The "HOLY CRAP HE WON AN ATP TITLE! ON CLAY!" clay thread (next up: Tunica CH)!!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "HOLY CRAP HE WON AN ATP TITLE! ON CLAY!" clay thread (next up: Tunica CH)!!!!

Deboogle!.
04-10-2006, 03:10 AM
YAY MARDY KEEP WINNING.

That is all.

surfpinky
04-10-2006, 03:14 AM
JUST KEEP WINNING, JUST KEEP WINNING, JUST KEEP WINNING WINNING WINNING *

(*to the tune of '"just keep swimming" by dory)

Deboogle!.
04-10-2006, 03:16 AM
Oh and in Houston Mardy drew #8 seed Juan Monaco and is playing doubles with James :)

He's also playing the Bermuda Challenger.. and probaby a couple of those other US green clay challengers :)

Aleksa's Laydee
04-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Keep on rising those rankings mardy :D

Deboogle!.
04-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Mardy def. Juan Monaco 6-2 1-6 7-6!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

6 matches in a row!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

surfpinky
04-12-2006, 12:23 AM
HOLY FISH I DON'T BELIEVE IT |:

AND ON CLAY |:

aceit
04-12-2006, 12:39 AM
YIPEEEEEE!!!!! :bounce:

tangerine_dream
04-12-2006, 02:48 AM
Fantastic recovery and win, Mardy! :yippee: On clay, too :eek: Boy, this week just keeps getting better and better. :banana:

Short blurb from the Sun-Sentinel today:

Any question now about Mardy Fish's decision to play hardcourt Challengers in the United States instead of qualifying on red clay in Europe? Fully recovered from wrist surgery, he won at Tallahassee over the weekend and got a 49-spot bump in the rankings to No. 212. At the very least, that puts him into the qualifying of the French Open. The ranking cut-off is April 23, so he's not going to reach No. 110, which is about what he would need to get straight in. ...

New article :D

Resurgent Fish Wins in 3 Sets
By Dale Robertson, Houston Chronicle

Apr. 12--In addition to being frequent doubles partners -- they'll play together today -- Mardy Fish and James Blake are the best of friends. This seems to be a good thing for Fish right now as he tries to drag himself out of the same kind of hole Blake had to escape.

Blake has been, and will continue to be, both a role model and a cheerleader for Fish. It's nice having someone so close providing evidence that a full recovery is possible. Fish's faith in the body's healing power doesn't have to be blind. He saw how low Blake was not so long ago. Today, he sees where his buddy is now, having cracked the top 10 and enjoying the best days of his tennis life.

Blake had been playing so well that, heading into the U.S.-Chile Davis Cup tie last weekend, speculation was rife that he -- not Andy Roddick -- was the new flag-bearer for American tennis. But Roddick put an end to such talk by playing the hero against the Chileans while Blake suffered a pair of defeats.

Roddick also won easily in the first round of the U.S. Clay Court Championships on Tuesday night, beating Paul Capdeville 6-3, 6-2, while Blake struggled against Antony Dupuis, losing 7-6 (2), 3-6, 6-1.

The French journeyman, ranked 151 spots below Blake, fought back from a love-40 deficit against his serve in the fifth game of the third set to take a 4-1 lead and essentially seal the victory over the second-seeded, eighth-ranked American. In Dupuis' case, having to qualify was a major asset. He'd already played and won three matches at Westside, while Blake had barely checked out the dirt after playing on grass in California over the weekend.

"The courts were great, the balls were great, and the fans were great," Blake said. "No excuses. (Roddick) had to make the same adjustment. Antony served very well. These guys are all so good you have to be on top of your game every night."

Blake's recent rough patch, however, does nothing to devalue what he has accomplished over the last 12 months.

"It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy," Fish says, reveling in Blake's renaissance.

Fish, who held off marathon man Juan Monaco 6-2, 1-6, 7-6 (5) earlier Tuesday, may be in the process of following suit, having won 11 of his past 13 matches. He comes to Houston off a Challenger Series victory in Tallahassee, Fla., and beating the Argentine clay-courter Monaco in a grueling 2 1/2 -hour battle offers proof he's fully recovered physically as he attempts to reclaim a spot in the top 20 in the not-so-distant future.

Fish had reached No. 17 before his world fell apart.

The parallels in his and Blake's stories are spooky. Everything started to go south for Blake during a practice session in Rome two years ago, when he nearly killed himself colliding headfirst with a net post. Last year at the Foro Italico, also during a workout before the same Master Series tournament, Fish unleashed a ground stroke and immediately knew he'd done something very bad to his wrist.

Two operations, 10 lost months and much rehab later, he's trying to fight his way back from the plus-200 rankings hinterlands. Blake had also fallen below 200 as the effects of his Rome injuries were compounded by the subsequent loss of his father to cancer and a viral infection that gave him vertigo and badly impaired his sight.

Fish could at least stay fit while he was off the tour.

"I worked really hard when I was off because that's really all I could do," he said. "So I feel strong. It's just a matter of putting points together and remembering how I played, trying to get to the net and play the way I play best."

MEN'S CLAY COURT SUMMARY

Running out of steam The clock struck 12 for Juan Monaco on Tuesday, both literally and figuratively. After three more sets, multiple comebacks and yet another tiebreaker, the River Oaks finalist was ousted from the Clay Courts in the first round by Mardy Fish.

Predictably, Monaco didn't go down easily. He and Fish played for 2 hours, 31 minutes before the American prevailed 6-2, 1-6, 7-6 (5). That means since Friday night at River Oaks, Monaco had to play 12 sets of singles plus two sets and a super-tiebreaker of doubles and spent just over 12 hours on the court.

He's been involved in five tiebreakers since Saturday afternoon.

And not once did he show fatigue.

"That's Juan," Fish said, clearly relieved to have the 22-year-old Argentine out of the way. "He's in great shape. That's his best weapon, wearing other players down."

Fish, who just flew in from Florida where he won a Challenger tournament, wasn't aware of Monaco's weekend marathon across town. Told about it, he smiled knowingly.

"I played him in the Australian Open last year," Fish said. "Beat him 9-7 in the fifth. It took 4 1/2 hours."

aceit
04-12-2006, 07:31 PM
:lol: I remember that AO match...I was up until like 3 watching livescoring on my computer. :tape:

Thanks for the blurb and article!

tangerine_dream
04-12-2006, 07:54 PM
I just read that Mardy will be playing at the Forest Hills Clay Court Challenge in New York this coming May. Finally, I'll get to see some live tennis, and Mardy too! :banana:

Deboogle!.
04-12-2006, 08:44 PM
YAY TANGY!!

Jennay
04-13-2006, 12:27 AM
MUCHO GUSTO MARDY :hearts:

Aleksa's Laydee
04-13-2006, 01:52 PM
On clay :eek: holy cow!!! yaaaaaaaaaaay MARDY!!! :woohoo:

Deboogle!.
04-13-2006, 10:15 PM
it seems Rainer pulled out with some sort of injury so Mardy is into the QFs with a walkover. Would've been nice for him to play and win it outright but it's points, he'll take it.

aceit
04-14-2006, 01:35 AM
Aw, too bad for Rainer.
Way to intimiate your opponent, Mardy. ;)

Deboogle!.
04-14-2006, 01:43 AM
:lol:

in the QF, mardy will play VINNAY, who beat Marcos through retirement...

Aleksa's Laydee
04-14-2006, 12:11 PM
quarters...yay :D Lets go mardy

HEiKE
04-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Yay! Go Mardy! Kick Vinces butt cos I cant stand that guy!

Deboogle!.
04-14-2006, 10:38 PM
It seems Mardy won 4-6 7-6(1) 6-2 :eek: Vinnay was up a break like 4 times in the 2nd set including serving for the match at 5*-4.. maybe Vinnay got hurt or something but still MARDY IN THE SEMIS AND EIGHT MATCHES IN A ROW AND THIS WILL HELP HIS RANKING A WHOLE WHOLE LOT!!!!!

Katdiva7
04-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Yeah for Mardy! Keep it up!

Deboogle!.
04-14-2006, 10:51 PM
:D:D

aceit
04-14-2006, 11:11 PM
good lord i'm so happy...

Jennay
04-14-2006, 11:16 PM
MARDY!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :banana: :woohoo:

:worship: :eek:

Deboogle!.
04-14-2006, 11:27 PM
He's gonna gain like at least 60 ranking spots from these semifinal points.

pieross
04-15-2006, 03:56 AM
yaaaaah!!Mardy into the semi-final!!!!
Come On MARDY!!

