The "injuries still suck" RG thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "injuries still suck" RG thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

tangerine_dream
03-30-2006, 09:31 PM
Heh. Now would be a good time to start the duck-in-the-mud thread. :banana:

His first clay tournament will be Monte Carlo Houston. Yaaaaayyyy!!! Boooo! :banana:

strikeout ar.com schedule mistake :p

OK. Houston it is. Andy's first title of the year, coming right up (we hope!). :cool:

Fee
03-30-2006, 09:35 PM
He's not going to Monte Carlo. He's on the entry list for Houston, so ar.com is wrong again (imagine that).

williaer
03-30-2006, 09:36 PM
Clay season means the return of Tangy's FABULOUS CLAY AV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
I'm much more excited about that than the thought of Andy on clay :scared:

partygirl
03-30-2006, 09:39 PM
when he's standing there with his french open trophy...

tangerine_dream
03-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Dagnabbit. I would love for Andy to play Monte Carlo. :sad: Why does he have to play the crap mud tournaments like Rome and especially Hamburg? Blech.

LOL Ellen :hug:

blosson
03-30-2006, 09:41 PM
This is a season we don't have much hope anyway. If he gets pass the second round in any of these events, that's a plus and he even get to earn some extra poits :lol:

During clay season, Andy's goal is to make the 3rd round!

blosson
03-30-2006, 09:44 PM
Sky Sports is running a Monte Carlo promo (advert) where they announce Andy as taking part in the tournament. But we know he won't go.

J. Corwin
03-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Pffft! Andy will win all clay tournaments, including RG, if they just replace the trophy with a trophy girl, and the winner's check with a lifetime's supply of Cheetos. The ATP knows that will be unfair for the rest of the tour and blasphemous to GodJesusFed so they keep the Cheetos locked up with Borg's Wimby trophies! :cool:

snaillyyy
03-30-2006, 09:56 PM
Jace!!! :haha: LMFAO !!

guida
03-30-2006, 10:25 PM
:rolls: Jace :rolls:

Clay Season = Horror Movie :scared:

morningglory
03-30-2006, 10:25 PM
I don't love it :( I hate the clay!
none of my faves do well there...
Cowardly, stinking, retrieving terrier tennis... serve getting nerfed to almost nothing, moon balling, long matches, running and sliding until your legs feel like rubber...
let's face it: Grass is for cows, but clay is for earthworms :(

Carito_90
03-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Oh my GOD.

Andy's not playing Houston?!

Wow.

blosson
03-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Well I kinda like matches on clay, you see some awesome rallies and retrieving. The big problem is that matches can be too long and we all need to get a life off from being in front of the telly.

Noelle
03-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Y A Y F O R C L A Y ! ! !

Aiken. :)

Deboogle!.
03-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Oh my GOD.

Andy's not playing Houston?!

Wow.He is, he's on the entry list, like Fee said.

Sure they're advertising him as playing Monte Carlo b/c technically speaking he is right now. He'll probably pull out at the end of Houston like he usually does.

surfpinky
03-31-2006, 12:07 AM
give me a c
give me a l
give me an a
give me a y
I'm bored.

Deboogle!.
03-31-2006, 12:14 AM
This is what Andy said about Houston today - if there was still any doubt as to whether he's playing.
===============
Q. Looking forward, last year you won more clay matches than you had in previous years, which is not to say you've become a great clay court player.

ANDY RODDICK: Thanks (laughing).

Q. What's your plan in terms of the clay court season?

ANDY RODDICK: I'm not sure yet, to be honest. Obviously, Houston is a huge priority for reasons that extend beyond tennis....

surfpinky
03-31-2006, 12:15 AM
reasons that extend beyond tennis... heh

Deboogle!.
03-31-2006, 12:17 AM
Sure, he's got very deep personal loyalties to the Macks and that tournament. So while I'd much rather him play, say, Valencia then Monte Carlo, he's just not. So I just have to suck it up every year and accept that these guys love Houston and that it's very important to him and that it's how he starts his clay season every year. It's gonna be tough this year, coming right from Grass. apparently he gets there very early every year and practices and hangs out and stuff like that.

Fee
03-31-2006, 12:18 AM
yeah, as in 'a bunch of my buddies are going to meet me there...'

(Deb, be a love and make your sig purple or something. I read it twice before I realized it wasn't one of your posts :lol: )

Deboogle!.
03-31-2006, 12:19 AM
yeah, as in 'a bunch of my buddies are going to meet me there...'well yes that too :)(Deb, be a love and make your sig purple or something. I read it twice before I realized it wasn't one of your posts :lol: )I'll see what I can do, I tried to change some stuff and it was giving me too many characters :o

edit: better?

Fee
03-31-2006, 12:21 AM
Italics? It's very funny, by the way. Was that a press conference that I missed somewhere?

edit: yeah that looks good.

Deboogle!.
03-31-2006, 12:21 AM
ya I posted it in the miami thread :)

tangerine_dream
03-31-2006, 12:27 AM
Y A Y F O R C L A Y ! ! !

Aiken. :)
Jace, Noelle, and blosson. No fair. I already good repped you crazies. :haha:

Noelle
03-31-2006, 12:47 AM
You know we always overshoot for good measure, Tangy. :kiss:

Havok
03-31-2006, 02:12 AM
Hey his new topspin boring game could be weel suited for the dirt. :scared:

williaer
03-31-2006, 08:31 AM
Regarding Houston, yeah it sucks Andy doesn't play a 'real' clay tournament - but in my view, at least he cares about a tournament that involves clay! lol

partygirl
03-31-2006, 09:02 AM
for reasons that extend beyond tennis.
-then why play tennis.

morningglory
03-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Umm... why are you all so happy the clay season is coming? :confused:
Dontcha know Andy and the Americans suck on it? :( I mean RG may be the most dramatic (in terms of crowd) but also the most sleep-inducing GS of the year... clay.... ughhhhhh

Deboogle!.
03-31-2006, 03:52 PM
I don't think anyone's happy.... ? lol

MisterQ
03-31-2006, 03:53 PM
Hey his new topspin boring game could be weel suited for the dirt. :scared:

:lol: could be right!

MissFairy
03-31-2006, 07:57 PM
give me a c
give me a l
give me an a
give me a y
I'm bored.
LOL I love you, Nat.

I bet Andy's pumped for Monte Carlo Roland Garros Houston.

guida
03-31-2006, 11:16 PM
LOL I love you, Nat.

hahaha ;)

Noelle
03-31-2006, 11:17 PM
:haha: Sarah, your av and your sig :sobbing:

morningglory, we're really not that happy clay season is around, but what can ya do, right? :shrug: :)

morningglory
03-31-2006, 11:41 PM
:lol: get some grass seeds and spray them on the clay after RG this year... by 2007 RG will become a grass slam :lol:

surfpinky
04-01-2006, 03:23 AM
LOL I love you, Nat.

:kiss:

:lol:

Deboogle!.
04-02-2006, 09:07 PM
So Andy (and his brother) are doing an exhibition thing with the Bryans on May 3 in Charleston

http://www.familycirclecup.com/pages/articles/20060331170647.html

That's 5 days before Rome starts.

I mean, I don't even know what to say.

heya
04-02-2006, 09:31 PM
i didn't realize the Roddicks and Bryans could get more stupid. It doesn't matter where Andy and twins are ranked. :scratch:

tangerine_dream
04-02-2006, 10:26 PM
morningglory, we're really not that happy clay season is around, but what can ya do, right? :shrug: :)
Even though I bash the clay and it's elitist snobs in GM a lot, I actually like the clay season. After months of fast court playing and seeing the same players over and over again, the clay season is nice respite from the usual. Plus Roger won't be as dominating as he is throughout the rest of the year. :lol: And it will be interesting to see if Nadal can defend all his points.

Clay season is the only time I actually pay attention to players like Puerta and Mutis, and it's short enough so that I don't start to get bored with them (hardly any of them have any kind of personality, save Nadal). I also like the fact that they keep playing even when it rains, as opposed to Wimbledon where two raindrops shuts all the courts down for five hours. :(

Noelle, re: your comments about keeping your blog updated, it's hard work isn't it? No wonder Pro Tennis Fan said she was going to give her blog up this year, it's a lot more work than I thought, and probably more for you because you are covering tennis in general, both men's and women's, while I focus mostly on Andy. Still, it took me two days to finally update my blog about the Ferrer match and when I did I got messages from people asking why it took so long and if I was mad at Andy for losing. :lol: No, I wasn't mad. It's been very busy at work, and I like to get my thoughts organized before I spout off on my blog, anyway. Plus, finding all those links and photos makes my eyes go cross-eyed. :crazy:

Re: FamilyCircleCup, I don't see anything wrong with Andy & and the Bryans doing an exhibition five days before Rome? :confused:

Daring prediction: watch Andy get Verdasco again in the second round. :scared:

blosson
04-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Clay is for people who has loooooaads of time :lol: , they play forever and the day is gone.

