01-07-2004, 07:53 PM
nice, thanks.

tangerine_dream
01-10-2004, 08:48 PM
From the Herald Sun:

Andy thrives in the spotlight
By PAUL MALONE
11jan04

CELEBRITY time has become a time of reckoning for the speed king of tennis, Andy Roddick, as he returns to Australia to defend his tilted crown.

Roddick's second-round loss this week in his first tournament since he stormed the last six months of 2003 to win the US Open and the world No. 1 ranking came as an immediate warning of how hard it will be for him to emulate Lleyton Hewitt's feat of becoming the year-end No. 1 two years in a row.

He became a major media star after his emotional US Open final win in September, giving Americans an exuberant young champion with a lively wit and the added celebrity factor of having a singer-actor girlfriend, Mandy Moore.

Roddick, 21, was even invited to host and act in US television comedy show Saturday Night Live in November when he was heckled in his stand-up monologue, according to the script, by audience member John McEnroe.

Roddick's listless 3-6, 4-6 loss to Swede Jonas Bjorkman in the Doha, Qatar, tournament came about, Bjorkman said, because of patience and a plan of working over the 2003 world champion's weaker backhand side.

Roddick, who equalled Greg Rusedski's world record fastest serve of 239km/h last year, could leave the Australian Open as the fourth deposed world No. 1 if he is unable to maintain a narrow 160-point rankings lead over Wimbledon and Tennis Masters Cup winner Roger Federer.

"I don't think it's gonna happen every year where I get on a roll like I did last (northern) summer and have everything kind of go your way," said Roddick, best known to Australian sports followers for his past-midnight 2003 Australian quarter-final in which he nudged out Younes El Aynaoui 21-19 in a gripping fifth set.

"It was a dream year for me. I realise that as well as I was playing, there was a good amount of luck involved with that. Everybody is still going to have off days.

"He (Federer) is probably the most talented player on the planet right now. You have to throw a lot of guys into the mix for this year.

"I want to stay No. 1 for a second year and a third. But I mainly just want to keep improving. I might finish (2004) ranked third or fifth, but feel like I'm a better player."

Roddick, Federer, 22, and four-time Australian Open champion Andre Agassi will conclude their Open preparations when they play the Commonwealth Bank International at Kooyong starting on Wednesday.

"That sounds like a pretty good format, to get there, get a couple matches in your legs," Roddick said. "I know (coach) Brad (Gilbert) doesn't like me playing too many tournaments (before a Grand Slam).

"I am going to Australia fully confident. I thought playing in Doha would help me prepare well for Australia."

Roddick has a personality better suited than most elite sportsmen to slip more easily in and out of the showbiz demands of being a new-flavour sensation sought by an institution such as Saturday Night Live.

"I can't believe they're letting you host. You're a punk. You're not funny. I could do better than you," McEnroe ranted at Roddick from the studio audience.

"I was No. 1 for four years. You've been No. 1 for, like, four days. God ... and I'm in the audience."

In other sketches on the show, Roddick acted as a teenage "pothead" and played himself as he rejected the efforts of an actor playing the part of Richard Williams, father of the Williams sisters, to adopt him.

"I'm a very bad actor, extremely bad. John's future on Broadway - that's not looking good, either," Roddick said.

"It actually kept me away from the craziness (associated with becoming No. 1 in tennis) and I could kind of go to the Tennis Masters Cup with a fresh head.

"I'm no longer the kid who got more attention than he deserved. It's nice to actually deserve some of the attention."

There will be plenty of tour insiders hoping Roddick is a short-lived world No. 1.

Croatian Ivan Ljubicic and Ecuadorian Nicolas Lapentti are two players who have criticised his often brash on-court persona and comments to crowds and officials.

Ljubicic said after losing to Roddick at the US Open that no one in the players' locker room liked the American and many had urged him to "kick his a---" in the match.

Roddick won full marks for his courage, at least, when he found Ljubicic's hotel number and rang him about 1.30am to challenge his criticisms. The next day, Ljubicic backed down on the most contentious of his comments.

tangerine_dream
01-10-2004, 08:59 PM
Also from the Herald Sun:

Roddick a super spur for Robby
By JACKIE EPSTEIN
11jan04

IF Andy Roddick can rise to the world No. 1 ranking, then his close friend Robby Ginepri believes he can, too.
The pair grew up playing tennis together in the US and have followed a similar path into professional ranks.

