolleyes:

you're obviously personally offended that we like Lleyton, but you'll just have to get over it, because we always will.

tennischick
08-15-2002, 02:59 AM
breathe TC :rolleyes:

you're obviously personally offended that we like Lleyton, but you'll just have to get over it, because we always will.

another wrong assumption. what can i say? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Murkofan
08-15-2002, 03:10 AM

as for the James Blake incident. recall that hewitt himself [b]denied that when he pointed to James Blake and to the african-american linesman that he was referring to their race. he denied this. he insisted that it was not a reference to their racial similarity but that he was making another point regarding the linesman position. it was his denial of a racial interpretation to his reference that subsequently got him accused of being racist. in other words, many folks interpreted his denial as a cowardly act in which he was weaseling out of a public declaration that the linesman was basically cheating for James bec they were both black.

Okay, so you're saying that Lleyton denied the fact that what he said was racially motivated. Then why do you insist on thinking it was? I know it's hard to comprehend being an American, but not every issue has to involve race, regardless of what your opinion of this specific matter is.

What do you think would've happened had Lleyton said made that declaration that he thought the linesman was cheating for Blake because they're both black?

never mind that 99% of the viewing audience came to this conclusion, hewitt denied it.

Hmm. Could that possibly be a wrong assumption on behalf of the viewing audience? :rolleyes:

Dissident
08-15-2002, 03:13 AM
oh Christ!
It was taking long.... :rolleyes:

tennischick
08-15-2002, 03:15 AM
I know it's hard to comprehend being an American, but not every issue has to involve race, regardless of what your opinion of this specific matter is.

i can't respond to this. sorry but i hate it when people make assumptions about me. yes i was born in america but the influences that shaped my character were not entirely american. i do not even live in the US!

peace out.

Static
08-15-2002, 03:22 AM
Please lets not make this in to WTA world :o And please lets drop the US open issue!

Hmmm Tennischick you have a good point, I kind of agree that Hewitt brought it on to himself, but I guess what many people were bothered with is the value of the fine. I'm wondering though, what if this interview was to happen in another country, would they fine him to such extent or at all? Like Irma said that Steffi didn't do some interviews and she didn't get fined for it.

Scotso
08-15-2002, 03:25 AM
TC, you're setting off my Fat-Dar :o

tennischick
08-15-2002, 03:26 AM
yeah this place is beginning to feel like wtaworld what with all the personal attacks. i didn't know that liking hewitt was a pre-requisite for posting on this board!

yeah Static i think the fine is steep. but i also think he had it coming and i'm sure he will be more amenable to the media from here on in. i honestly hope he wins the appeal -- and i hope even more that he changes his anti-media stance.

tennischick
08-15-2002, 03:28 AM
TC, you're setting off my Fat-Dar :o

sorry i can't remember what this means. i know that becca started it but i've forgotten what it means. if you're joking, lol. if you're not, well...peace out to you too.

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 03:29 AM
Fat dar was my creation, and I dont like it being used against TC :rolleyes:

Tc - some of us see reason in what you are saying, so go on :)

Murkofan
08-15-2002, 03:29 AM

i can't respond to this. sorry but i hate it when people make assumptions about me.

And yet you make assumptions about what Lleyton said. However, I apologize for making an assumption about you; I'd hate to be accused of going all WTAworld on someone. :o

tennischick
08-15-2002, 03:31 AM
Fat dar was my creation, and I dont like it being used against TC :rolleyes:

Tc - some of us see reason in what you are saying, so go on :)

i have to go offline now. will talk tomorrow but more than likely not about this. this is not a discussion. it's hewitt fans on the attack. i have no use for that -- i could have stayed at wtaworld if that's what i wanted to deal with.

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 03:32 AM
There is a difference between talking about something that a player did, and making assumptions on posters, based on their opinion of a player.

Man, it even sounds stupid :p

Scotso
08-15-2002, 03:33 AM
It's self defense. What do you expect?

Of course the Fat-Dar was a joke.

And what Marly says is true, you keep spouting for us not to make assumptions about you, but against Lleyton's word you ASSUME that he was racially motivated. Not exactly fair is it?

tennischick
08-15-2002, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Marly

And yet you make assumptions about what Lleyton said. However, I apologize for making an assumption about you; I'd hate to be accused of going all WTAworld on someone. :o

i'm not making an assumption about hewitt -- i didn't pull an assumption out of the air based on no facts! i made an interpretation of event. it was and is my opinion and i was not alone in my view. but i accept that this topic is a touchy one for hewitt fans so i am quite prepared to drop it.

thanks for the apology...i think...