Deboogle!.
04-15-2006, 04:11 AM
Flake won too. Both of the semis will be on TTC tomorrow :)

Aleksa's Laydee
04-15-2006, 09:17 AM
semis!!!! im so happy for him, brilliant stuff!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Saturn66
04-15-2006, 09:22 AM
good for Mardy!!!

aceit
04-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Have fun watching it, Deb!
I'm jealous. :p

Deboogle!.
04-15-2006, 03:16 PM
i'll try.

With all these matches, starting last week at Tallahassee where he played 5 and this week he'll have played a lot and he's playing the next several continuous weeks in the green clay challengers, I think we'll see a lot about Mardy's fitness and how far he really has come during his time off. I hope he holds up well :)

Aleksa's Laydee
04-15-2006, 06:37 PM
good luck tonight mardy and flake..you can do it :D

aceit
04-16-2006, 12:30 AM
Tommy retired.
Mardy's in the final.
Wow.

pieross
04-16-2006, 01:06 AM
:sad: Tommy.....

gOoD Luck Mardy!!!! :cool:
:woohoo: win a title!!
GO FLAKE TOO! :D

tangerine_dream
04-16-2006, 02:21 AM
Bad luck for Tommy but wow :haha: Mardy! Into his first final. On clay. :banana: Good luck tomorrow Fishy! :bounce:

edit

piccies :D

Golfnduck
04-16-2006, 02:47 AM
WIN THE TOURNAMENT MARDY!!!! :bigclap: :woohoo:

Jennay
04-16-2006, 03:22 AM
:eek: :sad: Tommy :hug:

MARDY!!!!!! :woohoo:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-16-2006, 05:08 AM
Good luck to him in final. :rocker:

Aleksa's Laydee
04-16-2006, 10:29 AM
mardy mardy mardy mardy...YAY!!!!!! COME ON :D:D:D:D

alfonsojose
04-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Hi, Mardy Fans :wavey:

Go Fishy :drool: :devil: :aparty:

Aleksa's Laydee
04-16-2006, 07:29 PM
AHHHHHHHHHH HE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Golfnduck
04-16-2006, 07:42 PM
WAY TO GO MARDY!!!!! What a great tournament to win :yeah: :bigclap: :woohoo:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Sad for Tommy,but glad about his win! :aparty:
He helps me to win 700 too! :smooch:

Jennay
04-16-2006, 07:54 PM
WOOHOO MARDY!!!!! :banana: :woohoo: :dance:

I am so happy for him! :D :D :D

tangerine_dream
04-16-2006, 07:59 PM
I can't believe it. I just can't believe it. :sobbing: From a less-than-zero has-been who crashed out in the first round of every tournament he entered, to back-to-back winning titles, one of them on clay. Wow wow wow. I'm so haaaapppeeeeee. :D *sob*

Congrats and welcome back, Mardy! :banana:

-sOfia-
04-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Mardyyyyyyy!!!!!! WTG. :yeah:

-sOfia-
04-16-2006, 08:16 PM
http://img447.imageshack.us/img447/7929/17kd1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 08:17 PM
:woohoo:

Bermuda's up next, he's in the draw....

ranking will go up close to 100 spots tomorrow

-sOfia-
04-16-2006, 08:18 PM
:sobbing:

http://img447.imageshack.us/img447/9865/22ee.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img417.imageshack.us/img417/3986/37sc.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img417.imageshack.us/img417/1378/43wl.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img417.imageshack.us/img417/7537/50ri.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:D:D:D:D WTG Mardaaay!

aceit
04-16-2006, 08:54 PM
OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
WAY TO GO, MARDY! :D :D :D :D

Fee
04-16-2006, 08:55 PM
From time to time Justin jokes with me that beating him in the Aus Open 1st round is what kick started Baghdatis' career. He'll probably joke that Mardy beating him in the first round of Tallahassee led to Mardy getting into the Top 100! :lol:

This is such an excellent result for Mardy, and I hope he can carry it to Bermuda and win 3 in a row. He has worked hard for this and he is on his way to getting back to where he belongs, in the Top 20.

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Some more pics... some are the same that Sofia posted but are the higher-res versions :)

surfpinky
04-16-2006, 09:06 PM
kljsdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffaiwoeer vlkmdslkfklas vklsjdfkl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 09:13 PM
the TTC commentators are convinced that Mardy won't go to RG and play qualifying. Do they forget that James did last year? I don't see why Mardy wouldn't. He's gotta feel like he'd have a good shot to get in the draw.

acoffeygirl
04-16-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm so happy for him!!!!! This so great!!! Deb, I know I've said this before, but I'm so glad we got to see him play at IW!!!

Aleksa's Laydee
04-16-2006, 09:33 PM
amazing piccies :D:D:D :inlove: :hearts: SOOO GOOD AND HOT

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 10:37 PM
there are like A MILLION pictures at the tourney site
http://www.mensclaycourt.com/photos/finals_singles/photos.html

surfpinky
04-16-2006, 10:53 PM
danke deb :kiss: !! !! !!

surfpinky
04-16-2006, 10:54 PM
ooo bo, thomas and james were there

pieross
04-16-2006, 10:57 PM
yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Mardy u r the greatest one!~
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OMG!!!!!!!!
Well Done Mardy!

surfpinky
04-16-2006, 10:57 PM
goodness gracious, those are a lot of pictures |:

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Yes, it takes almost as long to look through them as the match :haha:

Aleksa's Laydee
04-16-2006, 11:14 PM
its going to take a while to get through those!! :D

surfpinky
04-16-2006, 11:16 PM
deb, you saw the match right? :D

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 11:16 PM
DUH OF COURSE I DID :D

surfpinky
04-16-2006, 11:17 PM
:D
so, I take it his backhands were :drool: :hearts: :inlove:

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 11:19 PM
DUH LOOK AT THE TITLE UNDER MY USERNAME

:p

surfpinky
04-16-2006, 11:21 PM
=pd:

besides him, what else was :hearts: :inlove: :drool:?

surfpinky
04-16-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm happy that mardy is not a one-title-wonder anymore [:

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 11:22 PM
hehehe that's all.

surfpinky
04-16-2006, 11:24 PM
ah.

tangerine_dream
04-17-2006, 04:04 AM
there are like A MILLION pictures at the tourney site
http://www.mensclaycourt.com/photos/finals_singles/photos.html
Finally. Some pictures of Mardy to stare at for once. :D

Jennay
04-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Mardy Fish is cute. :hearts:

tangerine_dream
04-17-2006, 05:12 PM
I take it Steve Tignor isn't a fan of Mardy. :o

http://66.232.148.140/blogs/thewrap/index.asp

http://66.232.148.140/blogs/thewrap/images/2006_04_17_b.jpg
Late in the evening, I finally got a look at the men’s singles final in Houston. The matchup was a bit of a shocker: Mardy Fish vs. Jurgen Melzer. These are two of the ATP’s bigger goofs. Melzer is a creative player who hits one of the game’s most unlikely shots, a jumping two-handed drop shot, from anywhere on the court. He’s also been known to blow leads, and he did it again yesterday. Fish, a former Top 25 players now ranked in the 200s, is a sort of prankster little brother to Andy Roddick. Yesterday, with his untouched, dude-your-roots-are-showing hairdo, shorts that were falling off his waist, and quarter-cut socks, he looked ready for an early morning practice session, not a final. But the guy is blessed with a big serve, a powerful forehand, and a reliable backhand. It was enough to beat an inconsistent Melzer.

Fish was even better during his celebration. He fell on his back, tried unsuccessfully to jump into the stands to hug his coach, and eventually plopped into his chair on the sidelines, where a ball boy was standing right behind him. Without turning around, Fish stuck his hand out to his side, palm up—“give me five.” Right on cue, the boy’s hand darted out and touched Fish’s for a split-second. A quick, cool congrats from one kid to another.

Deboogle!.
04-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Geez, someone ate bitter cereal for breakfast :o Here's from the Houston Chronicle :)
=============
U.S. MEN'S CLAY COURT CHAMPIONSHIPS

Fish lands a big one
Second career win boosts American's ranking from 212 to 121
By DALE ROBERTSON
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Mardy Fish might be the new king of American clay-court tennis, succeeding Andy Roddick, his childhood chum, at Westside Tennis Club on Easter Sunday, but it hasn't turned his head or changed his objectives for the long haul.

No way he is going to risk becoming a little fish in those big ponds across the pond this spring. Monte Carlo? Rome? Hamburg? Forget it. Roland Garros? Maybe. But, for now, Fish returns to the Challenger Circuit grind in Bermuda this week. He intends to play four of those minor-league events for the purpose of getting his ATP ranking back to where it will ensure him safe passage into the 128-man main draw at Wimbledon.:yeah:

Fish bit off a big chunk of what he needed Sunday, beating Jurgen Melzer 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 to win the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships and climb, in one fell swoop, from No. 212 all the way to 121. His goal remains the same as it was when he arrived — to be no worse than No. 100 six weeks before Wimbledon.:)

"It's reachable now," Fish said after turning the tables on Melzer with nearly flawless serving over the final two sets. "I've got to forget about (what I've done) the last two weeks, bear down again and start over."

The 24-year-old American, whose only previous ATP title in seven finals came at Stockholm in 2003, was coming off a victory in the Tallahassee, Fla., Challenger, a hardcourts tournament. He had practiced for just an hour on Westside's red clay :eek::eek: and almost was eliminated in the first round by Juan Monaco, the relentless River Oaks International runner-up, needing to win a tense third-set tiebreaker to advance.

But thereafter things nicely fell into place for him. He received a walkover when Rainer Schuettler, a former top-10 player, fell ill, he got to play Vince Spadea instead of Australian Open runner-up Marcos Baghdatis, who retired against Spadea with a backache, and then Tommy Haas had to quit in the semifinals because of a sore wrist after he conveniently had eliminated the defending champion Roddick.

Match turns in second set

In the Austrian Melzer, 24, Fish was facing someone who had won just a single ATP match in 2006 before finding his groove in Houston, profiting from a rash of upsets around him in the lower half of the draw. So when Fish called his week — good for all those pennies-from-heaven ranking points, never mind the $52,000 winner's check — an "incredible" one, he was hardly overstating the case.

Melzer seemed the stronger player at the outset, breaking Fish to take the first set, but the Texas heat and sunshine appeared to drain him just as Fish was finding his groove. A double fault cost Melzer a break point in the momentum-turning seventh game of the second set, and Fish seized the opportunity with a screaming backhand winner. :worship:

Hard work finally pays off

He broke Melzer twice in the third set — the fatal final one, at love, also included a double fault — while holding serve three times at love. A sloppily netted Melzer backhand volley ended the match, and Fish promptly flopped on his back, where he lay for several seconds, letting the realization of his unexpected triumph sink in.:D

But Fish is suffering no delusions of grandeur, and that's why he isn't going to spin his wheels attempting to qualify for the big European clay-court tournaments leading into Roland Garros. What he really wants is to do well enough at Wimbledon to be comfortably situated, rankings-wise, for his bread-and-butter hardcourts season that culminates with the U.S. Open.

Compared to the A-list dirt-ballers, none of whom played Houston, Fish remains a minnow. Rafael Nadal, he isn't.

"It's rewarding," he said, "to know a lot of hard work paid off for me on a surface that's not even close to my best."

After climbing into the top 20 two years ago and winning an Olympic silver medal at Athens, Fish's 2005 season turned into a disaster, wrecked by two wrist operations. But, during the periods when he was unable to play tennis, he focused on increasing his fitness. Once he got back on the court again, he was in the best shape of his career.

Melzer, who has played well enough in Houston to advance as far as the semis three times, had his best tournament, reaching the singles and doubles finals. But he wasn't in a celebratory mood late Sunday afternoon. He and countryman Julian Knowle also went down to defeat 5-7, 6-4, 10-5 in the latter, having let a 4-1 second-set lead get away.

Plus Melzer also had a terrible sunburn, the result of having to play three afternoon matches over the weekend.

"I'm very disappointed right now," he said. "It was not my day. I should be leaving with at least one championship."

Aleksa's Laydee
04-17-2006, 11:00 PM
That guys a knob ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mardys been in seven finals!! :eek: oh my god!! didnt know that :eek:

Deboogle!.
04-18-2006, 12:37 AM
Fish overcoming obstacles, opponents
By Bonnie DeSimone
Special to ESPN.com

Mardy Fish faced a slew of physical and psychological challenges while recovering from two wrist surgeries that put his career on hold last spring, just after he'd broken into the ranks of top U.S. players.

Fish slogged through tedious rehab and a long hiatus from competition before returning to the men's tour this season. Yet arguably the hardest thing he's done on his climb back up is to take a step down.

The 24-year-old entered and won a Challenger tournament in Tallahassee, Fla., earlier this month while preparing for the U.S. Clay Court Championships in Houston. Fish last played on the second-tier circuit in late 2002, when he was still in dues-paying mode.

After a stellar 2004 -- when he won an Olympic silver medal, played in the Davis Cup finals, sampled life in the top 20 and socked a batting-practice home run at Shea Stadium during the U.S. Open -- it would be hard to describe returning to the Challenger level as anything but grunt work.

"He probably viewed those days as being done," said Todd Martin, one of Fish's co-coaches (the other is fellow ex-pro Scott Humphries).

But "winning breeds winning," a happy Fish said Sunday by phone from Houston, where he had just defeated Jurgen Melzer of Austria 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 to collect his second tournament victory in as many weekends and his second career ATP title.

"You feel like you shouldn't be there, but you have to be there," Fish said of his decision to play in Tallahassee. "I know I don't want to be there very much, but in order not to be there, I have to win. You just get into that mind-set and you do what you have to.

"I wanted to go there and be the favorite and win, and I did."

Fish certainly wasn't favored in Houston, where he came in as a 212th-ranked wild card. His friend and defending champion Andy Roddick loomed in the draw, along with 2004 champion Tommy Haas of Germany, charismatic Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis, top Americans James Blake and Robby Ginepri, and a handful of low-profile, slug-it-out clay courters.

Good fortune combined with Fish's sweat equity propelled him through the draw. He beat then-No. 91 Juan Monaco of Argentina in the first round. Rainer Schuettler of Germany withdrew before their second-round match with stomach problems. Meanwhile, No. 22 Baghdatis retired from his second-round match, pairing Fish with 74th-ranked Vince Spadea in the next round instead.

Finally, Haas arrived in the semis worn down from a three-set bash-fest with Roddick in the quarters and retired with a sore wrist down 4-1 in the first set.

Fish could relate, but felt no less sense of accomplishment when he lined up across the net from Melzer, who is ranked 65th this week. It was Fish's first final since late 2004 and his first tournament on clay since the 2004 French Open. (He won his only other ATP title in Stockholm in 2003.)

With the exception of Haas, all the players Fish faced in Houston were "guys I feel I should beat if I bear down," said Fish, now 8-6 on the season.

Martin, who watched the final on tape after Easter dinner at his in-laws' home in Florida, said that after Fish dropped the first set to Melzer, "I saw a general willingness and eagerness to attack, especially at the net. … Every time he commits to that, he gets good results."

Fish played well in the Masters Series events in Indian Wells and Miami last month, but, "I think the tournament in Tallahassee helped a lot," Martin said.

"Having just won a tournament put him in a position to have some of the emotions you experience in a final," Martin said. "He's beaten good tennis players and sustained a level of play himself that's allowed him to be successful."

Fish jumped 91 ranking spots to land at No. 121 -- probably just beyond range of making the main draw of the French Open. He'll barnstorm through a few more Challengers (starting with a tournament in Bermuda this week), in hopes of ratcheting up his ranking in time to book a trip to Wimbledon.

Grass has been good to Fish in the past. He reached the final in Halle, Germany, in 2004 and Nottingham, England, in 2003, losing to Roger Federer and Greg Rusedski, respectively. He also pushed Federer to four sets in the round of 32 at Wimbledon in 2003.

FishLover4
04-18-2006, 12:55 AM
yahhhh Mardyyyyy!!!!!!!

tangerine_dream
04-18-2006, 04:26 PM
http://www.tennisreporters.net/tr_net_photos_art/FISH_ml_sj_04_stretch_400.jpg
Mardy Fish goes from Challenger to ATP Tour victories.

A minor miracle for Fish
By Matthew Cronin, TennisReporters.net

Before last week, Mardy Fish had showed little indication that he was all the way back from the wrist injury that took him out of action for most of last year. But, after outlasting Jurgen Melzer 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 to win the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships in Houston, Fish showed that he can still rip a line off a reel.

The Olympic silver medalist came into the tournament with a 4-6 match record this year and survived a decent field that included Andy Roddick (who fell to Tommy Haas in the quarters) Marcos Baghdatis (who got hurt and retired) and Haas (who retired against Fish with wrist injury in the semis). But no matter. The athletic all-courter won his first tournament on clay and that's a very good sign that he's been putting in a lot of hours off court. Once the No. 2 man of the US Davis Cup team, Fish became an afterthought last year and for the first three months of the this year. Now he gives US fans another serious player to contemplate.

"I definitely didn't expect to win the tournament this week, and I have always wanted to come to this tournament and play well," Fish said. "I love this tournament. I took advantage of my chances in the second and third and got a win. I felt like I was playing well in Indian Wells and Miami and winning the Challenger last week. After winning here, I'm very confident. I feel like I am playing good tennis, and I definitely don't feel like the comeback is complete. I've still a long ways to go. I'm still outside the Top 100; so I need to keep going, and keep motivated and positive."

It was Fish's first title since '03 Stockholm.

BRICKER: Fish has endurance to win

Mardy Fish's hard work off the court paid off with a victory at the U.S. Clay Court Championships.

Published April 18, 2006

There was never anything unusual about Mardy Fish rising as early as 6:30, but there was a time not so long ago when his primary reasons for rolling out of bed were a robust breakfast and 18 holes of golf.

That changed after the first of his two wrist surgeries in 2005. Unable to hit, Fish got on the most comprehensive training program of his life, and the results of all those months of hard off-court work were on display Sunday in the final of the U.S. Clay Court Championships in Houston.

There's still time for golf, but it comes after road work and after the weight room.

Fish winning on clay? It was inconceivable a year ago. Before Houston, Fish had a career dirt-ball record of 5-11. He was 0 for 2 at the French Open.

But in four matches on red clay in Houston, Fish took down the skilled Argentine Juan Monaco in a 2½-hour, three-set match in the first round, then triumphed over Vince Spadea, Tommy Haas, who retired 4-1 into the opening set with a wrist problem of his own, and Jurgen Melzer in the final.

I'm not making light of the very serious wrist problems that put Fish's tennis on hold for a year, but it might have been one of the best things that happened to his game.

It more or less forced him to get extremely serious about his fitness, and those people who know him well will tell you he's grown up a lot. At the recent U.S.-Chile Davis Cup tie near San Diego, Fish, in an act of selflessness, called captain Patrick McEnroe and asked if he could help work out the team.

When I saw Fish at the U.S. Open last September, he had already dropped nearly 10 pounds and he seemed astonished at how much more endurance he had both on and off the court.

It's the off-court work that has given him the endurance to win and with titles at Houston and in a Challenger the previous week in Tallahassee, he has jumped more than 130 ranking spots to No. 121.

The cutoff to get straight into the French Open was Monday and Fish is probably eight or nine spots too low. But he'll be seeded in the qualifying tournament.

The bigger goal is to get straight into Wimbledon and he'll probably have to reach No. 110 to do that. A good showing at the Bermuda Challenger this week could get him there.

The win over Melzer was his ninth in a row, if you count the victories at Tallahassee and, since a sputtering start to the season, Fish has now won 10 of his last 11 and his last two losses were both to top-5 players -- Rafael Nadal at Indian Wells and Nikolay Davydenko at the Nasdaq.

Fish will play 23-year-old Jesse Witten of Naples in the first round at Bermuda, and it won't be easy. Witten has won a Challenger and a couple of Futures tournaments this year.

tangerine_dream
04-18-2006, 04:55 PM
Geez, someone ate bitter cereal for breakfast :o
Yep. Here was my response to him:

Mr Tignor, I'm disappointed by your blow-off of Mardy Fish. Sure, Houston's not the biggest or best clay tournament. Sure, maybe he got a few breaks with two player retirements but that's how sport works, and he did beat Juan Monaco and Vince Spadea to reach the final. He deserved to win the title as much as anybody else and in light of his wrist surgeries and horrendous 2005 record, I think he deserves some proper kudos for it. He's worked very hard to get back in the saddle.

Deboogle!.
04-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Well my problems with his little blurb were the factual errors. Mardy was inside the top 20, he's older than Andy, and most blatantly, it's his BH that's his weapon and FH that's reliable. I mean he didn't even analyze his game properly or do the proper research, so I can't even give his analysis of the rest any respect whatsoever. plus, dissing his clothes and hair is just a cheap shot.

Deboogle!.
04-19-2006, 12:37 AM
Mardy d. Jesse Witten 5-7 6-3 6-1 in Bermuda today :D Onto the 2nd round and one step closer to the Wimby main draw :)

aceit
04-19-2006, 12:49 AM
VAMOS MR. FISH! :)

Jennay
04-19-2006, 01:21 AM
Mardy's on fiah :D

surfpinky
04-19-2006, 02:23 AM

Deboogle!.
04-19-2006, 06:31 PM
|: He plays flip next
==============
Fish in a happy plaice

By Dan Rutstein

Mardy Fish overcame a rocky start to continue his winning streak on the Coral Beach centre court yesterday.

Fish picked up a cool $52,000 claiming the US Men’s Claycourt Championships in Houston on Sunday and moved into the XL Open second round yesterday with a three-set triumph over fellow American wildcard Jesse Witten.

The former world number 17, fighting his way back from injury, made heavy work of the first set in the opening match of the day on centre court, losing the first set 7-5 – with the added ignominy of a point violation after hitting the ball onto South Road and then abusing the chair umpire.:o:rolleyes:

But his powerful, clinical game returned quickly and Witten could do little as Fish powered to a 6-3 second set win before wrapping it up 6-1 in the decider.

“It’s good to be winning again,” said Fish, on the comeback trail after two wrist surgeries and targeting a place in the Wimbledon main draw in June.

“Slow clay is not really my surface but I need the points here and my confidence is up again after winning in Houston.

“It was a strange tournament to win after two withdrawals but it was a big one for me.

“It’s a long road back to the top but the wildcards help – they were designed for exactly this situation, players trying to get back up to the top.”

Fish will now take on “good friend” Mark Philippoussis in the next round – a match that organisers would have preferred to see on the tournament’s final day.

“It would make a good final,” smiled Fish.

“He is obviously one of the best players here and I’d like to think I’m among them too, these things can happen in draws and it should make for a good game even if it is a little early in the tournament.” Fish has triumphed in their two previous encounters, both of which went to three sets.

Aleksa's Laydee
04-19-2006, 06:54 PM
He's good friends with Flip? Didn't know that!

Good win mardy :D

Deboogle!.
04-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Mardy all of a sudden says he's "good friends" with everyone, it seems :o

surfpinky
04-19-2006, 08:41 PM
oh mardy :o

Aleksa's Laydee
04-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Mardy all of a sudden says he's "good friends" with everyone, it seems :o

What do u mean? :lol:

Deboogle!.
04-20-2006, 03:13 PM
i mean just what I said :p

Fee
04-21-2006, 01:14 AM
Fish d Philippoussis, 67(4) 64 64

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 01:16 AM
2 matches in a row where he lost tight first sets and managed to come back and win in 3 - very impressive mentally. Hope he keeps it up long enough to sneak into Wimby :D:D

aceit
04-21-2006, 01:20 AM
:D :D :D

tangerine_dream
04-21-2006, 01:22 AM
He beat the Scud missle again :woohoo: On clay! :bowdown:

Keep it up, Mardy :banana:

aceit
04-21-2006, 01:22 AM
Oh yeah, and guyssssss I'm leaving for Saddlebrook tomorrow morning so let's all pray that he comes to Florida after his challenger, shall we?

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 01:27 AM
He probably will, he has next week off and then he's in Atlanta, so maybe!! :D Good luck ;)

Mardy has won TWELVE matches in a row :eek:

tangerine_dream
04-21-2006, 01:32 AM
Peter Bodo chimes in on Mardy's Houston success and like Tignor, seems ambivalent about him and can barely cough up any kudos. :o I don't get exactly what is so "bizarro" about Mardy's forehand? :confused: It's been so long since I've seen it I think I might have to go dig up some old Mardy videos to check it out again....

A Modest Proposal
Posted 4/19/2006

Alright, I know it’s ridiculously early in the clay court season, and Mardy Fish probably won’t keep the place he earned as King of the Clay with his surprising win in Houston last Sunday. If you’re a Fish Fan, regular TW comment poster Greg Feirman does you (and me) a real service in the comments section of my “Critical Mass” post below, linking to some compelling stories on Fish’s resurgence.

Once again, Charlie “I Cover the Waterfront” Bricker leads the way with a solid, very Inside Tennis piece on Fish. My take: Fish is a really interesting player. Note that this is not a comment on his potential, although I think he has plenty of it. What do I mean by “interesting”? Well, let’s try this: a player who finds unconventional and individualistic ways to succeed, often in spite of the obvious shortcomings of his game or competitive temperament. In Fish's case, that means that bizarro world forehand. . .

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 01:34 AM
Mardy's forehand IS Bizarro. I dunno what it is b/c I'm not an expert in the technical aspects of strokes, but it just looks weird. Every time he hits it, it looks like it's overhit and it's gonna go out. It's better now than it was before b/c he practiced it so much while his left wrist was hurt, but yeah, it's an odd-looking stroke for sure.

