Andy Articles!!!!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy Articles!!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

tangerine_dream
12-01-2003, 02:06 AM
:wavey: Hi everyone! Hope you all had a delicious and wonderful Thanksgiving!

I decided to start this new thread where we can post and store all the articles on Andy/tennis that we come across. That way, we can keep them all in one place and not have to create a new thread for every story we find. And it'll be a great place where new fans can catch up on old news on our guy. :)

Here's a new one I found today. Enjoy!

http://sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=tennis-m/news/BCN2921333.htm

BIG THINGS EXPECTED FROM YOUNG AMERICANS IN 2004

By Scott Riley, Tennis Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The great Andre Agassi still looms large, but the crop of young Americans, spearheaded by world No. 1 Andy Roddick, should wreak havoc on the ATP next season.

Pete Sampras is gone and the current world No. 4 Agassi, at the age of 33, is always a year-to-year proposition to return to the tour, so the American youngsters (aside from Roddick) need to stake their claim on the circuit to give us the next pack of American stars, i.e. Sampras, Agassi, Michael Chang, Jim Courier and Todd Martin.

The 21-year-old Roddick has already arrived, as evidenced by his world No. 1 ranking, his title in the Champions Race and his first-ever Grand Slam crown at the 2003 U.S. Open. The Nebraska native heads up the "New Balls Please" generation, which includes the likes of international stalwarts Roger Federer, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Guillermo Coria, Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin (when he's playing).

Roddick was second on tour this year with six titles, including lucrative back-to-back Masters Series shields in Montreal and Cincinnati, and eclipsed more than $3 million in prize money. His big victory in Cincy came at the expense of his good friend Mardy Fish, who is perhaps the Americans' next-best young star. Fish had a match point against Roddick in Cincy, but Roddick was able to blast his way out of trouble en route to a three-set win at the ATP Tennis Center.

The hard-hitting Roddick reached at least the semis in three of the four Slams this year, including his popular title run in New York.

The 21-year-old Fish, who will turn 22 on December 9, possesses a lethal service game (like his buddy Roddick) and has been improving every year. The Minnesota native finished '03 at No. 20 in the world, giving him his first top-20 finish, and his first career ATP title came in Stockholm in October.

The American charge is joined by world No. 32 Robby Ginepri, No. 33 Taylor Dent and No. 37 James Blake. And if you wanted, you could toss No. 29 Vincent Spadea and No. 51 Jan-Michael Gambill into the mix, but Spadea is no youngster at 29, nor is Gambill at 26...so let's forget them in this equation.

Ginepri is most certainly on the rise. The Florida native, like Fish, also broke through for his first career title this season, albeit at a weak tourney in Newport where he beat lefthanded Austrian Jurgen Melzer in a grass-court final on the grounds at the Tennis Hall of Fame.

The 21-year-old Ginepri is fresh off his non-ATP title in Portland, where he captured the inaugural SuperSet competition, an eight-man, one-set, sudden- death, winner-take-all tourney created by Australian sports promoter Steven Duvall. The windfall for Ginepri's title was $250,000, not bad considering that's more than half of what he earned for the entire '03 season ($469,121). The Portland field included the likes of Agassi, Dent, Blake, Spadea and Gambill -- Ginepri's victim in the final.

Dent, the son of former ATPer Phil Dent of Australia, is another one of the huge-serving Americans, and his game could carry him far at important places like Wimbledon and Flushing.

The 22-year-old Californian blasted his way to a trio of championships in '03, including a big upset against his countryman Roddick in a final in Memphis. His other titles came back-to-back in Bangkok and Moscow, where he upended the French Open champion and U.S. Open runner-up Ferrero and Sargis Sargsian in the respective finals. Dent soared into the fourth round at the U.S. Open, only to lose to the ageless Agassi.

Blake is still part of the young American pack, but he dropped off a bit this year after finishing at No. 22 in '02. Blake, who will turn 24 next month, crossed the finish line at No. 37 this season, one in which the New Yorker failed to title and dropped five of his last six matches, including three opening-round setbacks. Needless to say, the athletic star is looking forward to a bounce-back year in 2004.

If you want to talk Davis Cup, I think the Americans realistically can win it next year, even without Agassi. With singles options like Roddick, Fish, Ginepri and Dent, and a world No. 1 doubles team, which currently is the Bryan brothers (Bob and Mike), captain McEnroe (Patrick McEnroe, that is) should be chompin' at the bit for the February tie versus Austria.

By the way, the 31-time champion U.S. hasn't hoisted the 103-year-old Davis Cup since 1995 and hasn't reached the final since '97 when it was destroyed by Sweden, 5-0. Ouch!!!

Don't be surprised if as many as five Americans (Roddick, Agassi, Fish, Ginepri, Dent) reside inside the top 20 next year. Maybe that's not a stretch, considering Roddick, Agassi and Fish are already there, so I guess I'm predicting that Ginepri and Dent will join the exclusive club.

Deboogle!.
12-01-2003, 02:10 AM
:hug: tangerine! Hope you had a fab holiday :) We've missed you!

anyway this is a great idea :) I saw this article a couple days ago, must've forgotten to post, but it's a great one! :) Haven't seen much other news on Andy though, it's quiet time!

J. Corwin
12-01-2003, 07:01 AM
Welcome back Tangerine! *hugs*

Thanks for the article.

tangerine_dream
12-01-2003, 03:00 PM
Aww, thanks guys! :hug: I missed you too, but am glad to be back and talking all things Andy again. Hee!

tangerine_dream
12-01-2003, 03:05 PM
Hey, did you guys see this in USA Today Weekend?

Will tennis prodigy Andy Roddick match or surpass Tiger Woods in terms of fan popularity, commercial endorsements and tournament winnings?

Not anytime soon, says sports business writer Darren Rovell, of ESPN.com. Roddick, 21, has 11 singles titles, two doubles titles and one Grand Slam win (at this year's U.S. Open) -- great for the short time he's been playing. But he'll have to remain a consistent winner to match Woods' 52 career titles and eight major championships. Woods, 27, had $41 million in tournament winnings through 2002; Roddick's take was $4 million. As for popularity, "America likes winners," Rovell says, and winnings play directly into bankability. "Companies are willing to spend more if you win more." Roddick's deal with Reebok hasn't done as much to raise his profile as Nike's golf brand has for Woods. But a Roddick-centered reality show, now in development, just might.

======

Wow, I didn't realize Tiger Woods had made so much money! I'd love to see Andy in the sports celebrity realm of Tiger Woods. (If the USTA can ever get its act together that is :( )

Havok
12-01-2003, 06:08 PM
i've heard people say that Tiger Woods gets like 1 million $ JUST for showing up to the damn event:tape: but yeah Andy's on the path, even if he won't win as much as Tiger does in their respective domains, Andy IS marketable, the most marketable tennis player in the ATP circuit. more power to Andy. if all those haters are already sick of the Roddick media blitz, then i wanna see them in the near future :devil:

J. Corwin
12-01-2003, 06:37 PM
lol. Andy will probably not reach the sports celeb fame of Tiger, but he definitely can increase his profile.

Deboogle!.
12-02-2003, 12:07 AM
I read it :) Tiger's crazy... and engaged to a very pretty Swedish girl lol.

MisterQ
12-02-2003, 02:58 AM
I read it :) Tiger's crazy... and engaged to a very pretty Swedish girl lol.

Doesn't sound crazy to me! ;)

Deboogle!.
12-02-2003, 03:25 AM
I didn't mean Tiger's crazy so much as all the hoopla surrounding him lol

heya
12-02-2003, 04:55 AM
hmmm, how much more depth is in the field of competitors in each sport?
Tennis players don't
get an ounce of respect that golf players get--seeing
how much fewer consistent players challenge Tiger.
Tennis is extremely hard on the body and mind
while in golf, you could take long breaks, just walk casually, make many
mistakes and still win.
Tiger has no chance in tennis...Andy could play decent golf.
Tiger
was on TV when he was 3.
Andy didn't play tennis
until he was much older-didn't plan on turning pro until he was 16.
Tennis still rules no matter how much more money
Tiger makes.

J. Corwin
12-02-2003, 06:37 AM
I wouldn't go as far as saying Andy can play decent golf. We don't know.

Tiger's sport is just more highly respected and popular than Andy's sport.

heya
12-02-2003, 01:12 PM
Decent as in not bad, but of course, Andy would
fall asleep before finishing a putt. :p

Tiger can't even rally with the #1000 tennis player.
No way in hell does
golf keep most people's interest like tennis does.

tangerine_dream
12-02-2003, 03:29 PM
I swiped this from the ATP site. It says a lot about Andy as a player for giving us three of the most memorable matches this year. :dance:

Top 10 Matches of 2003!

With so many outstanding matches in 2003, it was no easy task picking this list. Here is a look back, in no particular order, at our Top 10 matches of 2003!

Andy Roddick vs Younes El Aynaoui (Australian Open)
In an epic encounter in the Rod Laver Arena, it took 40 games in a dramatic fifth set before a winner emerged from this drama-infused duel. It was a match for the record books, with the longest fifth set, in terms of games played, since the beginning of the Open Era in 1968. And with a total of 83 games, it was the longest match in number of games at the Australian Open since the tie-break was instituted (for all but the deciding set) in 1971. Roddick fought off a match point at 4-5 in the fifth set before winning 4-6, 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-4, 21-19.

Roger Federer vs Scott Draper (Cincinnati)
Federer saved an astonishing seven match points against Draper in this nail-biter at the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters in Cincinnati. The recently crowned Wimbledon champion pulled out all the stops in this battle, saving four consecutive match points against the free-swinging Australian veteran at 2-6 down in the third set tie-break, before eventually triumphing 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(10).

Albert Costa vs Tommy Robredo (Roland Garros)
Costa gave new meaning to the term 'marathon man' at this year's Roland Garros, winning four five-set matches and playing more than 18 hours of tennis through his first five rounds of play. Against Robredo, Costa looked down and out at two sets to love down, but much like he had done in earlier rounds against Sergio Roitman and Nicolas Lapentti, the defending champion mounted a miraculous comeback to win 2-6, 3-6, 6-4, 7-5, 6-2.

Andy Roddick vs Mardy Fish (Cincinnati)
These two close friends and former housemates put on a thrilling display of hard court tennis in the final of the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters in Cincinnati. Fish earned himself two match points and did not drop his serve throughout the match, but still failed to stop Roddick claiming his second Tennis Masters Series title in as many weeks (after Montreal). Roddick, whose win sent him above Roger Federer at the top of the ATP Champions Race, battled through to win 4-6, 7-6(4), 7-6(3).

Tim Henman vs Sebastian Grosjean (Paris)
In front of a raucous Paris crowd, Henman exacted revenge on Grosjean who had beaten him this year on home soil at Queen's and Wimbledon. The Brit clawed his way back from a one set deficit to earn a 3-6, 6-4, 7-5 win in 2 hours and 22 minutes. Henman continued on to record successive wins over Gustavo Kuerten, Roger Federer, Andy Roddick and Andrei Pavel in one of the most impressive title runs on the ATP circuit this year.

Guillermo Coria vs David Ferrer (Sopot)
Coria's 7-5, 6-1 victory in the Idea Prokom Open final in Sopot over David Ferrer capped a remarkable three week stretch for the Argentine, who claimed his third title in as many weeks, without losing a single set in 15 matches. Coria's streak started in Stuttgart where he defeated Tommy Robredo in the final with the loss of just five games, before triumphing in Kitzbuhel the following week with a similarly convincing win in the final over Nicolas Massu. No player had won three titles in three weeks since Thomas Muster in 1996 (Estoril, Barcelona, Monte Carlo).

Andy Roddick vs David Nalbandian (US Open)
Nalbandian was just one point shy of upsetting Roddick in this blockbuster US Open semifinal. The Argentine dominated the encounter from the outset but failed to close out the match in the third set tie-break, allowing Roddick to set about an enthralling five-set comeback victory. The American showed his true colors at match point down in the third set tie-break, blasting down a 138mph service winner and never looked back, triumphing 6-7(4), 3-6, 7-6(7), 6-3, 6-1.

Andre Agassi vs Fernando Gonzalez (Washington)
Big-hitting Gonzalez came from a set and a break down to topple top-seeded Agassi in a dramatic three set encounter in the semifinals of the Legg Mason Tennis Classic in Washington. Gonzalez's comeback looked to be on course as he led 4-2 in the final set but another momentum swing saw Agassi break back to take the match to a decisive third set tie-break. Gonzalez pulled out some blistering winners when it mattered, sealing a classic encounter 3-6, 6-4, 7-6(5) to deny Agassi the chance to win a sixth Washington crown.

Jiri Novak vs Roger Federer (Gstaad)
Federer, who was coming off two grass-court title wins in Halle and Wimbledon, looked to be mastering the clay on home soil in Gstaad with consummate ease, as he looked to be headed to a third consecutive title. Novak had other ideas however, ending the Swiss star's 15-match winning streak with a shock 5-7, 6-3, 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 marathon win in two hours and 49 minutes. Novak had pulled off a similar upset in the Gstaad 2001 final, when he defeated Juan Carlos Ferrero.

Nicolas Lapentti vs Victor Hanescu (Davis Cup World Group Play-Off)
Lapentti headed into his match against Hanescu needing a win to keep his country alive in this World Group Play-Off tie in Quito. The No.1 Ecuadorian did just that - and how. To the delight of the home crowd, Lapentti outlasted Hanescu 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-7(5), 7-6(12), 6-3 to take the tie to a decisive fifth rubber. Romania finally edged the tie 7-5 in the fifth set of the fifth rubber to close the curtain on this memorable encounter. All five matches went to five sets and accounted for nearly 20 hours of play at 2,800 meters above sea-level.

MisterQ
12-02-2003, 03:33 PM
heya, I agree with you about tennis being WAY more exciting and interesting than golf. i can't figure out why it is surpassing tennis in terms of public interest (or maybe tiger is the answer...).

however, in terms of tiger's position within his sport, andy cannot even compare. this is not to diss andy, just to say that tiger is so extraordinary, he has raised the bar to a level that was considered impossible.

but tennis is the best, agreed 100%!

star
12-02-2003, 03:53 PM
Tiger has an appeal that is almost impossible to comprehend. It's beyond Michael Jordan even.

star
12-02-2003, 03:54 PM
But I only am interested in gold for Tiger and that swedish guy....... uh.. what's his name? Jeppeson? I like his clothes. Funny that I already liked him, and then I found out that he introduced Tiger to his girlfriend.

Deboogle!.
12-02-2003, 09:59 PM
Here's another article :)

New Balls dominated 2003
By Scott Riley, Sports Network Tennis Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Men's tennis may not be dominating the sports headlines these days, but the quality of play has never been better, led by the likes of "New Balls" stars Andy Roddick, Roger Federer and Juan Carlos Ferrero.

The American Roddick (U.S. Open), Swiss Federer (Wimbledon) and Spanish Ferrero (French Open) account for the last three Grand Slam titles and Ferrero was the only man to reach a pair of major finals this past season. New Balls also captured six of the nine Masters Series events, including a pair of lucrative wins for Roddick (Montreal and Cincinnati) and Ferrero (Monte Carlo and Madrid), and Federer corralled the season-ending Masters Cup.

Roddick officially arrived this year by claiming the Champions Race, the year- end No. 1 ranking and his first-ever Slam title, in Flushing. The Nebraska native was second only to Federer in titles (6) and match wins (72) in 2003, with most of his damage coming after he hired Brad Gilbert as his coach following a stunning opening-round loss at Roland Garros. Roddick's torrid play included a seemingly-unstoppable 19-match winning streak at one point.

The 21-year-old Roddick raced into at least the semifinals in three of the four Slams, including his running of the table at the U.S. Open, where be pasted Ferrero in the final at the USTA National Tennis Center.

Roddick's most-memorable match in '03 came in the Australian Open quarterfinals, when he survived amicable Moroccan Younes El Aynaoui in an epic five-setter that lasted just under 5 hours (4 hours, 59 minutes), including a classic 21-19 fifth set. Unfortunately for "A-Rod" he suffered a wrist injury that day and was not at 100 percent when he lost to determined German Rainer Schuettler in the semis Down Under.

The laser-serving Roddick would, however, go on to become the second-youngest year-end No. 1.

(CUT OUT THE NON-ANDY STUFF)

Even without Sampras the game is capable hands right now, with Agassi still rolling along and a budding great rivalry between Roddick and Federer. The sport also needs the controversial Hewitt to return to prominence and can only be helped with the emergence of more American stars, i.e. Mardy Fish, Taylor Dent, Robby Ginepri and James Blake. It would also be nice to see the former world No. 1 "Guga" (Gustavo Kuerten) regain the once-brilliant form that catapulted him to a trio of French Open crowns.

MisterQ
12-02-2003, 10:12 PM
from the article:
\
Even without Sampras the game is capable hands right now, with Agassi still rolling along and a budding great rivalry between Roddick and Federer.

Maybe it's sacreligious to say this in Andy's forum... but I think Andy needs to win a few more of these matches with Roger before it will be much of a rivalry. Right now Andre and Juan Carlos have more of a rivalry with Roger than Andy does. But I hope Andy will step it up!!!

Deboogle!.
12-02-2003, 11:50 PM
Definitely... I think with Brad as his coach it'll be different because he knows how Andy has to play to beat Roger (aka in Montreal and maybe it's me but I don't remember thinking he played that badly, or at least as badly as the 'haters' say he did). Personally I don't count Houston as a time when Roger beat Andy that badly because Andy was playing at about 20%. I expect it to change, and I agree it has to. I don't know why they like to call it such a rivalry, except that the contrast in playing styles is especially apparent between those two.

