Miscellaneous Lleyton articles 2004 [Archive] - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

Miscellaneous Lleyton articles 2004

Pages : 1 [2]

Jac7_bella
12-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Lleyton hits Bec's heartstrings

December 11, 2004

REBOUND ace Lleyton Hewitt has found a new love interest to get over the breakup of his engagement to Kim Clijsters - soap actress Bec Cartwright.

The pair are believed to be dating, with their first public outing together at Thursday night's Virgin Atlantic launch.

The couple chatted and smiled, making no secret of their new relationship before Sydney's social set.

They were happy to get on stage together after being prompted by Neighbours' star Blair McDonough.

Hewitt contacted Cartwright's people two weeks ago for her number, according to a source. Confidential understands Cartwright met Hewitt in Adelaide last week and drove to Sydney with him in his new $420,000 Ferrari.

Hewitt first met Cartwright at a Starlight Children's Foundation tennis charity day in Sydney in 1999, just months before hooking up with Clijsters who broke off their engagement late October.

Cartwright last week officially announced the break-up of her four-year relationship with fellow Home and Away star Beau Brady but that was believed to be finished weeks ago.

There had been rumours that Cartwright was seeing Russian-born dancer Michael Miziner, who she danced with on Seven's Dancing with the Stars.

Clijsters this week announced that she would not be coming to the Australian Open in January because of her chronic wrist injury, avoiding an awkward potential meeting with the new couple.

All eyes now will be on Cartwright and Hewitt during the Australian tennis season, which starts in Adelaide.

ally_014
12-12-2004, 12:13 AM
Another article from today:
Lleyton's a rebound ace
12dec04

LLEYTON Hewitt has taken his new love, Bec Cartwright, on a romantic interstate drive in his $420,000 sports car.

The rebounding tennis ace and the soapie star drove the sleek black Ferrari from Hewitt's home in Adelaide to Sydney, where this week they came out as a couple at a party thrown by Virgin boss Richard Branson.

They posed happily for photographers and told partygoers that they were dating.
And yesterday Cartwright confirmed she would be at Hewitt's side at next month's Australian Open. She admitted she knew nothing about tennis but would brush up on her knowledge before helping cheer him in the event.

"They are very happy with each other," Cartwright's manager, Stephen Harmon, said yesterday. "There is a good friendship established already, they get on really well and have a lot in common."

He said they admired each other's down-to-earth attitudes.

"It is not about him as a tennis player, it is about him as a person."

The tennis champ, 23, and actor, 21, have been friends for five years, but linked up after they both ended long-term relationships recently.

The world No. 3 tennis player was described by friends as "devastated" when dumped by Belgian fiancee Kim Clijsters by phone in October after a five-year relationship.

"He's angry, embarrassed, devastated, distraught – all of that stuff. He's been kicked in the guts," a friend said at the time.

But on court, he was in great form.

Hewitt clawed his way from 19th to 3rd in world rankings and featured in the US Open and Masters Cup finals.

Cartwright became one Australia's hottest stars after winning Channel 7's Dancing with the Stars last month, beating political maverick Pauline Hanson.

But off-screen, her life was tumultuous.

She split with her boyfriend of four years, fellow Home and Away star Beau Brady, and had been linked with her Dancing with the Stars partner Michael Miziner.

NOMAD
12-15-2004, 05:48 AM
 RASHEED RETURN: LLEYTON Hewitt wants to lure his coach out of retirement for a second time.
The world No. 3 will ask tournament directors Mark Woodforde and Peter Johnston for a doubles wild card in the Next Generation Hard Courts in Adelaide from January 3-9.

He has nominated Rasheed, who has played just one international tournament since 1993, as his partner.

"I'm looking forward to an opportunity to repeat what we did in Rotterdam," Hewitt said, referring to the pair's stunning first-round win in the Netherlands.

"We are really excited about the possibility of playing in Adelaide Ė Roger was awesome in Rotterdam."

Hewitt, 23, and Rasheed, 35, stunned the Dutch Davis Cup team of Raemon Sluiter and Martin Verkerk in the February tournament with a 6-4 6-1 thrashing.

Rasheed, forced off the international scene with a back complaint, stepped up when Hewitt's partner Mark Philippoussis withdrew from the tournament.

-------------------------------------------------

Hewitt can pass Roddick with some hometown luck
By DOUG ROBERTSON
13dec04
LLEYTON Hewitt might get an unexpected opportunity to overtake Andy Roddick in the world rankings in Adelaide next month and set up the prime Australian Open assault for the hometown hero.

If Hewitt reaches the semi-finals at the Next Generation Australian Harcourt Championships at Memorial Drive from January 3-9 he will amass enough ranking points to close in on the big-hitting American.

Roddick, who heads Hewitt by 65 ranking points, has not nominated a tournament to start the 2005 summer, potentially leaving an opening for Hewitt to ease into the No. 2 spot behind Swiss maestro Roger Federer.

If so, that would seat Hewitt on the opposite side of the Australian Open draw from Federer from January 17-30 and offer a pathway to a Grand Slam final without the obstacle of facing the best player in the world.

Roddick will get a wildcard into the Australian Hardcourts if one is requested or he might opt for one of the two season-opening tournaments at Chennai, India, or Doha, Qatar, as a wildcard.

"The No. 2 is not really in our sights," said coach Roger Rasheed, who worked Hewitt through a rigorous fitness regime in Sydney last week. "Our sights are basically looking after Lleyton's tennis game and making it bigger and stronger.

"With that, hopefully, the wins come and his ranking will look after itself."

Hewitt was a "more complete player" with better to come, Rasheed said.

Hewitt fired down more than 500 aces for the second time in three years.

"Generally, Lleyton's game is much better now than he's ever had," he said.

"He's more aggressive and going for a lot more shots. He serves better and there's more strength in his shots."

Starting the year at No. 19, Hewitt lurched to No. 3 with wins in Sydney, Rotterdam, Washington and Long Island and reaching the finals in seven other events, including a semi-final loss to Roddick at Queen's.

Hewitt faces strong opposition in Adelaide including world No. 12 Swede Joachim Johansson, the boyfriend of Hewitt's sister, Jaslyn, former No. 4 Nicolas Kiefer and American Taylor Dent.

"The field is a bit stronger than other years which is exactly what you want to start the year," Rasheed said.

"Hopefully, his form will peak coming into the Open but Lleyton is probably the best on the tour at jumping out after a rest. We trained ferociously last week and it's basically head-down-and-bum-up for the next few weeks."

Ashie_87
12-15-2004, 08:56 AM
:hug: thanks Tara! it sounds positive! hopefully he can get to the semis and I really hope Roger will play!:D

Turkeyballs Paco
12-15-2004, 08:20 PM
i don't know if this one is already posted...

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11703422%255E11088,00.html

Hewitt aiming for No. 1
Leo Schlink
16dec04

THE prospect of lowering world No. 1 Roger Federer's colours is the motivational force behind Lleyton Hewitt's pre-season zeal ahead of the centenary Australian Open.

Declaring he would "do anything to play that last match (the singles final) on that Sunday night at the Australian Open", Hewitt has spent the short off-season, two weeks in his case, pushing himself to the limit.
The double-edged incentive for Hewitt is a return to grand slam glories and ending Federer's six-match winning streak against him.

"Roger Federer has taken his game to another level," said Hewitt, who fell foul of the immaculate Swiss at the Australian Open, Wimbledon and US Open (final) as part of a string of deflating losses.

"It's up to Roger Rasheed (his coach) and I to get up to that level, get past it and win another grand slam. At the moment, I feel very close to doing that. That's what's driving us more than ever. We want to get up there and win another big one."

Federer holds an 8-7 lead over Hewitt in a rivalry the Australian led 7-2 at the start of the year. But wins in Melbourne, Hamburg, London, New York and Houston (twice) provided telling evidence of the advances in Federer's mental application.

Undaunted, Hewitt senses he is only marginally behind his former doubles partner in the battle for major spoils.

Hewitt rates his 6-3 6-2 Masters Cup semi-final demolition of world No. 2 Andy Roddick in November as the finest of his celebrated career.

"It was the best match I've ever played," he said. "I'm a better player now than I was when I was No. 1 a couple of years ago. That match, Roger (Rasheed) and I did everything we could technically and tactically to prepare.

"Roger did all the scouting to perfection and I executed as well as I ever have. That gives me a lot of confidence looking ahead to the Open. I feel every part of my game has improved, but especially my serving. That's the one area that's really got a lot better."

While Hewitt's most vehement critics maintain Federer will always remain a class apart, Hewitt knows only too well how quickly things can change.

Hewitt slipped to 19th this season, unleashing a torrent of career obituaries after two years at No. 1, only to defy his critics with four titles and a 68-18 record. And it could have been so much better.

"If it wasn't for one bloke (Federer), I could have been holding up a few more grand slam trophies," the 2001 US Open and 2002 Wimbledon champion said.

"I thought I played really well throughout the year. I lost in every grand slam to the eventual champion (Federer three times and Gaston Gaudio at the French Open)."

After a torrid training week in Sydney, where he toiled under Rasheed and Davis Cup coach Wally Masur, Hewitt has returned to Adelaide and Memorial Drive's centre court, scene of his first professional victory in 1998.

As befitting a phlegmatic character who stubbornly shut out crowd distractions in Spain and Brazil, Hewitt is resisting the temptation to get caught up in Australian Open centenary nostalgia.

"The centenary doesn't change things for me," he said. "The Australian Open is the Australian Open. I'll take it (the title) any year if I can hold up the trophy.

"I know there's going to be a big build-up but, at the end of the day, it's going to come down to winning seven best-of-five-set matches.

"I'd do anything to play that last match on that Sunday night at the Australian Open."

Hewitt has decided to vary his Australian Open lead-up by returning to the Next Generation Australian Hardcourt Championship after becoming frustrated by some aspects of previous preparations.

He has played the Hopman Cup for the past two seasons but, by returning to Adelaide in search of a third hometown crown, has the opportunity to leapfrog Roddick and claim the second seeding for the Open.

And, judging by his steely frame of mind and hunger, only a fool would bet against it.

NOMAD
12-16-2004, 05:16 AM
an interview ;)

Lleyton Hewitt returns to the 2005 Next Generation Hardcourts in a bid to win his third title at Memorial Drive (from January 3-9) and his first in Melbourne two weeks later at the Australian Open. In this exclusive interview, Hewitt assesses the Adelaide field, explains what motivates him as a player and tells us why he has chosen to play doubles with coach Roger Rasheed at the Next Generation Hardcourts.

Youíve been training pretty intensively in Adelaide in preparation for the Next Generation HardcourtsÖ

Iíve been training pretty hard. Obviously itís going to be great to come back and play in Adelaide. I havenít played the tournament here at the Drive for a couple of years now. So, Iím probably going to be the No.1 seed there as well so thereís obviously a little bit of added pressure going out and playing in front of your home town but this is where it all started for me. I love playing on that centre court at The Drive.

Have you checked out the player field since it was released?

I know a couple of the guys in it. Thereís always going to be a few changes. Iíll wait until the draw comes out and, for me itís a matter of taking it one match at a time and preparing as well as possible for the major which is coming up in Melbourne. At the end of the day, thatís the big one and Iíll try and use Adelaide and Sydney as the best preparation possible.

It looks like a strong draw in Adelaide. Do you prefer it if there are a lot of good players?

You never know whoís put in the hard yards in December preparing. A lot of the Europeans are going to come over and itís going to be a lot hotter than theyíre probably used to practising in, so there could be some upsets earlier in the tournament. There often is in the first week of the year, but for me Iíve just got to go out there and worry about playing my game. The last two or three months,

I feel like Iíve been the second best player going around, so Iíve really just got to go out there and let my racquet do the talking and put myself in a position to be confident going into Melbourne.

Youíve been training hard with Roger (Rasheed, coach). Are you going to have any time off between now and the tournament?

Iíll be training right through. I had an opportunity to take a week or two off after the Masters Cup, but for me the Australian Open means too much. I feel I want to be in the best possible shape and I can have a couple of weeks off after the Australian Open. From now, right through to the Australian summer, itís full bore ahead.

Youíve said that you will do anything to be there on that last Sunday night in Melbourne. Is that correct?

Yeah, pretty much. It would be awesome to play the first night final at the Australian Open. Everyone knows how much I love playing in Australia in front of my home crowd. It will be like a Davis Cup atmosphere if I can get through to that situation. I know as well as anyone that itís not going to be easy and Iíve never passed a Round of 16 at the Australian Open. If I can get through that first week and put myself into position then Iíll be tough to beat.

Have you ever trained this hard for an Australian Open campaign?

Iíve trained hard in the past, but this year itís on my mind a little bit more. The way that Iíve been playing, my game has come together really well. Roger and I have put a lot of emphasis on the Australian Open probably since the US Open but maybe even Wimbledon this year. Itís been our main focus. Since I didnít have a Davis Cup tie to look forward to, a semi or final at the end of this year, then the Australian Open is the biggest thing for me now. Weíve been focussing on this Australian Open campaign for a while and I canít wait to get out there and get started.

Potentially you could be ranked No.2 after the Next Generation Hardcourts, which would put you on the opposite side of the draw to Roger Federer in Melbourne. Youíd be happy with that scenario?

Thereís a chance of that happening. I havenít really looked into it that much. At the end of the day to win a Grand Slam youíve got to win seven best of five set matches. If youíre going to win a big tournament youíve got to beat the best players at any stage during it. I canít be too focussed on just Roger Federer at the moment. Who knows, I may get through to the final and he might not get there. I donít want to put all my eggs in one basket and just focus on Roger, Iíve got to try and get through, thereís going to be a lot of tough matches early on during the Australian Open. Then again, if youíre going to play Roger itís better playing him in the final than in the semifinals.