Jennay
04-21-2006, 01:37 AM
I don't reeeeeeally remember his forehand, but it looks all arm to me, from memory. No leg bend or wrist work, I don't know. :confused: Nevermind. ;)

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 01:38 AM
Soon you will get to see it and it will refresh your memory ;)

Anyway, Mardy has a tough QF tomorrow against Oscar Hernandez (aka spanish dirtballer)... good luck Mardy!

tangerine_dream
04-21-2006, 01:42 AM
Maybe I've been paying too much attention to his backhand to notice the "bizarro" forehand :scratch: Oh well. Whatever works for him and helps him win matches. :)

Somebody who bets on tennis posted this in Bodo's blog and the part that I bolded was most interesting to me. This was exactly James Blake's problem before he decided that he *was* good enough to "belong" and lo and behold, he is now top ten. :D I wonder if Mardy could benefit from the same brainwashing technique? ;)

There were alot of good reasons to . One is that Melzer actually had to win all four of his matches to get into the final. Fish only had to win two as Schuettler withdrew before their 2nd round match and Haas retired last night 5 games into the match. So I didn't feel like we knew if Fish was really playing Finals caliber tennis. [b]And, just as important, I thought, and this was confirmed by hearing him speak last night after Haas retired, that Fish himself might not feel like he really belonged.

On top of that, Melzer is a very streaky player who, when he plays well, is very tough to beat. And he looked real good in his semifinal against Goldstein, just taking it to Paul and really dominating him. I also, wrongly it now appears, thought that he won a match against Koubek last week at the River Oaks tournament in Houston. Looking at the website I think Koubek actually withdrew prior to the match and Melzer won by walkover.

I also didn't feel like Fish was ready to win a big match against a tough player in a Championship match. He is just recently back from two wrist surgeries last year. And he hasn't been playing that well.

Heh.

surfpinky
04-21-2006, 01:53 AM
mardy fish is my hero

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 01:53 AM
Maybe I've been paying too much attention to his backhand to notice the "bizarro" forehand :scratch: Oh well. Whatever works for him and helps him win matches. :)Well that'd be understandable, his BH *is* a thing of beauuuuuuuuty! But yeah, he sort of pushes his forehand, it just kinda looks weird. Like Andreev's FH - it's really really effective, but it just looks painful with the hitch in his arm... Mardy's just looks odd, but it's not ineffective. It's not his big weapon that's for sure but it's adequate and fairly reliable and he can hit winners with it sometimes :)

tangerine_dream
04-21-2006, 02:06 AM
Well, I went to YouTube and Yahoo videos to quickly check out his "bizarro" forehand and as I suspected, I personally do not find Mardy's forehand to be "bizarro". It looks fine to me. I like the long swoop thing he's got going. I've seen a lot uglier forms that this. :shrug:

Another Tennis-x idiot tried to be clever when he wrote about Mardy's win in this ridiculously embarassing blog entry, so I guess it's Operation Rip Tennis-X A New One again :o

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2006-04-16/55.php

A Fish on Clay?

by Sean Randall
ie, Just Another Tennis-X Knob

Nothing says clay season more to me than two words: Mardy Fish. That’s right, Mardy Fish.

As proof, Mardy backed me up and went out today and won his first title in a few years beating up on Jurgen Melzer on the red clay in Houston.

Think any other Americans are going to win a clay title this year? Doubtful. Andy Roddick, James Blake and Robby Ginepri haven’t fared well on the euro soil and as for the women, aren’t they all injured?

So Mardy, with that title - and i might add that he just won the Talahasse title also on clay entering Houston - you now have to be among the American favorites to go deep in the French Open.

Oh wait, are you in the French Open? With a ranking around No. 120, didn’t think so, but good luck in qualifying and nice effort in Houston. You now carry the flag for America on the red clay…

As for Andy, James and Robby, nice job skipping Monte. I’m sure playing an event like Monte Carlo would not help in anyway in improving your clay skills and ultimately your results at the French Open. Why would it? Afterall none of you guys have made it into the second week in Paris, EVER! Enjoy your week off sailing in your boat or getting your teeth pulled or whatever it is you guys do.

Go Fish.

My reply:

Sean Randall should see his doctor soon, I’m sure the doc would have some equipment that could remove that (fish)stick that’s been lodged hard up his ass with minimal internal bleeding.

Congrats to Mardy Fish on winning his first title in three years. For those of us who actually pay attention to tennis and watch it, we are aware of Fish’s surgeries, struggles with his fitness, and the fact that throughout 2005 he could not win two matches in a row, let alone win a title that he was nowhere near being the favorite to win. For him to pull off such an upset on the Houston clay is indeed a wonderful accomplishment for him and kudos to him on finally finding his game and confidence. May it continue.

Good luck to Fish at the Bermuda Challenger. Hope to see him make the main draw at Wimbledon.

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 02:24 AM
Well, I went to YouTube and Yahoo videos to quickly check out his "bizarro" forehand and as I suspected, I personally do not find Mardy's forehand to be "bizarro". It looks fine to me. I like the long swoop thing he's got going. I've seen a lot uglier forms that this. :shrug:It's just a matter of opinion, to me it looks really weird and like he's pushing the ball instead of hitting through it, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. It's definitely an unconventional stroke in terms of his technique, though; but like i said, lots of players have unconventional techniques and the shot is still effective (see e.g. Andy Roddick's serve ;)). He still gets a lot of pace, but it's the shot of his that will break down under pressure more than his BH.

acoffeygirl
04-21-2006, 05:33 AM
:woohoo: Yay for Mardy!!! :dance:

Aleksa's Laydee
04-21-2006, 12:09 PM
i mean just what I said :p
i dont understand :sad: :confused:

Aleksa's Laydee
04-21-2006, 12:10 PM
:woohoo: another win!!! :D:D:D

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Mardy's said a lot of things lately about so-and-so being a good friend.... that's all :lol: From the bermuda paper....
================
Mardy fine! Fish outguns Aussie star in clay classic

By Sam Stevens

Mardy Fish triumphed over Mark Philippoussis in the battle of the big guns at the XL Bermuda Open last night, dispatching the former world number eight in three high-quality sets, 6-7, 6-4, 6-4.

As a Challenger Series event, the Bermuda Open has rarely witnessed a match-up of such magnitude and, disappointingly, the spectator turn-out did not do justice to the occasion.

While the bleachers on both sides of the court at Coral Beach were about three-quarters full, the corporate area on the southern bank was sparsely populated as usual, with those meant to be sitting in the scores of empty white seats either choosing not to show or preferring to gorge themselves in the club dining room.

It was their loss, however, as they were absent for a hugely entertaining encounter featuring two big-serving players on a surface which is far from their favourite.

Resplendent in white after being allowed to play in a bright yellow T-shirt by tournament organisers during his first round victory, Philippoussis began tentatively, struggling to find his range from the baseline and making a worryingly high number of unforced errors. Armed with such a big serve though, he was very rarely in danger of being broken, even if he was struggling to make much of an impression on Fish’s powerful serve either.

Predictably, the set went down to a tiebreak, with the big Aussie suddenly upping the tempo to force three consecutive errors from Fish who was caught completely off guard by the ferocity of his opponent’s groundstrokes.

He certainly did his best to fight back from a 4-1 deficit, but ultimately succumbed 4-7 to give Philippoussis first blood.

With the time gone 8.30, the wind began to pick up and it was then that Philippoussis’ previously unbreakable serve began to go awry as he lost his next three out four service games to go down 4-6 in the second.

As a big man who serves and volleys with aplomb on both grass and hard courts, clay has never been Philippoussis’ cup of tea – a fact made all the more obvious by his struggles from the baseline where he looked uncomfortable and tentative, particularly when Fish began returning a lot more of his serves.

And the pressure clearly got to him at the beginning of the third, as his usually calm and unflappable demeanour was quickly replaced by an almost constant scowl and frequent shouts of anguish in Greek.

Fish, meanwhile, was playing beautifully, moving well around the court and forcing his opponent to play a lot of balls from well behind the baseline.

At 5-2 up, Fish appeared to be comfortably in control of proceedings before he had his serve broken for only the second time in the match to let Philippoussis back in – prompting screams of encouragement from many females in the crowd desperate to see their heartthrob mount a spectacular comeback.

Fish had other ideas, however, and when forced to serve out the match at 5-4, he came up with the goods to book his place in the quarter-finals.

“All the hard work I put in the off-season is now beginning to pay off,” said Fish afterwards. “I played well last week and that seems to be continuing here, even though I am not as happy on clay as I am on the grass and I am certainly looking forward to the grass court season in a few months time.

“But tonight was a big win for me and it always does the confidence a lot of good to beat somebody of Mark’s class.

“He played very well in the tiebreak to take the first set, but in the second I concentrated on making sure I got a few more returns back and forced him to play from the baseline which he does not enjoy doing.

“I know I’ve been doing well lately and even though I feel like I’m playing some good tennis, winning the tournament has not even entered my head at this stage.

“There are a lot of very good players in the draw and it is possible to come unstuck against anybody.”

Fish now moves on to play Spaniard Oscar Hernandez in today’s quarter-finals.

tangerine_dream
04-21-2006, 04:00 PM
ish now moves on to play Spaniard Oscar Hernandez in today’s quarter-finals.

Ey. End of the Cinderella dream for Mardy, I presume. :sad:

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Indeed it looks like it was ..... 4-6 6-7 to Hernandez in the QF :( He had played so much so i imagine playing against a dirtballer like that was esecially difficult and he might've been getting tired. Unfortunately this is not gonna be enough to get him into the Wimby Main Draw, but he'll have a couple more chances - Atlanta in a couple weeks, and Tunica after that. You can do it Mardy :)

acoffeygirl
04-22-2006, 12:04 AM
Bummer, but he has to be exhausted!! He has a week or so off right?

Deboogle!.
04-22-2006, 12:10 AM
yup then atlanta

Aleksa's Laydee
04-22-2006, 11:05 AM
awww poor mardy :sad: have a nice rest after some great weeks :D

Deboogle!.
04-22-2006, 05:55 PM
oh mardy why did you act like this :(
============
Fish floored in angry clash with Spaniard

By Sam Stevens

The semi-finals of the XL Bermuda Open will be graced by only one seed this year after Czech Ivo Minar became the seventh seed to be eliminated in a sensational week of upsets at a wind-buffeted Coral Beach Club yesterday.

And young American sensation Mardy Fish will also be flying home early after the 22-year-old Mark Philipoussis conqueror was beaten in three sets by feisty Spaniard Oscar Hernandez.

Second seed Gilles Muller of Luxembourg fought off a spirited challenge from popular German Frank Moser in the three sets, 7-5, 0-6, 6-1, while Spain’s Fernando Vicente booked his place in today’s penultimate round thanks to a straight sets win over American Alex Bogomolov jr 6-4, 7-6.

In terms of talking points, the match between Fish and Hernandez was undoubtedly the game of the day, particularly as both players were not afraid to make it perfectly obvious that they cannot stand each other.

While the first set passed off without major incident, by early in the second both Fish and Hernandez were trading insults from their chairs in between games while also giving the chair umpire as hard a time as possible.

Neither players’ mood was helped by what seemed like every third motorist on Middle Road inanely honking their horn to cause distraction as well as the blustery wind on Centre Court which continually pulled up large clouds of the Har Tru clay, showering both the players and the courtside spectators in green dust.

Nevertheless, Hernandez deservedly won the first set 6-4 after breaking Fish’s lightning-fast serve at 4-4, while generally looking the more assured on a surface ill-suited to his opponent’s attacking game.

The match remained on serve in the second set until the score reached 3-2 to Fish, and it was then that both players began losing their temper.

Love-40 down on his own serve after a pair of unforced errors when well-placed in the point, a frustrated Hernandez walloped the ball into the advertising hoarding at the rear of the court, narrowly missing a startled line judge.

When asked by the umpire to “be careful”, Hernandez put his finger to his lips and told the umpire to shut up – petulance which earned the clay-court specialist a deserved warning.
Then, after losing his serve, something Fish said to him as they crossed in between games clearly riled the Spaniard, who shouted “watch what you say to me” at Fish before lodging a vociferous complaint with the match official – all of which his opponent seemed to find highly amusing.

The atmosphere remained as poisonous as ever after that, with both players screaming across the net virtually every time the other made a mistake, with the umpire’s pleas for them to “be professional” going totally unheeded.

The dispute seemed to undermine Fish’s concentration more than it did Hernandez, however, who broke back immediately after losing his own serve.

The set ultimately went to a tiebreak with Hernandez holding his nerve to win it 7-4 - bringing the young American’s 12-match unbeaten run to an end.

Afterwards, an angry Hernandez did not pull any punches, accusing Fish of arrogance and bad sportsmanship. “He always acts like he is better than everybody else but I think today proved that is not true,” he said.

“He is not the best, no matter what he thinks. I was just trying to concentrate and get on with playing my game and it was him who kept making trouble. As I was walking to my chair at the start of the second set he walked passed and told me to ‘f*** myself’ which made me very angry.

tangerine_dream
04-22-2006, 07:18 PM
Way to go, Mardy. :bigclap: Yeah, Hernandez, go fuck yourself. :devil:

cobalt60
04-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Sigh. Makes one wonder if he had kept his cool maybe he might have won? Man if that article is completely true ( and I wonder about the media and the fact that the umpire let the players get away with this); I don't know. Just what I don't like.:(

Deboogle!.
04-22-2006, 08:35 PM
Sigh. Makes one wonder if he had kept his cool maybe he might have won? Man if that article is completely true ( and I wonder about the media and the fact that the umpire let the players get away with this); I don't know. Just what I don't like.:(Well the article's wrong about other stuff (Mardy isn't 22 and the match was only 2 sets), so it could have gotten stuff wrong about what happened during the match, but I doubt they would've completely misquoted Hernandez. Plus it's not the first time Mardy's done stupid things on court :( It's just what I don't like, too. And of course, maybe if he'd kept his cool he could've won. Boo mardy.

tangerine_dream
04-23-2006, 01:30 AM
The atmosphere remained as poisonous as ever after that, with both players screaming across the net virtually every time the other made a mistake, with the umpire’s pleas for them to “be professional” going totally unheeded.
:haha: I'm sorry but I wish I could've seen this.

Deboogle!.
04-23-2006, 06:42 PM
From the Bermuda tourney website

pieross
04-24-2006, 01:54 PM
mmmmmmmmm,Mardy looks no bad....
thx deb.

Jennay
04-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Dear Mardy,

http://ukclipart.allinfo-about.co.uk/graphics/business/scissors.gif http://www.chandoo.com/knn/pictures/razor.jpg :D

Love, Wifey

Deboogle!.
04-24-2006, 09:19 PM
FUCKING DEAD JEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

surfpinky
04-24-2006, 11:03 PM
:spit: :haha:
I love you jen, and I love your mardy.

Aleksa's Laydee
04-25-2006, 12:34 AM
ooooh i like the photos espec the fist pumping one :D

Breakaway
04-25-2006, 02:34 AM
It was amazing what he did to win this tournament! :D I was like I met him and it was on that same court, when I watched the final. :)

aceit
04-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Rawr, where are you Mardy? I've seen James twice already down here...now I need to see the second part of Flake!!!

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 03:18 PM
awwww he'll appear at some point. How's James :p Hope you're having fun, that's the most important thing :)

aceit
04-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Oooh I saw Bob Bryan today too, he was playing on the court next to James.
From what I saw, James was doing well. There was a stringer between two courts today, and James was testing out different tensions for his strings. Yeah, I'm having fun. It get pretty tough, but I'm happy to be here. :)

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 05:19 PM
Bob Bryan down there? interesting. Where was mike :eek: are they capable of being somewhere without the other? :p

cool sounds like fun, I have faith you're doing fantastic :D

surfpinky
04-25-2006, 05:41 PM
woot lauren!!!!!!
mardy will show up soon....jen can't keep him to herself forever (;

bob seems to be going solo around towns lately....

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 05:44 PM
:tape:

aceit
04-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Yep, only Bob. I was hoping to see them both. :(

Hehe I just saw James again. I went to the weight room to go on the bike, and right next to the bike I see half a dozen racquets that say "James Blake" on the side over his racquet bag, his cell phone (which I could have stolen and posted the numbers of everyone online like that person did with Paris Hilton's sidekick), and then I looked behind me and he was using the weights. Later James came to get his stuff and OMGZ I WUZ LYKE WUN INCH FRUM H1M1!!11! ;) :p

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 06:15 PM
:haha: you crack me up, Lauren.

You should have gone up to them and asked where his other half is! And you should have told him that we call them Flake. And you should have asked them why they don't play more on clay :p j/k :p

acoffeygirl
04-25-2006, 08:27 PM
How fun for you Lauren. I'm sure you've said this somewhere, and I must have missed it, but where are you and why? I'm guessing Florida...but why?

