What do u think of Sampras being given night matches all the time? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What do u think of Sampras being given night matches all the time?

Sonic
08-06-2002, 01:53 AM
All 3 of his matches in Toronto were night matches, and his R1 match in Cinci is at night. He does not like the heat of the day, and so he requests night matches and gets them. I find it completely unfair on his opponents, and players who get mid afternoon matches all the time. If I had played three 3 set matches in searing heat then had to play a fresher Sampras as he was allowed to play when its cooler all the time I wouldn't be the most impressed man in the building.

Your thoughts?

TennisHack
08-06-2002, 02:07 AM
I think the tournaments will kowtow to him because he brings in the fans (supposedly). I don't think it's fair, but I guess when you win 63 tournaments you have a little say in when you play.

Chloe le Bopper
08-06-2002, 02:09 AM
I understand why people don't like it...

But every single match he played in Toronto was packed.

Even round one. Everyone wanted to see Pete because we all knew that he might not be back.

U.S. AIR FORCE
08-06-2002, 02:11 AM
When Sampras' opponents win 13 slams and have been #1 for dozens of weeks, maybe then they'll get what they want.

Its no surprise that top players get what they want. And I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the promoters/directors wanting certain players to get further in the tournament than others.

tennischick
08-06-2002, 02:42 AM
i think it sucks. i'd rather see him being forced to stick his tongue out in the midday sun...

then again, i'd rather not...:o

safin_fan
08-06-2002, 02:57 AM
I think it's better b/c now I know when to not watch ESPN.:p

Lily
08-06-2002, 03:28 AM
:) on those last two comments...

John.Charles
08-06-2002, 07:56 AM
Pete is an old prick...he kept switching racquets...

"It's not the racquets that are making you suck Pete!"

:D I don't know what's going on with him..

They obviously want him to stay in the tournies longer.

Chloe le Bopper
08-06-2002, 07:59 AM
lol @ the racquets comment.

I must say, seeing him do his drama queen in person is rather amusing :o

He furrows his brows, and walks to the net and puts his head in his hands lol

After a while even the crowd was laughing a bit ;)

the cat
08-06-2002, 12:21 PM
Sonic, do you expect him to just fly in from Toronto and play a day match? I think not! ;)

And since Sampras is the greatest player of all time, sorry Rod Laver, they are going to have Pete play at night so the greatest amount of fans can watch him in person and on television. I trust that was the answer you were looking for. And when Pete's not playing the night match, Agassi will be! :D With Sampras and Agassi playing at night this week in Cincinati, it will be like legends week all week long! :bounce:

Angele
08-06-2002, 12:34 PM
In Cincy I don't have a problem with it cuz I don't get night coverage so I don't want my afternoon coverage to be covered with Pete :o

Seriously though I think it's unfair and the players (supposedly) had a problem with it in Toronto and I don't blame them. And not all the top players get what they ask for because Lleyton had asked to only play on Tuesday in TO cuz he had been sick and stuff but they refused his request and told him on Sunday night that he had to play Monday....

Goonergal
08-06-2002, 12:35 PM
Yes I have to say itz hillarious when he chucks a mental the solemn look he gets on his face and the looking up to the sky :o Then ventures to the net looks down wards some more, puts his hands on the net..lol! :p

tennischick
08-06-2002, 01:49 PM
i've never seen Pete behave as much like a drama queen/biyatch as he did in Toronto. :eek: constantly harassing the Chair and querying line calls. he was a mess! it was so out of character. he's normally so sedate and business-like. but he seemed irritable in every match. i wonder if it's menopause...? ;)

James
08-06-2002, 05:06 PM
lmao@tennischick:D

night matches, day matches, the result is always the same with Pete nowadays;)

Nimi
08-06-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Rebecca
I understand why people don't like it...

But every single match he played in Toronto was packed.

Even round one. Everyone wanted to see Pete because we all knew that he might not be back.

Chloe le Bopper
08-06-2002, 08:39 PM
Sonic, do you expect him to just fly in from Toronto and play a day match? I think not!

I'm a little confused - fly in from Toronto? Do you mean fly in TO Toronto?

In either case, he didn't play late into the week before either tournament.

That, and its not like Toronto to Ohiol is a great venture lmao

Sonic
08-06-2002, 08:50 PM
I wasn't 'looking' for an answer.

Its a little of the Anna K syndrome in a way, but I am doubting she asks for night matches each and every time. And if he played in the day it would be packed. Its him saying to the organisers, "Hey, give me an advantage against everyone please". And lets face it, right now he needs as many advanages as he can beg. I've always found it unfair that because someone has done something in the past, it means they deserve some special treatment no matter how they're playing right now. It'd be different if he didn't ask for it, for the crowd reasons etc, but I find it very unsavory.

christinaE
08-06-2002, 09:00 PM
Where did you read that he "asked " for the night match??

