Davis Cup... Ned - Can! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davis Cup... Ned - Can!

kim&lleyton
12-31-2003, 02:27 PM
Are there any of you going to Maastricht for the Davis Cup match between the Netherlands and Canada???

Who do you think will win???
And who will be playing???

:kiss: Irene

Claire007
01-06-2004, 04:39 PM
hey, I hope The dutch will win but I'm not totally sure.
I think Martin Verkerk, Reamon Sluiter and Sjeng Schalken will play in the match against Canada..
What do you think?

Bye bye xxx Claire :wavey:

Heleen
01-06-2004, 08:18 PM
I'm going to the Daviscup on saturday and sunday!!!!
And ofcourse the dutch will win, I trust our Dutch boys!!!
I don't know who will play. I guess the same as against India. I wouldn't know any other player who would have a shot at making the team. Maybe Haarhuis, but I don't think he's recovered from his shoulderoperation

Claire007
01-07-2004, 08:38 AM
Cool you're going to the Daviscup!!
Ok, I'll have faith in them too...
I also think the same players are oing to play when they played against India..
I also think Haarhuis isn't recovered yet from his shoulderoperation, I hope so but I don't think he is...

Claire007
01-07-2004, 08:39 AM
Cool you're going to the Daviscup!!
Ok, I'll have faith in them too...
I also think the same players are oing to play when they played against India..
I also think Haarhuis isn't recovered yet from his shoulderoperation, I hope so but I don't think he is...

stephB
01-07-2004, 02:09 PM
oh. i heard that haarhuis is planning to play at DC together with john :) they wanna practise before at a challenger.
im not sure if ill come to maastricht. and of course i trust the dutch players.

Claire007
01-10-2004, 10:32 AM
O hope he'll play at DC...we'll see
I just wish them good luck!

saskia_kane
01-15-2004, 09:40 AM
i'm not going... But I gonna follow it on tv!!
I think they win!!!

Hup Holland Hup!!!!!

CooCooCachoo
01-16-2004, 10:51 AM
I am not going to go either. The draw is not very interesting. It will probably turn out to be a 5-0 or 4-1 victory, if Dancevic isn't in too good a shape that is.. The biggest threat will be Daniel Nestor and I hope that he will also play singles, so it will actually be fun to watch on tv!

Nymeria
01-16-2004, 11:01 AM
I did want to go, since Maastricht isn't too far from Roermond. But I don't think it will be very interesting, Holland will win easily. But if friends of me ask if I want to go, I'll go with them...

stephB
01-16-2004, 04:35 PM
everything else than a victory would be a huge suprise i think :)

CooCooCachoo
01-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Steph, I actually think that everything less than a 4-1 victory would be a surprise, thus including a 3-2 victory. Canada doesn't have a lot of GOOD players, but they have a broad line of reasonable Challenger players (Larose, Dancevic, Niemeyer and Nestor as the doubles player who can do well in singles too).

stephB
01-16-2004, 07:17 PM
well i expected the last time not a victory in doubles against india but john and martin did a very well job...so maybe holland can win in doubles too. but i dont wanna bet i have no idea for the results. everything is possible in tennis. :)

Claire007
01-16-2004, 07:40 PM
Yeah, that's true anything can happen in Tennis...
But I have faith in the Dutch players...
:)

xxx Claire :wavey:

CooCooCachoo
01-17-2004, 06:22 PM
Steph, but Nestor is a much better doubles player than Bhupathi and of course India didn't have Leander. Does anyone know why Leander and Mahesh broke up as a couple, by the way?

HybridTheory
01-17-2004, 08:02 PM
wie speelden er vorige keer dubbel toen tegen India? van Lottum toch ofzo?

CooCooCachoo
01-18-2004, 08:53 AM
Ja, Verkerk en Van Lottum. Redelijk close win in vier sets, dus erg overtuigend was het niet en er zal meer nodig zijn tegen Canada.

stephB
01-18-2004, 01:33 PM
no coocoo. i dont know why the indian double broke up. i didnt hear anything about that. i heard paes was injured than???

Lizan
01-18-2004, 08:48 PM
yeah I guess I do know (your name is martijn??).. It's sooo sad, I love the indian team (especcialy Rohan my baby) and I was sooooo sad when I heard that Paes had a tumor :sad:, but he's okay now luckily.. Now I don't know why they aren't playing anymore, maybe he's still recovering.. But Paes and Bupathi were great together, great respect for them..