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 08:39 PM
She's at Evert's Academy/Saddlebrook for the week. I'm assuming she's there... to play tennis? :lol:

acoffeygirl
04-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Well now, that would make sense wouldn't it!! I sorta figured it was something like that!! :)

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Silly Amber:p

acoffeygirl
04-25-2006, 10:15 PM
You saying that makes me want to follow with... "Trix are for kids" :lol:

Jennay
04-26-2006, 01:42 AM
mardy will show up soon....jen can't keep him to herself forever (;
Says who? :p

surfpinky
04-26-2006, 03:38 AM
Says who? :p
ME
hee d:
he'll sneak out sometime during the night, and I will be waiting in the getaway car...muawhahahahah

aceit
04-26-2006, 12:10 PM
She's at Evert's Academy/Saddlebrook for the week. I'm assuming she's there... to play tennis? :lol:
Well, I'm just at Saddlebrook now for spring break, I'll be back at Evert in the summer. And no, I'm definitely just here to stalk pro tennis players. :p

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Well, I'm just at Saddlebrook now for spring break, I'll be back at Evert in the summer. And no, I'm definitely just here to stalk pro tennis players. :poh ok cool. HAAAAAA right :p

tangerine_dream
04-28-2006, 04:32 PM
May can't get here fast enough. I'm dying to see him play at Forest Hills. :D

Deboogle!.
04-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Mardy's not on the Forest Hills entry list in the challenger forum :awww:

Deboogle!.
04-30-2006, 01:50 AM
The Atlanta Draw is up, Mardy's the #2 seed and he plays Dudi Sela in the first round. Draw doesn't look too bad.

Good luck Mardy!!

Jennay
04-30-2006, 03:34 AM

Aleksa's Laydee
04-30-2006, 05:37 PM
:cool: good luck mardy

Deboogle!.
05-01-2006, 01:53 AM
Mardy left a note on his official messageboard :)
-----------------
Well, I'm back from Bermuda in Tampa for a week before heading over to
Atlanta. It is so good to be back on the court and so good to be
playing well again after my surgery. This past year has been a rough
ride and I just wanted to let you all know that I really couldn't have
gotten through it without you. All of your constant support and encouragement
helped to keep me fighting and working hard so that I could get back on
the tour and win for you all.

Thanks again and I hope to see you at a tournament soon..
Love you guys,
Mardy

tangerine_dream
05-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Aww, cmon Mardy. Play Forest Hills. :awww:

New Jersey native Justin Gimelstob, who won the 2004 Forest Hills Challenger on grass, two-time Grand Slam finalist Mark Philippoussis, Brazi's Ricardo Mello, Kristian Pless, Bobby Reynolds and Brian Vahaly are among those scheduled to compete in the 32-player field. Houston champion Mardy Fish may also play. The 114th-ranked Fish is entered in the Atlanta Challeger this week and Tunica Challenger next week in an effort to elevate his ranking high enough to gain direct entry into Wimbledon, which begins on June 26.

Too bad I missed seeing Blake last year. :sad:

Deboogle!.
05-01-2006, 03:45 PM
see last year Atlanta didn't exist, that's probably why James played Forest Hills. Then he showed up in Paris, qualified for RG, and was exhausted by his 2nd match and crapped out physically after having a 2-0 sets lead. Maybe Mardy figures he's better off playing Atlanta this wee and Tunica then having a bit of time before he tries to qualify for RG, and if he loses early in one of both of the challengers, then he could play Forest Hills if he wanted.... it's probably smart.

HEiKE
05-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Good luck, Mardy!! Kick butt again ;-)

Deboogle!.
05-02-2006, 04:52 AM
Mardy plays Dudi Sela tomorrow night not before 8 eastern :)

Aleksa's Laydee
05-02-2006, 11:06 AM
good luck fishy :D

Fee
05-03-2006, 12:46 AM
Mardy's not on the entry list for the RG qualies. Guess he decided to save his energy and focus on the grass season.

Deboogle!.
05-03-2006, 12:52 AM
Mardyyyyyyyyyy :ras: :ras: :ras: He better get into Wimby and make it worth it :o

Jennay
05-03-2006, 01:32 AM
:( :( :( :(

Deboogle!.
05-03-2006, 01:57 AM
And he didn't make the cutoff for Queens and is several spots down on the ALT list. wtf was he thinking.

Deboogle!.
05-03-2006, 02:26 AM
Mardy beat Sela tonight 6-4 6-2, he plays Mamiit tomorrow :)

Fee
05-03-2006, 04:32 AM
And he didn't make the cutoff for Queens and is several spots down on the ALT list. wtf was he thinking.

Wouldn't surprise me if he made it into Queen's actually. He'll probably sign up for the Surbiton Challenger in a few weeks.

Aleksa's Laydee
05-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if he made it into Queen's actually. He'll probably sign up for the Surbiton Challenger in a few weeks.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! surbition!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: I'l be there!!!!!!!!!! *ok done*

Jennay
05-03-2006, 10:25 PM
:bounce:

aceit
05-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Well, I'm back from Bermuda in Tampa for a week before heading over to Atlanta.
fhsdiafhasdifjsdaifjasdifasjdfisad a few days too late :(

Deboogle!.
05-03-2006, 10:53 PM
aw :hug: it was posted April 30 but he had to have been in FL before then, since April 30 was the day before Atlanta started. My guess is that was posted a bit after he actually wrote it....

aceit
05-04-2006, 12:35 AM
then where the hell was he when I was there? :p

Deboogle!.
05-04-2006, 12:51 AM
I dunno :awww:

but it appears he won today as he is on tomorrow's OP :D

edit: Score was 4-6 7-5 6-3 over Mamitt

Aleksa's Laydee
05-04-2006, 04:46 PM
well done mardy :bounce:

Jennay
05-04-2006, 10:12 PM
:D

aceit
05-05-2006, 12:31 AM
YAY! :D

Deboogle!.
05-05-2006, 02:14 AM
Mardy lost to Russell in the QF tonight 0 and 2 :awww: I hope he's ok, I wouldn't have expected him to lose that badly :( Now all he has left is Tunica before the Wimby cutoff, it's going to be real close.

surfpinky
05-05-2006, 03:07 AM
):
michael russell? grrrrrr I don't like him because he had icky hair the one time I saw him...

Aleksa's Laydee
05-05-2006, 08:22 PM
oh no no noooo :sad:

p.s his mum is awesome!!!!!!!!

aceit
05-06-2006, 03:19 PM
oh no! :( i hope he's alright.

Deboogle!.
05-06-2006, 03:27 PM
he didn't pull out of Tunica next week so I guess he is ok.. that draw will be out later :)

the draw's out now, it's okay til the QF
http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2006/2210/MDS.pdf

Aleksa's Laydee
05-06-2006, 09:21 PM
good luck mardy

Deboogle!.
05-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Fish enters Tunica event hot after winning twice this year

By Phil Stukenborg
Contact
May 8, 2006

They weren't extremely disappointed.

Neither Mardy Fish, the unranked wild card entrant into February's ATP Tour event at The Racquet Club, nor his coach, former ATP Tour player Todd Martin.

Fish, a former top 20-ranked player, had dropped a hard-fought, three-set decision to No. 1 seed Andy Roddick in the opening round, but there was reason for optimism. Fish, who had undergone two wrist surgeries in 2005, felt as if his wrist had withstood the brunt of Roddick's power -- from the 140-mph serves to the blistering forehands.

He had stood toe-to-toe with one of the world's best players, and a former high school teammate, and had learned something about where his comeback stood.

Never mind the 6-3, 6-7, 7-6 loss.

"That was his third tournament back after missing the better part of the previous eight or nine months," Martin said. "In my opinion, it was good for him to play Andy in Memphis to give him a familiar setting. Things fall back into place a little easier when you are competing against somebody you have competed against so often through the years. He didn't play a great match, but he played a very good match."

It gave Fish, 24, the confidence his comeback needed. When he begins play in this week's $50,000 Harrah's Entertainment Pro Challenger at Tunica National Golf & Tennis Club, Fish will resume his ascent back into the top 100. The 32-draw Tunica event, a minor professional tournament, runs through Saturday and features former top-30 player Harel Levy, ex-Vanderbilt standout Bobby Reynolds and American Michael Russell, who reached the fourth round at the French Open in 2001.

After watching his ranking dip to the low 200s earlier this year, Fish has climbed back into the low 100s. Last month, he won a $50,000 Challenger in Tallahassee, Fla., and followed with a victory on the ATP Tour. He won the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships in Houston, his second career ATP title and his first since winning Stockholm in 2003.

Fish called the week in Houston "incredible." He recorded wins over Vince Spadea in the quarterfinals, Memphis champion Tommy Haas in the semifinals and Jurgen Melzer in the final.

As impressive as the week in Houston was, Martin said what Fish accomplished the previous week in Tallahassee was equally, if not more, significant.

"It was certainly a greater reward to win in Houston, but I don't think he would have had as good a chance to win in Houston if he hadn't won in Tallahassee," Martin said. "He proved a lot to himself and others."

Martin said Fish, the silver medalist at the 2004 Olympic Games, approached the Challenger tournament with the proper mindset.

"A couple of years ago if Mardy had been (relegated) to playing Challengers, he would have resisted a little bit and probably would have treated them like second-class tournaments," Martin said. "But he went in there and prepared properly. He fought for it like it was the U.S. Open. And maybe that's what he learned most of all. That every time out there he has to fight like it's for the greatest reward in the world."

