INDIAN WELLS: Cheering Marcos to his first ATP tournament as a seeded player!!!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

INDIAN WELLS: Cheering Marcos to his first ATP tournament as a seeded player!!!!!

LostGlory
03-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Pame Marcos............:bounce:

Ooops I just saw Iza's thread.....but I would love to keep this one....I hope it is ok with everyone.....

Choupi
03-10-2006, 07:20 AM
I don't know if it's ok for everyone else, but it is for me. :) Our guy deserves to have a separate thread for every event he takes part. My opinion.

Allez Marcos!! :bounce:

christos
03-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Μe too.
Today is the match of Bjorkman and Rochus, opponent of Marcos

kindablue
03-11-2006, 06:34 AM
It looks like Jonas Bjorkman is going to be his first opponent.
Go Marcos!!!

Choupi
03-11-2006, 08:20 AM
So it's gonna be Jonas. Allez Marcos. :bounce:

Iza
03-11-2006, 08:31 AM
He plays doubles with Volandri and they 1st play against WCs Gimelstob/Huss. Pameeeee :woohoo: !

linus
03-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Marcos, show you better :)

Smasher
03-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Pame Marcos! :rocker2:

christos
03-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Marcos is playing today vs Bjorkman.It's fifth match on court 3.

athina7
03-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Marco is playing later today. Very exciting, I hope he wins!
Kali epityxia Marko!!! :D

kindablue
03-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Marcos match is about to start.Go Marcos!!!!
Where is everybody? Not asleep i hope.Let's liven up this thread.

kindablue
03-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Marcos breaks after 3rd attempt *2-0

kindablue
03-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Marcos 3-0*

TenHound
03-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Anybody getting to see the match? Should be fun, w/Bjorkman being a SVer (& a decent chap). Local press urged everyone to go to the outside court to watch the match!

TenHound
03-12-2006, 11:44 PM
He closed it out on his First Match Point! Isn't this his first Master's & his first Master's Victory, or have I missed some?

-sOfia-
03-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Marcos. :banana: 6-4 6-3.

-sOfia-
03-13-2006, 01:12 AM
http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/1619/200603130157032277rb135pacific.jpg

athina7
03-13-2006, 01:58 AM
Good job Marco :yeah:
Good luck in the next round! He plays the winner of Gaudio-Saulnier next.

03-13-2006, 01:59 AM
Well done Marcos :) Now on to the next Round. Pame Marcos ;)

athina7
03-13-2006, 02:02 AM
He will face Gaudio in the next round.
Good luck!!! :)

03-13-2006, 02:04 AM
I don't know if it's ok for everyone else, but it is for me. :) Our guy deserves to have a separate thread for every event he takes part. My opinion.

Allez Marcos!! :bounce:
I agree especially for a player whose Forum is not that old.
More threads makes the Forum look big and busy ;)

Action Jackson
03-13-2006, 04:11 AM
Hopefully both Marcos and Gaudio can play to their abilities and produce some entertaining tennis as they both can. Marcos is the favourite in this match for sure and just hope these clowns can put a good match like this on a decent court.

LostGlory
03-13-2006, 06:31 AM
great win for Marcos I have a great feeling about this tourney.....lets see how things go.....Pame Marcos...:yeah:

One Down.....

5 MORE TO GO .....

LostGlory
03-13-2006, 06:45 AM
Hopefully both Marcos and Gaudio can play to their abilities and produce some entertaining tennis as they both can. Marcos is the favourite in this match for sure and just hope these clowns can put a good match like this on a decent court.

What do you mean???

athina7
03-13-2006, 07:01 AM
What do you mean???
He means that hopefully the tournament directors will have this match played on a good court, like stadium court or something.
I hope so too. Maybe we can get it on TV too, that would be great, although I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing. Should be a good match.

christos
03-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Good Luck Marcos !!!

Action Jackson
03-13-2006, 10:45 AM
He means that hopefully the tournament directors will have this match played on a good court, like stadium court or something.
I hope so too. Maybe we can get it on TV too, that would be great, although I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing. Should be a good match.

That's exactly what I mean and just hope these idiots can open their eyes and put a good match like this on a show court, but I definitely don't have any high hopes for that.

Godiva
03-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Keep it going Marcos.