Canas just played and won the final on Sunday. The match up Sampras/Canas deserves the night match spot IMHO.

At the LA tournament 2 weeks ago, Agassi played all the night matches.

Sonic
08-06-2002, 09:04 PM
Commentators said he asked for them cos he doesn't like the heat of the day.

christinaE
08-06-2002, 09:08 PM
And who was the "commentators" and can you always believe what they have to say?

Sonic
08-06-2002, 09:14 PM
The commentators were Peter Fleming and Chris Bailey. I say commentators, they actually were the guys in the studio who analyse and stall while they're waiting for a new match. And no you can't believe what they say always, but I doubt they'd make something like that up for the fun of it. They also said that he's said himself that he doesn't like the heat. Sure they like to blab as if they know everyone's games inside out, but I doubt they make up quotes and events quite so much.

Chloe le Bopper
08-06-2002, 09:28 PM
Well of course his day match would be packed.

But people coming during the day can see Safin, Hewitt, Haas etc, all with just one ticket.

The night session usually has two good matchups, then some doubles.

People want to know that if they are paying for a night ticket, that they are going to see a "name".

Pete, is the biggest name there is.

Chloe le Bopper
08-06-2002, 09:29 PM
I might add that I ran into am American who was bitching to one of the tournament people about this actually.

Mind you his complaint was that he wanted to see Pete and only had day tickets ;)

Sonic
08-06-2002, 11:14 PM
Do people go for the whole day and night usually, or just one? Just wondering cos we don't have night matches in GB big events cos its all grass.

Chloe le Bopper
08-07-2002, 12:14 AM
Sonic- a lot of people go all day.

But also people have the option of must going for one of the sessions.

In order to go all day I need two tickets.

the cat
08-07-2002, 12:42 AM
Yes Becca, I meant flying from Toronto to Cincinati. And Christina made a good point about Canas deserving to play a night match after playing and winning on Sunday afternoon. Great point Christina! :)

Chloe le Bopper
08-07-2002, 01:31 AM
"Yes Becca, I meant flying from Toronto to Cincinati. "

Seeing as Pete lost in Toronto on Thursday, I guess you were jsut being sacrastic, huh?

the cat
08-07-2002, 01:43 AM
OMG Becca! You're a mindreader! ;)

TC, Pete is going through some trying times. It's only natural for him to be frustrated! :) People have wanted more fire and emotion from Pete for years. And now he's giving it to them! :eek:

tennischick
08-07-2002, 02:04 AM
it wasn't fire and emotion. it was irritability and bitchiness. there's a diff. he just seemed totally out of sorts. did u see the way he threw himself down on the ground tonite in the match against Canas? lol!

i've also heard that Sampras asks for night matches. some of the other players are apparently quite pissed off about it --- or so i've heard. but clearly he still has the clout to get what he asks for. ;)

christinaE
08-07-2002, 02:42 AM
Well, Agassi has the night match tomorrow.

And who are all these "other players"?
Just heresay?

It is almost like all these rumours and innuendo of "players on drugs", but never a name is mentioned, except Bruguera who named Canas.

Dissident
08-07-2002, 04:08 AM
Its very simple to get "Sampras said he likes to play at night" and "Sampras always gets night matches" and transform in "Sampras asked for night matches"

Thats where they get it from MANY times. Doesnt it ring a bell? Thats PRESS.

Of course, sometimes they indeed have a point.

dbc
08-07-2002, 03:04 PM
The majority of us know that Pete prefers night matches when it's hot.
Must be annoying for those who often land up with the earliest match every time.
However, there are always organisers who will try & help him. Remember that at Wimbledon in 2000 when he was going for the record, he was given every one of his matches on Centre Court. Usually the top seeds & biggest draws are alternated between Centre & Court 1. He was most indignant when he was relegated to Court 2 this year.

eshell
08-09-2002, 04:47 PM
Sampras is usually a crowd favorite (in his twilight years at least...). He's earned the right to request and receive night matches.

Despite his woes, he has been one of the best ever (arguably).

tennischick
08-09-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by dbc
The majority of us know that Pete prefers night matches when it's hot. Must be annoying for those who often land up with the earliest match every time. However, there are always organisers who will try & help him. Remember that at Wimbledon in 2000 when he was going for the record, he was given every one of his matches on Centre Court. Usually the top seeds & biggest draws are alternated between Centre & Court 1. He was most indignant when he was relegated to Court 2 this year.

i often listen to tennis commentary by Jimmy Arias and he gives great insider info on both the men's and women's tennis, and he has said every single thing in your post.

some Sampras fans have a hard time admitting that the Android has feet of clay. not that they help him any at Roland Garros...:o :o