Both are in Melbourne to contest the Commonwealth Bank International, which starts at Kooyong on Wednesday.

"We played together throughout juniors and I'm really happy for him," Ginepri said. "It's good to see someone from our generation making it to No. 1. It makes me think that if he can do it, then why can't I?"

Ginepri, 21, entered the top 30 for the first time last year and won his first ATP tournament in Newport in July - success all the more impressive considering he was injured for three months with a wrist problem.

He is not afraid to aim high, predicting he can break into the top 10.

"With the strides I've been taking, I think it's very possible this year," Ginepri said. "That's definitely my plan and I think I can do it."

Tournament director Colin Stubs said Ginepri was "Courier-like" in his approach.

He moulds his game on that of Andre Agassi and boasts similar strengths.

"I like to take the ball early and I'm quick around the court," Ginepri said.

"I think (Roger) Federer has got the best game, but I really like Andre Agassi."

Joining Ginepri and Roddick at Kooyong are Federer, Agassi, David Nalbandian, Sebastien Grosjean, Younes El Aynaoui and Taylor Dent.

El Aynaoui arrived in Melbourne at 3am yesterday. He pulled out of an event in Qatar as a precautionary measure after feeling sore in an ankle.

Ginepri practised at Melbourne Park yesterday morning and is hoping to have his first hit at Kooyong today.

Roddick, Federer and Agassi ended the year winning four of the five major tennis events.

"I've heard about this event only last year and the field is really tough," Ginepri said.

"I was debating if I should go to Auckland or come to Melbourne, but I think it's the best preparation in order to do the best at the Australian Open. I can get used to the heat and the courts."

Deboogle!.
01-10-2004, 11:51 PM
Can anyone, or does anyone know anyone who can access the London Times? They have an interview with Andy

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2094-958960,00.html

J. Corwin
01-11-2004, 02:00 AM
I'd like to read that interview too.

star
01-11-2004, 02:10 AM
Maybe someone can ask jptson or sjengster if they can get it for us. That's two brits who don't absolutey despise andy fans. :)

Deboogle!.
01-11-2004, 06:08 PM
I got the Times interview but I'm starting a new thread for it. it's THAT GOOD.

tangerine_dream
01-11-2004, 07:29 PM
I got the Times interview but I'm starting a new thread for it. it's THAT GOOD.

You rock! :rocker2: :kiss: :bowdown:

J. Corwin
01-11-2004, 08:21 PM
aww...thanks Debbie

Deboogle!.
01-11-2004, 08:33 PM
aww...thanks Debbie

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm ok now. Jace don't do that again!!

J. Corwin
01-11-2004, 09:38 PM
oops. so sorry. I forgot about your intense dislike for that nicky. :)

Deboogle!.
01-11-2004, 09:43 PM
you will be forgiven. this time.... lol

J. Corwin
01-11-2004, 09:46 PM
Nice to know I'm forgiven. I do wonder what would happen if I call you that again though. lol

Deboogle!.
01-11-2004, 09:47 PM
I hope you don't wonder enough to try :devil:

J. Corwin
01-11-2004, 09:51 PM
I shall not be trying. :angel:

Deboogle!.
01-13-2004, 01:51 AM
Roddick says doping not a problem in tennis
Tue 13 January, 2004 02:26

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - World number one Andy Roddick says doping is not a problem in tennis, even though Britain's Greg Rusedski and Mariano Puerta of Argentina have recently tested positive for banned drugs.

"I know the players who I play with are clean," Roddick told reporters as he prepared for the Kooyong Classic exhibition event which begins here on Wednesday.

"I see on a daily basis how hard people work. That's the way I approach it.

"It takes just a couple of people who maybe have done the wrong thing to put the focus there (on doping)," said American Roddick.

Rusedski admitted last week that he tested positive for the steroid nandrolone at a tournament in Indianapolis last July.

But the left-hander has denied taking performance-enhancing drugs and will carry on playing until a hearing in Montreal on February 9.

Rusedski said 47 players had shown elevated levels of nandrolone and argued that he had been singled out.

Organisers of next week's Australian Open have said that Rusedski will be welcome at the first grand slam of the season.

Last Wednesday, Puerta was banned for nine months, fined and stripped of ranking points after testing positive for clenbuterol during an ATP event in Chile last year.

Among the players joining Roddick at the Kooyong event will be Australian Open champion Andre Agassi and Wimbledon champion Roger Federer.