Deboogle!.
12-03-2003, 01:20 AM
Does anyone remember that Sampras-Agassi Nike commercial years ago when they both jumped out of a car to play tennis on the San Francisco streets? That's when audiences "discovered" their rivalry and tuned in by the millions to watch them play. If the ATP is smart, they will do similar ad campaings for the "new balls". I'd love to see that. :crazy:

Agreed 100% (per usual :p)

MisterQ
12-03-2003, 01:39 AM
Does anyone remember that Sampras-Agassi Nike commercial years ago when they both jumped out of a car to play tennis on the San Francisco streets? That's when audiences "discovered" their rivalry and tuned in by the millions to watch them play. If the ATP is smart, they will do similar ad campaings for the "new balls". I'd love to see that. :crazy:

I think a LOT of people would remember that ad! It was more than just an ad --- I think it culturally announced the rivalry to those who hadn't been playing attention. Of course it helped that at time Agassi was dressing as some crazy pirate and Sampras looked as straight-laced as could be. Great contrast, not to mention their games. And that was 1995, right? --- one of the first times that both Pete and Andre were No. 1 + 2, trading the top spot, and in top form at the same time for a good length of time.

Anyway, thanks for that memory! The ATP would be wise to hype such a rivalry in this way --- but unfortunately it's not completely clear who the top two are going to be out of this talented bunch!

Deboogle!.
12-03-2003, 01:58 AM
well it's different talking about the US crowd.... I doubt they'd pick Federer and Ferrero for a commercial to be shown in the US - that's just the way it is.

What about Roddick/Fish (assuming Fish keeps improving)? that could be awesome, esp. since they're friends.

Havok
12-03-2003, 02:14 AM
why do i not see a rivalry between Roddick/Federer, and i see one in Roddick/Ferrero. not that Andy can't hang with Roger and will lose every single time, but i think the Roddick/Ferrero matchups will be in abundance. anyways a rivalry between all the top guys would be awesome

star
12-03-2003, 02:34 AM
from the article:

Maybe it's sacreligious to say this in Andy's forum... but I think Andy needs to win a few more of these matches with Roger before it will be much of a rivalry. Right now Andre and Juan Carlos have more of a rivalry with Roger than Andy does. But I hope Andy will step it up!!!

I agree. So far Andy hasn't matched up well against Federer.

J. Corwin
12-03-2003, 03:26 AM
Well I think the Andy/Roger rivalry that the media is hyping up (and they hope) is mainly because they're both young, had breakthrough years, and have such contrasting games (emphasis on the last point).

Didn't Andre lead the head to heads against Pete a while back? Well Pete turned the tables so to speak. While they traded wins, it was Pete who won a good majority of the big matches. But it's still seen as the "Sampras-Agassi rivalry". I guess what I'm saying is Andy/Roger can still be a good rivalry even if it's one-sided. Of course Andy will have to win a bit more to even the ratio some.

What tennis needs is prime-time network TV commercials. Not just on ESPN, not just on Fox Sports, but on channels like NBC and Fox, even when tennis isn't covered on those channels (a la U.S. Open being covered by CBS).

MisterQ
12-03-2003, 05:03 AM
Didn't Andre lead the head to heads against Pete a while back? Well Pete turned the tables so to speak. While they traded wins, it was Pete who won a good majority of the big matches. But it's still seen as the "Sampras-Agassi rivalry". I guess what I'm saying is Andy/Roger can still be a good rivalry even if it's one-sided. Of course Andy will have to win a bit more to even the ratio some.

Federer is 5-1 against Roddick. After their first 6 matches, Agassi and Sampras were tied at 3-3. Agassi won the next match, so he briefly led the rivalry, but that was (ALAS) short-lived. He then fell behind, and started to catch up in 2000-2001 (at one point it was 17-14), but then Sampras won the last three *sigh* (think about it, those last three wins meant a lot, otherwise it would be 17-17! but 20-14 it is)

I'm only providing this info because your question made me curious -- not sure it means much. If Roddick wins the next match or two, that changes everything. The tables could turn.

Deboogle!.
12-03-2003, 05:12 AM
totally agreed MisterQ, their next couple of matches will be really important.

and Jackson, also totally agreed. Someone, not sure who, but someone needs to get tennis in the mainstream. CBS seems to be the only major network to even try and if it keeps failing, they'll stop soon too :(

tangerine_dream
12-03-2003, 06:36 PM
well it's different talking about the US crowd.... I doubt they'd pick Federer and Ferrero for a commercial to be shown in the US - that's just the way it is.

If they put all three in the same commercial, it would work.

And I disagree with the USTA who seem to think that Americans are *only* interested in seeing Americans play. This just isn't true. The problem is that they put all their eggs in one basket. If they insist on heavily promoting Andy but not the others, then what happens when Andy doesn't make it to a final? Who's gonna watch the final? No one, not because Andy's not in it, but because the USTA failed to promote the other guys, who are just as attractive, talented, and marketable as Andy is.

A great example is that Chinese basketball player Yao Ming. He was immediately put in some US commercials to get Americans acquainted with this new foreign player. Well, it worked. Now he's recognizable and marketable to the American basketball audience and he doesn't speak a lick of English. The USTA should do this with their players.

And I agree, I would love :hearts: to see a Roddick/Fish commerical too! Bet it would be hilarious.

heya
12-03-2003, 11:33 PM
The prob was even though Andy's fast and agile (he can do the splits!), he kept hesitating- didn't mix up his serve, attack the net and change pace enough.

There was always
something off court that prevented
him from focusing on court.
He lost against Federer because
he didn't have a game plan. Head to head records mean nothing when
on court changes aren't made- no matter who's playing.
Last year, he always had trouble with fitness and
strategy...looked like he really liked the U. S. Open but wasn't as enthusiastic everywhere else.

I felt, before Masters Cup,
Andy didn't want to conserve energy-he was just happy to just qualify. I'm erasing bad memories of all horrific Masters Cup matches.
#1 - hot semifinal- not hot
Don't mention McIngvale! Doh!

Next year,
he better play to his potential! This year was good-not great.
:(

tangerine_dream
12-04-2003, 12:54 AM
Heeey, guess who's on the cover of the December issue of TENNIS LIFE? :cool:

Apparently, this is the first national issue of TENNIS LIFE because I had not seen this magazine before. It was the last copy, too. Notice how the Andy covers tend to sell out? I can't even find a copy of TENNIS magazine with Andy and his trophy on the cover anymore. :D

Havok
12-04-2003, 12:59 AM
vamos cover-boy Andy:rocker2:

J. Corwin
12-04-2003, 01:06 AM
I need to get Tennis Life magazine. Tennis mag isn't enough lol.

Havok
12-04-2003, 01:13 AM
i get NO tennis magazines whatsoever:sad: i'm sure they're somewhere, but got no clue where

J. Corwin
12-04-2003, 01:18 AM
Aww. You can go to tennis.com and subscribe to TENNIS magazine. That's what I did, and I renew after each year. :)

tangerine_dream
12-04-2003, 01:30 AM
BTW, here's a link to that TENNIS LIFE story:

http://www.tennislifemagazine.com/NovDec03/NO03-andy.html

Deboogle!.
12-04-2003, 03:15 AM
thanks for the pic and the link, tangerine!!!

as for Tennis mag, it's a monthly mag so new issues have come out since Andy's cover story. I have it - I can scan the pics/article for you if you want.

Deboogle!.
12-04-2003, 04:07 AM
according to tennis.com, the USO issue was October, and the November/December cover story is the 10 greatest matches of all time

J. Corwin
12-04-2003, 05:30 AM
yep, I have those mags.

I truly do think the Roddick-El Aynaoui match in AO this year should have been one of the top 10 greatest matches of all time....but maybe I'm just biased...

J. Corwin
12-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the link tangerine. I read that article, as well as the Brad coaching (the "Yin-Yang") one. Nice reads.

Deboogle!.
12-04-2003, 01:40 PM
here's a nice one from a Maryland newspaper, about James and Andy
=======
Aces of hearts
Dreadlocks draw admiring glances from female fans of all ages to 24-year-old James Blake.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Stephanie Shapiro
Sun Staff
Originally published December 4, 2003

Those dreamy dreads.

That impish smile.

Forget their pro tour rankings or tennis titles, their powerful serves or backhand strokes.

Just who is hot, hotter, hottest on and off the court: James Blake or Andy Roddick? And where can you find posters of them shirtless?

When the two telegenic players take the court tonight in the Mercantile Tennis Challenge at 1st Mariner Arena, count on untold fans to marvel at the magnitude of their hunkitude, not their scorching aces or volleys.

"They are like rock stars," says Carly Van Hollen, who is a 14-year-old rising tennis player and freshman at St. Paul's School for Girls in Brooklandville. Rock stars in a sport, that, as Van Hollen laments, doesn't "get as much publicity" as football, baseball and other high-stakes professional pastimes.

Blake, 24, and Roddick, 21, well aware that they represent the future of tennis, are playing the game to a rock-star beat. Their sport's promoters are counting on their boy-band allure and global antics to sell the game to a wider, younger audience.

And the media's taking the "Backhand Boys" bait. People, Sports Illustrated for Women and Ebony have bestowed the two guys with multiple "sexiest" honors and are according them cross-over celebrity status.

Roddick, who won the U.S. Open last September, routinely makes the Teen People pages with his girlfriend, singer-actress Mandy Moore; has a milk mustache ad to his credit and recently was the host on Saturday Night Live. Next year, Roddick has signed on to The Tour, a reality show about his own life that is being pitched to the networks.

Blake has modeled for The New York Times Magazine and was a recent cover boy for GQ.

"They're not your typical tennis players," says Elizabeth O'Brien Moore, a senior writer for People who works on the magazine's "sexiest" roundups. "They're not your father's tennis players. They definitely brought MTV and a rock 'n' roll edge to tennis, which used to be very staid, like in Wimbledon and wearing white and bowing to the queen. These guys are shaking things up. That's sexy."

Young fans agree. "I think James Blake is actually really hot," says Kayte Granick, a 16-year-old sophomore at Garrison Forest School, during a break from tennis practice at Greenspring Racquet Club in Lutherville.

"I like Andy Roddick's hair. It's spiky," said Van Hollen. And, "He's dating Mandy Moore!"

Blake's unstellar record - one singles title and two doubles - doesn't faze Granick. "I'd still think he was really hot. I haven't seen him play that much."

Courtney McShane, 15, is another tennis player who roots for the cutest players when watching televised matches. Blake is "gorgeous," says McShane, a sophomore at Dulaney High School in Timonium. She clips photos of Blake and Roddick and displays them in her room, along with images of friends, family, other cute guys and tigers, because she's really into tigers.

And, "I'm really into the dreads," she says of Blake's hair.

Blake admiration has become a family affair. "I like his hair style. I like his playing style," says McShane's 12-year-old sister Erin, also a tennis player who attends Ridgely Middle School in Lutherville.

Their mom, Jolie McShane, concurs: "Oh, Blake, he's so cute!" When "he hits that ball, his feet leave the ground. It's so cool."

Guys relate, too. Tennis player Tim Cadet, 15, a Friends School sophomore, admires Blake as well. "He's cool. He's a unique guy. You don't usually see a guy with dreads on the court, says Cadet, who has dreads himself.

Nonplayers, as well, gravitate to the athletes. "It's not just that [Blake's] good-looking, because so is Pete Sampras," says Jada Jean Fletcher, a 28-year-old church secretary and aspiring graduate student who lives in North Baltimore. "I think the 'locs make him look funky and approachable, like the cutie you peeped at the mall. He just gives off a friendly vibe, not like the remote 'artiste' affectation some athletes give off."

"Both of these guys are young, handsome and personable," says L. Jon Wertheim, a Sports Illustrated writer who covers tennis and profiled Roddick last month.

While "other players go kicking and screaming to shake hands with sponsors for five minutes, you tell Andy and he blocks out a day for you," Wertheim says. There are "a lot of players who wouldn't be so keen on spending a December night in Baltimore."

Blake and Roddick are more than willing to be poster boys for their sport. "Basically what it is, you can no longer just be a tennis star," Wertheim says. "You have to be a tennis star and Saturday Night Live host and reality TV actor and model in The New York Times."

Referring to the high-voltage Williams sisters, Wertheim says that Roddick and Blake have taken a "page right out of the women's handbook." Even though, "qualitatively, men's tennis is much better," the women's tour "has these divas" who appear on award shows and receive international off-court exposure, Wertheim says.

Because tennis players don't have entire teams to help define their public identities, they must count on their individual appeal to be noticed by the public. "You are just sort of out there" and have to rely on appearance and personality as well as talent to make your mark, Wertheim says.

In the process, players such as Roddick and Blake have "made a very traditional, very old game new and exciting," Wertheim says.

If that means posing shirtless, Roddick is certainly up to the task. To be sure, he'll be well-rewarded for the effort. But, Wertheim says, Roddick's and Blake's enthusiasm is genuine. "They are young enough that they really do enjoy the game and lose themselves in the moment," he says. "The days of Bjorn Borg are gone, [and other players], who treat every victory and loss the same way. Fans like seeing their sports heroes showing their emotions."

Prophetic
12-04-2003, 03:12 PM
"Backhand boys"....lmfao

Deboogle!.
12-04-2003, 03:51 PM
also check out the article I posted in GM - mentions Andy a lot.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=7186

J. Corwin
12-04-2003, 04:51 PM
I'll check it out when I'm in the library. lol

And yes, I chuckled when I read "The Backhand Boys" lol

Prophetic
12-04-2003, 07:28 PM
that damn backhand boys thing...i feel a future avatar coming on, lmfao

J. Corwin
12-04-2003, 10:19 PM
I can't wait, lol

Deboogle!.
12-04-2003, 10:25 PM
I'm sure there will be a plethora of poorly-written small-time newspaper articles in the coming days.... Andy's going to fun places like Little Rock and Lexington Kentucky for exhibitions :p

J. Corwin
12-04-2003, 10:26 PM
Any of them televised that you know of?

Deboogle!.
12-04-2003, 10:32 PM
nope not that I know of :sad:

J. Corwin
12-04-2003, 10:34 PM
*pouts*

Deboogle!.
12-04-2003, 11:04 PM
yea, one is going to be Andy/Andre vs. Bryans in doubles and then a singles Andy v. Andre.... how awesome would that be to see!!

J. Corwin
12-04-2003, 11:16 PM
it definitely would be

Havok
12-05-2003, 01:54 AM
and then Andy and Andre r gonna team up with boyd tinsley, no idea of the spelling, and kalye kuoco for some dubs. my bet, Andy goes with dave mathews band dude. exo's would be really cool to watch

J. Corwin
12-05-2003, 04:52 AM
that's nice too

heya
12-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Relaxed Roddick plays, acts like No. 1
He tops Blake in 3 sets, has fun with tennis fans during match for charity
By Sandra McKee
Sun Staff

Andy Roddick, wearing a sweat suit and knit hat, looked relaxed. He was in town to play James Blake last night in the Mercantile Bank Tennis Challenge, and his surroundings were familiar.

Two years ago, Roddick, then a teenager with great expectations, was here to play superstar Andre Agassi. Now, back at 1st Mariner Arena, Roddick, the No. 1 player in the world, found himself the headline act in a match against his friend, No. 37 James Blake.

The two began by trying to outmuscle each other with warmup serves that had the crowd squealing. By the time they reached the fifth game of the opening set, it was apparent fans sitting in the end-zone seats - and even the lines people - had to be ready to duck at all times.

With fans yelping, one man protected himself with a baseball mitt, catching one of Roddick's howitzer-like serves that blew past Blake in the middle of that fifth game of the opening set. That drew a laugh. When the fan offered Blake his glove, Roddick got a mitt from a fan behind him and he and Blake played a game of catch. Blake won that game as Roddick fumbled.

The tennis game, however, went to Roddick, 6-1, 2-6, 6-2.

"It would have been nice to beat the world No. 1," Blake said. "But this was a great crowd and a lot of fun. I learned some things I can use next year. Andy's a great player."

Blake's first break of serve came in the second set after a young female fan held up a sign asking Roddick to take her to the prom. "I'm too old," he yelled, expressing his sadness.

Later, a fan yelled, "We love you, James." That prompted Roddick to yell, "I love you, too, James."

Blake cracked up.

"You want to go to the prom with me?" he asked Roddick.

It was playful. It was fun.

It has been a funny kind of year for Roddick. Before the match, he talked about what a surprise it is to him to have reached No. 1 after just four years on tour.

"It is funny," he said. "I never thought about being No. 1. Really. Before I was even in the Top 30, people were projecting me to be No. 1. It seemed like a long, uphill battle to me."

And then, all at once he was there. That was funny because it did happen fast - winning his first Grand Slam tournament at the U.S. Open in September and then backing it up by climbing to No. 1 at the season-ending Master's event in Houston last month.

"It happened fast, but at the same time, when I lost at the French Open, everyone said it was happening too slow," said Roddick, 21. "I definitely didn't expect this going into the year."

Pam Shriver, Baltimore's retired Hall of Famer, may not have expected Roddick to be No. 1 at the start of this year, either. But she had the foresight to book him in the spring.

"We knew at the beginning of last year Andy could be the lead player for our event," Shriver said. "But if Andy had had a mediocre summer, it would be a totally different event. But he won the U.S. Open, he did Saturday Night Live, he reached No. 1. It's our breakout year. Some years you don't get it, some you do. We deserve it."

The biggest crowd to attend this 18-year-old event, which prior to this year had raised $3.1 million for children's charities, was 10,000. That was the year Roddick played Agassi. Last night, Shriver said, depending on the walk-up ticket sales, it could be more than that and looking around the arena, it looked like more than that.

Fans were excited from the moment they entered the building, surrounding the court to watch Roddick and Blake hit with ferocity in warmups.

"I think I can be a better player," Roddick said. "I think I can be a lot fitter. I think that's important. I even have a full-time trainer living at my house with me. We have workouts twice a day."

It might seem Roddick started working harder after the French Open. It was there, after an early round loss, that he decided to change coaches and hire Brad Gilbert. But Roddick said Gilbert changed only his focus, not his work ethic.

"Overall, things became more relaxed," he said. "Instead of focusing on what I was doing wrong, we worked on what I can do well."

Shriver said her respect for Roddick climbed to new heights when he won the U.S. Open.

"I think Brad was the perfect coach at the perfect time for Andy," she said. "But, at the same time, it's still the player, no matter who is influencing you off the court. It was Andy who fought off that match point against [David] Nalbandian to make it to the finals, and I'll never forget the way he served out the match for his first major - all service winners and a couple of aces.