What do you have to do to beat him?

Iím not sure at the moment. Heís obviously playing extremely well and heís very confident. The times that Iíve beaten him Iíve put a lot of doubt in his mind throughout a match. Itís hard to say because heís been the stand-out player for the last 18 months or so, it wonít be easy for anyone to beat him and I donít think heíll give up his Australian Open title easily in January.

Peter Johnston (tournament director of the Next Generation Hardcourts) has announced that you and Roger Rasheed will have a wildcard into the doubles in Adelaide. What was behind your decision to enter the doubles?

Iím probably going to play singles on Tuesday night in my first round, so hopefully I can play doubles on Monday afternoon to get used to the pace of the courts. I wouldnít have played a match for a few weeks so it just gets the competitive spirits going again. Also Roger and I played together in Rotterdam this year. Richard Krajicek gave us a wildcard and we ended up beating the Davis Cup doubles pair for Holland. Roger and I played pretty well in that one and we want to go out there and have a bit of fun.

Joachim Johansson has been training in Melbourne and he says that he is looking forward to getting some hits with you in Adelaide. Is that so?

Thereís a lot of training I want to do with Roger as well and focus on my game more than anything. Iím sure when I start playing sets and playing points in the next couple of weeks itís good to have Joachim around here. Heís such a great player as well that he can really test where your gameís at.

What is driving you as a player these days?

Grand Slams and Davis Cup more than anything. They are the things I look forward to. When I start out every year thatís what my goals are, my dreams are, to win the Davis Cup yet again and to try and pick up as many majors as possible. Obviously I got extremely close throughout all the majors this year, but Iíve got to take that next step. Roger Federer is taking the game to another level now, that motivates you as well, to stay at the top of the game and stay with the best players up there. I feel right at the moment Iím as good a chance as anyone to really have a crack at Roger.

Hewitt will play doubles with his coach, Roger Rasheed, in Adelaide.

So having somebody up ahead is a great motivating force for you?

When I was No.1 I felt like I took the game to another level and now Rogerís come along and heís taken the game to another level. I think it drives all the guys behind you. Youíve got to put in that extra work and find a way to beat those best players. Youíve gotta really take your hat off to a guy like Andre Agassi whoís been able to do it for so many years and still be competitive day in day out with the best players in the world. I think thatís one thing that really drives him Ė trying to compete with the best players in the world week in week out.

Finally Lleyton, what do you want for Christmas?

Iím not too concerned about Christmas. I havenít had a lot of time to do too much Christmas shopping Iíve been training too hard. Whatever Father Christmas gives me Iíll take.

Adelaide Ė you live there, youíve got your house there. Could you imagine living anywhere else? Will you always be based there?

It would definitely be in Australia. Thereís a lot of places in Australia I think I could live. Iíll always have a place in Adelaide though. I love the Adelaide Crows, I only live across the Street from Football Park here. This is where I grew up, this is where Iím from but thereís a lot of places around Australia I think I could fit into pretty easily.

sprinterluck
12-16-2004, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the interview Nomad :bigclap: Great to finally get real quotes from the man himself.

Yasmine
12-16-2004, 07:51 AM
I agree, great to hear from him. Thanks for the interview. ;)

NOMAD
12-16-2004, 10:49 AM
it must be very sweet to be back to No.3 this year ,after all the criticism they got last year :angel:

Hewitt, coach bound tight
December 16, 2004

ROGER Rasheed, Lleyton Hewitt's friend, occasional doubles partner and all-round right-hand man, hopes to continue coaching the former world No.1 for the rest of his career.

And he has big plans.

Eighteen months after riding out a torrid initiation to the cut-throat world of tour tennis coaching, Rasheed has helped his 23-year-old charge become the greatest threat to Roger Federer's top ranking.

Yet, if Rasheed has his way, the journey has just begun.

"I hope that Lleyton and I - and I don't see why we wouldn't - continue right through to the end of his career,'' Rasheed told 2KY's Big Sports Breakfast today.

"I think I've got a lot more to bring to the table. I'm a pretty lateral thinker regarding tennis and (am) always looking every week, every day at what we can tweak in his game to improve his game - not go over the top, but always trying to develop the product."

In a sport notable for its rapid coaching turnover, 35-year-old Rasheed and Hewitt are close and clearly enjoy each other's company.

"You spend 24 hours, seven days a week with your player and coach and you've got to have a good friendship, a good relationship and a lot of respect for each other," Rasheed, a former tour Player and AFL conditioner, said.

"When you select a coach, there are a lot of criteria because of the amount of time you spend together. You wake up, you have breakfast, you train together, you play your matches and then you go back to the hotel together and you eat together.

"So it's a full-time existence and Lleyton's put a lot of trust in me, as I do with him, in what goes on on a day-to-day basis.

"And with that, I think we've formed a good relationship and hence we're having a bit of fun together at the moment.

"We're both football lovers. I'm a Port Adelaide supporter and ambassador of the club and Lleyton's a No.1 ticketholder of the Adelaide Crows so we have a lot ribbing which goes on throughout the year, which is fantastic.

"We kick the footy around and we both have a passion for a lot of other activities, which does make a good combination because you then can actually have a lot of down time where you're having a lot of fun with each other and enjoying what you're both doing."

Rasheed said, contrary to some opinion, Hewitt's often-present parents played an important, positive role in the South Australian's career and did so without interfering with his coaching.

"They come along, they watch and they support as a family unit and we do what we're there to do," he said.

"I'm there to coach him, he's there as a player to produce a product on the court and we do our business and they're there as a support system.

"A lot of people have talked about that and whether it's good or bad and (that) they do follow the tour around a bit. I think it's a positive.

"It's a lonely existence out there and when Lleyton's playing in countries where the home crowd is against you and going for the other player, if you've got a little entourage that is behind you, you can look up there and know you've got the support when it's getting a little ugly on the court.

"That's what he enjoys and we think it works well."

Rasheed had to overcome initial public scepticism about his qualification for the job, having followed the more high-profile Darren Cahill and Jason Stoltenberg into the role after serving as trainer.

Those doubts were highlighted when Hewitt, as world No.1 and top-seeded defending champion, lost in the first round at Wimbledon last year in their first tournament as coach and player.

But he refused to panic, always focusing on the bigger picture.

"We got a lot of flak for that (Wimbledon defeat)," Rasheed said.

"But there are a lot of issues that take place.

"Lleyton in 2003 was really ready for a rest and it was my decision to take him off the tour after the US Open and give him the rest of the year off.

"His ranking dropped to 19 and everyone got on his case about having a form slump and (wondered) will he ever be able to push himself back to the top.

"And our whole agenda from the middle of that year was to change his game and develop a new game and, with that in mind, you have to walk a bumpy path and Lleyton was prepared to do that.

"I said `you'll get some knockers, but you've just got to be strong', and he's probably one of the our strongest athletes in Australian sport that we've ever had as far as (being) a competitor.

"We took the time off, we concentrated on the Davis Cup, he came out and won his Davis Cup matches, which basically won Australia the Davis Cup, and then he hasn't really put a foot wrong this year.

"It's been a fantastic year without being an outstanding year in the fact that if we had have got a grand slam title that would have topped it off.

"But you can't knock what's he done. He's back up there, he's the second best player in the world in my eyes. There's no doubt about that. He destroyed Andy Roddick in the Masters Cup."

Indeed, world No.3 Hewitt boasts a 72-18 win-loss record since taking his well-earned rest late last year and looms as Federer's strongest challenger at next month's Australian Open.

"Roger Federer is leading the game at the moment," Rasheed said.

"So you are always looking to the guy that's on the top and you want to get better and I think Lleyton's game right now is definitely a better game than when he was No.1 in the world.

"In most areas of his game, he's a better player. He's a more complete player now.

"We've added a lot of things to his game and you've just got to be concerned about your game, keep one eye on the opposition, but also keep a lot of focus on your game and keep on developing that.

"You haven't got a lot of control about how good the opposition are or aren't and if you can take care of your game and continually build on that, then you've got a weapon you can attack the opposition with, and that's what we're trying to do.

"It's a little goal of ours and it'd be fantastic if it was Roger Federer (versus) Lleyton Hewitt at the Australian Open final. It's a long way to go, though.

"He's got to get through a couple of weeks of tennis before that. You've got to get six matches under your belt to earn your right to be in a grand slam final."

AAP

Murkofan
12-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Finally Lleyton, what do you want for Christmas?

My girlfriend back :sad:

:p

Murkofan
12-16-2004, 04:27 PM
Rasheed said, contrary to some opinion, Hewitt's often-present parents played an important, positive role in the South Australian's career and did so without interfering with his coaching.

The real reason Roger was hired comes to light :p

ally_014
12-17-2004, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the articles and interview :) I reckon it's great for Roger and Lleyton to have done well this year after all the flak they got in 2003, seems Roger's proved that you don't need to be an ex-'name' and successful player to have a positive impact on your player. Good on them. :) But I wouldn't want to be near when the Adelaide Derby is played! :p

sprinterluck
12-17-2004, 03:37 AM
Here's an excerpt from Bud Collins article, just out today. His articles are always entertaining. He mentions the Curse of Eddo. I hadn't heard of it before. Hope Lleyts can break that curse next month!

For the full article click the link. I just pasted the part about Lleyton.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6726248/

"Determined Lleyton Hewitt has the heart, legs and youth to stay near the top...

Meanwhile, with the offseason lasting all of 28 days, another endless campaign begins Jan. 3 in Adelaide, Doha and Chennai, with the first major looming in Melbourne Jan. 17: the Australian Open, celebrating its centennial.

Defending champion Federer and Safin were the finalists a year ago, but Hewitt, straining to break the Curse of Eddo, would be worth a few bucks with an Australian bookmaker.

Not quite the 86-year-old Curse of the Bambino that the Red Sox buried, but Australians are moaning and hoping within a 29-year drought.

The last native to capture the title was Eddo -- Mark Edmondson -- in 1976."

sprinterluck
12-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Hewitt takes teen under his wing
By John Thirsk
December 19, 2004
http://foxsports.news.com.au/print/0,8668,11727373-23216,00.html

LLEYTON HEWITT has taken one of Australia's brightest young tennis talents under his wing as the former world No.1 builds up for a busy summer of tennis.

Hewitt, 23, is playing big brother to Sydney teenager Steven Goh in his preparation for the Next Generation Hardcourt in Adelaide (January 3-9), Medibank International in Sydney (January 9-15) and Australian Open in Melbourne (January 17-30).

Channel 7 commentator and former Davis Cup player John Alexander told The Sunday Telegraph he watched Hewitt practice with the 16-year-old at White City under the watchful eye of coach Roger Rasheed and Davis Cup coach Wally Masur.

"Lleyton practising with Steven Goh reminds me of when Lleyton was a 16-year-old and Patrick Rafter took the youngster [Hewitt] under his wing with Newk [captain John Newcombe] and Rochey [coach Tony Roche] at Davis Cup time," Alexander said.

"It was pretty intense stuff between the master and pupil.

"Lleyton was fantastic with Steven, in the same way Patrick treated him (Hewitt) when he first came on the scene.

"It was interesting to watch the 'Big Brother' coming out in Lleyton in the way he encouraged Stephen.

"It was real 'family of mates' stuff where they would practice, go to the gym, and have lunch together."

In a stellar year, Hewitt has risen from 17 to three in the world rankings, winning four of seven finals.

It was no disgrace to lose to the indestructible Roger Federer in the Australian Open (fourth round), Wimbledon (quarter-final) and US Open (final), as well as the season-ending Masters Cup final.

Alexander said he had noticed a new look and maturity about Hewitt following his split with fiancee Kim Clijsters two months ago.

"Lleyton had a real strong look about him," Alexander said. "He has an air of confidence.

"When you look at his year, it's nothing to be ashamed of losing three of the four grand slams to Federer.

"It's going to be interesting to see if Federer can come back and have a better 2005.

"Jimmy Connors [1974] and Mats Wilander [1988], like Federer [2004], won three of the four grand slams. But they [Connors and Wilander] could not back it up the next year.

"Lleyton is an intelligent player and he will work out the game plan he needs to beat Federer.

"Lleyton has gone through the life cycle of being the world No1 in consecutive years [2001-02], lost the mantle and is back close to it."

Alexander said the pressure on Hewitt to win the Australian Open at Melbourne Park - he has never been passed the fourth round - is different to that of Englishman Tim Henman at Wimbledon.

"There hasn't been a Brit to win Wimbledon since Fred Perry in 1936, so Henman feels the weight of an entire nation on his shoulders every time," Alexander said.

"Patrick Rafter suffered similar expectations, but Lleyton is a different personality.

"Lleyton handles pressure well and has the ability to keep his private life to himself, which allows him to concentrate on tennis. He enjoys the fans' support and in return appreciates that support.

"You can see that every time he represents in Davis Cup and now supporting teenagers like Steven Goh."

The Sunday Telegraph

possie
12-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Apologies, in advance, if this news has already been posted elswhere. Last night (Saturday 18th December) Lleyton was at the Sydney "Carols in the Domain" (basically carols by candlelight on masse, for all you non-Aussies), where Bec Cartwright was co-host with Andrew Daddo. My sister was at the event and spotted Lleyton, she also came very close to getting an autograph (he was sitting in a sectioned off VIP area near the stage).

raeesa301
12-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Thanx for the article sprinterluck and the update possie! There are pics posted of lleyton at candles in the domain in the pics thread.

Socket
12-20-2004, 05:49 PM
Lleyton's powerful return

21dec04

A NEW-LOOK Lleyton Hewitt strode on to Sydney's White City courts yesterday to accelerate his preparation for the Australian summer of tennis.