Static
08-15-2002, 03:34 AM
Bye TC :wavey:
I'm a Hewitt fan and I would never attack you :D

Oooo I wish Lleyton was doing more media friendly things :D I want him to do one of those "Breakfast with Jim Courier" ! I'd love that :drool: I'm sure Jim would too :p ;)

tennischick
08-15-2002, 03:35 AM
It's self defense. What do you expect?

Of course the Fat-Dar was a joke.

And what Marly says is true, you keep spouting for us not to make assumptions about you, but against Lleyton's word you ASSUME that he was racially motivated. Not exactly fair is it?

it can only be self-defence if i was attacking YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i really need to go offline. bye all.

tennischick
08-15-2002, 03:37 AM
There is a difference between talking about something that a player did, and making assumptions on posters, based on their opinion of a player.

thanks Becca. i appreciate your rationality. ;)

Poe
do i have to start handing out spankings?

Static
Poe, do you want to have breakfast with Jim Courier?

Poe
08-15-2002, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Static
Poe, do you want to have breakfast with Jim Courier?

um i would but i have to wash my hair... or something

Dissident
08-15-2002, 03:38 AM
Geesh, this is so stupid.
Why do some people act as if they were 15?
Sometimes we should respond with facts and opinions. I interpreted the incident the same way TC did. Some people jumped to her neck just because she said she didnt like something Hewitt did.
I mean, seriously, go back there and read some of those posts again.

Chill pills needed all around... :p

Static
08-15-2002, 03:39 AM
But he'd sing a song for you!

luvbadboys
08-15-2002, 03:39 AM
I don't want to upset anyone but I always felt that although LLeyton brings a lot trouble on his head, his management is really subpar. This whole issue with the interview does not make sense to me. I mean mustn't all requests for interviews be processed through one's agent? Since the interviews were required, shouldn't his agent be aware of that and let LLeyton know. The assumption is that he knew he would have to do the interview. Maybe I've seen to many Arli$$ shows, but isn't the duty of an agent to placate a difficult client and ensure that his image is protected? Am I to understand that before the ATP made their fine announcement, noone in his management team tried to diffuse the situation? ex. agent: "I promise he'll do ## interviews next week and clinics during the offseason if you don't fine him"
I mean I don't think the ATP are such jerks that they could not negotiate.

As to the USOPEN2001/James Blake thing, I agree I don't thnk what he said on court was racist but the statement he made after the**** hit the fan was appalling. A simple "this is what I meant I did not mean to offend anyone and if I have I am sincerely sorry" would have taken care of the matter. His agent should have known how to diffuse that situation to. Which leads me to this conclusion: Lleyton needs an American agent or at the very least an agent who understands American culture and the American art called spin.

On the other hand , the responsibility for all these gaffes could be entirely on Lleyton's shoulders, in which case there are other issues involved but I doubt it. No man is an island and yada yada yada you know what I'm saying.;)

Static
08-15-2002, 03:40 AM
I know people can't take anything lightly anymore :o I'm getting scared of the Lleykis!

Dissident
08-15-2002, 03:43 AM
Its not about american culture at all. Its about being nice.

Static
08-15-2002, 03:45 AM
luvbadboys, you could be right, but I doubt that his management would be so negligen about Lleyton when he is a top player. I think that it's mostly Lleyton's fault rather than his management, but he'll learn to deal with it :o

Scotso
08-15-2002, 03:47 AM
*bounces Ana on his knee - and into the Lleyton forum for a minute :p *

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 03:48 AM
pft, Here I was thinking that this thread had major potential to become the first closed thread on ATPworld and everyone calmed down :(

Static
08-15-2002, 03:49 AM
Scotso you scare me... attacking people for disliking Lleyton !*slap* Now don't ever do it again :p

Static
08-15-2002, 03:50 AM
pft, Here I was thinking that this thread had major potential to become the first closed thread on ATPworld and everyone calmed down :(

I should have stayed out of it... me being an idiot really screws everything up :o Sorry Becca :( ;)

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 03:52 AM
I dont understand what it was all about really :p

I mean you are all welcome to make opinions of Ferrero based on specific incidents, I assure you that I will still support him and could not care less:p

Poe
08-15-2002, 03:53 AM
i think it was the threat of spankings that did it

we have a different disciplinary system here...

