he's playing singles and doubles against the russians!!!! :eek: [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

he's playing singles and doubles against the russians!!!! :eek:

Via
04-06-2006, 12:40 PM
will marseille arnaud please stand up!!!!!

:unsure: :scared: :bolt:

Hangdog
04-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Allez Arnaud, France's behind you!!!!

Sorry, I can't write a lot, I'm absolutely exhausted and busy these days but I just hope I'll find some energy and time to watch all the matches... The best luck for France! But Richard's against Marat... Sorry, I don't believe in Richard... but I'd be happy if he proves me I'm wrong.

Allons enfants de la Patrie, le jour de gloire est arrivé! Marseille Arnaud, allez la France!

Arnaud+Guy against Russia... Incredibly.

Via
04-07-2006, 12:18 AM
lol irina... you've encouraged the frenchies more than any russian citizen is expected to :lol:

it is incredible isn't it... with all the talent in france, le petit nono is asked to carry the team... if the impossible occurs and arnaud wins his matches :eek: :eek: :eek: ok ok if only two matches :p.... he'd be happier than winning marseille, and could really consider retirement in glory and contentment :devil:

Via
04-07-2006, 07:51 AM
daviscup.com has written up a news article on this:

http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?id=13711

there are also plenty of audio links on that page in which everyone (arnaud, seb, richard, guy, marat, and davydenko) speaks *english* LOL

(guess who has the most 'er' and 'um's and almost can't remember the word for sunday :lol: )

also guy makes it clear that arnaud is his 3rd choice for singles, so once again he's the substitute player really.

chicky841
04-07-2006, 10:05 PM
:lol: Thnx (runs to go listen) Ya, Arnaud lost but he played well and thats all that I can really ask of him. I used to be in love with Guy, but l8tly Im starting to not like him as much. :smooch: Arnaud is no substitute to me.

oLn
04-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Nikolay Davydenko def. Arnaud Clement 3-6, 6-2, 6-4, 7-6

nono lost.. but seems that was hard game ! btw and Gasquet also lost earlier... and russia is ahead 2-0 !

Via
04-07-2006, 11:47 PM
arnaud must have tried as hard as he could. he must be disappointed to have lost the 4th set to lose the match (after which davydenko rubbed it in and said he would've lost the match if he didn't get the tie-breaker, as he's injured/cramping)

now arnaud has to bounce back for the doubles, as it's crucial for france now!!!! i hope at least he will sleep well !!

Via
04-08-2006, 11:25 PM
doubles mission completed! :dance: more dancing ;)

arnaud has never lost a tie for france and his luck has continued on saturday... but if seb can't play on sunday :awww: it won't be good for nono

Hangdog
04-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Yesterday I finally finished watching these endless Davis Cup matches. Moreover I rewatched some the most interesting moments of Arnaud’s ones like when he played tie-break against Davydenko and it was 4-4 and Nicolay’s serve. Arnaud won that point and was going to serve leading 5-4 but the umpire made them to replay the point because Davydenko lost a ball from his pocket (and then Arnaud lost that point, 2 the second ones and the match). Seems it was just a case though maybe the Russian specially touched his pocket... But I just want to say the only index of the game Davydenko was better than Arnaud in was playing on the important points.

Doubles match was much more interesting but that’s a shame for Llodra/Clement to play 5 sets against 2 not the best Russian guys who play together in double for the first time :rolleyes:. Though in the third set Arnaud began to look quite tired… I don’t know how he could play one more match against Safin even though he said he was ready.
Also, watching that doubles match, I had a great pleasure to look at Flo Serra who was one of the most active supporters over there. He just can’t sit on his place, always bounced there like his chair was covered by spikes, applauded and loudly cheered :angel:. So opposite way to his usual behavior. But at least one French player did his job 100% well… :tape:

Anyway sorry for France and well done Russia.