Iza
03-13-2006, 12:15 PM
:woohoo: Yay :D
I don't think silly Telesport will show his match with Gaston tho :(
But I hope your feelings are good LostGlory :kiss:
Pame Marcos :banana: !

LostGlory
03-13-2006, 12:26 PM
That's exactly what I mean and just hope these idiots can open their eyes and put a good match like this on a show court, but I definitely don't have any high hopes for that.

I actually got what u meant about the court, I was wondering what u meant by playing to the best of their abilities.....I believe that Marcos's best on this kind of court is better than Gaston's best....

Iza
03-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Marcos and Pippo won the 1st set 6-2 but in the 2nd set Gimelstob and Huss lead 4-1 :( Pame boys :bounce:

Iza
03-13-2006, 09:04 PM
oh well...they lost 6-2 1-6 4-10 :sad:
Better luck in the singles Marcos :yeah:

athina7
03-14-2006, 04:21 AM
Marcos is up first tomorrow on stadium court 1!

Stadium 1 start 11:00 AM
(7)G Gaudio (ARG) vs (25)M Baghdatis (CYP)
Not before 1:00 PM
(19)M Hingis (SUI) vs (2)L Davenport (USA)
(1)R Federer (SUI) vs (30)O Rochus (BEL)
(21)S Peer (ISR) vs (3)M Sharapova (RUS)
Not before 7:00 PM
(1)J Henin-Hardenne (BEL) vs A Sugiyama (JPN)
Not before 8:30 PM
(WC)M Fish (USA) vs (2)R Nadal (ESP)

LostGlory
03-14-2006, 06:14 AM
Oh wow what a schedule on that stadium makes you wish you had tickets for the whole day....

Pame Marcos......you can win this one....

03-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Yes Pame Marcos :) Let's win this Match today ;)

03-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Alright Marcos :) He defeated Gaudio 6-7(5), 6-3, and 6-2 :worship: He seems to be regaining the form that he had at the AO! Pame Marcos ;)

LostGlory
03-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Well done Marcos....

2 Down , 4 more to go....Pame Marcos....

-sOfia-
03-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Marcos. :banana:

athina7
03-14-2006, 10:54 PM
Good job Marco:yeah:
I actually got to see some of the third set on TV. He was looking good. I was hoping for a Hewitt-Baghdatis 4th round, but Hewitt blew it. So next up is Berdych.

Action Jackson
03-15-2006, 05:38 AM
Marcos was the favourite in this match and inspite of losing the 1st set and he wasn't frustrated and once Gaudio kept with the negative thoughts. Marcos saw the opportunity and took it very well

He stepped up his level of play and constructed some excellent points and he is someone who doesn't always play that well at the start of tournaments and Berdych will be a different challenge, but an interesting one.

Choupi
03-15-2006, 06:41 AM
Good job Marcos. Good luck for the next match. Hope I get to see it. :)

landoud
03-15-2006, 07:40 AM
good luck marcos next round

Clara Bow
03-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Here is his post match interview.

INTERVIEWS March 14, 2006
An interview with: MARCOS BAGHDATIS
FastScripts by ASAP Sports

M.BAGHDATIS/G. Gaudio : 6-7, 6-3, 6-2

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Marcos.

Q. Do you consider that a good win out there today?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: A great win. It was tough out there. Gaudio was playing great tennis, so it was tough. I fought for it. Second and third set, I started playing better in important points. I think that's what made the difference.

Q. Is this as good as you felt since Australia?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Not as good. But, I mean, is a great victory. You cannot play every day your best tennis. The most important thing is that I found the solution to win. I'm very happy about that.

Q. At the end, he looked demoralized. Do you think you really closed him out?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: I don't know. You have to ask him.
I played my tennis. That's all. I mean, I played good. In the last two sets, I played solid tennis. I'm very happy.

Q. How much has your life changed since Australia?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Oh, a lot. I mean, I'm more famous. When you're famous, your life changes (smiling).

Q. How has that been to deal with so far?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Okay, because I have a great team around me that helps me deal with it okay. For the moment, everything going well.

Q. Have you changed at all? Do you feel different?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Feel different, no. I don't think I'll change because, like I said, I have a great team around me that keeps me who I am, just makes me shut up if I go with a big head (smiling).
I don't feel like I change.

Q. How about changing on the court?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: On the court, no, no.

Q. Confidence?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: A bit of confidence, but I had confidence even before. I mean, you cannot go to a final without confidence, of a Grand Slam. I think the confidence I had before in me.