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 03:56 AM
I'm not sure about that Poe, these people seem to like Spankings :D

Static
08-15-2002, 03:56 AM
Poe you are the all mighty :o
ATPworld is turning evil :(

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 03:59 AM
Yes Static and we all know who is to blame :D

Scotso
08-15-2002, 03:59 AM
i'm not making an assumption about hewitt -- i didn't pull an assumption out of the air based on no facts! i made an interpretation of event. it was and is my opinion and i was not alone in my view. but i accept that this topic is a touchy one for hewitt fans so i am quite prepared to drop it.

Yes, that's nice. But you're also the one that brought it up in the first place.

Anyway, I don't have anything else to say about this.

Static
08-15-2002, 04:00 AM
Jim Courier? I'm sure his songs did this to us!

Murkofan
08-15-2002, 04:01 AM

i have to go offline now. will talk tomorrow but more than likely not about this. this is not a discussion. it's hewitt fans on the attack. i have no use for that -- i could have stayed at wtaworld if that's what i wanted to deal with.

How have we attacked you? Disagreed with you, yes, and questioned your opinions on the matter, certainly, but attacked?

Well, yes, that does sound stupid. However, I was basing my assumption of TC's nationality based on her flag, not her opinion of Lleyton. Don't make assumptions about my assumptions. :o :p

Okay, I'm down with that. And the apology was sincere, btw.

luvbadboys
08-15-2002, 04:06 AM
Sorry hitman but I don't mean to go "yankee imperialism" on you but it is about American culture because a significant percentage of the $ in tennis is here and unfortunately American media is dominant ( not all encompassing but definitely a force to be reckoned with) so if a player does not have agents with contacts and who knows how to work the system. The player will be screwed. That's why Don King in spite of prison time, tax evasion and sexual harassment suits is still on top of the boxing game. That's why Bush is president and Clinton was not impeached: SPIN, SPIN, SPIN.

I don't mean to offend you and if I have I am sincerely sorry:D

Dissident
08-15-2002, 04:16 AM
Well, many other players dont have an USAmerican agent either, and they dont get in trouble.
Why? Because they try to stay away from "polemic" statements, they dont shout looking at the opponents face and they dont smash flowers in the court.
Those attitudes are about being nice. And doing those things that make the public have the eyes set on you on a different way. Hewitt as a tennis player is just fabulous. No doubt about that: but as a nice guy, he is nothing but a bad padawan.

And of course you didnt offend me. I dont get offended through internet talk. Thats silly. :D

luvbadboys
08-15-2002, 04:24 AM
That's exactly my point a good agent is effective regardless of the character of his client. Anybody could be president of CAA or IMG (big PR companies) if all stars and athletes were darlings.

And yes I am basing a lot of what I'm saying on the fictional show Arli$$. Hope I don't come off like a complete idiot (an idiot I don't mind)

Jackie
08-15-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by hitman

Those attitudes are about being nice. And doing those things that make the public have the eyes set on you on a different way. Hewitt as a tennis player is just fabulous. No doubt about that: but as a nice guy, he is nothing but a bad padawan.

What is a padawan?

Angele
08-15-2002, 10:38 AM
tc I'm not making you a racist I'm just trying to make sense out of all this!

The ppl that hate Lleyton solely because of the USO incident hate Lleyton because they call him a racist right? And what do they percieve Lleyton did? Call a linesman a racist right? So if Lleyton calling a linesman a racist makes him a racist what does that make the people calling Lleyton a racist? Or perhaps I'm missing something here!

Anyways if I offended you TC I really didn't mean to... I have nothing against you personally!

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 10:58 AM
Well, yes, that does sound stupid. However, I was basing my assumption of TC's nationality based on her flag, not her opinion of Lleyton. Don't make assumptions about my assumptions.

:sigh: Why do I bother :o

I stuck my tongue out, and said that ridiculous scrabble of words because I found it rather amusing.

I thought that it was rather obvious, or I would have put 16 or so ;)'s after it.

There is always next time.

Jackie
08-15-2002, 01:10 PM
I'm totally lost. This topic has gone too far. I can't even keep track of people's opinions anymore

Murkofan
08-15-2002, 01:18 PM

:sigh: Why do I bother :o

I stuck my tongue out, and said that ridiculous scrabble of words because I found it rather amusing.

I thought that it was rather obvious, or I would have put 16 or so ;)'s after it.

There is always next time.

Gee, what smilies were there after my post? A :o and a--well, gee whiz, if it isn't one of these :p.

I would've thought it obvious I found things rather amusing as well.

Oh well.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 01:26 PM
If you want to be condesending towards me cause you are annoyed about my thread, then go ahead.

But lets not *pretend* its about something else ;)

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 01:28 PM
In fact, since no one can take a fucking joke around here- why don't you all just jump on the "pick on becca bandwagon".