"My respect for him went through the roof. I can still be a little cynical until someone does it - I couldn't do it."

Do I have to keep repeating:
I love when the players tease each other?!

Prophetic
12-05-2003, 12:53 PM
Later, a fan yelled, "We love you, James." That prompted Roddick to yell, "I love you, too, James."

Blake cracked up.

"You want to go to the prom with me?" he asked Roddick.

^^LMGDFAO!! I'd love to have witnessed that, lol

tangerine_dream
12-05-2003, 02:23 PM
Man! Too bad the Andre/Andy exhibition game isn't being televised. :sobbing: The tickets are selling like crazy.

http://www.southern.usta.com/NEWS/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=42903&itype=968&icategoryid=192

Deboogle!.
12-05-2003, 02:37 PM
http://www.sunspot.net/media/photo/2003-12/10495769.jpg

Havok
12-05-2003, 05:19 PM
:eek: hark! do i see a new outfit, and not that white w/ blue stripe???? speaking of new outfits
http://av.tennis-warehouse.com/big/RMRDC-big.jpg
:banana:

Deboogle!.
12-05-2003, 05:21 PM
is it definitely a line for Andy? It's not bad but it's still a frumpy tshirt

Havok
12-05-2003, 05:57 PM
well it's listed in his apparel when you clikc on him at the tennis warehouse website. and the frumpiness can be depleted is he wore his size;)

Deboogle!.
12-05-2003, 05:59 PM
lol well good, maybe we'll have a few new outfits this year ;) re: the size thing, yea.. LOL

J. Corwin
12-05-2003, 07:49 PM
Nice article again Heya!

And finally something new he wears, lol.
Kinda standard and bland looking though, IMO.

Havok
12-05-2003, 07:56 PM
well as long as he's got some color on, and not white/grey like he did 1st quarter 2003:o it's fine with me.

heya
12-05-2003, 08:18 PM
They should make a male cat suit! *meow*

Deboogle!.
12-05-2003, 08:19 PM
um..... NO THEY SHOULDN'T! LOL!!

Havok
12-05-2003, 08:29 PM
:haha:
heck no, it was bad enough to see it on Serena:scared:

heya
12-05-2003, 08:32 PM
The shirt and shorts are too big.

Deboogle!.
12-05-2003, 08:33 PM
I'm with Naldo, the t-shirts would be ok if they were like one size smaller... oh well whatever we can't love everything about him ;)

J. Corwin
12-05-2003, 08:39 PM
A cat suit would be horrible. Hell no. Can you imagine how many people would jump on him (not literally/physically lol) if he were to do that? As if there aren't enough Andy detractors already.

heya
12-05-2003, 08:40 PM
OK...I'm purrrfectly crazy
How about blue shirt and red/white shorts (to bother the anti-U. S. fans)?

J. Corwin
12-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Just to annoy them? naw

Havok
12-05-2003, 09:00 PM
OK...I'm purrrfectly crazy
How about blue shirt and red/white shorts (to bother the anti-U. S. fans)?
he's already done that. i actually like Andy in vibrant colors, like he was in the summer hardcourt swing of 2002. and for the catsuit, it won't bode well for his package down there, it will be very uncomfortable, you can only imagine (hypathetically speaking, not like i wore a catsuit :lol: )

heya
12-05-2003, 09:06 PM
Not only fans, but anyone who unreasonably trash him will LOVE seeing his clothes

2002's bright colors were marvelous harharharhar

heya
12-05-2003, 09:08 PM
*looks around innocently* Package! I thought I saw something even with the baggy shorts!

MisterQ
12-05-2003, 11:11 PM
LOL andy in a catsuit would be a very bizarre and somewhat troubling sight!

As for the package issue, let's just say that a tight catsuit wouldn't be his style. He's no diver or bicyclist.

J. Corwin
12-06-2003, 12:16 AM
Nor is he a ballerina type...

Deboogle!.
12-06-2003, 02:59 PM
I didn't know Andy and Andre did an event in Louisiana last night too... they're in Little Rock tonight. Andy losing again to Andre though.... :o

Tennis match more about fun than play

Roddick, Agassi helped raise charity money

Saturday December 06, 2003

By Benjamin Hochman
Staff writer

Wimbledon clashed with Generation Y in a tennis exhibition Friday as two of America's top players competed amid a raucous crowd of tennis fans and squealing girls. Andy Roddick and Andre Agassi played in a two-set matinee at Municipal Auditorium, showcasing the best serve in tennis (Roddick) and the best returner in tennis (Agassi).

But the afternoon wasn't as much about the game as it was (a) charity (b) celebrity (c) comedy; the match raised money for the Emeril Lagasse Foundation as the more than 4,000 fans gawked at the superstars who put on a memorable show.

By the way, Agassi won the two sets, 7-6, 6-3.

"The crowd had a lot of energy to them," said Agassi, formerly the world's No. 1-ranked player. "And competing against Andy is a great thing, because it brings out the best. You have to be sharp. And that's what entertainment is, two people competing, trying to win."

"It gives you a chance to kind of show a different side of you to the crowd," said the 21-year-old Roddick, the current No. 1 player in the world and a teen idol.

A house divided split its passion for the two likable stars. But the passion was bountiful. Fans shrieked and screamed as the players grunted and groaned during their rallies.

Between play, younger fans periodically harmonized -- "We love you Andy!" Not to be outdone, some older fans, more subdued but still starry-eyed, showed their love for the seasoned star -- "We love you Andre!"

During play, the players showcased what's earned them a combined eight Grand Slam singles titles. Agassi's famous resilience came to life even in a meaningless exhibition, as the 33-year-old grinded out points with his opponent, 12 years his junior, winning many rallies. And Roddick's serve regularly bested 110 mph and occasionally ricocheted off the bleachers behind Agassi. The ball girls were to stand stoically behind the players and only interact when necessary, but when one ball girl was struck with an errant Roddick serve, she broke character and smiled, waving to the two players who expressed concern for her safety.

Before the marquee match, the two stars were teamed up with a pair of local stars in a doubles exhibition straight out of Melissa Mang and Taylor Fogleman's fantasies. The two 16-year-olds are New Orleans' best juniors, but Friday they were humbled by tennis aristocracy.

"It's definitely an experience of a lifetime," said Mang, the No. 7 player in the country 18 years old or younger, who teamed with Roddick. "I'll never forget it. Every minute of it was just great."

In one shining moment, Mang drilled a serve to Agassi, who helplessly stuck his racket out and barely avoided the ace by tapping the ball to the side.

"And he's the best returner in the world -- ever," she said. "It was incredible. I think he was a little ticked after that, though."

On Mang's ensuing serve to the former gold medalist, Agassi vengefully spanked the ball back past Roddick and Mang with a sheepish grin on his face.

Agassi and Fogleman proceeded to win, and Fogleman said he still hasn't woken up.

"It's a dream," he said.

And when the day was over, fans flooded the perimeter of the court, begging for an autograph or at least a glimpse of Mandy Moore and Steffi Graf's men.

"I love Andy," screeched 15-year-old Raine Rafferty, wearing a T-shirt that read, "I love Andy." "We heard a rumor that he and Mandy broke up. Tell him Raine Rafferty really will take her place."

While the rumor wasn't true, Rafferty still loved Andy. It was as though this guy could do no wrong -- until he was asked by an interviewer over the public address system: "You're in New Orleans -- Who's your pick in the LSU-Georgia game?"

Roddick paused, and then said, "Well, my brother went to Georgia. . . ."

MisterQ
12-06-2003, 03:19 PM
During play, the players showcased what's earned them a combined eight Grand Slam singles titles.

LOL, that would be NINE GS titles!

Thanks for that article. Sounds like it was a fun event!

Deboogle!.
12-06-2003, 03:23 PM
yea it does!! So does the little rock one

the little rock paper has a few articles but you have to be a subscriber to access them :mad:

Deboogle!.
12-06-2003, 03:26 PM
Here's another from a couple days ago from the NO Times-Picayune, but make sure it doesn't make it up to GM, we don't need more proof of PMac's lips attached to Andy's ass than we already have ;)
=========
Roddick the ultimate hot-shot tennis player

U.S. Open champion to face Agassi here in exhibition match

Thursday December 04, 2003

By Benjamin Hochman
Staff writer

Gaga. He'll make you just go gaga. Doubt him? Watch him.

If you're a sports fan, your jaw will drop at his powerful tennis serve, which flirts with 150 mph. If you're a teenaged girl with a "Total Request Live" shriek or an adult woman with a minivan and an imagination, you'll still get misty-eyed for one of People Magazine's "Sexiest Men Alive."

His name is Andy Roddick, U.S. Open champion and celeb du jour, and he's coming to New Orleans on Friday.

Roddick, dubbed "the next Andre Agassi" during his junior tennis days, will take on his nick-namesake in an exhibition at the Morris F.X. Jeff Municipal Auditorium at 12:30 p.m. Roddick, 21, has revitalized tennis, a sport with its monotonous parity and its international "Whatshisnames?," a sport that had lost its cool in the minds of some American fans.

"Tennis needs a kick in the butt," said Patrick McEnroe, the U.S. Davis Cup captain. "It's an exciting time because I think Andy's got a great personality in addition to being a great player. That's what you need in a sport like tennis if you're not football, basketball or baseball. It's sometimes hard to get attention. I think Andy realizes that he has a lot to give, and that tennis needs him."

"He's like the male Kournikova -- with the exception that he's No. 1," said Julie Jordan, People magazine's associate Los Angeles bureau chief.

While Anna Kournikova stormed into the public eye because of her beauty and athleticism, Roddick is a tremendous tennis player who happens to be attractive.

So when Roddick solidified his talent, winning his first major in September, the media floodgates opened. Roddick, anyone? Check out the "Got Milk" ad campaign. "The Today Show." Letterman. He even hosted "Saturday Night Live."

"I definitely think he's good for tennis because we have a lot of fans now, but there are certain categories," Tulane tennis player Julie Smekodub said. "Like -- people who only play tennis, those are the people who watch. But now that he goes on "Saturday Night Live," and he's fairly good-looking, he's bringing a new crowd to tennis."

"He obviously enjoys being in the spotlight and is comfortable with it," Jordan said. "He's a cutie, that's for sure. . . . And he is a complete sensation on the tennis court. It's not often you find someone so young who also has that power and that's kind of a sexy combination. Plus, he's got Mandy Moore on his arm."

Oh yes, Mandy Moore. No celebrity Frankenstein would be complete without a sultry songstress at his side. For about a year-and-a-half the two pop stars have been going, well, gaga, over one another. Meanwhile, their fans are happy for them, albeit jealous. "No one is sending me their underwear," Moore told the Chicago Sun Times.

On his other arm is his racket. His first love. Roddick, born in Nebraska, was transplanted to Florida where he blossomed from a scrappy up-and-comer to a towering sensation. But by not forgetting where he comes from, Roddick has excelled, McEnroe said. And he's not talking about Nebraska.

"He never was very tall as a kid, so he had to work exceptionally hard as a junior player," McEnroe said. "Then, at 15, 16, he spurted, and all of a sudden he had a huge serve. So he really has the mentality of a grinder, a guy who has to battle. That's probably the biggest reason why he's No. 1 in the world."

But that serve. Roddick's serve has epitomized the tennis era of uber-rackets, weightlifting and expert coaching (Roddick's coach is Brad Gilbert, Agassi's former right-hand man). Then throw in the fact that Roddick is 6 feet 3, and it suddenly makes sense why he set a U.S. Open record with 123 aces.

"It's pretty nasty," McEnroe said of the serve heard 'round Flushing Meadows. "I've tried to return a couple of them, and I've seen some big serves in my day whether it was my brother (John McEnroe), Ivan Lendl, Pete Sampras. I think the key for Andy is that his second serve is so good. A lot of players have big first serves that can hit a lot of aces, but his second serve wins him almost as many points as his first. And that's really intimidating. That allows him to go for big first serves most of the time. . . .

"Andy rarely double faults, and his second serve is one of his toughest to return. I think Gilbert helped him a lot in that department. I think it's something he'll continue to work on."

Roddick, who secured his year-end No. 1 ranking in mid-November at the Master's Cup, is quintessentially 21. He revels in the MTV show "Jackass." There's even talk that he's going to have his own reality show. He listens to hip-hop music, much to the distress of his Davis Cup coach, who prefers classic rock. And he dresses like an Abercrombie and Fitch advertisement, with his shirt untucked, his jeans torn and his hair tousled.

But he's the future of tennis. Sure there are other young stars, namely Juan Carlos Ferrero, Roger Federer and Lleyton Hewitt. But the competition is what fuels Roddick.

"The key is that he's an unbelievable competitor, and he wants to get better," McEnroe said. "There are a lot of things in his game that can improve. And he's No. 1 in the world. . . . I expect him to be around the top for the next 10 years."

And just maybe, he'll be around long enough to make the cover of People's "Sexiest Man Alive" issue.

"He's absolutely a contender for a future 'Sexiest Man,' " Jordan said. "We'll keep a close watch on him."

tangerine_dream
12-06-2003, 06:34 PM
I love all these obscure article you find, bunk! Thanks for posting them. :yeah:

Wouldn't it be wild if Andy become the first non-actor to win the "Sexiest Man Alive" title? I should write to People mag and request it. ;) :bounce:

Anyways, did you all see this at the ATP site? There's a new article about the five rivalries to watch next year and lo and behold, guess who Andy's rival is?

Roger Federer vs Andy Roddick

Roddick and Federer both had outstanding seasons in 2003 and have made themselves the men to watch in 2004. While Roddick finished the year as World No. 1, it was Federer who stole the show at the Tennis Masters Cup Houston, making his intentions clear for 2004. These two young guns have the makings for a classic rivalry for years to come, with Roddick's high-tempo aggressive play coming in strong contrast to Federer's silky smooth stroke play and calm demeanor. And while it may be too soon for comparisons with Borg and McEnroe's legendary rivalry, the ingredients are certainly there.

So far in their young careers, it is Federer who was come out strongest. The Swiss leads 5-1 in their head-to-head series with the standout match undoubtedly coming with Federer's straight sets defeat of Roddick in the Wimbledon semifinals. Roddick, however, got the measure of the Swiss a few weeks later, defeating him in the Montreal semifinals in three tight sets. The scene is now set for these two to battle it out in their quest for tennis world supremacy.

-----

Do you guys agree that Roger will be Andy's biggest threat next year? I think so. I also think, if Lleyton Hewitt comes roaring back and is his old self again, he'll also pose a problem for Andy. But then again, Andy has changed and improved his game so much this past year that Llyeton may be shocked to find he's not playing the same Andy he used to! :eek:

Deboogle!.
12-06-2003, 06:41 PM
You're welcome :) I get news alerts so I don't even have to go searching for them hehe

As for Andy's biggest problem players.... he'll have a lot of them. Nalby won't give up (though it might scare him to reinjure his wrist every time they play lmgdfao), Ferrero will certainly want revenge for the USO, Federer will always cause a problem for Andy until he improves his all-court game, and Hewitt, well I don't know since I've never actually seen any of their matches. Andy can, and has, beaten people a lot like Hewitt though, so I think that's only a matter of time and he beat Pete twice too for that matter who people say Roger is most similar to (albeit at the end of Pete's career and on clay LMAO).

Point is, Andy's at the top so he's Public Enemy #1. If he can do well in Doha and add a few points' padding to his ranking, that will be very crucial. And of course his AO draw will be big. Thankfully he and Fed will be on opposite sides, but where floaters like Henman, Lleyton, Safin, Ferrero, Nalby fall in the draw will be huge. Plus, people are learning how to return his serve and obviously that will give him a lot of trouble if everyone on the tour suddenly starts stabbing back his serves just to get them into play - it'll take a lot of his cheap points away.

*sigh* I really don't know

Deboogle!.
12-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Another article from Kentucky

Posted on Sat, Dec. 06, 2003

TENNIS
UK coach recalls young Roddick
EMERY'S SON FACED WORLD'S TOP PLAYER
By Mark Maloney
HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

Dennis Emery, University of Kentucky men's tennis coach, remembers sending off his son, Matt, for his first overseas competition at age 16.

Matt, now 20, was to be supervised by a woman named Blanche, who was accompanying her son Andy, a rising junior who was the only other American playing on the 31/2-week tour of Hong Kong and Japan.

"It meant a lot to me that they would do it because Andy didn't have to do it," Dennis Emery said. "It wasn't like Matt was the next great star either.

"But that was the thing that really got Matthew going, was being able to go over there and be around Andy when Andy was ranked up there in the top 15 in the world. And to see how hard Andy worked and everything. I think that was a big difference-maker in Matthew's young career."

Neither Emery realized at the time how far Andy Roddick would rise.

"Not someone you would pick out and say, 'Well, OK. Here's the next great American,' " Dennis Emery said.

That's Andy Roddick, now 21 and ranked No. 1 in the world. U.S. Open champion. Man with a 147 mph serve. Thirteen career titles (11 singles, two doubles). With $5.14 million in winnings, including $3.27 million this year.

Roddick will meet James Blake in an exhibition, the Lexus Tennis Classic, Sunday night in Rupp Arena.

Soon after their Asian tour, Andy Roddick and Matt Emery faced each other in a December competition. Matt lost -- 6-1, 7-6, he thinks.

"I had some set points. It was actually pretty close," he said. "I just remember that he had a huge serve. I had a lot of trouble returning that.

"And I remember that he had a huge forehand. Not nearly as big as now. But then I was maybe 5-7 or something, and his serves were bouncing over my head."

By the following February, Roddick had reached No. 1 in the world junior rankings and turned pro.

The booming serve and forehand were nowhere to be found when the families first crossed paths.

The Emerys had a Dominican house guest, Jonny Murray (now playing No. 1 singles for Temple), who beat 12-year-old Andy Roddick in the finals of a tournament in Cincinnati.

Two years later, Roddick beat Matt Emery in the Easter Bowl at Palm Springs, Calif. Roddick also beat Emery 6-3, 7-6 in the Eddie Herr Championships at Bradenton, Fla.