Q. Before when you played as the underdog, there were no real expectations. Now because you've reached a Grand Slam, people are looking at you with expectations.
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: They're waiting something from me. I feel that.

Q. Does that put pressure on you?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Yeah, it's more pressure. But for the moment, I deal with it okay. Like I said, I mean, it's just the whole team thing. My team around me, they help me for everything. They help me to keep the same, to go to the matches the same way and keep my routines, my old routines.
So really I don't feel so much the pressure.

Q. Sitting with your coach, I notice there's a huge relationship between you. You look at him and you seem to really feed off him and the crowd.
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Yeah, he helps me a lot. It's really nice to have somebody that you feel like best friend or a brother to you, that gives you so much confidence and so much will to win every point and be there every time, not to give up.
He's a great fighter, so I respect him a lot. He's a bit not my idol, but he's somebody that I respect a lot. So sometimes I play for him. To win a match, sometimes I do it for him. It helps me a lot.

Q. Your parents didn't come to watch you in Australia. Will they come?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: I don't know. I don't think so, no.

Q. When you talk about your team, who is in your team?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: My coach, girlfriend, parents, the academy, my manager. Big team (smiling).

Q. Can you tell us how you prepared for this tournament, how much rest you've had since Australia?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: After Australia, I mean, I played in Marseille. I was a bit tired. I had pain a bit on the ankle. I lost to Mario. I went to Rotterdam. I got injured there. I said that's enough, maybe I have to stop. That's what I did.
I took like four or five days off, then I start practicing physically. Had a week and a half for physical, then I came here one week before or five days before. I played some practice matches. That's how I prepared. Nothing special.

Q. What was the injury?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Just the groin, ischio.

Q. Do you feel more famous now, more recognizable?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Yeah.

Q. Is that more fun than being overlooked a bit?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: No. Sometimes you don't have your personal life, so sometimes is not so much fun. But that's life. I mean, I will not start crying about it.

Q. Do you play Berdych next?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Yes.

Q. Have you played him before?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: I don't think so. I don't remember. Maybe in Juniors, but I don't know. I don't think so.

Q. He's the same age as you, isn't he?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Yes.

Q. Are you looking forward to that match?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Of course, like every match.

Choupi
03-15-2006, 10:52 AM
I have already posted that interview in the News thread. :)

athina7
03-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Marcos is first up on stadium 2. His match starts in about half an hour. Good luck :)

Stadium 2 start 11:00 AM
(25)M Baghdatis (CYP) vs (23)T Berdych (CZE)
D Nalbandian (ARG) vs P Srichaphan (THA)
P Mathieu (FRA) or M Ancic (CRO) vs I Ljubicic (CRO)
J Nieminen (FIN) vs M Safin (RUS)
(1)Bryan/Bryan vs Berdych/Levinsky
Gasquet/Grosjean vs Nadal/Youzhny

Smasher
03-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Pame Marcos! :woohoo:

-sOfia-
03-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Marcos. :banana:

03-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Yet another victory for Marcos :) He is really doing well in this Tournament ;)

oLn
03-15-2006, 10:38 PM
yeah he is doing great in this tournament...
i think if marcos plays as he can... he can beat nadal ! (probably he will play vs nadal in next round)

belco
03-15-2006, 11:21 PM
good luck marcos

athina7
03-16-2006, 05:19 AM
Great match by Marcos:yeah: How exciting, he's doing great! He's not playing tomorrow, so he'll have a day to rest :)

Action Jackson
03-16-2006, 06:03 AM
Excellent performance and it was brains over brawn in his match with Berdych. Now, he plays Nadal and the contrast in styles for sure will be intruiging to watch.

Whatever else happens from here, it has been a good tournament and just happy to see him on court.

bad gambler
03-16-2006, 06:15 AM
Excellent performance and it was brains over brawn in his match with Berdych.

Summed it up to a tee - Berdman didn't do himself justice today but nothing can be taken away from baggy, really impressed with his play.

Choupi
03-16-2006, 06:56 AM
Great result Marcos. Still haven't been able to see any of his matches. The Nadal confrontation is more than interesting. I'm looking forward to this match. If by chance I get to see it...but whatever happens, I'm already satisfied with the way Marcos performed in this IW so far. :) Good luck!!

landoud
03-16-2006, 07:17 AM
woooooow.... I hope he beats Rafa

napki
03-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Haha, maybe he will! I'd love to see that. :) Good luck!