I'm a big girl, I can take it.

Jackie
08-15-2002, 01:31 PM
Now I'm even more lost

Goonergal
08-15-2002, 01:38 PM
I'm with you Untitled I got back here and there was nearly double the replies from like 2days ago :eek:

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 01:40 PM
Who is up for a big old group hug?

Dissident
08-15-2002, 01:52 PM
A Padawan is someone who is being trained by a Jedi Master. :p
So, an apprentice (or whatever you write it).

PS - Thats why I wrote padawan, I cant spell the other word. And I had to look like a smart guy in this thread. Well, so long for my cover...... :o

Ps - I edited that bit... Thanks Becca. :p

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 01:55 PM
Apprentice :D

Murkofan
08-15-2002, 02:50 PM
If you want to be condesending towards me cause you are annoyed about my thread, then go ahead.

But lets not *pretend* its about something else ;)

Which thread are you talking about? You've started quite a few on this message board, so you're going to have to be more specific. ;)

And actually, I didn't think I was being condescending, I was just trying to model my post after your own. Unless you were trying to be condescending, in which case I suppose I was too by default. :o :p ;)

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 02:54 PM
I dont have time to argue with you - I'm not patient enough.

I'm really not - certain people seem to be enjoying my thread and if people are going to get their panties in a knot about it and write pages about me in their own threads, then I am glad to have been of service.

The end.

Murkofan
08-15-2002, 03:56 PM
Whatever you say, Rebecca.

Angele
08-15-2002, 04:00 PM
Hi Marly :wavey:

Murkofan
08-15-2002, 04:02 PM
Hi Angele! :wavey:

Angele
08-15-2002, 04:06 PM
Where's Scott? I'm sure he's hating that he's missing this whole thing ;) :o

Murkofan
08-15-2002, 04:14 PM
He's asleep, I would imagine. After all, he was up until like 7 AM last night. :o I would've been too, if not for school starting on Monday ( :o ) and that fact that I was tripping out on a combination of Big Red and 3 Tylenol PMs. :o I don't recommend that, btw. :o :o

In any case, everything will be waiting for him when he gets back. ;) :p

Lily
08-15-2002, 04:45 PM
Just 3 things....

Why do you need to beat Pete at Wimby to have breakfast with Courier? Federer didn't. ;)

To go from Agassi to Clinton I can understand (FO 2001), but to go from Hewitt to Clinton, I dont get.

This thread is more interesting than anything on TV.

okay, please continue :)

Scotso
08-15-2002, 06:42 PM
Becca, I know you say it doesn't, but it seems to me these things are getting to you.

It's only a message board. They're only internet people. Don't let it bother you.

Poe
08-15-2002, 07:40 PM
and here i thought i was a real person :sad: *sniff*

TennisHack
08-15-2002, 07:48 PM
What the hell happened to this thread?! Do you people not have lives?! :D

Static
08-15-2002, 07:50 PM
I don't think it's about Lleyton anymore :o

Angele
08-15-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Poe
and here i thought i was a real person :sad: *sniff*

*walks through Poe* nope, you're transparent, just like me, Scott, Marly and the rest of the fake people :sad:

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 09:09 PM
*walks through Poe* nope, you're transparent, just like me, Scott, Marly and the rest of the fake people

What the heck are you talking about? I don't seem to remember anyone *quite* saying that.

luvbadboys
08-15-2002, 09:27 PM
Guys it can't possibly be that serious;)

End it now and go to the CAN'T THINK OF A TITLE thread for good harmless fun:D

Shameless plug for my own brillance:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: ;)

Angele
08-15-2002, 09:40 PM
Its a THREAD ON A MESSAGE BOARD. I personalyl do not let my real life by effected by what people on a message board do. I just couldn't be bothered. You have seen the PM"s I get on WTAworld - i separate myself from it because it doesn't matter.

I'll comment on it when I have time :D

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 09:48 PM
No anglele, why dont you share you deep insight now.

Please, do tell.

Angele
08-15-2002, 10:13 PM
sorry Becca, I had to leave but I'm back now... no deep insight from me though :confused: You said you're real life as if we were fake people or something :p *pinching myself* No that hurts so I must be real ;) :D

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 10:18 PM
No I never said that you were fake people.

I await a quote from that bold insight though - I'm looking for the words"fake" specifically.

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 10:20 PM
What I am getting at is that you interpreted it wrong.

But it is always more fun to ASSume things and make it out to be the worst.

Angele
08-15-2002, 10:37 PM
What I am getting at is that you interpreted it wrong.

I must be.... sorry! For me, the friends I have on this board: Scott, Marly, Cilla, Ana etc... are real friends! I consider them part of my real life :rolleyes: If I had an arguement with them it would affect me, just as if I had an arguements with my friends that live in my town whom I talk to face to face!

And I didn't really assume anything... you said the people on here aren't part of real life... so what are we then :confused:

Scotso
08-15-2002, 10:41 PM
Let's just let this thread die.

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 10:45 PM
angele you have no idea wether or not arguements effect me, or who I am *freinds* wwith or not - you only know what I type on the board, and that is not a true reflection of myself.

So continue to jump into things that have NOTHING to do with you all you would like. Just don't wonder why I have no respect for your opinion whatsoever.

*lets it die*

Angele
08-15-2002, 10:51 PM
you only know what I type on the board, and that is not a true reflection of myself.

lmao! you said you didn't let yourself be affected by what people on a message board do... but i guess that's not a true reflection of yourself :confused: Whatever, I give up! You're making no sense to me at all what so ever!

*retreats to the forest*

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 10:52 PM
Exactly, you dont know me, and you are casting judgement and making ridiculous comments about me directly.

Angele
08-15-2002, 10:55 PM
Exactly, you dont know me, and you are casting judgement and making ridiculous comments about me directly.

Based 100% on what you write ABOUT YOURSELF on the board... how else can I figure out what kind of person you are :confused:

You said you're real life wasn't affected by what people on a message board do... then you tell me I have to idea if it affects you :confused: Make up your mind!

Chloe le Bopper
08-15-2002, 11:59 PM
:sigh:

It is a lost cause, from both sides.

Group Hug?

Static
08-16-2002, 12:04 AM
Ok lets end the fighting *hugs everyone* :D

tennischick
08-16-2002, 12:28 AM
How have we attacked you? Disagreed with you, yes, and questioned your opinions on the matter, certainly, but attacked?...]

gosh i guess it was all a figment of my imagination! clearly your apology was not necessary since you hadn't said anything to apologise for. and golleyt's "fat-dar" comment was just a joke...right...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well, yes, that does sound stupid. However, I was basing my assumption of TC's nationality based on her flag, not her opinion of Lleyton.

er...you were not making as assumption about my nationality but about my motivation. there was nothing to assume about my nationality -- the fricking flag appears under my ID! what you did was make an ASSUMPTION Americans are all obsessed with race and that bec i am American, i am too. i found this to be completely offensive and insulting. and yes i do accept your second apology.

having said this, i've lost complete track of this thread. i don't know if there are posts missing but nothing in the last two pages makes any sense. oh well, i'm sure i can do without understanding what's been going on to be honest. this place is going downhill fast. i guess you can take some kids out of wtaworld but you can''t take wtaworld out of some kids!:o :o :o

Angele
08-16-2002, 01:17 AM
i guess you can take some kids out of wtaworld but you can''t take wtaworld out of some kids!:o :o :o

So much for TC not resorting to personal "attacks" :rolleyes:

Murkofan
08-16-2002, 01:18 AM

I apologized out of a sense of propriety, not because I thought I'd done anything worth apologizing for. I was trying to :eek: be nice. So much for that endeavor. :rolleyes:

Frankly, I don't care if you were insulted by anything or not. That's your problem, not mine.

The only thing I'm going to "assume" from now on is that you become irrational when someone disagrees with you. Again, that's a personal problem. I will, however, make a suggestion--please, put us all on ignore. That way, you won't feel the need to bother us with more of your rhetoric.

Chloe le Bopper
08-16-2002, 01:24 AM
TC - I actually think that I was the first to bring up the Americans and race issues bit, not Dr Marly.

Appologies, as I didn't mean it as such :o

Chloe le Bopper
08-16-2002, 01:26 AM
SO I guess my group hug is out, eh?

Dissident
08-16-2002, 02:40 AM
Ok, this is just OVER stupid now.
Everyone has their opinions, and everyone is here because they *HUGE SHOCK* like the place.
So, please, lets keep it clean. We are getting record high rates of bullshit here today.

We dont have to like each other, we just have to respect each other. And please, lets have a good sense of humour.

Thats my two cents. Thanks for the attention.

Static
08-16-2002, 02:50 AM
This was much better when we were at the ATP section of WTAworld, atleast we had some discussions that didn't result in total crap.

Chloe le Bopper
08-16-2002, 03:44 AM
We have many good discussions around here, the bullshit has only came in the last couple days.

