Another diary- 8th December AGAIN about bball [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Another diary- 8th December AGAIN about bball

esther
12-06-2003, 12:27 AM
05 décembre 2003

Sébastien, tu es invité par Tony Parker pour assister samedi au match Miami/Spurs. Depuis que TP est arrivé en NBA, tu as suivi de près son évolution…
Oui, Tony attaque sa troisième année en NBA. Dès sa première année rookie, il a intégré le cinq de départ au bout de quelques matchs. Et cette année, il a gagné le titre. C’est vraiment génial. J’ai suivi les play-offs parce que Tony est français et que c’est un super joueur. Le voir de près, ça va être très sympa, surtout que nous n’avons jamais eu l’occasion de nous rencontrer. J’espère que je vais bien en profiter. J’adore le basket NBA, l’ambiance y est excellente.

Contrairement à ce que tu avais prévu, tu n’assisteras pas au match de ce soir contre Orlando.
J’avais envie d’y aller mais il y a plus de 3h de route. Ce n’était pas raisonnable. Ce n’est pas grave, c’est déjà très sympa que je puisse assister au match contre Miami, même si les Heat n’ont pas une super équipe en ce moment.

Comment vois-tu la saison en venir ?
San Antonio a une chance de conserver son titre. Mais pour ça, il faudra battre les Lakers. Avec Payton, Malone, O’Neal et Bryant, ils ont une sacrée équipe. Mais l’affaire Bryant peut tout changer. Il faut voir ce qui va se passer pour lui dans les mois à venir. A mon avis, c’est encore une équipe de l’Ouest qui remportera le titre. New Jersey arrivera peut-être une nouvelle fois en finale mais depuis que les Bulls de Jordan ont explosé, c’est à chaque fois la même chose, l’Ouest s’impose. C’est d’ailleurs dommage que le championnat se joue sur deux conférences. Vous imaginiez s’il y avait une finale Lakers/Spurs ? Ça serait vraiment super.

Passons au tennis et à la reprise de l’entraînement.
Tout va bien, je suis en pleine forme. Je me suis bien reposé pendant les vacances. Depuis mardi, j’ai repris l’entraînement avec Thierry (Tulasne). Je fais un tennis et un physique par jour. Ça va durer deux semaines et après, durant la troisième semaine, je ferai un peu plus de tennis que de physique.

Avec qui tapes-tu la balle ?
Je suis avec deux français qui participent à la fin de l’année à l’Orange Bowl. Et mercredi, Tsonga est arrivé. Je m’entraîne encore avec eux demain. Après, ils prennent la direction de Miami pour disputer un tournoi.

Physiquement, ce n’est pas trop dur ?
J’ai un peu souffert parce que je n’avais pas touché la raquette depuis Bercy. C’était un peu difficile au début, j’avais besoin de me remettre dans le bain. Mais maintenant, tout va bien. Ce qui est intéressant, c’est que ça faisait plusieurs années que je n’avais pas eu un mois devant moi pour me préparer. C’est très important pour la saison à venir.

esther
12-06-2003, 12:27 AM
What a weird interview...who cares about basketball?!! He's turning sooooooooo american....But he's practising with some of the juniors and ex junior Jo Jo so thats cute!!!!
Sebastien, Tony Parker invited you to go to the Miami/Spurs match. You seem to have been following Tony Parker closely since he started playing NBA?
Yeah, this is Tony’s 3rd year playing the NBA. Even since his first year as a rookie, hes been playing as part of the 5 players on the team in some matches. And this year, he won a title. It’s really good. I followed some of the play offs because Tony is French and he’s a really good player. To see him play in person, it’s really good, especially because we have never met before. I hope that I’ll enjoy it. I love NBA, it’s a really good atmosphere.

That’s different to what you first planned on doing, you won’t go to the match against Orlando tonight?
I wanted to go to that but its more than 3 hours away. I thought that was a bit much. It doesn’t matter, it’s already great that I can go to the match against Miami even if the Heat aren’t playing that great at the moment.

