Andy's 2004 Schedule.....ish. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy's 2004 Schedule.....ish.

Deboogle!.
12-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Andy's site has updated with a 2004 schedule... but, it's a little odd.... like multiple tournaments some weeks and it's got some wrong surfaces (unless TMS Madrid is now grass :p)

But, what's news is that Andy's playing Doha which would be huge for him rankings points-wise if he did well there. And it looks like he'll be doing a few others for the first time (Scottsdale :woohoo:, etc)

Anyway, my guess is that the ones for the early part of the year are probably correct and then the ones at the end of the year are still up in the air and that's why multiple ones are there? I mean obviously he can't be in Romania and China at the same time and I feel like he wouldn't even play that week (the week RIGHT AFTER the USO) if the US made it to the DC semis. The best of all is 3 tourneys the week of 10/11 lol.

http://www.andyroddick.com/views/schedule.asp
1/5/2004
Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2004
IS
Doha, Qatar
hard

1/19/2004
Australian Open
GS
Melbourne, Australia
hard

2/10/2004
Siebel Open
IS
San Jose, California
hard

2/16/2004
Kroger St. Jude
IS
Memphis, Tennessee
hard

3/1/2004
Arizona Men's Tennis Championships
IS
Scottsdale, Arizona
hard

3/8/2004
Pacific Life Open
TMS
Indian Wells, California
hard

3/22/2004
NASDAQ-100 OPEN
TMS
Miami, FL
hard

4/12/2004
U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships
IS
Houston, Texas
clay

4/19/2004
Monte Carlo -TMS
TMS
Monte Carlo, Monaco
clay

5/3/2004
Rome - TMS
TMS
Rome, Italy
clay

5/10/2004
Hamburg - TMS
TMS
Hamburg, Germany
clay

5/24/2004
Roland Garros
GS
Paris, France
clay

6/7/2004
The Stella Artois Championships
IS
London, England
grass

6/21/2004
Wimbledon– The Lawn Tennis Championship
GS
London, England
grass

7/19/2004
RCA Championships
IS
Indianapolis, Indiana
hard

7/26/2004
Tennis Masters Canada
TMS
Toronto, Canada
hard

8/2/2004
Western & Southern Financial Group Masters
TMS
Cincinnati, Ohio
hard

8/9/2004
Olympics
WT
Athens, Greece
hard

8/30/2004
US Open Tennis Championships
GS
Flushing Meadows, New York
hard

9/13/2004
International Tennis Championships
IS
Delray Beach, Florida
hard

9/13/2004
BCR Open Romania
IS
Bucharest, Romania
clay

9/13/2004
Beijing
IS
Beijing, China
hard

9/22/2004
Thailand Open
IS
Bangkok, Thailand
carpet

9/27/2004
Campionati Internazional Di Sicilia
IS
Palermo, Italy
clay

9/27/2004
Heineken Open Shanghai
IS
Shanghai, China
hard

10/4/2004
AIG Japan Open Tennis Championships
IS
Tokyo, Japan
hard

10/4/2004
Grand Prix de Tennis de Lyon
IS
Lyon, France
carpet

10/11/2004
CA Tennis Trophy
IS
Vienna, Austria
hard

10/11/2004
Open de Moselle
IS
Metz, France
hard

10/11/2004
Kremlin Cup
IS
Moscow, Russia
carpet

10/18/2004
Tennis Masters Madrid
TMS
Madrid, Spain
grass

10/25/2004
Davidoff Swiss Indoors
IS
Basel, Switzerland
carpet

11/1/2004
BNP Paribas Masters
TMS
Paris, France
carpet

11/8/2004
Tennis Masters Cup
TMS
Houston, Texas
hard

J. Corwin
12-05-2003, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the preliminary schedule. :)

I heard that he was gonna be playing Scottsdale awhile ago, but it's nice to see it "confirmed" now.
I see him playing Memphis again which is cool, but it looks like he's not up for Legg Mason next year.

