Completaly Music Thread! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Completaly Music Thread!

andylover_16
12-14-2003, 11:41 PM
this thread is for those of you who like me LOVE music..possibly more than tennis...in here talk about bands, the last concerts you attented or those you are planning on attending, or even wish to attend, favorite bands/artists, inform each other of new upcoming bands, give background information on the bands we like, and even post concert pictures etc...

it shall be fun if any of you care to join:bigwave:

Havok
12-14-2003, 11:49 PM
my #1 fav is John Mayer, just finished going to one of his concerts sometime in i think September/October. and thats about it:rocker2:

andylover_16
12-15-2003, 12:31 AM
my #1 fav is John Mayer, just finished going to one of his concerts sometime in i think September/October. and thats about it:rocker2:

thanks naldo:)..very interesting..im planning on seeing starsailor the 24th of January in washington d.c next year..i cant wait:dance:..im hoping to see oasis in concert when they come out with their new cd as well:D

esther
12-15-2003, 09:30 AM
just saw Christina Aguilera in concert Friday night...was FANTASTIC...and everyone whos rolling their eyes... she is sooooo underated and should never be compared to britney or jessica or mandy EVER AGAIN. Her voice was amazing and shes so talented!!

andylover_16
12-15-2003, 03:58 PM
just saw Christina Aguilera in concert Friday night...was FANTASTIC...and everyone whos rolling their eyes... she is sooooo underated and should never be compared to britney or jessica or mandy EVER AGAIN. Her voice was amazing and shes so talented!!

Christina is okay..her songs have alot more depth than most pop stars...she is bearable for me at least...but i wouldnt go out and buy her cd or anything:unsure:

*looks over at cd she asked for two christmases ago:eek:..times have changed..lol*

esther
12-16-2003, 01:53 AM
very true about her songs having heaps more depth than most pop songs!!

does neone here like Michelle Branch? I think her along with Christina are by far the most talented pop/rock female artists there is today

andylover_16
12-16-2003, 04:04 PM
does neone here like Michelle Branch? I think her along with Christina are by far the most talented pop/rock female artists there is today

sorry but i am unable to agree with you about that statement...i personally do not like her voice and she cannot particularly perform live..but i have to give her some credit for at least being able to play the guitar..unlike some pop stars..ex. pink, dido, brittney spears, jessica simpson...etc..but no i do not like here but i respect her for going out there and doing what she wants to do not having everyone say..do this do that..and when you are the one writing your own songs..and the songs arent talking about meaningless dense and unimportant messages..than you atleast deserve respect:)..all i will say is i dont respect 50cent, nelly, or any of those who expose themselves the way that they do...and they are as well unappreciative to their fans...which is a huge turnoff in the music buisness..o well..i guess some people just dont give a fuck:shrug:

Corredian's_Mind
12-16-2003, 04:08 PM
Michelle branch is Ok for me :)

so best group ever: Coldplay :inlove:

Prophetic
12-17-2003, 12:59 AM
all i will say is i dont respect 50cent, nelly, or any of those who expose themselves the way that they do...and they are as well unappreciative to their fans...which is a huge turnoff in the music buisness..o well..i guess some people just dont give a fuck:shrug:

OK...define "unappreciative to their fans" and "expose themselves the way they do"

Nelly's a commercial rapper...no one really takes him seriously. I personally can't stand him cuz I find his lyrical content to be somewhat vapid....however I've seen enough of him to know that he appreciates his fans very much and gives back to them all the fuckin time in ways that most artists never dream of. 50 is very much the same, though his lyrics are better. No doubt you'll quote "In Da Club" at me for the 500th time as proof of how much he sucks but I find it sad if you're letting one fun party song define an artist for you. 50 Cent isn't 2pac but if you bother to listen to more than just that song shit goes deeper than you think it does.

As far as respect goes...I respect ANYONE who can make it in the industry. It takes serious hard work and effort for years on end to get anywhere. The drive and determination required to get anywhere is inconcievable to most people. Everyone on the top 40 charts has devoted years on end to the relentless pursuit of that dream. To get to the top is hard and to stay there is even harder. If you don't realize that to the point that you'll disrespect ANY artist then I feel sorry for you.

Some people don't "give a fuck" and some people are just plain ignorant, and sheltered to boot. That's the way the world works.

P.S. Dido CAN play instruments as can Pink. Just cuz they don't include it in the stage act doesn't mean that they don't know how.

Prophetic
12-17-2003, 01:01 AM
...double post

esther
12-17-2003, 11:13 AM
uhmm michelle branch can SOO sing live

joske
12-17-2003, 12:12 PM
I agree with LUCIDD, even though I don't really like the rap and r&b scene... It's all a bit *too* much for me, and jeez some artists only sing about 'smackin booty' or 'eatin pussy' or whatever.. and it doesn't take a genius to come up with lines that are about sex, drugs and violence all the time.. does it? - So just to sum up: I respect ALL artists that are able to get into the music industry, and I respect that every one has a different taste about music as well.. Can't we just ignore artists we don't like instead of telling lies about them or whatever? ..... :rolleyes:

andylover_16
12-17-2003, 04:12 PM
its just my opinion...in my statement i said myself personally...that means what i think....i understand that you are sticking up for your opinion on someone/something and that is fine because i do it all the time...and LUCIDD...in saying "unappreciative to their fans"...50cent was late to several of his concerts when he went on tour in the states&europe...and it wasnt a bit late it was hours late...and he didnt even apologize..when he was interviewed on this subject his respone was "oh yeah, well no comment"...i remember going to a spice girls concert when i was about 9or 10 and i was in love with them...i knew all their songs and i thought they were so great..they ended up showing up about 3or 4hours late...and the crowd was so upset...this made me question how much they cared about their fans...and when it happens at more than one concert...you have the right to question how much the artist/band does take it to heart...imo:)...and yes LUCIDD i dont feel that i need to respect an artist who give the media in ex. young children..exposure to girls dancing naked, or half naked, promoting violence, sex, drugs, and some things that dont even make any sense...now a days you hear small children all the time..going around and singing some rap song with vulgar words and innapropriate lyrics...and i know that rap isnt the only genre of music that exposes such things...but it is the subject we are on...what is the hidden meaning behind alot of rap stars lyrics?...and i have heard many rap artists and i listen to the lyrics..i even look them up..i dont stick to one genre...every day im searching every single genre of music to find good artists/bands...and i can honestly say i havent found very many rap/hip-hop artists i like...thats just me i guess

andylover_16
12-17-2003, 04:13 PM
uhmm michelle branch can SOO sing live

again this is my opinion..i find her voice to sound quite flat..and shes not very energetic...imo:)

Prophetic
12-17-2003, 08:16 PM
its just my opinion...in my statement i said myself personally...that means what i think....i understand that you are sticking up for your opinion on someone/something and that is fine because i do it all the time...and LUCIDD...in saying "unappreciative to their fans"...50cent was late to several of his concerts when he went on tour in the states&europe...and it wasnt a bit late it was hours late...and he didnt even apologize..when he was interviewed on this subject his respone was "oh yeah, well no comment"...i remember going to a spice girls concert when i was about 9or 10 and i was in love with them...i knew all their songs and i thought they were so great..they ended up showing up about 3or 4hours late...and the crowd was so upset...this made me question how much they cared about their fans...and when it happens at more than one concert...you have the right to question how much the artist/band does take it to heart...imo:)
Yeah...or there's a possibility that they're human and make mistakes now and then. That doesn't mean that they appreciate their fans any less...that's what gets to me. You assume to know what goes through the heads of the artists. I don't blame him for saying no comment. It doesn't matter what you say in those situations cuz the media will spin it into something horrible anyway. You don't know what caused those incidents and you probably never will so don't act like you do. Some of the bands that you've said that you like, I've seen on stage telling their fans off or worse...walking off stage before the end of a show like petulant little children because the audience wasn't "loud enough" or some other ridiculous reason. That's not me assuming, that's really the reasons they've stated. You have the right to wonder. You don't have the right to assume.

...and yes LUCIDD i dont feel that i need to respect an artist who give the media in ex. young children..exposure to girls dancing naked, or half naked, promoting violence, sex, drugs, and some things that dont even make any sense...now a days you hear small children all the time..going around and singing some rap song with vulgar words and innapropriate lyrics...and i know that rap isnt the only genre of music that exposes such things...but it is the subject we are on...what is the hidden meaning behind alot of rap stars lyrics?...and i have heard many rap artists and i listen to the lyrics..i even look them up..i dont stick to one genre...every day im searching every single genre of music to find good artists/bands...and i can honestly say i havent found very many rap/hip-hop artists i like...thats just me i guess

First off...is it the nudity you don't like or the portrayal of women as sex objects? Learn to differentiate. There's nothing wrong with the nude female form whatsoever. As for the objectification of women in the media, you're quite right when you say that rap isn't the only place that you find it. For every pain in the ass like Nelly that makes a video like "Hot In Herre" you have someone like Pac making "Dear Mama." As with any genre there are people that promote that negative image of women and people that don't and as with any genre the ones that have that empty message don't garner respect from true fans of the music.

Onward...
Promoting violence. Some losers do that but frankly they piss me off. Maybe some of the lyrics seem like they promote that shit to you but the fact is that most aren't promoting it. They aren't saying "get a gun and go shoot people cuz it's the right thing to do." Most of the artists that talk about violence in song are simply telling their life story. In the words of Eminem "You have to live it to feel it, if you didn't you wouldn't get it." I strongly suspect that quote applies to you. You haven't lived it so you don't understand how a song about driveby shootings could be anything but a promotion of the action. They're storytelling songs. Some artists write about love because it's what they know and it's the thing that gives them the most passion and inspiration to write. Rap on the other hand is almost exclusively an inner city phenomenon so the thing that empassions the artist the most from their lives are the memories of violence from their youth. I don't write a lot of love songs. Why? Frankly I'm more driven to exorcise my demons first. I'm in love right now and it's amazing and I have written about it a couple times but I'm more driven to write about my friends that have died or the bodies I've seen or what it's like to think that I'm about to die or be so angry that I want to hurt the person I'm angry with. I'm not promoting the shit at all because no one that's lived it could ever promote it. I'm simply getting my own free therapy in the form of song. For someone like me, hearing those songs where other artists talk about that life too is therapudic because it helps me to know that I'm not alone in living the way I do and it gives me hope to see them go from that to where they are now. That's what the real artists of the genre do. They inspire. Hopefully someone out there who's listening to Eminem or Tupac who hasn't lived it will know for just a few minutes what it's like to feel that pain and the ones who are living it will be able to hold on another day.

As for promoting sex....welcome to 2003. People have sex. For someone over the age of 18 who is capable of making an informed decision about that, there's nothing wrong with it and you do have to be of age to buy most of the albums. There's a parental advisory sticker for a reason. The artists do their part by including that and from there on it's up to the record stores and the parents to enforce it. If a child is raised properly then a CD isn't gonna corrupt their morals by the time they're old enough to hear it (if stores and parents DO THEIR JOBS then that should be around 14-16 but I'd lean closer to 16.) I hate this fear of sex in our society. It's not this big bad dirty thing. If you're with the right person at the right time for you then it can be the most beautiful thing in the world. We're raising our children to hate the most natural thing for a human being to do. Can you think of any other activity that you participate in that you don't have to be taught?? Does that not tell you something that it's about the only thing that comes 100% naturally to us to know how to do. The key is to raise our children in such a way that they don't fall into it too early. That has nothing to do with music. Sex is not wrong.

As for promoting drugs it's very much the same thing as promoting violence. Most artists don't set out to make the world into crack addicts. They just tell their life story and then someone like you comes along and percieves it as promotion. Occasionally you'll have a joke song about it too but those songs hardly make it sound cool. The lyrics are funny but they're not glamorous. Look past the fuuny exterior and you have a song about the consequences.

As for the little children singing the shit...like I said. Parental responsibility. It's not the fault of the artist if parents are too lazy to raise their children. If parents gave a shit enough to look into and confiscate CD's that were too old for their kids rather than buying them for Christmas then it wouldn't be such a problem.

And hidden meaning?? Damn, where to I start. Wait...I already did. The meaning is to tell a story that they lived through in order to get rid of the demons that haunt a person who grows up like that. Believe me, once you've seen what a dead human being really looks like and smells like it's not something that you soon forget. Also, to help inspire the people that are still living in such conditions to a better life. Of course there are plenty of songs with a moral to the story like "Drips." Its a joke song and talks about sex very graphically but the guy in the song winds up dying from AIDS cuz he was unprotected. "Keep Ya Head Up" is very much a female empowerment song...by a dude. "Where Is The Love" is about the condition of the world these days. The messages are there if you know how and WHERE to listen. Oh...and stop listening to top 40 rappers. Most of them don't mean shit. If you wanna find the true spirit of hip hop you'll have to go a little more underground than that. I leave you with a verse from a song.

Mothers crying foul over artistic indiscression
Congressional hearings held over a form of expression
Wanting a muzzle slapped on any artists lacking pretention
if what we're saying is that offensive it's cuz you'd rather not pay attention
You'd rather not see the harsh realities of life
You'd rather pretend that we're in a world free of all strife
It's time you woke up and faced the facts of life
People aren't sunshine and flowers, sunny and bright
We starve, hurt, bleed and in violence die
While people like you live content in a hurricane of lies
You're getting botox treatments while in squallor we lie
Well it's damn time you learned to walk a mile
Put you in my shoes to feel the rain flow through the holes in the sides
I know what's vulgar to you
Now lemme tell you what's vulgar to me
It's fucking vulgar to see you wasting money I coulda spent to eat
It's vulgar to get called names for recognizing reality
you want your point seen and yet you don't see me
If this verse offended you, maybe it was time it was seen

Havok
12-17-2003, 10:10 PM
John Mayer:rocker2:

MisterQ
12-18-2003, 04:35 AM
John Mayer:rocker2:

Hey, Naldo, I like John Mayer too. He's a talented guy.

Some songs of his are better than others, but at his best he's an excellent songwriter. And it's good music for a "mellow" day.

Deboogle!.
12-18-2003, 04:42 AM
there are so many judgements in this thread that I don't even know where to begin.

I've seen Dido live, she plays the piano and that was probably the best concert musically that I've ever seen. It was all about her and her voice/songs. No fancy set, no fancy costumes, just good lights, good singing, and a great band.

As for popstars... whatever. Christina is talented but Jessica can SANNNNNNGGGGGG her ass off and Mandy's voice is continually improving.

Every time I have ever seen Michelle Branch sing live on TV she is horribly off-key, but I like her songs...I feel like she's one of those people who should write songs but let someone else sing them. JMO

But to the point of dissing other people's music tastes... that's just not cool with me. Music is something personal and it sparks different senses and reactions in all of us. What may excite/relax/amuse/appeal to me may give someone else a headache, and vice versa. It's such a private, personal, and individual thing that I just do not see how one can question another's tastes. :shrug: just my opinion.

lizabeth..*
12-18-2003, 09:48 AM
Tina Turner was great in concert?!
Yeaaahhhh.

sam
12-18-2003, 12:03 PM
I just bought Alicia Keys' new album and It's BRILLIANT!

joske
12-19-2003, 12:16 PM
I have only 2 words: TORI AMOS **goddess**

Jag
12-23-2003, 03:19 PM
Having read Lucidd's post, I can't even remember what the original point of this thread was, but, um, LP, Evanescence etc as well as Eminem.

And Samantha, I take your silence to be acknowledgement of the truth that is so blatantly clear in Lucidd's post - she shouldn't really have needed to explain it in such detail, but hey, whatever it takes, right? And btw, Amen to what Luccid said.

joske
12-24-2003, 07:59 PM
Every time I have ever seen Michelle Branch sing live on TV she is horribly off-key, but I like her songs...I feel like she's one of those people who should write songs but let someone else sing them. JMO

But to the point of dissing other people's music tastes... that's just not cool with me. Music is something personal and it sparks different senses and reactions in all of us. What may excite/relax/amuse/appeal to me may give someone else a headache, and vice versa. It's such a private, personal, and individual thing that I just do not see how one can question another's tastes. :shrug: just my opinion.

MY IDEA EXACTLY (the thing about the dissing)

As for the Michelle Branch thing: she does have a tendency to sing off-key live, which I think is such a shame... But I'm one of those ppl that thinks that that doesn't necessarily mean that she's not a good artist. Yes, being able to sing live is a big thing, but it doesn't really write off an artist if they can't... I can still really enjoy their albums, on which of course they used all kinds of technical stuff to improve the souind and cut and stuff.. but to all people who say that the girl can't sing (not meaning you bunk, I know this is not what you meant, just to avoid misunderstandings ;) ): she CAN !! If she didn't have ANY singing ability what so ever, they wouldn't have been able to make her albums so great.. not even the most modern computer gadgets can take the sound of a dying cat and turn it into a diva singing voice.. right? :confused:

andylover_16
01-03-2004, 10:47 PM
there are so many judgements in this thread that I don't even know where to begin.

I've seen Dido live, she plays the piano and that was probably the best concert musically that I've ever seen. It was all about her and her voice/songs. No fancy set, no fancy costumes, just good lights, good singing, and a great band.

As for popstars... whatever. Christina is talented but Jessica can SANNNNNNGGGGGG her ass off and Mandy's voice is continually improving.

oh, im sorry i did not know that...its just that i have seen her perform numerous times and have never seen her play an instrument..and i agree with the michelle branch comment...her lyrics are okay but i dont like her voice...and whats the fun of it if you cant say your opinion on something...everyone can think my music sucks..but ill get over it..because in the end its not hurting anyone..and i still love my music...i dont think its a big deal to openly state that you dislike someones music or to make a comment about it...but i guess thats "just my opinion"

andylover_16
01-03-2004, 11:04 PM
You'd rather not see the harsh realities of life
You'd rather pretend that we're in a world free of all strife
It's time you woke up and faced the facts of life
People aren't sunshine and flowers, sunny and bright
We starve, hurt, bleed and in violence die
While people like you live content in a hurricane of lies
You're getting botox treatments while in squallor we lie
Well it's damn time you learned to walk a mile
Put you in my shoes to feel the rain flow through the holes in the sides
I know what's vulgar to you
Now lemme tell you what's vulgar to me
It's fucking vulgar to see you wasting money I coulda spent to eat
It's vulgar to get called names for recognizing reality
you want your point seen and yet you don't see me
If this verse offended you, maybe it was time it was seen

whats to pretend...what am i lieing about...i dont even know why im defending myself..i try to make contributions to the world..by signing up for charities and trade petitions...i dontate money and clothing to those who are less fortunate than myself...and im only 14 years old...now that might not be that much..but i try..and wow...your life might be harder than mine...but that doesnt give you the right to judge me..what are you god or something..and why do you take everything so seriously i stated an opinion on a genre of music...and you just went off on me like im an immature little brat...well i guess you dont know me either..

o yes, and no i dont think they're is anything wrong with sex...but their is a difference when it is out of lust and not love..

Prophetic
01-04-2004, 01:09 AM
whats to pretend...what am i lieing about...i dont even know why im defending myself..i try to make contributions to the world..by signing up for charities and trade petitions...i dontate money and clothing to those who are less fortunate than myself...and im only 14 years old...now that might not be that much..but i try..and wow...your life might be harder than mine...but that doesnt give you the right to judge me..what are you god or something..and why do you take everything so seriously i stated an opinion on a genre of music...and you just went off on me like im an immature little brat...well i guess you dont know me either..

o yes, and no i dont think they're is anything wrong with sex...but their is a difference when it is out of lust and not love..

You're the one that said that hip hop is without meaning....so I showed you a song that wasn't. What do your charitable contributions have to do with anything?? Nothing. You're the one that says shit to continually annoy me so congrats. The fact that you post here at ALL annoys me. I went off on you because you piss me right the fuck off. Stop pissing me off and acting like you know everything and I'll stop going off on you. Funny how standing up for myself and my music and answering the questions YOU ASKED makes me immature. My judgments of you are nothing compared to your judgment that Jag needs a new brain (yes, I'm still pissed off at you about that.) You're right. I don't know you and I don't want to. I'm fucking BLESSED to not know you. Thank God. Keep going baby, piss me off more.

andylover_16
01-04-2004, 08:33 AM
You're the one that said that hip hop is without meaning....so I showed you a song that wasn't. What do your charitable contributions have to do with anything?? Nothing. You're the one that says shit to continually annoy me so congrats. The fact that you post here at ALL annoys me. I went off on you because you piss me right the fuck off. Stop pissing me off and acting like you know everything and I'll stop going off on you. Funny how standing up for myself and my music and answering the questions YOU ASKED makes me immature. My judgments of you are nothing compared to your judgment that Jag needs a new brain (yes, I'm still pissed off at you about that.) You're right. I don't know you and I don't want to. I'm fucking BLESSED to not know you. Thank God. Keep going baby, piss me off more.

for crying out loud...this is a fucking messageboard:eek:..and i dont think i know everything and have no intentions of pissing you off...actually i dont know much at all...and yes your right i shouldnt have told jag that his brain must have been messed with..and why does it annoy you that i post on a single messageboard i enjoy:confused:..if you want to avoid me so much than just dont respond to this post...

Prophetic
01-04-2004, 09:10 PM
for crying out loud...this is a fucking messageboard:eek:..and i dont think i know everything and have no intentions of pissing you off...actually i dont know much at all...and yes your right i shouldnt have told jag that his brain must have been messed with..and why does it annoy you that i post on a single messageboard i enjoy:confused:..if you want to avoid me so much than just dont respond to this post...

The fact that it's a message board doesn't excuse your ignorance and that shit always pisses me off. Haha...you don't think you know much at all...then why the fuck are you always running your mouth about things that you don't understand? (or in this case, your keyboard) It doesn't annoy me that you post. It annoys me that you post ridiculous shit. I'm not alone in being totally annoyed by you either...you don't have many friends around here judging by the look of my PM inbox. Just because I WANT you to go away doesn't mean that I'm gonna ignore you. I can't. You're too obnoxious to be ignored.

Jag
01-07-2004, 11:02 AM
By the by Sam, Jag is a girl. I'm a girl.

Prophetic
01-07-2004, 11:42 AM
LMFAO!!

I didn't even see that at first!

Jag
01-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I was reading it and I was like, way to insult me.