Deboogle!.
04-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Re: FamilyCircleCup, I don't see anything wrong with Andy & and the Bryans doing an exhibition five days before Rome? :confused:Because they should be in Europe practicing there to be properly prepared?????? Playing an exhibition on green clay is not gonna help Andy get better results. Obviously he's not gonna go to Europe to play MC (well we figured he wouldn't anyway) and come back to Charleston to do this and go back. So after Houston he has like 3 weeks until Rome - will he even be hitting on red clay at all for three weeks? Sorry, I think that's disgusting :shrug:

morningglory
04-02-2006, 10:33 PM
i didn't realize the Roddicks and Bryans could get more stupid. It doesn't matter where Andy and twins are ranked. :scratch:
oh the twins are doing alright in the rankings, with all those finals...
It's Andy we should worry about; if he fails to defend Houston, Ivan will pass him... once out of the top 4, it means Andy gets hell in QF in slams, instead of SF... If Andy doesn't defend Wimby final (thx to his dismal performance this year dropping his seed) he'll fall further, if he gets caught below the top 8, he gets hell in the 4th round instead... :tape:

cobalt60
04-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Well I like the clay. What can I say? :shrug: Kind of spices stuff up every few months I guess. And you have to think differently as a player out there too but you all know that:)

cobalt60
04-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Because they should be in Europe practicing there to be properly prepared?????? Playing an exhibition on green clay is not gonna help Andy get better results. Obviously he's not gonna go to Europe to play MC (well we figured he wouldn't anyway) and come back to Charleston to do this and go back. So after Houston he has like 3 weeks until Rome - will he even be hitting on red clay at all for three weeks? Sorry, I think that's disgusting :shrug:
$$ talking I assume.

tangerine_dream
04-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Well, "disgusting" seems like a strong or inappropriate word to use. :shrug:

I think Andy should hire a hypnotist to convince him that all the clay matches he'll be playing is for Davis Cup. Then maybe we'll start seeing some decent results from him. :p

And Naldo may actually have a point: this new topspin crap he's been using may actually benefit him on the clay. :lol:

Deboogle!.
04-02-2006, 10:41 PM
$$ talking I assume.Of course, and that's fine, but it's coming at the detriment of his career. He spouts off that he wants to improve his clay results and does stuff like this. Maybe the Bryans can afford it b/c they're good on clay, but Andy has to dedicate himself to doing well on it and if he's gonna not be on red clay after houston and then only get to Rome 4 days before the tournament begins, I mean, what can he expect? Unless there are red claycourts in Austin I don't know about - but last year when his charity event was right before Houston, he was hitting on green cay in Austin :shrug:

Sorry tangy, I think it's embarrassing for him and makes us all look like fools for supporting him too. I do think it's disgusting :shrug:

nkhera1
04-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Good idea Andy. Lets skip the Masters that plays the closest to RG because judging from your past results its safe to say that you have a handle on it.

cobalt60
04-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Of course, and that's fine, but it's coming at the detriment of his career. He spouts off that he wants to improve his clay results and does stuff like this. Maybe the Bryans can afford it b/c they're good on clay, but Andy has to dedicate himself to doing well on it and if he's gonna not be on red clay after houston and then only get to Rome 4 days before the tournament begins, I mean, what can he expect? Unless there are red claycourts in Austin I don't know about - but last year when his charity event was right before Houston, he was hitting on green cay in Austin :shrug:

Sorry tangy, I think it's embarrassing for him and makes us all look like fools for supporting him too. I do think it's disgusting :shrug:
Yes definitely bad timing but maybe there is more to it? Obviously I don't know. I am just trying to look for a silver lining or some such nonsense here. :o

Havok
04-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Just stop sucking on clay.:D If he would refrain from that, his schedule would look awesome year after year.:lol:

Deboogle!.
04-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Just stop sucking on clay.:D If he would refrain from that, his schedule would look awesome year after year.:lol:But wouldn't playing a proper schedule and playing a lot on it and practicing on RED Clay and preparing properly for the big tourneys by getting there way in advance... wouldn't that all assist him in his quest to stop sucking on clay ;) I mean, playing Houston then practicing on green clay for 3 weeks and getting to Rome 4 days early is not gonna help him stop sucking on clay :shrug:

blosson
04-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Damn event. When are they going to start invinting the real American number one player James Blake instead of that loser!

cobalt60
04-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Damn event. When are they going to start invinting the real American number one player James Blake instead of that loser!
:) You made me smile.

Deboogle!.
04-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Damn event. When are they going to start invinting the real American number one player James Blake instead of that loser!Around July or so :)

tangerine_dream
04-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Kind of off-topic but I was wondering if anyone knew how many challenges Andy has made so far and how many he's won? I have it at 0-2 but I have the impression that he made 3 challenges? Anyone know?

Deboogle!.
04-02-2006, 11:29 PM
He went 1-2 for the whole tourney I believe - he definitely got one right against Ferrer

heya
04-02-2006, 11:38 PM
He's not going to win a title.
It wouldn't matter how "controversial" and "unproven"
my posts look. It's not like Andy's so politically correct, angelic and uncontroversial.

Noelle
04-03-2006, 05:26 AM
Just stop sucking on clay.:D I think that would be very easy in theory since clay tastes horrible. :p But then I think Andy likes the taste of clay which is why he sucks on it so much. ;)

partygirl
04-04-2006, 07:05 AM
what does'nt andy like the tatse of?:aplot:

partygirl
04-04-2006, 07:07 AM
success

Noelle
04-04-2006, 08:14 AM
:haha:

J. Corwin
04-04-2006, 08:39 AM
success

:lol:

partygirl
04-04-2006, 11:27 AM
:rolls:

Golfnduck
04-04-2006, 02:04 PM
LET'S GO ANDY!!! I would be pleased with a 4th round showing at RG, a win=heartattack :p

Fumus
04-04-2006, 05:16 PM
I think Andy should play Monte Carlo Masters and then some of the other small court events get his skill up. I think it will be funny when Andy wins his first title of the year on a clay court...lol

Richie_Roddick
04-05-2006, 04:54 AM
What does Andy have to do to get his ranking 3 again?

At least during clay season we will continue as number 4 because this is Nalbandian's favorite surface and he is playing very good this year :(

surfpinky
04-05-2006, 05:01 AM

At least during clay season we will continue as number 4 because this is Nalbandian's favorite surface and he is playing very good this year :(
for him to at least show up. |:

Caren
04-05-2006, 12:20 PM

Now there's a million dollar question!!!

morningglory
04-05-2006, 10:12 PM
3 and 4 don't really matter, just don't slide to 5 after Houston... otherwise... DISASTER DRAWS!

Noelle
04-05-2006, 11:44 PM
The title changed? I would have changed it to "Don't be a stick in the mud! (the Clay season thread)" :lol:

Deboogle!.
04-05-2006, 11:47 PM
3 and 4 don't really matter, just don't slide to 5 after Houston... otherwise... DISASTER DRAWS!Well I believe that Andy's behind Ivan in safe points after Houston sooo....

Merton
04-06-2006, 12:35 AM
3 and 4 don't really matter, just don't slide to 5 after Houston... otherwise... DISASTER DRAWS!

It doesn't matter much on clay, most of the draws are disaster draws for Andy :( Suppose he draws Roger or Rafa for the quarterfinals. Will it matter when he does not make it to the quarterfinals?

Merton
04-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Personally, i love clay court tennis. It is the terrain that favours most fitness, mental strength and strategic reasoning. Why boring? I remember a match between Costa and Canas at RG, after 3 hours they had just completed the 2nd set. It would require a hero not to take a nap watching that. :lol: I think clay court tennis provides an excellent training on point construction, something that would help on hard courts too.

Richie_Roddick
04-06-2006, 12:52 AM
Personally, i love clay court tennis. It is the terrain that favours most fitness, mental strength and strategic reasoning. Why boring? I remember a match between Costa and Canas at RG, after 3 hours they had just completed the 2nd set. It would require a hero not to take a nap watching that. :lol: I think clay court tennis provides an excellent training on point construction, something that would help on hard courts too.
Yeah, most of the latins and spaniards do very well in clay but this surface can be a bad option for great servers or players that hit pretty hard such as Roddick. Thats why fast surfaces like grass or hard help them a lot!

Merton
04-06-2006, 01:00 AM
Yeah, most of the latins and spaniards do very well in clay but this surface can be a bad option for great servers or players that hit pretty hard such as Roddick. Thats why fast surfaces like grass or hard help them a lot!

Sure, but it was not always like that. Agassi and Courier were true contenders on clay, for Sampras he would need to change his game substantially to have even greater success than the one he had. The problem for players growing up on hard courts is that flat shots bounce up higher and the opponent has more time to react. The current generation has underachieved on clay imho.

Deboogle!.
04-06-2006, 01:07 AM
It doesn't matter much on clay, most of the draws are disaster draws for Andy :( Suppose he draws Roger or Rafa for the quarterfinals. Will it matter when he does not make it to the quarterfinals?it doesn't matter for clay but it VERY MUCH will matter for grass so he really needs as many points as he can possibly get.

snaillyyy
04-08-2006, 12:06 AM
hhhmmm, well IMO he has the worst half of the draw
http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/posting/2006/717/MDS.pdf

morningglory
04-08-2006, 12:10 AM
:lol: Tommy Haas QF and Baggy SF... DEATH!
bye bye top 4 :sobbing:

blosson
04-08-2006, 12:26 AM
I still can't understand why Marcos is playing Houston and not staying in Europe to prepare for the clay masters.

Carito_90
04-08-2006, 12:36 AM
It's not like Houston gives many points anyway. :shrug: And did he win last year? I can't remember at all. :lol:

blosson
04-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Yeah Andy won this thing last year. It seems long ago. I still don't get Baggy in Houston but hey it makes the tourney more interesting.

Carito_90
04-08-2006, 01:00 AM
It does seem like a really long time ago...

Okay yeah, he might defend QFs... how many points could he lose? Not many.

morningglory
04-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Isn't Houston a tier 2? a tier 2 win is somewhat big in terms of points...

Fee
04-08-2006, 01:57 AM
I don't think the ATP really uses the whole tier 1, tier 2 system to classify their tournaments. There are slams, masters, and optionals. The optionals are worth a different amount of points based on their prize money and draw size and are classified as International Series or International Series Gold. Houston is an IS tournament, the winner gets 175 entry ranking points, the lowest allowed in the ATP.

tangerine_dream
04-08-2006, 02:16 AM
hhhmmm, well IMO he has the worst half of the draw
http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/posting/2006/717/MDS.pdf
What? Damn the ATP. Why couldn't they have rigged this draw in Andy's favor as they had done so many other times? :mad: :fiery: :shout:

Carito_90
04-08-2006, 02:17 AM
Yeah, Andy should get to quaters and if he loses there maybe lose... I don't know, say, 50, 60 points? I don't think that's enough to make him drop to number 4. Not sure though.

Fee
04-08-2006, 03:02 AM
So, no one else thinks Andy is in trouble in the first round? hmmm...

cath777
04-08-2006, 03:32 AM
He seems to be in trouble every round these days :p If only he could play every match like it was a Davis Cup match :)

nkhera1
04-08-2006, 03:38 AM
He seems to be in trouble every round these days :p If only he could play every match like it was a Davis Cup match :)

I didn't get to see the match and while Massu may be great on grass, going to 2 tiebreaks with him doesn't inspire that much of confidence.

cath777
04-08-2006, 04:21 AM
I didn't get to see the match and while Massu may be great on grass, going to 2 tiebreaks with him doesn't inspire that much of confidence.

Confidence in which player? The way Andy has been going lately I'm really pleased with two tiebreaker wins :yeah:

Deboogle!.
04-13-2006, 04:37 AM
Andy's officially out of Monte Carlo.

Carito_90
04-13-2006, 04:47 AM
Damn it, Andy.

Seriously just... stop playing Houston. :( I don't wanna be mean but there are some clay tourneys that are a TINY bit more important. Geez.

acoffeygirl
04-13-2006, 05:01 AM
Just out of curiosity Deb, how did you find this out? I was just wanting to see a players list etc....

Deboogle!.
04-13-2006, 05:05 AM
the tourney forum....which is info from steveg, same as always

acoffeygirl
04-13-2006, 05:28 AM
Thanks....I can't believe I didn't think to look in the tourney thread! :banghead: I must go pack. I leave at 6:00 am and I've been putting it off all night!

Fee
04-13-2006, 05:45 AM
yeah, this has become tiresome. Seriously, next year they should all go. The ATP needs to up the withdrawal penalty for these guys. Everyone in the top 30 knows that everyone else will pull from at least one Masters event during the year so the loss of points doesn't hurt them, and I guess the money doesn't hurt them either. If Andy wants to chuck away 5 grand, I wish he'd throw it in my direction instead.

heya
04-13-2006, 06:00 AM
be selfish about reaching your potential, which is high....
how can he be motivated to win tournaments
Who makes the impact in history books? Who's going to make smart decisions?
Mom and friends or him?

tangerine_dream
04-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Justin wrote about Americans and clay in his blog today:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/justin_gimelstob/04/13/clay.season/index.html
Sport within a sport
Clay-court season is upon us, and it's a rough surface
April 13, 2006

This past week, a sport within a sport began: clay-court tennis. What is arguably tennis' toughest season tipped off around the world with events in Houston and Valencia, Spain.

Clay surfaces offer totally different challenges than the hard-court tennis that dominates the early part of the ATP Tour calendar. Clay-court tennis hinges on movement, strategy and defense. Sliding effectively on clay is an art unto itself. It combines the artistic flare of ice skating with the athletic grace of a ballerina.

The synchronization of sliding and hitting on the slippery clay surface is the key to success, and one that can only be mastered over time. This is one of the many reasons Americans are at a tremendous disadvantage on this surface. Clay courts are the standard in South America and throughout Europe, whereas American players usually develop their games on faster hard-court surfaces.

Clay-court tennis is more defense-oriented -- you're trying to figure out ways to make your opponent lose points almost as frequently as trying to win them outright. The ball isn't struck nearly as early, rallies last much longer, net clearance is significantly higher and angles and tactics replace sheer power because of the absorbing nature of the surface.

The clay slows the ball down, making it harder to attack and finish points off at the net.

The forehand is the dominant shot in clay-court tennis, and its execution directly correlates to the extra time players have, because the surface creates slow bounces. Big wind-ups and extreme grips help create massive racket-head acceleration that gives the ball an added hop when it comes off the court. This is where the term "heavy ball" comes from.

Players such as Rafael Nadal, Carlos Moya and Fernando Gonzalez can dominate play by hitting forehands on a majority of their shots. Their court coverage and footwork enables them to hit forehands from deep in their backhand corners with the confidence that they can run down any ball that threatens them.

The mind-set of a clay-court player runs completely contrary to most U.S. players'. Americans are taught to play aggressive, attacking tennis. Hard courts reward the player who controls the pace of play and puts the most pressure on his opponent. This is not necessarily the case on clay, where top spin, kick serves, drop shots, consistency and stamina are synonymous with success.

Clay specialists aren't as numerous as they were when I came on Tour 10 years ago, when drawing most South Americans on a fast surface -- like indoor supreme or grass -- was a true blessing. In today's game, most players have surface preferences, which correspond with their attributes and comfort level, but there are very few players in the top 100 who don't have all-around games.

That being said, certain players are particularly dangerous and fearsome on clay. They'll be forces to reckon with over the next few months. You might not be familiar with some, but they are respected in the locker room.

Peruvian Luis Horna has already won a clay-court event this year in Acapulco, Mexico. He is a powerful player who crushes forehands and runs like a mosquito. Horna upset Roger Federer in the first round of the French Open in 2003 and could go deep into the draw this year.

Jose Acasuso is one of many Argentineans who excel during clay season. He has also already captured a title this year, in Viña del Mar, Chile. He made his Davis Cup debut in Argentina's first-round victory over Sweden, which is a tremendous distinction considering the depth of clay-court talent in his homeland.

Chilean gold medalist Nicolas Massu is also a tough customer on the dirt. He took a title earlier this year in Costa do Sauipe, Brazil, and has proven that he can win on a big stage. Massu has the mentality of a pit bull and loves the physical challenges that present themselves during a clay-court battle.

Spaniard David Ferrer has had a lot of success on hard courts in the past year, but his favorite surface is clay. At last year's French Open he upset defending champion Gaston Gaudio on his way to a quarterfinal loss to eventual champion Nadal, and will be one of the contenders every week during the clay-court season.

Here's the accompanying photo that will cause certain American-haters/clay-lovers a heart attack due to its inherent truth :lol: :p ;)

Fee
04-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Well Justin said he was kind of uninspired to write lately. Guess that column proves it.

morningglory
04-13-2006, 09:28 PM
:lol: win the elusive RG? For Andy, every slam is elusive. Heck he didn't even make it past the 1st round last year :lol:

American journalism.... :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
04-13-2006, 09:53 PM
sure he did, he made it to the 2nd :)

Jimnik
04-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Andy's officially out of Monte Carlo.
Already? Can someone explain to me why Andy didn't wait until AFTER the Tommy Haas match? If he loses, he still has plenty of time to get his ass over to Europe.

And could someone explain to me why he can't enter Barcelona or Casablanca or Munich? They would be ideal preparation for Rome/Hamburg. He needs points DESPERATELY. If he can gain another 400 or so points on Nadal, he can get the no.2 seeding at Wimbledon.

Deboogle!.
04-13-2006, 11:04 PM
Because he doesn't want to? Doesn't care? Wants to have some time off? Who knows.

surfpinky
04-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Already? Can someone explain to me why Andy didn't wait until AFTER the Tommy Haas match? If he loses, he still has plenty of time to get his ass over to Europe.

And could someone explain to me why he can't enter Barcelona or Casablanca or Munich? They would be ideal preparation for Rome/Hamburg. He needs points DESPERATELY. If he can gain another 400 or so points on Nadal, he can get the no.2 seeding at Wimbledon.
even if andy had gone out in the first round in houston, I am 99.9% sure that he still would have pulled out of monte carlo. |:

Deboogle!.
04-13-2006, 11:07 PM
even if andy had gone out in the first round in houston, I am 99.9% sure that he still would have pulled out of monte carlo. |:I'm 99.9999% sure.

surfpinky
04-13-2006, 11:09 PM
the .1% was hope |:
hee

Deboogle!.
04-13-2006, 11:17 PM
There's no hope when it comes to Andy making good decisions about the clay season

Jimnik
04-13-2006, 11:43 PM
:silly: I'm still hoping that he'll play Monte-Carlo this year. ;)

Deboogle!.
04-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Well even if he were to want to play now he couldn't, since he's officially withdrawn per the ATP lol

partygirl
04-14-2006, 12:14 AM
If you listen to The Heya...the Roddick becomes crystal clear ;)
he's dumb :p

Havok
04-14-2006, 01:26 AM
Boo. I saw this coming like 3 years ago though so whatever. :haha:

heya
04-14-2006, 07:03 AM
In Europe, the way he smiled with a "I don't care, a long match's good enough.
I finally reached a tiebreak. Hurry and beat me" look on his face and immaturely whined at the audience proved that clay is a joke to him.
This was his attitude in Davis Cup, Rome and Hamburg. Paris's just a place to relax with friends.

He claimed "I don't move well on clay", (Brad Gilbert loved hearing that, as he believes Blake's greater on clay).

Yet, Andy ballooned to 197 pounds, stuffed himself with pizza and hotdogs (before the Chang 2001 FO match).

2 years ago, he was violently ill after cramming pizza in his stomach + stayed up at night with Lauren Bedford (the rebound "smiley girlfriend") the night before a French Open match with Todd Martin....too bad a clay courter didn't win the 1st match easily to end Andy's misery instead.

morningglory
04-15-2006, 04:21 AM
what's next for Andy? RG? what?
btw, I wrote this in GM. great thread btw :lol: :p

"Kiss me" by 6pence non the richer
Alternative lyrics to be sung by Andy Roddick.

Beat me.... down by the Parisian clay
Yearly, beside the red, red mud
Spin, spin, spin that topspin shot
You get it in and I will hit the net O-ohhh

*Beat me....
Beneath the cheering French crowd
Swing me... another 1st round lo-o-oss
Lift your return game, get my serve back and make me start to crack, I start cursing...
... so beat meeee....*

Beat me...
Down by the Philippe Chartrier
Swing me, with shots from side to side
Bring, bring, bring your victory dance
We'll take an hour and fifteen for our match o-ohhh
[chorus]

so beat me...
so beat me...

Deboogle!.
04-15-2006, 04:33 AM
Rome in a couple weeks is where he'll play next

Havok
04-15-2006, 09:45 PM
what's next for Andy? RG? what?
btw, I wrote this in GM. great thread btw :lol: :p

"Kiss me" by 6pence non the richer
Alternative lyrics to be sung by Andy Roddick.

Beat me.... down by the Parisian clay
Yearly, beside the red, red mud
Spin, spin, spin that topspin shot
You get it in and I will hit the net O-ohhh

*Beat me....
Beneath the cheering French crowd
Swing me... another 1st round lo-o-oss
Lift your return game, get my serve back and make me start to crack, I start cursing...
... so beat meeee....*

Beat me...
Down by the Philippe Chartrier
Swing me, with shots from side to side
Bring, bring, bring your victory dance
We'll take an hour and fifteen for our match o-ohhh
[chorus]

so beat me...
so beat me...

DEATH!!!!! :bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

:worship:.

heya
04-15-2006, 11:42 PM
Retire...that way, there won't be a loss that will make the media cry and rush to interview daddy Pmc and the Roddick family. All parties on both sides of the Roddick bandwagon are geniuses.

guida
04-16-2006, 12:59 AM
morningglory :haha: :haha: :rolls: :rolls:

Genius! :rocker2:

Golfnduck
04-16-2006, 02:41 AM
I hope Andy plays well the during the clay season. It would be a great time to pick up some points on the competition.

Pammy
04-16-2006, 12:47 PM
What clay season? Rome and RG? These are the only tournements left for Andy because he doesn't bother for Monte Carlo, Hamburg etc. He prefers a walk on the lake with his boat instead of tennis on clay.

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Andy's playing both Hamburg and Dusseldorf.

Jade Fox
04-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Hey Deb where you find out he's playing Hamburg? Dusseldorf I knew about, but Hamburg?

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 04:26 PM
common sense I guess? He played it last year, and I doubt he'd bother going to Germany to play Dusseldorf if he isn't gonna play Hamburg....

Fee
04-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Yeah, if Andy misses Hamburg he would really deserve a collective bitch slapping from all of us. One planned dismissal of a Masters is barely acceptable, skipping two for no reason is completely unforgiveable.

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 07:02 PM
As far as we know he has no plans to miss it. I can get pissed at Andy with the best of them but get's give him the benefit of the doubt on this one unless and until he pulls out :lol:

Fee
04-16-2006, 07:44 PM
That was one of my most poorly written posts ever. I was actually agreeing with you, Andy will play Hamburg, of course. He's played it every year and I don't see him skipping it this year.

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 07:55 PM
oh I know :p I was just saying ;)

He didn't play in 2004 but.. we forgive him for that one.

Of course, I'd actually rather he play Monte Carlo than Hamburg. Those conditions there are so bad it's not even really great preparation for RG. Monte Carlo is probably the closest

But whatever.

Fee
04-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Was 2004 the year of the fire in Rome? Yeah, that one was excused, he had a note.

I figured you understood my post, but it was still poorly written. I wish I knew what the deal with Monte Carlo was, it can't just be scheduling there has to be more to it. I know one doubles player who went once and was so completely unimpressed by the whole tournament that he said he would never go back, but I don't remember why. This intrigues me.

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Yea it was.

Maybe that has something to do with it, maybe those guys just don't enjoy it there for whatever reason, figure they can get one week off at home all in a row and they've played houston and gotten some matches on red clay and they'll just show up in rome ready to go. I'm actually ok with Andy skipping MC, but I wish that he'd go over a week BEFORE rome and play one of the smaller tourneys then.

heya
04-16-2006, 09:39 PM
What clay season? Rome and RG? These are the only tournements left for Andy because he doesn't bother for Monte Carlo, Hamburg etc. He prefers a walk on the lake with his boat instead of tennis on clay. He doesn't only hate European events, he despises fitness and tennis rules/techniques. His mother/brother know. Why else would they cling on to him by working as coach and charity "manager" instead of seeing that he needs a coach? if he doesn't care, they should let him go to be an entertainer
or something non-tennis related.
Why would his brother not realize or not care that Andy's lack of passion, poor footwork and
overmuscular, slower body will lead him nowhere? Do you believe playing w/Ginepri in Germany will make Andy love tennis? He's afraid of hurting his loved ones; he's depressed as hell...even while he played Davis Cup.

Gulliver
04-16-2006, 10:28 PM
When you think of all the diversions over the years, parties, charity dos, exhibition matches, girl friends, hanging out with friends, TV appearances etc. it must make life look a whole lot more fun off the tennis court than on it. Once a tennis tournament has to fit in with those other activities Roddick has shown that he will offload the tournament (cf Shanghai v an exhibition match).

The clay season outside America is too much like hard work so he'll pay lip service to being there for a while, because he's supposed to be a professional tennis player. Then he'll turn up for Queens and Wimbledon trying to recapture lost glory, but may well find that a lost work ethic, previous defeats to other players ranked lower than him and intermittent motivation prove his downfall for good.

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 10:35 PM
When you think of all the diversions over the years, parties, charity dos, exhibition matches, girl friends, hanging out with friends, TV appearances etc. it must make life look a whole lot more fun off the tennis court than on it. Once a tennis tournament has to fit in with those other activities Roddick has shown that he will offload the tournament (cf Shanghai v an exhibition match).

The clay season outside America is too much like hard work so he'll pay lip service to being there for a while, because he's supposed to be a professional tennis player. Then he'll turn up for Queens and Wimbledon trying to recapture lost glory, but may well find that a lost work ethic, previous defeats to other players ranked lower than him and intermittent motivation prove his downfall for good.um??????????

Fee
04-16-2006, 11:01 PM
I agree Deb. WTF?!?!?!

heya
04-16-2006, 11:01 PM
:bowdown: I'm tired of the congratulations for his family and friends because they're happy and satisfied (his mom's unconcerned because Andy's supposed to be left to make his OWN schedules and tennis choices and somehow John will save his career).
In contrast, he and his family can't stand hearing criticism about him; he only listens to advice from people he knows (PMc, Americans).
It's taboo that Andy behaves wiser than older people.
Comments "do nothing but hit crap out of the ball" and
"geniuses move in slow motion...they can't lose to me" "He's a legend...I'm a goof"
+ "I'm slower minded" took their toll on him.

Andy learns nothing as he attends sport award shows as a humiliated loser + parties at Hugh Hefner's (it's not funny anymore). The pain on his face was devastating.
The media and fans hate to say the painful truth about his life & relationships, but they still pay to watch him lose.

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 11:10 PM
I agree Deb. WTF?!?!?!I mean, i'm tough on andy... and I've questioned if he still wants to be an elite tennis player but.....???????????????????

Katdiva7
04-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Do we know why Andy pulled out of MC? I just saw that he wasn't in the draw in GM...

Deboogle!.
04-16-2006, 11:36 PM
Because he didn't want to play. He hasn't played for years. None of the Americans are playing, they didn't give a reason. We can only guess as to why.

Dirk
04-17-2006, 11:45 AM
In Europe, the way he smiled with a "I don't care, a long match's good enough.
I finally reached a tiebreak. Hurry and beat me" look on his face and immaturely whined at the audience proved that clay is a joke to him.
This was his attitude in Davis Cup, Rome and Hamburg. Paris's just a place to relax with friends.

He claimed "I don't move well on clay", (Brad Gilbert loved hearing that, as he believes Blake's greater on clay).

Yet, Andy ballooned to 197 pounds, stuffed himself with pizza and hotdogs (before the Chang 2001 FO match).

2 years ago, he was violently ill after cramming pizza in his stomach + stayed up at night with Lauren Bedford (the rebound "smiley girlfriend") the night before a French Open match with Todd Martin....too bad a clay courter didn't win the 1st match easily to end Andy's misery instead.

:lol: Heya, you have me in tears with this post. The stuffing himself with pizza and hotdogs had me going for the tissues. :lol:

morningglory
04-18-2006, 12:48 AM
:haha: @ Heya :haha: :yeah:

blosson
04-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Can Andy drop to 6th in the rankings after the clay season? David will probably shoot ahead, Ljubicic is not that far behind and neither is Davydenko. James could also drop a couple of places with Gaudio and Coria closing in. Oh well.

Maybe, just maybe Andy plays above expectations and makes to the 4th round of each clay tourney :lol: and manages to keep his rankings high enought for Wimbledon. :unsure:

Deboogle!.
04-19-2006, 09:25 PM
He'll be 5 next week - David and Ljubicic already ahead of him. Davydenko lost early at Monte Carlo so he is a ways back already. He could drop to 6 but he will probably still be seeded 3 for wimby anyway b/c of the formula.

blosson
04-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Andy might even do well on clay. Who knows he makes to the 4th round at RG. I'm already assuming he will earn 1 solitary point from each mud tourney. :lol:

He could think "clay, Russia, clay, DC, clay, Marat, clay, DC, clay, champion, clay, USA DC champion...clay" to get some inspiration.

Black Adam
04-21-2006, 04:09 PM
It wouldn't be wise seeding Andy 3rd, afterall he is still number 2 on grass and Rafa is no challenge on grass.
Is Andy playing Barcelona.......he can grind a few points.

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Valencia was last week, and no Andy's not playing any of the smaller Euro clay events.

The Wimby seeding will be done by the formula and I'm pretty sure Andy's too far back to be able to get the #2 seed.

Black Adam
04-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Damn if he had bothered to show up in one of the Euro clay events before Rome he would got in the clay mood and done well later(RG)

MissFairy
04-21-2006, 04:21 PM
The Wimby seeding will be done by the formula and I'm pretty sure Andy's too far back to be able to get the #2 seed.
Boo. I was thinking that would be true. The third seed isn't necessarily in the top half is he?

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Boo. I was thinking that would be true. The third seed isn't necessarily in the top half is he?nope 3 and 4 are placed randomly... but .... andy's gotten good luck in draws for a long time.... he seems due |:

MissFairy
04-21-2006, 04:26 PM
nope 3 and 4 are placed randomly... but .... andy's gotten good luck in draws for a long time.... he seems due |:
|: |:

Oh crap.

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 04:28 PM
Does it matter? Is Andy gonna make it to the semis anyway?

tangerine_dream
04-21-2006, 04:28 PM
If Andy should win Queen's again this year then I would not doubt that Wimbledon would seed him No. 2 again.

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 04:30 PM
If they use the same formula as they've used the past 2 years, I don't think it'd matter. I think Andy's too far behind Nadal to be seeded 2 even by the very grass-results friendly formula. They don't just pull the seedings out of a hat.

What he has to do is try to gain points on the clay season so he is closer to Rafa. But the odds of him grabbing a few hundred points on clay are.... almost negligible.

MissFairy
04-21-2006, 04:31 PM
YES. It has been long enough since Andy last played a match for me to slip back into blind optimism, doncha know? ;)

partygirl
04-21-2006, 05:03 PM
If Andy should win Queen's again this year then I would not doubt that Wimbledon would seed him No. 2 again.

:haha:I would so love that. :haha:
not only the quadruple title and triplicate defense of...

but it would be like Wimbledon trying to hand him,
his god Damn trophy already. :haha: :crazy: :explode:

Fumus
04-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Any hope for Andy?

I was gone in Cancun for a week and I missed the second dc singles matches and all of the Houston tourny.

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Any hope for Andy?depends on who you ask. in my opinion, no evidence of there being much hope at this point.

Hope you had fun on your trip:)

partygirl
04-21-2006, 05:16 PM
there is always hope that's why were here.
-even if it's insufficient hope.

Neely
04-21-2006, 06:44 PM
I have hope for that. When I understand this formula correctly, it could become a close affair.

Last year the formula was:
1. Take INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking points at Monday, June 13, 2005
2. Add 100% of points earned for all grass court tournaments in the previous 12 months
3. Add 75% of points earned at a player’s best grass court event in the 12 months before that

so currently it would be:
1. 2715
2. 700 (Wimbledon final) + 225 (Queen's) = 925
3. his best grass court event "in the 12 months before that" would be also his Wimbledon final?! 2004 then, right? Or what do they mean? I'm unsure about this term actually :confused: So it would be 75% of 700 = 525
-----------
2715 + 925 + 525 = 4165

Is that right how I translated the words into numbers?

Presumed Nadal is winning Monte Carlo again he will be around 4350 again (you hardly have to worry about the grass points that Nadal adds due to the formula). So Andy's #2 seed for Wimbledon is not yet totally out of reach. It depends on him if he is defending Queen's again and if he makes some more rounds in the clay tournaments he is playing and also heavily on Nadal; first let him win Monte Carlo, then has to defend another Masters and a Slam. Enough points on stake if you look at it this way.

morningglory
04-21-2006, 06:54 PM
:haha:even if Andy is seeded 3rd if he's drawn into Nadal's 1/2 we shouldn't worry about him not making the finals... except if he draws Murray, Bonito, Andreev, Froggy or Tommy in the earlier rounds :tape: :p

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Neely thanks for doing all the points (and yes I think you did indeed do it correctly adding the 2004 Wimby final)... I know it's possible for Andy to still get the #2 seed - it would help him if Rafa doesn't defend all of his clay points, but some of it is largely in Andy's hands - he actually has some points from Rome to defend... he has all his queens points, etc. It may be possible, but it's going to be hard, and he has to decide he really wants to do it.

Fumus
04-21-2006, 07:34 PM
depends on who you ask. in my opinion, no evidence of there being much hope at this point.

Hope you had fun on your trip:)

insanely good time, I was thinking of updating my thread with some pics...lol...

and I cut my hair...but after the trip...so you can hold your scolding when you see the pics cuz it's short and spikey now....

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 07:37 PM
mmmmmm short and spiky!

blosson
04-21-2006, 07:41 PM
I think quite a few players who usually don't play Queens have signed up this year, Nadal included. I think Ljubo too. It will be tough for Andy. I have the impression that the grass courts at Queens are faster than Wimbledon. Does anyone else have this impression?

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 07:50 PM
yeah bloss, I've heard that too.

blosson
04-21-2006, 08:37 PM
I don't even know if faster courts help Andy nowadays. It probably makes his serve more efficient. Well fingers crossed.

I think his performance at Queens will be the key factor in order for Andy to do well at Wimbledon. He needs that confidence boost.

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 08:52 PM
I agree, and I do think that the faster courts would help him even more. Weather also plays a factor - on clay and grass - warm dry weather is much better for him.

morningglory
04-23-2006, 06:00 PM
So Nadal beat Fed...
and the odds of Wimby No.2 seed are slowly dwindling...

morningglory
04-23-2006, 06:14 PM
found this on WTAworld
"Just look at Andy Roddick. He has the biggest serve on the men's tour and he's not the No. 1 because other parts of his game are not so good. I think it's more important to have the desire and the other parts of your game."
-- Elena Dementieva, defending her weak serve. Ouch, like A-Rod doesn't have enough problems without getting slammed by WTA players.
that was in the stupid tennis quotes thread but it actually sounded very witty to me :haha:

tangerine_dream
04-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Will Baghdatis be at Queen's this year anyone know?

Nadal and Ljubo are interesting additions but they don't do well on very fast surfaces.

Thanks for the number crunching Neely :wavey:

Deboogle!.
04-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Will Baghdatis be at Queen's this year anyone know?He hasn't been confirmed yet as an early commitment - but the full entry list will be out in like, a week and a half or so, so I guess we'll find out then. :) On paper, Ljubicic should be good on grass, I think it's only a matter of time before he puts his game together on it.

Fee
04-24-2006, 03:22 AM
Marcos is on the early list for Halle so he probably won't be at Queen's Club.

heya
04-24-2006, 04:37 AM
Andy can't care less, but the huge bank account makes up for his dark, dreary life.
He can always babysit kids and pretend his game needs no changes.

Elena Dementieva isn't aware that the fastest serve is still far from the best serve, and Andy only started
serving differently when he was 16. There are muscle, athletic and fitness issues that not even Andy's "people" don't know about.
Then again, Elena's reasoning skills leave much to be desired....as sad as Andy's ability to say no to manipulative people.

Breakaway
04-24-2006, 05:17 AM
I think that once the grass and American hard-courts tournaments then we will see the old Andy. But on clay I just don't think we are going to see anything from him, that we would not have seen happen in the last year except in glimpses. So I think we are going to have to wait a bit, or hope that Andy and John are really cracking down on his game and focusing on what he needs to do to challenge the top players at Roland Garros. But will this happen? Who knows though, we always can hope.

heya
04-24-2006, 06:16 AM
Moonballing 30 mph and serving 150 mph certainly won't do a damn good.
With John as practice partner, he'll be dead meat.

He'll watch basketball, party til midnight, smack homeruns to the US Open crowd and then crash out of a match, as he did for several years. He was lucky in 2003 because no one played their best.

tangerine_dream
04-24-2006, 03:04 PM
So what's going on? Another Andy-free week? Good. It's nice to get a break from updating the blog.

But I'm working on a non-Andy article for the blog anyway. Guaranteed to piss off a certain group of delusional fans. :angel:

Fumus
04-24-2006, 07:05 PM
This forum is depressing but it always is at this time of year it seems. Just generally though we have a couple of tournies we can look back on that Andy won. This year is just bleh...oh well, everyone has peaks and valleys. I can't wait for grass season, maybe this will finally be the year, Andy wins Wimbledon!!

Deboogle!.
04-24-2006, 07:08 PM
This forum is depressing but it always is at this time of year it seems. Just generally though we have a couple of tournies we can look back on that Andy won. This year is just bleh...oh well, everyone has peaks and valleys. I can't wait for grass season, maybe this will finally be the year, Andy wins Wimbledon!!Andy hadn't won a title at this time in 2003....(of course he had made the AO semis and stuff....)

tangerine_dream
04-24-2006, 08:03 PM
This forum is depressing but it always is at this time of year it seems.

This may or may not help cheer you up some. ;) :hug:

I found the play of Roddick simply amazing, and at times, stellar. While he lost the Wimbledon final, don't you feel he revealed that Federer is human and capable of being beaten? Give or take a few points, Roddick would have been the champion.
-- Sonji, Greenville, S.C.

Agreed. If I'm Roddick and have had a few days to ruminate, I come away from Wimbledon pretty pleased. He played terrific tennis and showed what I thought was an unprecedented versatility in reaching the final. When he arrived there, he had his chances against the best in the business. Obviously he would like to have won the whole crumpet, but there's no shame in going down in four well-played, well-competed sets to Federer. If I'm Brad Gilbert, here's how I spin this to Roddick: Roger is a sick player (note: authentic Gilbert locution), but how much better can he get? You, on the other hand, still have a lot of upside and came within a few loose service games of beating him on grass.

By the way, a note to our readers who will be returning to college in the fall: There's an easy five-page paper to be written about how the games of Roddick and Federer parallel broader differences between Americans and Europeans. One on side of the net: relentless power, an utter lack of subtlety and a taste for combat. On the other side you have style, precision and (at least until recently) questionable ballast when under attack. String that along for a few more paragraphs, and you'll start your semester off with, at worst, a B+.

Fumus
04-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Andy hadn't won a title at this time in 2003....(of course he had made the AO semis and stuff....)

Yea, I agree. I don't really get so down about his results, ya know. Like I said peaks and valleys. I don't believe the talk that people figured out his game ya know that he's too one demensional and all that. Pete's game was simple too, he's was serve and volleying, people played him alot and they knew what they were going to get. Andy is the same way, when he is serving well and hitting his forehand well, I don't think it matters if you know it's coming or not, you can't stop it...lol. Confidence is all, and probably some good luck wouldn't hurt either. I know Andy is too good to fall off. I am just waiting for that result but I am hoping for Wimbly this year!!

heya
04-24-2006, 11:06 PM
But he didn't make his body stronger. You need a trim and energetic body....so you can avoid playing tiebreaks and break serves of Gilles Muller, Hewitt and Federer for once.

He decided to prioritize team competition and charity promotion. I didn't see anyone telling him no...because they were part of Team Roddick. I find it pathetic.

MissFairy
04-25-2006, 10:45 AM
So what's going on? Another Andy-free week? Good. It's nice to get a break from updating the blog.

But I'm working on a non-Andy article for the blog anyway. Guaranteed to piss off a certain group of delusional fans. :angel:
Ooo i eagerly await the latest edition! (: ESPECIALLY if it's going to make people angry :lol:

Golfnduck
04-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Andy better be fresh for RG, he's had alot of rest so far this year.

tangerine_dream
04-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Justin updated his blog and says the Americans skipping Euro clay is A-OK :yeah: Finally, somebody who sees reason. :bowdown: Here's part of his comments:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/justin_gimelstob/04/25/barcelona.clay/

There are two things that prevent the top Americans from participating in this and many other important clay-court events preceding and following this week: the surface itself and the duration of the European stretch of tournaments, from clay season to Wimbledon, the end of grass-court season. [. . .]

I don't think there's anything wrong with this. It's important to develop all-around games, and we all could benefit from spending more time in Europe on clay, learning about the intricacies of sliding, court positioning and shot selection. However, with the ATP calendar as full as it is, and with the tennis season already 10 months long, it's important to find breaks in the schedule to rest as well.

Since the European clay season is the least successful for Americans, it's a logical time to take a brief respite. It's identical to some of the clay specialists taking their breaks during grass season and the beginning of the U.S. summer hard-court stretch. Tennis is too challenging, physically and mentally, to go the whole year without some calculated breaks.

:bigclap: Thank you, Justin. I'm glad I'm not the only one who shrugs when the Americans don't show up at MC.

Fumus
04-25-2006, 05:03 PM
Justin updated his blog and says the Americans skipping Euro clay is A-OK :yeah: Finally, somebody who sees reason. :bowdown: Here's part of his comments:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/justin_gimelstob/04/25/barcelona.clay/

:bigclap: Thank you, Justin. I'm glad I'm not the only one who shrugs when the Americans don't show up at MC.

Nadal didn't play all the clay masters last year and neither did Federer. It's hard has hell to play all three of these things in a row. The Americans just skipped the first event but they will be in Rome and Hamburg. Federer didn't play here last year and it was unheard of when he announced he was going to play all the masters.

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Nadal didn't play all the clay masters last year and neither did Federer. It's hard has hell to play all three of these things in a row. The Americans just skipped the first event but they will be in Rome and Hamburg. Federer didn't play here last year and it was unheard of when he announced he was going to play all the masters.but IMO you can't compare. Because Federer does well in the events he shows up for. He's won Hamburg what, 3 times? The American guys struggle badly on clay and avoid the season as long as they can. Mind you I don't thik it's that big a deal that they don't play Monte Carlo (even though I think it's horrendously embarrassing for US mens tennis), but I don't think you can compare them to Fed and Rafa (who only didn't play Hamburg last year b/c he'd won a bunch of tourneys in a row and won a 5hour Rome final...). I think it's a different situation when you need to pull out of one b/c you played a lot of matches and when you pull out of one just b/c you don't want to play - the situations aren't comparable IMO.

Fumus
04-25-2006, 06:04 PM
but IMO you can't compare. Because Federer does well in the events he shows up for. He's won Hamburg what, 3 times? The American guys struggle badly on clay and avoid the season as long as they can. Mind you I don't thik it's that big a deal that they don't play Monte Carlo (even though I think it's horrendously embarrassing for US mens tennis), but I don't think you can compare them to Fed and Rafa (who only didn't play Hamburg last year b/c he'd won a bunch of tourneys in a row and won a 5hour Rome final...). I think it's a different situation when you need to pull out of one b/c you played a lot of matches and when you pull out of one just b/c you don't want to play - the situations aren't comparable IMO.

My point Deb is that, you can't play them all. Whether you play the first two or the last two, you can't play them all. I suppose if you really wanted to improve your game on clay you would, like Federer is trying to do.

Meanwhile, I just watched the 2005 Cinnci highlights on master series tv...man that was a good tourny for Andy. What a win over Hewitt...Andy was fired up bigtime. Too bad he got injured in that final, he really had a chance to post a win against Fedex.

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 06:05 PM
I suppose if you really wanted to improve your game on clay you would, like Federer is trying to do.Thank you for proving my point :kiss:

Fumus
04-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Thank you for proving my point :kiss:

Who wants to improve their game on clay, lets work on winning on Wimbly!

Fumus
04-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Who wants to improve their game on clay, lets work on winning on Wimbly!

Ohh yea, and USO again would be nice...and is it too early to think about Aussie next year? lol

HC and Grass is where it's at, I know...Andy knows it...the rest of the Americans know it there are more oppertunities to win tournies and pickup points on hc. It's just that simple.

I mean it would be nice to have some good results on clay....but...bleh...Andy will never be good on clay, and excluding maybe Ginepri, niether will the rest of the current crop of Americans.

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Ginepri's got the worst record on clay of them all, though.

Fumus
04-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Ginepri's got the worst record on clay of them all, though.

haha...um...well they should all be working on getting their grass court games fine tuned then...hahaha :cool:

Fumus
04-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Oh well, anyways, if Andy does have a good season a makes the semis or qrts of a clay masters or sumtin...that would be...just super. Hopefully Andy gets a good draw everywhere he goes.

heya
04-25-2006, 10:42 PM
I watch him to see him win tournaments,
not to see him collapse with an ankle sprain because he coincidentally neither takes care of his body nor takes 8-10 seconds in order to think about an upcoming smart serve. Oh, and it'd be human to not use Davis Cup as an excuse for losing
and twisting your back and cancelling tournaments.

I know Mom and Dad love him to visit between tournaments, but they don't own a slave boy son. Andy's self-absorbedness and anxiety in charity exhibitions/auctions/DC ties/Parties give his opponents advantages and time to gloat.... We all know who loved witnessing Loser Andy after Thailand and Saturday Night Live.

Please avoid the typical loser Roddick family tradition of
showboating (celebrating energy-draining 155 mph serves and shit footwork due to weight gain).

morningglory
04-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Oh well, anyways, if Andy does have a good season a makes the semis or qrts of a clay masters or sumtin...that would be...just super. Hopefully Andy gets a good draw everywhere he goes.
sorry dude, but I don't see it happenin'.... not the present form Andy...
some streaks of 4th rounds for some minor points would be nice... and try to grab the #2 seed at Wimby or run the risk of a Fed Semi...

rofe
04-26-2006, 01:14 AM
Hello fellow Andy and James lovers,

Have these two signed up to play Rome yet (I know officially they are but still I had to ask) ?

I hope they go to Europe early to practise on the red mud.

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 01:15 AM
They both intend to play Rome. I dunno when James is going there but Andy is doing a charity thing with the Bryans May 3 so he can't get there til like at least the 4th :rolleyes:

love your stuff in GM, btw ;)

rofe
04-26-2006, 01:41 AM
They both intend to play Rome. I dunno when James is going there but Andy is doing a charity thing with the Bryans May 3 so he can't get there til like at least the 4th :rolleyes:

Yeah, playing charity events when he should be practising hard on the red stuff is frustrating but I guess he has his priorities straight. He probably knows that going deep in Rome is a shot in the dark. But then again, why play at all? Oh well, maybe he will play better when he has nothing to lose. Maybe we will see a rejuvenated Andy at Queens.

love your stuff in GM, btw ;)

Thanks! :)

Fumus
04-26-2006, 01:43 AM
Andy is playing in the world team thing? Arag? !?

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 01:45 AM
Yeah, playing charity events when he should be practising hard on the red stuff is frustrating but I guess he has his priorities straight. He probably knows that going deep in Rome is a shot in the dark. But then again, why play at all? Oh well, maybe he will play better when he has nothing to lose. Maybe we will see a rejuvenated Andy at Queens.Well the Bryans are doing it too, and they do have a chance to go deep at Rome, and Hamburg, and RG, and wherever else they play :p I guess if they were to leave right from Charleston and go to Rome, that's 4 days before the tourney starts and is probably enough time to get acclimatized and all, but I guarantee Federer and Nadal will be there before then. We could never ask him to give up charity events, he loves them and it's who he is and it's for great causes.. it's just too bad the event wasn't just a couple days earlier:p

The problem isn't so much the charity event as the fact that I'm sure he's been practicing on green and not red clay since Houston.

Yes Ryan he is playing with Robby and the twins for the US. I hope they get Chile, Argentina, and Spain in their group so Andy has to play good players :p

rofe
04-26-2006, 02:44 AM
Well the Bryans are doing it too, and they do have a chance to go deep at Rome, and Hamburg, and RG, and wherever else they play :p I guess if they were to leave right from Charleston and go to Rome, that's 4 days before the tourney starts and is probably enough time to get acclimatized and all, but I guarantee Federer and Nadal will be there before then. We could never ask him to give up charity events, he loves them and it's who he is and it's for great causes.. it's just too bad the event wasn't just a couple days earlier:p

The problem isn't so much the charity event as the fact that I'm sure he's been practicing on green and not red clay since Houston.

Yes Ryan he is playing with Robby and the twins for the US. I hope they get Chile, Argentina, and Spain in their group so Andy has to play good players :p

Sure, that is why I said that he has his priorities straight. Playing for a good cause is a noble thing to do but it is still a little annoying that he won't be in Europe sooner. It is not just match practice on clay. He has to acclimatize himself to Europe and 4 days just doesn't seem enough.

IMHO, WTT should not even be considered as practice for RG.

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 02:48 AM
Sure, that is why I said that he has his priorities straight. Playing for a good cause is a noble thing to do but it is still a little annoying that he won't be in Europe sooner. It is not just match practice on clay. He has to acclimatize himself to Europe and 4 days just doesn't seem enough. Sigh, I do agree. But we just have to accept it I think.IMHO, WTT should not even be considered as practice for RG.It's hard to say. Some of the competition is really good. if andy were to play Gaudio, Massu, Volandri, Nalby, Ferrer, etc. I think that's good preparation and better than he'd get if he played St. Polten or whatever it's gonna be this year. On the other hand you sacrifice getting to Paris early so then you have like no time to get used to Paris before you play - but a couple years ago Andy got to Paris mega-early and it didn't help him so maybe it doesn't matter at all.

well unless and until Andy really dedicates his mind to doing well on clay nothing is gonna matter at all :o

Fumus
04-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Well the Bryans are doing it too, and they do have a chance to go deep at Rome, and Hamburg, and RG, and wherever else they play :p I guess if they were to leave right from Charleston and go to Rome, that's 4 days before the tourney starts and is probably enough time to get acclimatized and all, but I guarantee Federer and Nadal will be there before then. We could never ask him to give up charity events, he loves them and it's who he is and it's for great causes.. it's just too bad the event wasn't just a couple days earlier:p

Is it on Clay? What made Andy want to play it? I know Robby does like every year...

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Is it on Clay? What made Andy want to play it? I know Robby does like every year...Of course it's on clay, it's the week before the French Open.. I don't know why Andy's playing. He played in 2002. Money? Guaranteed matchplay right before RG? Sadly, I am not inside Andy's head :(

Fumus
04-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Of course it's on clay, it's the week before the French Open.. I don't know why Andy's playing. He played in 2002. Money? Guaranteed matchplay right before RG? Sadly, I am not inside Andy's head :(

Maybe he's feeling extra patriotic, ya know and now he's gonna play the poor man's davis cup too!!

Havok
04-26-2006, 09:31 PM
I think it's better for Andy to play the week leading up to Roland Garros so that he enters there more match tough and with recent clay matches under his belt, rather than having the week off to practice, etc. We all know that he won't have a deep run there anyways and isn't as concentrated on winning that slam than the other 3 (where he has a legit chance of winning any of the 3) so that week of training on the clay and stuff just seems like a waste of time. IMO I see this as a good thing, so straight from playing this world team whatever it's called, then going straight to Paris to get RG started is a good idea.:) He'll be gone by the time the QF roll over (or maybe pigs will fly and Andy will make it that far :shrug: ) so an extra week of rest prior to a Slam, particularly this one, wont be as important.

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 09:36 PM
I think it's better for Andy to play the week leading up to Roland Garros so that he enters there more match tough and with recent clay matches under his belt, rather than having the week off to practice, etc. We all know that he won't have a deep run there anyways and isn't as concentrated on winning that slam than the other 3 (where he has a legit chance of winning any of the 3) so that week of training on the clay and stuff just seems like a waste of time. IMO I see this as a good thing, so straight from playing this world team whatever it's called, then going straight to Paris to get RG started is a good idea.:) He'll be gone by the time the QF roll over (or maybe pigs will fly and Andy will make it that far :shrug: ) so an extra week of rest prior to a Slam, particularly this one, wont be as important.That's a very interesting counterargument and makes a ton of sense. Thanks:D

heya
04-27-2006, 12:14 AM
Giving back to the community is best when you can't care less about winning 2 matches at the US Open. If I'm not mistaken, maturity and genius are traits of Roddick folks and friends.

heya
04-27-2006, 12:22 AM
AT least money will help lessen the pain of having losing head-to-head records.
The 1-10 and 1-6 records vs. Andy's fave outdoor hardcrt. and grass players,
and 1-3 records vs clay players are extraordinary.
Next time, he'll crash out of Wimbledon 2nd round after avoiding sidespin slicing tactics and continuing with moonballs and 130-155 mph serves.

partygirl
04-27-2006, 12:36 AM
"do it for the money ande!!!"

-call him: "for the money roddick"

heya
04-27-2006, 01:23 AM
conundrum

1. Lie to Andy about winning Slams
but do nothing for him. Eat Cheetos...relax on the boat.

2. Tell him to donate money and make sponsors happy,
but don't give him a rare opportunity to become a legend....after
all....let ANdy believe he's stupid and make him stay at the low level he's at.
Knowledgeable fans and Andy know what he's paid to do--
Have real coach support and Never-say-die, tiger killing prey tennis.

Family, American Express and friends, however, live in another galaxy....they're all about team work and money!!!!
You see...rich Andy won't give much of his own money to the world....
but poor, middle-classed folks PAY $$$$$$ to HIS AR Foundation and EXHIBITION PROMOTERS.:haha: :o

am&a
04-27-2006, 01:46 AM
Giving back to the community is best when you can't care less about winning 2 matches at the US Open. you mean one match. |:

morningglory
04-27-2006, 02:02 AM
heya... :hug: :haha:
No I don't think he'll sink as low as to suck on grass too.... he'd have retired by then

morningglory
04-27-2006, 02:05 AM
and no way he'll lose on grass to cheap players with that kind of serve speed.... well except to that Italian Broccoli guy.... but otherwise he'll have a free pass to the SF at least (I think) or (I hope he doesn't draw Marat)

partygirl
04-27-2006, 02:11 AM
does anyone else think that it might be better for him to meet roger before the final sunday?

roger is just so close to unbeatable in finals, i dont think andy is ready for that.
depending on which roddick shows up a QRT or SF match may not be the worst.:shrug:

heya
04-27-2006, 02:17 AM
Duh, he almost lost to BRACCIALI and ROCHUS in his PRECIOUS PATRIOTIC DC "do anything to win" tie.
There was no problem in his mind when he crashed out between July and April.

The indifferent, bad call-littered circus match in Madrid and pitiful injury mess in Paris
didn't just pop up. How fast they came ever since he told the media to give Federer more credit. : - o
"I gave my best.....but my best just wasn't enough!"

There're enough cha ching and love though!!!
Andy further damaged his back at yet ANOTHER exhibition!!!
A back Injury is never preventable. :- >
Thoughtless, stressful serving isn't changeable....after all.

Fumus
04-27-2006, 03:55 PM
does anyone else think that it might be better for him to meet roger before the final sunday?

roger is just so close to unbeatable in finals, i dont think andy is ready for that.
depending on which roddick shows up a QRT or SF match may not be the worst.:shrug:

Yep, I think it is better that Andy faces Fed in a semi, or qtr rather than a final...lest I remind you the last time Andy played Fed in a semifinal Roddick won.

Golfnduck
04-27-2006, 04:37 PM

I'm with you on that one. Fed is alot more beatable in the earlier rounds.

heya
04-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Well, spending time on an exhibition tour and not working hard wouldn't allow him any chance to win any round. There's Kindness and there's stupid FUCKING Foolishness....he chose the latter.

Last fall, he was bored, just as he predicted.
Indifferent after travelling outside the US.
He LET BAD CALLS destroy his return game against KARLOVIC, who has a huge serve and couldn't run. Andy was even more lethargic than Ivo.
He didn't learn how to serve or make himself fight and run fast.
The weight lifting did nothing for his muscles.....heavy ass.
He barely could block a shot deep and lectured the umpire like he was the umpire's mother. Time to grow up, Rodd.

Breakaway
04-29-2006, 06:54 PM
IF Andy were to win Roland Garros what a way that would be to shut all the critics up! :)

morningglory
04-29-2006, 09:15 PM
IF Andy were to win Roland Garros what a way that would be to shut all the critics up! :)
not happening even if the entire top 20 gets injured... :haha:
Winning wimby beating Fed in the final would be a more reachable goal...

Breakaway
04-30-2006, 02:37 AM
Well it would be an incredible thing no doubt. Anything Andy can do at Roland Garros would be a positive step forward, considering he makes a run of course.

morningglory
04-30-2006, 04:33 AM
Duh, he almost lost to BRACCIALI and ROCHUS in his PRECIOUS PATRIOTIC DC "do anything to win" tie.
There was no problem in his mind when he crashed out between July and April.

The indifferent, bad call-littered circus match in Madrid and pitiful injury mess in Paris
didn't just pop up. How fast they came ever since he told the media to give Federer more credit. : - o
"I gave my best.....but my best just wasn't enough!"

There're enough cha ching and love though!!!
Andy further damaged his back at yet ANOTHER exhibition!!!
A back Injury is never preventable. :- >
Thoughtless, stressful serving isn't changeable....after all.
heya, if the Rod has to change his serve, in the process his rankings'll plummet beyond all hopes of redemption and by the time he actually gets some PLACEMENT on his serve and less blind power, he'd be ranked so low he'd actually lose in the qualies of slams already...
Keep the serve, but step up to the baseline and for the love of John, Mardy and Maria please don't come to the net on those so-called-approach shots...
And while ur at it get a BH please...

Gulliver
04-30-2006, 11:30 AM
I've come to the conclusion that Roddick gets comfort from being in a team. He says he loves DC (no reason to disbelieve him), and the WTC is similar. He's still the lead guy in both for USA, good for his morale, teammates urging him on and vice versa. Nothing wrong with that but he probably misses them when he's in other tournaments and on his own on court. Same with his family, but comforter John is now with him. He's still on a toddler's leading strings IMO.

surfpinky
04-30-2006, 04:21 PM
wtc?

Deboogle!.
04-30-2006, 04:40 PM
world team cup, i think?

surfpinky
04-30-2006, 04:41 PM
o ....I feel dumb. |:
I just always think of something else when I see wtc...

Deboogle!.
04-30-2006, 04:42 PM
i do too....

Breakaway
04-30-2006, 04:53 PM
As do I :sad:

Deboogle!.
05-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Coach's Corner
May 2nd, 2006 10:50 am

I am really looking forward to getting on the court in Charleston! Having Andy’s serve on my side of the net should make my life a bit easier. The last time we played together was in DC in 2001, where we beat Canas and Orsenic, and then lost to Tarango. I have gone up against the Bryans a couple of times in the past, and hopefully Andy and I will have a different result this time.

heya
05-02-2006, 10:06 PM
You know the Spanish and Argentines would always spend more time working than flying around America for exhibitions. :inlove:
Dimwit Americans. :bowdown: I say that with honor and patriotism.

That's why I love Nadal more and respect Andy less.

partygirl
05-02-2006, 10:34 PM
hey! for those who have not bothered to care, Andy is a 100 to 1 shot in Vbetting to win
the french.
and 29 other cool people have wagered. :cool:

sounds like my kind of action.http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/violent051.gif

Merton
05-03-2006, 01:02 AM
hey! for those who have not bothered to care, Andy is a 100 to 1 shot in Vbetting to win
the french.
and 29 other cool people have wagered. :cool:

sounds like my kind of action.http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/violent051.gif

The odds just reflect what is going on in the real betting markets: http://www.oddschecker.com/betting/mode/o/card/tennis-mensfrenchopen/odds/1960843x/sid/818932 Andy is currently around 140:1 in betsfair, so he is not considered a legitimate contender.

Merton
05-03-2006, 01:03 AM
Deb, your avatar :haha: :haha: :haha: May Lord Carlos indeed inspire him.

Deboogle!.
05-03-2006, 01:06 AM
Deb, your avatar :haha: :haha: :haha: May Lord Carlos indeed inspire him.:p used it last year and I dug it up. Thought it was a good one - old or not ;)

Merton
05-03-2006, 01:20 AM
:p used it last year and I dug it up. Thought it was a good one - old or not ;)

It is a great one. I joined after Wimbledon last year, so i missed it :p

Deboogle!.
05-03-2006, 01:24 AM
that's true, it's new for some people, that's good :p

It still is nowhere near as good as Tangy's, though. :worship:

partygirl
05-03-2006, 01:33 AM
he is not considered a legitimate contender.
Exactlyhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/sport028.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/sport028.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/sport028.gif

Deboogle!.
05-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Bryans get another shot at Roddick tonight

BY JAMES BECK
The Post and Courier

Twins Mike and Bob Bryan have a reason to be fired up for their doubles match tonight against Andy and John Roddick at Family Circle Magazine Stadium.

"We have some unfinished business," said Mike Bryan, the right-handed half of the world's top-ranked doubles team.

This bit of business dates back eight years to when the Bryans and John Roddick were on opposite sides in tennis' NCAA championship match. John Roddick has added little brother Andy to his team. You remember, Andy Roddick, right?:o He's the one with the world's fastest serve. Brother John serves as his coach.

While tonight's pro-set doubles matchup should be fun-filled, the highlight of the exhibition will be a best-of-three nightcap singles match pitting 2003 U.S. Open champion Andy Roddick against Paul Goldstein. Roddick is currently ranked fifth in the world, while Goldstein is ranked No. 61.

The Lexus of Charleston All-American Tennis Shootout will start at 7 p.m. on Daniel Island.

"Bob and I played against John (and partner Steve Baldas) at No. 1 doubles. John was up 7-4 and we brought it back to 7-7 when the match was clinched," Mike said about the unfinished business from the Bryans' and Stanford's 1998 NCAA title victory over Georgia and John Roddick.

Tonight will be all fun, although Mike Bryan said, "There's not a lot of pressure, but you definitely want to win. You don't want to hear it from your buddies."

Andy Roddick and the Bryans have been getting together several times each year for Davis Cup competition. They'll go to Russia together in September for a Davis Cup semifinal showdown.

But the Bryans are excited about returning tonight to the site of their 2004 Davis Cup semifinal victory over Belarus. Bob said the crowd of 10,000 that watched the twins clinch the U.S. victory provided "the best atmosphere in the States I've

ever played in." He also said, "I consider that to be one of the best matches I've ever played."

The Bryans have been in five straight Grand Slam doubles finals, winning the last two. Each has won three Grand Slam doubles crowns and two Grand Slam mixed doubles titles.

They played two years at Stanford, leading the Cardinal to national championships in 1997 and 1998. Goldstein played on both Stanford teams.

One of the main reasons for today's exhibition is to help the players make the transition to European red clay.

"This works well on clay before going overseas," said Mike Bryan, noting that the players will spend the next nine weeks in Europe, beginning with next week's tournament in Rome.

Shootout info

--Wayne Bryan, the twins' father, will serve as the master of ceremonies for the evening.

--Collegiate players from South Carolina, Clemson, The Citadel and College of Charleston will participate in preliminary matches along with representatives from the Charleston Pro Tennis League. There also will be a media match.

--The Roddicks are scheduled to fly in today from Austin, Texas, along with Goldstein. The Bryans will arrive today from Florida.

--If the Roddick-Goldstein match goes to a third set, a tiebreaker will serve as the final set.

--ESPN is scheduled to have a camera crew on hand tonight. :eek:

surfpinky
05-03-2006, 04:02 PM
ooo thanks deb!

blosson
05-03-2006, 06:16 PM
So ESPN will show some charity event but not DC or even some real tournaments. Hum.

Well at least it should be a fun / funny event. Let us (the rest of us who don't get ESPN) know what's Andy's up. :)

Deboogle!.
05-03-2006, 07:18 PM
My guess is that they'll just show it on their daily entertainment type show and do a little segment on it. I doubt they'll show like the whole thing or anything like that :eek:

morningglory
05-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Exactlyhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/sport028.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/sport028.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/sport028.gif
:yawn: what's new? Keep THIS form up and he wont be a legit contender for USO when the time comes either... :yawn:

partygirl
05-03-2006, 10:37 PM
andy prepares for clay:

Deboogle!.
05-04-2006, 01:37 AM
According to the admin at AR.com (per an update posted on the homepage there), the Bryans beat the Roddicks 8-6 (pro set I guess) :lol:

And Andy won the first set against Goldie 6-3

renee_chin
05-04-2006, 02:00 AM
There's livescoring threads in the forum (the admin is updating). The Bryans took a 4-0 lead before the Roddicks levelled. At 5-5, the Roddicks had their noses in front to take a 6-5, and the unthinkable happened - the Bryans won! :p

Deboogle!.
05-04-2006, 02:02 AM
Yeah, if that doesn't sound scripted I dunno what does :lol:

But considering Goldie's gotten to more semifinals than Andy has this year (:o) maybe beating him easily is a good thing :o

renee_chin
05-04-2006, 02:04 AM
Definitely a great confidence-boosting experince for Andy :lol:

Deboogle!.
05-04-2006, 02:09 AM
yea :sobbing:

well, looks like andy won 6-3 6-2 :p

surfpinky
05-04-2006, 02:11 AM
no way, the bryans won? |:!

Deboogle!.
05-04-2006, 02:12 AM
:haha:

renee_chin
05-04-2006, 02:14 AM
No way! Andy won?! :eek: Umm... Now, do we celebrate, or do we not?! :p

Deboogle!.
05-04-2006, 02:16 AM
I think..... considering it was an exho and andy owns Paul anyway.... we do not.... :o

surfpinky
05-04-2006, 02:16 AM
OH MY GOD ANDY WON A MATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!