Becker to face McEnroe [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Becker to face McEnroe

tennischick
08-06-2002, 01:44 PM
Tennis legends John McEnroe and Boris Becker will play an exhibition match before the US Open women's final.
The winner of the best-of-three match, due to take place on 7 September, will earn $50,000 for a charity of his choice.

McEnroe, who won four US Open titles, and Becker, who won one, were scheduled to play last year only for the German to withdraw because of an ankle injury.

"I was so disappointed last year," said 34-year-old Becker. "It is time to get back on the court and show the real Boris."

McEnroe, 43, said he could not wait to take on Becker, especially after the German pulled out of last year's encounter.

"It is something I have wanted for a year. It will be a very challenging match for me," said the American.

And with a hint of mischief, he added: "I don't think it was his ankle or bad feet (last year). I think it was a case of cold feet."

Turning to Becker, he grinned and said: "Just to pump things up a little."
(i stole this from the wtaboard so i don't know the source but the poster is reliable)

Daniel
08-06-2002, 01:46 PM
Go McEnroe

:D :D :D

christinaE
08-06-2002, 08:55 PM
Hope, like last year, that it does not take place! This is no place for McEnroe to try and steal some of the limelight

GO and play it on the seniors tour where it belongs, IMO!

Leo7
08-06-2002, 09:20 PM
i just hope that Boris doesn't chicken out like he did last year. hopefully he is in form and ready to take on Johnny Mac!