"He was a little guy, and thin, and was really more of a retrieving-type baseline player who didn't have a big serve," Dennis Emery said of the young Roddick. "He was not a really aggressive player. ... When he was 17, 18, he just really went through a big growth spurt, got up to 6-2 and just started really clobbering his serve. His game just really took off at that."

An aspect of Roddick's future game was clear, though.

"Even at that age, he was the most competitive guy out there," Dennis Emery said. "It just crushed him to lose.

"And always thought real highly of himself. No matter where he was ranked, those things really didn't seem to matter to him. He really is someone who had a clear plan of 'this is where I want to end up.' So it's kind of fun to see him get to where he always talked about being when he was 12, 13, 14 years old.

"He is someone who has made it through an incredible amount of hard work."

Matt, a Lexington Christian graduate, is majoring in communications at UK, with a minor in business. He has not given up hope of making a Roddick-like jump. But he isn't counting on it.

"I hope to do that," he said. "But that's ... really hard to do. That's like 1 percent of a million or something. I'm going to try but, if not, I'll always have my degree."

Havok
12-06-2003, 07:13 PM
ah bunk but people just now have realized they have to block back his serves, and as far as i know, only 2 people have done this with success (federer and henman). everyone else can't do it as good as those 2. and because some people have just realized this, it's also new to Andy and he's gotta get used to it. and Andy will have a boatload of threats, pretty much everyone in the top 10, with the exception of maybe 2-3 players, BUT all these players who cause a threat to Andy will also be causing a threat to eachother.

Deboogle!.
12-06-2003, 07:27 PM
yea Naldo that's why it could a problem - people are just realizing it LOL!! It's not just Fed and Henman..... that's what David does, Ljubicic tried to do it, that's pretty much what Massu did in Madrid, etc.

Notice I said it's not GOING to be a problem but it COULD be a problem. If Brad's as good as he says he is and if Andy's as committed to improving as he says he is, it won't be an issue because the rest of his game will improve and they'll be able to compensate.

Havok
12-06-2003, 07:40 PM
oops sorry. but yes it is a little problem now, but brad will teach him and andy will learn. also being a better transition player will help here.

MisterQ
12-06-2003, 07:45 PM
yeah, the only person who seems able to take a good swing at Andy's serve is Andre. (149 mph --- no problem!)

For others, blocking it back seems the best approach----- Federer, Nalbandian, El Aynaoui, for example.

Deboogle!.
12-06-2003, 07:45 PM
yep... he'll have to or it'll be more than a couple matches that he'll lose because of it.

I also HATE how he stands SO far back... I know people think it's Brad's miracle work but I hate how it puts Andy on the defensive being so far back.

MisterQ
12-06-2003, 07:49 PM
yep... he'll have to or it'll be more than a couple matches that he'll lose because of it.

I also HATE how he stands SO far back... I know people think it's Brad's miracle work but I hate how it puts Andy on the defensive being so far back.

Yeah, this is an interesting point. Andy doesn't take the ball as early as an Agassi or Federer, so would it do him good to move into the court more? It might not enable him to take as good a swing at the ball. On the other hand, you are totally right, he can get pinned in the back and it's tougher to get to the net when you are stuck back there.

So I'm not sure of the answer myself... But I suspect his game will improve if he can master taking the ball a little earlier and standing a little closer.

Havok
12-06-2003, 08:09 PM
yeah i don't like the standing in the crowd to retunr the serve location as well. but as MisterQ has said, Andy isn't good yet at taking the ball early. so moving him back was Brad's doing because he hasn't tinkered with his game yet. so moving him back was a way to sort of hide the deficiency. i don't think he'll be standing that far back forever:lol:

Deboogle!.
12-06-2003, 08:20 PM
yea I assume it was a quick fix til the end of the season until they can work on his return (which certainly needs it lol)

I mean what's ultimately great is that Andy won a slam and got to #1 with a game that's FAR from perfect. So the room for improvement is limitless

J. Corwin
12-06-2003, 09:00 PM
Mandy as a "sultry songstress". lol..not sure if I agree.

J. Corwin
12-06-2003, 09:03 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I'm a bit skeptical on how much Andy really can improve over the off-season. I know that Brad said he has some hardcore regimented training planned. But I see taking the ball early as something natural, like a natural talent...which Andy doesn't have in that respect. He can work on it obviously.

Standing so back will hurt him on numerous occassions, especially on clay when opponents will try to drop shot him more often. Andy almost never gets to those with success (to win the point).

Deboogle!.
12-06-2003, 09:14 PM
Oh I know what you mean Jace... i mean it's only 6 weeks, but the way Brad stepped in right before a tournament and then things went pretty much non-stop from Queens on, Brad hasn't had the chance to change much of ANYTHING. So anything they can work on will be helpful...hopefully they pick one or two of the major things and work on those this time around and just try to keep working on as much as possible, fitness-wise too.

I'd say being able to anticipate the ball and take it early is pretty natural - otherwise everyone would work on it because the return is certainly important and everyone would like to have a good one! But I'm sure there are things Andy can improve so that he can get the job done without standing SO FAR BACK... I mean he was standing far back for guys without big serves too, not just people like Ljubicic or whatever.

Re: drop shots.... omg remember the DC Beck match? I don't remember the statistic but it was something like 12/14 successful drop shots :eek:

J. Corwin
12-06-2003, 09:33 PM
The non-stop from Queens on basically shows that the success was a lot of Andy's own doing, and not much of help from Brad from the technical aspect. So far it's been more of a mental influence for him.

The thing for Andy is that he doesn't have nearly the racket speed of Andre's, for example. Andy takes a bigger swing cuz he needs the time to accelerate through the ball. Andre's swings are very short and compact in comparison.

What I think he can/should work on the most over the off-season is his approach shots and volleys. He needs to shorten up the points, cuz even though he has improved on some consistency in baseline rallies, I feel as if he donates too many free points from errors sometimes.

I remember the DC Beck match. In fact, that was the match I was thinking of when I typed the drop shots thing up. ;)

Deboogle!.
12-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Yea, he loves that forehand sitter into the net shot :rolleyes:

Anyway, yes it was mostly mental and obviously that's important and it's great that the tennis that got him through that amazing summer was his (Tarik's).... but I still expect Brad to help tinker with aspects of his game in the off-season. I agree about approach/volley - definitely one of the bigger areas. But I'd say working on an alternative to standing so far back is a BIGGIE too

J. Corwin
12-06-2003, 10:37 PM
Yep..move closer onto the baseline to force the issue more in the baseline groundstroke rallies. And gotta take more advantage of that huge serve by following it in more often. It'll be easier (after getting more used to it) and conserve more energy.

Havok
12-07-2003, 05:11 AM
yeah more serve/volley points will do him some good. and he's doing it quite a bit and isn't afraid. i like how he uses the serve/volley points when he's stuck in a hole and throws it in to surprise his opponents. everything in Andy's game needs work, it's impossible that someone has a perfect shot. and i think fitness is the most important because if Andy's gonna constantly be on a roll with Brad for the whole entire year:eek: fitness imo is one of the most important because you don't have to worry about the length of the matches, and all that stuff. and for taking the ball early, anticipation, etc, yes the majority of that is based on natural talent, but working on it as well won't hurt. i mean i don't expect him to return like Agassi point in point out, but he's able to return awesome shots, ever since he's been working with Brad and he's got confidence, i see at least 2-4 Agassi-like returns from him per match he plays:eek: as long as Andy remains mentaly tough and is fitt, he'll do fine and when you are winning matches and your confidence is high, even your crappiest shots are being hit fairly well. mind you i don't expect an extreme makeover of Andy next year, but some definite improvement. yeah it's only 6 months, but imo Brad is really gonna get into andy's mind and make him think more out there, which will help him tremendously no matter how good/bad his shots are

star
12-07-2003, 02:01 PM
I don't know how much of a technician Brad is. When he began coaching Andre, Andre had all the skills he needed to be a top player, but he didn't know how to play the game. Brad taught him to play percentage tennis and to maximize his strenghts. I don't think Brad helped Agassi technically at all.

From working with Agassi, Brad has seen how much fitness pays off, so I'm sure he sees that as important for Andy.

What Andy can gain over the next 6 weeks if he dedicates himself (and I think that is a question mark) is increased mobility and quickness. Andy is no speed demon and if he wants to improve his volley and getting to dropshots, he's got to increase his foot speed. Andy appears leaden footed many times. You can see this when you compare him to Federer, Ferrero, Hewitt, or Coria. Those players seems to have feathers for feet. They are light and quick. For them, I am sure they are simply gifted, but Andy can overcome some of his deficit with training. He'll never be like those players, but then again, they will never be like Andy either. :)

Deboogle!.
12-07-2003, 02:15 PM
I totally agree star, quickness is very important for Andy, and I'm sure it's one of the things they're working on .... well at least I hope so!

Deboogle!.
12-07-2003, 02:25 PM
oh and as for Andy articles, there are a couple at the Arkansas Little Rock paper (with pics even, I think :() but you have to be a subscriber to access anything online.... they suck!!!!!!

heya
12-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Andy didn't lose 6-0 like Agassi, right? :p

This is all about variety. I can't really compare anybody
6'3" 190 lbs with a guy who's 5'11"-6'1" 175 lbs.
From what I've seen, speed and quick hands were more common with the smaller guys, but without anticipation, great serve, energy conservation and focus, you're not
gonna be a dominant player.
Andre may run faster than Pete, but Pete knew how
to play him..started conservatively, slowly wore down Andre and smacked him most of the time.

heya
12-07-2003, 03:33 PM
Maybe till last year, he was still growing,
and he's only beginning to develop his strengths.
2001- 6'2" 180 lbs 2002- 6'3" 190 lbs
The other guys in the top 10 didn't have to deal
with so much physical changes and media hyping.

I might be wrong, but Andy seems to be a late
bloomer who has a lot of natural talent
that many people don't see. I think he's going to be a great player. Skeptics always talk about his
weaknesses and about how Andre, Fed, David, Hewitt, Safin...are far better.
Andy hasn't played near his best like they have. He's more raw. Before this year, he
didn't have pre-game plans like his opponents had
when they played him. He said he didn't have much confidence last year.

After he prepared better, the self-esteem and wins came back. If Andy hadn't improved
so much, I wouldn't be so interested in his progress. We've witnessed some of the great
matches he had, even back in 2001...
there'll be more fantastic slam final wins and longevity, IMO.

star
12-07-2003, 04:18 PM
It's like Andre says: If you aren't getting better every day, you are actually falling behind. :)

Deboogle!.
12-07-2003, 05:17 PM
It's like Andre says: If you aren't getting better every day, you are actually falling behind. :)

Absolutely!

Deboogle!.
12-07-2003, 05:37 PM
Here's the article from the Little Rock paper... lol

Little Rock-n-Racquets Report
By Chris Givens

Pressure piled on by Agassi

As if playing tennis in front of 10,000 people wasn’t tough enough, how about playing against a guy who’s won 58 career singles titles and is in a trash-talking mood?
Little Rock’s Todd Robinson, who’s just above a beginner level, earned the opportunity to play with Andy Roddick and Andre Agassi in the celebrity doubles match at the Little Rock-n-Racquets in Alltel Arena by winning a local tournament.
When he was putting some mustard on a serve to Agassi, he got some attitude in return.
"Come on, you’re not going to get it past me," Agassi said.
"That’s a little nervewracking," Robinson said afterward. "Makes it a little tough. Agassi is bigger than life."
Robinson missed the next two serves badly.

Best seats

Greg Black gave his son Chris a Christmas present neither will likely forget.
Chris is a 17-year-old tennis player from Arab, Ala. When Greg learned of Little Rock-n-Racquets through the Internet, he bought tickets for himself and his son.
Audrey D’Onofrio, who is in charge of public relations for the event, arranged for the Blacks to meet and hang out with Roddick and Agassi before the match after receiving an e-mail from Greg thanking her for bringing the event to the South.
Greg kept it a secret from Chris until moments before the meeting.
"I had no idea about this," Chris said. "When they told me that Andy and Andre were going to be here in seven minutes, I was speechless."
The Blacks drove seven hours to attend the event.
"It would have been worth the drive anyway," Chris said. "Now this is incredible."

Worst seats
When are front-row seats the worst seats in the house?
When Andy Roddick is serving at your head.
David and Lisa Phillips of Little Rock thought they scored great tickets when Stephens Inc., David’s employer, handed them frontrow tickets behind the baseline. Then Roddick drilled a 133 mph serve that hit a barrier inches from Lisa’s head.
"I would have had no teeth!" Lisa said. "These are bad seats!"
The Phillips aren’t fainthearted. They watched the entire event courtside.
"We’ll just be a little more aware now," David said.

Out of sight...

Pop star Mandy Moore might want to keep an eye on her boyfriend.
After actress Kaley Cuoco, the young, blond vixen from the television sitcom 8 Simple Rules..., smashed a backhand volley right at Roddick, Agassi made an observation.
"She’s coming right after you, Andy," Agassi said.
"Oh yeah, she can come after me whenever she wants," Roddick replied.
And no, Moore was not in attendance. She is in Europe shooting a movie.

Best shot
With Agassi serving in the celebrity match, Roddick decided to up the stakes.
The bet: if Agassi could hit Roddick’s racket, about 18 inches long and 8 inches wide, without Roddick having to move it, the point would belong to Agassi.
"Sure," Agassi said, "how fast do you want it?" Roddick told him to hit it 112 mph.
The serve came and hit Roddick’s racket just above the handle.
The speed? 112 mph exactly.

And from a person who was there: "Team Agassi won the celebrity team challenge, Andy and Andre won the doubles, and Andre won the singles!"

MisterQ
12-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Best shot
With Agassi serving in the celebrity match, Roddick decided to up the stakes.
The bet: if Agassi could hit Roddick’s racket, about 18 inches long and 8 inches wide, without Roddick having to move it, the point would belong to Agassi.
"Sure," Agassi said, "how fast do you want it?" Roddick told him to hit it 112 mph.
The serve came and hit Roddick’s racket just above the handle.
The speed? 112 mph exactly.

Andre. :worship:

tangerine_dream
12-07-2003, 05:46 PM
With Agassi serving in the celebrity match, Roddick decided to up the stakes. The bet: if Agassi could hit Roddick’s racket, about 18 inches long and 8 inches wide, without Roddick having to move it, the point would belong to Agassi. "Sure," Agassi said, "how fast do you want it?" Roddick told him to hit it 112 mph. The serve came and hit Roddick’s racket just above the handle. The speed? 112 mph exactly.

Holy Topspin Batman! :eek:

J. Corwin
12-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Whoa.
All hail Andre.

Deboogle!.
12-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Here's the other LR paper article... working on the pics lol

No faults with this matchup
Top players put on show for 10,000
BY CHRIS GIVENS ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE PHOTOS BY CLAY CARSON ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

Big-time tennis came to Arkansas for the first time in more than 20 years, and fans were given big-time entertainment
The evening’s stars may have been playing, in one professional’s estimation, at only "60 to 70 percent," but it didn’t matter to the 9,772 fans who came to Alltel Arena on Saturday night to see No. 1 Andy Roddick take on No. 4 Andre Agassi.
The event, dubbed Little Rock-n-Racquets, went over extremely well with the crowd.
"I just can’t believe the speed of the game," Conway’s Tim Taylor said. "And they’re here. You see them so much on TV, and then they’re here. This is great for Arkansas."
The last time tennis of this magnitude came to the state was 1982, when John McEnroe played Vitas Gerulatis at Barton Coliseum.
Saturday, it was America’s two most well-known tennis players, as well as two of the best in the world.
There’s no question the star quality of the participants is what attracted the crowd.
"If Andre isn’t playing, I’m not watching," said Teresa Lunsford, who made the trip from Pine Bluff with her husband Bobby.
Bobby wasn’t surprised with the crowd.
"I figured they’d bring a lot of people out," he said. "It’s Agassi and Roddick. People would come out for this every year."
They might get the chance.
Event organizers said if they could hit the 10,000 mark in attendance, this could become an annual event for the state, with different tennis players each time.
Agassi took center stage Saturday, beating Roddick 7-5, 7-5, although Roddick may have been taking it easy on his idol, who came to Little Rock with a roaring cold.
"It’s always fun playing someone you idolize," was all Roddick said after the match.
"They were playing at maybe 60 to 70 percent," said Thomas Andersson, the tennis pro at Little Rock Racquet Club. "There weren’t a lot of long rallies, and a lot of balls went in the net and first serves in the net. But 80 percent of the people here either don’t know that or don’t care."
Judging from the cheering, most didn’t care

heya
12-07-2003, 10:00 PM
http://wc5.worldcrossing.com/webx?7@91.GKrCgbPWchu.0@.1dddfa38/2043l
Bored Safin and Ferrero fans finding a little happiness, flattering themselves. HAHAAA
*enjoying myself*

Deboogle!.
12-07-2003, 10:23 PM
ok here are the pics (a couple Andre ones in his forum for those who care)

Havok
12-07-2003, 10:26 PM
:eek: bunk, that 2nd pic you attached should be cremated:eek: or it should go in the bizare/weird pics of Andy thread:lol:

Deboogle!.
12-07-2003, 11:10 PM
LOL Yes it should probably go in that thread ;)

heya
12-07-2003, 11:21 PM
I don't care about the so-called matches.
I can't stop giggling.

J. Corwin
12-08-2003, 12:33 AM
Whoa that second one is some funky pic.

Deboogle!.
12-08-2003, 01:49 AM
supposedly the caption on it from the paper was something like "Andy goofs off for fans" or something.

Prophetic
12-08-2003, 02:11 AM
I will never publish that pic on my site, lmfao...in the forums in a thread like this i would but not in the main site, lmfao...that pic is dead to me ;)

Deboogle!.
12-08-2003, 03:11 AM
Andy beat James again tonight :p

No. 1 Roddick Beats Blake in Exhibition

LEXINGTON, Ky. - Andy Roddick, the world's No. 1 player, won the final 10 points of the match and beat James Blake 7-5, 7-6 (7-0) on Sunday night in an exhibition match at Rupp Arena.

The Lexus Tennis Classic drew 4,069 fans. Proceeds will benefit the tennis program at the University of Kentucky.

