Andy at Indian Wells Masters [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy at Indian Wells Masters

shyscots25
03-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Let's face it, after the tame-hearted capitulation to a robredo still searching for form and confidence, Andy's star can only rise further over the next few weeks.

How will he do? Only fools speculate where angels fear to tred but i have a feeling, a big feeling in fact, that Andy may achieve some nice points in the two masters series. Perhaps its just me but one of the interesting facets of Andy is the attitude he takes on to the court - the much mooted and discussed psychological aspect of tennis. It seems to me Andy's mood on court, even from the beginning of a match, vacillates often from day to day and week to week. At times he seems a forlorn figure confused and disinterested as much as the days he seems enthused, determined, and offbeat. Perhaps its a bit simplistic but when Andy is happy, he plays happy, with the opposite clearly seen a number of times in his blossoming career, where one was just left to wonder: what is going on in that mind of yours?

It is too much to expect consistency this early and i think what Andy demonstrates the more i have thought about it is the limits of potential in the early ATP years. At his best Andy can just about beat anyone on the tour. On his bad days, you would scarcely believe what all the fuss was about. Look at Berdych this season, so gifted and highly fancied after the paris masters last year which seemed to confirm his growing power and ability; yet despite flashes this year, he has been vastly anonymous, with some bad bad defeats.

I think being a Murray fan this year will be quite a rollercoaster because it is difficult, on the evidence of the season so far, to gauge which Andy we shall see. Good Andy that beat Roddick and Hewitt and pushed Ljubicic very hard, or bad bad Andy that got totally outplayed by chela and Robredo and scarcely looked a player of any merit whatsoever. It is too early to begin postulating the kind of inner duality that was the hallmark of Ivanisevic, but i am just hoping happy good Andy has a great week here.

Finger's crossed for a nice draw, and then some matches won. The last thing he needs here is an early exit. There are big points in play for the next two tournaments and a good run could book his seeding for the french and wimbledon.

OddJob
03-06-2006, 02:28 AM
I have a feel that Andy will do well at IW provided he gets a decent draw. I'm sure he'll be pumped and ready to do some damage there. Memphis and LV were smaller tourneys so I doubt he was juiced up that much for either of them.

Duncan
03-06-2006, 07:09 AM
with a decent draw then i would expect Andy to reach the 3rd round at the very least :)

Sweet4Richard
03-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Hopefully Andy will get a decent draw and then after that I can begin to speculate on how far he will get. :)

Go Andy! :bounce:

musefanatic
03-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Good luck Andy! Up the decent draw, don't want a stinker like last time :)

stebs
03-07-2006, 04:42 PM
It's all about the draw but I think if Andy is on form there are only 5 or 6 people who he will lose to anyway.

A good draw and he could provide us with some miracles.

Please not Fed or Rafa

Sweet4Richard
03-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Please not Fed or Rafa

At least he can only meet them 2nd round, being that they both have first round byes. :)

keep_er_lit!
03-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Andy's first match will be against a qualifier. If he wins he'll face Davydenko in the second. Possibility of meeting Safin in the third.

Sweet4Richard
03-08-2006, 02:36 AM
http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2006/404/MDS.pdf Main Draw
I hate qualifers since they are so dangerous. Hopefully Andy will be able to get through though.

Go Andy :bounce:

ClaycourtaZzZz.
03-09-2006, 12:05 PM
:lol: Andy will lose in R1:(

OddJob
03-10-2006, 03:03 AM
:lol: Andy will lose in R1:(

Have some faith! :p

Gulliver
03-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Andy's got Vasilis Mazarakis a 26 years old from Greece, plays RH, who defeated Guccione in the Qualies 7/6, 6/3. Could be tricky.

shyscots25
03-10-2006, 11:18 AM
You must be kidding. Andy took care of Guccione easily more than once last summer, and this greek guy will be a nice easy introduction. He is on stadium court 3 around 9-10 pm our time. Routine straight sets win with little fuss. Andy will step it up this week. He will want a try at Davydenko. I wouldn't bank on Marat getting past Moya, although that is getting ahead because davy would be another big scalp to take!

Andy must get into the ROUTINE of beating this type of player easily.

Danika
03-11-2006, 12:22 AM
Good luck Andy!I know you can do it!

Sweet4Richard
03-11-2006, 04:27 AM
Andy won! 6-2, 6-1 :banana:
Bring on Davydenko :woohoo:

OddJob
03-11-2006, 04:42 AM
Only a loss of 3 games not bad. I think Andy has a good shot vs Koyla.

Best of Luck Andy!

Jimnik
03-11-2006, 07:15 AM
Are Sky going to show his match tonight?

It's 5th match on court 2 and play starts at about 6pm our time. So I estimate his match will start after midnight, right?

Duncan
03-11-2006, 07:18 AM
I doubt Sky will show the match, you woulda thought they would have shown the 1st round match if they were at all serious about the brits at Indian Wells but we will see

* Just checked my sky tv schedule for tonight and it says that the tennis is only on til 8pm on sky sports extra. what a joke.. 2 hours coverage!!

Raquel
03-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Well done Andy :yeah:

ClaycourtaZzZz.
03-11-2006, 04:32 PM
lol, did he lose serve?

Sweet4Richard
03-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Rain delayed the start of Murray's match but the 18-year-old Scot needed just 47 minutes to book his second-round berth.

Murray was quick to capitalise on each of his three break points in the first set.

Mazarakis managed a break of his own in the second, but the British number one stormed home by winning 24 of the 33 points played.

Stadium 2 start 10:00 AM
G Rusedski (GBR) vs S Wawrinka (SUI)
W Moodie (RSA) vs P Srichaphan (THA)
Not before 12:00 NOON
J Bjorkman (SWE) vs C Rochus (BEL)
A Seppi (ITA) vs P Mathieu (FRA)
(Q)B Mattek (USA) vs S Mirza (IND)
Murray (GBR) vs (5)N Davydenko (RUS) :bounce:
S Foretz (FRA) vs A Sugiyama (JPN)

Danika
03-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Wow I dont know if he is going to get past Nikolay!Thats going to be a really tough match for Andy!But I hope Andy wins!Good luck Andy its going to be tough!

shyscots25
03-11-2006, 10:19 PM
I think he will win in straight sets. Davy is not in great form and is there for the taking if Andy has the correct attitude. Well capable of handling the serve and no reason why he should be bossed in the rallies. If he serves well i expect him to edge two close sets. Quite confident about the win! Come on Andy!!!!!

musefanatic
03-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Good luck against Davydenko Andy!! :) I have a feeling Andy might do it, i hope he can.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
03-12-2006, 10:39 AM
He'll play Davydonkey at about 21:00 CET

Sweet4Richard
03-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Sunday, March 12, 2006 OOP:

Stadium 2 start 11:00 AM
(1)J Henin-Hardenne (BEL) vs T Pironkova (BUL)
A Murray (GBR) vs (5)N Davydenko (RUS)
(31)L Granville (USA) vs (2)L Davenport (USA)
Not before 3:00 PM
(28)C Moya (ESP) vs M Safin (RUS)
(5)A Myskina (RUS) vs (27)M Domachowska (POL)
(18)R Ginepri (USA) vs P Srichaphan (THA)

Go Andy :worship:

stebs
03-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Henin should take care of her much with no fuss so Andy shouldn't be too late.

shyscots25
03-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Henin currently easing through her gimme match at good speed. Should be on court before 9pm. Is it on TV anywhere??

Sweet4Richard
03-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Andy's on with Davydenko now. The score is 1-6, 4-2

Come on Andy :yeah: Fight!

Danika
03-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Andy lost 6/1 3/6 6/3.Im very sad that he lost!But I had a feeling he was going to.

kundalini
03-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Sadly very little quality from Andy today. He let Davydenko dominate the match and paid the price for passive tennis deep behind the baseline. Far more unforced errors than we are used to seeing and the trademark Murray shots like aces down the T, fierce double-handed backhands up the line and delightful drop shots were largely absent.

The second set looked hopeful as Andy adopted a slightly more aggressive approach but the final set was truly horrible to watch.

OddJob
03-13-2006, 01:22 AM
I thought Andy had a pretty good shot vs Nik. Oh well one step forward and two steps back.

kundalini
03-13-2006, 12:42 PM
It was a match he could have won but given the ineffectiveness of his serve in 2006, the rest of his game would have needed to be almost perfect. At the moment Andy's first serve is little more than getting the ball in play, rather than last year's blast and hope version. Against Davydenko he was winning just 53% on first serve compared to figures in the 70-80% region for practically every other decent player in the draw. Even the service games he won were a real struggle.

musefanatic
03-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Shame for Andy. It would've been nice for him to win but obviously wasn't meant to be. 53% just ain't good enough, not against someone like Davydenko at all.

Sweet4Richard
03-14-2006, 12:47 AM
Yep, shame that Andy couldn't of pulled it out, but at least he did win a round. Like he said in his post match interview he can't be expected to win every match. He lost to a very solid opponent.

Let's just hope that he can have a good result in Miami and hopefully a good draw. :yeah:

Aleksa's Laydee
03-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Awww Andy such a shame :sobbing: