2002 Wimby: Nalbandian-Hewitt comparison [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2002 Wimby: Nalbandian-Hewitt comparison

disturb3d
03-04-2006, 03:43 PM
http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/wimbledon2002/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=wimbledon/02/07/06/WIMBLEDON_Men_Comparison.html

In the article. Among other things, it's stated that David's forehand is his best shot.
And since I've only been following his progress since AO 05, I have NO idea whether this statement was from a lack of knowledge, or that Dave's forehand was actually the superior shot.

Fill me in, boys

gooner88
03-04-2006, 05:36 PM
http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/wimbledon2002/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=wimbledon/02/07/06/WIMBLEDON_Men_Comparison.html

In the article. Among other things, it's stated that David's forehand is his best shot.
And since I've only been following his progress since AO 05, I have NO idea whether this statement was from a lack of knowledge, or that Dave's forehand was actually the superior shot.

Fill me in, boys

The majority of fans on this forum are not boys. :p
Personally I think his backhand is the better shot. His forehand is a good shot, but it's more likely to break down under pressure. But when it's on the FH is a great shot. One thing I was puzzled with during the match against Baghdatis was why he didin't go for it more on his FH. He was far too conservative on that wing.

sigmagirl91
03-05-2006, 12:21 AM

Fill me in, boys

Then again....the press also called him a claycourter, perhaps by force of habit, because he is from South America.

Caralimon
06-18-2006, 07:32 AM
This part is priceless.

''This will be his debut at Wimbledon and as Nalbandian is a player who prefers the slower courts, don't expect him to go far.

zan
06-20-2006, 01:02 PM
This articel is from 2002. David is a completely different player. At the time, practically no one had heard of him, which is why the story is so ludicrous. But, if anyone remembers the match (I saw it in person), David did not play well at all.

sigmagirl91
06-20-2006, 06:43 PM
This articel is from 2002. David is a completely different player. At the time, practically no one had heard of him, which is why the story is so ludicrous. But, if anyone remembers the match (I saw it in person), David did not play well at all.

I agree. Given his seeding, one would have expected a third-round finish at the very most. Even David himself was surprised at how the draws panned out. By the time he'd reached the final, most of the top seeds failed to make the second week (Pete and Andre come to mind; they lost on the same day). Not bad for a supposed claycourter.

sophia_c
06-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Tiff..I thought you had left us?...seems not....maybe its so exciting...you couldn't keep away!!