Deboogle!.
12-05-2003, 05:07 AM
Yea..... Scottsdale... he BETTER be there. ;)

as for Legg Mason.... the summer schedule had to change a little to make room for the OLYMPICS! :woohoo:

In fact, DC is like the same week as the Olympics. Yep, the tennis part of the Olympics is August 15-22 and Legg Mason is Aug 16-22 so it's 100% overlap

J. Corwin
12-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Ooo..interesting. Hopefully he has the Olympics in mind.

Deboogle!.
12-05-2003, 05:29 AM
good lord I should hope so. By August he better have gotten over the problems of playing in Europe. The conditions (court, ball, and similar weather) are identical to the USO so he should do REALLY WELL there.

J. Corwin
12-05-2003, 06:36 AM
So where's the Olympics gonna be held again? lol. I forgot.

Prophetic
12-05-2003, 07:39 AM
aren't the olympics in athens this time?

J. Corwin
12-05-2003, 07:48 AM
ahhh. yea they are. thanks hun:D

Jag
12-05-2003, 08:44 AM
*doesn't care about the others as long as he comes to England* lol *is self centred* hehe but yay!

J. Corwin
12-05-2003, 09:40 AM
May he win the big one in your country. ;):D

heya
12-05-2003, 09:59 AM
Not sure if Olympics give points

9/13/2004 which one?
Delray Beach?
BCR Open Romania?
Beijing?

1/5/2004
Qatar ExxonMobil Open 2004
- Cool (Why don't the haters call this another MICKEY MOUSE event? HAAA)

3/1/2004
Arizona Men's Tennis Championships
IS
Scottsdale, Arizona
hard ABOUT TIME!

3/8/2004
Pacific Life Open
TMS
Indian Wells, California
hard Hopefully, healthy and VICTORIOUS this time

3/22/2004
NASDAQ-100 OPEN
TMS
Miami, FL
hard BATTLE BACK AGAIN

4/12/2004
U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships
IS
Houston, Texas
clay REVENGE!

4/19/2004
Monte Carlo -TMS
TMS
Monte Carlo, Monaco
clay Build confidence again

5/3/2004
Rome - TMS
TMS
Rome, Italy
clay Did well before, BOUNCING BACK

5/10/2004
Hamburg - TMS
TMS
Hamburg, Germany
clay COMEBACK TIME!

5/24/2004
Roland Garros
GS
Paris, France
clay
Sharpen Andy's bull horns!
The present and future Andy is here to stay.

6/7/2004
The Stella Artois Championships
IS
London, England
grass Where the grass big boys play, right?

6/21/2004
Wimbledon– The Lawn Tennis Championship
GS
London, England
grass REVENGE TIME...#1 is on the line

9/22/2004
Thailand Open
IS
Bangkok, Thailand Finally, playing with Paradorn!
carpet

9/27/2004
Campionati Internazional Di Sicilia
IS
Palermo, Italy Great!
clay

9/27/2004
Heineken Open Shanghai
IS
Shanghai, China They better not fine him. LMAO
hard

10/4/2004
AIG Japan Open Tennis Championships
IS
Tokyo, Japan
hard The ground shouldn't shake this time!

10/4/2004
Grand Prix de Tennis de Lyon
IS
Lyon, France
carpet

He'll do well here...it just seems like he doesn't because we expect a lot, but he needs experience and training

10/11/2004
CA Tennis Trophy
IS
Vienna, Austria
hard
Not necessary, but a new champion from the USA is required MUHAHA

10/11/2004
Open de Moselle
IS
Metz, France
hard Great chance to win here

10/11/2004
Kremlin Cup
IS
Moscow, Russia
carpet Awesome to win, could raise his ranking

J. Corwin
12-05-2003, 10:06 AM
interesting commentary there, heya lol

star
12-05-2003, 01:24 PM
Thanks Bunk. Yeah. I think that fall schedule is dodgy. He's double and triple booked all the way through. :)

AND...... you better get your but over to Westside in April!! Red clay and Andy. It doesn't get better than that. :)