Amen, Hitman :kiss:

Dissident
08-16-2002, 04:55 AM
The bullshit is not spread all over yet. But we should cut it off while its not grown up in full power. :p

You know that having a nice place to talk is very hard. Transforming it in hell takes like 10 seconds. :)

Poe
08-16-2002, 10:30 AM
oh please... i can transform a place into hell in 5

Angele
08-16-2002, 10:58 AM
LOL Poe :kiss:

Chloe le Bopper
08-16-2002, 11:17 AM
I have you beat Poe, I just have to show up and it rubs people the wrong way :p

Dissident
08-16-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Poe
oh please... i can transform a place into hell in 5
:o OH! Thats why youīre called the fabulous cast iron bitch! :o

tennischick
08-16-2002, 01:59 PM

I apologized out of a sense of propriety, not because I thought I'd done anything worth apologizing for. I was trying to :eek: be nice. So much for that endeavor. :rolleyes:

Frankly, I don't care if you were insulted by anything or not. That's your problem, not mine.

The only thing I'm going to "assume" from now on is that you become irrational when someone disagrees with you. Again, that's a personal problem. I will, however, make a suggestion--please, put us all on ignore. That way, you won't feel the need to bother us with more of your rhetoric.

so i was right to question the sincerity of your apology. i don't think you should EVER apologise if you don't mean it. and i don't think you should make yourself be "nice" when you don't want to be. i prefer the honesty of your insults than the dishonesty of an apology you do not mean.

and if i end up having to put someone here on ignore that would be so much like wtaworld that i'd prefer to just stop posting.

tennischick
08-16-2002, 02:05 PM
So much for TC not resorting to personal "attacks" :rolleyes:

i only give back what i get angele. and you're all beginning to remind me of hewitt. :eek: :eek: now you should take that as a compliment, right? ;)

tennischick
08-16-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by hitman
The bullshit is not spread all over yet. But we should cut it off while its not grown up in full power. :p

You know that having a nice place to talk is very hard. Transforming it in hell takes like 10 seconds. :)

i totally agree. are there rules of conduct here as on wtaworld? or maybe we can develop our own and agree to stick to them? it would be a shame if this place also goes to the dogs. already the activity level in GM seems to be tapering off...

Angele
08-16-2002, 02:54 PM

i only give back what i get angele. and you're all beginning to remind me of hewitt. :eek: :eek: now you should take that as a compliment, right? ;)

oh I'm not saying there's anything wrong with personal attacks and I won't deny that I do it to... however I don't parade around like I'm better than everybody because I don't use personal attacks :rolleyes:

tennischick
08-16-2002, 03:06 PM
oh I'm not saying there's anything wrong with personal attacks and I won't deny that I do it to... however I don't parade around like I'm better than everybody because I don't use personal attacks :rolleyes:

i think there's a whole lot wrong with personal attacks which is why i NEVER initiate them. nothing ruins a discussion (or a board) faster then when people chose to personalise attacks on their faves. if someone says something negative about say, Agassi, i see no reason why i should see it as an attack on me. i am not Agassi -- i am me and the person wasn't attacking me!

an attack on hewitt is also not an attack on you personally. but if you chose to personalise it and then attack me, i'm damned if i'm going to roll over and play dead.

but i will never attack you first. i don't mean to sound holier than thou but it is my personal policy and i always stick to it. i have honestly never initiated a personal attack against anyone. and even when i am attacked, my first response is to PM the person and try to resolve it that way. ask dr. marly. and when that fails, well then my gloves come off.

Murkofan
08-16-2002, 04:42 PM

so i was right to question the sincerity of your apology. i don't think you should EVER apologise if you don't mean it. and i don't think you should make yourself be "nice" when you don't want to be. i prefer the honesty of your insults than the dishonesty of an apology you do not mean.

and if i end up having to put someone here on ignore that would be so much like wtaworld that i'd prefer to just stop posting.

Thanks for the lecture, teach.

:rolleyes: @ the insults. If you choose to think you've been attacked and insulted when all I've done is disagree with you, then go right ahead. I'm not going to waste my breath on you.

and even when i am attacked, my first response is to PM the person and try to resolve it that way. ask dr. marly. and when that fails, well then my gloves come off.

Resolve....what, exactly? The fact that see a certain thing from different points of view? Your PM said you were offended. I fail to see how that constitutes trying to "resolve" something, particularly when there's nothing to resolve in the first place.