But yeah of course our dutch team is going to win.. It's going to be boring I think, that's why I'm not going..

Lizan
01-18-2004, 08:51 PM
So happy to see that it's so crowded overhere, that was different one time wasn't it Steph ehe!!

And I'm almost sure about Paes, but I can be a little bit wrong, but i thought that that was the case..

CooCooCachoo
01-19-2004, 09:03 AM
Paes and Bhupathi had already split up, when Paes was severely injured. In fact, in Rosmalen he played together with Donald Johnson. Johnson used to play with Jared Palmer, another split up couple. Johnson/Palmer had played Rotterdam earlier in the year, whilst Paes was playing there with Rikl, who has almost become his partner nowadays.

Lizan
01-19-2004, 10:40 AM
Oh okay, you're much more up to date then I am.. Then I don't know why they aren't playing together anymore, it's really to bad..

CooCooCachoo
01-19-2004, 12:42 PM
It is.. they made a great team and were a very tough contender in every Grand Slam.

kim&lleyton
01-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Offcourse I hope the Dutch team will win!!!
I think that Raemon Sluiter, Martin Verkerk and Sjeng Schalken will play and that Martin and Reamon will play the doubles.
I think it will be 5-0:D
I will be going on friday ( 6 feb ).
Yvo I hope I will see you there!
:kiss:

CooCooCachoo
01-20-2004, 02:43 PM
5-0.. could be :) I agree on the names you stated. Van Lottum might play too.

Lizan
01-20-2004, 04:15 PM
of course it's going to be 5-0, there's no doubt about it lol.. Exept if one of them get's sick or injured..

stephB
01-20-2004, 04:51 PM
im very excited to know who will play. i heard paul wants to play with john. but i think i already mentioned. they wanted to practise a little bit next week. ill will be there so i can tell you later :)
if john souldnt play at DC (that would be ok for me) so there is no need to travel all the long way *lol*

Lizan
01-20-2004, 06:12 PM
lool steph, cool if Paul and John play together, didn't they play together last time??

stephB
01-20-2004, 06:52 PM
where? at DC in zwolle? no :)

Lizan
01-20-2004, 07:57 PM
yeah?? Oh you're right.. Paul did play, but with who?? :confused:

stephB
01-21-2004, 01:26 AM
john and martin played that double against india :)
great match BTW

CooCooCachoo
01-21-2004, 07:44 AM
I didn't get to see anything of it :( Had to work! :(

Claire007
01-21-2004, 11:15 AM
O too bad really...
It was fun to watch but I didn't see beginning but for the rest I saw everything...
I look forward watching the Davis Cup against Canada...

CooCooCachoo
01-21-2004, 12:31 PM
I was in Eindhoven, where I witnessed Holland taking on Spain. I remember I actually cheered for the Spanish doubles team (Balcells/Corretja).. I don't really have any chaunivist feelings, lol :) I might even cheer Canada in doubles as well, since I really like Nestor. But it is always nice when the Dutchmen win, especially Sluiter.

Lizan
01-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Hehe with davis cup against India I found myself cheering for India.. While I didn't wanted too, but couldn't do anything about it.. Only have that with India and France.. WIth the rest I'm very patriotic..

CooCooCachoo
01-21-2004, 05:07 PM
Hehe :) Corretja was so pissed after that doubles match..

stephB
01-21-2004, 09:49 PM
lizan, did you hear anything new about rohan???

Lizan
01-22-2004, 09:12 AM
No not really no loool, I know he's injured.. With his big serve and all.. I'm sure that if he wasn't injured he would play very good in AO now..

stephB
01-22-2004, 01:54 PM
yeah. probably. he is injured? what is wrong?

HybridTheory
01-23-2004, 01:06 PM
als Nederland en Spanje allebei winnen, spelen ze weer tegen elkaar in de 2e ronde:)

CooCooCachoo
01-23-2004, 04:09 PM
Hmm that would be a home match for Spain then, right? That would be a pity.. What country is Spain playing?

saskia_kane
01-23-2004, 07:37 PM
als Nederland en Spanje allebei winnen, spelen ze weer tegen elkaar in de 2e ronde:)

Yessss I hope they play in The Netherlands! I have to see Carlos :) :P
But Netherland have to win!