Chasing a fourth Sydney title at Homebush next month, Hewitt is in impressive physical shape - boasting a bulked-up frame he hopes will add power to his game.
The ultimate goal for the world No.3 is to end our long wait for an Australian Open men's champion.

Not since Mark Edmondson shocked John Newcombe at Kooyong in 1976 has an Aussie triumphed.

Hewitt, 23, has packed on six kilograms since teaming up with coach Roger Rasheed. He worked out yesterday with Davis Cup coach Wally Masur as world No.1 Roger Federer hit away from public view with Tony Roche.

If the seedings go according to plan, Hewitt could resume his burgeoning rivalry with Federer in the Australian Open final.

Federer has won the pair's last six meetings to hold an 8-7 record against the feisty Wimbledon and US Open winner.

Max
12-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Andrew McCleod was on channel 10 news tonight talking about his close friendship with Lleyton, it was cute and he also said that they made a documentary together

sprinterluck
12-21-2004, 04:01 PM
Okay this is getting weirder by the minute. Here's an article with quotes from McLeod. The article implies that Lleyton and Andrew have moved in together. It's a bit strange that they've both broken off their respective relationships at the same time. What is going on here? Can't anyone stay together anymore?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/printpage/0,5481,11756652,00.html

Buddy system revives McLeod
Richard Earle
22dec04

A TWO-MONTH bonding session with world tennis No. 3 Lleyton Hewitt and a chat with new coach Neil Craig has "rejuvenated" Adelaide's Andrew McLeod.

The Rolls-Royce is purring again after an indifferent 2004 season, belatedly reborn in the ashes of Gary Ayres' departure from West Lakes.
McLeod filmed a documentary with Hewitt over two weeks in Darwin during November -- a profile of his rise from brilliant Northern Territory youngster to dual Norm Smith medallist.

McLeod has been dipping into the 2002 Wimbledon champion's psychological well of expertise ever since.

"Obviously he's pretty good at what he does," said McLeod, at the Crows' pre-season camp at Tanunda in the Barossa Valley yesterday.

"If you can steal any bits and pieces off someone of that calibre then it's to your benefit."

The break-up of Hewitt's engagement to Belgian ace Kim Clijsters and McLeod's split with wife Rachel has seen the jilted pair become exceptionally close in the past eight weeks.

It is believed the sporting mates have moved in together at Hewitt's beachside abode.

"We enjoy spending time together. We spent a fair bit of time in the off-season. We filmed a documentary together as well, which was pretty rewarding," 215-game star McLeod said.

"Certainly the last two months I have got to know him a hell of a lot better and we have fed off each other, which is good.

"He's pretty passionate about his footy. He loves the Adelaide Football Club and he's a great ambassador for South Australia, Australia and sport in general."

While McLeod, 28, wrote the script for his tropical doco he admitted he couldn't have conceived a scenario that others could only dream -- bouncing off ideas with a US Open champion.

"He's a great bloke and someone I enjoy spending time with," McLeod said.

"I think that's the benefit of having someone like that as your friend. You can talk about things that other people can only dream of. But I don't want to reveal too much about that."

McLeod is clearly relishing the reign of Craig at West Lakes and his revolutionary ways. The footballs are well and truly in use as Craig attempts to address the Crows' skill deficiencies.

"Craigy has been fantastic," said McLeod, who will pursue a television lifestyle career upon retirement.

The harsh memories were evident on McLeod's face as he recalled the pain of 2004. He doesn't want a repeat.

"We made a conscious decision that we don't want to be down finishing that low (12th) again. That's not what the football club is about," he said.

Goonergal
12-21-2004, 05:34 PM
They're building a little batchelor pad eh? ;)

Thanks for the articles everyone!

Socket
12-21-2004, 05:41 PM
Lleyton strikes me as the type of person who doesn't like living alone. He has said in the past he likes to have a lot of people around him when he travels, so it's not surprising to me that he wants a friend to live with when he's home. And Andrew can keep an eye on his place when he travels. :D

sprinterluck
12-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Lleyton strikes me as the type of person who doesn't like living alone. He has said in the past he likes to have a lot of people around him when he travels, so it's not surprising to me that he wants a friend to live with when he's home. And Andrew can keep an eye on his place when he travels. :D

I agree. Seems to me that Lleyton might be so lonely in that huge house all by himself in this transitionary period. Kim said she decorated the Adelaide house! I wonder if Lleyts had an interior decorator come in and change the whole look while he was in Paris and Houston. :devil: Here are some older excerpts about his house for those who missed it.

U.S. Tennis Magazine
3/15/04 0:11 AM
http://www.tennis.com/ProGame/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=54979&itype=1296

Although Clijsters recently finished building a house in her hometown of Bree, Belgium, she took charge of decorating Hewitt's new seaside home in the suburbs of Adelaide. "Lleyton knows I love to decorate," she says, "so he lets me do what I want. I believe in doing things myself, and it will be like that for our marriage, too."
Monday June 14, 2004
The Guardian

While Hewitt is entertaining when describing their fantastically ostentatious new house in Adelaide - featuring an indoor cinema and an outdoor waterfall - he is positively earnest when stressing that, "at home we just like chilling together. We'd love a little more privacy but, apart from being recognised all over Australia, we're kinda big news in Belgium! But we don't like the limelight like most famous couples. We prefer to be normal because attention should only be on us when we're out on the court. That's where we shine in public. The rest belongs to us."

Socket
12-21-2004, 08:45 PM
I agree. Seems to me that Lleyton might be so lonely in that huge house all by himself in this transitionary period. Kim said she decorated the Adelaide house! I wonder if Lleyts had an interior decorator come in and change the whole look while he was in Paris and Houston.

You know what? I thought the same thing! I would have a new look put in, especially if I could afford to, as he definitely can, and that way, there won't have so many old memories around. In fact, when I first heard about the breakup, I wondered if he would just sell the house and make a fresh start with a new one.

sprinterluck
12-22-2004, 12:14 AM
You know what? I thought the same thing! I would have a new look put in, especially if I could afford to, as he definitely can, and that way, there won't have so many old memories around. In fact, when I first heard about the breakup, I wondered if he would just sell the house and make a fresh start with a new one.

He dropped a bundle on that new house in Adelaide. I read that it's the most anyone's paid for a house like that in that part of Adelaide. Of course, he certainly has the ka-ching $$$$ to sell it and buy a new one. My guess is that he's gonna keep this Adelaide bachelor mansion (complete with indoor cinema, waterfalls and oceanview) so he can party with Andrew McLeod and take on a bachelor pad in Sydney where the action is. Isn't Sydney where all the starlets are at? Or he can always just bunk up with Bec "B-list" :devil: Anyway, methinks this Bec thing is a snipe at Kim to make her jealous. I would be. Hence, Lleyton's total 180 degree turn with the paparazzi even :o smiling for the cameras! Keep those grinning portraits coming Lleyts :hearts:

Here's the Andrew pic that goes with the article I posted. What a great bod! I hope Lleyton is working towards getting a body like this.

Lisbeth
12-22-2004, 01:33 AM
:lol: good plan ... I think Lleyts' house was actually the most expensive ever bought anywhere in Adelaide (though it has been passed since). Unfortunately a trendy harbourside pad in Sydney would cost him almost as much, though it would be a great investment for him as well as somewhere to, erm, entertain friends ;)

Neighbours is filmed in Melbourne, Home and Away in Sydney (Palm Beach, I think) - so the starlets are probably equally distributed ;)

Socket
12-22-2004, 01:50 AM
Here's the Andrew pic that goes with the article I posted. What a great bod! I hope Lleyton is working towards getting a body like this.

Wow, Andrew has a great-looking body. Now that he's single again, I wonder if I could get Lleyton to introduce me. :devil:

Yasmine
12-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Wow, Andrew has a great-looking body. Now that he's single again, I wonder if I could get Lleyton to introduce me. :devil:
:cool: Yeah and to me! :p

My guess is Lleyton is trying to have a bachelor life again :rolleyes: , by moving in with Andrew Mc Leod and showing that he's enjoying himself in front of the cameras... Now is it real, a way to show off to Kim that he's moving on, I don't know :confused:

raeesa301
12-22-2004, 11:41 AM
Hewitt takes a different route
Wed, 22 Dec 2004

Lleyton Hewitt will opt for a different Australian Open build-up next month in a bid to become the first home winner of the tennis grand slam in 29 years.

The world number three has decided to miss the Hopman Cup in Perth, where he was guaranteed at least three singles matches plus three mixed doubles, and returned to an old formula.

As he did from 1998-2001, Hewitt will use tournaments in Adelaide and Sydney to prepare him for an assault on the Australian Open, starting in Melbourne on January 17.

Hewitt captured four titles from five finals in Adelaide and Sydney during that productive four-year run, before reducing his workload amid concerns he was burnt out by the time of the season's opening grand slam event.

Hewitt now believes he has the physical and mental strength to go through Adelaide and Sydney without losing his edge in the second week at Melbourne.

The former world number one, who has yet to progress beyond the fourth round at the Australian Open, is trying to replicate his charge to this year's US Open final.

With extra strength in his legs following three finals in three weeks on the US circuit, Hewitt continued his grand slam assault all the way to the Flushing Meadows final against Federer.

The 23-year-old Australian will feel equally comfortable in Adelaide, his hometown, and in Sydney, where he is the titleholder, three-time champion and owner of a 25-1 win-loss record at Olympic Park.

"I would do anything to play that last match (the men's singles final) on that Sunday night at the Australian Open," Hewitt says of his childhood dream.

No Australian has won the national open since Mark Edmondson in 1976.

While Hewitt is opting for Adelaide and Sydney as his lead-up events, his main rivals have chosen a more proven build-up.

Eight of the last 10 Australian Open men's champions have prepared for the first grand slam of the year at the Kooyong Classic in Melbourne, and eight of the world's best will again be playing in the round-robin exhibition event from January 12-15.

While the likes of world number five Carlos Moya and 12th-ranked Joachim Johansson pose the greatest threats to Hewitt in Adelaide and Sydney, tennis' biggest stars including Roger Federer, Andy Roddick, Andre Agassi, Tim Henman and David Nalbandian will be fine-tuning their games at Kooyong.

Only Agassi in 1995 and Swedish surprise packet Thomas Johansson (2002) have bucked the trend over the last decade and won the Open after readying themselves somewhere other than Kooyong the week prior.

"Lleyton seems to enjoy Sydney but, if he doesn't do well at the Open this year, maybe he will give us some more serious thought next year," Kooyong Classic promoter Colin Stubs said on Wednesday.

Ashie_87
12-23-2004, 07:53 AM
Dunno if anyone's interested but on the channel 7 news today they showed Lleyton christmas shopping with Bec. The media was talking to them while they waited at a crossing and tried to ask them about the relationship. They answered everything else but those questions. btw I didn't see this-mum did;)

sprinterluck
12-23-2004, 08:12 AM
Dunno if anyone's interested but on the channel 7 news today they showed Lleyton christmas shopping with Bec. The media was talking to them while they waited at a crossing and tried to ask them about the relationship. They answered everything else but those questions. btw I didn't see this-mum did;)

Thanks for the update. ;) Just curious was Lleyton in Sydney or Adelaide shopping?

Ashie_87
12-23-2004, 09:02 AM
He was in Sydney...well we're pretty sure!:p

lleyki4eva
12-23-2004, 03:14 PM
ohhh... i'm afraid it's getting seriousss..

raeesa301
12-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Just curious to see if anybody around here really does like Bec as a person and a good partner for lleyton? One of my web pals pointed out that movie stars and tennis players don't go. Example: Brooke shields and Andre Agassi, Andy Roddick and Mandy Moore.

sprinterluck
12-23-2004, 08:51 PM
Lleyton sighting in Sydney. Now why couldn't they include a new picture of Lleyton?:

Feast fit for celebrities
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1266&storyid=2424339

December 24, 2004

CHRISTMAS cheer filled the city yesterday as celebrities indulged in last-minute power-lunches and finished their Chrissy shopping.

Woolloomolloo wharf was a hot spot with TV presenter Deborah Hutton and celebrity chef Luke Mangan dining at Otto at a table just metres away from John Laws and his wife Caroline, who were just a table away from crooner Kamahl and his daughter Rani, who were an arm's distance from Skye Leckie.

Designer Ralph Lauren has flown into Sydney and ate yesterday with his family at The Italian Village in The Rocks while Bec Cartwright and Lleyton Hewitt Ė spotted holding hands Ė shopped in the city.

Read all about Sydney Confidential's Saints and Scoundrels of 2004 in today's Daily Telegraph

sprinterluck
12-23-2004, 09:07 PM
Just curious to see if anybody around here really does like Bec as a person and a good partner for lleyton? One of my web pals pointed out that movie stars and tennis players don't go. Example: Brooke shields and Andre Agassi, Andy Roddick and Mandy Moore.

Bec B-list isn't exactly a star on the same level as Brooke Shields or Mandy Moore. She's a soapie star and doesn't have the same level of commitments as a movie star or other big celebrity. It could work out for her and Lleyton especially if she's willing to travel with him to tournaments and follow him around the world during the tennis year. Jimmy Connors' then girlfriend was a Playboy Magazine model and she ended up landing the guy and having kids with him. So if she's willing to put her career aside like Bridgette Wilson who landed Pete Sampras then it might work out. Bridgette wasn't exactly A-list either (See: "House on a Haunted Hill"--Better yet, DON'T see that movie *bleh*). In general, I don't like actresses with tennis players. As someone on this board said, the camera is like catnip for actresses. Too much media attention and their careers depend on the hype. After Lleyton just coming out of a high profile relationship it seems that a lower profile girlfriend would help keep him out of the paparazzi radar thus giving him more privacy and normalcy. Unless of course that's exactly what he wants to be photographed with another girl. He did seem really willing to pose for the cameras.

virgil23
12-23-2004, 10:26 PM

Is there an "I don't care" option? Since Bec as many have stressed is simply a soap-opera star in Australia; I obviously never heard of her until now which means I really don't have much of an opinion on the girl. However I have this funny thing about me; when I am a fan of someone I respect whatever relationship they are in. Unless the relationship really affects them badly (i.e. drug abuse, violence, their career becomes really horrible, etc.) I don't care. I have been a fan of Lleyton since 1999 and while I knew who Kim was prior to their relationship (she made an impression on me from her U.S. Open match with Serena) I wasn't that particularly interested in her before their relationship.