But, you know, whatever you say.

dbc
08-16-2002, 10:12 PM
To go back to the subject.
Have just read an article where Cash defends Hewitt saying the ATP, having lost a mjor sponsor last year, are thinking up new ways to enhance the image of the Sport & these interviews seem to be one of them.
Would like to know how many of you agree with me in that if the ATP want to enhance the Sport they have to see that it gets far more coverage on TV & not be just led by greed into giving the rights to Pay TV stations that the majority of fans simply canot affor, or even worse, have no way of getting access to these Stations.

Jackie
08-17-2002, 02:26 AM
I totally agree...and it's about ime someone defended Hewitt. Since the incident our newspapers have been full of crap about how he's apparently not worthy of being no.1.

tennischick
08-17-2002, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the lecture, teach.

you're most welcome! i trust you and your Shithead cohorts actually learned something! and i stand by my position -- and anyone who chooses to read thru this thread will understand where i am coming from quite clearly.

now be a good Shithead fan and stop wasting your breath...as promised...:o :o

Scotso
08-17-2002, 03:02 AM
Wow TC...

you're letting your inner bitch show majorly.

tennischick
08-17-2002, 03:04 AM
yes i am -- for explanation see above...:o :o

luvbadboys
08-17-2002, 03:20 AM
This very issue is addressed by my best friend who posts on the gotennis message board. I will paraphrase her argument and add my own 2 cents.

Where the WTA went right and the ATP is screwing up is that the WTA for the past 10 yeasr has been promoting/supporting whatever player caught the public's imagination Steffi, Gabriela Monica, Arantxa, Martina, Anna K, Amanda Coetzer. They did not wait for another Chris Evert/Martina the First /Goolagong while consistenltly putting the amazing group of players coming up through the WTA ranks. The ATP however refuses to utilize a goldmine with
1) the Latin American players; the % of Latinos is growing in the US andthe ATP could therefore hit both the north and south american market

2) LLeyton Hewitt if there ever was the second coming of Johnny Mac this is it. Why not use every flare up to promote the ATP? Make him a villain if they have to I'm sure he won't care but instead of punishing him turn this into an ad campaign like "who will take him down" kindalike Mike Tyson at his peak.

3) Gorgeous Marat and James Blake plus Marat is a PLAYER!!! that always plays really well in the media remember the reaction in Australia with the bag-o-babes he was hauling around.

4) For the last 6 years Goran was one of the most colorful characters around do we see him anywhere?

5) Andre Agassi's extensive charity work

The ATP PR department also makes decisions that make no sense for example they plan to have Roddick hold a clinic in Harlem next week. Given that Hollywood, Golf and the WTA have realized the potential of the Black American market they have responded accordingly with Halle Berry Denzel Vin Diesel Tiger Woods and the Williams sisters, do you think it might have been a better idea to send James?:rolleyes: How many harlemites as opposed to yuppies from midtown manhattan do you think will show up?

In conclusion the ATP has no clue as to how to use the very thing they keep pushing as an answer to the WTA ie depth and diversity. Globalization is fact of life which seems to have completetly eluded the ATP. While they desperately try to find/push the next blond (American??????) talent on the tennis world, they might want to consider looking at the talent under their own noses.

I refuse to believe that Americans are so freaking closeminded that unless its a blond American on top they won't watch that does not explain Hingis's popularity in the US before the advent of the Williams sisters or AnnaK or Shakira or Enrique Salma Hayek or Antonio Banderas or the rise of subtitled Asian kung fu movies etc...

Advice to the atp : USE WHAT YOU GOT TO GET WHAT YOU WANT

luvbadboys
08-17-2002, 03:23 AM
I just realized this may be in the wrong thread but I am fed up with the ATP and its' tretment of not only LLeyton but of anyone not named Roddick who by the way has the cover of Tennis magazine:rolleyes:

Lily
08-17-2002, 06:57 AM
The ATP are a bunch of closed minded idiots.

Everything you said in your post, luvbadboys, is right. They're not using what they've got and they haven't for a long time. I dont think they truly know what they have or they dont want to admit it. Its time to stop waiting for/pushing/hyping young Americans. Enough! There is so much talent among all the male players its simply astounding. Hewitt, Safin, Federer and Guga just to name a few. They should be promoting these guys and stop waiting for Roddick to win something big. Americans would totally accept these guys if they knew them. But thats the problem....THEY DON"T KNOW THEM! And this is where its become very dangerous for the ATP. This is why the WTA is smart and the ATP is just stupid.

While Guga was #1, this was their best chance to promote him and they didnt. All throughout 2000 and 2001, everytime JohnnyMac was commentating one of his matches, he would always say how we had to promote him...how we should be promoting him...and then he would let the subject die and no one else would say anything about it. And now that Hewitt is #1, are they trying to promote him? Of course not. But they should. Americans love bad boys. They would cling to Hewitt in a second if they found out about his "bad behavior." But they would have to do that in a positive way. In a smart way and I dont think they're that smart. And Safin. Hello?? Bad Boy. Lady Charmer. Rebel. This guys got it all. He should be everywhere here. Yeah, he won the US Open. But now its like, so what. They didnt do anything with him and they could have done everything. They blew it. Is it too late? no. But they're wasting time.

What are they waiting for? Oh yeah, Roddick. I forgot. They're waiting for him to win a major. For his breakthrough. And then men's tennis will be ok. Well, no it wont! Roddick doesnt have charisma, he doesnt have that bad boy image, he isnt unique. He's dramatic in the wrong way and theres nothing that stands out about him like the other players.

As for Andy being on the cover of Tennis Mag, I think the only people who should be concerned are his fans. Jennifer was on the cover during the FO and Pete for Wimby. Its always a bad sign (for his fans).

Chloe le Bopper
08-17-2002, 09:23 AM
Nice post Lily, I second most of it :)

Jessi
08-17-2002, 10:04 AM
Excellent post Lily! :)

Goonergal
08-17-2002, 10:45 AM
Great Post Lily! :)

Angele
08-17-2002, 11:25 AM
*letting Shithead cohorts comment slip*

Greats pots lily and luvbadboys! I totally agree with you two :D

tennischick
08-17-2002, 12:07 PM
*wondering if to tell angele to piss off*

nice points Lily. i especially agree about the ATP's relentless focus on the young Americans. they did the same thing with the "old" Americans too -- Agassi and Sampras, Connor and MacEnroe. this has been going on a long time. in some corners the letters ATP are interpreted to mean American Tennis Players Association -- and that sux.

fcap
08-17-2002, 12:37 PM
Dose anyone think we could get a Mod to delete this whole threadand Move on?? I think that the best solution of them all!! :o:o And it would suit eveyrone soo much more than all this fighting and being silly!!

KaseyL
08-17-2002, 01:00 PM
Congrats to these in here who can stick to the topic!

Having read all the posts in this thread right now, I must add that I simply won't comment too much on all the charges, insinuations and all one could find in here. :rolleyes:
Like I posted some days ago, a lot in here is as much out of place as Agassi is at the hairdresser's lately.

Well, seriously, I sincerely hope that some people in here will finally come to their senses, stop insulting each other on a personal level that it's simply beyond embarrassment, and take themselves to another level and start behaving again.

I also can understand why some of my friends came in here as they felt being attacked and tried to defend themselves.

Therefore I hope everyone will learn something out of this incident and will try to focus on the purpose of what a message board should be: information, discussion based on intellect instead of wild accusations, making new friends, and simply having FUN and a great time with people with similar interests.

tennischick
08-17-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by KaseyL
...I also can understand why some of my friends came in here as they felt being attacked and tried to defend themselves.

how refreshingly objective...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tennischick
08-17-2002, 01:22 PM
Hewitt considers legal action

Lleyton Hewitt is considering legal action against the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) after being fined $103,000 at the Cincinnati Masters tournament last week.

Sydney's Sunday Telegraph newspaper reported that the world number one had referred the matter to his lawyers.

Australian Hewitt was fined by the ATP for not doing a television interview before a first-round match at the Cincinnati tournament.

But Hewitt argued that he had already agreed with the broadcaster, ESPN, to do the interview after the match.

"ESPN was satisfied with that," said Hewitt.

"(ATP boss) Mark Miles was satisfied with that and the tournament director was satisfied with that but there was one guy, the PR manager (Matt Rapp), who wasn't."

Hewitt has appealed against his fine but admitted he was disgruntled with the whole tour, which he described as a badly-run "circus".

"It's a great sport - if the ATP would just get out of the way," Hewitt told the Sunday Telegraph.

"I'll change my schedule next year if the ATP keep up with this garbage.

"You have to ask why men's tennis is struggling and you have to start by looking at the top.

"There are times you feel like (walking away) and pulling on the boots and playing footy (Australian football)."

Hewitt said he would sometimes rather be at home in Adelaide watching the Adelaide Crows AFL team.

bbc online

luvbadboys
08-17-2002, 06:16 PM
Good for him!!!

Finally some truth!

Tennischick and angele WTAWORLD

Chloe le Bopper
08-17-2002, 09:59 PM
luvbadboys, lets be fair - there are a few other posters who should be going over to wtaworld as well :angel:

um yes, and while I see why he is suing- maybe he'll learn something form this if he loses it.