Havok
12-05-2003, 01:59 PM
YES the olympics reward points:rocker2: oh and don't look too much nito his schedule, as someone has pointed out he's got 3 tournaments in one week. i think this is what he's gonna be working with to cut it down. Andy won't play more than around 22 tournaments. i mean obviously he'll play the big events, and we know which small ones he'll play, since he always plays usually the same ones (Houston, memphis, etc.) but the other ones are prob there just in case and will most probably be discarded anyways. i wouldn't look at it too much

tangerine_dream
12-05-2003, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the schedule, Debster *ha! hee!* ;)

It sure seems like the tennis season never ends. Okay, they get December off , big deal, but I think it would be beneficial for the sport if they had specific months or an actual season for tennis the way they do for baseball, basketball, etc. Because tennis is all over the place, it's hard for casual sports fans to follow it....

Ok, enough of that. And yeah, I really hope Andy does the Olympics, too. I'd love to see him win a gold medal. :bounce:

Deboogle!.
12-05-2003, 02:45 PM
If andy doesn't go to Athens I might not be able to be a fan anymore. Seriously, I wait for the Olympics every 2 years impatiently.

My guess is that the early part of the schedule is correct. Up through the FO, the tourneys are either Slams, TMS, or smaller ones that the tourneys are reporting that he has committed to. After RG, I'd imagine he will play Queen's again, then obviously WImby, then it's the summer track which looks about right then the Olympics then USO and after the USO is when it gets shady. I just can't see him playing the week after the USO

Deboogle!.
12-05-2003, 03:19 PM
I just realized that St. Poelten isn't there... considering he has a title to defend, I wonder why he'd decide not to play anything that week. Oh well, maybe it'll get added later

Deboogle!.
12-05-2003, 03:29 PM
AND...... you better get your but over to Westside in April!! Red clay and Andy. It doesn't get better than that. :)

oops just saw this too.

Tragically I don't think I'll be there... they don't sell single-session tix and a couple hundred bucks for the whole session just ain't happening. Plus it takes place over one of my last weeks of college so time is an issue. I might go one day and get a grounds pass though depending on my schedule (which next semester is not going to be as wide open as this one was)... I just really wish they sold single-session tix (they say they do but only after a certain point when they stop selling series tix and that it doesn't usually ever happen b/c they sell out)

I wonder why he keeps playing Houston, I mean I know he loves it but yea... for his benefit it seems like he'd probably be better off going over to Europe and playing in either Valencia or Estoril. It just seems like a better choice right before Monte-Carlo but who am I to say lol...

Havok
12-05-2003, 04:18 PM
bunk just think about it logically, Andy plays houston because
1) it was his kind of break-through, i'm not sure if this was his 1st title or 2nd
2) he's won it 2 times
3) it offers the same amount of points as the other small clay events in Europe
4) his record at houston
and besides i remember reading that Houston imports the same red clay that Europe uses, so there isn't any difference in the clay used. and yes the schedule is one f'ed up job, just look at the Madrid TMS it's surface is GRASS. it's just a mistake/glitch which happened, and it should be fixed soon as people on his website will get suspiscious and the admins will fix it

star
12-05-2003, 04:24 PM
It was Andy's first title. Mac sort of adopted him that first year he was there.

The red clay is beautiful, and it is imported from France and the groundskeeper at Roland Garros installs it.

I am pretty sure that the tournament sells weekend seats. When I went last year, I had the option of getting weekend seats or a seats for the whole tournament. I wound up buying seats for the whole week even though I was only there for the weekend. My friends in Houston used them until I arrived. :)

If I do that next year, I'll let you know. :)

Deboogle!.
12-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Oh I know why he plays Houston, I was just thinking out loud. I don't think it's necessarily clay he has as much trouble with as Europe, so that's why playing a tourney in Spain or something on the same level as Houston might be a good idea. I don't expect him to give up Houston, though.

I'll have to call the WTC box office again and see.... I specifically asked about single-session, not weekend so I dunno. And yea, if you decide to do that star, definitely let me know! :kiss:

Havok
12-05-2003, 04:43 PM
oh ok then bunk. but i don't want him to give up Houston, he's got a special bond with it and i'd hate for him to give it up, he's not that kind of guy

Winston's Human
12-05-2003, 06:11 PM
He could play Delray Beach the week after the US Open since it's right at home.