LostGlory
03-16-2006, 07:48 AM
I have a very good feeling about his chances against Rafa....just knowing the person he is he loves a great challange....he will try his best and he will not give up easily....I hope he wiins and when he does or if he does I will fancy his chances to win the whole thing....even if Roger was on the other side....

christos
03-16-2006, 08:04 AM
Great for Marcos.
Let's see now against Rafa!
Another big win ??

Action Jackson
03-16-2006, 08:12 AM
Summed it up to a tee - Berdman didn't do himself justice today but nothing can be taken away from baggy, really impressed with his play.

I will have to watch it again, as I am getting another video and over Easter I will be making a lot of copies.

It's like I said yesterday, both of these guys are very gifted in different ways and they had never played each other. Behind the cheery demeanour, there is a very clever player there and it just took some people a lot longer to see it.

Unlike some people I don't have any over the top predictions, it's easier this way and as for Nadal. It presents a different challenge and one he won't back off from, as for whether he gets the W or L, it's not relevant. Whatever happens, will happen.

denisgiann
03-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Markos has more chances that people give him credit against Nadal.I wont be easy for either of them.But my heart cheers for Markos.Lets do it baby. :bounce:

belco
03-16-2006, 01:46 PM
good luck marcos :D

Iza
03-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Pame :yeah: ! He needs a bit of good luck against Rafa :scared:

athina7
03-17-2006, 03:59 AM
Marcos is the night match tomorrow. I'll get it on TV! What an exciting match! Good luck Marco :)

Stadium 1 start 11:00 AM
(3)M Sharapova (RUS) vs (19)M Hingis (SUI)
Not before 12:30 PM
J Blake (USA) vs I Andreev (RUS)
Not before 2:00 PM
(1)J Henin-Hardenne (BEL) or (17)G Dulko (ARG) vs E Dementieva (RUS)
(1)Bryan/Bryan vs Aspelin/Perry
Not before 7:00 PM
(25)M Baghdatis (CYP) vs (2)R Nadal (ESP)
(1)Raymond/Stosur vs Benesova/Strycova

christos
03-17-2006, 09:25 AM
We have to stay awake it's 5am in Greece!!

Choupi
03-17-2006, 11:30 AM
It's gonna be 4am for me. But no live coverage at that time. All I can hope is for a replay in the morning...

kindablue
03-17-2006, 04:13 PM
I,m upset with the media in Cyprus especially Cybc.After A.O. they promised us Marcos games on Tv.From Indian Wells zilch.They don't even
announce who he 'll be playing against but still next morning on the news the 'll say something like another triumph from Baghdatis! I suppose
if he had lost by now we would have heard absolutely nothing.And what about the press? A month ago he was everybody's hero and now nobody even wants to contact him? I feel a bit bitter so i thaught this was a good place to get it out of my system.Anyway,
just scoreboard for me this morning 5 a.m.but i would't miss it
for anything.No live feed either.I 've got ADSL at work but not
at home.Still, good luck to Marcos.We 'll pray for him.

athina7
03-17-2006, 05:35 PM
We have to stay awake it's 5am in Greece!!
Are they showing it on Greek TV? I'm in the States now for university, but they never really showed tennis on TV in Greece. Oh, OK, on Supersport probably. I think they have coverage of IW.

athina7
03-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Hey guys, for anyone with a good enough internet connection, Star Sports is showing the match live. Go to this thread and there are several links.http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=72326
It doesn't always work well but I was watching the Federer-Rochus match the other day and quality was very good.

PamposCypriot
03-17-2006, 08:14 PM
6 hours left... Go Baggy Go, Baggy be good :)

athina7
03-18-2006, 01:38 AM
I can't wait for the match to start. I've been looking forward to it all day.

ΚΑΛΗ ΕΠΙΤΥΧΙΑ ΜΑΡΚΟ!!! :)

Flibbertigibbet
03-18-2006, 04:09 AM
Nadal wins 7-5, 6-0. :sad:

Oh well, that's life. On to Miami.