"We like to have a good time and interact with the crowd and maybe show a different side of ourselves than they would normally see when we were playing the U.S. Open or something like that," said Roddick, the defending U.S. Open champion.

The 21-year-old Roddick, a semifinalist at Wimbledon and the Australian Open, became the sixth American to finish a year ranked No. 1 and the first since Andre Agassi in 1999.

Blake, 23, is ranked No. 37 in the ATP Tour world rankings.

heya
12-08-2003, 03:13 AM
Wake up Andy...there's a ball and racquet!

J. Corwin
12-08-2003, 04:45 AM
hehe

heya
12-08-2003, 06:30 AM
man, 60 more exhibitions to go

J. Corwin
12-08-2003, 06:42 AM
you have clairvoyance?

heya
12-08-2003, 07:19 AM
I'll stop counting when he stops doing them
MUHAH

heya
12-08-2003, 07:33 AM
OMG, stay away from George WHitler...LOL
Extremely arrogant, prejudiced, boastful, pseudo-intellectual buffoon.
Is he paranoid?
At least you have a higher
post count "chatting" with him. :P :o

star
12-08-2003, 12:20 PM
He earned an ignore for having a disporportionate ratio of vulgarity and unpleasantness to tennis knowledge. :)

Deboogle!.
12-08-2003, 02:15 PM
Roddick makes it fun for all in Rupp

TOP-RANKED PLAYER, BLAKE PUT ON A SHOW

By Mark Maloney
HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

They came.

They saw.

They volleyed.

U.S. Open champion Andy Roddick, the world's top-ranked tennis player, downed No. 37 James Blake 7-5, 7-6 (7-0) last night in an exhibition dubbed the Lexus Tennis Classic.

Blake Parker, with parents Steve and Kim, was among 4,069 fans in Rupp Arena.

"I'm looking forward to having a great time," the well-spoken 7-year-old said as he prepared to take his seat.

"What's the biggest thing you know about Andy Roddick?" his mother asked.

"Andy Roddick's girlfriend is (singer/actress) Mandy Moore," Blake said.

Roddick, 21, also has 13 career titles and $5.14 million in winnings, including $3.27 million this year.

"It's been extremely surreal when I look back," Roddick said. "I always think of guys who have finished No. 1, and past U.S. Open champions are like the super heroes. And now I did. And I just looked at myself, and I'm still a dork."

Jamie Bowldes, a University of Kentucky student, joined her sisters Stacey and Tricia, who drove from Mount Washington, near Louisville, to see Roddick.

"We're huge tennis fans," Jamie said. "Our parents both play USTA tennis and we watch all the majors on TV, follow tennis religiously, and this is a great opportunity to see two of the great players play."

Before Roddick and Blake played, twins Bob and Mike Bryan faced ex-UK stars Cedric Kauffmann and Greg Van Emburgh. The Bryans, ranked No. 1 in the world, won 8-4.

House lights dimmed, fireworks popped and spotlights shone when it came time for Roddick and Blake to enter, seated side-by-side atop the back seat of a sporty convertible.

Several fans were picked to try returning a Blake serve.

Then came Roddick, whose career-best serve is 147 mph.

Kyle Macy, the Morehead State basketball coach and former UK player, made a nifty return, albeit wide, of a 133 mph offering.

UK hoops coach Tubby Smith didn't fare as well. He did get a racket on a softer offering, though, to a loud ovation.

Blake made a point of jumping and motioning to Smith.

"I was hoping he'd recruit me," Blake said with a smile. "I thought I got up pretty well. But I think the guys on the team will do a little better."

Blake and Roddick, with some effort, continued to make the contest fun for all.

"I think the crowd didn't really know what to expect or how to act first off," Roddick said. "I tried to kind of let them know it's OK to be rowdy at tennis, too. So I think they got into it and, hopefully, they had a good time. Because I know James and I did."

At one point, a fan called out "140" as Roddick prepared to serve. Sure enough, Roddick's serve clocked a night-high 140, although into the net.

Blake later matched the speed-on-demand serve, hitting a fan's request of 125.

When Blake mis-hit while trying to drop a shot over the net, Roddick told him to "drop and give me five."

Both players said they were happy with the event. Blake, who played twice in the Fifth Third Bank tournament and also against UK when he was a student at Harvard, said Lexington has "always been fun."

"It was sweet," Roddick said. "It's cool coming into a place with as much history as Rupp Arena and being the first people to play tennis there. That was kind of a thrill for me."

Proceeds benefited the UK tennis program. UK men's coach Dennis Emery said earlier in the week that he hopes to bring back an exhibition next year, with a vision of then attracting an early- round Davis Cup match. Roddick thinks it could happen.

Emery favors Davis Cup over a regular tour stop "because we just don't have enough people to support a big tournament for a seven-, eight-day period, and we don't have a facility to do it. In Davis Cup, you only need one court and a lot of seats, and that's what a place like Rupp Arena provides."

Brooks Downing, former UK sports information director who is now executive vice president of Game Seven Sports Marketing, promoted last night's event.

"Couldn't have gone any better," he said. "Seems like everybody's leaving very, very happy."

Deboogle!.
12-08-2003, 02:16 PM
From tennis-x.com - I edited out Andy-related stuff but I posted the whole thing in GM

2003 Tennis-X Awards: The Best and Worst in Pro Tennis

By Richard Vach tennis-x.com

It was an amazing year in the world of pro tennis. One year ago would you really have believed that Andy Roddick would finish No. 1? That Venus and Serena would not hit a ball after playing a Wimbledon final? That Lleyton Hewitt would finish outside the Top 15 while Martina Navaratilova would finish Top 10 in doubles? That Anna would be photographed on a park bench with Enrique's hand down her pants? And it goes on and on. It was a year in which the "New(est) Balls," led by Roddick, finally took over as Pete Sampras, Michael Chang and even Martina Hingis officially put the racquets in the bag, and the Belgians asserted immediate control of the women's tour in the Williams' absence. There were new babies, one named Jaz comes to mind, new spliter groups (IMTA), a new Tennis Channel and new leadership in key roles, see WTA and Larry Scott. So it's time to hand out what you have been waiting for: The 2003 Tennis-X Awards, recognizing the best (and the worst) in pro tennis for the year ending two thousand three:

Player of the Year: Andy Roddick
A-Rod, The Kid, Mr. Mandy Moore, the $3.2 million dollar man in 2003, Pay-Rod, whatever you want to call him short of a four-letter word (unless you're Ivan Ljubicic), Andy Roddick was at the forefront of tennis during the second half of the year after catching fire under new coach Brad Gilbert. It began with a grasscourt title at Queen's, and a semifinal effort at Wimbledon (l. to eventual champ Roger Federer). Then a stunning summer hardcourt run, including titles at Indianapolis, the TMS-Canada, TMS-Cincy, and US Open propelled the brash American to the top spot, narrowly edging New Balls foes Federer and Juan Carlos Ferrero. While Ferrero dumped his last six matches of the year to take himself out of the running, Federer almost stole A-Rod's thunder with his first slam title at Wimbledon and a stunning performance at the year-end Masters Cup. But no one in tennis could match the hype and rock-star status granted to Roddick the last five months of the season.

Best Match: Andy Roddick d. Younes El Aynaoui, Australian Open quarterfinal, 4-6, 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-4, 21-19
For those that can remember this far back, January provided a stellar start to the year at the Australian Open. With both players competing at an incredibly high level, Roddick twice came back from a set down, and in the end the two warriors could barely move, embracing in exhaustion at the net in front of a standing ovation. The five-hour match, which featured the longest fifth set (in games) in Slam history, was played at an incredibly high level throughout but took its toll on the winner, as Roddick got worked in the semifinals by Rainer Schuettler.

2003 Best Comeback in a Match:
Runner-up: Andy Roddick against David Nalbandian at the US Open, coming back from two sets down and a match point, nice choke Argentine.

Biggest Tease: The Andy Roddick reality show "The Tour," which was on for 2004, then A-Rod says it is a no-go, then the Associated Press reports it is on again. Who knows?

Biggest Genius: Brad Gilbert
This hurts to admit, Brad Gilbert back on the scene (as opposed to his garden), taking Andy Roddick under his wing midway through 2003. Now he's like Mastercard, everywhere you don't want him to be, and a coaching legend in guiding Andre Agassi and now Roddick to No. 1.

Best Press Conference: Ivan Ljubicic, US Open
The Croatian loses to Andy Roddick, then unleashes his fury on the American in the post-match conference: "I mean, generally, I don't like him. I mean, not me, nobody in the locker room like his acting on the court...He doesn't respect the others, that's all what I can say." The ATP subsequently goes into Furious Spin Mode, Ljubicic gives Andy some late-night phone calls in an attempt to patch things up, Ljubicic speaks at a press conference on the issue the next day, and now they're the best of friends. Well, not really.

tangerine_dream
12-08-2003, 03:33 PM
Awesome!! Thanks bunk! :yeah:

2003 Best Comeback in a Match:
Runner-up: Andy Roddick against David Nalbandian at the US Open, coming back from two sets down and a match point, nice choke Argentine.

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! I'm surprised Daveeed :baby: didn't go off on Andy during the press conference and blame him and the loud and biased Americans for making him lose that match. Waaah! :bigcry:

I just love watching that match over and over and over and over....:devil:

Deboogle!.
12-08-2003, 04:00 PM
lol tangerine you sure are bitter towards him

tangerine_dream
12-08-2003, 04:07 PM
lol tangerine you sure are bitter towards him

Hehe! Not exactly bitter, I just love to pick on him. When Ivan Ljubicic comes back and starts holding anti-Andy press conferences again, I'll start picking on him and then Daveeed can get a reprieve. ;)

Deboogle!.
12-08-2003, 04:29 PM
Lol that's so nice of you ;)

Havok
12-08-2003, 06:08 PM
Hehe! Not exactly bitter, I just love to pick on him. When Ivan Ljubicic comes back and starts holding anti-Andy press conferences again, I'll start picking on him and then Daveeed can get a reprieve. ;)
:haha: OMFG you're killing me with your Daveeeeeeeeed:baby: stuff :haha:

J. Corwin
12-08-2003, 07:35 PM
The ATP subsequently goes into Furious Spin Mode, Ljubicic gives Andy some late-night phone calls in an attempt to patch things up, Ljubicic speaks at a press conference on the issue the next day, and now they're the best of friends. Well, not really.

It was Andy who called Ivan to patch things up, not the other way around.

Deboogle!.
12-08-2003, 09:23 PM
yea I noticed that too Jace but at least they got it right that it was Ljubicic's fault

tangerine_dream
12-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Andy in Connecticut, bunk!!! :bounce:

Davis Cup to be Roddick's N.E. debut
12/10/2003

Andy Roddick will take his first sneaker steps in New England in February, five days after the Australian Open. The 21-year-old US Open champ is to lead the US Davis Cup team in a 2004 first-round series against Austria Feb. 6-8 at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn.

US captain Patrick McEnroe is in Uncasville today to make the announcement. He'll have a strong lineup: No. 1 in singles, Roddick, and No. 1 in doubles, the Bryan twins, Bob and Mike. Mardy Fish, James Blake, and Taylor Dent are the foremost contenders for the other singles job. However, it's a quick turnaround for the Americans if they progress deeply in the Australian Open.

The US, beaten this year at Zagreb in the opening round by Croatia, is better manned for this one. The second-round opponent most likely would be the Cup-holder, Australia, at Melbourne in April.

Deboogle!.
12-10-2003, 08:46 PM
yea too bad I'll be in Houston LOL! You gonna go???

tangerine_dream
12-10-2003, 09:17 PM
I'd love to! It's close to me. I'm gonna check it out. :bounce:

Deboogle!.
12-10-2003, 09:50 PM
awesome! keep us posted!

J. Corwin
12-11-2003, 02:33 AM
Weuheu!!

Do keep us up to date about it.

star
12-11-2003, 03:50 AM
We demand live reports!! :)

Deboogle!.
12-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Couple more articles from CT newspapers
------
McEnroe's Plans Start With Roddick
December 11, 2003
By TOMMY HINE, Hartford Courant

MONTVILLE -- Patrick McEnroe didn't acquire his passion for tennis. He had it the day he was born.

"It started with our parents," McEnroe said. "Then my passion grew while watching my brother, John. He was the greatest Davis Cup player ever in the United States. His commitment and passion were second to none.

"There's a different kind of pressure when you walk out there in Davis Cup. Nothing can prepare you for it until you actually do it. There's more pressure. It's more intense. The passion is unmatched. I hope some of my passion is passed on to our younger guys."

It will indeed be a young team the U.S. captain sends against Austria in a first-round match Feb. 6-8 at Mohegan Sun.

Pete Sampras has retired. Michael Chang has retired. Andre Agassi has lost interest.

"The new guard is about to take over," McEnroe said.

It might be time, considering 1995 was the last time the U.S. won the Davis Cup. The United States, which has 31 Davis Cup titles, lost in the first round to Croatia this year.

McEnroe has until Jan. 27 to select his team from the pool of young talent, and hard-hitting U.S. Open champion Andy Roddick, 21, is at the top of his list.

Roddick didn't play last year because of a wrist injury, but was on the team that advanced to the semifinals in 2002 before losing to France.

"Roddick is our No. 1 guy," McEnroe said. "We'll do everything we can to make him part of the team. Roddick has been unbelievable. He's a legitimate contender to win multiple Grand Slams. He's a national team guy who loves the intense atmosphere of Davis Cup."

After Roddick, McEnroe's dilemma is selecting a No. 2 singles player from a group that includes Taylor Dent, 22, James Blake, 23, Mardy Fish, 22, Robby Ginepri, 21, and Vincent Spadea, 29.

"Our depth is good behind Roddick with Taylor Dent, James Blake and Mardy Fish," McEnroe said. "Fish is probably the favorite. He's ranked the highest, and he has Davis Cup experience."

McEnroe's deadline coincides with the Australian Open, Jan. 19-Feb. 1, the year's first Grand Slam.

To be among McEnroe's selections, Blake and the others will have to play well in Melbourne. By the end of last season, Fish (20), Spadea (29), Ginepri (32) and Dent (33) and Vincent Spadea had all passed Blake (37) in the rankings.

"The only chance James has is if he plays better than he has, if he starts out well," McEnroe said. "I think he'll rebound."

Blake, from Fairfield, won't have a hometown advantage.

"There's no chance of that happening," McEnroe said. "I'm not going to put him on the team because he's from Connecticut."

The Bryan brothers, Bob and Mike - both 25 and the No. 1 doubles team in the world - are also in the mix.

Four players will comprise McEnroe's team, although he can initially select more and make substitutions until an hour before the Feb. 5 draw. There will be two singles matches the first day, a doubles match the second and two singles matches the last. All matches are best-of-five sets.

Tickets go on sale Dec. 19. There are advantages to being a Davis Cup host.

"We wanted to play inside on a relatively quick court that works well with our guys and not well with the Austrians," McEnroe said. "Our guys play well on fast courts. And when you play indoors, you can control the environment."

--------

Tennis stars to shine at Sun
Davis Cup playoffs to lure Roddick, top talent
By MIKE PETERSEN
Norwich Bulletin

MOHEGAN -- Southeastern Connecticut has never been a landmark for professional tennis, but Mohegan Sun plans to put the area on the map in the coming months.

At a news conference at the casino Wednesday, the United States Tennis Association announced the Mohegan Sun Arena will host the United States' first round Davis Cup matches against Austria in February.

The event marks the first time the Davis Cup has been played in New England since the United States' quarterfinal matches with Australia in Brookline, Mass., three years ago.

"This is an announcement that proves that Connecticut is becoming a great sports destination," Lt. Gov. Jodie Rell said. "I cannot tell you how thrilled I am for not only the state of Connecticut or the Mohegan Sun, but for the people of the state."

The stars that may be making their way to the Mohegan Sun for the three-day competition include Andy Roddick, the top-ranked tennis player in the world, as well as No. 37-ranked James Blake, a Fairfield native. Patrick McEnroe, the United States team captain, cannot make official selections until mid-January.

"These guys have a real spirit to them and that is such a huge part of Davis Cup," McEnroe said. "Roddick has been unbelievable. He's a proven contender now after winning the U.S. Open. He has a great energy and enthusiasm to him and it is contagious."

Each round of the Davis Cup is a five-match event at which two singles matches will be played on Friday, Feb. 6, a doubles match on Saturday and wrapped up by two more singles events on Sunday. Roddick would be the featured player for the Americans, probably playing his singles match on Friday.

The doubles match most likely would be played by Bob and Mike Bryan -- a team of brothers from California who are the top-ranked doubles team in the world. Mardy Fish (No. 20 in the world) and Taylor Dent (No. 33) also were mentioned as members of the U.S. squad.

The Mohegan Sun is no stranger to holding top-level events in entertainment and sports. Bands from Aerosmith to the Dixie Chicks have played concerts in the 10,000-seat arena and the casino hosts WNBA basketball, NBA exhibitions, top-level boxing on HBO and has even had success with tennis events. Two years ago, Martina Navratilova and Monica Seles battled in an exhibition.

What may be more exciting than the flavor and zeal fans give to international events such as Davis Cup tennis is that for three days, Connecticut will be the place to be for American tennis fans. The first round of the Davis Cup comes right after the completion of the Australian Open -- the first major event of the tennis calendar year. Both teams will be in peak physical condition and be ready to go at it in the name of their country.

"The Davis Cup is a successful event on the regional level, but I think it has the potential to become a global success," McEnroe said. "We have a really nice group of young players this year."

Wednesday's announcement is just the latest in Mohegan Sun's effort to line up major sporting events.

"(The Davis Cup) is another effort to bring diverse entertainment to the Mohegan Sun," said Paul Munick, the casino's vice president of sports and entertainment. "It started when we landed Michael Jordan and the Washington Wizards for an exhibition game and has grown since then."

If Michael Jordan is the biggest star that the Mohegan Sun has seen in sports, then Andy Roddick will not be far behind. He is already the top-ranked player in his sport and is looking to build upon a successful 2003 season.