Havok
12-05-2003, 06:16 PM
i highly doubt he'll play Delray Beach RIGHT after the US Open, it's pretty much guaranteed at least a quarterfinal appearance, and you are usually not at your best, both physicaly/mentaly right after a Slam

Deboogle!.
12-05-2003, 06:22 PM
yea, I just don't see him playing after the USO (or right after any other slam for that matter) especially since it *is* possible that the US *could* make the DC semifinal which would fill that part of the schedule up even more.

Mr. Man
12-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the schedule.

J. Corwin
12-05-2003, 08:09 PM
He has those doubling/tripling of tournaments maybe for back-up. But then again, I don't think players actually sign up that way.

And Deb, you really won't be a fan of Andy's anymore if he somehow doesn't play Athens?

Deboogle!.
12-05-2003, 08:16 PM
If he has a reason for not playing that's one thing, but if he chooses not to play for no particular reason, I would lose a lot of respect for him yes. The Olympics are really important to me, I can't help it. But on the other hand, I can't imagine him missing it for anything other than some emergency or medical problem... he's way too proud an American to miss a chance to play for his country.

I'm guessing the 2 and 3 tourneys are there b/c they're like all the tourneys that even HAPPEN on those weeks, and that it just hasn't even been determined at all if/which he will play. In other words I bet many of those weeks he won't even play any, let alone one of the 2 or 3 listed.

heya
12-05-2003, 08:31 PM
Win enough to qualify for Masters Cup.
That'll shatter Malivai Washington's hopes. HEHE

J. Corwin
12-05-2003, 08:32 PM
I understand and I agree. But I can't imagine him not playing either, cuz he always plays Davis Cup when he can. He loves representing his country and the Olympics are the ultimate.

Deboogle!.
12-05-2003, 08:32 PM
what did Mal say?

J. Corwin
12-05-2003, 08:40 PM
I think Mal just isn't particularly fond of Andy. But I could be wrong.

Deboogle!.
12-05-2003, 08:57 PM
aha.. I didn't realize that. I mean he may not think Andy rises with the sun and sets with the moon but I never got the feeling he didn't like him.

Plus, barring anythng Hewitt-esque, Andy will again qualify for TMC

Havok
12-05-2003, 09:02 PM
i've never heard Mal say anything negative towards Andy. but at the same time i don't think Andy's his #1 fav ( it's Federer i believe), like Pat McEnroe :mad: SHUT IT sometimes Pat.

Winston's Human
12-05-2003, 09:46 PM
I would be completely shocked if Andy did not play the Olympics. He has played every DC tie since he turned professional except this year's tie against Croatia when he was injured.

heya
12-05-2003, 10:00 PM
During DC, Malivai kept repeating that he expected Andy
to lose early during the summer because
Andy didn't look consistent to him...
moaned about the U. S. problems on clay.
Wow, if I was always on a red clay court with a good coach,
I'd play well on it too!

Deboogle!.
12-05-2003, 10:38 PM
I would be completely shocked if Andy did not play the Olympics. He has played every DC tie since he turned professional except this year's tie against Croatia when he was injured.

Yea exactly. I mean it's the Olympics and considering the court and conditions really favor him, he should do well (how awesome would him winning a medal be!!!??), etc.

As for Mal, who cares if he thought Andy wasn't consistent enough? Everyone said that about Federer before Wimby too and look what happened there. The US Players DO have trouble on clay and it IS embarrassing. Him saying those comments doesn't mean he doesn't like Andy or think he's a good player.

J. Corwin
12-06-2003, 12:13 AM
I forgot but I read Mal articles where he wasn't too pleased with Roddick. Not a personal vendetta or anything of course.

Havok
12-06-2003, 12:27 AM
wasn't too please about what? Andy's career already outshining his in a meer 3 years on tour:haha::haha:

J. Corwin
12-06-2003, 12:50 AM
Well of course.
Andy's 3-4 year career so far has been better than 99% of others with their whole careers.