CooCooCachoo
01-24-2004, 07:18 AM
Saskia, I think that, if they both win, the match will be played in Spain. If I'm right, the last time they played each other was in Eindhoven, so that means that Spain gets the choice of ground.

stephB
01-25-2004, 04:17 PM
for everybody. paul and john are already at the moment in heilbronn. think they will play doubles together to practise for DC. i will tell you when im back. fingers crossed that they reach a good result...

saskia_kane
01-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Saskia, I think that, if they both win, the match will be played in Spain. If I'm right, the last time they played each other was in Eindhoven, so that means that Spain gets the choice of ground.

Too bad...

Lizan
01-26-2004, 10:07 PM
Uhmm Steph for your question (sorry for answering late) he's having problems with his shoulder, but yeah I think it isn't that serious (always dangerous though when service is his strongest piont)..

They have to play Spain in second round?? OMG that's going to be tough.. Especcialy if Spain gets to choose.. Clay it will be, well we've still got Verkerk.. no worries lol!!

CooCooCachoo
01-27-2004, 08:14 AM
"No worries". Heck, Spain is going to be a 4-1 or 5-0 loss.

There is no way that Verkerk and Schalken can beat Ferrero and Moya, in fact even Nadal, Feliciano Lopez, Robredo, Costa and Corretja will prove tough to beat. The doubles match is potentially the most likely to be won by Holland, but then again.. Nadal/Robredo make a good team.

Aranince
01-27-2004, 02:59 PM
Anyone else going to the DC on friday??
I can't wait!!! :D

CooCooCachoo
01-27-2004, 03:27 PM
Nope.. sorry ;) Saving my money for some more interesting matches.

BTW: Welcome Aranince ;)

Aranince
01-27-2004, 06:17 PM
Thanks CooCooCachoo!! (hoe kom je erop?? :p )

Maybe it's going to be very interessting! Remember last year's match Verkerk - Bopanna?
And besides i don't have to pay for the tickets... ;)

CooCooCachoo
01-28-2004, 09:34 AM
CooCooCachoo is de nickname van Karol Kucera ;) Dus vandaar.. het betekent overigens 'kleine kat'

En hoe krijg je het voor elkaar dat je gratis mag? :p

Aranince
01-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Oww..weer wat geleerd! ;) Karol Kucera..die heb ik allang niet meer gezien...

Door een aandige moeder en oom kan ik gratis mee :D Moi gaat voor het eerst naar een tennistoernooi... Ga dus ook maar eens handtekeningen scoren..als ik tenminste naar hun toe durf te gaan... :unsure:

CooCooCachoo
01-28-2004, 01:06 PM
Verloor van Hewitt in Melbourne dit jaar, in 4 sets (won de eerste met 6-1).

Wil je niet teleurstellen hoor, maar tijdens de Davis Cup wordt het heel moeilijk om handtekeningen te krijgen. Ben zelf naar NL - Spanje en NL - Frankrijk gegaan en kon alleen van twee Nederlandse spelers handtekeningen krijgen, maar die had ik al. Toernooien als Rotterdam en Rosmalen zijn een stuk beter als je handtekeningen wil krijgen!

Maar het gaat om het tennissen, dus veel plezier! (Dat zal wel lukken, de sfeer is altijd heel bijzonder!)

---------
Martijn

BTW: Hoe oud ben je als ik vragen mag? Ben zelf 18..

Aranince
01-28-2004, 01:54 PM
mhh das wel jammer.... Maar ik zou toch niet durven! Blijf maar gewoon lekker op mn stoeltje zitten..hoop tenminste dat ik een beetje goed alles kan zien...rij 17 klinkt zo lekker ver weg.. :sad:

Ik ben 17.. in maart eindelijk 18 kan ik eindelijk mn rijbewijs eens halen en eens zelf naar wat tennistoernooien gaan want dat is nu juist het probleem...
Maar ja..mij op de weg in een auto.. :eek:

CooCooCachoo
01-28-2004, 02:42 PM
Die rijen zeggen vaak niets hoor. Denk je dat je goed zit, blijk je helemaal verkeerd te zitten en andersom!

Waarom zou je niet durven? Het hoort er voor hun nou eenmaal bij hoor en ze bijten niet (zeker de Nederlanders niet). Die Canadezen zijn wat moeilijker te herkennen ;) Van gezicht ken ik alleen Nestor, maar Larose, Dancevic en Niemeyer zijn wel redelijke Challenger-spelers...

Ik moet ook altijd met het openbaar vervoer naar toernooien (heb geen ov jammer genoeg.. volgend jaar pas).. Best vervelend, maar ja!

Aranince
01-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Ik hoop maar dat het leuk word! Ben tenminste wel van plan om nog vaak naar andere toernooien te gaan!!
En ooooit naar een Grand Slam :eek:
Alleen nog mensen vinden om mee te slepen naar de toernooien :)

CooCooCachoo
01-29-2004, 03:13 PM
En ooooit naar een Grand Slam

Yep.. zou graag een keer naar Wimbledon willen gaan, maar RG en de AO l ijken me ook leuk!

Alleen nog mensen vinden om mee te slepen naar de toernooien

Dat probleem ken ik.. blijkbaar is tennis in mijn omgeving niet zo populair ;)

Aranince
01-29-2004, 08:13 PM
Yep.. zou graag een keer naar Wimbledon willen gaan, maar RG en de AO l ijken me ook leuk!

En de US Open dan? ;)
Ik zou het liefst naar Wimbledon gaan... als eerste dan, daarna ook naar de andere haha

Dat probleem ken ik.. blijkbaar is tennis in mijn omgeving niet zo populair

Waar woon je dan als ik vragen mag...? :eek: :cool:

CooCooCachoo
01-30-2004, 06:46 AM
US Open boeit me echt niet.. vind het totaal geen leuk toernooi om te zien!

Ik woon vlakbij ROtterdam (in Maassluis), maar ik bedoelde met 'mijn omgeving' mijn vrienden enz. Hen boeit tennis dus echt niet ;)

Aranince
01-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Owzo.. lol
Ik heb ook maar 1 vriendin die tennis speelt maar er nooit naar op tv kijkt...ze kent alleen de spelers omdat ik het daar de hele tijd over heb :angel: vandaar ook dat ik met mn moeder en oom naar de DC moet...

Are we hijacking this thread?? ;)

CooCooCachoo
01-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Hahaha ja ik ging vroeger altijd met mijn moeder, maar dat was ook niets :) Ze vond het wel ok enzo, maar meer ook niet. Daarom ga ik al sinds jaren alleen :o

En niemand die het boeit als we in het NLs praten hoor ;)

stephB
01-30-2004, 06:14 PM
could we change the language again??? :)
BTW i think john wont play at DC. and haarhuis isnt sure if he should play anymore. :(

CooCooCachoo
01-31-2004, 07:24 AM
En niemand die het boeit als we in het NLs praten hoor

OK.. I was wrong ;) Welcome back Steph :)

Haarhuis is playing in Maastricht, that's for sure now.

Aranince
01-31-2004, 12:01 PM
could we change the language again???

Sorry! we'll talk English :)

Daarom ga ik al sinds jaren alleen

That can't be fun... Is there really no one you can go to a tournament with?? Ah well, maybe I have to go alone too after the DC if my mom doesn't like it...she's not really looking forward to it, at least not the way i am lol

BTW i think john wont play at DC. and haarhuis isnt sure if he should play anymore

Oh please tell me John v. Lottum will be playing!!!?? :awww:

stephB
01-31-2004, 05:27 PM
dont think so. sorry. he and paul didnt play very well in heilbronn and i thought tjerk decided that john is just in reserve... :( but who knows....

Aranince
01-31-2004, 06:43 PM
damn...John is one of my favorites...
But Reamon Sluiter will be playing right??

Haven't been paying too much attention to who will play the DC..Still too excited that i'm actually going :eek:
And then that stage (what's the english word for that..? :confused: )
what if i have to work friday?? :eek: Well i will not go! :cool:

CooCooCachoo
02-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Raemon will play, without a doubt.

You mean you're a trainee and therefore can't go every day?

That can't be fun... Is there really no one you can go to a tournament with?? Ah well, maybe I have to go alone too after the DC if my mom doesn't like it...she's not really looking forward to it, at least not the way i am lol

Well, it's OK. It's better than going with someone who doesn't really want to go. Usually I hook up with someone at the tournament a bit.. you know, you start talking to each other and such, but going with someone you already know and like would be better, of course.

Aranince
02-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Raemon will play, without a doubt.

yeee!!! ;)

You mean you're a trainee and therefore can't go every day?

Yeah... I have to work instead of going to school for a while...

Well, it's OK. It's better than going with someone who doesn't really want to go. Usually I hook up with someone at the tournament a bit.. you know, you start talking to each other and such, but going with someone you already know and like would be better, of course.

Well maybe i see you one day! :p haha Maybe i'm going to the tournament in Rotterdam! :D (with my uncle.... :rolleyes: lol)

stephB
02-01-2004, 07:29 PM
hey Aranince. john is one of your faves??? wow. i never heard that somebody else like john :)

CooCooCachoo
02-02-2004, 04:28 PM
lol Steph.. John is likeable I guess, but he is not that famous. Personally, I think he is OK. I prefer Raemon Sluiter though, he's my favourite Dutch player ;) But Tommy (Robredo) and Karol rule!

stephB
02-03-2004, 11:37 AM
yeah *g* i cannot understand why john is that "unfamous". i mean im not dutch and i know him :) but every dutchman like raemon, sjeng or martin much more :) but thats ok. so i have him for me alone *lol*

Lizan
02-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Yeah that's true, but Robredo isn't so famous either.. To bad though. I think he's a good player.

CooCooCachoo
02-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Robredo isn't that famous? That isn't true; Tommy is actually well-known and can, thus, not be compared with John. John is known by some fans, but a lot don't know him.

but every dutchman like raemon, sjeng or martin much more but thats ok. so i have him for me alone *lol*

What I noticed, is that Sjeng and Martin aren't popular abroad at all. I don't particularly like them either; John is my #2 Dutchman ;)

Lizan
02-03-2004, 05:30 PM
oh okay sorry.. But I meant that he's not the most popular player.

Aranince
02-03-2004, 05:35 PM
hey Aranince. john is one of your faves??? wow. i never heard that somebody else like john

Yep he's my favorite dutchman! :D After that Raemon Sluiter!
My mother is a huge Sjeng Schalken fan so I have to like him aswell haha ;)

stephB
02-03-2004, 07:10 PM
your mother likes tennis? my whole family thinks im crazy *lol*

really interesting that some people like john. but its so true. there are not alot people who knows him. but here a funny story from heilbronn...i laughed so much...

i watched the match volchkov/malajko vs hadad/van scheppingen. and next to me there sat some women who had no idea about tennis. and they changed the teams and said about dennis "hey thats the russian. you can see it 100metres against the wind that he is russian. he has a totally russian-face" HALLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO? do you also think that???
first i was very shocked about that but than i had to laugh. they seemed to be so sure but at the same time they were so wrong...*lol*

CooCooCachoo
02-04-2004, 07:58 AM
Yeah, basically everyone thinks I am crazy too, Steph ;)

Who is Malajko? I obviously know Voltchkov, Hadad and van Scheppingen, but I have never heard of Malajko? And Dennis doesn't look Russian at all !

But these things happen at all the tournaments. It is funny indeed, when you hear people talking about it as if they know a lot, when they actually don't..

stephB
02-04-2004, 12:05 PM
so funny. unbelievable how people can imagine they would know a lot...
malajko is not very famous. actually not famous. i didnt know him before either...

CooCooCachoo
02-04-2004, 01:49 PM
I like to tell myself I know a lot too.. but I know I don't know that much! I hate it when I am at a tourney and I cannot recognize players.. ugh!

Aranince
02-04-2004, 03:02 PM
your mother likes tennis? my whole family thinks im crazy *lol*

My brother and my father hate tennis! So i'm glad my mother likes it! I'm not on my own haha

@CooCooCachoo; Joep(a 5 year old kid my mom babysits on) really likes your signature... the smilies in it... now he's driving me crazy cuz he wants to see them all the time!! haha :rolleyes: Thanks for that martijn :p

Nymeria
02-04-2004, 05:00 PM
The sister of a friend of me saw Verkerk, Sluiter and Schalken yesterday in the theater of Roermond ( live in Roermond myself) :eek: Wondering what they were doing there!

CooCooCachoo
02-04-2004, 06:13 PM
@CooCooCachoo; Joep(a 5 year old kid my mom babysits on) really likes your signature... the smilies in it... now he's driving me crazy cuz he wants to see them all the time!! haha Thanks for that martijn

LOL! You're welcome Joep ;) :p :D :o Some more smilies there..

Cool Legolas! Probably watching a play, right? ;) They don't seem like the cultural types, though.. I'd expect to see Raemon at a Feyenoord match..

stephB
02-04-2004, 07:40 PM
I like to tell myself I know a lot too.. but I know I don't know that much! I hate it when I am at a tourney and I cannot recognize players.. ugh!

i dont think that you dont know a lot :) otherwise you are smart enough to cover it up :) and i think its not that bad if you dont know every player. who does???? last week in heilbronn i just know the half of them. someone went next to me and my question "who is that player???" *lol*

Aranince
02-05-2004, 01:13 PM
LOL! You're welcome Joep Some more smilies there..

:speakles: Gee thanks for those smilies.. :mad: ;) (he loved them... :help: lol)

The sister of a friend of me saw Verkerk, Sluiter and Schalken yesterday in the theater of Roermond ( live in Roermond myself) Wondering what they were doing there!

:eek: I live near Roermond! A year ago a friend saw Sjeng and Raemon in the Chinese restaurant in Heel... Maybe they were there again yesterday... Now why didn't i have Chinese food again yesterday??!!
*Looks mad to her mother* :p haha

CooCooCachoo
02-06-2004, 07:40 AM
lolol you should go to that Chinese restaurant every day of the year now Aranince ;) Just to make sure you don't miss them.

Aranince
02-07-2004, 12:37 PM
I saw them all yesterday!!! The davis cup was sooo kewl!!! :D
I wanna go again!! :bounce:

CooCooCachoo
02-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Tell us more... we want details ;)

Aranince
02-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Tell us more... we want details

Love too! ;)
It was awesome! We had a great view :D
Where we were sitting i could see the whole tennis court and John van Lottum (he was standing during the enitre match lol) and Paul, Raemon, Tjerk all of them!! lol
My mother had to go to the toilet, she went in the fouth set (Sjeng Schalken) when it was 4-1 for Sjeng... When you leave you have to wait 2 games before you can come back... and of course sjeng broke the guy and won the match and my mom missed it!!! How stupid can you be! haha
My mom has this gift for it! She missed like every great point the players made... On that moment she was always looking in the other direction or something.. I was like: "Mom did you see that?!" she:"Noo what did i miss?!" :rolleyes:
I'm glad my uncle was with us! He was in a real DC mood! lol
Well..I'll stop bothering you guys with it!
Ow one more thing; It was awesome! (Did I mention that before? :p)
I am definatly going again next time!! :D

Francine
02-07-2004, 05:10 PM
It says on teletext Paul haarhuis has officially retired, this was his last match. :(

DC: Canada wint dubbel na blessure Haarhuis 07-02-2003

Het Nederlandse Davis Cup-team is er nog niet in geslaagd om de ontmoeting met Canada winnend af te sluiten. Oranje moest het dubbelspel bij een stand van 6-7, 0-1 cadeau doen aan het koppel Daniel Nestor/Frederic Niemeyer, aangezien veteraan Paul Haarhuis met een schouderblessure kampte en niet verder kon spelen.

"Ik baal hier echt vreselijk van", treurde een gemotioneerde Haarhuis na afloop. "Niet zo zeer voor mezelf, want zo wil ik echt niet eindigen, maar meer omdat ik het team hier gewoon in de steek laat", aldus de Eindhovenaar. Haarhuis kreeg al in de eerste game last van de kwetsuur aan zijn rechterschouder, waaraan hij vorig jaar werd geopereerd. "Ik begon dezelfde pijn te voelen als voor mijn operatie. Ik ging steeds zwakker serveren en voelde toen al aankomen dat ik het nooit vijf sets zou kunnen volhouden."

Ook Tjerk Bogtstra had moeite om zijn tranen te bedwingen. "Paul is mijn beste vriend en dat een groot sportman dan op deze manier moet eindigen, is vreselijk triest", aldus de bondscoach. "Toch sta ik nog steeds achter mijn keuze om Paul te selecteren en te laten spelen. Ik ben geen medicus en heb alleen naar zijn spel gekeken. Dat zag er goed uit. Paul heeft zoveel meerwaarde voor het team en dan gebeurt dit. Het spijt me heel erg", aldus de aangeslagen Bogtstra.

Daniel Nestor, de dubbelspecialist aan Canadese kant, vierde de zege ingetogen. "Uiteraard was dit niet de manier waarop we wilden winnen", aldus Nestor. "Het is ontzettend sneu voor Paul. Hij heeft 15 jaar lang gedomineerd in het dubbelspel en was een groot tennisser."

De carrire van de bijna 38-jarige Haarhuis is door zijn teruggekeerde blessure ten einde. De Eindhovenaar speelde zaterdag zijn 26e DC-interland voor Oranje en kwam daarmee op gelijke hoogte met Henk Timmer.

stephB
02-07-2004, 05:39 PM
why tjerk didnt let john play???

Aranince
02-07-2004, 06:18 PM

:worship:

yea he should have let John play! Then we would have won! :)
Don't like it had to end this way... poor Paul!

Come On Martin!!! Bring us Victory tomorrow!! :worship:

stephB
02-07-2004, 06:55 PM
:worship:

yea he should have let John play! Then we would have won! :)
Don't like it had to end this way... poor Paul!

Come On Martin!!! Bring us Victory tomorrow!! :worship:

yeah. i cannot understand........grrrrrrrrrrr

so all eyes on martin for tomorrow :)

Lizan
02-07-2004, 07:11 PM
Awww poor Paul :sad:.. I really felt bad 4 him. He didn't deserve that. I always enjoy watching him play doubles, he's soooo good.. After the match the commentator (??) said that it might be the end for him. :sad:

Or at least sth like that!!

Did I read just there that he stopped??

Aranince
02-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Martin has to win tomorrow!
Then Raemon will play the last match :D
And Czech have to win too... the DC will be in Holland then again next time! :)

Lizan
02-07-2004, 07:17 PM
Yeah they seem to be doing well.. 2-1 for Spain.. :woohoo:

CooCooCachoo
02-08-2004, 07:58 AM
After the match the commentator (??) said that it might be the end for him

Actually, this is not entirely true. He himself said it would probably be the end of his career. Sad, but true. This is not the way he'd have wanted his career to end. You saw him in Heilbronn, right Steph? He said nothing went wrong there, so it was very frustrating that after two serves in the fourth game, he got injured again.

Yeah they seem to be doing well.. 2-1 for Spain..

Again, this is not true ;) You actually shocked me there, because I could not imagine the Czechs losing the doubles match, so I checked on the Davis Cup site. The Czech Republic lead with 2-1. Novak/Stepanek took out Nadal/Robredo in straight sets, after Robredo had defeated Stepanek in 4 and Novak had defeated Nadal in 3 sets.

This means an exciting last day of Davis Cup for Spain and The Czech Republic. I hope Robredo wins, and that Nadal loses, so that Holland will play the Czech Republic ;)

CooCooCachoo
02-08-2004, 08:03 AM

Actually, nothing was wrong with Paul beforehand. The medical experts had guaranteed him nothing could go wrong. It turns out they were wrong, but Tjerk rightfully assumed they told the truth. Add to that the fact that even a slightly out of form or injured Haarhuis is a better doubles player than a fit Van Lottum, especially at the side of Verkerk, who should never have played doubles. He's a disgrace for doubles tennis, with his lame unforced errors. Also, he cannot think as a good doubles player.

Since Haarhuis/Verkerk were doomed to lose the match (see the first few games, even before Paul's injury), Van Lottum/Verkerk would've lost as well. Nestor is just too solid a factor for the Canadian team and Niemeyer played above all my expectations. I actually thought he was better than Haarhuis at times. With Verkerk as the weak factor for the Dutch, and Nestor as the strongest factor for the Canucks, it was going to be 2-1 with or without Haarhuis' injury, although I would've preferred it without, obviously.

stephB
02-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Actually, this is not entirely true. He himself said it would probably be the end of his career. Sad, but true. This is not the way he'd have wanted his career to end. You saw him in Heilbronn, right Steph? He said nothing went wrong there, so it was very frustrating that after two serves in the fourth game, he got injured again.

yeah. i saw him in heilbronn. and nothing seems to be wrong. but he said he didnt played well and that this match with john maybe would be his last one in his career. he didnt know what to do. and now he had the chance to play in DC again and didnt expect a new injury...really really sad what happend.
i heard it in the morning that he probably ended his career :(

hey, would be great if the next DC would be in holland also. but not that far away like maastricht. so i can come again :p

Lizan
02-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Oww Martijn sorry you're right, I knew that about Spain, I wrote it wrong, I thought Czechs, but wrote Spain (so stupid).. And about the commentator he said it too loool.. I think I was a little shocked about Paul (that he stopped) :sad:.. That's the explanation

Aranince
02-08-2004, 01:11 PM
hey, would be great if the next DC would be in holland also. but not that far away like maastricht. so i can come again

Maastricht isn't far away! lol
I hope next time we play Czech in Eindhoven... Also not that far away! So i can go again :) :angel:

stephB
02-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Maastricht isn't far away! lol
I hope next time we play Czech in Eindhoven... Also not that far away! So i can go again :) :angel:

from my home eindhoven is much better than maastricht. but it seems that spain will win. 3:5 in the third set for nadal with own serve. he won the first and the second set. :( :mad:

CooCooCachoo
02-09-2004, 11:48 AM
Spain did win :( That means Holland is playing Spain in Spain and probably on clay.. Ugh! Another horrible performance is due, because Schalken and Verkerk both played horribly, in my opinion.

i heard it in the morning that he probably ended his career

Yes, it is now official :( Unfortunately!

By the way, what I told you about John van Lottum wasn't entirely true. There are four members in each Davis Cup squad, and for The Netherlands that was Sluiter, Schalken, Verkerk and Haarhuis. Van Lottum was present just to support his friends and he was seated in the player's box. My mistake, sorry!

stephB
02-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Spain did win :( That means Holland is playing Spain in Spain and probably on clay.. Ugh! Another horrible performance is due, because Schalken and Verkerk both played horribly, in my opinion.

By the way, what I told you about John van Lottum wasn't entirely true. There are four members in each Davis Cup squad, and for The Netherlands that was Sluiter, Schalken, Verkerk and Haarhuis. Van Lottum was present just to support his friends and he was seated in the player's box. My mistake, sorry!

not nice not nice. in spain....aaaaaaaaa. i wanted to go in febuary. but to spain? think its a little bit to far.

yeah. i was wondering about why john could be in the team when just can be 4 in it. but now i know :) nice of him to support them all!!

CooCooCachoo
02-12-2004, 06:31 AM
Haha that is a bit far indeed :) I think the Davis Cup teams should be extended to five players :)

stephB
02-12-2004, 12:10 PM
yeah. that would be a lot better :)

CooCooCachoo
02-12-2004, 04:08 PM
:p you only say that because John can get in then lol

stephB
02-12-2004, 06:19 PM
hehe. yes. maybe. but really. would be better for every country :)
btw. think john will be in the team, now when paul retired... or what do you think? is there another player how could be in the team?

Lizan
02-12-2004, 08:12 PM
It's really to bad to loose (well...) such a good doubleplayer.. But John showed that he playes doubles really well!! John has a good serve right.. forgot a little bit :S sorry! :o

BTW this one is sooo funny.. :spit:

CooCooCachoo
02-13-2004, 07:11 AM
btw. think john will be in the team, now when paul retired... or what do you think? is there another player how could be in the team?

I do think John will be in, or otherwise Dennis. The doubles team will be tough to make up; I fear it won't be good enough to beat any doubles team in the World Group of the DC...

And you are right Lizan, that smiley is really funny hehehe

stephB
02-13-2004, 12:31 PM
do you really think dennis could come into the team? i really think that john showed everybody that he plays in doubles very good. and in DC much better :)
hopefully he can get into the team again :) he would be so proud and selfconfident than!

Aranince
02-13-2004, 02:04 PM
Yeeaahh!!
We want John in the Davis Cup!!!! :rocker2: :banana:

haha
Sorry... :tape: :bolt: lol

CooCooCachoo
02-13-2004, 03:35 PM
LOL Aranince

do you really think dennis could come into the team? i really think that john showed everybody that he plays in doubles very good. and in DC much better

Well, Dennis is not a bad player and not necessarily worse than John, although I think John would get the spot, also because of his friendship with the other guys, with whom he has a closer bond than Dennis does.

stephB
02-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Yeeaahh!!
We want John in the Davis Cup!!!! :rocker2: :banana:

haha. so funny. but thats what we want :)

stephB
02-13-2004, 05:15 PM
Well, Dennis is not a bad player and not necessarily worse than John, although I think John would get the spot, also because of his friendship with the other guys, with whom he has a closer bond than Dennis does.

hey. thats a good argument :)
but you are right. dennis is not a bad player. he defeated johansson in heilbronn. i was very impressed :)
its nice that he also is in rotterdam

CooCooCachoo
02-14-2004, 06:18 AM
Yes, he's playing good old Andrei Stoliarov and possibly Fred Hemmes Jr. in the second round, although I hope Michel will beat him.