Fish's goal playing the Challenger circuit was to accrue enough ATP Tour points to earn direct entry into Wimbledon next month. His wins in Tallahassee and Houston boosted him to 121 in the world. He'll enter the Harrah's Entertainment Pro Challenger closer to 110 in the world and in position to secure a spot in Wimbledon's main draw.

Fish said he wanted to be top 100 six weeks before Wimbledon, which starts June 26. He'll likely make it.

"Results-wise, it's been much more than any of us could have expected," Martin said of Fish's strong spring. "What I'm most pleased about is that he's made the most of the process. He's getting more committed to ... the mental side of the game."

Martin said the week after his first-round loss to Roddick, Fish won a first-round match at the new ATP event in Las Vegas over India's Prakash Amritraj. It also was a key moment in his comeback.

"It gave him a bit of confidence that it wasn't going to be a year full of first-round losses," Martin said. "He's really made the most of it since."

acoffeygirl
05-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Do we know if he plays today?

Deboogle!.
05-08-2006, 06:47 PM
he does not. OP and stuff is on the challenger page on the ATP Site :)

acoffeygirl
05-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Oh of course the only place I didn't look! :)

Deboogle!.
05-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Well silly goose that should've been the first place you looked :p

acoffeygirl
05-08-2006, 07:53 PM
I know!!!! :banghead: I take no responsibility for doing or saying stupid things these week!!

sophia_c
05-08-2006, 08:17 PM
He is fighting hard to come back.....a lot of credit and respect there.....

aceit
05-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Nice article! And awww that picture is great.

Deboogle!.
05-10-2006, 03:47 AM
isn't it! I love it hehe

anywhoooo Mardy won his first round match in Tunica 7-6(5) 6-4, he plays Todd Widom tomorrow :)

Jennay
05-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Go Mardy!

Deboogle!.
05-11-2006, 03:30 AM
Mardy won today in straights, he plays Salzenstein in the QF tomorrow :bounce:

snaillyyy
05-11-2006, 04:18 AM
:dance: :dance: nice going Mardy!!

Aleksa's Laydee
05-11-2006, 01:41 PM
:woohoo: another win :D

Deboogle!.
05-12-2006, 01:25 AM
and another! He beat Salzenstein 6-4 6-2 so into the semis tomorrow where he will play Heuberger. go mardy :)

acoffeygirl
05-12-2006, 01:55 AM

tangerine_dream
05-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Wow, Mardy, this is great, keep going! :woohoo:

"That was his third tournament back after missing the better part of the previous eight or nine months," Martin said. "In my opinion, it was good for him to play Andy in Memphis to give him a familiar setting. Things fall back into place a little easier when you are competing against somebody you have competed against so often through the years. He didn't play a great match, but he played a very good match."
Playing Andy in that match was probably the best thing for Mardy. Even though he lost, he finally relaxed and got back into the groove of tennis and it helped him to start winning matches again. :bounce: Andy = keeper of Mardy's mojo ;)

Deboogle!.
05-13-2006, 01:41 AM
mardy's in the final tomorrow against Diego Hartfield, who won Atlanta last week and is obviously playing really well right now. so good luck Mardy!

surfpinky
05-13-2006, 04:48 AM
:yippee: :yippee:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

acoffeygirl
05-13-2006, 06:07 AM
Nice to come home to some good news. Come on Mardy!! Is this the last tourney to count for Wimby entry?

Deboogle!.
05-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Yep, the win yesterday appears to have put him in!!!
====================
Fish advances to Tunica final

By Phil Stukenborg
Contact
May 13, 2006

He's one victory shy of winning the Harrah's Entertainment $50,000 Men's Pro Challenger, but forgive Mardy Fish for a mini-celebration Friday night.

Fish, the tournament's No. 2 seed and a former top-20 player in the world, has been battling to get back into professional tennis's top 100 since wrist injuries last season forced him out.

Friday's 6-3, 6-4 semifinal victory over qualifier Ivo Heuberger on Tunica National's indoor clay courts should nudge him back in when the updated ATP Tour rankings are released Monday.

Fish, who entered the tournament ranked 113th, was hoping to win enough matches, and earn enough points, to secure a berth in the main draw of next month's Wimbledon championships.

''That was my main-draw Wimbledon match,'' Fish said of his win over Heuberger. ''If I won, I was in.''

Fish, 24, has played as if his goal was clearly in sight. Fish has not dropped a set in four matches and will play unseeded Diego Hartfield of Argentina in today's final. The championship singles match will begin after the 5 p.m. doubles final.

Hartfield advanced with a 6-4, 6-3 win over American teenager Scott Oudsema and earned his second straight trip to a Challenger final. Harfield, 25, won last week's USTA Pro Circuit event in Atlanta and is making his own rapid climb up the world rankings. He's ranked 178th and should move into the 150s.

An ATP Tour official said Friday that Fish had moved to about 106 in the world by reaching the Harrah's Entertainment semifinals and to about 100 by advancing to the final.

''Depending on what some of the other guys (ranked around 100) do, I think I should be inside the top 100 now,'' Fish said. ''That was my goal coming into Atlanta last week.''

Fish reached the quarterfinals of the Atlanta Challenger, losing to Michael Russell.

''I was lucky enough to make the quarterfinals there, which was worth 12 (rankings) points,'' Fish said. ''Making the finals here is worth 35 points. That's 47 points and I was looking for 50 out of those two tournaments.

''But I got enough to get into Wimbledon. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm pretty excited to be back in the main draw of a Grand Slam. I don't think anybody thought I was going to be back this quickly. And I didn't anticipate playing as well as I have on clay, making (at least) the quarters of every tournament and the finals of this one.''

Fish overcame a sluggish start -- saving three break points in the opening game -- and found a rhythm. He lost only five points on his serve the remainder of the set, getting the break he needed to go up, 4-2, when Heuberger hit a backhand long. In the second set, he opened by breaking Heuberger, 30, an ATP Tour veteran, and survived his only scare: facing, but saving, two break points while serving at 2-1.

In today's final, Fish will be attempting to win his third tournament since early April. Fish won a Challenger in Tallahassee and followed it with his second career ATP Tour title in Houston.

''Man, I worked so hard in the offseason when I was injured,'' Fish said. ''I was trying to get stronger, trying to get my legs a little stronger. And build up my stamina out there. And I've been working a lot with (coaches) Todd (Martin) and Scott (Humphries). I'm going to continue to do that.''

Hartfield, a veteran of playing on the clay courts of Argentina, outlasted the hard-hitting, but slightly impatient, Oudsema. Hartfield took advantage of three unforced Oudsema errors and a double-fault to get a break for a 5-4 first-set lead. He won the set with his only ace of the match.

''I'm playing better, so much better, than last week,'' Hartfield said. ''Nothing is bothering me. I'm feeling great. And I'm playing so solid from the baseline.''

aceit
05-13-2006, 06:49 PM
ahhhhhhh i'm so happy for mardy :)
good luck in the final!!!!

Deboogle!.
05-14-2006, 01:57 AM
Well Mardy lost in the final to Diego Hartfield 4-6 4-6 but if that article is correct, Mardy should either make, or almost make, the Wimby cutoff and be able to get in off the ALT list with not too many withdrawals - we'll find out next week. Still, good week and he's definitely getting back on track:) He's not playing Tunica and he's not on the RG Qualy list so I guess this concludes Mardy's clay season! :hug:

Aleksa's Laydee
05-16-2006, 09:32 AM
yay almost making Wimbie, i think he has made it :yeah:

Grenouille
05-27-2006, 10:10 AM
why didn't he try to play RG?

Caren
05-27-2006, 12:14 PM
why didn't he try to play RG?

Yeh i was just wondering the same thing, i checked the qualifying lists this morning hoping maybe i'd get to see him live and he wasn't even on the list :confused:

Deboogle!.
05-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Honestly, not sure :shrug: He's gonna make a real push during grass season, and played a lot of tennis this spring, guess he wanted to take a few weeks off. I was disappointed though :(

Junkband
05-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Mardy is looking at a very short career if he thinks he can skip majors

aceit
05-29-2006, 01:46 AM
Ummm he played a hell of a lot to get his ranking where it is now. I think if anything makes his career short it would be injuries. And it's not like he's skipping Wimbledon... it's pretty obvious that clay is his weakest surface and maybe flying out to qualify for RG would just be too much for him. I wouldn't judge so fast.

I just hope he trains hard and enjoys his time off while he get ready to kick ass on the grass. ;)

Aleksa's Laydee
05-29-2006, 08:32 PM
:worship: :bowdown: ^^^^^ :yeah: