Please Lets Do Some Winning in Monte-Carlo - The Master Series Monte-Carlo [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Please Lets Do Some Winning in Monte-Carlo - The Master Series Monte-Carlo

03-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Well I try to stay ahead of Robby on threads so this is the next Tournament after Houston. I don't hold out a lot of hope for Robby in Monte-Carlo tennis-wise, but it is a beautiful place so maybe he can enjoy himself some ;)

Fee
03-29-2006, 06:52 PM
Americans have a bad habit of skipping Monte Carlo, so don't be surprised if he doesn't play here.

Deboogle!.
03-29-2006, 07:45 PM
especially if he goes deep at houston.

wow.

03-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Americans have a bad habit of skipping Monte Carlo, so don't be surprised if he doesn't play here.
Well sorry to say, but I don't think Robby is going to go deep in Houston :sad: And why do Americans have a habit of skipping Monte-Carlo? Is it because it is on clay? I would love to go there myself ;)

Deboogle!.
03-30-2006, 04:23 AM
Because it's usually right around Houston and the American guys are fiercely loyal to that tournament. Andy hasn't played MC in years. He's never lost before the finals of Houston so you might be talking playing in Houston on Sunday and Monte Carlo on Tuesday. That's havoc for the body. and a lot of his fellow buddies pull out, too. I wish they'd go, they need to play over there with the real claycourters, but they don't. :shrug:

am&a
03-30-2006, 04:37 AM
mae, i love your thread titles. especially how it says monte-carlo twice. that's totally my favorite part.

fangirl
03-30-2006, 04:39 AM
mae, i love your thread titles. especially how it says monte-carlo twice. that's totally my favorite part.

Marry me.

Deboogle!.
03-30-2006, 04:42 AM
I thought you were already married.

03-30-2006, 04:43 AM
It's not my fault that the city's name is part of the Tournament's name :shrug:

fangirl
03-30-2006, 04:45 AM
It's not my fault that the city's name is part of the Tournament's name :shrug:

Its not my fault that some people make me laugh a whole lot.

am&a
03-30-2006, 04:46 AM
oh i'm not complaining. i think it's rather fantastic. i mean, if you don't read monte-carlo the first time, you totally have a second chance to read it. i think it's a great idea. |:

Deboogle!.
03-30-2006, 04:47 AM
AMANDA YOU FORGOT THE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

|:!

fangirl
03-30-2006, 04:48 AM
oh i'm not complaining. i think it's rather fantastic. i mean, if you don't read monte-carlo the first time, you totally have a second chance to read it. i think it's a great idea. |:
Especially because some people can't read or realise that things don't make sense when they read it back.

Deboogle!.
03-30-2006, 04:52 AM
whew ok all is right with the world.

Kell, look at the rep I left you

idolwatcher1
04-10-2006, 05:31 AM
Robby is listed on the entry list (http://montecarlo.masters-series.com/1005/players/) for TMS Monte Carlo, but he's also said to be in Atlanta, Georgia (http://www.paces325.com/register/) on April 20th... the 1st round singles matches end on the 18th... :unsure: Either Robby is expecting a first round loss there (which is definitely possible), or he is willing to cancel his appearance in Atlanta on the 20th, or he is not really going to play in Monte Carlo at all this year... Is it the latter? :confused:

Deboogle!.
04-10-2006, 05:38 AM
Most of the Americans don't play. James in his press conference today after the Davis Cup matches didn't even mention it in his claycourt schedule. They just don't like to go over there right around Houston I guess :shrug:

idolwatcher1
04-10-2006, 05:50 AM
mmkay... I don't necessarily blame them, but since they are both seeded in the Top 20, I was thinking maybe they would go this year... do they get penalized for not showing, or how does that work?

Fee
04-10-2006, 06:09 AM
Pretty sure there will be a fine for withdrawing without a medical excuse. They will also be 'zero-pointed' which means that of their 18 best results, one of them will be 0 points and they won't be allowed to count another result in its place.

bavaria100
04-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Honestly, I'll be very dissappointed in Robby if he doesn't show up in Monte Carlo this year. He has to play there, especially if he loses his first round match in Houston.

04-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Well I hope Robby does play because if he doesn't we have wasted two threads on Monte Carlo :p

Deboogle!.
04-10-2006, 04:28 PM
mmkay... I don't necessarily blame them, but since they are both seeded in the Top 20, I was thinking maybe they would go this year... do they get penalized for not showing, or how does that work?It's allllllll in the ATP Rulebook on the ATP site - they might not get a fine for the first Masters withdrawal as long as it's before the Friday noon deadline, I honestly don't remember. But as Fee said, they will be zero-pointed for sure. And actually, Robby wouldn't be seeded in MC without a few withdrawals, it's only a 16-seed tourney.

I agree bavaria, he should play, and so should all of them, but I guess after a few years of whining about it I'm just accepting that they aren't gonna, even though it makes me go :o :mad: :rolleyes:

04-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Well I hope Robby does play because if he doesn't we have wasted two threads on Monte Carlo :p
Our double thread problem has been straighten out. Now if Robby will just play The Tournament ;)

idolwatcher1
04-11-2006, 04:30 AM
I wanted him to at least go there and try, but it's his decision... and I guess 'Cisco is going along with it... :shrug:

Deboogle!.
04-11-2006, 04:33 AM
Our double thread problem has been straighten out. Now if Robby will just play The Tournament ;)someone must have asked the admins to combine them.

He has no reason to not go over now. But that doesn't mean he will ;)

idolwatcher1
04-11-2006, 04:39 AM
well, Robby most likely made promises to make an appearance at Paces325 at Buckhead on April 20th... If he hadn't scheduled that, then he really wouldn't have any reason not to go to Monte Carlo...

Deboogle!.
04-11-2006, 04:48 AM
What's the appearance for? I know I'm used to it by now but it's still disappointing to see these guys take the clay so lightly and miss such a huge event. Plus I think it would be character-building from them to go to Europe and stay there for the whole season. If most of the rest of the tour can spend multiple months away from home and perform well, I should think our guys can do it, too. :)

darnyelb posted in GM About the match, he/she was there. http://menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=3333348&postcount=3

04-11-2006, 04:43 PM
I'm with you Deb. Our U.S. men will never be good on clay if they don't do some playing on it :mad: :sad: I remember a player, could it have been Federer :confused: , who said he wanted to thank all the players that made him hit backhands because it had improved his backhand. And that is the same with our players on clay, how can they get better if they won't go play :ras:

Fee
04-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Robby has officially pulled out of Monte Carlo now.

04-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Robby has officially pulled out of Monte Carlo now.
That's great Robby make your little appearance here in the U.S. and skip a Tournament :sad: I guess he saved money on the trip because he would have only gotten beat anyway :ras:

Deboogle!.
04-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Robby would've made money - prize money for a first round loss in a Masters would surely have covered his travel expenses;)

bavaria100
04-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Well, what can I say except that I'm very disappointed in him. I hoped that he would have the guts to show up this year, but it's always the same story. It's sad, because I think playing more often in other country's can even help a player to become more mature. I think the Americans in general will never learn it that the Masters Tournament in Monte Carlo is more important and has more prestige than this small tourney in Houston or a lousy exhibition match in the boonies.

04-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Well, what can I say except that I'm very disappointed in him. I hoped that he would have the guts to show up this year, but it's always the same story. It's sad, because I think playing more often in other country's can even help a player to become more mature. I think the Americans in general will never learn it that the Masters Tournament in Monte Carlo is more important and has more prestige than this small tourney in Houston or a lousy exhibition match in the boonies.
I agree bavaria100. And Deb I'm sure Robby could have made money going to Monte Carlo, but that was just my little dig at him for the way he has been playing :ras: As the saying goes "No guts, no glory", and I really do think most of the U.S. Men are gutless when it comes to clay
:smash:

Deboogle!.
04-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Well, what can I say except that I'm very disappointed in him. I hoped that he would have the guts to show up this year, but it's always the same story. It's sad, because I think playing more often in other country's can even help a player to become more mature. I think the Americans in general will never learn it that the Masters Tournament in Monte Carlo is more important and has more prestige than this small tourney in Houston or a lousy exhibition match in the boonies.Well I agree. Except that Houston is just really important to these guys. I guess I know more about Andy's situation there but he is close personal friends with the McInvales, the crowd there feels like they know him personally because the same people go out every year and cheer him on and all the Americans, too. What I experienced was that the crowd really grew to love these guys, it's important to the tournament, the fans, and the guys themselves to play there. So I mean it's hard to fault them for wanting to play at a place like this. For Andy it's as close as he has to a hometown tournament now and his family and all his friends always go there. So how can we tell these guys not to show up?

But that all said, they can indeed be gutsy and go to Monte Carlo. Obviously it's a difficult travel turnaround and stuff, but they could do it if they really wanted to. And they obviously don't want to, so they have to be comfortable with playing Houston and then not again til Rome 3 weeks later. What will they do in the interim? Practice in the US here on hartru clay? That'd be pretty :o as it's not matchplay and it's not at all the same surface or conditions and stuff. I dunno, they're the ones that have to live with it though. It's them, and I suppose US tennis in general it reflects poorly upon. It's too bad the USTA can't encourage them to do it somehow, because i think it reflects poorly on the whole association in some ways.

Oh well :shrug:

04-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Well I can see Andy wanting to play Houston even more than the other American players because Houston is close
enough to where Andy lives. And Deb mentioned personal friends are involved also. But Andy is also the Davis Cup team leader and he knows when the other country gets to pick the surface to put the U.S. DC Team on well it is going to be clay and no it isn't like the clay in Houston. So you would think he would especially want to work on his clay court game because to Andy's credit he is passionate about the Davis Cup. (I'm sure the other players are passionate also, but Andy has been the leader of the DC Team for awhile now and you can certainly tell even on TV how thrilled he is when he wins a DC match up. And he is even more thrilled when it is the deciding point. I wish Andy would play more of his own Matches with the focus and excitement he seems to have when he is playing DC. I'm sure he would have a better personal record).

idolwatcher1
04-12-2006, 05:09 AM
Robby is making a "special guest appearance" at a private preview party for Paces 325 (on April 20th), which is a new high-rise condominium place in Atlanta. I'm assuming the party is for prospective residents and people who want to check it out... They're probably trying to cater to the younger crowd and attract those people to get a place there, so that it stays a "young and hip" place to live... People attending the party can meet Robby and get to know him as well as enter for a chance to win a trip to the US Open... I wish I was at the party!

I really do wish Robby would have gone to Monte Carlo though...

bavaria100
04-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Well I agree. Except that Houston is just really important to these guys. I guess I know more about Andy's situation there but he is close personal friends with the McInvales, the crowd there feels like they know him personally because the same people go out every year and cheer him on and all the Americans, too. What I experienced was that the crowd really grew to love these guys, it's important to the tournament, the fans, and the guys themselves to play there. So I mean it's hard to fault them for wanting to play at a place like this. For Andy it's as close as he has to a hometown tournament now and his family and all his friends always go there. So how can we tell these guys not to show up?

Well, I understand this but the fact is that this isn't the only tournament which is held in the United States. I think there are 10 till 15 tournaments per year, that's why I think that they don't have to play this tournament every year. I can understand it that Andy and all the other guys don't want to let the people down, but they have to do what's best for themselves and their game and the past years have shown that playing Houston instead of Monte Carlo hasn't been a good option. Just take a look at our german players. We have 5 tournaments in Germany (Munich, Hamburg, WTC, Halle and Stuttgart) and our best players are always skipping Stuttgart in order to have a better preparation for the US Hardcourt season. I'm very sure that the spectators would be happier if they get to see Kiefer and Haas and I think they both would love to play this tourney but they don't do it. If a player wants to be successful, he has to be selfish from time to time.

Deboogle!.
04-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Well I think to them, they are being selfish by playing this tournament because they get treated so well there. They don't all play all the US tourneys, but they all play Houston because of how they are treated and stuff. And I think they also like to start the clay season playing close to home where they are perhaps mentally more comfortable against perhaps competition that's not quite as strong, but still on the exact same surface. I think that most of these guys (Tommy Haas included, BTW) will play Houston as long as they are playing.

04-13-2006, 03:27 AM
Yes I think Tommy likes Houston. He won there in 2004. But didn't do well in 2005 so he wanted to come back and give a better showing for the fans ;)

04-13-2006, 03:33 AM
Robby is making a "special guest appearance" at a private preview party for Paces 325 (on April 20th), which is a new high-rise condominium place in Atlanta. I'm assuming the party is for prospective residents and people who want to check it out... They're probably trying to cater to the younger crowd and attract those people to get a place there, so that it stays a "young and hip" place to live... People attending the party can meet Robby and get to know him as well as enter for a chance to win a trip to the US Open... I wish I was at the party!

I really do wish Robby would have gone to Monte Carlo though...
You know while I would have rather had Robby go to Monte Carlo it is nice that he is making a personal appearance. Everyone talks about how shy Robby is, but I don't believe he could be all that shy and still do personal appearances. And I wish I could go to the party also ;)