Via
04-12-2006, 12:40 AM
hi irina... thanks for the match report that i had asked for before ;)

needless to say, i did not see any of the matches, and could not even stay up to follow the very good live scoring panel. i got most of my ideas from news reports, other posters' comments lol

arnaud/davydenko match - davydenko said himself that he would've lost it if it went 5 sets because he would have to retire. like many tennis matches, it was very close but the higher ranked/more confident player scraped through - like your quote says, the better players tend to get lucky more often. nevertheless, you still get to hear comments from ppl who insist that arnaud stood no chance playing davis cup singles against russia :rolleyes:

doubles - yeah they got relaxed after winning two sets, and let the match slip. not smart considering that arnaud had to look forward to playing safin the next day.

no my thinking is that arnaud currently is not fit enough to play 5 set matches on 3 consecutive days. the mind is willing but the body is not. hence the title of this thread! :lol: though the wishful thinking scenario would be that seb would play the 5th match and not arnaud.

i'm glad you got to enjoy florent :D and if i haven't said it already, congrats russia, it's the logical result when the stronger team wins.

Hangdog
04-12-2006, 08:00 PM
it was very close but the higher ranked/more confident player scraped through - like your quote says, the better players tend to get lucky more often
Well, actually my quote says not only the thing you’ve mentioned but contains one more, deeper one, idea: if you lose you should never say it was a bad luck, you just must train even harder and improve yourself more actively. :cool:
And you have changed your nice dog to the Beatles? :)

no my thinking is that arnaud currently is not fit enough to play 5 set matches on 3 consecutive days. the mind is willing but the body is not. hence the title of this thread! :lol:
Really true :worship: And in my opinion, the mind that’s willing is the main thing – others will come.

congrats russia, it's the logical result when the stronger team wins.
Perhaps I’m really too categorical :o but I think that’s not the stronger team of Russia won the match but the team of France lost it… majority according the wrong mentality of players, at least two of them. And France will always lose to Russia while Grosjean thinks his health is more important than the honour of his country and while Gasquet, the hope of thousands, doesn’t want to concentrate all his possibilities outright on at least one match. Sorry for these words but it was sad for me to see such a degradation of French team spirit... :sad:

Via
04-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Well, actually my quote says not only the thing you’ve mentioned but contains one more, deeper one, idea: if you lose you should never say it was a bad luck, you just must train even harder and improve yourself more actively. :cool:
And you have changed your nice dog to the Beatles? :)

:lol: my dog wasn't going anywhere, so i'd rather remind myself of something more important - not to argue so much with people ;) how well you know the beatles song catalog! ;) ;)

Perhaps I’m really too categorical :o but I think that’s not the stronger team of Russia won the match but the team of France lost it… majority according the wrong mentality of players, at least two of them. And France will always lose to Russia while Grosjean thinks his health is more important than the honour of his country and while Gasquet, the hope of thousands, doesn’t want to concentrate all his possibilities outright on at least one match. Sorry for these words but it was sad for me to see such a degradation of French team spirit... :sad:

well i think seb and richard do have their own demons to conquer, but i think the team spirit was still there, and had lifted richard in his performances already. russians do have a way dealing with the frenchies, and since i am neither, i'll leave this for others to debate :p

InfiniteSadness
04-13-2006, 12:52 AM
Perhaps I’m really too categorical but I think that’s not the stronger team of Russia won the match but the team of France lost it… majority according the wrong mentality of players, at least two of them. And France will always lose to Russia while Grosjean thinks his health is more important than the honour of his country and while Gasquet, the hope of thousands, doesn’t want to concentrate all his possibilities outright on at least one match. Sorry for these words but it was sad for me to see such a degradation of French team spirit...

You're wrong about Richard... He injured himself during the match against Tursunov (his abs), but he continued to play despite the pain. The main problem with him is not that he doesn't want to concentrate all his possibilities, it's just that he's not selfconfident enough to do that... During both his matches he doubted of his physical capacities. He really loves the Davis Cup and gets along very well with Guy so it's a bit unfair to say that about him.