MLB Saturday - April 8 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

MLB Saturday - April 8

Freeze17171
04-08-2006, 08:01 AM
Bad day yesterday, stupid Padres failed me. I'm loading up on the early games, if these go bad I'll probably lay off the rest of the day.

Florida Marlins (+137) @ New York Mets
Dontrelle takes the mound and the Marlins are 11-1 in the last 12 games he pitched against the Mets. He was 2-0 (including a shutout) at Shea last year with a ridiculous 0.53 ERA, 0.65 WHIP, and .138 BAA. He looked sharp in his first start, allowing no runs and only 1 hit. Last year he started the season with back-to-back shutouts. The Mets throw out Tom Glavine, who is hittable and the Marlins have young talent capable to do so. Hanley Ramirez has started out great, Hermida looks solid, Cabrera is a stud, and Willingham is crushing the ball. The Mets have a very good offense, but they can be shut down as Washington did so the first two games. Willis is as good as any guy to do the job, and hopefully the Marlins can scrape a few runs off Glavine to make the difference.

Pittsburgh Pirates (+102) @ Cincinnati Reds
Pirates have started with 5 losses in a row, so they must be due for a win right? They are sending out their best hope in Oliver Perez, who has absolutely electric stuff. He had a horrible year last year, but pitched well at the end of the season and his first start this year was excellent, allowing just one run in 5 1/3 IP while striking out 9. On the flipside, Harang got lit up opening day against the Cubs and looked terrible. The Pirates have been knocking on the door for a win, losing the last 3 games by a total of 4 runs, and I see no better time to get that win with their ace on the hill against a marginal team and a struggling pitcher.

St. Louis Cardinals @ Chicago Cubs (+106)
The Cubs dominated the Cards the first game of the series, and now the big horse goes for the Cubbies, Carlos Zambrano. He had a poor first start, but this guy lives for the spotlight and absolutely shines at Wrigley. He is 17-4 the last two years in his home ballpark, and dominated the Cards last year, going 3-0 with a 1.10 ERA and 0.83 WHIP. The Cards are struggling to score runs right now, and Big Z is going to stick it to them. The Cards counter with Cy Young winner Chris Carpenter who also looked very shaky in his first start. The Cubs offense has looked sharp, with good speed to set the table in Pierre and Perez, great power/hitting through the middle with Lee and Ramirez, and very solid hitters in the back with Jones, Barrett, and Murton. There are no easy outs in this lineup and they will put the pressure on Carpenter.

coreyschucky
04-08-2006, 03:59 PM
MLB YTD: 18-10 (+5.25 units)
ML: 11-7 (+2.02 unit)
RL: 0-1 (-1 unit)
O/U: 7-2 (+4.23 units)

A few straight subpar days so I'm looking to buck the trend here. Best of luck to everyone today!!!!:thumbs:

1* Florida Marlins/New York Mets Over 6.5 (-155) - 1:05 PM

Yes Willis has owned the Mets in his career especially at Shea stadium but watching this Mets team this offense is significantly better then the past teams. The Mets have a dynamic 1-7 and have shown it. Just think by taking this lower number offered by 5Dimes there is a very good chance this one gets over this number. I see this game producing 8 or 9 runs.

1* Toronto Blue Jays ML (-166) Over Tampa Bay Devil Rays - 1:05 PM

The Blue Jays bullpen has killed them this season and although it will most likely get used early today with Lilly on the mound I think they'll right the ship here. Blue Jays blew a big lead to the Devil Rays and the BJ's are just too good of a team to do that back to back. Pitching matchup clearly favors Toronto despite Lilly having some back issues. Just think offensively the Blue Jays are far superior.

1* Chicago White Sox ML (-157) Over Kansas City Royals - 2:10 PM
1* Chicago White Sox/Kansas City Royals Over 8.5 (-160) - 2:05 PM

White Sox are another team who blew a big lead last night. I don't expect the Sox to drop there 4th in a row here today. Vazquez has alot riding on these next couple of starts and I expect him to produce. Bautista has fared well in his starts in the past against the Sox but I think he'll have a difficult time today. Sox take this one but it won't be easy. These teams should produce close to 12 runs today.

1* St. Louis Cardinals ML (-114) Over Chicago Cubs - 2:10 PM

Got to go with Carpenter at this low number today. Zambrano look like a shed of himself in his first start and today he'll face a very tough lineup in the Cards. There won't be too many times this season you'll get Carpenter at this price and I rank the Cards as a much better team then Chicago.

1* Atlanta Braves ML (-137) Over San Francisco Giants - 4:05 PM

I look for the Braves to get on the winning track here in SF today. Braves have had there ups and downs to start the season but I think Hudson will keep the ball down against the Giants here and pretty much keep the Giants offense to a minimum. Career wise Jamey Wright has gotten lit up by the Braves and I don't see why that doesn't continue.

1* Boston Red Sox ML (-144) Over Baltimore Orioles - 4:35 PM

Schilling was solid in his first start of the season and with the Red Sox bats heating up this seems like a good time to ride the Sox. Chen takes the mound for the Orioles and although I've always liked him he's way to inconsistent. Sox should eat him up today.

1* Detroit Tigers ML (+128) Over Texas Rangers - 8:05 PM

For those who don't know Justin Verlander get use to hearing that name as he throws a nasty 100 MPH fastball. The Tigers offense is on FIRE right now and I don't think Millwood has the stuff to slow them down especially in Arlington Park. Shelton and crew will get to the Rangers whether it's on Millwood or the bullpen. Just seems like decent value.

Good Luck to All!!!!

SadrieL
04-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Marlins to start off the day.

SadrieL
04-08-2006, 05:15 PM
For fucks sake, this is the second day in a row I pick a game that's been rain delayed.

coreyschucky
04-08-2006, 07:32 PM
For fucks sake, this is the second day in a row I pick a game that's been rain delayed.

It's been pouring here in NY all morning. I thought they might give it a go later today but they canceled it. No rush since the Mets and Marlins will be seeing pletny of each other this season.

Freeze17171
04-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Gotta love the +0.06 profit...

Detroit Tigers (+128) @ Texas Rangers
Wait, so the undefeated team that have been killing the baseball playing in a HR friendly park get an underdog line this high? I can't resist the value on this line. The betters/oddsmakers are seriously overrating Kevin Millwood and underrating Justin Verlander. Verlander is highly touted prospect and can get it up there on the radar gun. Millwood had a good year last year, but I believe he is average at best and won't fare very well in Ameriquest. He got hit pretty hard against Boston in his first start, and now faces the hottest team in the league at the plate.