"Andy has been so great for American tennis," USTA representative Randy Walker said in a news release. "He has become more popular in the recent years, along with Mardy Fish, Taylor Dent and the other young American stars."

After winning the U.S. Open last summer, Nebraska native Roddick bolted his way to the top of the world rankings. His youth and imagination for the game have drawn new tennis fans from all over the world. Roddick was sidelined from the first round of last year's Davis Cup Tournament because of an injury after his Australian Open quarterfinal win over Younes El Aynaoui of Morrocco. Roddick lost in the semifinals to Andre Agassi, but the world's eyes had been opened to a tennis phenom whose star has been rising ever since.

In 1987, Hartford hosted the United States and West Germany's matches in the qualifying rounds of the Davis Cup. John McEnroe took on Boris Becker in a singles match that lasted more than six hours in what is considered one of the great all-time matches in tennis history.

"Mohegan Sun is one of the nation's top sports and entertainment venues located midway between Boston and New York," USTA Chief Executive Adlen Kantarian said in a news release. "We are thrilled to bring Davis Cup tennis back to New England, where some of the most exciting and significant Davis Cup matches have been staged."

Connecticut already is host to the Women's Tennis Association's Pilot Pen Event in New Haven where former champion Venus Williams is an regular participant. The Davis Cup will be the only other tennis event in the area other than the Newport (R.I.) Hall of Fame Classic, which is a smaller professional tournament held in July.

J. Corwin
12-11-2003, 05:46 PM
Roddick was sidelined from the first round of last year's Davis Cup Tournament because of an injury after his Australian Open quarterfinal win over Younes El Aynaoui of Morrocco. Roddick lost in the semifinals to Andre Agassi, but the world's eyes had been opened to a tennis phenom whose star has been rising ever since.

Losing to Andre in the semis...He must have watched a different AO than I.

Deboogle!.
12-11-2003, 11:33 PM
yea... I was gonna comment on that mistake but I didn't feel like lol

Deboogle!.
12-12-2003, 01:57 PM
Here is an amazing article from an Australian paper about the Andy/El-Aynaoui match last year. Simply great. I might get to see it as soon as tomorrow!!
----------

A tale of two winners, everywhere but on the scoreboard
By Linda Pearce
2003 - My Favourite Moment
December 13, 2003

Those privileged enough to see it will never forget the epic El Aynaoui-Roddick battle, where statistics and records could only ever tell part of the tale, writes Linda Pearce.

In the early hours of January 23, after an epic match that was instantly proclaimed as one of the greatest in grand slam history, and to which one million local TV viewers were still glued at midnight, Younes El Aynaoui said he would remember the Melbourne Park crowd most of all.

"Everybody stayed until the end, you know, five hours," the desperately weary but gracious Moroccan said later. "They were pushing us at the end. They were not with Andy or me, they were just enjoying a good match."

A good match? Good? El Aynaoui was not speaking in the first of his six languages, and may well have been delirious with fatigue, so we shall forgive his outrageous understatement. Technically, El Aynaoui had just lost 21-19 to Andy Roddick in the fifth set of a quarter-final in which the record-breaking quantity of games and minutes played was matched only by the sustained quality. By every other measure, the non-winner had lost nothing at all.

If Lleyton Hewitt's Davis Cup semi-final comeback against Roger Federer was nothing short of miraculous, and the wounded Mark Philippoussis's dramatic effort in the final against Juan Carlos Ferrero unsurpassed for local theatre, El Aynaoui-Roddick was a contest of timeless, cross-border appeal, in a sport in which the only time limit is what bodies and minds can bear.

It was one for the ages, but in which age played little part. It was about the endurance of a young punk of 20 and a journeyman of 31, but also the audacious excellence of the near-nerveless tennis played over four hours 59 minutes, into the early hours of a cool Melbourne summer's night.

Records were set - many of them - from the longest final set in an Open-era grand slam (two hours 23 minutes), to the most number of games in an Australian Open fifth set (40), to the highest number of games in a match at the Open in the three-plus decades of the tie-breaker (83). Statistics reveal only part of what transpired on the rubberised hard court named after Rod Laver, although the fact that the tournament's ninth seed and its 18th both separately belted more than 100 winners paints a little more of the background of this grand picture.

Having cancelled their dinner reservations hours before, tennis writers from around the planet were scrambling for superlatives while reminiscing about comparable five-setters such as Hoad-Trabert (1953), Gonzales-Pasarell (1969), Rosewall-Laver (1973), Borg-McEnroe (1980), Sampras-Courier (1995) and Ivanisevic-Rafter (2001). Those of us with harsher deadlines watching the final stages from the Melbourne Park media centre could only write, then rewrite, then rewrite again to accommodate the many ebbs and flows, while hoping to do justice to the drama in progress.

When it was over, when El Aynaoui netted a forehand volley a lifetime, or so it seemed, after Roddick had saved a match point in the 10th game of the fifth set with a cracking forehand that, considering the circumstances, he agreed was the best shot he had ever hit, the Arab and the American met at the net for a three-minute ovation, a handshake and an embrace. Roddick held El Aynaoui's arm aloft, later proclaiming his opponent as "a class act". With the exception of some Roddick outbursts towards French chair umpire Pascal Maria, it was, indeed, a wholly classy show.

"I know it was an amazing match and I don't know if I'll duplicate it in my career," said Roddick when he eventually arrived in the interview room, revealing that the pair had never met before tossing the coin. "We could see each other 10 years down the line and know that we shared something pretty special."

And, for Roddick's career, something pretty significant. It was acknowledged as such by eventual champion Andre Agassi, who was snoozing in his hotel room at the denouement, having reluctantly dragged himself away from the TV about 20 - yes, 20 - games into the fifth set. Agassi awoke to nominate this as a career milestone for his young compatriot, one which would help him to become "a better player".

Fellow American Jim Courier was euphoric, hailing it as the turning point of the Roddick career that, less than nine months later, celebrated a breakthrough grand slam victory at the United States Open, and finished the year at No. 1. Roddick, said Courier, had come to life and come of age on that January night. "This is it," said the two-time Australian Open winner. "This is his time; his turning point."

Indeed, if Roddick wins his first Australian Open next month, it will take little calculating to work out when and where it all began. For the record, the score was 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 6-4, 21-19, even if, in this case, records told just a fraction of the story.

tangerine_dream
12-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Bunk, I cannot wait for you to see this match! :crazy:

Thanks for the article.

Havok
12-12-2003, 03:39 PM
:sad: ah it brings back good memories:sad:
but i got it on tape so:rocker2:

Deboogle!.
12-12-2003, 04:28 PM
soon tangerine, soon! he mailed them yesterday morning!

J. Corwin
12-12-2003, 06:45 PM
awesome! Tell us what you think of the match after you've seen it!

I need to locate that tape now...I want to see it again.

Deboogle!.
12-12-2003, 08:02 PM
yes as soon as I get it and can secure some time in front of the tv (which is easier said than done in this house) I'll watch it (assuming my DVD player will play it lmfao)

Havok
12-12-2003, 08:36 PM
the only bad thing is that i'm missing the 1st set because my stupid ass sports channel started playing it earlier than it was supposed to be aired, but it was a good thing i skipped school that day and was flipping through the channels and saw it, and ran to tape it. did i miss anything good in the 1st set by any chance?

tangerine_dream
12-12-2003, 08:37 PM
did i miss anything good in the 1st set by any chance?

No, you didn't. First sets are usually uneventful. All the good stuff happens much later.

Havok
12-12-2003, 08:52 PM
ok good. i thought so that nothing really happened in that 1st set, but you never know

J. Corwin
12-12-2003, 09:00 PM
The first set wasn't nearly as high quality as the rest of the match.

I have two tapes of this match, one starting from Andy saving matchpoint in the 5th set, and the other with the first set, part of the 4th, and most of the 5th.

Deboogle!.
12-12-2003, 09:01 PM
I thought the exciting part was basically the 5th set? LOL.... no I haven't seen it but it sounded like the first 3 sets or so were all pretty routine.

J. Corwin
12-12-2003, 09:09 PM
Of course the 5th set is the best, lol.

I just like having matches in their entirety. (I know I don't have this one in its entirety, which is unfortunate.)

Deboogle!.
12-12-2003, 09:11 PM
well yeah true.... what'd you say tangerine? The DVD will be complete minus the second set? I can deal with that lol

Havok
12-12-2003, 09:18 PM
oh no it's not JUST the 5th set. but we just always look at the 5th set because it was so damn liong ( i think it was like 2 1/2 hours or so) the other sets weren't routine sets. in fact the the 3rd set was lost on a bad call, Andy's swing volley was called out when it had actually hit the line:o it's just that the 5th set kept the same momentum throughout its entirety that's why it's the best set. all sets had crazy, awesome, :eek: like winners

Deboogle!.
12-12-2003, 09:22 PM
aha well cool then, I'm glad I'll have 4 out of 5 ;)

tangerine_dream
12-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Yeah, Andy goes berserk a few times on some bad calls (which is always fun to watch). I tend to rewatch the third, fourth and fifth sets a lot. That's where all the bad calls, temper tandrums, and general craziness starts. :crazy:

Deboogle!.
12-12-2003, 09:28 PM
lol I guess it's fun retrospectively knowing he won. If I were watching that live, though, I'd FREAK lol I hate it when he gets mad

J. Corwin
12-12-2003, 09:29 PM
Now y'all are getting me nostalgic. ;)

Havok
12-12-2003, 09:29 PM
but it wasn't so bad because the bad line calls were literally at the end of the sets, so it didn't affect him at all

Deboogle!.
12-12-2003, 09:32 PM
well that's good I guess. It's still one area I'd like to see him improve upon. Not the freaking out on the umps so much, because I think it's great he has the guts to speak his mind lol but I'd like him to use the pissed-off-ed-ness to push him to play better, not to let it get the best of him to where he starts playing crappy

J. Corwin
12-12-2003, 09:36 PM
His reverting back to his "old" self got his level of play down at the end of the year. The cool, calm, and collected Andy during the summer did so much for him.

Havok
12-12-2003, 09:58 PM
had Andy remianed calm, cool, and collective even after the US Open, it would have drained him out big time, even more drained that he already was. i don't think we'll be seeing much of the old Andy in 2004, hopefully

Deboogle!.
12-12-2003, 10:07 PM
His reverting back to his "old" self got his level of play down at the end of the year. The cool, calm, and collected Andy during the summer did so much for him.

EXACTLY..... especially during the Nalby match. Also the Fish match in Cincy. They highlight how much his keeping calm did for him. And of all the things that there might be to worry about from his play the last few weeks of the season, I worry the most about that.

Naldo, how would his keeping his cool have drained him? I don't understand that logic lol

Havok
12-12-2003, 10:20 PM
simple bunk, it's much harder for Andy to stay calm, as opposed to getting all fired up. but he'll get used to being calm and it won't take much out of him as it did this year. it's just what i think, might not be true though

heya
12-12-2003, 11:13 PM
About AO quarters:
What player would keep calm after dealing with
the bad officiating that may have taken away a slam win?

semis: He was suffering exhaustion as Andy fans yelled, "Get up, Andy" "Don't give up"
...loud Rainer fans cheered each error. :(
Shuttler gave a quick, cold handshake after lying on the ground like he did something heroic and said he had no idea how injured Andy was. :(

Deboogle!.
12-12-2003, 11:31 PM
I think Rainer's supposed to be a pretty nice guy. if he said he had no idea, I believe that he had no idea.

As for it being draining for him to stay calm, I disagree. It may be harder but ultimately him being calmer and more even-keeled should help him have MORE mental energy, not less. that's the whole point lol

heya
12-12-2003, 11:52 PM
When he was too quiet, Andy got complacent like at Legg Mason, USO semi, Paris, Madrid & Basel.
He easily could have won all the titles mentioned.

Deboogle!.
12-13-2003, 12:44 AM
easily? I don't think so... he was playing against people who were playing better than him at all of those except Legg Mason, which yes he should have won.

but at Legg Mason, according to EVERYTHING I've read, it went down hill in the Henman match after an outbreak, not after being too quiet. It has nothing to do with being quiet, it has to do with him using the anger/pissed feelings to play better, not let it distract him.

Against Nalby he was not complacent, he was being outplayed. Then all of a sudden it was match point and because he kept his cool, he was able to come back and exploit the fact that Nalby was getting tired.

Give up trying to convince me, nothing at all will convince me that Andy being calmer on court is bad in any way shape or form. I have way too much proof that I've seen with my eyes to suggest otherwise.

J. Corwin
12-13-2003, 01:01 AM
Such a shame that he had to lose in the Legg Mason semis. He very close to winning that match and probably would have won it had he kept his cool. Who knows what would have happened against Fernando in the finals. Andy could have had a perfect summer hardcourt season with no losses and five titles.

Deboogle!.
12-13-2003, 01:08 AM
then again.. anything could've happened. he may have won there (a small tourney) but then not played as well at Montreal, Cincy, USO....

Sorry.. I just hate the 'what if' game lol

J. Corwin
12-13-2003, 01:15 AM
I don't like it either but this summer was probably the closest Andy will ever have in nearing a perfect summer season.

He stinks during the spring hardcourt season.

Deboogle!.
12-13-2003, 01:17 AM
well maybe he won't stink in 2004! :)

heya
12-13-2003, 02:00 AM
In USO semis, he was really slow, hardly moved from
the baseline and stupidly smacked balls into the net. Then, he cut out that crap, got better and wore down David. It's
like he got into this "I'm doomed" phase but
woke up when he realized he'd win when
he added more effort and optimism.

Deboogle!.
12-13-2003, 02:09 AM
That's the way you perceived it. We don't know what Andy was feeling and thinking so we don't know what happened. I mean obviously it's not his plan to get down 2-0 sets and match point in one of the biggest matches of his life to date, but who knows. I mean why did Hewitt get down 2-0 sets against Federer in the DC semifinal? Why does anything happen? We don't know. But the point was that Andy was able to keep it together well enough to hang around until he started to have his chances. And once he started getting them, he followed through and won the match, and that's all that matters at this point. and I will say it AGAIN, I still maintain that he was able to get back in the match because he stayed cool, calm, collected, and confident throughout. Of course it helps that once Andy won the TB, David sorta faded away...

J. Corwin
12-13-2003, 05:35 AM
I agree.

tangerine_dream
12-14-2003, 06:39 PM
I just came across this website which does analysis of tennis players' serves and strokes and actually sells digital video analysis of certain players (Andy is included).

In case there are any players lurking around who would be interested. :angel:

http://www.advancedtennis.com/

J. Corwin
12-14-2003, 07:34 PM
Cool stuff. :)

Deboogle!.
12-14-2003, 09:58 PM
wow cool... I was in Barnes & Noble wrapping presents for charity with my mom and I read the Nov/Dec Tennis mag and PMac, with lips firmly planted on Andy's ass, analyzed his play during the USO final. It was interesting enough I guess LOL

J. Corwin
12-15-2003, 12:27 AM
Yup I have that issue. It's highly amusing to read. :)

Deboogle!.
12-15-2003, 12:29 AM
here's a new piece from AR.com from someone who went to the charity event last night
=====
Swingtime Tennis Exhibition: Saturday 13th December
by: Rachael de-Bourne

12/14/2003 --

AndyRoddick.com member, Rachael de-Bourne attended the Swingtime Pro event on Saturday, and submitted this report for the site!

This was the 5th annual Swingtime charity event to benefit the Tim&Tom Gullikson Foundation, held at the beautiful Ibis Golf and Country Club in West Palm Beach, South Florida. The day started with a pro-am tournament with celebrities and amateur players on all courts including such players as Mardy Fish, Jim Courier and Chris Evert. The main part of the day were the tennis exhibition matches which started a little after 1pm and included mixed doubles and both men and womens doubles with current and former tour players, all of which was entertaining!

The conclusion of the day was the feature match between Andy & James Blake, who have already played several times for charity this off season! The level of tennis was fantastic with some amazing rallies. James got off to a 4-0 lead before Andy started to pull a few games back. There were several more exchanges of serve before James won 8-4 with exhibition scoring.

The match was alot of fun with both players clearly enjoying it! There was alot of joking around between Andy, James and the unpire including about Andy's all white outfit! When asked of the professional scoreline between the 2 James joked "we don't need to talk about that!" (For the record Andy leads James 7-0!) Though just an exhibition match, Andy came onto the court eating a packet of cheetos, both players were looking in good form, and the day was a great success raising money for a deserved course, something Andy has done alot of this off-season. It's an honour to support a player who gives so much back.
=====

Andy let's not start losing to James now, ok!?!!? :p

Deboogle!.
12-15-2003, 12:49 AM
Here's another from USTA..... reading stuff like this just makes me a bigger fan... how can they say this guy is arrogant? I just don't understand.
=====

Roddick, Blake Do Double Duty to Benefit Charities
12/14/03 8:48 PM

By Tim Curry, special to USTA.com

Atlanta, GA. – Andy Roddick gave a champion’s effort on Saturday, December 13 not on the court but to get to the court at two separate events in Atlanta and South Florida that benefit charities organized by close friends.

Roddick, known for his penchant for never saying no to a good cause, found himself double-booked that day after committing to play at Brian Vahaly’s “A Return of Service” and Tom Gullickson’s “Swingtime” fundraisers.

Rather than cancel his appearance at either event, Roddick found a way to show up at both.

“A lot of people asked if Andy was still going to come after he won the US Open,” said Vahaly of his best friend on the men’s tour. “It was obvious they didn’t know the caliber of man Andy is. Andy is true to his word and his promises are golden. There was never a doubt he would come.”

On Friday in Atlanta, Roddick played a Pro Am and attended an auction where he paid $5,400 to outbid his girlfriend, Mandy Moore, to win the chance to have the first dance with Vahaly (he gave the opportunity to Brian’s mother).

He returned to the Racquet Club of the South at 9 a.m. Saturday morning to give a private 30-minute lesson, which brought in $11,000 at Vahaly’s auction, and then to entertain a capacity crowd with an 8-5 victory over Vahaly, all before racing to the airport and a charter flight to West Palm Beach.

Roddick played U.S. Davis Cup teammate James Blake in an exhibition at Swingtime. It was the sixth appearance at a fundraiser during a 10-day stretch.

Last week, Roddick faced Blake on four consecutive nights in Baltimore, New Orleans, Little Rock, Ark., and Lexington, Ky.

Blake also was working a double shift of sorts, having faced Mardy Fish at the Minnesota Tennis Challenge on Friday. Blake raced to a 4-0 lead against Roddick then held even to post an 8-4 win.

It was the sixth appearance at a fundraiser during a 10-day stretch for both players.

The Brian Vahaly Brighter Future Foundation is dedicated to promoting youth and collegiate tennis through the USTA in Georgia, as well as support the charitable organization, St. Vincent de Paul Society.

Swingtime has raised nearly $300,000 in revenue and, more importantly, has significantly increased awareness of the Foundation’s mission – to assist brain-tumor patients and their families in managing the physical, emotional, and social challenges presented by the illness.

The Tim & Tom Gullikson Foundation was founded in 1995 by Tim Gullikson, former tennis professional and coach of Pete Sampras, and his identical twin brother, Tom Gullikson, a former tennis professional, coach and captain of the United States Davis Cup team. Tim was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 1995 and lost his battle with the illness in 1996 at the age of 44.

Deboogle!.
12-15-2003, 12:55 AM
and another about how Andy inspired Brian to have his own charity/event.... forget the inaccuracies lol
===
Vahaly’s Dream is a Brighter Future for Area Youth
12/14/03 8:06 PM
By Tim Curry, special to USTA.com

Atlanta, GA. – The old adage, ‘it’s better to give than to receive’ can be heard often during the holiday season. Brian Vahaly did both this weekend in his hometown of Atlanta during A Return of Service, a charity fundraiser for his Brighter Future Foundation.

Vahaly hosted two days of activities at the Racquet Club of the South to raise funds and awareness for his new foundation, which is dedicated to promoting youth and collegiate tennis through the USTA in Georgia, as well as support the charitable organization, St. Vincent de Paul Society.

The idea to start a charity stemmed from a conversation Vahaly had with Andy Roddick over lunch at the Tennis Masters Series Rome in May.

Roddick played a big roll in the success of A Return of Service, which is expected to raise more than $175,000 for the Brighter Future Foundation when the bottom line is computed.

“Andy Roddick is my best friend on tour,” said Vahaly during Friday night’s auction. “Without him, this weekend would not be what it is. I’m humbled by the support I’ve received from so many people to help me make my dream, this foundation, become a reality.”

The weekend began Friday with a Pro Am featuring Vahaly, Roddick and former Roland Garros finalist Michael Pernfors.

That evening, live and silent auctions raised more than $65,000, including winning bids of over $10,000 each for a chance to walk the red carpet with actress Mandy Moore at a movie premier and a night in Roddick’s player box at the 2004 US Open.

Saturday’s action included an exhibition pro set that Roddick won, 8-5, over Vahaly in front of an overflow crowd of more than 600 people, and a kids’ carnival for hundreds of areas youth.

Vahaly and Roddick find themselves in the tennis spotlight after taking very different paths.

Roddick’s meteoric rise took him from the 2000 ITF World Junior title to his first Grand Slam title just after turning 21-years-old this summer at the US Open.

Vahaly had a promising junior career as a member of the last USTA National Team, but pursued a sheepskin before hitting the pavement of the professional tennis tour.

Vahaly graduated from the University of Virginia in 2001 with a double major of finance and business management after reaching the singles final at the NCAA Championships and finishing the year as part of the No. 1 doubles team in the country.

He just complete his best season as a professional ranked No. 75 in the world, highlighted by a semifinal finish in Memphis (losing to Roddick) and a quarterfinal appearance at the Tennis Masters Series Indian Wells after defeating Juan Carlos Ferrero, Fernando Gonzalez and Tommy Robredo.

Vahaly’s efforts earned him accolades both on and off the court. Vahaly was a non-playing member of the U.S. Davis Cup team that won the relegation match against Croatia and was named to People magazine’s 25 Most Eligible Bachelors in 2003.

Deboogle!.
12-15-2003, 04:51 AM
Andy excerpts from Tennis-x.com's Look Back at Pro Tennis 2003:

A Look Back at Pro Tennis in 2003

By TennisX Staff

From A to Z, from Anna to the Zagreb Challenger, from Enrique Iglesias photographed with his hand down Anna's pants on a park bench to Brad Gilbert hurling after Andy Roddick takes him skydiving, take a trip down memory lane with the month-by-month odd happenings and stats from the 2003 Tennis-X Notes, Quotes, and Barbs section:

FEBRUARY
Citing a sore right wrist, Andy Roddick withdrew from the Siebel Open in San Jose.

MAY
U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe gave Andy Roddick a verbal thrashing in a written web article following A-Rod's first round loss at Roland Garros, saying among other things "He needs to learn how to rely on more than just his big first serve."...Can you name the American player with the most clay titles earned under the age of 21? Jimmy Arias with five, then Andy Roddick with four...

JUNE
Andy Roddick, who has had trouble beating anyone ranked above or below him of late, has joined up with tennis super-mind Brad Gilbert for a trail basis. Gilbert is already with Roddick in England preparing for the grass season...Greg Rusedski was fined only $2,500 out of a potential $10K for his outburst directed at the chair umpire in his match against Andy Roddick, which included f-bombs and the masterbatory-likening slang "wanker."

AUGUST
Andy Roddick weathered two rain delays Sunday at the TMS-Canada in pounding David Nalbandian 6-1, 6-3 for his career-first Tennis Masters Series win...Andy Roddick just keeps finding ways to win, Sunday fighting off two match points to defeat countryman Mardy Fish 7-6 in the third to capture the TMS-Cincinnati title, his second consecutive TMS title following Montreal...Andy Roddick has won 30 of 32 matches since teaming with coach Brad Gilbert in June and will take a 12-match winning streak into the first round of the US Open...Andy Roddick becomes just the third player in the past 15 years (his coach Brad Gilbert and Andre Agassi are the others) to amass 20 wins during the U.S. hardcourt season leading into the US Open...

SEPTEMBER
Ivan Ljubicic cut loose on A-Rod in his post-conference after losing his match at the US Open: "I mean, generally, I don't like him. I mean, not me, nobody in the locker room like his acting on the court...He doesn't respect the others, that's all what I can say."......Andy Roddick finally caught the baton as the "next great American" Sunday at the US Open, giving newly-crowned No. 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero no chance with a 6-3, 7-6 (2), 6-3 pounding for his first grand slam title. "No more 'What's it feel like to be the future of American tennis?'" said Roddick as he triumphantly entered the interview room...Andy Roddick is 37-2 since teaming with coach Brad Gilbert...Andy Roddick held serve 114 of 119 games at the 2003 US Open...Andy Roddick coach Brad Gilbert on comparing his charge to Pete Sampras: "He's like a young MTV version -— hip. He's into skydiving. Into bungee jumping, burning CDs. He's into all the modern extremist stuff." Next on ESPN, Extreme CD Burning...The ATP sent Andy Roddick a message Monday, fining the No. 2 player $40,000 for pulling out of the Thailand Open...At last weekend's Davis Cup match in Slovakia, Andy Roddick continued to make friends on tour, yelling disparaging remarks across the net at opponent Karol Beck during the pivotal Sunday match: "I was trying to create a flow," Roddick said. "The other day (in his previous Friday loss) it was all about the Slovaks and the crowd. I definitely wanted to get on top and impose our energy on the match."...

OCTOBER
Mark your calendar girls, Andy Roddick will apparently host Saturday Night Live on Nov. 8...

NOVEMBER
Lots of fireworks at the TMS-Paris Thursday, including the upset of top-seeded Juan Carlos Ferrero, Andy Roddick gaining the No. 1 ATP Entry Ranking for the first time...A new "reality show" featuring Andy Roddick is in the works. "The Tour" will track the 21-year-old next summer as he deals with fame, fans and fellow players...A slow start, but Andy Roddick ended up holding his own on Saturday Night Live last night, with the highlight the Andre Agassi past-present-future sketch...Andy Roddick has clinched the year-end No. 1 ranking at 21 years of age, a feat Andre Agassi accomplished only once over his illustrious career; Bob and Mike Bryan clinched the year-end No. 1 team ranking in doubles...With Roddick's rise to No. 1, Brad Gilbert becomes the first coach to lead two different players to the year-end No. 1 ranking...

J. Corwin
12-15-2003, 09:57 AM
nice onces! I've read some of those at RO already. ;) But thanks.

Deboogle!.
12-15-2003, 03:02 PM
From AR.com - he's definitely playing Doha I guess. He better do well there, it'll help him a lot!
===Andy’s 2003 official appearance calendar is closed.

Andy Completes 2003 Exhibition Season
by: Scot Hirschfield
AndyRoddick.com

12/14/2003 -- With his participation in the inaugural Brian Vahaly charity weekend, and Swingtime, the annual charity benefiting the Tim and Tom Gullickson Foundation, Andy’s 2003 official appearance calendar is closed. The events, held in Atlanta, Georgia, and West Palm Beach, Florida capped off a two-week whirlwind tour that stopped in six states. Most importantly, Andy’s participation in these various tennis exhibitions, along with several key donations for both live and silent auctions, helped raise several million dollars for worthy causes all over the United States. This, of course, was highlighted by Andy’s Third annual charity weekend held November 22nd and 23rd, which raised over $300,000 for the Andy Roddick Foundaiton. For the remainder of the year, Andy will be splitting time between Austin, Texas, and Boca Raton, Florida. While in Austin, Andy will continue to furnish his newly acquired home, while working hard on his strength and conditioning to prepare for the rigors of another year on the ATP Tour. Just prior to Christmas, Andy, along with older brothers, John and Lawrence, will travel together to South Florida to spend the holidays with their family. After the year Andy has had, there should be much to celebrate in the Roddick household this holiday season. At that time, Andy will have one intense week of training with coach, Brad Gilbert, before heading off to Doha where he will open his 2004 campaign at the Qatar Open.

star
12-15-2003, 03:04 PM
He's on the committment list.

Ok. is that misspelled? I never feel that I spell that word right.

Deboogle!.
12-15-2003, 04:31 PM
yes but it's nice to get extra confirmation :)

I think it's commitment?

Deboogle!.
12-15-2003, 07:41 PM
Andy highlights from Jon Wertheim's 2003 Baggie Awards:
=========
The 2003 Baggie Awards
Posted: Monday December 15, 2003 1:41PM

Andy Roddick lived up to the hype and not only won the U.S. Open but finished the year at No.1.

To recall the year that was, we present the sixth annual Baggie Awards. But first, a quick lapse out of sarcasm mode to sincerely thank you 'Bag readers for another swell year. It's been a pleasure working with you. Keep the thoughtful, insightful, funny, offbeat -- even the confrontational -- mail coming, and let's do this thing again in 2004.

The envelopes please:

MVP, men:
Roddick. For once the exuberance wasn't irrational after all. Hailed, at least in the U.S., as the Best Thing Since Sliced Sampras, Roddick lived up to his clippings, winning the U.S. Open and finishing 2003 as the inhabitant of the rankings penthouse. Runner-up: the ubertalented Federer, who won Wimbledon as well as the year-end Masters Cup.

Match of the Year, men:
Roddick d. Younes el Aynaoui, 4-6, 7-6, 4-6, 6-4, 21-19, quarterfinals, Australian Open. The longest match in years was also remarkable for its quality: 484 points yielded just 86 unforced errors. A filibuster on hardcourts, this epic will be recalled as a coming-of-age moment for Roddick. But it also introduced the delightful el Aynaoui to the masses.

"To paraphrase Descartes....."

After the Cincinnati TMS final, Fish was asked about his intimate familiarity with opponent Andy Roddick. Fish's response: "Sure. I know, and I think that I'm sure he knows that, you know, I know him a lot better than everybody else does out here, and you know, I think that he knows that he doesn't scare me. And you know, I definitely respect his game, but you know, I definitely think that I can beat him, and I know that he doesn't scare me, and I think he knows that as well."

J. Corwin
12-15-2003, 07:55 PM
Mardy certainly knows a lot. ;)

J. Corwin
12-15-2003, 07:57 PM
He's on the committment list.

Ok. is that misspelled? I never feel that I spell that word right.

It's spelled "commitment".

After reading the article, I've realized that Andy only gets one week of intense training with Brad? So much for good training during the off-season, eh?

star
12-15-2003, 08:02 PM
Mardy certainly knows a lot. ;)

Almost as much as "you know." :)

J. Corwin
12-15-2003, 08:07 PM
They both know each other so well. :)

heya
12-15-2003, 08:09 PM
Duh

heya
12-15-2003, 08:10 PM
Did you read that John Mc defeated Fish in an exhib.?

MisterQ
12-15-2003, 08:31 PM
Did you read that John Mc defeated Fish in an exhib.?

Wow!

More info if you have it, please! :)

Havok
12-15-2003, 08:34 PM
It's spelled "commitment".

After reading the article, I've realized that Andy only gets one week of intense training with Brad? So much for good training during the off-season, eh?
i see you haven't read it properly:wavey: one week of intensive training with brad, but for the rest of the year, he's also gonna be training while in Ausitn furnishing his house.

Deboogle!.
12-15-2003, 08:35 PM
I interpreted the "one week of intensive training" differently than that Jace, I interpreted it to mean that they'd have that one final week as intensive.... not that they haven't been training hard during the entire off season.... make any sense? lol

Mardy's been hurt so I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play 100%

J. Corwin
12-15-2003, 08:48 PM
Oh I understand. But there's a difference between practice/training and intensive training. To me, practice/training is just like regular training he does during the season. We're supposed to see some *major* changes in Andy after this off-season, remember? I don't know if one week is gonna do that...well.

Deboogle!.
12-15-2003, 08:51 PM
ok I'm still not making myself clear lol

I think the article just meant that the one week between the holidays and going to Doha will be intensive. I didn't take it to be exclusionary as in that was the ONLY intensive training he's done at all. I guess it's this part of it that gives me this idea:

While in Austin, Andy will continue to furnish his newly acquired home, while working hard on his strength and conditioning to prepare for the rigors of another year on the ATP Tour.

Am I making sense yet?

J. Corwin
12-15-2003, 08:59 PM
It makes sense now. Sorry for being dense there. I tend to be slow frequently. :)

Deboogle!.
12-15-2003, 09:03 PM
lol I understand :)

Havok
12-15-2003, 09:03 PM
yup bunk, i interpreted it the same way as you did. from now until his little holiday, he'll be training, working on new things, ect. but the last week before Doha will be intensive, as in 100% dedication to his tennis regime

Deboogle!.
12-15-2003, 09:07 PM
ok whew glad I wasn't the only one who interpreted it that way. i'm sure he's been working his ass off with his new trainers and stuff for the whole break :)

J. Corwin
12-15-2003, 09:07 PM
Ok I just re-read it and I feel like a complete dork now. lol

It does make sense, and normally I would have caught on to that. I just skimmed the article so I missed crucial parts of it. And I'm being smoked at the moment...don't ask, LOL.

Deboogle!.
12-15-2003, 09:12 PM
awwww Jace it's ok :hug: we all have our moments ;)

Prophetic
12-15-2003, 09:49 PM
And I'm being smoked at the moment...don't ask, LOL.

:fiery: who is she??

lmao...sorry but I couldn't resist...*mind in gutter today*

heya
12-15-2003, 09:50 PM
I rather read stories from fans who saw him train.

star
12-15-2003, 09:59 PM
I'm thinking that Andy is having a really good time. I'm truly concerned that he isn't working hard.

But, if he isn't he'll have his come uppance.

J. Corwin
12-15-2003, 10:05 PM
:fiery: who is she??

lmao...sorry but I couldn't resist...*mind in gutter today*

Took me awhile to get what you are getting at with that comment.
And you know exactly what I'm talking about with the smoking comment. The kitchen still smells horrible. :mad:

Prophetic
12-15-2003, 10:09 PM
Took me awhile to get what you are getting at with that comment.
And you know exactly what I'm talking about with the smoking comment. The kitchen still smells horrible. :mad:

awwww, lol

Well it could be worse. I dunno what to tell ya hun...at least you'll prolly never do it again, lmao

Deboogle!.
12-15-2003, 10:14 PM
I rather read stories from fans who saw him train.

According to everything I've read, he has been working out mostly at home with his new trainer (dunno if that's referring to Spreen or someone else to replace Cicero), so if a fan saw him train that would mean she is stalking Andy out in Florida and/or Texas.... so I'm glad to not have any fan reports of him practicing lol

Star, you really think he's been goofing off?????

J. Corwin
12-15-2003, 11:14 PM
That wouldn't be a horrible assumption, Deb. He consciously doesn't wanna goof off and he still really much is hungry to achieve a lot more. But subconsciouly you never know. It MIGHT be harder for him to keep his focus and determination now that he has had a taste of greatness.

heya
12-15-2003, 11:15 PM
LMAO There're tons of pics with fans/Andy.
Lucy, who did the website Roddickrocks, helps sell
charity T-shirts with his autographs. She was
hired by ar.com, right?
He likes stalkers who help him with charities...LMAO

MisterQ
12-15-2003, 11:32 PM
I think Andy will do well next year. But one thing is for sure: If Andy has a slump next year, we can't write him off yet. Pete and Andre both had a year or two without a slam after their first one.

Deboogle!.
12-15-2003, 11:48 PM
heya, you totally didn't even read what I wrote. What I said was that in this particular off-season, everything I've read says that Andy is practicing at home. So if there was a pic of Andy's practicing with a fan, that would mean a fan got to his house, and that would be bad. Obviously, fans meet Andy and take pics with him all the time, duh.

I just can't imagine Andy goofing off. He's not the goofing off type... he's always been able to balance the two (work and play) before and I don't see a reason why not. Unless he's completely bullshitting (which I suppose is possible), his success has made him hungrier...I think he had his period of being complacent (pretty much everything after the USO lol)

I dunno... I guess I just feel like it's good to stay positive until/unless there's a reason to feel otherwise. I see him taking a lot of steps in the right direction (getting Spreen, having a trainer LIVE with him, getting a house to be close to his brothers - because a personally happy person is usually professionally successful, changes in his scheduled, etc. etc.), so I'm staying positive for now!

star
12-15-2003, 11:51 PM
I'm sure message board people will write him off, but tennis people know better.

I think Andy has been goofing off because he has been traveling around and playing exhibitions. Maybe he hasn't been, but he likes attention and crowds and acclaim. He's 21. He's a guy.

I hope he has his nose to the grindstone, but if he doesn't I wouldn't be surprised. There is a tendency to take the foot off the pedal when you've achieved a lot. I think we saw him do that at the end of the year. He lost his focus and didn't play with the same focus he had in the summer. That's ok. No player can be 100% focused all the time, but he's got to regain focus if he wants to do well next year.

Deboogle!.
12-15-2003, 11:57 PM
Andy's problem, and several people (including friends and family) have noted it, is that he can't say no, especially to stuff like charity it seems. However, all the charity events (except for his own, which was before thanksgiving) were over about a 10-day period. he was in like 6 states over that time, but it was a short compact period. He had about 2 weeks before thanksgiving, probably took a couple days for the holidays, then about a week before the exhos, 10 days of exhos, and now he has almost a month before tournament play.

That's plenty of time to balance a little play with a lot of work. Ultimately we have no clue how much he's been practicing/focusing. Brad doesn't strike me as the type who would let him "waste" the opportunity of the off-season to work on stuff, especially since it's their first real chance as a team to really work on much of anything specific.

Plus look at some of the other guys - Agassi's with a new baby, Ferrero had a shorter break b/c of Davis Cup and was by far the most burnt-out, and Federer split with his coach.

I dunno.... I just don't have a reason to worry about anything yet. We can't know about much of anything until the season starts and I guess I don't really like speculating without any information lol

heya
12-16-2003, 12:24 AM
I was kidding about stalkers. Come on now, girls
surrounding Andy...how can he resist??? mmmm

heya
12-16-2003, 12:52 AM
I've watched tennis since 1992 with the Seles/Graf,
Sampras/Agassi rivalries, then saw Andy a few times '01-most memorable were FO and USO. I know Andy's emotional tendencies since

He sometimes got really somber, especially
when he got injured, sluggish & unconfident--then lost direction. If I hadn't followed his matches very long, I wouldn't know his behavior.

If he's feeling good and prepared, then he won't
lose focus like during '02 and part of '03.

tangerine_dream
12-16-2003, 03:49 PM
This is an older article but a goodie. As usual, Andy comes out smelling like roses. :yeah:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=dw-roddickruffle&prov=yhoo&type=lgn%20s

So Roddick ruffles a few feathers
by Dan Wetzel
September 10, 2003

NEW YORK – The question for Andy Roddick, just minutes after he was crowned U.S. Open champion on Sunday, came from a British journalist.

He was intrigued that Roddick's big game and rock-and-roll personality could do for men's tennis what the Williams sisters did for the women's game.

So he began asking a sympathetic question. "I think this win's going to have enormous repercussions for the sport – a young guy with a bit of attitude –"

Roddick cut him right off there with a big smile and shouted facetiously, "Attitude? Attitude? I don't have an attitude."

It was pretty funny, at least if you were American and shared Roddick's sense of humor. But if you didn't get it, Roddick may have come across as angry, or rude, or who knows what?

That's part of his problem. And his appeal.

The 21-year-old American is the most intriguing player in men's tennis right now. From his booming serve that clocks more than 140 miles per hour, to his Hollywood looks and movie star girlfriend (Mandy Moore), Rocket Roddick is a happening on and off the court.

His development this summer into a truly elite player – a 19-match winning streak and his first Grand Slam title – gives him the substance to match the style.

But Roddick rubs many international players, journalists and fans the wrong way. He is considered brash and loud, even if by American standards, he is neither. If he played in the NBA, Roddick would be closer to Bryce Drew than Rasheed Wallace.

But after a second-round defeat to Roddick, Croatian Ivan Ljubicic ripped him.

"I don't like him," Ljubicic said. "Nobody in the locker room likes his acting on the court. He's a good player. But not because he's like that. It's just we don't like it. Because nobody acts that way. He's the only one.

"I'm just telling you the feeling of the guys in the locker room," Ljubicic said. "Every single player said to me, 'Good luck. Kick his ass.' "

After a semifinal defeat to Roddick, David Nalbandian, a Spaniard, expressed similar disdain and suggested that umpire calls were swayed toward him. Nalbandian even spit twice at the umpire at the end of the match.

Roddick says he doesn't care about the criticism, and he probably shouldn't. International players spent a fortnight here crying about everything from the fans to the traffic.

And while Roddick plays with emotion – in the semis to vent frustration he slammed a ball into the stands and another time shook the net – his behavior at the Open wasn't out of the ordinary.

He certainly didn't spit at anyone.

"Everybody has their own personality and their own feelings about what tennis should be and the way it should be played," said Jimmy Connors, whose emotional style and confrontations with officials are legendary.

"Criticism is a part of everybody's success. And you know, for him, to make a jump to the forefront like he has, criticism is all a part of that. It's the way you handle it that counts."

Roddick doesn't look like a guy who is going to change, especially now that he is playing so well. He also fails to see what he is doing that is so grating.

"I try to treat everybody with a lot of respect," he said. "I'm not mean to people. I'm very courteous to people."

The reality is: All of this is good for tennis, which despite its country-club lineage isn't any different than other sports.

It is at its best when there are rivalries, and not always friendly ones.

Men's tennis currently has an abundance of young stars. Seven of the top 10 players in the world are 25 or under, including the last three Grand Slam champs: Roddick, Roger Federer (Wimbledon) and Juan Carlos Ferrero (French Open).

"It's certainly shaping up to be a really good group," Roddick said. "I think it's gonna make for a real exciting group."

And, perhaps, a contentious one.

If in Europe Roddick is booed a bit, so be it. Just expect vice versa in the United States. Some white hats and black hats, a little bad blood and colorful press, can only help. It worked for Connors and John McEnroe, after all, and you get the sense Roddick knows that well.

"I'm just kind of pumped to be a part of it," he said with a smile.

Deboogle!.
12-16-2003, 04:03 PM
interesting article... Andy almost always comes out looking good because he keeps his mouth shut. He obviously learned the lesson from his parents that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it. Even in the US post-USO appearances he did on Letterman, Kilborn, etc... he ran around the Ljubicic question (I think on Letterman he just said "oh he's a dork" or something like that)...

so whatever. we know the truth about the kind of person Andy is and if other people think he's rude/arrogant/jerk then they're the ones losing out on being a fan of a really cool person :)

One thing the article is wrong about is that Andy is booed outside the US... he isn't, he may not always be the #1 fan choice, but he always gets some cheers because he makes tennis exciting to watch and it's appealing!

tangerine_dream
12-16-2003, 04:14 PM
http://www.itechnology.co.za/index.php?click_id=4&art_id=vn20031216092859561C671781&set_id=6

A new breed rising in tennis

December 16 2003

The balance of power in tennis seesawed dramatically in 2003 before settling firmly on the side of Belgium and youth.

A schizophrenic 12 months began with a "Serena Slam" and the 32-year-old Andre Agassi becoming the oldest men's grand slam champion for three decades in Australia.

It finished with Belgians Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters dominating the women's game and Andy Roddick heading a new generation of men's pretenders to replace the departed Pete
Sampras.

The Williams sisters' year was tinged with misfortune, controversy and tragedy.

Serena's victory at the Australian Open meant she became the fifth woman to hold all four grand slam singles titles simultaneously.

But that was as good as it got.

Her tantrum at the French Open in June, when she was goaded by an unsporting crowd and later accused her semifinal conqueror Henin of "lying and fabricating", left a sour taste.

Serena had a subdued victory over injury-stricken older sister Venus in the Wimbledon final a month later.

Venus did not play again and a nagging knee injury curtailed Serena's season and cost her the No 1 ranking.

In an awful end to a difficult year, their elder sister Yetunde was shot dead in Los Angeles in September.

Next season will prove a severe test of both their resilience and appetite.

Henin and Clijsters, previously unable to compete with the Williams power, saw their chance and grabbed it.

With her steely resolve and beautiful technique, Henin added the US Open crown to the French Open title, showing a ruthless streak to beat the more powerful but seemingly over-awed Clijsters in each final.

The Belgian pair quickly ousted Serena from the top of the rankings, finishing one and two respectively.

Belgian tennis is still pinching itself.

So too is American Andy Roddick after ending the year with his maiden grand slam success at the US Open in September and the number one ranking.

To some Roddick, 21, is brash, to others he is a breath of fresh air. But his recruitment of the streetwise Brad Gilbert as coach was a masterstroke and few opponents can now cope with the all-court game he possesses.

At 32, Sampras blinked away tears as he confirmed his retirement after a record 14 grand slam titles in a ceremony at Flushing Meadow in August.

Fittingly, his farewell took place on the same centre court where, 13 days later, Roddick was to pick up the Sampras mantle by beating Spain's Juan Carlos Ferrero in the US Open final.

Switzerland's former world number one Martina Hingis quit at the much more tender age of 22, while former grand slam winners Richard Krajicek, Michael Chang and Pat Rafter also retired.

One player who proved he could live with Roddick was Roger Federer who also secured his maiden grand slam.

An entirely different animal to his American rival, Federer used his feline touch and lazy brilliance to become the first Swiss men's grand slam singles champion when he won Wimbledon with some of the most extravagant stroke-playing the All England club has witnessed.

En route he outclassed Roddick in the semifinals and the 22-year-old capped his year by winning the Masters Cup in Houston. His battle for supremacy with Roddick in 2004 will be fascinating.

Elegant Spaniard Juan Carlos Ferrero also enjoyed himself, ending the surprise run of Dutchman Martin Verkerk to win the French Open title on his favoured clay.

The new wave left Australian Lleyton Hewitt, who started the year as number one, floundering.

A disciplinary row with the ATP tarnished his early season and Hewitt ended it ranked only 17.

He did help Australia to another Davis Cup triumph earlier this month but that only partially made up for the disappointment of surrendering his Wimbledon crown in an extraordinary first-round defeat by Croatian Ivo Karlovic.

Hewitt's compatriot and Wimbledon runner-up Mark Philippoussis was the hero of the nation's 28th Davis Cup triumph in Melbourne, where they beat Spain 3-1. He overcame a chest injury to win the decisive rubber against Ferrero.

The women's Fed Cup was won in Moscow by France, thanks mainly to Amelie Mauresmo.

Martina Navratilova, well into her fourth decade of top-level tennis, showed no sign of gathering moss.

Described by Frenchman Guy Forget as the Mick Jagger of tennis, she won the mixed doubles titles at the Australian Open and Wimbledon, played in the Fed Cup final for the United States and in 2004, at the age of 47, hopes to compete for Olympic gold in Athens.

Deboogle!.
12-16-2003, 04:19 PM
I read that one yesterday.... it's sort of a weird article don't you think? LOL

J. Corwin
12-16-2003, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the articles. How was that one weird?

Deboogle!.
12-16-2003, 06:38 PM
I dunno I just read it and was like.. oh, ok. lol. I dunno can't explain it

tangerine_dream
12-16-2003, 06:47 PM
Maybe it was weird because it's not often tennis analysis articles don't focus exclusively on Andy "the savior of American tennis" Roddick. :devil:

I mean, this weird article only mentions Andy by name three times. What's up with that? :scratch: :lol:

Deboogle!.
12-16-2003, 08:18 PM
lol no not at all, I dunno I just thought it was sort of random or something lol....

MisterQ
12-18-2003, 02:03 AM
Didn't know where to post this ---- excerpt from an interview a few months ago:

Reporter:* Andy, Roger was given a cow after he won Wimbledon, did you ever get a weird gift like that after winning an event?

Andy Roddick:* Like that?* No.* I don't know if I'd want livestock, if I won.
[LAUGHTER]
How much are cows worth over there?

Reporter:* I think they're gold.

Andy Roddick:* Can you trade it in for a car?
[LAUGHTER]

Reporter:* Was there anything in particular you learned your last match against Federer?

Andy Roddick:* Yeah, but if I learned it, I probably wouldn't tell you and everyone else about it.
[LAUGHTER]

Havok
12-18-2003, 02:11 AM
i remember that interview:haha:

heya
12-18-2003, 08:11 AM
Up the road at Ibis, Swingtime had its best year ever, with 2,500 fans turning out Saturday to watch James Blake beat Andy Roddick, 8-4, in the featured tennis match. Roddick can be forgiven, having played another match in Atlanta at a charity event for Ryan Vhaly before flying down on a private jet.

Blake stayed around to play in the pro-celeb golf match Sunday, won by Todd Martin's team, which included his mom, while the team of another tennis star, Mardy Fish, finished third.

With all the hoopla of charity matches and TV appearances over, Roddick can now concentrate on his game. He is ranked No. 1 but hasn't won a tournament since his U.S. Open triumph in September. He had hoped to train in Texas, but hitting partners are scarce out there, so he and coach Brad Gilbert will try to do the job in Boca.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/accent/content/auto/epaper/editions/tuesday/accent_f3edc3d60069a0bc0060.html

star
12-18-2003, 12:10 PM
Well, so much for training hard and developing over the hiatus.

Players complain about the season being too long and then they constantly play exhibitions. Now Andy is going to begin training, and it is only about 3 weeks until he starts playing tournament tennis.

Deboogle!.
12-18-2003, 12:55 PM
I don't know that I'd take that one blurb in a newspaper to mean much. Andy IS in Texas, according to Vahaly anyway (who said he's going to train with him in Austin) so I don't know that I trust that. Plus, it doesn't say that he wasn't working hard before the exhibitions too. Then again I don't trust anything I read in the newspaper.

Andy worked really hard last year in the off-season and saw the benefits of that (playing two extremely long and hard 5-setters in the matter of a couple days and no cramps in the AO) so I don't think he's gonna let up. Just my hunch.

star
12-18-2003, 01:38 PM
I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

How many exhibitions has he played anyway?

Deboogle!.
12-18-2003, 01:56 PM
well of course :) If he comes out in Doha and Melbourne and sucks monkey butt I'll be the first to yell about it lol... I just hate speculating and accusing him of not working hard when we have no idea.

Not including his own event (which was a couple weeks prior and we can't say he hadn't been practicing b/c Brad was there with him lol), in December he played a few all in a matter of about 9 days - Baltimore, Little Rock, New Orleans, Lexington (Kentucky), and then a few days later this past weekend he did 2 in one day - in Atlanta for Brian's event and in Florida for the Gullickson event. I may be missing one in there somewhere.

He's always done these exhos though, maybe not quite this many but he's always done a few, and it never seemed to affect his training before.

I'll put it this way, I don't think he would've gotten Spreen and a live-in trainer if he wasn't pretty serious.

J. Corwin
12-18-2003, 04:04 PM
Wanting to be serious (and therefore hiring Spreen, etc) and actually working hard are two different animals.

But I'm not gonna keep debating on this issue.

Deboogle!.
12-18-2003, 04:24 PM
Well yes of course, but Spreen couldn't have come cheaply... it gets to a point where it's like why bother? I just can't imagine those two things NOT going hand in hand, I guess

But I agree, debating is pointless because we just do not know what will happen. All we can do is hope for the best!!

Havok
12-18-2003, 05:25 PM
um these exo's are more like "hits and giggles" where they just have fun, not strenuous. how can a super tie break, or a one set match be that hard on the body:lol: and it's not like these things last all day, i'm sure Andy has been practicing in the mourning, Andy always says he can't be apart from tennis for too long orelse he'll go crazy or something.

Deboogle!.
12-18-2003, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Andy had a mild case of ADHD.... no, I kid. but I get your point Naldo - no one said the exhos were strenuous - but then again it's nice to have match play, even if it's with a lot of joking and stuff. Every volley, backhand, return, slice, whatever is practice :)

Deboogle!.
12-18-2003, 06:16 PM
by the way, I hope Andy hasn't been practicing during the "mourning" that would be very sad... lol I'm sorry, I couldn't resist

Havok
12-18-2003, 07:26 PM
DAMN IT i always do that, write mourning instead of morning. :haha: at myself

Deboogle!.
12-18-2003, 08:15 PM
LOL!! :hug:

MisterQ
12-18-2003, 08:41 PM
A report of a kind deed and smart thinking by Andy, from the 2002 USO. (from a "diary" entry by A.J. Chabria of TennisOne):

After the match, Andy was mobbed and it almost got ugly. The throngs of teenage girls complained that there were just too many young kids in their way. One such kid, Chaz Nagy, an 8 year old from Lawrenceville, New Jersey was getting crushed. I caught up with him after the ordeal. “I couldn’t breathe”, he said, recanting the disorienting scene. He explained how Roddick noticed him and ordered everyone to stop the stampede. “Then he made a security guard, like, lift me out of there and get me some water”, Chaz said.
After making sure the boy was okay, Roddick raced over to his bag and pulled out the racquet he’d just won with and presented it to Chaz, putting his arm around the little guy.

Chaz’ dad, Charlie Nagy was impressed with the way Roddick handled the situation. He gushed, “Andy went above and beyond…he really did the right thing. Later on, when we went to thank him, he posed with us for a family picture (mother Mary Joe and sister Erica joined the party) and signed the grip of his racquet for Chaz.”

Havok
12-18-2003, 08:56 PM
Andy :hug: just further proves he's a good guy:)

Deboogle!.
12-18-2003, 09:11 PM
awwwwwwwwwwww that rocks.. thank you MisterQ! You just never hear a bad word about him, ever.

Deboogle!.
12-19-2003, 12:47 AM
Andy was picked as #8 star of the year by People Mag! Yay!! :woohoo:

http://i.timeinc.net/people/images/features/magstories/031229/aroddick.jpg
NICEST ACE: Armed with a killer serve and looks to match, 2003 U.S. Open champion Andy Roddick has garnered a following most rock stars would envy. But the Saturday Night Live-hosting boyfriend of pop star Mandy Moore insists he's just a tennis player (albeit the top-ranked one). "My future is to play tennis. That game is who I am."