How do you see the upcoming season?
San Antonio has a chance to defend their title. But if they want to do that, they’re going to have to beat the Lakers. With Payton, Malone, O’Neal and Bryant, they have an excellent team. But with the Bryant issue, it could change everything. We’ll have to see how he goes in the next few months. In my opinion, I still think a team from the west will win the title. New Jersey may bring something different, but ever since the Bulls and Jordan came onto the scene, its always been a team from the west who have dominated. Can you imagine if it’s a Lakers/Spurs final? It would be really good.

So whats happening with your tennis and your return to training?
Everything’s going good…I’m in good form. I had a good rest when I was on holiday. I started training again on Tuesday with Thierry. I’m playing a bit of tennis as well as physical work every day. I’ll keep doing that for 2 weeks and then the week after that, I’ll be concentrating more on tennis than the physical work.

Who have you been hitting up with?
I’m with two frenchies who were playing in the Orange Bowl. And Wednesday, Tsonga came too. I’m training with them tomorrow. After that, Theyre off to Miami.

Physically, its not too hard?
It’s been a bit difficult because I hadn’t touched my racquet since Bercy. It was hard at the start. But now its alright. The interesting thing is that I havent had this month to be able to prepare (for next year) for the past years. It’s really important and will be good for the upcoming year.

prazz_m
12-06-2003, 03:15 AM
hahah straaaaaaaaaange man

wilma
12-06-2003, 11:54 AM
hmm, let's hope he doesn't get trampled on by basketball players twice his size!!

Marine
12-06-2003, 12:06 PM
Why is it strange ? He likes basketball, that's all. But I have to precise that his website is managed by "sportifsonline", which manages too the one of Tony Parker (and another people). Maybe the journaslit wanted to make publicity.
Another precision, Tony Parker plays in san antonio spurs, the team who is champion NBA ! Since their title, Parker is a star in France.

esther
12-06-2003, 12:07 PM
LOL!!!

esther
12-06-2003, 12:18 PM
Just heard Seb is playing in Netherlands 16th Feb

go should lizanne!

stephB
12-06-2003, 05:28 PM
oh that are great news. i´m going to see him there. hope arnaud also will play there :)

esther
12-07-2003, 01:44 AM
hopefully!!! :D

prazz_m
12-07-2003, 05:19 AM
marine i found it strange coz it's such an unusual interview....like not onlly is it not really about tennis, it's not even asking other personal questions which journos usually ask...but you've put it into perspective more with the website business

sebgrosfan
12-07-2003, 07:16 PM
Basketball .... :zzz: :rolleyes:

Marine
12-07-2003, 09:19 PM
lol...I agree.
Fortunatly soccer is more famous in Europe !
(allez Monaco !!!)

esther
12-08-2003, 10:27 AM
marine youre bbacccckkk
i thought it was weird coz i didnt know he was so into bball...thats all

ubrunjensen
12-08-2003, 03:17 PM
I've got two words: why basketball??? I'm so happy I live in Europe and don't have to pretend to be interested in basket...football's much more my style. It's a strange interview all right. Even if I'm fond of hearing more about his personal tastes and hobbies, I just can't understand how anyone can watch basket and not fall asleep! Explains the odd preference for wearing his cap back-to-front, though...

esther
12-09-2003, 02:26 AM
hahah nah ulla he started wearing his hat back to front coz he had long hair and he said it was easier to just turn his hat backwards so it didnt get in the way :rolleyes: but i was annoyed coz we saw him at AO this year and it was like 33 degrees or something and i was so tempted to yell out to him to turn his hat the right way again or u'll get burnt!!!!!!!
:( very caringi am lol its so stupid when players dont wear hats in that weather ..i'm surprised that they hardly ever get burnt?!

esther
12-09-2003, 03:13 AM
• 08 décembre 2003
Seb you went to the Spurs/Miami (Spurs won 86-70) match on Saturday with Thierry Tulasne and Guillaume Raoux. How was it?
It was a really easy match for he Spurs but it was still good. The atmosphere was really amazing. San Antonio played well and he dominated the match. I had a lot of fun because it’s been a long time since I’ve seen Miami play. It was great. At then after the match, we went to get something to eat.

Against Miami, Tony delivered 11 decisive passes and scored 10 points. In contrast to his last match against Orland, he played more for the team.
Yeah it’s true that he usually scores more. But its alright, he kept up his role as the leader to perfection. He played for the team. In my opinion, the Spurs weren’t that strong. They were leading by 10 points at quarter time. So they were dominating. But you can’t forget that they were playing at home. They play Chicago tonight, they’ve played 82 matches this season. I think that they’ll win

So in your opinion, San Antonio, along with Tim Duncan and Tony Parker, that’s the team?
Yeah, exactly. Against Miami, Duncan was a bit more discreet compared to when they played Orlando. He wasn’t on the ball as much as he could have been. But on the court, you can see that it’s Duncan and Tony who hold the team together. It’s as simple as that, they ARE the team.

After the match you went to a restaurant?
The four of us went to a French restaurant, called ‘Le Bouchon’. It was an excellent evening…Frankly, Tony is a really nice guy. It’s nice to have such success at only 21 years of ago. He doesn’t have a big head, he’s really down to earth. Tony’s hotel was just three minutes away so we left after dinner.

When a tennis player and a basketballer are on a table together, what do they talk about?
We talked about INSEP because there were tennis players with him like Nicolas Mahut. They knew each other pretty well. Despite everything that’s happened to him, he is still really modest. He knows where he comes from, he doesn’t forget how he’s gotten to where he is today. He’s just a really good guy. I also asked him quite a few questions. Like I wanted to know what’s it like to live a life in the NBA world because ten minutes after the match, he was with us all dressed up and ready to leave. I was surprised that he didn’t take longer. The funny thing was that the players don’t spend the night together. They’re a team, but they are free to do what they like. They get together again during training and the matches, that’s all. (hinting something about DC Seb? ;) ) Tony has been doing this for 3 years and his career is far from over.

Have you planned to see them again?
Tony told me that he would come to Roland Garros if the Spurs lose in the play offs. So…I hope that he doesnt get to come! (laughs). It’s kind of complicated because the NBA season is very long. Like I’m always traveling around but its not the same. I thanked him again for the evening, it was really good.

esther
12-09-2003, 03:13 AM
08 décembre 2003

Sébastien, avec Thierry Tulasne et Guillaume Raoux, tu as assisté samedi à la victoire des Spurs face à Miami (86-70). Qu’as-tu pensé de la rencontre ?
C’était assez facile pour les Spurs mais c’était très sympa. L’ambiance était très bonne, bien que la salle ne soit pas pleine. San Antonio a bien joué, ils ont dominé toute la rencontre. J’ai pris énormément de plaisir parce que ça faisait longtemps que je n’avais pas vu un match à Miami. C’était vraiment super. Et puis après la rencontre, nous sommes allés manger dehors.
Contre Miami, Tony a délivré 11 passes décisives et marqué 10 points. A l’image de son match de la veille face à Orlando, Tony a joué pour le collectif.
C’est vrai que normalement, il marque un peu plus de paniers. Mais c’est bien, il a tenu son rôle de meneur à la perfection. Il a joué pour l’équipe. A mon avis, les Spurs n’ont pas trop forcé. Ils avaient déjà 10 points d’avance à la fin du premier quart-temps. Ils ont donc géré le match. Il ne faut pas non plus oublier qu’ils ont un rythme assez soutenu. Ils jouent ce soir à Chicago, ils disputent 82 matchs dans la saison. Je pense qu’ils en ont gardé sous le pied face à Miami.
Pour toi, San Antonio, c’est l’équipe de Tim Duncan et Tony Parker ?
Tout à fait. Contre Miami, Duncan a été un peu plus discret que la veille face à Orlando (47 points). Il était moins dans le coup. Mais sur le terrain, on voit vraiment que c’est Duncan et Tony qui tiennent l’équipe. C’est simple, tout passe par eux.
Après la rencontre, vous êtes donc allés manger au restaurant.
Nous sommes partis tous les quatre au restaurant français « Le Bouchon ». La soirée était excellente. Franchement, Tony est un mec super sympa. C’est beau d’avoir une telle réussite à seulement 21 ans. Il ne se prend pas la tête, il est resté très simple. Comme l’hôtel de Tony était à trois minutes du restaurant, nous l’avons déposé après.
Quand un tennisman et un basketteur sont à la même table, de quoi parlent-ils ?
On a parlé de son passage à l’INSEP parce qu’il y avait des joueurs de tennis avec lui, dont Nicolas Mahut. Ils se connaissaient assez bien. Malgré tout ce qui lui arrive, il n’a pas pris la grosse tête. Il sait d’où il vient, il ne l’a pas oublié. C’est vraiment quelqu’un de bien. Je lui ai aussi posé pas mal de questions. Je voulais par exemple savoir comment se passait la vie en NBA parce que dix minutes après la rencontre, il était avec nous, habillé, près à partir. J’étais surpris qu’il ne se fasse pas masser. Et ce qui est marrant, c’est que les joueurs ne passent pas la soirée ensemble. C’est une équipe mais ils sont libres de faire ce qu’ils veulent. Ils se retrouvent pour les entraînements et les matchs, c’est tout. En tout cas, Tony a connu un sacré parcours depuis trois ans. Et ce n’est pas fini…
Avez-vous prévu de vous revoir ?
Tony m’a dit qu’il viendrait à Roland-Garros si les Spurs se faisaient éliminer pendant les play-offs. J’espère donc ne pas le voir. (Rires) C’est compliqué parce que la saison NBA est très longue. Comme je suis moi-même tout le temps en déplacement, ce n’est vraiment pas évident. Je tenais en tout cas à le remercier une nouvelle fois pour cette soirée, c’était vraiment super.

prazz_m
12-09-2003, 04:32 AM
another basketball one?!

esther
12-09-2003, 09:35 AM
mmhmm

Alison
12-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Come on Esther,translate it for us!Please! :) I mean,it's not as if you've anything else to do;except sit around in the sun,eating ice-cream,and lazing around at the pool ;)

When do you get your exam results by the way?

esther
12-09-2003, 10:58 AM
LOL I did translate it?! its above the french version

esther
12-09-2003, 10:59 AM
And i got my exam results...the first day of Davis Cup!

Alison
12-09-2003, 01:43 PM
How was I supposed to know that,I couldn't read it,it was in French ;)

ubrunjensen
12-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Why's he so fascinated by basketball? One can only wonder...thought he preferred OM and football.

michelleg
12-09-2003, 05:44 PM
A very American thing for sure. Its a national obsession. College ball, pro ball.... (insert foot- or basket- in front of ball.)

In fact, I am having a party centered around a college football game come January 1, as my alma mater is in a "Bowl" game. Imagine that :)

esther
12-11-2003, 09:00 AM
i mean i think if youre living in a country youre BOUND to be influenced by the country's obsessioned (yes..its so a word) sport...i mean if you live in Australia itd be hard to escape from Australian football ...how i miss it :(

esther
12-11-2003, 09:01 AM
but yes its still weird coz its the first time we've heard him talk about basketball and i wouldnt have picked him to be much of a bball fan...he's too short to play neway isnt he?!

prazz_m
12-11-2003, 09:15 AM
lol esther....when you say he's too short to play bball it reminds me of the story you were telling about michael jordan which you thought was about seb!!! hahaha

esther
12-11-2003, 09:37 AM
LOL yeah!! i remember that assembly...what the most INTERESTING assembly ever because i thought they were talking about seb :inlove:

explanation: I was in assembly one day...and someone was talking about this *mystery person* who was too short to play this certain sport...and it was like this motivation story about how he woke up every morning at 5am to practise and prove these people wrong etc and at the end they were like...and do you knwo WHO this person was?? and in my head i was like SEB SEB!!! then they go Michael Jordan :sad:

Alison
12-12-2003, 08:58 AM
Hey at least you didn't say it out loud :eek: :lol:

esther
12-13-2003, 10:00 AM
lol, luckily!!