03-18-2006, 04:41 AM
My :hatoff: to Marcos :) He really played Rafa well for the 1st Set. But I'm afraid this is what Rafa did to him in the 2nd Set :smash: Rafa beat Marcos down and worn him out with his hard hitting. But Marcos was playing the #2 Ranked player in the world so he has nothing to be a shamed of. This has been a very good Tournament for Marcos ;)

athina7
03-18-2006, 04:46 AM
Nadal played great, but what a disappointing second set by Marcos. Very bad 2nd set. I think he had a let down after loosing the first set like that, and was completely out of it in the 2nd. Oh well, he still had a pretty good tournament. Let's hope he can do well in Miami too.

kindablue
03-18-2006, 06:30 AM
Nadal played great, but what a disappointing second set by Marcos. Very bad 2nd set. I think he had a let down after loosing the first set like that, and was completely out of it in the 2nd. Oh well, he still had a pretty good tournament. Let's hope he can do well in Miami too.

I agree with you but my personal opinion is that the windy conditions suited Nadal's game because of his strengh.We'll
have to wait and see what Marcos has to say about this.

landoud
03-18-2006, 06:47 AM
hard luck Marcos.... wish u luck in Maiami

Choupi
03-18-2006, 07:51 AM
Haven't seen the match, because no live coverage at night. We're to get a replay in some hours. But thanks anyway for all your reviews so far. :)

It's been a great tournament for Marcos. Now, on to Miami.

Action Jackson
03-18-2006, 07:57 AM
QFs in his 1st TMS event is an excellent achievement and I don't have the inclination to jump off a bridge cause he lost the last set 6-0.

Now onward to Miami.

Iza
03-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Yay Marcos :woohoo: Nice tournament here :yeah: had some tough opponents, and Rafa proved to be too tough :awww: Vamos a Miami :bounce: !

athina7
03-18-2006, 05:51 PM
QFs in his 1st TMS event is an excellent achievement and I don't have the inclination to jump off a bridge cause he lost the last set 6-0.
Agreed. It's been a great tournament and a great year so far, there's no question about it. The only disappointing thing about his loss last night was that he really played poorly in the second set. However, it happens to everyone from time to time and it's not the end of the world. Plus, it was great to see that even when he was 5-0 down, he didn't give up (that game took forever) and what a great attitude he has. You've gotta love his attitude. Hopefully, he'll do well in Miami too. :)

Action Jackson
03-19-2006, 04:34 AM
Agreed. It's been a great tournament and a great year so far, there's no question about it. The only disappointing thing about his loss last night was that he really played poorly in the second set. However, it happens to everyone from time to time and it's not the end of the world. Plus, it was great to see that even when he was 5-0 down, he didn't give up (that game took forever) and what a great attitude he has. You've gotta love his attitude. Hopefully, he'll do well in Miami too. :)

Everyone plays poorly now and then and it's not like he has been overplaying since the AO. He has nothing to defend at all until the second half of the year, so in this context everything is good.

There is still a lot to work with, but he has an instinct that can't be taught and thanks for that.

athina7
03-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Here is Marco's interview after his match with Nadal :)

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Marcos, please.

Q. What seemed to happen towards the end of the first set? What turned it around?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: First set, I mean, we both played great tennis. I got broken at 3-All, I think. Was 3-All or 3-2? I don't remember. I got broken being 40-15 up, made some not mistakes, but didn't finish it off, so that paid. Then I got broken again at 6-5, 30-Love up.
Nadal got confident in the second set. He wasn't missing a ball. He was playing great tennis. Too good for me today. That's it.

Q. If you had to say there's a major difference between his play and your play, what is his strengths versus your strengths?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: I don't know. I don't really know. It's the first time I play against him. It was a good lesson for me to see how he plays and stuff. He has a great forehand, great backhand. He has every shot. He's a great athlete.
I mean, physically he's amazing. It was a good lesson for me today. I think I know what to work on now more. Not work on more but, I mean, I saw how he's playing, I know now his game, so next time I play him I will have maybe a tactic to play against him. That's all. That's a good experience for me today.
I didn't play so bad. Like I said, he was too good for me today.

Q. Do you have any words for your Greek fans?
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Any words for my Greek fans? Thanks for coming. I mean, I'll keep fighting for my country. We have an important Davis Cup match in two weeks. I'll be there. I hope they will be there. I heard a lot of them are coming. I want to tell them that I'll do everything for my country to go up.

LostGlory
03-22-2006, 07:21 AM
An amazing guy....I love his atitude....WTG MARCOS....keep working and you will be world number one hopefully....