However over time I got to be a fan of hers in her own right and I'll continue to be one. However having this whole breakup happen made me realized maybe we were all a little too interested and invested with this relationship (okay they were adorable) and who knows if things were ever as perfect as they let on. Right now I'm taking everything about Lleyton's love life with a pinch of salt and detached opinion. As long as he comes to the Australian Open and kicks serious ass; then he can hold hands, dance, pose, make-out, etc. with anyone he wants. I should also add that another reason I'm not so bothered by this whole Bec issue is because of the fact that they've known each other for a long time. I might have been a little more bothered if he'd just picked up some blonde, IQ challenged woman he'd never met before but hey if it is true he and Bec have been friends for years and their families even know each other; then more power to him.

Yasmine
12-23-2004, 10:45 PM
:worship: great post Virgil! I couldn't agree more.

star
12-24-2004, 12:49 AM
I agree. I'll trust Lleyton's judgment. He's showed pretty good sense up til now. Of course, most all of us have made mistakes in relationships. I'm sure if this isn't what Lleyton wants, he'll move on.

ally_014
12-24-2004, 03:41 AM
Totally agree, as long as the posing, making out, shopping etc doesn't take over! (Im sure that it won't, he's got a brain)

Tennis: Right at home
By DOUG ROBERTSON
24dec04

LLEYTON Hewitt and likeable Swede Joachim Johansson have become a big hit at Memorial Drive, and unofficial ambassadors for the Next Generation Australian Hardcourt Championships.

And while Memorial Drive is virtually Hewitt's backyard, Johansson – the boyfriend of Hewitt's sister Jaslyn – has been making himself right at home.

He yesterday spent a tough two-hour session at The Drive, honing his game in preparation for the Australian summer circuit while Hewitt yesterday changed his training plans, missing a scheduled hit. The No. 1 and No. 2 seeds respectively for the January 3-9 tournament have been regulars on Memorial Drive's centre court and nearby Next Generation Rebound Ace practice courts this week.

Hewitt and his coach Roger Rasheed have often stopped to talk to youngsters in the stands to explain the method in their training.

Hewitt spent time with SA's underage squads passing on his experience with invaluable tips on how to make it to the top.

But it's lofty Johansson – the world No. 12 – who has become king of the kids at The Drive, regularly taking time out from his preparations to sign autographs and chat with dozens of youngsters. "Lleyton and Joachim have been terrific around here this week," Tennis SA chief executive Alistair MacDonald said.

"Lleyton talked to our underage squads for about 40 minutes the other day – you can't buy that kind of experience.

"All of them went out on to the courts pumped up and ready to go.

"Joachim's always happy to autograph things for us and he talks to the kids all the time.

"He even came back from next door to see some kids because they weren't here earlier."

Johansson yesterday trained with emerging South Aussies Andrew Derer and Shannon "Stinger" Nettle, of Cobdogla, in the Riverland.

The trio met at the Australian Open camp held at Melbourne Park last week, where Johansson was a guest of Tennis Australia, and their friendship has continued in Adelaide.

Bibi
12-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks for all the articles :kiss:

raeesa301
12-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Thanx for the article! You're right Virgil about the fact that we should only take notice of the tennis side of lleyton and not all his girlfriends. It's just that sometimes I find that a bit hard, and now that there's no tennis action I'm finding it more difficult. But you're right.

Socket
12-25-2004, 04:01 PM
This article is a bit snarky about Kim, but I'm glad that Lleyton isn't moping around feeling sorry for himself. I think having Bec's friendship and support will be great for him in the next few months.

Lleyton serves up romance
By Annette Sharp
December 26, 2004
The Sun-Herald

Kim Who?: Lleyton Hewitt enjoys Sydney Harbour with his new squeeze Bec Cartwright.

Tennis champ Lleyton Hewitt has discovered the best way to mend a broken heart is to get back into the game before you risk losing form.

So Hewitt, 23, was saving some of his best footwork for a private singles match last week on board a luxury cruiser with television actor Bec Cartwright.

As one of a star-studded list of celebs enjoying a very Sydney Christmas, the tennis player paid $5000 to hire the Sunseeker 65-foot cruiser on Tuesday night and entertained a party of one, Home And Away star Cartwright, 21, for a dinner cruise on the harbour.

It was after a similar cruise last December that Hewitt proposed to Belgian tennis ace Kim Clijsters. Their relationship hit the rocks in October.

During their four-hour twilight cruise, Hewitt and Cartwright dined on lobster, crab, chicken and champagne.

NOMAD
12-25-2004, 04:38 PM
Bec's family celebration on the harbour
By SHARRI MARKSON
December 26, 2004
ACTRESS Bec Cartwright and her family celebrated Christmas Day with a traditional feast of turkey and prawns on a Sydney Harbour cruise yesterday.

After last-minute Christmas shopping with new beau Lleyton Hewitt, Cartwright spent a fun-filled family day on the water, opening presents, popping crackers and laughing with her young cousins.

Overcast weather didn't dampen the spirits of the 15-strong Cartwright clan as they set off from Lavender Bay aboard Flagship's 48ft pleasure cruiser Resolute. Bec smiled as she sat back and reflected on a successful year, happy to finally settle down for Christmas.

"It was a wonderful Christmas Day; we've loved being out on the harbour," she said.

"Ever since I was little, Christmas has always been important in my family. It's an exciting time of year, and I love giving presents."

Cartwright said she looked forward to Christmas all year and usually purchased presents well in advance.

But this year, her schedule for Dancing With The Stars and Home & Away meant she left her shopping until Christmas week.

Bec and Hewitt did last-minute shopping on Thursday afternoon and again the night before Christmas.

"Normally, I buy presents throughout the year, but it's been so hectic that I did my Christmas shopping yesterday in the city.

"I bought shirts for my dad and pyjamas for my sister. It was so much fun."

As a Christmas present to her mother, Michele, Bec bought them both tickets to Thailand for a week.

"It's been such a big year, its great to finally have a break," she said. This has been a memorable year for Cartwright, who celebrated her 21st birthday in July, then travelled to Vietnam to visit an orphanage and raise awareness for children with AIDS.

Cartwright's Christmas wish is to continue raising money for charity.

"I feel so blessed. I have an awesome family, a good job and I'm so happy with my life Ė I almost feel guilty.

"My wish for 2005 is to give something back by helping these poor children in Vietnam and raising money for child sufferers of AIDS in Australia."

NOMAD
12-25-2004, 04:40 PM
"I bought shirts for my dad and pyjamas for my sister. It was so much fun."

was Lley helping Bec to choose her sister's pyjamas:haha:

I wonder whether it's a sexy pyjama or a normal one:haha: :p

tibe
12-25-2004, 06:06 PM
or lleyton has really forgotten Kim or he is doing everything to make her jealous :confused:

Socket
12-25-2004, 06:35 PM
or lleyton has really forgotten Kim or he is doing everything to make her jealous :confused:
Neither. He's just moving on with his life. Good for him.

Yasmine
12-25-2004, 06:37 PM
:wavey:
Well Lleyton is a guy like all the others, has an ego and hormones :rolleyes: ... so as I don't think you can forget a 5 year relationship in a month, your second option sounds pretty plausible :tape:

But I agree that it's good he is moiving on with his life ;)

virgil23
12-25-2004, 07:15 PM
Or maybe, just maybe it is not about forgetting a five-year relationship but knowing and accepting that it is over and there is no chance of going back. Honestly not to sound like a broken record but none of us knows what was going on in that relationship. For all any of us knows, the two might have been having problems for months before they broke up or hell maybe they just fell out of love with each other. Yeah they will probably always care about each other but maybe they were not in love with each other anymore.

I was watching Sportscentury on Jimmy Connors and that's pretty much how Chris Evert described the ending of their relationship. She said that as hard as it was, they both just realized they were not each other's "happily ever after". I loved how she said though he was the best first love she could have had and I'm sure that's the same for Lleyton and Kim. For almost four years they had something that most people never have for a lifetime but it is over; and this constant need to peg Lleyton as this walking ego making choices to hurt Kim or look tough to the press is a little annoying. Especially since Lleyton never seemed to care much of what the press thought about him.

Hagar
12-26-2004, 12:26 AM
This article is a bit snarky about Kim, but I'm glad that Lleyton isn't moping around feeling sorry for himself. I think having Bec's friendship and support will be great for him in the next few months.

Lleyton serves up romance
By Annette Sharp
December 26, 2004
The Sun-Herald

Kim Who?: Lleyton Hewitt enjoys Sydney Harbour with his new squeeze Bec Cartwright.

Tennis champ Lleyton Hewitt has discovered the best way to mend a broken heart is to get back into the game before you risk losing form.

So Hewitt, 23, was saving some of his best footwork for a private singles match last week on board a luxury cruiser with television actor Bec Cartwright.

As one of a star-studded list of celebs enjoying a very Sydney Christmas, the tennis player paid $5000 to hire the Sunseeker 65-foot cruiser on Tuesday night and entertained a party of one, Home And Away star Cartwright, 21, for a dinner cruise on the harbour.

It was after a similar cruise last December that Hewitt proposed to Belgian tennis ace Kim Clijsters. Their relationship hit the rocks in October.

During their four-hour twilight cruise, Hewitt and Cartwright dined on lobster, crab, chicken and champagne.

Can't help it but this really isn't very delicate, is it? I mean, having dinner with Bec, OK, but a cruise in Sydney Harbour, so kind of repeating what he did with Kim last year when he proposed?

Also, Lleyton posing with Bec the way he does here, is that really LLeyton? I always thought he was a very private person, all this PR of a sudden, it's strange.

I'm a bit wondering if Bec wasn't his first choice and he simply picked Kim as a second choice. But then, Kim and Lleyton always seemed perfect together.

Murkofan
12-26-2004, 12:30 AM
I think taking B-List on the same cruise he took Kim to propose to her a year ago is unbelievably tacky. I hope he doesn't give her Kim's ring next :rolleyes:

Socket
12-26-2004, 01:15 AM
C'mon, you guys, let the poor man have some fun. What, Lleyton can never go on a cruise in the Sydney Harbor because he proposed to Kim there? Maybe he should just stop playing tennis, because, you know, he was a tennis player when he proposed to Kim! And he can't ever have a girlfriend in the players box during his matches, because Kim used to sit there!

Kim and Lleyton's relationship is over. The sooner we just forget about it, and stop thinking about what Lleyton is doing in terms of how it may relate to Kim, or what his ulterior motive may be, the happier we will all be.

virgil23
12-26-2004, 01:59 AM
Kim and Lleyton's relationship is over. The sooner we just forget about it, and stop thinking about what Lleyton is doing in terms of how it may relate to Kim, or what his ulterior motive may be, the happier we will all be.

Yup, have to agree. Okay I won't lie, when I read where his romantic day with Bec was, my initial thought was "my things change in one year". However I don't know, maybe it's a bias because I've been a fan of his for so long but I just refuse to crucify or judge him for this. I think a large part of the problem here is many are viewing this as "his relationship with Kim just ended". However just because the "official" break-up was only a few months ago, does not mean the relationship just went bad. The relationship may have been over for awhile. Sure we have comments from friends to the press that Lleyton was shocked and upset or whatever but who says that's really true. They may have assumed he was but for all anyone knows Lleyton was not shocked because perhaps things had been going bad for awhile. Remember we have had no comment from him on his relationship ending.

However it is certainly a possibility that he is doing it to hurt her; because maybe the break-up was all about her and her not wanting to marry him so he is angry, hurt and lashing out. Oh the endless possibilities; all of which we will never know the real answer. If Lleyton really is doing all this as a way to deal with Kim's breaking up with him and only doing it to be mean or whatever then what's the big deal; it won't last. Eventually he'll get a clue and get over it and heal in a healthier way. However if he is just trying to move on with his life the best way he sees possible right now than leave the guy alone already.

I mean there have been worst things in this world. Need I mention J-Lo marrying Marc Anthony three months after breaking up with Ben Affleck and five days after he divorced his wife? Or what about Ben hooking up with someone with the same name as his ex-fiancee; a woman who incidentally left her husband and immediately hooked up with her co-star, who she dumped and immediately hooked up with Ben. Andre Agassi started pursuing Steffi Graf at the Indian Wells tournament which was in March; his divorce from Brooke Shields wasn't final until May/June. At that point he and Steffi were already secretly dating. Despite that Brooke Shields has nothing but wonderful things to say about Andre. Tom Cruise went public with his relationship with Penelope Cruz five days after his divorce to Nicole Kidman was final. They were married for ten years and have two kids; how do you think the kids felt?

I don't know, like I said maybe I am just being biased because I am a fan and certainly I can see why some might consider it tacky or whatever. However I just think we need to let it go already.

Murkofan
12-26-2004, 02:28 AM
I'm not asking y'all to agree with how I feel :p You just have to deal with it :devil: :p

And actually, I think it's more tacky in regards to B-List than it is to Kim.

lleyrules
12-26-2004, 02:36 AM
I agree that the relationship with Kim was probably over along time - remember there were rumours of a split around the US open 2003 - they may have patched that up but it might never have been the same again,however I still think it is tacky of LL to go on a Sydney cruise with this so called new girlfriend. I doubt very much there's anything to this just a bit of high profile posing by two publicity concious people. Has anyone noticed that LL is wearing the same outfit in all his photos with Bec - perhaps they were all shot the one day!!! I think the only friends of LL who really know the story on what happened with LL and KIm are Hayden and andy Mcleod and they certainly wouldn't have talkied to the media so the "friends" giving away info is also dubious.

Socket
12-26-2004, 04:55 AM
Well, maybe Bec will be the Jason Stoltenberg of Lleyton's girlfriends -- just somebody you keep around for a few months until you can find somebody better. :devil:

sprinterluck
12-26-2004, 07:09 AM
I'm not asking y'all to agree with how I feel :p You just have to deal with it :devil: :p

Well I agree that this was tasteless.
In the Pictures Thread someone posted several pics of Lleyton and B-list posing and the photos were taken by Fairfaxphotos. What kind of guy takes a girl out on a date then invites professional photographers on board to take pics?...not only that, but the two of them posed for the pics. This is strange and sounds suspiciously spiteful considering Lleyton proposed to Kim on a similar cruise around the same day of the proposal last year. :rolleyes: Low blow Lleyts. They obviously invited the paparazzi onboard because there are even photos inside the boat.

It's obvious that Lleyton wanted these photos to be made public. Just wondering exactly what he wants to achieve by inviting the paparazzi. I think it's because Lleyton wants to show everyone in the world, especially Kim and all Australia, that he's moving and using the media to his advantage.

Danni
12-26-2004, 10:01 AM

:lol: @ "B-List"

...yep that's my big insight into all this :p

Yasmine
12-26-2004, 10:05 AM
For almost four years they had something that most people never have for a lifetime but it is over; and this constant need to peg Lleyton as this walking ego making choices to hurt Kim or look tough to the press is a little annoying. Especially since Lleyton never seemed to care much of what the press thought about him.
Lleyton never ever liked showing off in the press and here with this new relationship, all of a sudden we see pictures every 5 minutes :rolleyes: ! Maybe he doesn't care about what people think but there is definitely a U turn here. And I don't see any other reason for him to act this way than to want to send a message to Kim or anyone else...

Socket
12-26-2004, 01:30 PM
Lleyton never ever liked showing off in the press and here with this new relationship, all of a sudden we see pictures every 5 minutes :rolleyes: ! Maybe he doesn't care about what people think but there is definitely a U turn here. And I don't see any other reason for him to act this way than to want to send a message to Kim or anyone else...
Maybe Bec asked him for a favor, or the cruise company did. Maybe the paparazzi said they wouldn't bug him anymore that night if he posed for a few photos before they left the harbor (that boat is still docked). Also, it's possible that Lleyton and Bec posed for photos they wanted for themselves (which is what you do on a cruise) and the photographer just sold them afterwards without permission.

Personally, I just don't think that Kim is scouring the internet looking for photos of Lleyton with a new g/f, and Lleyton doesn't think that she is, either, so that motivation doesn't seem plausible to me.

Yasmine
12-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Maybe Bec asked him for a favor, or the cruise company did. Maybe the paparazzi said they wouldn't bug him anymore that night if he posed for a few photos before they left the harbor (that boat is still docked). Also, it's possible that Lleyton and Bec posed for photos they wanted for themselves (which is what you do on a cruise) and the photographer just sold them afterwards without permission.

Personally, I just don't think that Kim is scouring the internet looking for photos of Lleyton with a new g/f, and Lleyton doesn't think that she is, either, so that motivation doesn't seem plausible to me.

Posing for pictures on a cruise? :confused:... alright maybe
I don't think Kim is looking on the internet chasing for news about him either but from personal experience guys who come out of a relationship (and especially if they've been dumped) do everything to show off to their ex that they're moving on. So I don't see how Lleyton would be any different from a normal guy!

Socket
12-26-2004, 02:42 PM
Posing for pictures on a cruise? :confused:...
Yeah! When my parents went on a cruise for their anniversary, there was a professional photographer on board who took great photos of them as a memento of the cruise, and my parents bought several of them. One of the guys I work with has a beautiful B&W photo of him and his wife from a cruise, too. I even have one of me with two of my nephews from a short boat ride we took on the Intracoastal in Florida. :)

Murkofan
12-26-2004, 03:01 PM

Then I'll be on the lookout for news that Ll is suing them :p

Thinking of the young guys I know, Ll trying to stick it to Kim does sound plausible :p Not saying that he is, mind you; just that if he was, despite the fact that he is a generally a good guy, it wouldn't be at all surprising to me.

Socket
12-26-2004, 03:21 PM
Oh, believe me, I don't think of Lleyton as a saint. (That would be Pat Rafter, anyway.) :devil: I'm just inclined to think that if Lleyton really wanted to stick it in Kim's eye, he would have had more effective ways of doing that, including dating someone on the WTA tour and talking about how great her game is and how she was a potential No. 1 and cheering her matches (especially when she played you-know-who). Now that I would believe was directed at Kim!

Murkofan
12-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Ah, but see, that would be too obvious :p This way all of us, including Kim, are left wondering if he's really trying to stick it to her, or if we're reading too much into it :p It's diabolically clever, actually :p

Socket
12-26-2004, 04:38 PM
I hope Lleyton devotes this much energy to beating Roger next year!

Yasmine
12-26-2004, 05:04 PM
I hope Lleyton devotes this much energy to beating Roger next year!
I bloody hope so too! :bounce: :lol:

raeesa301
12-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Oh, believe me, I don't think of Lleyton as a saint. (That would be Pat Rafter, anyway.) :devil: I'm just inclined to think that if Lleyton really wanted to stick it in Kim's eye, he would have had more effective ways of doing that, including dating someone on the WTA tour and talking about how great her game is and how she was a potential No. 1 and cheering her matches (especially when she played you-know-who). Now that I would believe was directed at Kim!

I agree that he's no saint but I disagree with the rest :p .

Kim has about a million friends on the tour so I don't know if that whole plan would work out as good as he might've liked. But then again, who knows? :confused:

Maybe he tried that one but he felt the press found out too soon or he realized that people might not take it that seriously, seeing as they practically just broke up at the time. I'm talking about Tatiana Golovin. He might've said the rumors weren't true but maybe somewhere in his head he thought about it :devil: .

I also think that the whole "cruise thing" wasn't such a good idea. Maybe later on in the relationship it could've worked, but now it gives the impression that he wanted to be all up in Kim's face about it especially since invited pro photographers, which is not a Lleyton thing to do :rolleyes: .

raeesa301
12-27-2004, 04:23 PM
Hewitt plays ratings game
December 28, 2004

ANDY Roddick's decision to play or practise next week could ultimately decide Lleyton Hewitt's aspirations of carrying the second seeding into the Australian Open.

Clinging to a slim rankings lead of 65 points, Roddick can be usurped as world No.2 by Hewitt if the Australian has a strong week at the Next Generation Australian Hardcourt Championships in Adelaide from Monday.

Roddick, now working with Dean Goldfine after sacking Brad Gilbert, is still considering an invitation from tournament directors Mark Woodforde and Peter Johnston to take a wildcard into the historic Memorial Drive event.

If the American chooses to continue his Australian Open preparations in the US, he will leave the door ajar for Hewitt to snatch the No.2 ranking - and seeding for the Open.

Roddick currently leads 3655 to Hewitt's 3590 points. If

Hewitt is able to reach the Adelaide semi-finals or better, he will almost certainly earn the right to start the Australian Open on the opposite side of the draw to world champion Roger Federer, who has 6335 ranking points.

"We're expecting to be in touch with the Roddick camp to receive either a confirmation of his appearance in Adelaide or his withdrawal," Woodforde said. "If Andy came, it would add further depth to what is already looming as a great event.

"With Lleyton returning to Adelaide, Andy knows there's a chance he could lose the No.2 spot if Lleyton plays well.

"Obviously, that's a big consideration for both players."

Hewitt thumped Roddick in straight sets at the Tennis Masters Cup in Houston, later declaring the victory as possibly the best of his career.

The dual world champion has toiled feverishly on the practice court under coach Roger Rasheed after working his way back from No.19 to third in the world.

Roddick dumped Gilbert for unspecified reasons.

Since the split, speculation has swirled around the 2003 US Open champion suggesting he was uncomfortable with his financial obligation to Gilbert who, in turn, was said to be unhappy with the input of the player's father - and Roddick's work ethic.

Hewitt has twice won the Adelaide tournament in 1998 and 2000, while losing to Swede Thomas Enqvist in the 1999 decider.

The Daily Telegraph

Socket
12-27-2004, 04:46 PM
The Roddick folks have said that Lleyton can't get the No. 2 from Andy because of the difference in optional events or some other arcane rule. I hope that's not right . . .

sprinterluck
12-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Ah, but see, that would be too obvious :p This way all of us, including Kim, are left wondering if he's really trying to stick it to her, or if we're reading too much into it :p It's diabolically clever, actually :p

It is so obvious that Lleyton's trying to stick it to Kim. He invited Kim for dinner on a romantic cruise around Sydney Harbor right before Christmas and then asked for her hand in marriage last year.
Now this year, around the same time, same place, similar dinner cruise on Sydney Harbor he willingly poses for professional photographers, arm around this new girl's waist deliberately posing with a big smile for the photographers. This is deliberate and he wants to be seen. This makes me think that Kim and Lleyton broke up on absolutely terrible terms. This latest photo op is a deliberate snipe at Kim. He's being a cad.

The photos of him and Bec on the boat are dated December 25, Christmas Day! I think the photos are his Christmas present to Kim. It's like saying I'm not alone on Christmas day and I don't miss you and you're replaceable. :rolleyes: He is mocking last year's proposal and is still bitter. He needs to save the rage and revenge for Roger Federer.

Socket
12-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Is there any evidence that Kim would know of those photos? Somehow, I doubt that a Belgian newspaper would print them, and like I said before, I just don't think that Kim is surfing the net looking for photos of Lleyton or news of his Christmas Day outings, especially if (as the rumors have it) she initiated the final breakup.

Sarah
12-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Is there any evidence that Kim would know of those photos? Somehow, I doubt that a Belgian newspaper would print them, and like I said before, I just don't think that Kim is surfing the net looking for photos of Lleyton or news of his Christmas Day outings, especially if (as the rumors have it) she initiated the final breakup.

well, about the newspapers, the first pic of Lleyton & Bec was in a Belgian newspaper, but only a week after it was in the Australian newspapers (my friends were all saying to me, have you seen Lleyton? and then me, really cool :cool: yeah, about a week ago :p ), so maybe in a week, they'll find out about this pic here and make a big story about it :rolleyes: ;)

kimberlleyton
12-27-2004, 11:10 PM

According with my own experience, I can say to you in cases like that, even if Kim doesn't want to scour the internet looking for photos of Lleyton with a new g/f, or if she doesn't read newspapers, there is always " a good charitable soul " :devil: :angel: (as we say in France) to inform you about actions of your ex-boyfriend.
So, if the purpose of Lleyton is to make speak about him and Cartwright to annoy KIM or make her jealous, it is the good tactics.

Personally, I have to admit that I thought of a vengeance of Lleyton to Kim when I read this article and when I saw pics. But is that really annoys KIM :confused: ? What is the positive on lleyton's mental :confused: ? Where is the tennis in all that stuff :confused: ?
According to him, he really wants to win Australian Open. So, why spend his time in the negative energy?
I don't know anymore what I must think :confused: and I am in a hurry that finally the tennis season begins and we will talk more about tennis :tennis:, and great backhand or terrific forehand and victory about our favorite players :woohoo:

Hagar
12-27-2004, 11:25 PM
It is so obvious that Lleyton's trying to stick it to Kim. He invited Kim for dinner on a romantic cruise around Sydney Harbor right before Christmas and then asked for her hand in marriage last year.
Now this year, around the same time, same place, similar dinner cruise on Sydney Harbor he willingly poses for professional photographers, arm around this new girl's waist deliberately posing with a big smile for the photographers. This is deliberate and he wants to be seen. This makes me think that Kim and Lleyton broke up on absolutely terrible terms. This latest photo op is a deliberate snipe at Kim. He's being a cad.

The photos of him and Bec on the boat are dated December 25, Christmas Day! I think the photos are his Christmas present to Kim. It's like saying I'm not alone on Christmas day and I don't miss you and you're replaceable. :rolleyes: He is mocking last year's proposal and is still bitter. He needs to save the rage and revenge for Roger Federer.

The amazing thing is that last year, even though Kim and Lleyton had been together for a long time, no pics were taken of them on their cruise AT ALL. So I think that if Lleyton wants to keep something private, he is capable of doing so.

Lisbeth
12-27-2004, 11:38 PM
Call me a cynic, but I strongly suspect it is Bec's publicity team ensuring the media is at all these "events". After all, she is a B-list celebrity with a profile to keep high. I'm not saying she's using LLeyton or anything like that - she seems very fond of him. But I doubt LLeyton has anything to do with the number of photographers that seem to be stalking them.

Socket
12-28-2004, 12:05 AM
According with my own experience, I can say to you in cases like that, even if Kim doesn't want to scour the internet looking for photos of Lleyton with a new g/f, or if she doesn't read newspapers, there is always " a good charitable soul " :devil: :angel: (as we say in France) to inform you about actions of your ex-boyfriend.
This made me laugh. With friends like this (as we say in America), who needs enemies!!! :eek:

betsiew
12-28-2004, 10:12 AM
Kim has a new boyfriend Luc Opdelocht a mister Limburg 2000 newspaper
hbvl

kim-fan
12-28-2004, 10:58 AM
Kim has a new boyfriend Luc Opdelocht a mister Limburg 2000 newspaper
hbvl

and he looks like this:

http://assets.rug.be/img_art/site/images/b2fc0594-7ebe-47cf-b9d0-6113ef5835de.jpg

(found the link at CCL)

jule
12-28-2004, 12:25 PM
omg :eek:
he's looking like a cucumber with ears!
(Sorry, i don't want to offend anyone!

Jess
12-28-2004, 02:24 PM
Ooh this has become so very tacky :rolleyes:

I agree with Jane in that I don't think he would deliberately have those photos taken with the sole intention of winding Kim up. But he must have known that she's going to do her best to have photographers following her at every chance she gets, and that by being seen on a cruise in Sydney harbour with her a year after that propoal it's going to make a story in the newspapers. He could have suggested they met somewhere else and nobody would have batted an eyelid. Just seems a little insenstive.

And yes, I think if Kim saw those pictures she would be quite upset. Even when a relationship ends for whatever reason you're going to have places and things you remember fondly and seeing the person who not so long ago you were in love with parading his new girlfriend about in exactly those places is bound to be a little upsetting.

I doubt he did it on purpose, but either way it's a bit thoughtless and tacky.

Kim's new boyfriend looks nice (though I'm not sure about those ears!)

Murkofan
12-28-2004, 02:28 PM
A cucumber with ears :rolls:

Socket
12-28-2004, 02:42 PM
If Kim's upset about those photos, I have one word to say to her: "tough." Lleyton's a free man now, and he gets to do what he wants, with whom he wants, and where he wants, without worrying about her reaction to it. She lost the right to judge him when their engagement -- and relationship -- ended. She should focus on her new b/f (who looks a bit like Joachim Johansson, if you ask me) and not worry about what Lleyton is doing. And the same for Lleyton.

kim-fan
12-28-2004, 05:02 PM
omg :eek:
he's looking like a cucumber with ears!
(Sorry, i don't want to offend anyone!

:spit:

sprinterluck
12-28-2004, 05:08 PM
If Kim's upset about those photos, I have one word to say to her: "tough." Lleyton's a free man now, and he gets to do what he wants, with whom he wants, and where he wants, without worrying about her reaction to it. She lost the right to judge him when their engagement -- and relationship -- ended. She should focus on her new b/f (who looks a bit like Joachim Johansson, if you ask me) and not worry about what Lleyton is doing. And the same for Lleyton.

Both Lleyton and Kim are free to date whoever they want this is true. But the Sydney Harbor posing pics with Bec strike me as more than a little insensitive on Lleyton's part and those pics were so deliberately taken and posed for. It's hard to believe that he did not realize the similarity between those pics and the proposal last year. And it's obvious he wanted the dinner date made public. Seems to be a deliberate jab at Kim. It's scary how people could go from loving someone and almost marrying them to wanting to deliberately hurt them.
About Kim's supposed new boyfriend, he does sorta look like Joachim Johansson crossed with John Kerry! He was Mister Limburg :o Tall about 192m which is about 6ft 3inches :eek:

According with my own experience, I can say to you in cases like that, even if Kim doesn't want to scour the internet looking for photos of Lleyton with a new g/f, or if she doesn't read newspapers, there is always " a good charitable soul " (as we say in France) to inform you about actions of your ex-boyfriend.
:D True. Even if they don't scour the internet for info on their ex, both Kim and Lleyton are bound to find out. People talk. The Belgian newspapers are saying that Kim's family has confirmed her new relationship with this guy Luc. The rebound relationships: Bec and Luc. Why else would Kim and Lleyts make their new relationships so public.

Yasmine
12-28-2004, 05:29 PM
If both of them have rebound into relationships to get at each other, then I find it a bit pathetic, if not, I wish them to be happy! :) and to make us enjoy a lot of tennis ;)

Murkofan
12-28-2004, 07:45 PM
*tries to come up with insensitive ways to publicly get back at Lleyton*

She needs to dump this Luc dude and get with Marat :p It would be great if he they were dating and he won the Australian Open :o :haha: Not that it's likely to happen :p

Hagar
12-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Well, for almost 5 years both Kim and Lleyton looked for their partner "Away" but it's clear that this time they've decided to find someone "Home". :devil:

Lleyton with an Aussie star.
Kim with a Limburg star (new BF used to be Mister Limburg)

Socket
12-28-2004, 08:32 PM
Actually, I think Kim dating Federer would be more insensitive, especially if she mentions wanting to date a real -- that is, non-transitional -- No. 1 player. :eek:

Of course, Lleyton could just counter with a cutting comment about certain players who have a tendency to choke in grand slam finals. :eek: :eek:

All in all, I hope they just carefully ignore what the other is doing and avoid the temptation to say or do something they'll regret. :tape:

Sweet Girl
12-28-2004, 11:42 PM
Jesus, her new boyfriend is very ugly!!!! She can do better....

Socket
12-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Jesus, her new boyfriend is very ugly!!!! She can do better....
:haha: Please don't hold back . . . let us know exactly what you think!

star
12-29-2004, 12:27 AM
The Roddick folks have said that Lleyton can't get the No. 2 from Andy because of the difference in optional events or some other arcane rule. I hope that's not right . . .

If I understand it correctly: The best Lley can do is to tie Andy. Then because of the rule governing who gets the number 2 seed at the AO, Andy would get it.

The Australian Open has always seeded according to ATP rankings but has the right change those seedings.

Socket
12-29-2004, 12:40 AM
Are we sure that points for each pre-AO tournament will come off the week that the tournament is played this year? Last year, the tournament schedule was off because of the Olympics, and that might affect the schedule this year. I *think* that the points always come off one year after a tournament is played, even if the tournament won't be played in that week.

star
12-29-2004, 12:42 AM
The rankings for the seedings will be determined before Sydney ( I think )

Socket
12-29-2004, 12:52 AM
OK, that means that they're basically going with YE rankings. Well, in that case, he's got a 50/50 chance of being in Federer's half, so let's all keep our fingers crossed.

sprinterluck
12-29-2004, 01:25 AM
Actually, I think Kim dating Federer would be more insensitive, especially if she mentions wanting to date a real -- that is, non-transitional -- No. 1 player. :eek:

Of course, Lleyton could just counter with a cutting comment about certain players who have a tendency to choke in grand slam finals. :eek: :eek:

All in all, I hope they just carefully ignore what the other is doing and avoid the temptation to say or do something they'll regret. :tape:

A Kim-Roger Fed pairing would be an obvious jab at Lleyton. Federer reportedly wants Cahill for a coach (Lleyton's former coach). This is what Fed said earlier this year:

Roger Federer wants a coach, but even though he has expressed an interest in Andre Agassi's coach Darren Cahill, he would not poach on another's coach: "It would be like approaching the girlfriend of another guy and asking her to go out with me...no, I wouldn't do that."... (from Tennis-x.com)

Socket
12-29-2004, 01:26 AM
I wonder what the coaches would say about being compared to players' girlfriends. :haha:

budgirlbz
12-29-2004, 02:03 AM
I agree with some of the posters that they are both free to date someone but Lleyton posing with the girl is a bit insensitive especially on the sydney harbor where he proposed! that is just not right...after a few years of dating and being engaged, if you don't love each other anymore at least be respectful of the ex!

star
12-29-2004, 05:23 AM
you know.......... sometimes you are; sometimes you aren't. Sometimes if people have been hurt, they do things they might not do otherwise.

But I don't see how posing with a girl on a Sydney harbor cruise is disrespectful to Kim. Afterall, Kim is the one who said she wasn't interested in a lifetime with Lleyton, and not the other way around. Clearly, the engagement isn't a sacred sentimental occasion for her.

jule
12-29-2004, 08:49 AM

and she would have the boyfriend who'll win the Aussie Open! :devil:

tournesol
12-29-2004, 09:23 AM
I agree with some of the posters that they are both free to date someone but Lleyton posing with the girl is a bit insensitive especially on the sydney harbor where he proposed! that is just not right...after a few years of dating and being engaged, if you don't love each other anymore at least be respectful of the ex!

to me it's similar to the behaviour needed after a car crash: return to the place it happened as soon as possible so that life can get normal again; if you fail to do so you might never dare pass by this place for a very long time (exorcising one's fears, one's past)

jeanie_sin
12-29-2004, 11:23 AM
you know.......... sometimes you are; sometimes you aren't. Sometimes if people have been hurt, they do things they might not do otherwise.

But I don't see how posing with a girl on a Sydney harbor cruise is disrespectful to Kim. Afterall, Kim is the one who said she wasn't interested in a lifetime with Lleyton, and not the other way around. Clearly, the engagement isn't a sacred sentimental occasion for her.

where did you base that on? the australian papers who said it was kim who called it off? :rolleyes:

NOMAD
12-29-2004, 04:53 PM
Behind the scenes at Flushing Meadows
http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/v4/l0/s57/e6214/sport_lng0_spo57_evt6214_sto669431.shtml

September 2004. New York. Roger Federer becomes the first man in the Open Era to win his first four Grand Slam finals as he overwhelms 2001 winner Lleyton Hewitt, 6-0, 7-6 (3), 6-0 at the US Open. Gregory Lanzenberg was there to witness the preparation of one very cool customer.

FEDERER: THE SECRET OF SUCCESS

One of the (many) reasons world number one Roger Federer had such a dominant 2004 was his relaxed manner: smiling before each match, joking on the practice courts, playing video games... but let me tell you, one hour before his semi-final encounter with Tim Henman, it was no more Mr Nice Guy.

Federer was already into his match, tight-lipped and visibly playing out the points in his head.

When the match started, the 23-year old knew what he had to do on the court. It wasn't the joking, but his intense concentration that enabled him to block out the stress.

After the match it took Federer a good hour to enter the press conference room. By that time, Mr Nice Guy was back sharing his emotions with reporters in three different languages; German, English and French. Pretty impressive stuff.

AGASSI: SUPERSTITIOUS

Up close each player is distinctive, and none more so than Andre Agassi.

The 34-year old must be one of the most superstitious players on the Tour. He needs the same towel that helped him win the day before, placed by the ball boys in exactly the same spot as before.

When he's done, precisely 45 minutes pass from the moment Agassi shakes the hand of his opponent to the moment he enters his limo.

HEWITT: INTENSE

You can learn a lot from watching the players in practice.

Lleyton Hewitt is, by today's standards, short. But it is captivating to see the 5'11" player on a court, moving like tiger in his cage,:lol: even during practice as he patiently explains the nuances of the game to his teenage sparring partners from the junior circuit. :angel:

Why practice with the youngsters? It keeps the intensity levels up.

HENIN-HARDENNE: UNRAVELLED

When double Grand Slam winner Justine Henin-Hardenne showed up for her fourth round encounter against Nadia Petrova, she appeared to have lost the match before it started.

She could be seen pacing, tying her shoelaces over and over again. It was the spectacle of a player losing the plot mentally.

Her pained look when conferring with coach Carlos Rodriguez was foreboding. She lost in what would be her final match of 2004.

PRESS ROOM DECORUM

Not all players enjoy exposure.

France's Mary Pierce can take three hours before entering the pressroom, even after a win.

Others are conscious of their public image. For instance, Serena Williams always sports a new fashion accessory; be it a special bag, special outfit, or even a dog.

Elena Dementieva appears shy and uncomfortable answering questions in English, while Florida-based Maria Sharapova, six years younger, seems perfectly at ease and even keen to converse in Shakespeare's language.

SHOULDER TO CRY ON

Many on the circuit come with their families.

The most emotional day at the US Open came with the semi-final encounter between Elena Dementieva and Jennifer Capriati.

The American had a golden opportunity to reach the final but contrived instead to lose 7-6 in a final set tiebreak, despite having broken.

Capriati lost the final match point, then rushed to the locker room with her family and began sob. Father Stefano Capriati was there to comfort her.

Her tears spoke volumes about the burning desire it takes to be a top-level player.

The seasoned veteran is a former world number one and a top-ten player. Yet even with so many matches under her belt, so many ups and downs over the years... boy, did that loss hurt badly.

Hewitt treads familiar path
By Leo Schlink
30dec04
http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,11808108%255E23216,00.html

THERE is no place like home for Lleyton Hewitt.

Indisputably proud of his South Australian roots, Hewitt has resisted the temptation to establish a base at an overseas tax haven.

Not for him the lure of Monte Carlo or the ready access to practice facilities in Florida or California.

Content to retreat from the grind of the tour to sedate Adelaide, Hewitt returns next week to Memorial Drive for the Next Generation Hardcourts.

Absent for three years, when he led Australia's Hopman Cup charge, Hewitt is happy to be back at the venue where he won his first ATP Tour title in 1998.

Then, as a 16-year-old student, Hewitt rocked the established order with wins over Scott Draper, Mark Woodforde (now the tournament director), Vince Spadea, Andre Agassi and Jason Stoltenberg, who later coached Hewitt.

The future world No. 1 lost the final to Thomas Enqvist the following season before regaining the title in 2000. He fell in the quarter-finals the following year to German Tommy Haas.

Now he is back at one of the world's oldest tournaments.

"I can't tell you how excited I am to be back in Adelaide playing a real tournament, instead of an exhibition in Perth that I've played in the past few years," he said.

If Hewitt is able to survive a talented field - which includes grand slam aspirants Joachim Johansson and Mario Ancic - he will have the chance to snatch the second seeding for the Australian Open away from world No. 2 Andy Roddick.

A third Adelaide title would have Hewitt sitting in the bottom half of the Australian Open draw, paving the way for a potential night final against Roger Federer on January 30.

It is that ambition that drives Hewitt hardest.

"At the end of the day, as well as I want to do in Adelaide and Sydney, I want to be playing my best tennis when I get to Melbourne," he said.

"There's going to be a lot of pressure and expectation going into the Open, but the focus is to go out there and play my best tennis, starting January 17.

"I've got no injuries. Everything's sweet."

TODD Reid yesterday added an encouraging bookend to a troubled season by landing a prized wildcard into the Next Generation Hardcourts.

The Sydney 20-year-old began the 2004 season in blazing fashion by reaching the quarter-finals at both Memorial Drive and Homebush Bay.

The swashbuckling run accelerated at the Australian Open with wins over Vadim Kutsenko and Sargis Sargsian.

But after he lost in straight sets in the third round to eventual champion Federer, glandular fever and a leg injury hampered his progress.

Apart from a strong showing at the Miami Master Series in March, Reid was limited to cameo glimpses of his undoubted potential.

WORLD No. 24 Jiri Novak, of the Czech Republic, said yesterday he would not play in the Australian Open because of fatigue and increased family commitments.

"I've had quite a difficult season, I need some rest at the moment and so I will surely not make it to Australia," he said. "As of now I want to compete less. Family has to come first."

Lisbeth
12-30-2004, 12:46 AM
where did you base that on? the australian papers who said it was kim who called it off? :rolleyes:

I think Lleyton's friends were saying that Kim called it off (some suggested she did it by phone) ... but you're right, none of us know for sure what happened.

Either way, I don't think there's anything "unseemly" about either person dating again once a relationship is clearly ended.

Lisbeth
12-30-2004, 12:50 AM
BTW folks, some of you may not know that boating on Sydney Harbour is a really, really common thing for both locals and tourists to do. It's not as if it would have taken Lleyton months to organise, and I seriously doubt the trip with Kim was the first time either of them has been out on the harbour. In fact, he probably does it every time he comes to Sydney - many people do. If he enjoys it, I don't see why he shouldn't so it again. Still, it's a pity they (by which I mean "Bec's manager" :devil: )took the press since it seems to have upset some fans.

star
12-30-2004, 02:49 AM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

star
12-30-2004, 02:50 AM
:eek: "A real tournament"

:lol: If I'm reading right between those lines...... "I only played the Hopman Cup so I could be close to Kim instead of doing what I should have done."

sprinterluck
12-30-2004, 03:23 AM

:lol: If I'm reading right between those lines...... "I only played the Hopman Cup so I could be close to Kim instead of doing what I should have done."

OMG, I thought the same thing when I read that bit about "a real tournament." I cringed. :eek: Sounds like a swipe at the Hopman Cup and/or a swipe at Kim. Well I hope he doesn't blame Kim for his past form and preparation. It was his own decision and it made him happy to be near her.

No matter what happened to their relationship, there's no denying that they both supported each other during tournaments. Kim even supported him this year at the Grand Slam tournaments and American hardcourt season. I bet it wasn't easy for her being around the Grand Slams supporting him, but not being able to play. And same for Lleyton when he went out at Wimbledon 2003 in the first round and stayed for the rest of the tournament to support Kim.

Socket
12-30-2004, 03:25 AM
Well, he certainly hasn't had the best of luck at the Hopman Cup, between his getting sick one year and Molik getting injured the next. If one purpose of playing Hopman Cup was to get in at least 3 matches, he hasn't done that every year.

But yeah, at least one reason he played was, I suppose, to spend time with Kim.

Also, this year, he's so close to the No. 2 spot, he should play for points. No reason not to try to close that gap as soon as possible, even if it won't affect the seedings at the AO.

sprinterluck
12-30-2004, 03:33 AM
Well, he certainly hasn't had the best of luck at the Hopman Cup, between his getting sick one year and Molik getting injured the next. If one purpose of playing Hopman Cup was to get in at least 3 matches, he hasn't done that every year.

But yeah, at least one reason he played was, I suppose, to spend time with Kim.

Also, this year, he's so close to the No. 2 spot, he should play for points. No reason not to try to close that gap as soon as possible, even if it won't affect the seedings at the AO.

The sooner he closes in on the No. 2 spot the better. If not by the Australian I hope he can get seeded #2 opposite Federer for Wimbledon. I believe that Roddick's collapses to Lleyton (TMS Houston) and Pim-Pim Johansson (US Open 2004) sent him reeling. The sooner Lleyton gets to No. 2 the better as Marat Safin looks to reassert himself this year.

Murkofan
12-30-2004, 03:39 AM
Go Marat! :woohoo: Seduce Kim :devil: :p

sprinterluck
12-30-2004, 03:41 AM
Geez, I think Lleyton's new strategy is to blame Kim and the speed of the courts. :angel:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Melbourne Park too slow: Hewitt
December 30, 2004 - 1:49PM

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Melbourne-Park-too-slow-Hewitts/2004/12/30/1104344906608.html#

Australia's top tennis player Lleyton Hewitt has criticised the court surface at Melbourne Park, saying it is a factor behind the recent poor record of Australia's top players in the Australian Open.

Hewitt, the world No.3, has never advanced past the fourth round in his home grand slam event, and he said the slow speed of the Melbourne Park courts was partly responsible.

Hewitt said he had repeatedly urged Australian tennis officials to install faster courts at the venue, but there had been no response.

He said himself, retired former world No.1 Pat Rafter and Mark Philippoussis, Australia's top male players in recent years, had all had their best results on fast-paced courts.

"I don't know, at the end of the day it's their tournament, it's the Australian Open's business how they want the court," Hewitt told reporters in Adelaide.

"But I know the US Open would definitely be going up to (US players) Roddick and Sampras and Agassi and asking them what kind of surface they want and how quick they want it.

"At the end of the day, if one of those guys are in the semi or the final then it's making the USTA a hell of a lot of money."

Hewitt said the Melbourne Park courts were slower than they had been five years ago.

"Probably a lot slower," he said.

Hewitt said was not feeling any added pressure from realistically carrying the hopes of the nation into the Australian Open, as the only Australian man in the world's top 100.

"Not really, over the last few years the focus has just been on Flip (Philippoussis) and myself anyway," he said.

"Regardless of whether Flip's at his best right at the moment or not, if anyone gives him an outside shot or not, I've still got to just go out there and worry about my game.

"At the end of the day there's always going to be a lot of pressure, ever since I've probably started and especially since I've been at the top of the game, playing in your home grand slam, so there's not a whole lot I can do about that."

Lisbeth
12-30-2004, 03:53 AM
Go Marat! :woohoo: Seduce Kim :devil: :p

I think that's a terrible idea :p I'm a Marat fan but I would not wish him on anyone I liked in a romantic capacity. ("Kimmy, you can be Blonde Number 5").

Murkofan
12-30-2004, 04:04 AM
Oh come on, she would totally change him :p

Socket
12-30-2004, 04:07 AM
They can date, but they definitely can't have kids, because the poor things would have the most easily injured wrists in the world -- bad genes on both sides!

sprinterluck
12-30-2004, 04:59 AM
I think that's a terrible idea :p I'm a Marat fan but I would not wish him on anyone I liked in a romantic capacity. ("Kimmy, you can be Blonde Number 5").

Well it doesn't have to be long term right? Just a fun fling would do ;) Marat is so darn hot how could anyone not want to get a piece of that :drool: And he's funny and spontaneous just like Kim.

Danni
12-30-2004, 06:00 AM

I think that's a terrible idea I'm a Marat fan but I would not wish him on anyone I liked in a romantic capacity. ("Kimmy, you can be Blonde Number 5").
:haha:

But I'm all for the Marat idea..especially if it's out of him and that underwear model dude :unsure:

sprinterluck
12-30-2004, 05:25 PM
Lleyton's simple conclusion
By Lyall Johnson
December 31, 2004
The Age

It's easy to over-analyse the reasons for sporting success. Technique, diet, training regimes, fast-twitch fibres, aerobic capacity. . . the list is long and, in many respects, valid for a great number of athletes.

But according to Lleyton Hewitt, who by anyone's standards had a brilliant 2004 and ended the year ranked No. 3 in the world, the man who was his nemesis in five tournaments this year and has set the benchmark for men's tennis - Roger Federer - had one simple factor in his favour: confidence.

"I think confidence has a huge thing to do with it. When you are on top of your game and winning . . . a lot of big matches . . . there are only two or three points in a match that change the outcome of a match and Roger's been that confident on big points," Hewitt said yesterday.

"He goes for the big second serve, he comes up with a huge backhand half-volley on the baseline, he's pulling the trigger at the right points and that's what makes him so good, though. Under pressure, at the moment, he is able to come out there and do it."

But confidence is not a commodity Federer has a monopoly on and Hewitt says he has a fair measure of it himself. Federer is "only human", and when he finally comes back down to earth, as he surely must, the others will pounce.

Advertisement
Advertisement"He's got to make errors at some stage and we'll have to wait and see where it happens but hopefully it comes in Melbourne in a couple of weeks' time," he said. "I can definitely beat him, yeah, but it's not going to be easy and I think I know as well as anyone he's . . . the one to beat out there at the moment."

Hewitt says he is playing as well as when he was world No. 1 two years ago. "(The) last year has been as consistent a year as I think I've had . . . I put a lot of work in both on and off the court and it's really been paying off and the US summer, I hardly put a foot wrong and didn't lose a set until I made it to the US Open final.

"From then on, didn't play a lot of tennis towards the end and I still came out and played some of my best tennis, possibly my best match I have ever played against (Andy) Roddick in the semis of the Masters Cup."

Recently, Hewitt made headlines when his high-profile engagement to Belgian Kim Clijsters ended. Amazingly, he says, and in stark contrast to Davis Cup teammate Mark Philippoussis, whose relationship with singer Delta Goodrem appeared to correspond with the Scud's tumble down the rankings, Hewitt's private upheavals and the ensuing scrutiny have not been carried on to the court.

"(Media scrutiny's) part of being a professional athlete and it doesn't affect the way I play the game . . . Every time I get on the tennis court, I give 100 per cent . . . All my off-court matters haven't affected anything . . . on the court . . ." he said.

Socket
12-30-2004, 07:06 PM
Geez, I think Lleyton's new strategy is to blame Kim and the speed of the courts. :angel:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Melbourne Park too slow: Hewitt
December 30, 2004 - 1:49PM

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Melbourne-Park-too-slow-Hewitts/2004/12/30/1104344906608.html#

Australia's top tennis player Lleyton Hewitt has criticised the court surface at Melbourne Park, saying it is a factor behind the recent poor record of Australia's top players in the Australian Open.

Hewitt, the world No.3, has never advanced past the fourth round in his home grand slam event, and he said the slow speed of the Melbourne Park courts was partly responsible.

Hewitt said he had repeatedly urged Australian tennis officials to install faster courts at the venue, but there had been no response.

He said himself, retired former world No.1 Pat Rafter and Mark Philippoussis, Australia's top male players in recent years, had all had their best results on fast-paced courts.

"I don't know, at the end of the day it's their tournament, it's the Australian Open's business how they want the court," Hewitt told reporters in Adelaide.

"But I know the US Open would definitely be going up to (US players) Roddick and Sampras and Agassi and asking them what kind of surface they want and how quick they want it.

"At the end of the day, if one of those guys are in the semi or the final then it's making the USTA a hell of a lot of money."

Hewitt said the Melbourne Park courts were slower than they had been five years ago.

"Probably a lot slower," he said.

Hewitt said was not feeling any added pressure from realistically carrying the hopes of the nation into the Australian Open, as the only Australian man in the world's top 100.

"Not really, over the last few years the focus has just been on Flip (Philippoussis) and myself anyway," he said.

"Regardless of whether Flip's at his best right at the moment or not, if anyone gives him an outside shot or not, I've still got to just go out there and worry about my game.

"At the end of the day there's always going to be a lot of pressure, ever since I've probably started and especially since I've been at the top of the game, playing in your home grand slam, so there's not a whole lot I can do about that."
He, he, I can remember when Pete and Andre would have these public arguments about how fast the US Open surface should be. Pete always wanted it as fast as possible, while Andre wanted it medium slow. Pete almost always got his way. ;) ;)

NOMAD
12-31-2004, 12:22 AM
news video clips ;) practice with shirtless

Hewitt gives serve to organisers (7news) (http://www.seven.com.au/sunrise/popup_video/6220)

Hewitt courts controversy with Open blast (Sunrise) (http://www.seven.com.au/sunrise/popup_video/6232)

Lisbeth
12-31-2004, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the articles :) No comment on the surface issue :lol:

I don't know why it would surprise anyone that Lleyton can retain focus through personal stress. Don't they remember USO 2001?!

ally_014
12-31-2004, 06:23 AM
Some interesting comments re DC in the future - hopefully we can come up with some good kids to support him :)

Hewitt bemoans dearth of talent
Andrew McGarry
December 31, 2004

LLEYTON HEWITT believes Australia's proud Davis Cup tradition is in danger through an alarming lack of depth and fears he will have to shoulder too much of the load as the nation looks to celebrate its 100th year of participation in 2005.

With the Australian Open to begin in two weeks, Hewitt said the fact he is the only local male player ranked in the top 100 is "not good enough".

Hewitt also saved a full-blooded serve for Open organisers, declaring the Melbourne Park courts too slow and one of the reasons he has failed to advance past the round of 16 at the Grand Slam.

Speaking in Adelaide before his home-town tournament, which starts next week, Hewitt said the depth in Australian tennis was not up to scratch.

"Definitely, there need to be changes; changes made to produce more players, but right at the moment I'm probably not the best guy to ask purely because I haven't seen the whole structure," Hewitt said.

"But you look at the other countries coming through and we just don't have enough depth, it's as simple as that.

We have one guy in the top 100.

"For a Grand Slam nation that's not good enough. In the past, we've had more than a few people playing in junior Grand Slams, but they haven't been able to make that transition to the seniors and really get a world ranking in the top 150, 100. That's where you've got to be to be on the tour week in, week out."

Hewitt has a particular affection for Davis Cup, this year breaking Adrian Quist's record of 25 singles triumphs.

Much of his concerns centre on carrying on a tradition that has been a bedrock of Australian tennis for 99 years.

He feels it will be too difficult to build on the team's recent success, especially if Mark Philippoussis fails to revive his career.

"It's getting harder and harder every year," Hewitt said.

"I don't know how long Wayne (Arthurs) and Todd (Woodbridge) are going to be around playing either, so sooner or later I'm probably going to have to play doubles as well.

"Fitzy (John Fitzgerald) and Wally (Masur) both know I'm more than happy to do that, but it's not going to get any easier for me.

"I feel like every time I go out to play a Davis Cup tie I've got to play three pretty good matches (instead of two singles matches)."

In Adelaide, where he is the top seed, Hewitt will have more than home-crowd support as motivation to do well.

A place in the semi-final or final should be enough to push him from No.3 to No.2 in the world rankings, allowing him to avoid his nemesis, Swiss Roger Federer, until the final.

Hewitt said Sweden's Joachim Johansson - the boyfriend of his sister, Jaslyn - would be a tough opponent if their paths cross at Memorial Drive next week.

"He's a very dangerous player, he's obviously made huge inroads this year. He was qualifying in Adelaide a year ago, he's No.11 or 12 in the world now," Hewitt said.

"Over three sets it's probably tougher to play him than a best-of-five sets match because he can come out and hold his serve comfortably for a set or two, and you're in a tiebreak shoot-out."

Of the Australian Open, Hewitt was critical of the surface at Melbourne Park, saying it had slowed markedly in recent years.

Hewitt said he and others had been trying unsuccessfully to get organisers to change the courts.

The South Australian has had less success at his home Slam than at any other and while he attributed this to a number of factors - including a draw that pitted him against Federer in the round of 16 in 2004, and a bout of chickenpox in 2002 - he did apportion some blame to the slow speed of the courts.

"I don't know, at the end of the day it's their (the organisers') tournament, it's the Australian Open's business how they want the court," Hewitt said.

"But I know the US Open would definitely be going up to (Andy) Roddick and (Pete) Sampras and (Andre) Agassi and asking them what kind of surface they want and how quick they want it.

"At the end of the day, if one of those guys is in the semi or the final then it's making the USTA a hell of a lot of money."

Australian Open tournament director Paul McNamee said Hewitt would get his wish, with the courts to have extra pace.

"It is actually a bit quicker than last year," McNamee said in response to Hewitt's comments.

"I'm sure when he gets to Melbourne and actually plays on the court, he'll be happier.

"We've been asking Rebound to try to tweak it a bit quicker the last couple of years, but they have really only been able to do it this year because they have been able to tweak the base.

"They've been able to deliver what we were asking for."

McNamee said the courts would be their fastest since 2000, when he was forced to apologise to players who believed they were too quick.

He said there had been approaches from the Hewitt camp requesting a faster surface, but not from the player himelf.

"Lleyton hasn't really bought into it directly," McNamee said.

"There have been some people in his camp that have put feelers out."

McNamee said the needs of local players were always at the forefront of organisers' minds.

"We do what we can for the Aussies. That's why we have the training camp and try and get them used it, and have the same balls and the same courts," he said.

"At the end of the day, it is an international event, it's a Grand Slam, and you have to remember that as well."

NOMAD
12-31-2004, 07:23 AM
thanks for the article,Ally:kiss:

Interviews :D (much better than reading news articles)
Lleyton Hewitt press conference

This is an edited interview held with Lleyton Hewitt, top seed at the 2005 Next Generation Hardcourts, on December 30, 2004.

Why is Adelaide the right start for you?

I always wanted to come back and play here. Itís where it all started for me. Iíve given the Hopman Cup a run for the past three years and felt like, you know, at the end of the day, to get a real tournament under my belt where thereís ranking points on the line and youíve got to go out there and win every match to get match practice out there as well so thereís extra incentive to get those matches under your belt going in.

What about the depth?

Actually I wouldnít have a clue whoís playing. Iím just worrying about my own game. At the end of the day I think Iím playing well enough at the moment to go out there and put everyone under a lot of pressure. I feel like Iím hitting the ball extremely well. Thereís certainly no easy matches. At the start of the year I know as well as anyone youíve got go out there and get the job done, but I couldnít be happier with the way Iím hitting the ball.

Given that a lot of people would probably come here to watch you play, do you feel any more expectations playing at home?

Thereís always going to be more expectation and pressure put on, probably more so from you guys than anyone else so, Iíve just to go out there and get the job down. At the end of the day itís a bit different when I came here as a 23-year-old, with all the results that Iíve had in the past compared with when I was 16 or 17 coming here. It really was the be-all and end-all. For me this is about preparing myself as well as possible for Melbourne in three or four weeks time. By January 17 I want to be hitting my peak but I feel Adelaide and Sydney this year is going to give me great preparation for that.

As you look forward to next year, is that the big goal, winning the Aussie Open?

Itís obviously a huge goal but it doesnít get any easier either. No matter what happens in a monthís time, if Iím able to win it or lose it, whatever, itís still not going to be the end of the world. Thereís still a lot of big tournaments out for the rest of the year and a lot of things that Iíd enjoy capturing and obviously trying to get the Davis Cup team up again into a position where we can maybe make the semis or final there and the other three majors. I feel like this year I had a good shot at all four majors and wasnít quite able to take them and ran into one guy in particular who was too good in three out of the four. I think next year can definitely be a big year in the majors.

You said Roger Federer was setting the benchmark in the last year or so. What makes him so good and what do you have to do to bridge the gap?

Yeah, I think confidence has a huge thing to do with it. When you are on top of the game and youíre winning a lot of matches, a lot of big matches, when youíre playing the best guys in the world thereís only two or three points in a match that changes the outcome of a match and Rogerís been that confident on big points, he goes for the big second serve, he comes up with the huge backhand, half volley on the baseline. Heís pulling the trigger at the right points and thatís what makes him so good though. Under pressure, heís able to come out there and do it. Heís human though, and heís going to make errors at some stage and weíll have to wait and see when it happens but hopefully it comes in Melbourne in a couple of weeks time.

Do you think you have the confidence to beat him?

I can definitely beat him, yeah. But itís not going to be easy and I think I know as well as anyone, heís definitely the man to beat out there at the moment.

What motivates you nowadays? Is it getting back to No.1 or winning Grand Slams along the way?

Itís more Grand Slams. I donít want to go out and play week in, week out and try and chase my ranking or get it up an extra spot. At the end of the day though, if you go out there and put yourself in a position to win Grand Slams then youíre going to be very close to 1, 2 or 3 in the world. To get that close, then sure, Iíd love to have another crack at trying to get No.1 but at the end of the day Iíd prefer to just concentrate on playing my best tennis at the majors.

Are you playing as well now as when you were No.1?

For sure. This last year has been as consistent a year as Iíve ever had, even when I was number one. Roger (Rasheed) and I have put a lot of work in both on and off the court and itís really been paying off. The US summer, hardly put a foot wrong, didnít lose a set until the US Open final and from then on I didnít play a lot of tennis towards the end but I still came out and played some of my best tennis, plus one of the best matches Iíve ever played against Roddick in the semis in the Masters Cup. At the moment thereís only been one guy I havenít been able to sort of handle in the last 12 months, 18 months or so.

Have you adapted your game at all?

No point worrying about him (Federer) right at the moment. Heís not playing here in Adelaide or Sydney and I if can get the No.2 seeding I wonít have to worry about him until I play a Sunday night final at the Aussie Open. Thereís plenty of other good players out there youíve got to be very wary of, so you donít just want to focus on one particular guy but obviously youíre going to have to try and do something different if I do come up against him.

You seem pretty relaxed out there, how much does it help to have all your mates around you, training?

Yeah, itís good. Itís nice to be back home and chill out and not have the stress of hotels and travelling around where you donít know your way. To be able to sit back. I enjoy playing here, the weather, this is where it all started as well. I have a lot of mates come out here and support and theyíll be supporting me and Roger in the doubles, too.

Andrew McLeod said the other week that you inspire him with his training, what does he do for you?

Oh, nothing (laughter). He catches barramundi for meÖno, heís been great. :lol: Obviously heís a guy that Iíve looked up to. Obviously Iíve been able to get a close friendship as well, which has been fantastic. Heís going to have a game on Sunday night in a charity event, so weíll see how he goes with a racquet in his hand.

He says he beats you on an X Box?

He is the best X Box tennis player I have ever seen, I just wish he could do it on the real court.:haha:

How about that trip away to Darwin, what was that like?

It was good. Iíve never been to the Northern Territory so a lot of fishing, a lot of different stuff, a lot of Aboriginal art stuff and seeing their whole culture up there as well. It was great for me to get away from it for a couple of weeks.

Do you notice a different level of expectation playing a Grand Slam in your own country than the other three during the year and how do you deal with that?

A little bit more because of the media side of it, playing in your own country, but in terms of Grand Slams and putting expectation and pressure on myself, I expect the best every time I go into all four majors. I donít put any added pressure on myself just because itís in Australia. I think everyone knows how much I would love to win the Australian Open though and win your home title, but every Grand Slamís tough going in there. To win seven best of five set matches isnít easy. You need a little bit of luck along the way and youíve got to try and stay as relaxed as possible through the two weeks.

You havenít made it past the fourth round of the Aussie Open, is there a particular reason why youíve found it harder?

Thereís probably been a number of reasons. Every yearís been a little bit different. This year, playing Federer, I could have easily been on the other side of the draw and made the final against him. The year before I lost a bit of a freak match to (Younes) El Aynaoui. I didnít break serve for four sets. I canít remember the last time I havenít broken a blokeís serve in four sets. Then I had chicken pox before that. Every yearís been a bit different but hopefully this year, who knows, I might make it into the quarterfinals and it all might open up.

In the last couple of decades itís seemed that Australians have had a lot of trouble, is it particularly hard to win the Australian Open?

The three of us, probably myself, Pat Rafter and Flip (Mark Philippoussis) have all Ė our best results have been at Wimbledon and the US Open. Maybe the court surface has a little bit to do with that. It suited our games better, all three of us. Thereís no doubt that the US Open has been my best Grand Slam. Iíve made the semis at least the last four or five years now so I feel extremely confident on that surface. Itís probably a little bit to do with that. Pat had a great opportunity a few years where he led Agassi two sets to one and started cramping late in the fourth set. In a semi Ė he would have played Clement in the final, so he had a huge opportunity there. I know Flip and I havenít made it past the fourth round, hopefully itís just a matter of time.

Do you feel extra pressure being Australiaís main chance at the Open?

Not really. Over the past few years the focus has just been on Flip and myself anyway, regardless of whether Flipís at his best or not or if anyone gives him an outside shot or not. Iíve just got to go out there and worry about my game. At the end of the day, thereís always going to be a lot of pressure ever since I started and ever since Iíve been at the top of the game. Playing your home Grand Slam, thereís not a whole heap I can do about that.

The next guy ranked below you is Joachim Johansson. How do you rate him?

Heís a very dangerous player. Obviously heís made huge inroads throughout this year. He lost in qualifying in Adelaide a year ago. Heís 11 or 12 in the world, heís got a huge game, heís very dangerous, very flashy out there and over three sets itís tougher to play him than a best of five sets match because he can come out there and hold his serve very comfortably for a set or two and youíre in a tiebreak shoot-out. It would be nice to have the opportunity to play him if we both get through to the final.

Do you agree with the sentiments that were expressed recently that Australian tennis Ė thereís a bit of a dearth of talent?

I donít know. I havenít spent enough time back here looking at the younger guys. There definitely needs to be changes made to try and produce more players. Right at the moment Iím probably not the best guy to ask purely because I havenít seen the whole structure enough, Iím not back here enough to be hands on with that. Thereís definitely Ė you look at the other countries coming through and we just donít have enough depth. Itís as simple as that. To have one guy in the top 100, for a Grand Slam nation itís not good enough.

Is it purely a numbers game, just not enough players on the ground?

I donít know. I donít know if itís not enough players or not enough the 15, 16-year-olds coming through and making that next jump from juniors to seniors. In the past weíve had quite a few players playing in junior grand Slams. They havenít been able to make that transition to the seniors and really get a world ranking like the top 150, 100 in the world. And thatís where youíve got to be to be on the Tour week in, week out.

Young Nathan (Healey), he looks like heís hitting the ball pretty hardÖ

Yeah, we grew up together. We spent a lot of time overseas. He concentrated on doubles, he got in an awkward situation with singles and trying to focus, a lot of players get in that situation when they get in the top 50 in doubles and they canít play singles week in, week out, but heís decided to drop doubles for a while and try to get back into singles this year. Heís made a huge improvement over the last year or so. Itís good to see he got a wildcard into quallies. Heís got a lot of potential. He wants to improve and become a better player, which is a good thing. He can definitely improve from where his rankingís at the moment. Heís got a great opportunity this week in a qualifying field thatís probably not the toughest qualifying field for tournaments week in, week out around the world. So thereís a big opportunity for a lot of young Australians this week.

kim-fan
12-31-2004, 08:29 AM
:worship: thank you! really nice interview

lleyki4eva
01-02-2005, 08:22 AM
thanx 4 the interview!!!

Yasmine
01-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the interview Nomad! ;)
And you're right I prefer interviews to articles as well... :cool: