Andy Articles!!!!!! [Archive] - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

Andy Articles!!!!!!

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Havok
12-19-2003, 01:18 AM
HOLY F***ING SHIT:eek::eek: he was picked #8 from what kind of list. a list of just athletes, or did he make the list of top 10 people ranging from anywhere? was he the only althese? vamos Andy:rocker2:

Deboogle!.
12-19-2003, 01:26 AM
I got it off another site, I don't subscribe to People so I don't have the code to get into the site. I think it's of ANYONE

Havok
12-19-2003, 01:34 AM
yup, i figured you got it off another site, so i went to check RnR, went to the people magazine website, and even though i can't get any access they listed Jessica Simpson and the O.C. gang, so it's of ANYONE. pretty freakin amazing if you ask me:rocker2::banana::yippee::woohoo:

Havok
12-19-2003, 01:35 AM
oh and bunk, i think you'll LOVE this article i just found, go Andy in Athens:rocker2:

Gilbert: Roddick will play in Athens Games

December 18, 2003
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Andy Roddick will play in the Olympic tennis tournament this summer.

``Athens 2004 -- we're definitely going,'' Roddick's coach, Brad Gilbert, said Thursday.

The top-ranked Roddick is eligible for the Summer Games because he plays in Davis Cup competition. The Olympic tournament is Aug. 15-22, ending eight days before the start of the U.S. Open, where Roddick will defend his first major title.

ADVERTISEMENT

Roddick hired Gilbert, who previously coached Andre Agassi, after a first-round loss in the French Open. With Gilbert, Roddick reached the Wimbledon semifinals, won the U.S. Open and rose to No. 1 in the rankings.

Gilbert, who spoke at an Oakland Athletics' fund-raiser, is enthusiastic about the Olympics.

``I was with Andre when he won gold in '96 in Atlanta, and I played on the team in Seoul in '88,'' Gilbert said. ``It was a great experience.''

Two former No. 1 players recently said they will skip the Olympics.

Two-time major champion Lleyton Hewitt said the Athens competition is too close to the U.S. Open, while his girlfriend, Kim Clijsters, pulled out because she won't be allowed to wear apparel from her own sponsor.

Deboogle!.
12-19-2003, 01:43 AM
yea I just read that

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

*not even gonna touch the topic about Brad being in California*

Deboogle!.
12-19-2003, 01:44 AM
oh and yes, people mag thing=way cool! :)

Havok
12-19-2003, 01:59 AM
does Gilbert live in California? and i thought the whole training thing was already cleared up, and it said it was some fund raiser thing, just like Andy was globe-trotting around the US with his exhibition/charity matches. no need to worry people, Andy can't be away from tennis for more than 3 days

tangerine_dream
12-19-2003, 03:02 AM
WOW. Andy ranked No. 8 in People magazine for People of 2003!!?? Andy giving his signed racket to a young fan who was nearly crushed to death?? ANDY DEFINITELY DOING THE OLYMPICS!!???

Can it get any better?????

:woohoo: :banana: :woohoo: :banana: :woohoo:

Deboogle!.
12-19-2003, 03:15 AM
WOW. Andy ranked No. 8 in People magazine for People of 2003!!?? Andy giving his signed racket to a young fan who was nearly crushed to death?? ANDY DEFINITELY DOING THE OLYMPICS!!???

Can it get any better?????

:woohoo: :banana: :woohoo: :banana: :woohoo:

teehee, sure it can, but for now...... I'll taaaaaaake it!!!!!! :D *dance*

Yea Naldo Brad is from the Oakland area - or at least that's where his family (wife+kids) live now, hence why he's a Raiders fanatic. I know it's entirely possible he only went there for a couple days, and it's not like Andy can't practice without him for a little while lmfao... I was just saying *HANDS OFF* lol

MisterQ
12-19-2003, 03:18 AM
Yes, our man is popular!

They like me! They really like me!
:yippee: :woohoo:

(*misterQ lives vicariously through Andy*)

Havok
12-19-2003, 03:22 AM
lmfao MisterQ

Deboogle!.
12-19-2003, 04:00 AM
Here's People's whole list from someone who can get into the website:

Jessica Simpson
"The O.C."
50 Cent
Olsen Twins
JOHNNY DEPP
Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin
Eva Mendes
Andy Roddick
Britney Spears
Tom Cruise
The Dixie Chicks
"Friends"
"Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"
Keira Knightley
Paris Hilton & Nicole Richie
Hilary Duff
====

GOOOOOO Andy!

Deboogle!.
12-19-2003, 04:20 AM
ohhhhhhh on the Couples list too!!

"PUPPY LOVE: For Mandy Moore and Andy Roddick (in New York in July), the score is definitely love-love. Since Moore had her mom invite Roddick to the set of How to Deal in 2002, the pair has been the picture of puppy love. "He knows me better than anyone, and I know him better than anyone," Moore told PEOPLE in September."

Beyonce & Jay-Z
Calista Flockhart & Harrison Ford
Trista Rehn & Ryan Sutter
Halle Berry & Eric Benet
Cameron Diaz & Justin Timberlake
Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher
Jessica Simpson & Nick Lachey
Mandy Moore & Andy Roddick
Uma Thurman & Ethan Hawke
Nicole Kidman & Lenny Kravitz
Kristen Dunst & Jake Gyllenhaal
Jennifer Lopez & Ben Affleck

J. Corwin
12-19-2003, 07:57 AM
nice!

star
12-19-2003, 12:33 PM
does Gilbert live in California? and i thought the whole training thing was already cleared up, and it said it was some fund raiser thing, just like Andy was globe-trotting around the US with his exhibition/charity matches. no need to worry people, Andy can't be away from tennis for more than 3 days

Brad lives in California. I think he lives around the Oakland area.

Prophetic
12-19-2003, 03:32 PM
that couples list...uhhhh..aren't Uma and Ethan getting divorced??

Deboogle!.
12-19-2003, 03:37 PM
a lot of them have separated on that list lol.... Halle and Eric are separated and Nicole Kidman & Lenny Kravitz never even confirmed they were a couple. I think that list is about "most talked about couples" and therefore it makes a little more sense lol

Havok
12-19-2003, 04:30 PM
damn the O.C didn't make #1, they should have. jessica simpson:rolleyes: how the heck did the olsen twins/eva mendez get higher than Andy.
*will stop complaining now, Andy's the only sports dude in there:woohoo:*
and :rocker2: for Andy/Mandy making the list of the couples. ok lets call them Roddick/Moore, just sounds better than the rhyming tune of Andy/Mandy

Havok
12-19-2003, 04:32 PM
i think PEOPLE magazine has a thing for #8 and Andy, he's #8 on the singles and couples list:lol:
Trista&Ryan:fiery::fiery::fiery: i can't stand these people. so fake and full of crap. uses the nbs whatever station to milk out sooooooooo much money for their dumbass wedding:rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
12-19-2003, 05:33 PM
lol Naldo, according to someone who got into the website, they weren't in particular order

Havok
12-19-2003, 05:39 PM
ok then, but lets keep it in order, just switch the OC with Jessica simpson:rocker2: its fun to see Andy beat out Britney and that stupid Hilary Duff. and Roddick/Moore better than Bennifer:rocker2:

Deboogle!.
12-19-2003, 05:41 PM
lol I love Jessica, and Bennifer, so I don't care... but at least the list is in no particular order lol

I wonder when this issue goes on sale, I might have to buy it - I like a lot of the people on their lists for once (usually People mag lists suck monkey ass)

Prophetic
12-19-2003, 08:42 PM
a lot of them have separated on that list lol.... Halle and Eric are separated and Nicole Kidman & Lenny Kravitz never even confirmed they were a couple. I think that list is about "most talked about couples" and therefore it makes a little more sense lol

ooooooooooh...ok, that makes more sense now, lmao

tangerine_dream
12-19-2003, 08:45 PM
I usually get my People mag on Fridays. Can't wait to see Andy in it. :bounce:

Havok
12-19-2003, 08:59 PM
are you able to scan the pics through tangerine? i'm pretty sure i know which they are, him w/ Mandy at how to deal premier, the picture that we see time and time again. and the other is him kissing his US Open trophy :rocker2:

Deboogle!.
12-19-2003, 09:33 PM
if I can get my hands on the issue, I'll scan it if tangerine can't :)

J. Corwin
12-19-2003, 10:49 PM
thanks, I'd like to see those pics

Havok
12-20-2003, 12:34 AM
thank you oh so much

Deboogle!.
12-20-2003, 12:38 AM
oh so anything for you, Naldo dearest lol

Havok
12-20-2003, 12:59 AM
:haha: so did everyone watch the clip of the TMS behind the scenes. please tell me you were :haha: when there was DEAD silence for FEderer/Coria, and also :haha: at Daveeeeeed:baby: and the face he was pulling

Deboogle!.
12-20-2003, 01:39 AM
what do you mean dead silence?

David, though not my fave by any means, didn't have a face on - he was posing for a picture and right after, they show him laughing lol

Havok
12-20-2003, 01:42 AM
dead silence= you can here the crickets in the background. Federer and Coria said NOTHING, and rewatch the Nalbandian bit, and look at his face during the pose:haha:

Deboogle!.
12-20-2003, 01:44 AM
well they were just sitting there lol.... not like the others who were actually doing stuff lol

Rainer is kinda cute though with his "ohhhh there are Germans here!" squeal

Havok
12-20-2003, 01:51 AM
which is why it was so funny. but im sure its gonna be a whole lot of that with Federer/Coria. and the Nalbandian part bunk??? did you see the psycho face:haha:

Deboogle!.
12-20-2003, 01:54 AM
I saw the face but I didn't find it psycho... he was posing for a picture lol

Havok
12-20-2003, 02:33 AM
bah, then i guess its just me. but there was one Nalbandian pic this year where he was scubadiving or something next to a tank, and he had a deranged face on in the picture. thats where i made the connection

tangerine_dream
12-20-2003, 02:51 AM
I'll scan the pics in as soon as I get them. :bounce:

The preview for the documentary was pretty good. For some reason, Fed didn't say a word, he just posed on the couch. Everybody else seemed to be saying or doing something (or in Andy's case, yelling about something again. lol) Andre cracks me up, he seemed to be having a ball. Schuettler made me smile when he got excited over seeing other Germans in the arena. Daveeed's :baby: pose for the camera was ridiculously over the top and reeked of self-importance. What a toad. :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
12-20-2003, 02:53 AM
oh cool thanks tangerine! will save me the money of buying it lmao!!

hey get 'yer butt back on AIM! :p

Havok
12-20-2003, 03:31 AM
YES someone finally sees the Daveeeeeeeeeed :baby: face i was talking about. people get msn:sad: i wanna talk :rocker2:

J. Corwin
12-20-2003, 09:52 AM
lol just sign onto aim, now that you've re-installed it.

Deboogle!.
12-20-2003, 02:49 PM
here's an article about Brad (and therefore Andy lol) - at first I was like "aw he has to fly out on christmas" but then I realized it didn't matter to him :lol:

Before we get the "Andy isn't practicing since he and Brad are apart for a week" stuff, I think it's a good thing. Their partnership is obviously working but to keep it fresh they've gotta have time apart too. I think Andy is spending time before Christmas in Texas and we know Vahaly is going out and he's got the new trainer, so I'm sure he's still working hard.
===
Dave Albee: Jesse Foppert, Brad Gilbert show mutual respect
SONOMA

THEY COME FROM two different sports worlds with a different set of objectives.

In Brad Gilbert's arena, the idea is to hit the ball inside the lines.

In Jesse Foppert's arena, the goal to hit the ball out of the park.

In Gilbert's line of work, it's been his job to bring out the best in heavy-hitters such as Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick.

In Foppert's line of work, it's been his job to bring out the worst in heavy-hitters such as Sammy Sosa and Gary Sheffield.

In Gilbert's game, there are tiebreakers.

In Foppert's game, there are no ties, except when Bud Selig gets involved.

Yet, in spite of their differences, which includes a 19-year age difference, Gilbert and Foppert have formed a sort of mutual

admiration society over the years though, until yesterday at the "Holiday Sobriety Challenge" at Infineon Raceway, they had never bumped into each other. They were finally driven to drink and drive together.

Gilbert, who spans the globe to coach Roddick on the tennis tour, offered that he has admired Foppert, a Giants pitcher. Foppert

admitted that he has long admired Gilbert's house, which rests on the hillside overlooking San Rafael High School, from which Foppert graduated in 1998.

The big house on the hill and the guy who pays its mortgage represented a symbol of achievement to Foppert and friends, but now the 23-year-old pitcher has made a mark for himself. He won eight games in his rookie season with the Giants this year before he underwent season-ending "Tommy John" surgery on his right elbow. It was first believed that Foppert would miss this entire season, but yesterday he said he's been throwing on the side for two weeks and is talking about being able to pitch in August.

Foppert has been working out with Giants trainer Stan Conte, a Novato native, five times a week at SBC Park. He hasn't pitched from the mound, but he has been throwing down at a target. And this week, Foppert got a new workout partner, Tyler Walker of Ross.

"I didn't even know that we signed him," Foppert said.

Walker, a 6-foot-3, 230-pound right-handed pitcher, signed a minor league contract with the Giants, the team announced yesterday. Originally a second-round draft pick by the Mets in 1997, Walker was 2-9 with a 4.45 ERA last season with Detroit's Triple-A affiliate, the Toledo Mud Hens.

Foppert obviously sounds ahead of schedule on his road to recovery. He had surgery on Sept. 16 and on Oct. 6 - the day after the Giants were eliminated from the playoffs - the pitcher became engaged to girlfriend, McKenna Morton, daughter of former NFL Super Bowl and Cal quarterback Craig Morton.

Yesterday Foppert found himself and his fiancee explaining how they first met Gilbert, who, 90 minutes earlier, was a complete stranger. Sort of.

"I'm definitely aware of him," Foppert said. "I saw him at the U.S. Open."

That's where Gilbert was sitting in the grandstand at courtside, coaching Roddick to his first Grand Slam singles title. Gilbert was at Roddick's side, too, when the 21-year-old tennis star hosted NBC's "Saturday Night Live." As soon as the TV show was over, the two headed to the airport to fly to Houston, where Roddick was to compete in the Tennis Masters Cup.

Gilbert, who was taped hitting groundballs to Oakland first baseman Scott Hatteberg on Thursday for Fox's "The Best Damn Sports Show Period," is ready to go on the run with Roddick again. On Christmas night, he's flying to Boca Raton, Fla., where Roddick lives, to begin nine days of training in preparation for the Australian Open, which starts Jan. 19.

Meanwhile, Foppert, who lives in San Francisco, will be getting ready to go to spring training in Scottsdale, Ariz., where he will resume his rehabilitation.

Gilbert will be watching.

"I'm a huge A's fans. I'm not a Giants fan except for I'm a huge Barry Bonds fan," Gilbert said. "But, just like the rest of San Rafael, it's 'Let's go, Jesse.' Every one of his starts (last season) that I could pay attention to, I was rooting for him big-time. I hope his arm gets better and he wins 20 games. I mean, this is San Rafael's own."

San Rafael's very own mutual admiration society, too.

tangerine_dream
12-20-2003, 06:06 PM
Well bummer! It would figure that the one People issue I'm anxiously waiting for didn't arrive today. :( I guess I'll get it on Monday. My issues are usually never late (except when Andy's in them ;) ).

Anyways, I was able to get on the People.com site to see the photos and text. I've posted them here. If the photos are different in the print magazine, I will scan those in and post them here for you all. :bounce:

STARS OF THE YEAR - ANDY RODDICK
NICEST ACE: Armed with a killer serve and looks to match, 2003 U.S. Open champion Andy Roddick has garnered a following most rock stars would envy. But the Saturday Night Live-hosting boyfriend of pop star Mandy Moore insists he's just a tennis player (albeit the top-ranked one). "My future is to play tennis. That game is who I am."

tangerine_dream
12-20-2003, 06:08 PM
MOST TALKED-ABOUT COUPLES: MANDY MOORE & ANDY RODDICK
PUPPY LOVE: For Mandy Moore and Andy Roddick (in New York in July), the score is definitely love-love. Since Moore had her mom invite Roddick to the set of How to Deal in 2002, the pair has been the picture of puppy love. "He knows me better than anyone, and I know him better than anyone," Moore told PEOPLE in September.

Deboogle!.
12-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Andyways,

OMFG :haha:

:worship:

tangerine_dream
12-20-2003, 06:31 PM
OMFG :haha: :worship:

:haha: Whoops, a little freudian slip!

Deboogle!.
12-20-2003, 08:23 PM
:haha: Whoops, a little freudian slip!

lmfao I assumed you did it on purpose ;)

Havok
12-20-2003, 08:45 PM
Andyways:haha: wow tangerine you're going all out aren't you? i knew about those 2 pictures, and im sure they're gonna be the same ones in the actual magazine:o

J. Corwin
12-20-2003, 10:38 PM
Same usual pic of Andy and Mandy used in these mags, lol.

Deboogle!.
12-21-2003, 02:22 PM
Federer takes aim at Roddick
Race for No. 1 in 2004 could include others

COMMENTARY
By Bud Collins
NBC Sports, msnbc.com

Will Roger Federer soar past everybody on the ATP Tour in 2004? That’s the question for the new year. Will Federer and American Andy Roddick be locked in an enticing rivalry for the room at the top or will other players of high quality intrude to bust up their party and try and finish the year as No. 1?

Roddick's fortunes
A year ago as we looked to 2003, Roddick was the 20-year-old Great White Hot Hope. But after he was injured in an epic five-hour victory over Younes El Aynaoui that landed him in the semis of the Australian Open, he became vulnerable and was kept out of the season's first major final when he lost to Rainer Schuettler.

Six months ago, Roddick was the abject loser of a first-round match at the French Open to Sargis Sargsian. But that proved to be a turning point in both his season and brief pro career.

Eureka! Transformation! Today Roddick’s No. 1, holder of his first major, the U.S. Open. But does that mean Roddick is the best player on the planet?

Not in the eyes of us who saw Wimbledon champion Roger Federer clean up the field in the season-closing Masters at Houston, winning all five matches among the Elite Eight and scrubbing away Andre Agassi swiftly in the final.

Breaks go Federer's way
Federer, with his effortless, graceful shotmaking and all-court approach -- a throwback relief from the current crowd of baseline grinders -- is ranked No. 2 in the hard disc-driving mind of “Blinky,” the ATP computer residing at Ponte Vedra, Fla.

But the battle for No. 1 resumes in the heat and on the hard courts of Melbourne as the 2004 Australian Open commences Jan. 19.

One of the reasons tennis is so fascinating is that one-inch can make a mile of difference. One inch may have changed the 2003 season, with Federer the benificiary. One inch of the Centre Court net tape at Wimbledon, to be specific.

Let’s go back to the Federer-Roddick semifinal at the All-England Club. First set tie-breaker. Roddick has a set point, lines up a forehand blast for a sure winner -- only to see the ball strike the tape and fall back. If Roddick takes that point and set from Federer, a front runner, does he win the title?

Next to the Wimbledon final. Mark Philippoussis, tangled in a first set tie-breaker with Federer, has been serving for broke throughout the tournament, including a victory over favored Agassi. He guns a second serve that stops at the tape. The double fault mini-break costs the Australian the set. If he banks that set, does Philippoussis win the title?

Fact is, once Federer grabbed those sets on the grass off Roddick and Philippoussis, he began to fly.

Hewitt hard to figure
One of those other players who should be contending for No. 1 is the potent but puzzling Lleyton Hewitt, a commanding presence who was No. 1 at 20 -- the youngest ever -- as recently as 2001 and 2002.

Winner of the Masters both years, champion at the U.S. in 2001 and Wimbledon in 2002, Hewitt has curiously taken an historic tumble to No. 17. Only three world No. 1’s had plunged from the top ten the following year: Budge Patty in 1951, Arthur Ashe in 1976 and Mats Wilander in 1989.

What was the problem? Not physical injury. Was Hewitt distracted by his silly law suit against the ATP? Or by splitting with thoughtful coach, Jason Stoltenberg? Who knows?

Hewitt says he treasures Davis Cup more than any other tennis prize, and he proved his zeal in that highest-pressure arena by spearheading Australia’s drive to a 28th Davis Cup in November, the second during his five years on the team.

With his country’s eyes fastened on him, the speedy little guy won the critical matches of the semifinal and final: thrilling five-set comebacks. Trailing Switzerland’s Federer by two sets, and thrice two points from defeat, Hewitt rebounded dynamically. Practically the same thing he did against No. 3 Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain, after lagging 2-1 in sets.

“The Cup means a helluva lot more to me than winning Wimbledon or the U.S. Open,” Hewitt said.

Hewitt has the legs and the heart to lift himself back into the brawl for No. 1 in 2004.

Others eyeing the top spot
Philippoussis, who overcame numerous ailments, rose to No. 9, and defeated Ferrero in the Davis Cup decider (a gritty five-set victory), could well be a factor, too.

There is much pain in Spain to be dealt out by the guys whose reign almost happened in Davis Cup, Ferrero, Carlos Moya and Albert Costa. You can no longer label them as strictly dirtkickers, ineffective away from their preferred footing, European clay.

Although the quick Ferrero, the French Open champion, ended the year reeling with six straight defeats -- Paris Indoor, the Masters and Davis Cup -- he beat Agassi to attain the U.S. Open final and snatch the No. 1 ranking briefly.

Ferrero was the lone man to grace two major finals.

Moya, ranked No. 7 and the French Open champ in 1998, now displays a broader approach, which helped him beat Philippoussis on grass in the Davis Cup -- even though ex-Aussie star and Australia's Davis Cup captain John Newcombe predicted the Spaniard had not even a Japanese beetle’s chance in coping with a lawn.

Costa, the French Open champ in 2002, is still around, and two youngsters to watch are lefties (a scarce commodity) Rafael Nadal and Feliciano Lopez.

Farther down South and challenging their linguistic brethren will be the Argentines Guillermo Coria and David Nalbandian. (Suppose Nalbandian had cashed his match point against Roddick in their U.S. Open semifinals? Wouldn’t that have been a season-changer, too?)

At Nos. 5 and 8, Coria and Nalbandian are the first Argentine pair listed in the top ten since Guillermo Vilas and Jose-Luis Clerc in 1981. Augustin Calleri, Gaston Gaudio, Mariano Zabaletta, Juan Ignacio Chela and Guillermo Canas back them up well.

Americans on the rise
Is the U.S. limited to one standout, Roddick?

I don’t think so, feeling that Mardy Fish and Taylor Dent are about to make substantial impacts. Fish, No. 20, has such a solid game that I believe he’ll be testing Roddick as he did in the close Cincinnati final.

Robbie Ginepri is also coming along well. For the fleet-footed James Blake this will be the year to show that he isn’t standing still.

Patrick McEnroe, the U.S. Davis Cup captain, is the leading cheer leader for all of them, pointing for a second-round showdown against the Davis Cup holders on their home court in Australia in April.

Of course, both the Aussies and Yanks have to first get past relatively soft first rounds tests in Sweden and Austria respectively, both at home.

Stuck in one of its longer droughts, the U.S. hasn’t won the Davis Cup since 1995, but captain Pat Mac is ahead of some of his predecessors because, admirably, each of the foremost Americans has pledged to be available to him.

Still in the picture
And what of the most highly respected American? Andre Agassi turns 34 in April, but he is ranked No. 4 and may be fitter physically and mentally than anyone else in the sport.

Is there another major left in the four-time Australian champion? I think so -- if he can avoid damaging injury, and schedules himself to arrange the proper rest. He’ll never catch up with Mrs. Agassi (aka Steffi Graf) -- his eight majors against her 21 -- but that doesn’t mean he won’t give it a shot.

Russia and everybody else wonders about the “Headless Horseman,” 6-feet-4 Marat Safin. What a bundle of obvious talent – size, speed, shotmaking glitter. But how dedicated is he -- if at all? He should have been No. 1 at the end of 2000, the year he pummeled Pete Sampras to win the U.S. Open, and he should have won the Australian Open in 2002, the year he lost the final to Tom Johansson (who hasn’t been heard from since).

Injuries and a careless nature have kept Safin from fulfilling immense promise, and he has skidded to the depths, ranked No. 77. Can he, a good-natured, self-deprecating guy, ever pull it together?

Germany’s Rainer Schuettler isn’t going to be No. 1, but he’ll make a lot of the big boys weep as he outworks them and gets many balls back. At No. 6, he has the remarkable stat of improving his ranking in every one of his nine professional years, beginning at No. 772 in 1995. His hunger, if not his shotmaking, is great.

All in all it’s the level of desire that will separate this gang of gifted players and that should make 2004 a marvelous year for men's tennis.

© 2003 MSNBC Interactive

tangerine_dream
12-21-2003, 07:15 PM
Bud Collins writes the best tennis articles! Thanks for posting that, Bunk. :)

J. Corwin
12-21-2003, 07:19 PM
Thank ya!

Deboogle!.
12-21-2003, 09:30 PM
Bud's awesome :) Glad others enjoyed it too! I like how he's positive about everyone... too many people have to put someone down in an article to complement someone else.

heya
12-21-2003, 09:59 PM
http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/story.jsp?story=475031

Foul-mouthed Rusedski cleans up
Commercial break
By Ronald Atkin
21 December 2003

How do you transform a £1,500 fine and a deeply unpleasant and embarrassing experience into a handsome profit? Ask Greg Rusedski, who came up grinning and a financial winner, albeit a rather wet one, from the notorious occasion on day three of this year's Wimbledon when he let rip with the "f" word five times live to a dumbstruck Centre Court and a television audience of millions.

When retreat into a deep bunker might have seemed the most sensible option, Rusedski agreed instead to undertake a television commercial making fun of the incident. The good news for Greg was that it worked. The sponsors were "very happy with it" according to their advertising people and the culprit made enough, although the fee was undisclosed, to keep him in mouthwash for life. Only the bruised feelings and assaulted eardrums of those who heard the rant might still need time for forgiveness to materialise.

Foot and knee operations, the latest in a depressing sequence of serious injuries, had kept Rusedski out for nine months until the early summer. He made a fleeting reappearance at the French Open, but it was the grass season - and Wimbledon - where he yearned to do well. Beaten in the third round at Queen's Club by the third seed, Andy Roddick, the British No 2 set off for Nottingham and gave his confidence a major uplift by winning the title.

At Wimbledon, dubbed the most dangerous of floaters, he faced Roddick again, this time in the second round. It was Thunderball, the two biggest servers in the sport facing each other, and Rusedski called it "a huge, key match to my chances". Which perhaps helped to explain the explosion.

Having lost the first two sets on tie-breaks, Rusedski had a revival seriously under way in the third, when he led 5-2. Then a spectator in the crowd called a Roddick shot out, Rusedski hesitated, played on, lost the point, the game and finally his self-control in what the official Wimbledon yearbook called "a classic example of self-destruction" as he sank to defeat in three straight sets. The Swedish umpire, Lars Graff, had acted correctly, ruled the Wimbledon referee, Alan Mills, in not deeming a shout from the crowd as "hindrance" but he withheld the big stick in imposing a fine of only £1,500 for audible obscenity, notwithstanding the apology BBC commentator Barry Davies felt obliged to pass on to viewers.

Rusedski himself said sorry after conceding that he had "lost it a little bit". While Roddick would go on to end the year as world No 1, Greg was condemned to more injury misfortune, but not before Buxton - "the official natural mineral water for the Wimbledon Championships" - had stepped in with their offer. Katy Bridgeman, account director for their advertising agents, said: "We have a campaign called 'Preserving Britain's Purity'. The idea is that Buxton covers up things that are slightly impure, such as someone mooning in the background while John McCririck is talking. There was another one featuring a woman tennis player whose skirt flew up and was covered by a bottle of the water. This advert ran before and during Wimbledon, so the logical idea was to follow up with the Rusedski incident."

A script was put together in three days and shooting went ahead at Roehampton, the nearest lookalike location to Wimbledon available, in the middle of a heatwave. The scenario required Rusedski to let rip with an expletive-free rant while drinking water at the changeover until, in the words of the hand-out, the exasperated umpire "scores an ace - pouring water on to a stormy Rusedski", who was required to lick his lips, smile and come up with the punch line: "Good call, I needed that."

The number of retakes meant that Rusedski was sprayed some two dozen times, "which was a good job since it was such a hot day", said his agent, Sharon Park. He was also required to imbibe a lot, too. "Greg got very wet, poor guy," said Ms Bridgeman, "but he was very patient and full of water because of the number of times we reshot the glug shot."

The end product went out as a 20-second commercial, as well as a 10-second cutdown. The water people were delighted, Greg pocketed his fee and opined: "This is a great opportunity for people to see that I have a good sense of humour and don't take myself too seriously." Currently Rusedski is taking himself seriously in preparation for a rant-free return to the circuit in Adelaide at the start of the 2004 season.

J. Corwin
12-21-2003, 10:10 PM
lol. fun article heya! thanks

heya
12-21-2003, 10:20 PM
I knew you'd laugh!
TheBoiledEgg made a
big deal of Andy's 02 Wimbledon loss - funny how
sweet this year was for us but not for TBE!!

MisterQ
12-21-2003, 11:20 PM
funny article!

still don't like greg.

Deboogle!.
12-21-2003, 11:44 PM
he's sort of hard to warm up to lol

tangerine_dream
12-22-2003, 02:41 AM
Greg Rude-ski is a cad. Actually dropping the f-bomb several times during Wimbledon (punctuating each sentence with "wanker")? During tea time? Geez, show some respect, Greg! And people think Andy's rude? Last time I heard Andy drop the f-bomb was during the AO and he had the decency to cover his mouth at least (you can only hear it when you put the volume on way high).

heya
12-22-2003, 02:50 AM
Greg shared the same thought with his fans--
that he was superior to Andy.
That's why his ego deflated after Andy beat
him all year.

heya
12-22-2003, 02:52 AM
If you hang around the U. S. media all the time,
you'd be annoyed like Andy was.

J. Corwin
12-22-2003, 03:13 AM
If Greg comes up with another "memorable" quote, I'll switch it with the one that I have had in my siggy. ;)

heya
12-22-2003, 03:56 AM
"loudmouth Greg"

tangerine_dream
12-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Bunk, is the Legg Mason even televised in the US? I don't remember hearing anything about it. :sad:

Anyways, I did a search on ESPN and found these articles (written in August this year):

Relaxed Roddick finds focus
By Darren Rovell
ESPN.com

Andy Roddick's team is looking a bit strange these days. He still has his spiked hair, but his trainer lost his mustache and his coach recently keeled over on the side of the road in a jumpsuit.

It's all part of the plan to keep the pressure off Roddick, while challenging him to win.

With five titles in 2003 and a 20-1 hard-court circuit record to boot, Roddick finally has turned hyped hopes into expectations for a U.S. Open victory. But it isn't that easy to see changes in Roddick because, unlike aces and winners, mental toughness can't be observed.

"I've always been able to play the game physically, but now I'm better mentally," Roddick said. "It's a learning process and now it's all coming together between the ears."

Since turning pro in 2000, Roddick has been burdened with extremely high expectations brought on in part by the timing of his entrance onto the American tennis scene. Jim Courier retired that year, and Pete Sampras -- who officially retires Monday -- and Andre Agassi were in the final stretch of their careers.

But Roddick, who has reached the quarterfinals in the past two U.S. Opens and the semifinals in this year's Australian Open and Wimbledon, wasn't ready to be placed among the sport's elite listed as a legitimate contender to win a Grand Slam.

Given that he's leading the ATP Champions Race and is seeded No. 4 at the Open, the pressure on Roddick is now impossible to avoid.

"I feel like I've deserved the hype this year a little bit more so than other years," Roddick said. "The other years, maybe people, especially in America, were kind of hoping that I would come through and do well and maybe hoping a little bit too much. But this year, I feel like I kind of deserve my place as one of the top players."

Roddick credits some of his recent success to his ability to better control his emotions on the court.

"I'm definitely a bit calmer out there," Roddick said.

"He's not talking to the crowd quite as much as he did before," said Roddick's 27-year-old brother John, who runs a tennis academy in San Antonio. "That might be a little disappointing to the fans, but the quality of tennis is going to go up, and he'll win more titles that way."

Keeping him very much in check is his new coach Brad Gilbert, who willingly took on the challenge to control the excitable Roddick after he lost in the first round of the French Open.

Gilbert, who was Andre Agassi's tutor for eight years, hasn't made many changes to Roddick's form, but he has made him understand that his greatest enemy is not a bad groundstroke but an unstable mind.

"He doesn't wear his emotions as much on his sleeve," said Gilbert, author of "Winning Ugly," the tennis strategy book. "When he would get a little crazy out there it would affect his game, and when he has a sense of calmness out there, the game has a chance to rise above everything else."

Roddick is 30-2 under Gilbert's watch and has only had one major breakdown. With his mental game off, Roddick lost earlier this month in the semifinals of the Legg Mason Tennis Classic to Tim Henman, who will be his first-round U.S. Open opponent.

Roddick won the first set 6-1 in 24 minutes, but Henman took a 3-1 second set lead on a forehand winner that Roddick believed landed out. A frustrated Roddick then smacked a ball into the upper deck of the stadium.

"He got upset and his anger got the better of him and he kind of stopped concentrating a little bit and then never broke the rest of the match," said Gilbert, who practices what he preaches, as evidenced by his stoic demeanor during his client's matches.

Unlike many teachers of highly paid professional athletes, the coach already has established complete authority over Roddick.

At a recent tennis clinic Roddick was running late for practice after giving a slew of interviews. Although his Reebok handlers wanted to keep him on schedule, Roddick drifted over to a reporter who never formally requested an interview. "Brad said I have to do this one," Roddick told his agent, Ken Meyerson. Roddick stopped again before getting into the limo because Gilbert wanted him to take a picture with a young fan.

----------
"It's just been a complete whirlwind from being able to go out and grab a hot dog on the grounds of the U.S. Open to the kind of madness that's kind of been created so far."
— Andy Roddick on the past three years
----------

Trust and true friendship usually don't come fast in this business, but the bond between Roddick and his coach, who is twice his age, is genuine.

Aside from his encouraging words, Roddick says he's learned to trust Gilbert's word.

After Roddick won his first Tennis Masters Series title in Montreal two weeks ago, Gilbert -- who is scared of heights -- had to fulfill his promise of going skydiving with his student.

"You could tell he really wasn't too comfortable and too keen on the idea, but he made a bet and he'll stick to it," Roddick said.

In the past, Gilbert lost bets to Agassi and had to shave his head, chest and wear an earring.

"Whatever you can do to take pressure off them to make them feel better, you are doing a good job," Gilbert said.

Gilbert was not alone. Roddick's trainer Cicero Decastro told Roddick that if he made it to the finals of a Tennis Masters Series event in 2003, he would shave off his 17-year-old mustache.

"He shaved his head as a special bonus," said Roddick, who noted that he has yet to come up with challenges for Gilbert and Decastro if he wins the U.S. Open.

Off the court, Roddick is a grizzly veteran of the spotlight. Everyone knows who he is now.

"It's just been a complete whirlwind from being able to go out and grab a hot dog on the grounds of the U.S. Open to the kind of madness that's kind of been created so far," Roddick said of the past three years.

Last week, he didn't flinch at the scores of photographers taking his picture upon entering a party to unveil Venus Williams' latest dress collection. He's gotten to know the flashbulb even more now that he's dating singer and actress Mandy Moore.

But Roddick knows that pop culture points won't get him any byes in the draw and that the road to more credibility in the tennis world will come with winning his first Slam.

"I wasn't entering the last couple (U.S. Opens) to win them," Roddick said. "I was entering them to go far and maybe do well and advance as far as I could, but I don't know if deep down I believed I could win it. This time I definitely do."

And, who knows, if Roddick remains relaxed and calm maybe those in the stands will watch him win it all on home soil.

Deboogle!.
12-22-2003, 04:46 PM
yes tangy, the first article must've been the one I read..... that certainly makes it sound like he would've/could've/should've won the match if it weren't for the anger-fest. thanks for digging that up!!! :kiss:

Oh and as for Legg Mason, I think in 2003 TTC carried it :sad: or maybe it was some weird sports network only on DirecTV or something like that.

Havok
12-22-2003, 05:11 PM
see i told you it was in the second set that little outburt:banana: and i doubt that it lingered on in the 3rd set, i think Andy realized he shoulda probably lost that match. not tank it, but he coulda used that to his defence of losing it, because look at what he did after. 19 match winning streak:rocker2:

J. Corwin
12-22-2003, 08:08 PM
Too bad he had to lose that match.

Deb, I think Fox Sports Network carries the semis and finals of Legg Mason each year. I remember watching it on that channel. (Not this year, cuz I don't know...I was out of the country at the time.)

tangerine_dream
12-22-2003, 08:23 PM
Yeah baby! :yeah: Andy rules again! :worship: You can't keep a good thing down. WTG, Andy (and Justine, and the Bryan brothers!) :woohoo:

ITF name 2003 world champs
From correspondents in London
December 23, 2003

AMERICAN Andy Roddick and Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne were named International Tennis Federation World Champions for 2003 today.
Roddick, 21, won his first Grand Slam tournament in September at the US Open and also reached the semifinals at the Australian Open and Wimbledon.

Henin-Hardenne, also 21, won two Grand Slam titles in 2003, taking the French Open and the US Open. She reached the semifinals at the other two majors, the Australian Open and Wimbledon.

Both players also represented their countries in the Davis and Fed Cups.

In 2000, Roddick was named ITF Junior Boys World Champion. He is only the fourth player since the award was established in 1978 to have received both honours. Ivan Lendl, Stefan Edberg and Martina Hingis are the others.

The ITF award is based on a system that considers performance at the Grand Slams, on the tour, at the season-ending events and at the Davis and Fed Cups.

Roddick edged Wimbledon champion Roger Federer of Switzerland, who won five of six singles matches in Davis Cup play.

"(It) was a very difficult decision as both Andy Roddick and Roger Federer turned in excellent years but, in the end, Roddick's superior performance at the Grand Slams and in the Masters Series gave him a slight edge over Federer ...," ITF president Francesco Ricci Bitti said.

In doubles, Bob and Mike Bryan of the United States and Virginia Ruano Pascual of Spain and Paola Suarez of Argentina were named ITF Doubles World Champions of 2003.

The players will receive their awards at the annual ITF World Champions Dinner on June 1, 2004, during the French Open in Paris.

The Associated Press

J. Corwin
12-22-2003, 08:35 PM
SWEET!!! I like how they described their method of choosing the ITF champion of the year. I agree with looking at Grand Slams and Masters Series and weighing them heavily.

Congrats to Andy...and Justine, Bryan Bros., Pascual/Suarez. :)

Havok
12-22-2003, 08:42 PM
:woohoo: :rocker2: go Andy go:banana: slight-edge my ass, clear edge is more like it:yippee:

Deboogle!.
12-22-2003, 08:44 PM
WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO ANDY!!!

and thanks for that heads up Jace.. though with the 2004 Legg Mason held the exact week as the Olympics, they'll lose a lot of players

J. Corwin
12-22-2003, 08:46 PM
No prob Deb. I'd so much rather watch the Olympics of course. I hope they'll give it good coverage....and not be overshadowed by diving, swimming, gymnastics, etc.

And my siggy is updated with this great news of Andy! :D

Havok
12-22-2003, 08:47 PM
they're only measly points for Andy, no big deal. and Olympics awards points, so there ya go

Havok
12-22-2003, 08:48 PM
damn Jace, you beat me too it, adding ITF champ to the siggy.
*won't copy Jace now*

Deboogle!.
12-22-2003, 08:49 PM
Andy didn't even get countable points from Legg Mason did he? So no it doesn't matter, I was just saying that no one good will be at Legg Mason LOL

and yea I can't WAIT Til the Olympics! YAY!

J. Corwin
12-22-2003, 08:52 PM
I hear ya about Legg Mason. But if it's a weakened field, then all the better, lol. A title is still a title. One more title to add to his total career count. (yes I'm greedy...)

And Naldo, I don't mind at all if you add the ITF champ thing to your siggy lol. It's all good. We're all great Andy fans.
Besides...I'm showing the Andre love too...;)

Havok
12-22-2003, 08:53 PM
yeah, but they may come into play since they are not so bad of an amount of points (24 i think, somewhere along the lines of that) but even if, it wont hurt him or anything

J. Corwin
12-22-2003, 08:55 PM
Yea..you never know. It might matter to him next year if he doesn't get 5 optional tournaments better than at Legg Mason. As seen from the end of this year...every little amount of points counts.

Deboogle!.
12-22-2003, 09:04 PM
true... for the entry system I guess that'd matter but well gosh.... hopefully NOT! lol.... plus by the end of the year it wouldn't matter. He has 18 points from Washington and all his other best 5 tourneys from 2003 come before that one (Memphis, Queen's, St. Poelten, Houston, Indy) so hopefully by August it won't matter anyway.

I have a question - since Legg Mason and the Olympics are the same week in 2004, wouldn't his playing the Olympics be equivalent to his playing in Legg Mason 2003? I thought the tourney played the same week was the same as playing in the same tournament. Am I making sense? I mean Andy is playing the Olympics, so there's no possible way he CAN play Legg Mason.

Havok
12-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Deb, i have no clue what you're trying to say:lol: all i know is that the Olympics are, im pretty sure, automatically counted in your points. i guess they count it as a TMS

Deboogle!.
12-22-2003, 09:14 PM
OK I thought that the way the rankings worked, you either defend points from the tournament last year OR if you play a different tournament in the same week those points count INSTEAD (for example, say Any played a tournament the first week of April and won the title.... and there are 3 different tournaments around the world held that same week. If the next year he played one of the other two and won that title too - he wouldn't lose any points.... sorry, I know I am not explaining this well).

the schedule is different this year b/c of the Olympics I know, so Legg Mason is being held on a different week than it did... so how does this figure into the rankings points? I mean Andy has 18 (not currently counted) points from it, but if he's playing another tournament (in this case the Olympics) the VERY SAME WEEK, how does this work? The Olympics being a mandatorily counted event make this a little different, I suppose.

Sorry.... I don't know how to explain it any better :sad:

J. Corwin
12-22-2003, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't be able to explain it any better either Deb. But I know what you mean. I don't know exactly how it works either. If they (Legg Mason, Olympics) are really held the same week next year, I'd think they would count either one or the other too. So playing and winning the Olympics is an added bonus...since no other optional tournament awards a max of 80 points. (Assuming the Olympics is an optional tournament...and not like a TMS, where it's required).

Deboogle!.
12-22-2003, 09:37 PM
Great, at least in some world I am making sense LOL!!

They are DEFINITELY The same week. Legg Mason is like Aug 14-22 and Olympics are definitely 15-22....

In any case, because the schedule is a little bit different and with the Olympics counting for rankings points the ATP will have to figure something out with all the points/schedule issues... I'm not worried and I don't think Andy will LOSE points for playing the Olympics lol. I'm sure at some point it'll all become apparent how it'll work lol

J. Corwin
12-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Oh I know lol.

I just think that they should make the Olympics count as an optional tournament. That way, the extra points awarded should "lure" in more players to play the event. Hey, 80 points is awesome for an optional tournament. lol

Deboogle!.
12-22-2003, 10:06 PM
how do we know it's NOT an optional tournament? I haven't read about that anywhere.... does anyone have a source on that?

Deboogle!.
12-22-2003, 10:19 PM
OK I just started a new thread about it b/c my head was spinning lol.. see the Olympics thread for the fruits of my research lmao

Oh and about the People Magazine, I read it today when I was in Barnes & Noble wrapping presents for charity and Andy's barely in it at all, just a little pic in a corner with the same caption that was posted here already. I couldn't find anything on Mandy and Andy at all :(

J. Corwin
12-22-2003, 10:30 PM
bummer about the People mag.

I'll check your Olympic thread out. :)

Deboogle!.
12-22-2003, 11:07 PM
Andy Roddick Goes Full Throttle
- Reprinted from the Official Commemorative Program of Tennis Masters Cup Houston.
atptennis.com

Andy Roddick’s greatest triumph began with his most difficult decision. Roddick will look back on 2003 not just as the year he won the US Open and qualified for the Tennis Masters Cup, but for the getting of wisdom. By ROB PENNER

It was 9:20pm and Andy Roddick was working on little more than four hours of sleep. The new US Open champion settled into his seat on a charter plane bound for San Antonio as it began taxiing at Teeterboro Airport, 30 minutes outside Manhattan. A perfect time for a seasoned traveler to put their head back, listen to the steady hum of the jet engine and watch the world go by out the window. Especially after the day's unprecedented New York media blitz following his Grand Slam breakthrough.

But rest was not an option for Andy Roddick. The new King of American tennis had charmed everyone from Regis and Kelly in the morning to Letterman in the late afternoon and posed for photos in Times Sqaure, but he wasn't done yet. Roddick was midstream in a call-in appearance on the “Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn,” exchanging barbs with the popular CBS host on his cell phone.

Take-off was scheduled for 9:30, but Roddick was mid-interview with Kilborn. There was no option: Delay the take-off, Andy's not finished with his call-in yet. His cell phone will lose service. The captain requested a delay in the scheduled departure time. The tower complied. A few minutes later, Roddick hung up his phone and the plane was airborne. And so ended, the busiest 24 hours – and the most fulfilling summer in Andy Roddick's life.

Rewind several months to May, and a disappointing first-round loss at Roland Garros, Andy Roddick was looking for that one spark that would take him to another level. Days after his Paris defeat, Roddick split with long-time coach Tarik Benhabiles and called on the services of Brad Gilbert, a former Top 10 player and author of ‘Winning Ugly,' who later guided Andre Agassi to six Grand Slam titles. It was not an easy move for Roddick, who is both an intensely loyal pupil and a devoted friend.

“That was probably the roughest day I've been through,” he says of his decision to leave Benhabiles. “As far as stepping up and having to be an adult about something. It wasn't easy. I did what I thought I had to do and what was best for me professionally. I had to be selfish in that case.”

Benhabiles was a kind of father figure for Roddick, a calming influence who had mentored him since he was a teenager. Gilbert is more of a pal, a guy that jokes around with Roddick and serves up batting practice on court before matches to loosen him up.

The two clicked instantly and in their first tournament together Roddick won the Stella Artois Championships at the Queen's Club, notching his first career win over Agassi in the semifinals, saving one match point in the process. He followed with a semifinal run at Wimbledon, a victory at the RCA Championships in Indianapolis and his first – and back-to-back - Masters Series titles at Tennis Masters Montreal and the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters in Cincinnati.

Not since Australian Pat Rafter, who went on to win the 1998 US Open title, had a player been so dominant during the ATP's North American summer hard court swing. Roddick had gone 30-2 under Gilbert and was on a 20-1 tear on hard courts on the eve of the 2003 US Open.

In 1989, another player had a similar run to Roddick's, winning three tournaments on hard courts – including Cincinnati – while going 21-2. The player lost in the first round of the US Open that year. His name was Brad Gilbert.

“Everything that happened this summer is out the door when you start a Grand Slam,” admitted Roddick days before the Open. “As my coach can tell you, he had a great summer one time, but he lost first round of the Open.”

At Flushing Meadows, Roddick played like he had something to prove – perhaps not to others, but to himself. With an overpowering serve and forehand, a surprisingly effective serve-and-volley tactic and a newfound consistency to his backhand, Roddick made his way through the draw.

After five wins, Roddick found himself down two-sets-to-love and a match point against 2002 Wimbledon finalist David Nalbandian of Argentina in the semifinals. Time to summon the focus he wasn't sure he had. “Digging deep has been my problem before,” said Roddick afterwards. “If this would have happened a year ago, I probably would have freaked out that I was down.”

Andy Roddick is a more complete player than he was a year ago. He mixes up his serve, slices his backhand to buy time and stays patient on the forehand before attacking. He has also matured. “[In the past] when he would get his emotions a little high and get angry out there, get a little too charged up, it would affect his concentration,” explains Gilbert. “Then he would tend to go big and bigger. If you stay calm out there and use your head, good things can happen.”

That was no more evident than in Roddick's victory in the final over reigning Roland Garros champion Juan Carlos Ferrero. As he lined up at 15-0 to serve out the match in the third set, Roddick stepped to the baseline. He was calm. He was focused. Three straight service aces and Roddick was the US Open champion.

“I don't believe it. I don't believe it,” he repeated before an emotional moment with friends and family in the crowd. The victory celebration went through dinner and lasted well into the night.

Even if he wasn't serving the next morning, the day after the US Open was no time to slow down. It was a chance for all of America to get to know the new champion. Roddick's exciting blend of emotion and power tennis on the court is matched by a unique charisma, boyish charm and quick-wit off of it.

Katie Couric teased his unkempt hair, Philbin boasted about beating him in ping pong, and late night legend Letterman riffed on the charmed life of the 21-year old champion with a pop-star girlfriend, Mandy Moore. It was a furious tour for Roddick, who handled it with the exuberance of a teenager, but the aplomb of a veteran.

Others marveled at Roddick's tennis accomplishment. During a midday photo shoot in Times Square, one dark-windowed SUV slowed down as it passed by on Seventh Avenue. “Hey Andy, way to go,” yelled a familiar face out the window of the SUV. Carson Daly was obviously impressed with Andy's new trophy. Even the ubiquitous cabbies wanted in on the action. “You da boy!” yelled one. “You show him how it's done.”

There was Andy Roddick in the middle of Times Square, holding up the most coveted title in American tennis. And he was still being called a boy.

Back when Roddick was about eight years old, he used to go into his parents' garage in Texas and play tennis against a rebound net. He'd spend hours out there, pretending to take on – and beat - the all-time greats. “What did you do today?” his mother would ask. “I beat Lendl, Becker, Edberg. They didn't put up much of a fight,” Roddick would answer. “Pete and Andre were a little tough, but I took them out, no problem.”

Now all grown up, Andy Roddick is living the dream.

Deboogle!.
12-23-2003, 12:12 AM
woohoo!!

ESPN Reveals 2003 'ESPN 100' Second Annual List Names Year's Defining Sports Moments and Personalities

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 22, 2003--
-- List to Debut in ESPN The Magazine, Special Telecast Airs December 29 at 7:30 p.m.--

ESPN's second annual ESPN 100 - the single list that ranks the top 100 sports personalities, moments, trends, games and stories that mattered in 2003 - will debut in Wednesday's issue of ESPN The Magazine. Created from input and debate by a jury of ESPN experts, the list will also be examined in an ESPN Original Entertainment special telecast on Monday, December 29, at 7:30 p.m. ET. ESPN's Kevin Frazier will host the 90-minute telecast. ESPN.com will carry the full details of the list and offer multimedia interaction and fan feedback beginning Monday as well.

In anticipation of the list, ESPN has released the Top Ten, but has not revealed the order in which they appear on the list. Fans will first be able to see the order of the top ten Wednesday in ESPN The Magazine. In addition, numbers 11 through 100 have been released, in order.
----
14. Andy Roddick: Tennis' new number one, finally won big - and on home soil.
-----
Other tennis-relateds:
30. Williams Woes: Serena and Venus lost a sister, their health and their top rankings.
60. The Sweet Spot: Pete Sampras retired with a record 14 grand slam titles.
100. Anna Nueva: Anna Kounikova retired, sort of.

Havok
12-23-2003, 01:10 AM
:eek: #14 on that lost. WOW:worship:

tangerine_dream
12-23-2003, 02:33 AM
Wow, Andy's No. 14 on a list of 100 athletes! Whooooooo! :woohoo:

J. Corwin
12-23-2003, 10:26 AM
Nice!!

star
12-23-2003, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure where to post this, but this is a link to an analysis of Andy's forehand and how he gets so much power. It goes through his shot frame by frame as he prepares, strikes, follows through, and readies himself for the return. It is very detailed and, to me, interesting.

http://www.tennisforall.org/forehand_roddick.htm

Deboogle!.
12-23-2003, 03:48 PM
wow..... really cool, I'll read that later! Thanks star :kiss:

tangerine_dream
12-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Great link, thanks star! :hug:

Havok
12-23-2003, 04:37 PM
while you're at it, check this one out as well:eek::eek::worship::worship:
http://www.tennisforall.org/forehands/rodd_drop.htm

Deboogle!.
12-23-2003, 05:17 PM
Andy does disguise his dropshot wonderfully. I'd like to see him use it a little more often!!

Havok
12-23-2003, 05:20 PM
yeah he should use it more and more often, but he's got to learn how to not make it sit up as much as it does, and hit a one handed slice backhand. he can do it since he's got an awesome one handed slice backhand

tangerine_dream
12-23-2003, 05:57 PM
Andy does disguise his dropshot wonderfully. I'd like to see him use it a little more often!!

Remember that awesome drop shot Andy made against Lleyton in the 2001 US QF (the one you just watched)? The shot that he pulled out of his ass and even his own father was flabberghasted by it? Pat Mac was laughing his head off over it . . . no one saw it coming.

I think that has to be one of his best drop shots ever. I played it over and over again. It's like tennis porn to me. :banana:

Deboogle!.
12-23-2003, 06:08 PM
Remember that awesome drop shot Andy made against Lleyton in the 2001 US QF (the one you just watched)? The shot that he pulled out of his ass and even his own father was flabberghasted by it? Pat Mac was laughing his head off over it . . . no one saw it coming.

I think that has to be one of his best drop shots ever. I played it over and over again. It's like tennis porn to me. :banana:

OHHHHH yes.... that's why I said that b/c him doing a couple of great ones was so fresh in my mind lol. The one where they were all so shocked was right in the midst of Andy playing a FEW really great points right? like a great lob and a couple other ones too. I think PMac creamed his pants over that dropshot LMGDFAO

Deboogle!.
12-23-2003, 06:11 PM
Andy excerpts from Tennis Week's look at 2003:

2003 From C To Shining C

By Steve Flink, Tennis Week
12/24/2003

Avid followers of top-flight tennis had little to complain about at the end of a captivating 2003 season. For the fourth consecutive year, four different men ruled at the major events, while only two women came away with Grand Slam championships.

As the curtain closed at the end of the year, U.S. Open champions Andy Roddick and Justine Henin-Hardenne (who also won the French Open) — two 21-year-olds with crackling talent and high ambitions — stood deservedly at No. 1 in the world.

Roddick established himself as the sixth American man in ATP computer rankings history to finish on top — Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, Jim Courier, Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi preceded him — and Henin-Hardenne was the first Belgian competitor of either sex to earn the distinction as she moved to No. 1 on the WTA Tour computer.

To be sure, it was a very good year.

In many ways, Roddick’s rise to No. 1 was the story of 2003. He had finished 2002 at No. 10 in the world, but improved decidedly over the course of 2003. He was the only man to become a semifinalist or better in three of the four majors and was the first since Sampras in 1996 to win a Grand Slam event after being match point down, rescuing himself when he was in that precarious position at two sets to love down in his U.S. Open semifinal win over David Nalbandian. That victory marked the fifth time Roddick had rallied from match point down during the year.

The chief architect of Roddick’s advancement was none other than Brad Gilbert, the former world No. 4 who coached Agassi for eight years. Gilbert came aboard with Roddick at Queen’s Club after the American severed his professional relationship with Tarik Benhabiles. From that juncture on, Roddick amazingly won five of his next seven tournaments, culminating with his Open victory. The key to the triumphant journey for Roddick was his semifinal win over Agassi from match point down at Queen’s, his first success against his former idol.

Gilbert believes Roddick’s composure under pressure was the fundamental difference in 2003. "When you win a couple of matches and you didn’t play lights out, the next time in the same situation you don’t panic. He was down against Nalbandian at the Open two sets to love, 3-3, 15-40, but he found a way to hold that game and then clawed out of the third set tiebreaker and went on to win. He beat [Juan Carlos] Ferrero in straight sets in the final, but he doesn’t play that match and win the U.S. Open if he doesn’t grind the Nalbandian match out. That is the difference between being good and being great — learning to compete match in and match out — and Andy did that in 2003."

Roddick’s problems with Federer are much more than mental. Despite clearly earning the No. 1 ranking over his less consistent Swiss rival, Roddick knows exactly what he is up against. Federer beat him two out of three times in 2003 and completely outclassed him in the semifinals of Wimbledon. Federer is far more versatile, the game’s most complete player, a man of innumerable weapons and few flaws when he is on. As Gilbert says, "Federer is talented a lot like Pete [Sampras]; so it is going to be the same challenge for Andy staving him off that it was for Andre against Pete. What Federer has caused me to do is go get a TiVo and study some tapes and see if I can do a better job of figuring out the guy’s game. You don’t want to ever focus too much on one guy because then you can start having problems with other players, but I want to do a better job of understanding Federer."

heya
12-23-2003, 09:49 PM
Roddick and Henin-Hardenne named 2003 ITF champions

LONDON, Dec 22 (Reuters) - World number ones Andy Roddick and Justine Henin-Hardenne have been named 2003 ITF world champions, the International Tennis Federation said on Monday.

American Roddick, 21, earned the award after winning his first grand slam crown at the U.S. Open in September as well as reaching the semi-finals at the Australian Open and Wimbledon.

Belgian Henin-Hardenne, also 21, was twice a grand slam winner in 2003, beating her compatriot Kim Clijsters to clinch both the French and U.S. Open titles.

"The selection of the ITF men's world champion was a very difficult decision," ITF president Francesco Ricci Bitti said in a statement.

"Both Andy Roddick and Roger Federer turned in excellent years but, in the end, Roddick's superior performance at the grand slams and in the Masters Series gave him a slight edge over Federer."

Swiss Federer, 22, won Wimbledon and the season-ending Masters Cup before finishing the year ranked second behind Roddick.

Bob and Mike Bryan were named ITF men's doubles champions, the American brothers having won the French Open and the Tennis Masters Cup, as well as reaching the final at the U.S. Open.

Spain's Virginia Ruano Pascual and Argentina's Paola Suarez won the women's award for the second successive year after winning the U.S. Open and the WTA Tour Championships.

The pair were also finalists at the Australian Open, Roland Garros and Wimbledon

heya
12-23-2003, 09:59 PM
Masters Cup has only 1 5-set match.
By the time Nov. rolled by, most players
were physically unfit, unprepared and new to MC.
Whatever... Andy's champion
AR, conquer 2004!

J. Corwin
12-24-2003, 01:06 AM
all nice Andy articles :)

Havok
12-24-2003, 01:20 AM
*coughs* again, slight edge my ass *coughs*

J. Corwin
12-24-2003, 01:37 AM
Why wouldn't it be slight edge? lol
I think Andy wins it with "a slight edge" over Roger as well.

heya
12-24-2003, 01:46 AM
Andy isn't an "all-court, brilliant, complete" player!
Not only that, he will never win a French Open match! Poor thing will never become
a multidimensional player!

Sampras said on the
Tennis Channel that Andy is better than he was@his age. Oh, dear.

Don't you know that everyone in the top 10 is
superior to Andy & Fed Express will never lose@Wimbledon & Masters Cup again?! :p

Deboogle!.
12-24-2003, 01:48 AM
Sampras said on the
Tennis Channel that Andy is better than he was@his age. Oh, dear.

Really? Do you have the quote by any chance?

J. Corwin
12-24-2003, 01:52 AM
Really? Do you have the quote by any chance?

That's what I'm thinking too.

By purely achievement, Andy is close on par with Pete when he was 3 years into his pro-career.

heya
12-24-2003, 01:58 AM
Too bad Andy's 11 titles@age 21
is not as good as Fed's 5 titles@age 21.
It's freaking DIFFICULT to win titles in Europe *Switzerland*...that's it!
:hysteric: :bigcry: :banghead: :crazy: :bolt:

Havok
12-24-2003, 02:00 AM
well Jace, the ITF took into consideration the Slams, Masters Cup and Masters Series. and it doesn't take a genuis that Andy completely outshines Federer in that department, hence my slight edge my ass, it should be a bigger edge. and i think ferrero even outclassed Federer in the big events as well

Deboogle!.
12-24-2003, 02:02 AM
Ferrero did in the Slams and TMS... but Federer did win TMC which IS important and he had a much better DC record than the others.

I'd say it was pretty clear that Andy deserved it, with recognition that Fed did have a great year also.

heya
12-24-2003, 02:09 AM
http://wc5.worldcrossing.com/webx?13@19.PAIjguL2gjM.7@.1ddde002/946

mishar - Nov 20, 2003 10:13 am (#937 of 1113)
On the tennis channel the other night, they showed Pete Sampras saying that Andy Roddick "has a better game than I did at his age" implying that Roddick, like Pete, still could grow.

Deboogle!.
12-24-2003, 02:15 AM
cool thanks:)

J. Corwin
12-24-2003, 02:18 AM
well Jace, the ITF took into consideration the Slams, Masters Cup and Masters Series. and it doesn't take a genuis that Andy completely outshines Federer in that department, hence my slight edge my ass, it should be a bigger edge. and i think ferrero even outclassed Federer in the big events as well

Yes, but you have to look at overall season at the same time. Roger has more match wins and titles. He also won the biggie that is TMC. Like Deb said, Roger also outshines Andy in the Davis Cup area.

Andy does deserve the title, but only as much more than Roger as the ranking indicates. I do think the ranking accurately reflects players' achievements by the end of the year.

heya
12-24-2003, 02:37 AM
Hmm, fewer years played, tougher draw@Queen's Club, Wimbledon, fewer events played, defeated Daveeeed :baby: :devil: .

Sure, good and bad times are part of tennis, but
it's nice to witness Rodduck's improving mental and physical strength :angel:. *ahem 6 pack*

But, ya know, let's not get "overexcited" like those OTHER "fanatic, irrational" Andy fans!! :rolleyes::cuckoo::yawn:

Deboogle!.
12-24-2003, 04:19 PM
Some new articles.

From a Q&A with Brad... I cut out the Andy parts (the rest was *zzzzzzzz* boring)
---------
Gilbert helps others 'win ugly'

SONOMA -- Brad Gilbert, the gritty Piedmont kid who defeated a handful of tennis legends by "Winning Ugly," has become even more recognizable as the coach of Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick.

Alameda Times-Star

Gilbert, 42, has parted ways with Agassi, but is working with Roddick, a potential legend. Gilbert can teach him how he beat John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Boris Becker, Agassi and others with an unorthodox style that served as the title of his 1993 book.

Gilbert won 20 tournaments and was ranked No.4 in the world in 1990. Now married with three children, he resides in San Rafael. But he hasn't lost his passion for the Oakland Raiders, Oakland A's and Golden State Warriors.

Before participating in an Infineon Raceway promotion last week, Gilbert discussed his playing and coaching career and rated tennis' greatest players in a conversation with staff writer Dave Newhouse.

Q. Roddick will play in the 2004 Olympics. Your influence?

A. I didn't even have to persuade him. It was already in his mind.

Q. Is there another man or woman you'd love to coach?

A. I don't want to tarnish Andy in any way. I think I could help anybody, but I got the dream job I want.

Q. How great can Roddick become?

A. The canvas on the easel is empty. He's got the paint in his hand and only time will tell. He's got a great opportunity.

Deboogle!.
12-24-2003, 04:19 PM
MELBOURNE MAGIC CAPTURED HEARTS
By Andy Schooler
Sporting Life

In the men's game, the Grand Slam finals were not the place to look for classic encounters.

Those four matches may be the chance for the sport's best players to show their skills off to a huge TV audience, but to be honest, in 2003 I bet people were switching off in droves.

Andre Agassi's victory over Rainer Schuettler in Melbourne back in January was the easiest final win in the event's history - the American lost just five games.

Juan Carlos Ferrero dropped only one more against Martin Verkerk in Paris to end the Dutchman's Roland Garros fairytale run.

Wimbledon's Roger Federer-Mark Philippoussis showdown was heavily serve-dominated and again was settled in straight sets.

And Andy Roddick's coronation as US Open king was never in any doubt in September with Ferrero baffled by the A-Rod's huge serve.

Instead, the year's best matches were more hidden away and therefore sadly seen by only a hardcore audience of tennis fans.

A notable exception was one memorable Sunday in September which showed the game at its best.

It took place in Casablanca, Morocco, of all places and produced not one but two crackers.

Great Britain were seriously up against it, trailing their Davis Cup tie 2-1 and needing both Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski to pull off surprise victories on their least favoured surface, clay.

Henman duly kept his part of the bargain with what was, at that stage, his best performance of the year so far.

He edged Younes El Aynaoui in four thrilling sets, serving superbly throughout.

Rusedski followed Henman on to court and added to a day of high drama.

He led by a set, allowed Hicham Arazi to draw level, and then saw darkness fall.

Much of the third set was played under floodlights, but the match wouldn't be finished under them.

Instead an exhausted Rusedski squandered set points in the third-set tie-break which he eventually lost.

The curtain was brought down on an epic day - Rusedski was to return for just one more lost set just 15 hours later - but it was one Sunday that tennis fans are unlikely to forget in a hurry.

Going back to the Slams, they did have their high points.

At the French, Ferrero's quarter-final with Fernando Gonzalez was no classic but it had plenty of tension and may well have proved a turning point in the Spaniard's career.

The red-hot tournament favourite found himself struggling against the go-for-broke forehand of Gonzalez, but somehow dug in to win in fve sets.

It was probably the day Ferrero truly found out that he was capable of winning a Grand Slam.

At Wimbledon, the best match of the tournament was disgracefully pulled off terrestrial air by the host broadcaster, the BBC, as it reached its climax.

However, the highlights between Andre Agassi and Mark Philippoussis were worth waiting for.

Agassi, at the time back as world number one at the age of 33, had to put up with the man known as the Scud serving a record-equalling 46 aces against him.

Yet still he forced the match into a fifth set and had his chances in it.

However, Philippoussis' imperious serve eventually saw him to victory, although he would finally fall just short of overall glory.

Flushing Meadows saw one of the great comebacks of the year.

It came in the semi-finals when favourite Andy Roddick found himself in even deeper trouble than Ferrero had done at the French.

Being thoroughly outplayed by David Nalbandian, Roddick was just one point away from a straight-sets defeat in the third-set tie-break but then produced a unreturnable serve.

He didn't look back.

His famed serve clicked back into place and didn't slip out of top gear until well after the following day's final had been won.

However, the award of our Match of the Year goes elsewehere.

It involved Roddick and the aforementioned El Ayanoui and will not be forgotten for a long time.

The pair's night quarter-final at the Australian Open did not always produce scintillating tennis, but certainly provided plenty of history and drama.

A tight clash, this match was always destined to go to five sets but no-one would have predicted its final outcome - a marathon decider of 40 games and more than two hours.

The match, finally won 21-19 in the fifth by Roddick, lasted more than five hours in total and rewrote the history books in more ways than one.

The longest fifth set in Grand Slam singles history seemed like it would never end but Roddick finally steeled himself to take victory.

It was pure theatre for the Melbourne Park crowd who stayed until 2am to witness Roddick establish himself as a true star at this level.

Sadly, it left the American too drained to compete properly in his semi-final but it will undoubtedly go down as a key moment in his career, one which won him the hearts of fans around the world.

J. Corwin
12-24-2003, 09:04 PM
I'd say 100+ winners to 30ish UE's is scintillating tennis. ;)

Deboogle!.
12-24-2003, 09:12 PM
I'd say 100+ winners to 30ish UE's is scintillating tennis. ;)

I definitely concur!

heya
12-25-2003, 06:52 AM
PRO GAME: Outlook for 2004 [January/February 2004 TENNIS Magazine]
Author: Maja , Dec/23/2003 02:56:00

It's winter here, but it's summer in Australia, and that means the start of the tennis season. It kicks off Down Under with a few warm-up events followed by the year's first major. From there it's a long grind to see who will finish as the game's top players. In 2003 Andy Roddick and Justine Henin-Hardenne ruled professional tennis. Whose turn is it in 2004? Let's take a look.

The big question is how well the Williams sisters will perform. Neither has played since Wimbledon; Venus was recovering from an abdominal strain and Serena underwent knee surgery. During their hiatus they also had to deal with the tragic death of their half-sister Yetunde, who they were very close to. So it will be interesting to see how they respond at a time of year that traditionally has not inspired their best tennis.

And there are plenty of players looking to make the Williamses' comebacks rocky. Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters flourished during the sisters' absence. Henin-Hardenne won Roland Garros and the U.S. Open and Clijsters was consistent enough to become No. 1. Another player to watch is Jennifer Capriati. She has won three majors, but I contend that Jennifer has yet to fulfill her potential. At the Tour Championships, she and her dad, Stefano, opened their minds to working with another coach, Paul Annacone (a good fit for her). This signals the Capriatis' commitment to raising Jennifer's game to the highest level possible.

If you're looking for fresh faces, keep an eye on Maria Kirilenko and Viktoriya Kutuzova. Kirilenko, 17, won the 2002 girls' U.S. Open and made it to the third round in the women's draw last year. Kutuzova, 15, is a hard hitter already ranked in the Top 300. They're both raw but have a lot of potential.

The men's side has some impressive young players. Roddick came into his own earlier than many people expected. Can he handle the pressure of No. 1? I think Roger Federer will make it tough for him to repeat. Of all the men, he has the most complete game. Juan Carlos Ferrero also looks hungry.

Although his best results have come on clay, Ferrero has proved that he can win on any surface. Marat Safin should also be a factor again. It's true, I picked him to win a Slam last year and he virtually disappeared (though he was struggling with a wrist injury). But he's too gifted not to be a favorite each time he steps on the court.

Not every contender is that young. You can't count out Andre Agassi. As you get older, it's harder to summon your best every day, yet Agassi knows how to choose his battles and can still produce incredible tennis at the big moments. In 2004, let's hope he's not the only one.

heya
12-25-2003, 06:58 AM
"Roddick came into his own earlier than many people expected."

It was "Finally, he has a slam" for many, but
for others, it was unexpected. Hmm

J. Corwin
12-25-2003, 07:38 AM
A lot of people had predicted big things for him. So it's both a "finally" and a surprise. A surprise for it being so *early* considering the relative disappointment of 2002.

Deboogle!.
12-25-2003, 02:38 PM
pretty much exactly what I was gonna say Jace :)

Deboogle!.
12-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Here's Tennis Mag's thing about Andy being Player of the Year. He's on the Jan/Feb cover!!!

MEN'S PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Andy Roddick

That was fast. One American champion calls it quits, and two months later a new one takes over at No. 1. Wasn't it just a couple of years ago that fans in this country were wondering if there was any future at all for the U.S. men's game?

No doubt about it, this is an American champion, with the same swaggering willfulness that took Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, and the young Andre Agassi to the top of the game. Like those guys, Roddick is a showman whose appeal goes beyond tennis--in 2003, besides dating pop singer Mandy Moore, he hosted Saturday Night Live and was tapped for a reality TV show. But as with his predecessors, Roddick's cockiness can rub people the wrong way, particularly opponents. After losing to him at the U.S. Open, Ivan Ljubicic said of A-Rod's on-court antics, "Nobody else acts likes that. He doesn't respect the others."

Love him or hate him, you can't ask for more than what Roddick gave in 2003. He started by winning the match of the year, 21-19 in the fifth over Younes El Aynaoui in Melbourne, switched coaches when his game stagnated, and then dominated through the summer, capping off a 27-1 run with the U.S. Open title. All of which took the 21-year-old by surprise. "It's something I never thought was possible," Roddick said after clinching the year-end No. 1 ranking. "Maybe I snuck up on people."

Can he continue at that dizzying height, the way Connors and Pete Sampras did season after season? It won't be easy. Twice this year, world No. 2 Roger Federer played rings around A-Rod. Still, Roddick is our Player of the Year because he had the will to go out and win more big matches over the last 12 months than anyone else. How American of him. --Stephen Tignor

heya
12-25-2003, 05:56 PM
I like him 'cuz he's unique in
every way & controversial for the haters. :devil:
He'd still be my fave
even if he was from another country.

He can make steam come out of your ears 1 day,
then he can amaze you another day. :spit:

He knows how smarmy people around
him, including the media can be. You might've
seen how annoyed he was on some TV interviews. LOL

Andy's probably obsessed with football,
& it's not surprising that he's sometimes wild during
tennis matches like football fans.

Also, years of nagging & butt-smooching he got
affected him on court.

Deboogle!.
12-25-2003, 06:02 PM
lol heya!

J. Corwin
12-25-2003, 08:07 PM
LOL

Deboogle!.
12-26-2003, 03:12 PM
New article:

Future is now for Roddick -- and U.S. tennis

Associated Press

Andy Roddick knows exactly what his 2003 breakthrough means, and he said so right after winning the U.S. Open: "No more, 'What's it feel like to be the future of American tennis?' "

Andy Roddick couldn't believe his U.S. Open win.

The future is now for the No. 1-ranked Roddick as well as Wimbledon champ Roger Federer and French Open champ Juan Carlos Ferrero, two other young players who jumped to the forefront of tennis by winning Grand Slam titles for the first time.

"Maybe I snuck up on some people," Roddick said. "I'm ecstatic about it."

It's easy to forget that he was a first-round flop at the French Open. Roddick's whirlwind ascension was just one of the stories that marked tennis in 2003.

At 21, Roddick is the second-youngest player to finish a year atop the ATP Tour computer rankings.

A couple of years after first being pegged as a worthy successor to Sampras and Agassi, he had quite a coming-out party. If the ATP and WTA decided to distribute Oscarlike awards, Roddick might very well walk away with an armful.

How does this sound?

Best Men's Match, for winning a 21-19 fifth set against Younes El Aynaoui in the Australian Open quarterfinals. (The award for Best Women's Match would go to Henin-Hardenne and Jennifer Capriati for their epic U.S. Open semifinal, in which the Belgian was two points from defeat 10 times).

Best Big Match Comeback, for rallying from two sets down to beat David Nalbandian in the U.S. Open semifinals.

Best Serve, for tying the record at 149 mph and leading the tour in four of six serving categories, including aces (989) and percentage of service games won (91).

Best Coaching Change, for teaming with Brad Gilbert, Agassi's former mentor, after the early exit in Paris. Roddick was 25-11 before hiring Gilbert, 47-8 after.

"He's got unbelievable talent. It's been a great seven months, but we're ready to put it behind us now and we're looking forward to next year," Gilbert said. "It's all about trying to get better."

As for Best Male Player (Henin-Hardenne deserves the female version), Roddick might edge Federer and Ferrero in a tight vote.

Their budding three-way rivalry bodes well for the sport.

"There's a few good young players around, and I think they can bring kind of a new wave into tennis and hopefully bring more popularity again," Federer said. "It seems like tennis has been going down. But I feel like we're trying to keep it alive and make it even better."

He fired coach Peter Lundgren shortly after winning the season-ending Tennis Masters Cup _ his tour-leading seventh title (Roddick had six) _ to reach No. 2 in the rankings. Odd timing? Perhaps. But stranger things happened in the world of tennis in 2003.

Deboogle!.
12-26-2003, 05:58 PM
Andy put at #19 by Newsweek for their top 20 sports stories of the year :)

19) Roddick Time: Andy Roddick had his breakthrough, smashing his way to victory at the U.S. Open. But with both Williams sisters injured early in the season, women's tennis had to make do with the feuding Belgians, Kim Clijsters and Justin Henin-Hardenne. Did anyone this side of Brussels care?

J. Corwin
12-26-2003, 08:47 PM
Aw, that was kind of a low blow to Kim and Justine. I, for one, did care about women's tennis.

And I'm happy to see Andy make all these tennis related "Top X" lists. For once it's not a Rolling Stone or Cosmopolitan list. lol

Deboogle!.
12-26-2003, 08:51 PM
lol ain't that the truth...

Havok
12-26-2003, 11:35 PM
:rocker2: Andy getting on lists everywhere :rocker2:

Deboogle!.
12-28-2003, 12:44 AM
Interesting article that praises Andy:

Celebrities must get back to basics

Tennis: Eleanor Preston is convinced the game requires a massive lift on the court in the coming year

The Sunday Herald (Scotland)
28 December 2003

The front page of the Sun newspaper said it all. “The end of a rearer” was the headline which announced tennis might have seen the last of Anna Kournikova in 2003. The words were accompanied by pictures of the young Russian’s celebrated posterior to help us all survive the trauma of her possible retirement but it will not have consoled those whose business it is to sell women’s tennis to the world.
If Kournikova eventually gives up the pretence of being a professional tennis player and gives herself wholeheartedly to showbusiness, at least she can do so safe in the knowledge that she has left her mark on the sport.

Whether Kournikova’s legacy is something to celebrate is a matter for conjecture. She brought women’s tennis to an audience that might otherwise never have been remotely interested but she also sent a message that sport is merely a stepping stone towards stardom.

It’s a lesson the Williams sisters both took on board from the earliest stage of their careers and thus turned themselves into worldwide superstars – celebrities who, coincidentally, also occasionally play tennis for a living.

Make that very occasionally, for neither Serena nor Venus have played competitively for six months and tennis badly needs them back. Venus may or may not be back in time for the Australian Open, while Serena has already pulled out of her first event of 2004, the Hopman Cup in Perth, and seems unlikely to be in Melbourne for the first Grand Slam.

No doubt the murder in September of their elder half-sister Yetunde Price has undoubtedly prolonged their absence from the court but they have still found time to attend celebrity events to keep their profiles up. Serena in particular has been seen at a number of showbiz functions, notably a tea party to support Michael Jackson last week.

That high profile persuaded Nike to sign Serena up for a sponsorship deal recently worth approximately £34 million and which stands to make her the highest paid sportswoman in history – not bad for someone who hasn’t been active in her sport for more than half a year. Kournikova would be proud. She proved you don’t have to win titles to be a millionaire megastar. Now Serena, despite having a CV which boasts six Grand Slam titles, has proved you don’t even have to bother playing at all.

The Williams appeared on the David Letterman show the same week Justine Henin-Hardenne won the US Open. That fact alone provides a telling snapshot of the state of women’s tennis at the end of 2003.

The American public represent a market which tennis must keep interested to have any hope of staying financially afloat, but they were more interested in watching Letterman than Henin-Hardenne and her compatriot Kim Clijsters, who ended the season as world No 1 and No 2 respectively, contesting the US Open final.

Andy Roddick’s win at the same tournament at least gave Americans – and therefore tennis – something to cheer about. His win was part of what he later called “a fairytale year” for men’s tennis. It began with a 33-year-old Andre Agassi winning his fifth Australian Open but from then on youth had its say and the sport was better off for it. Juan Carlos Ferrero, 10 years younger than Agassi, was flawless at the French Open and Roger Federer played beautifully at Wimbledon. However, Roddick’s win was most significant.

The 21-year-old, who beat Ferrero in the final and ended the year as world No 1, has Serena’s happy knack of combining success on the court with celebrity selling power off, but he plays far more regularly.

He too has appeared on Letterman and now he and actress girlfriend Mandy Moore are reportedly having a reality TV series made about them, yet thankfully for tennis, he still finds time to play and win titles.

It’s doubtful anyone will ever devote the front page of a newspaper to Roddick’s bottom but his elevation to the top of the sport is an encouraging sign that stardom and excellence needn’t be mutually exclusive.

Let’s hope (and apologies to the Sun for this one) it’s the beginning of a rearer.

J. Corwin
12-28-2003, 01:19 AM
I just had to point out the glaring error: Andre went on to win his 4th AO title this year. Not 5th.

:)

Deboogle!.
12-28-2003, 03:40 AM
Great new article!!!!
====
Roddick hopes less is more in '04
Charles Bricker
Published December 28, 2003

Less is more.

That's the Andy Roddick mantra going into the 2004 season, which for Roddick begins in eight days in Doha, Qatar.

Less travel, and smarter travel. Fewer tournaments. Less clay. And, though he has no desire to alter his are-we-having-fun-yet personality, probably less visibility as well. He's not taking the same path Serena Williams traveled when she reached the top hobnobbing with other sports stars and with members of the Los Angeles entertainment industry.

That reality show that was going to peer into the crevices of Roddick's life, both on and off the ATP tour, is officially on hold. Unofficially, it's highly unlikely that Roddick is going to get involved. He does not see this coming season as a celebration of reaching No. 1. In fact, the rejoicing ended weeks ago.

This coming year is going to be a bear, filling with tension and extremely high expectations. Roddick knows that. His coach, Brad Gilbert, knows it. And so does the rest of the team he and his parents have organized to smooth his way through the 10½-month season.

They've all spent hours on the telephone and in meetings throughout December, mapping out 2004, and that includes a great deal of attention to scheduling.

This is Gilbert's first full year with Roddick and there will be differences from the schedule former coach Tarik Benhabiles laid out.

Roddick will open in the Middle East on the way to Australia instead of going directly Down Under. Andy will not take a lot of time off after the Australian Open, as he did last season. Nor does he plan to fly to Monte Carlo after Key Biscayne and come right back to the States to play Houston. That's an extra trans-Atlantic ride he doesn't need.. He'll go directly to Houston after the Nasdaq-100, then go to Europe.

His build-up to the French is carefully plotted. Rome, Hamburg, a week off, and then Paris. He's paring back his clay court time by one event in order to be well rested when he gets to Roland Garros, where he has lost in the first round the last two seasons.

Like last season, he'll play one grass court event (Queens) in his run up to Wimbledon, and that will give him a week off before he gets to the All England Club.

After Wimbledon, Washington is off his schedule. He'll play Indianapolis, Cincinnati and Canada, plus the Olympics, which begin Aug. 9. That will give him a week off before the start of the U.S. Open, where he'll be defending his title. Roddick loves playing for the United States and he's looking forward to the Olympic Games, which combines individual performance with a sense of team.

Roddick hasn't decided on a post-U.S. Open schedule, but there's a strong chance he won't be back at the Delray Beach Tennis Center for the International Tennis Championships. The tournament has been moved from early March to the week after the Open and, if Roddick again goes deep into the draw in New York, he's going to be emotionally spent after that second week.

"On paper, the scheduling is unfortunate," said Roddick's agent, Ken Myerson of SFX. "But at this time it would be unwise to commit to playing there. Next year is not going to be a cakewalk."

When Doha begins on Jan. 5, Roddick will be on top of the tennis world. He's the No. 1 player in the world. He'll be seeded No. 1. He'll be the No. 1 target at the Australian Open. If he falters, it won't be because he hasn't prepared in this short off-season or because he hasn't been prepped for all the new pressures that await him.

Roddick has trained hard the past month, spending a lot of time with his brother, former pro John Roddick, in Austin, Texas. When you're No. 1, there's only one direction to go. One way to decrease the pressure is to give him the down time he needs, which means minimizing appearances and flights.

It also means staying clear of so-called reality shows, which have the potential to invade his life at the worst times.

He's hired a full-time trainer in Doug Spreen, who for years worked for the ATP tour, and he has carefully plotted his 2004 season. To remain at No. 1 all year is unreasonable and he should settle for being No. 1 at the end of the season.

He should set a goal of winning at least one Grand Slam and reaching the second week at the French Open. And he can do all that if he maintains his equilibrium. He doesn't have to become as reclusive as Pete Sampras was during his six-year stay at the top. But there are some lessons to be learned from the way Sampras organized his life then.

Deboogle!.
12-28-2003, 03:43 AM
Ummmmm......

Skipping Monte-Carlo for Houston?????

but I like the idea of less appearances and a much more carefully planned schedule.

but skipping a TMS tourney (when he'll also be skipping St. Poelten and losing points for that) seems like a really bad idea. an extra trans-atlantic ride he doesn't need? It's an important tournament LOL. what he should do is go to MC and then stay there and play a clay tourney in Europe, NOT Houston. And I said that weeks ago. It's great if he likes Houston, but if he's giving up a TMS tourney to play, that seems a little off. Plus, less clay? Thanks....give the haters more hatred-heroin :p

J. Corwin
12-28-2003, 04:04 AM
I don't think it's a bad idea actually. He's not skipping THAT much, imo. Andre does really well with a cut back season. And it's not like Andy's cutting back his schedule to that degree.

Skipping a TMS tournament IS iffy though. But I guess I rather see him play Houston than Monte Carlo.

Deboogle!.
12-28-2003, 04:08 AM
I'm calmer now, lol!

Some of the changes are great ideas I think. St. Poelten doesn't affect that many points, and there's a great argument for being fresher for the clay TMS titles he will be playing.

But to me, the Houston thing seems really off. It has an air of "I know I'll do well in Houston and stink up Monte Carlo so I might as well play Houston and try to win a title" type thing. Maybe I'm wrong and there's a better reason that's just not as self-evident but it still seems odd. I'm sure there's a good reason and I'm sure it'll work out but to purposely skip a mandatory tourney where you can get points.... well I just have to question it, even if there's a good reason lol.

J. Corwin
12-28-2003, 04:11 AM
I agree about getting as much preparation as possible for the European red clay of RG. I have to admit I'm greedy on the titles though lol. I'm looking forward to Andy breaking some records by the time his career is over. ;)

Deboogle!.
12-28-2003, 04:15 AM
I guess.... but there's no guarantee he'll win Houston!

J. Corwin
12-28-2003, 08:42 AM
I'd put my money on him winning Houston over Monte Carlo any day. ;)

Deboogle!.
12-28-2003, 03:19 PM
yeah, me too.... that doesn't equate to being a good idea to miss it lol
=======
More sports top lists!

Best Stories of 2003
— Mike Penner, LA Times
December 28, 2003

10. BATON IS PASSED

Finally, Pete Sampras made up his mind and called it a career, after numerous false starts, at the U.S. Open. Two weeks later, Andy Roddick was hoisting the trophy Sampras won for the last time in 2002, on his way to the year-end world's No. 1 ranking and, U.S. tennis hopes, the revitalizing jolt the slumping sport sorely needs.

star
12-28-2003, 03:50 PM
Hey. I thought Houston was the week BEFORE Monte Carlo this year. I thought I saw the calendar. My memory is that Houston is the same week as Estoril and that other tournament.

Deboogle!.
12-28-2003, 04:24 PM
hmmmmmmmmmm

ok according to the ATP Calendar on their site, Houston is the week of 4/12 and MC the week of the 19th. so, you're right star! :scratch: Plus, Andy's schedule does show him playing in both (and through the USO, his schedule makes pretty good sense)

hmmmmm the plot thickens!!!!!

star
12-28-2003, 04:27 PM
:woohoo: I love to be right!!!! :)

Thanks for looking it up, Deb. I was too lazy. I remembered looking at it when I was trying to decide if there was any chance Coria would play Houston.

Deboogle!.
12-28-2003, 04:30 PM
hahaha that's the lawyer in you, isn't it? (I know.... I'm the same way lol)

So yea... looking at that reporter's line about the extra trans-atlantic flight, it doesn't make sense at all. b/c from right after the AO with Davis Cup right on through to Houston, everything is in the US so there'd be no need for a trans-atlantic flight. then Monte Carlo, Rome, and Hamburg and the FO then grass so it just doesn't make sense lol!

star
12-28-2003, 05:15 PM
hahaha that's the lawyer in you, isn't it? (I know.... I'm the same way lol)

So yea... looking at that reporter's line about the extra trans-atlantic flight, it doesn't make sense at all. b/c from right after the AO with Davis Cup right on through to Houston, everything is in the US so there'd be no need for a trans-atlantic flight. then Monte Carlo, Rome, and Hamburg and the FO then grass so it just doesn't make sense lol!

The reporter was remembering last year's calendar. :)

Deboogle!.
12-28-2003, 05:41 PM
interesting.... so he just doesn't know what he's talking about then :o

Havok
12-28-2003, 08:46 PM
lol, well skipping Monte Carlo isn't so bad, other top players skipped it last year (federer, Agassi, etc.), and besides he doesn't have anything to defend, he went out 1st round. and Houston will always remain on his schedule, so having Houston instead of Monte Carlo is fine. yes MC offers way more points, but having been at Houston before hand, playing there, then with this new 2004 schedule, having a week off since MC is after Houstn, it will give him loads of time to really practice on the red stuff. and with a coach like Brad, you can bet your bottom dollar that he'll make Andy work extra hard on the clay. all Andy's dropping are 2 clay events. St.Poelten doesn't really matter, and Monte Carlo is forgiveable. i'm liking this new schedule, gives him time to practice

Deboogle!.
12-28-2003, 08:48 PM
well considering the reporter's shady facts, I'm no longer convinced he won't play MC. Guess we'll find out soon enough :)

J. Corwin
12-28-2003, 09:02 PM
Interesting. I still wouldn't mind him missing Monte Carlo though. :)

star
12-28-2003, 09:26 PM
I'm all for skipping Monte Carlo. :)

Deboogle!.
12-28-2003, 09:36 PM
why? lol

just curious

J. Corwin
12-28-2003, 10:19 PM
Um. One less tournament to get himself worked over? lol

Deboogle!.
12-28-2003, 10:34 PM
yea.... but it's a TMS tourney...

J. Corwin
12-28-2003, 11:07 PM
That was noted...

J. Corwin
12-28-2003, 11:07 PM
You won't ever see Andy willingly skip a GS that's for sure.

Deboogle!.
12-28-2003, 11:11 PM
well I should hope not!!

I dunno, I just can't help but him missing a clay TMS tourney just makes him look chicken. I doubt you'd see him skip a hardcourt TMS. I dunno... I'll restrain from more judgement til more info comes out.

J. Corwin
12-28-2003, 11:25 PM
He's tailoring his schedule to optimize (in his and Brad's minds) his chances of ending the year #1.

Deboogle!.
12-28-2003, 11:42 PM
that doesn't mean I have to agree with it :p

star
12-28-2003, 11:43 PM
That clay season is too grueling to play all the tournaments. You've got MC, Hamburg, and Rome. I think you have to skip one. TMC's are brutal. Even more brutal than Grand Slams.

J. Corwin
12-29-2003, 12:19 AM
That clay season is too grueling to play all the tournaments. You've got MC, Hamburg, and Rome. I think you have to skip one. TMC's are brutal. Even more brutal than Grand Slams.

You mean TMS's.

star
12-29-2003, 01:09 AM
Yes I do.

What would I do without you to pick up after me? :)

J. Corwin
12-29-2003, 03:05 AM
You wouldn't brainwash me. :)

MisterQ
12-29-2003, 03:27 AM
There are a lot of players who don't play all three clay TMS tournaments. There is always a serious risk of being exhausted by Roland Garros.

Don't know if it is the best decision for Andy or not, but he's still young and figuring out how to best go about his business. At any rate, it doesn't seem unreasonable to do what he's doing.

star
12-29-2003, 04:14 AM
I left a musical question for you, Mister Q. on the chitchat thread.

And Jackson, I'm making a new year's resolution to leave off brainwashing you. :)

J. Corwin
12-29-2003, 09:53 AM
Thanks, star. :)

Deboogle!.
12-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Flat out unbelievable

In January, fans were glued to their seats, forgetting dinner reservations and flights home to savour a piece of Grand Slam history. Nobody was budging from the Rod Laver arena as Andy Roddick and Younes El Aynaoui battled like gladiators. James Buddell reflects on his favourite match of 2003.

Eurosport News

The epic five-set quarter-final match finished in the early hours of January 23rd, with Roddick winning 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 6-4, 21-19 and thus breaking the record for games played in a major final set history.

It was a match to rival Hoad-Trabert (1953), Gonzales-Pasarell (1969), Rosewall-Laver (1973), Borg-McEnroe (1980), Sampras-Courier (1995) and Ivanisevic-Rafter (2001).

Tennis writers searching for superlatives ripped up their copy many times as the Melbourne Park media centre remained packed long after strict deadlines became insignificant.

The contest was about a 20-year-old wannabe star against a likeable 31-year-old journeyman from Morocco.

Perhaps Lleyton Hewitt's comeback against Roger Federer in the Davis Cup semi-final and Mark Philippoussis' s final effort against Juan Carlos Ferrero roused the home support more, but this was one for all.

Many records were broken.

The longest final set in an Open-era Grand Slam (two hours 23 minutes), to the most number of games in an Australian Open fifth set (40), to the highest number of games in a match at the Open since tie-breaks were introduced (83).

With El Aynaoui's final forehand volley error, the Arab and the American met at the net for a three-minute ovation, a handshake and an embrace.

In the end, nobody had lost really.

Jim Courier hailed this match as a turning point in the young American's career. Many commentators agree.

Nine months later the Nebraskan celebrated a breakthrough Grand Slam victory at the US Open and finished the year at No. 1.

Next month, Roddick will head to Melbourne alongside coach Brad Gilbert realising that to reach the quarter-final stage is no longer enough.

He now knows he can go all the way.

heya
12-29-2003, 07:54 PM
It's a piece of cake to have high hopes for him now! :p I thought he had a good chance to win the '03 AO even though he suffered a lot.
That big match was both jaw-droppingly incredible and bitter for him.
Just keep Shuttler & Agassi away from the final next time. ;)

J. Corwin
12-29-2003, 08:46 PM
All the way...all the way. ;)

Deboogle!.
12-30-2003, 06:05 PM
Excerpts from USTA.com ATP year in review. According to the site they'll have a feature about Andy in a couple weeks :)
-------
Year in Review: ATP Wrap-up

12/23/03 8:01 PM

By Greg Laub, USTA.com

The year started off the way you would expect, with Andre Agassi recapturing his glory and dominating Down Under. But the twists and turns were just around the corner, as each major saw a new champion emerge, a legend was to retire, and men's tennis was officially turned upside down. But it comes away looking younger and fresher heading into 2004.

After Agassi's monumental win in Australia, it was time for the promising young talents to finally step up. First it was Juan Carlos Ferrero proving once and for all that he can be dominant throughout an entire clay tournament. Then it was Roger Federer finally living up to his billing, playing like a man possessed for two weeks at Wimbledon. And then, after Andy Roddick decided to bring along coach Brad Gilbert in late spring to get his game in gear, he took the torch from Pete Sampras at the US Open, won his first major and powered all the way to the No. 1 spot in the world.

The face of men's tennis was changed, and it never looked better.

Here's a more detailed look at the majors, and a few other stories that highlighted the year of 2003 in men's professional tennis.

Grand Slam breakdown

The four majors in 2003 saw a wide range of storylines, starting with the Ageless American Agassi coming back to take the title in Australia, to the unsung Ferrero dominating the clay courts of Paris, to the talented Federer finally putting it all together in a big way in England, to the young Roddick who took the American torch and ran away with the US Open crown.

Australian Open

Memorable Match:
Andy Roddick vs. Younes El Aynaoui
Sure, Agassi was a nice story, but the real memorable event from the year's first Grand Slam was the epic quarterfinal match between Roddick and El Aynaoui. The five-set marathon lasted nearly five hours, with Roddick triumphant after a remarkable 21-19 fifth set that will go down as the longest in terms of games played since the beginning of the Open Era in 1968. With a total of 83 games, it was also the longest for an entire Australian Open match since the tie-break was instituted in 1971. As for the play in that set, there was drama throughout, with Roddick fighting off a match point at 4-5 to continue play, then later getting broken while serving for the match at 11-10. The two players went on to hold serve for 18 straight games after that, until Roddick finally broke El Aynaoui in the 39th game and served out the match well past midnight and into the next morning.

Roland Garros

Elsewhere, Andy Roddick’s first-round loss prompted Davis Cup Captain Patrick McEnroe to tell the media, “He needs to learn how to rely on more than just his big first serve."

US Open

Overview:
In 2002, Pete Sampras won his 14th Grand Slam title, and a year later he made it official: it was the last time he would ever play a match. So, on the first night of the tournament, Sampras passed the torch to the younger players, and 21-year-old Andy Roddick grabbed it.

In the semis it looked for a moment as if Roddick would fall short of his destiny, but he managed to rally all the way back from a two-set deficit and match point down to reach the final. In the championship match, Roddick was a force, rolling over Juan Carlos Ferrero in straight sets to capture his first Grand Slam title.

"No more, 'What's it feel like to be the future of American tennis.'" Roddick said as he triumphantly entered the interview room.

Memorable match:
Andy Roddick vs. David Nalbandian
In the aforementioned semifinal match, Nalbandian was just one point shy of upsetting Roddick and destroying his hopes of breaking out in front of his home crowd. The Argentine dominated the match from the very beginning, but in the third set tie-break he failed to convert, and he let Roddick climb back into the contest, eventually taking the thrilling five-setter by a 6-7(4), 3-6, 7-6(7), 6-3, 6-1 score. The best moment was obviously when Nalbandian had a break point for match, and Roddick calmly blasted a 138-mph serve untouched to save the tie-breaker and his US Open run.

USA Tennis Month

James Blake and Andy Roddick helped kick off USA Tennis Month with appearances on two of the country's most popular breakfast shows. While Blake was chatting it up on "The Today Show" and getting involved in a mixed doubles match with Katie Couric against weatherman Al Roker and Alexandra Stevenson on center court at New York's Rockefeller Center, Roddick appeared on "Live! with Regis and Kelly. "

Regis Philbin, a huge tennis fan, and Kelly Ripa had a great time with Andy on the set, but perhaps the most fun came after the interview, when they wheeled in a ping-pong table for a live head-to-head match between Andy and Regis.

Roddick and Blake later joined U.S. Davis Cup Captain and TV commentator Patrick McEnroe, former world No. 1 Jim Courier, WTA stars Alexandra Stevenson and Zina Garrison, as well as former New York City Mayor David Dinkins and TV personality Daisy Fuentes for more fun and activities. The Smithereens performed a live concert, a number of interactive displays were on exhibit on the top level of Rockefeller Center, and members of the NYPD and various corporate sponsors also joined in the fun with games of pro-am mixed doubles.

It was all part of the USTA's Rock 'n Rally festival to kick off May as USA Tennis Month, and it was once again a huge hit.

ATP FINAL STANDINGS

Rank Prev. Name Country Points Trn #
1 (1) Andy Roddick USA 4535 23
2 (2) Roger Federer SUI 4375 24
3 (3) Juan Carlos Ferrero ESP 4205 20
4 (4) Andre Agassi USA 3425 19
5 (5) Guillermo Coria ARG 3330 22
6 (6) Rainer Schuettler GER 3205 29
7 (7) Carlos Moya ESP 2280 24
8 (8) David Nalbandian ARG 2060 21
9 (9) Mark Philippoussis AUS 1615 20
10 (10) Sebastien Grosjean FRA 1610 22

tangerine_dream
12-30-2003, 07:19 PM
Excerpts from USTA.com ATP year in review. According to the site they'll have a feature about Andy in a couple weeks :)

Cool! :yeah: Can never have enough features on Andy. :lol:

Roland Garros

Elsewhere, Andy Roddick’s first-round loss prompted Davis Cup Captain Patrick McEnroe to tell the media, “He needs to learn how to rely on more than just his big first serve."

Wooooo! :eek: Patty Mac actually publicly criticizing Andy. Shocking!

Memorable match:
Andy Roddick vs. David Nalbandian
In the aforementioned semifinal match, Nalbandian was just one point shy of upsetting Roddick and destroying his hopes of breaking out in front of his home crowd. The Argentine dominated the match from the very beginning, but in the third set tie-break he failed to convert, and he let Roddick climb back into the contest, eventually taking the thrilling five-setter by a 6-7(4), 3-6, 7-6(7), 6-3, 6-1 score. The best moment was obviously when Nalbandian had a break point for match, and Roddick calmly blasted a 138-mph serve untouched to save the tie-breaker and his US Open run.

To this day, it cracks me up hearing from the Daveeed:baby: apologists that he lost that match on a bad call (he didn't), he was exhausted (sure didn't look it the first two sets he won), because he was injured (that didn't stop him from hitting winners), etc., etc.; every excuse in the book except the most obvious one: that match was Nalby's to lose and he lost it badly. :angel:

Deboogle!.
12-30-2003, 07:45 PM
hehe yup... and obviously since Andy's sleeping with the entire USTA, it's not surprising they'll write a feature article on his rise to the... ahem... top.

tangerine_dream
12-30-2003, 08:07 PM
hehe yup... and obviously since Andy's sleeping with the entire USTA, it's not surprising they'll write a feature article on his rise to the... ahem... top.

ROTFL! :haha: Andy sleeping his way to the top with the entire USTA! Too funny!

Although, I'll admit, he had me fooled. I always thought he was a bottom. :devil:

MisterQ
12-30-2003, 08:13 PM
ROTFL! :haha: Andy sleeping his way to the top with the entire USTA! Too funny!

Although, I'll admit, he had me fooled. I always thought he was a bottom. :devil:

:haha: Risqué! :eek: :devil:

Deboogle!.
12-30-2003, 08:17 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA See even when I try to be funny.... you one-up me :p

J. Corwin
12-31-2003, 02:44 AM
haha

star
12-31-2003, 01:54 PM
It's great to have Tangy back. :)

tangerine_dream
12-31-2003, 02:59 PM
aawww, thanks! It's great to be back. :hug:

tangerine_dream
12-31-2003, 04:41 PM
From eurosport.com:

Roddick's Seven Wonders

Very few guessed Andy Roddick was capable of winning a Grand Slam title this year let yet alone ascend to the top of the world tree. Eurosport.com sent James Buddell delving into his notebook to pinpoint the main matches and turning points in the American's historic year.

22nd January 2003 - Australian Open, ¼ final (Hard)

Roddick defeated Younes El Aynaoui (MAR) 4-6 7-6(5) 4-6 6-4 21-19

It wasn't Charlie Pasarell-Pancho Gonzalez á la Wimbledon 1969, but this five-hour marathon finishing just before 1am local time, signalled Roddick's progress to his first career Grand Slam semi-final.

In the first major of the year the Nebraskan was ranked tenth in the world, with a seeding of nine. But his career was stagnating having never showed the spark that's sets champions apart.

When the match finished both players lapped up the applause. Roddick had sustained a wrist injury in the longest final set in major championship history.

Barely 24-hours later however, Roddick was 'flat' succumbing to German Rainer Schuettler in four sets.

A great chance had gone begging.

But nobody knew this was just the start of a fabulous year.

27th May 2003 - French Open, 1st Round (Clay)

Sargis Sargisian (ARM) defeated Roddick 6-7(3) 6-1 6-2 6-4

The red stuff is never going to be Roddick's favourite surface. And memories of a quick exit in 2002 were shadowed by victory in St Poelten the week before.

But journeyman Sargis Sargsian, a plague to top-ranked stars didn't fear Roddick's growing reputation.

After the defeat Roddick rather aptly exclaimed: "It's weird going from feeling like you're playing pretty well to not really knowing what you're doing."

The sixth seed headed home and made the decision that would turn his season on his head. Frenchman Tarik Benhabiles, his coach of almost four years departed, only to be replaced two weeks later by one of the greats.

14th June 2003 - The Queen's Club Championship, ½-final (Grass)

Roddick defeated Andre Agassi (USA) 6-1 6-7(5) 7-6(6)

Brad Gilbert, former coach to Andre Agassi was drafted in for the start of the grass-court season, on the condition that Roddick wear his cap properly.

Ten years on from the publication of Gilbert's autobiographical coaching manuel "Winning Ugly" a change in his pupils game was evident.

Big-servers Greg Rusedski and fellow countryman Taylor Dent fell by the wayside before Roddick faced the Las Vegan.

Gilbert's inside knowledge of eight-time Slam champ Agassi paid dividends as Roddick scored his first victory over the veteran in three sets.

A newfound confidence shined through and the 20-year-old went on to beat Sebastien Grosjean of France in the final, providing ideal preparation for the "Big W".

4th July 2003 - Wimbledon, ½-final (Grass)

Roger Federer (SUI) defeated Roddick 7-6(6) 6-3 6-3

Commentators sang Roddick's praises from the off and the clamour grew louder with his safe progress through the opening rounds.

A second round win over a temperamental Rusedski sealed his tag of favourite, but nobody told Roger Federer, the silent assassin who glided through the draw and into a last four match-up.

Both were seeking their first Grand Slam title. Federer of Switzerland produced a master class wowing the knowledgeable Centre Court crowd with his blend of exquisite touch and power.

Federer would go on to take the crown beating Australian Mark Philippoussis in the final, while Roddick was left to rue another missed opportunity.

However the hard-court prelude to the U.S. Open was imminent.

Roddick and Gilbert were beginning to lick their lips.

17th August 2003 - Cincinnati Masters Series, final (Hard)

Roddick defeated Mardy Fish (USA) 4-6 7-6(3) 7-6(4)

Gilbert had been tinkering. The cracks that had formed in Roddick's backhand had been plastered over and a greater consistency was felt on his record-equalling 149mph service action.

The Nebraskan was in his element on the north-American hard-courts, proving almost unbeatable leading into Flushing Meadow.

Tim Henman had beaten him in the Washington final at the beginning of the month but that proved the only blot in a 21-match streak with wins in Indianapolis and the Canadian Masters the highlight.

A week after his Canadian victory best friend Mardy Fish stood in Roddick's way of a Masters Series double.

Fish started slowly, but as the match progressed the 21-year-old Minnesota-born right-hander looked to be one likely to take the $400,000 winners cheque.

But Fish's nerves in the third set were capitalised upon by Roddick who guts out victory eight days before the final Slam of the year was due to start.

Despite being nowhere near his best after his overwhelming schedule, Roddick dug out a gutsy victory and installed himself as the overwhelming favourite at Flushing Meadows.

6th September 2003 - U.S. Open, ½-final (Hard)

Roddick defeated David Nalbandian (ARG) 6-7(4) 3-6 7-6(7) 6-1 6-3

The experts rightly picked the powerful right-hander for the title. But in front of his home crowd, pressure can do funny things. You only have to ask Henman that.

Sweeping through the draw Roddick came up against David Nalbandian - a player he had beaten at the Canadian Masters final in Montreal 6-1 6-3 weeks before - in the semi-finals.

Nalbandian, the 2002 Wimbledon finalist, found himself match point up in the third set tie-break, as the crowds started to wane.

The new hope for American tennis was down and seemingly out.

But Roddick fired down an ace and moments later started a remarkable turnaround for a five-set victory.

The nerves and pressure had left him.

And in the final, newly crowned world number one Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain proved no match, only to stutter in the blazing heat.

Roddick had gone 'big-time'.

15th November 2003 - ATP Masters Cup, Houston, ½-final (Hard)

Roger Federer (SUI) defeated Roddick 7-6(2) 6-2

Roddick came to Houston for the final showdown of the year with one objective: to clinch the year-end world number one rank.

With Agassi's round-robin victory over Spanish rival Juan Carlos Ferrero on Wednesday, the right-hander hadn't needed lift a racket to complete the job.

Gilbert's six-month tenure had reaped rich rewards indeed.

A bonus would have come in beating nemesis Federer in the semi-finals, but the Swiss star chopped and stretched his way to a fifth victory in six meetings.

After the match Roddick explained: "He was reading the game a lot faster than me. The guy has more natural flair and talent for the game than most than anybody, really."

In becoming the sixth American and 13th player to attain the world high in ATP ranking history Roddick knows he's there to be shot at.

He'll also know Federer is on the prowl. Roll on 2004.

Deboogle!.
12-31-2003, 04:55 PM
good one, thanks!!!!!!

MisterQ
12-31-2003, 05:09 PM
cool article!

Deboogle!.
12-31-2003, 05:14 PM
I like how it comments on the high points and low points - since low points are often defininng moments also.

star
12-31-2003, 05:39 PM
Don't you remember Agassi in 2002 or 2001 when he was asked about Andy saying that Andy had the game to be a top player, but being a top player was more about what was in a player's heart and head. He said that he didn't know yet what kind of heart Andy had.

I thought that was such a good answer. Even though I don't particularly like Andre, I think he has great insight into the game and is able to articulate his thoughts well.

So I remembered that, and when Andy won against Younes, I thought....... O.K. So now Andy has shown his heart. I thought it was a very good sign for his game. Of course, we went through some down time before he showed it again. :)

Deboogle!.
12-31-2003, 05:41 PM
yep, star, totally :) I don't think Andy's heart could ever be questioned after that match - Younes's either for that matter.

Andy did show heart before then though.... in the FO match against Chang, the USO match against Hewitt, etc.

star
12-31-2003, 05:50 PM
I disagree about that.

And Chang......... well, a victory over Chang never counts in my book. :)

Deboogle!.
12-31-2003, 05:53 PM
lol forgetting who it was... Andy still showed heart LOL

star
12-31-2003, 05:56 PM
I didn't see it that way. I saw him having a hard time defeating someone he should have defeated easily.

Deboogle!.
12-31-2003, 05:58 PM
oh sure, he should have. But by the end, all the contortions and convulsions and how he was pretty close to tears but still stood up and gritted it out.... I was impressed, especially considering he was only 18 at that point and it was his first time at RG and stuff.

tangerine_dream
12-31-2003, 06:02 PM
And Chang......... well, a victory over Chang never counts in my book. :)

:haha:

Poor Michael Chang: the Rodney Dangerfield of tennis can't get no respect!

Deboogle!.
12-31-2003, 06:05 PM
Rodney Dangerfield of tennis?? HOW do you figure that? LOL

anyway, I like Chang just fine... it was the relgious mumbo-jumbo that turned me off more than anything.

star
12-31-2003, 06:07 PM
vomit

All that Jesus wants me to win stuff.

And then at the end of his career that just became so very funny.

Deboogle!.
12-31-2003, 06:09 PM
LOL star!!!!!!!!! I can't tell, how do you feel about him?

tangerine_dream
12-31-2003, 06:17 PM
All that Jesus wants me to win stuff.

Hee! Well, Jesus certainly didn't deem Chang worthy enough to win another title afterwards. :eek:

You know, Andre Agassi is a born again Christian, too, and I dont think I've ever heard him praise and thank God for letting him win any of his titles and blah, blah, blah (notice how nobody ever says that God must've intended them to LOSE. LOL). Newsflash to athletes (and pop stars for that matter) who invoke the Lord every time they win something: God doesn't give a sh*t how many trophies you can collect in your lifetime. :(

Bunk, think of a tennis player today who gets no respect from fans, the press, or his compatriates and then rate Chang just above him. That's how much of a joke poor Michael had turned into. I don't think it would've been that way for him if he just knew when to quit. He went out with a wimper, which is a shame. :shrug:

star
12-31-2003, 06:21 PM
Andre used to have a minister traveling with him in his entourage. It was one of the more nauseating things about his entourage. He and Chang were in some sort of bible group together although Chang didn't seem to think that Andre was giving it his all. Then Agassi abruptly got rid of the reverend. Got one of his other minions to give him the ax.

I think Andre sort of fell off the "born again" Christian wagon after that.

Deboogle!.
12-31-2003, 06:24 PM
Bunk, think of a tennis player today who gets no respect from fans, the press, or his compatriates and then rate Chang just above him. That's how much of a joke poor Michael had turned into. I don't think it would've been that way for him if he just knew when to quit. He went out with a wimper, which is a shame. :shrug:

Different people just deal with their religion differently. I'm sure many players, just like many people in general, put religion as a very important part of their lives. I just hate when it's thrown in my face. Put it this way, if I didn't want to be an entertainment lawyer, I'd probably go into public interest law doing litigation for the separation of church and state, that's how passionate I am about public religion lol. But anyway...

Yea the way chang went out was purely pitiful. He was like 5-10 in 2003 right? Just really sad in the pitiful sense of the word. And unfortunately, people remember the end. When people think of Pete they will remember how everyone wrote him off for 2 years and then he had his final 2 weeks of glory and they'll remember that with a big "wow" at the end. There ain't nothin' positive to remember Chang's end by! And then that ridiculous ceremony they had at the USO. it was like "oops we had one for Pete and it was a big deal blah blah blah oh wait maybe we should let Chang talk too in between a couple rained out matches" LMAO

tangerine_dream
12-31-2003, 06:26 PM
Yeah, they really dropped the ball on Chang's retirement ceremony. From what I understand, they weren't even planning on giving Michael a send-off in the first place!

Deboogle!.
12-31-2003, 06:28 PM
well.... the question begs: did he really deserve it? I guess I don't know their protocol but he never won the USO or anything... he was always just very BLAH to me. People always said Pete was boring but to me, Chang made Pete look as lively as Andy LOL

star
12-31-2003, 06:32 PM
The good thing about Chang was that he ran for every ball and tried hard on every single point. That's something Sampras never did. I think that hustle and determination endeared him to tennis fans.

tangerine_dream
12-31-2003, 06:33 PM
he was always just very BLAH to me. People always said Pete was boring but to me, Chang made Pete look as lively as Andy LOL

:rolls: I definitely agree with that.

Deboogle!.
12-31-2003, 06:33 PM
yes that's what I liked about him, his AMAZING speed and also determination to run everything down. I mean his leg muscles :eek: holy shit lol

MisterQ
12-31-2003, 06:53 PM
Hee! Well, Jesus certainly didn't deem Chang worthy enough to win another title afterwards. :eek:

Yeah, I've spoken with Jesus and he tells me he wanted Chang to get off the court back in '98!

tangerine_dream
12-31-2003, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I've spoken with Jesus and he tells me he wanted Chang to get off the court back in '98!

ROTFL!! :haha:

Deboogle!.
12-31-2003, 07:33 PM
LMAO misterQ!!!!!!!

You guys just keep outdoing yourselves... tangy that carpet/marat comment could take the cake!!!!!!

J. Corwin
01-01-2004, 04:53 AM
Pete was boring but to me, Chang made Pete look as lively as Andy LOL

I actually quite like Chang. Sampras to me, was OK.

Deboogle!.
01-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Matthew Cronin from tennisreporters.net picked Andy as Player of Year:
======
Male Player of the Year

Rocking Roddick edges Federer based on big-match wins

By Matthew Cronin
tennisreporters.net

The praise showered on the super-popular Roger Federer after his remarkable title run at the Tennis Masters Cup Houston were worthy of a king. After the brilliant 2003 Wimbledon champ ran through Andy Roddick in the semis and then blasted Andre Agassi 6-3, 6-0, 6-4 in the final, even the eight-time Grand Slam champ couldn't find holes in his game.

"He's doing everything great," Agassi said. "He's a great mover, great striker of the ball off both sides. He's a factor from the back of the court, when he comes to the net. His serve is very effective. He knows the game real well, knows court position. As good as it gets out there."

Not quite in 2003.

While it could be argued that No. 2 Federer is as good or better than No. 1 Andy Roddick – especially given his 6-1 match record against him – it doesn't mean that the Swiss is a more accomplished big-match player, or had a better year than Roddick did when it really counted.

Both men won a Slam, with Federer taking Wimbledon and Roddick the US Open. But Roddick also reached the Aussie Open and Wimby semis, while Federer only reached the fourth round of the Aussie and US Open – losing two critical matches to David Nalbandian. Both Roddick and Federer flamed out in the first round of Roland Garros.

Roddick won two Masters Series titles (Canada and Cincy), while Federer won "only won" Houston. It could be argued that Federer had a more consistent year than Roddick at the Masters Series. He also won seven overall titles to six from Roddick and had a better match record (78-17 to 72-19), but Roddick's Slam performances simply push him over the top.

RODDICK STEPPED IT UP AT HOME
Sure, the underachieving Federer faced a lot of pressure at Wimbledon, especially without grass court legend Pete Sampras in the draw. But with three of America's famed Fab 4 legends having retired (Sampras, Jim Courier and Michael Chang) and coming off a sizzling summer hard court season, Roddick was under much more pressure to win his first Slam at home.

Showing a Sampras-type first serve, Courier's in-you-face attitude and a bit of Chang's huge heart, Roddick won his first Slam title in resounding fashion, knocking off No. 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero in the final.

It may have taken the 20-year-old a little longer than some might have wanted to win a Slam, but Roddick came through in flying colors. "No more what's it like to be the future of American tennis crap. No more," Roddick said with a smile. "You couldn't have written a script any better, starting it off with Pete's retirement, Chang is gone. It was just amazing, too good."

FEDERER WAS ONLY A MATCH OR TWO SHORT
Had Federer found a way to figure out Nalbandian, he would have faced Roddick in the semis and could have seized control of the entire season with a victory there. But he didn't.

Roddick didn't stop progressing in NY. With a savvy new coach, Brad Gilbert, he fought through the fall season and did what he had to do at the Tennis Masters Cup in Houston: securing the No. 1 ranking when Juan Carlos flamed out early. Had Ferrero survived and reached the semis, Roddick may have taken a different attitude on court against Federer.

Plus, while Federer is one of the most accomplished Davis Cup players ever, when push came to shove in the semis against Lleyton Hewitt, he lost a critical five-setter.

"Andy deserves his No. 1 spot," Federer said in Houston. "I think he should walk away from here and feel the best. I would feel the same way if I would be No. 1. I'll try to reach what he achieved next year."

Enough said.

There are a few folks who will argue that Ferrero is the player of the year, given that he is the only man to have reached two Slam finals. But after flying to his first Roland Garros crown and reaching the US Open final, Ferrero had a shot at No. 1 in Houston and collapsed, not winning a set in three matches. He also flamed out in the Davis Cup final, falling in five-setters to Lleyton Hewitt and Mark Philippoussis. Players of the year simply do not perform like that.
=====

He's wrong about Ferrero - he won ONE set in Houston right? And Roger is 'only' 5-1 against Andy. But I ultimately agree with his points and a lot of the other stuff he said. I personally feel that one of the only reasons it's considered close between Andy and Roger is because he won Houston and it's what people remember. If someone else had won Houston but Roger still had enough points to be in second, I don't really think it would be part of the picture, but whatever.

I just like a lot of what Cronin has to say, how the pressure was HUGE for Andy and he still came through, how Roger didn't perform in the other slams at all and even in DC when it mattered the most, and I also agree with what he said about the TMC SF match... glad that someone with 'expertise' saw that he didn't really care that much after he secured the #1 LOL

For me this makes up for him choosing the Dahveed match instead of the AO match lol

star
01-01-2004, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the article, Deb.

Havok
01-01-2004, 04:33 PM
i don't agree about Roger being more consistent in the TMS events than Andy
Indian Wells: Andy (QF), Roger (3rd round)
Miami: Andy (3rd round), Roger (QF)
Monte Carlo:Andy (1st round), Roger (DNP)
Rome: Andy (2nd round), Roger (F)
Hamburg: Andy (2nd round), Roger (3rd round)
Canada: Andy (W), Roger (SF)
Cincinnati: Andy (W), Roger (2nd round)
Madrid: Andy (3rd round), Roger (SF)
Paris: Andy (SF), Roger (QF)
Houston: Andy (SF), Roger (W)
total: Andy (24-8), Roger (28-9)

looks like Roger did better but....

wins: Andy (2), Roger (1)
finals: Andy (0), Roger (1)
semifinals: Andy (2), Roger (2)
quarterfinals: Andy (1), Roger (1)

looks pretty even to me, with Andy just edging out Roger because he won 2 of them, and throw in the fact that he won the back-to-back :p

Deboogle!.
01-01-2004, 04:39 PM
I'd say Andy had a far better TMS season. I didn't realize the TMC was counted as a TMS title anyway, it's not named amongst them when the Masters Series is discussed. It's the year-end tournament and it's special all on its own. so I still say that Roger didn't win any TMS titles. he won The Masters Cup and that's good in its own right but him winning that doesn't make up for not winning any TMS titles of the other 9 - the format is completely different, etc, and I think TMS Titles are about as hard to win as a GS since you play matches in fewer days and get higher-ranked players much earlier than in GSs. So that's my opinion. Andy had a far better TMS year than Roger, and Andy and Juan Carlos are pretty close.

tangerine_dream
01-01-2004, 05:04 PM
I think Andy played more consistently than Roger did this year. He won back-to-back TMS titles (very difficult to do) and he reached the semis in three of the GS this year, which Fed did not do. Andy also had that classic AO match and several other memorable, gutsy matches where he saved MP to go on and win. Fed played brilliantly twice (Wimbledon and TMC Houston) but that's about it.

This is why Player of the Year can be no one but Andy this year. :bigclap:

tangerine_dream
01-01-2004, 05:06 PM
You guys just keep outdoing yourselves... tangy that carpet/marat comment could take the cake!!!!!!

Hee! I'm a bad girl. :devil:

Deboogle!.
01-01-2004, 05:06 PM
maybe bad, but oh so funny!!!!!!

Havok
01-01-2004, 07:16 PM
bunk if you go check out www.atptennis.com and click on any of the top 8 dudes, then click on point breakdown for 2003, you will see their points accumulated in the TMC listed with the other TMS events they played in. so it's thrown in with the 9 TMS events. and if you look at the side panels during some TMS events, they have all 9 locations listed, and also the final location for the TMC ;)

Deboogle!.
01-01-2004, 07:57 PM
That doesn't mean in my mind I have to include it. I think it's special enough to be considered it's own thing, the year-end event. I don't think winning that equates winning two TMS events, and no one will convince me of that :)

J. Corwin
01-01-2004, 09:11 PM
I'd say Andy had a far better TMS season. I didn't realize the TMC was counted as a TMS title anyway, it's not named amongst them when the Masters Series is discussed. It's the year-end tournament and it's special all on its own. so I still say that Roger didn't win any TMS titles. he won The Masters Cup and that's good in its own right but him winning that doesn't make up for not winning any TMS titles of the other 9 - the format is completely different, etc, and I think TMS Titles are about as hard to win as a GS since you play matches in fewer days and get higher-ranked players much earlier than in GSs. So that's my opinion. Andy had a far better TMS year than Roger, and Andy and Juan Carlos are pretty close.

I agree. TMS and TMC are different. TMC is bigger of course, but it isn't (and shouldn't) be counted as a TMS title.

Deboogle!.
01-01-2004, 09:45 PM
Oh right, TMC definitely bigger...

glad someone understood what I was trying to say lol :)

Deboogle!.
01-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Here's an article on Younes from the Qatar Newspaper... just keep in mind the source
-----

MOROCCAN Younes El Aynaoui felt honoured that his Australian Open quarter-final against the world No-1 player Andy Roddick of the USA in January was named as the best match of the season by the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP).

The 32-year-old world No 14 was engaged in a neck-and-neck battle with Roddick, eventually winning the match 4-6 7-6(5-7) 4-6 6-4 21-19, after more than five hours.

It was a match for the record books, with the longest fifth set, in terms of games played, since the beginning of the Open era in 1968. And with a total of 83 games, the match, also regarded the best in 2003 on the CNN website, was the longest match in number of games at the Australian Open since 1971.

The Moroccan gained recognition of the tennis viewers worldwide despite the fact that the veteran has been on the ATP Tour for 10 years.

"It's a great souvenir. People began to know me after having played tennis for more than 10 years,'' said El Aynaoui, who was forced to retire from the Paradorn Super Tour in Thailand earlier this month due to an injury to his right heel.

He sustained the injury six weeks ago and had not fully recovered when he came to Thailand. He was below par and lost his first match in two months to Marcelo Rios 1-6 6-7 (4-7) in Khon Kaen. After a long-distance call from his doctor, El Aynaoui withdrew. "Hopefully my condition will be better in time for Doha and Melbourne [the Australian Open] where I reached the quarter-finals,'' said the oldie, who has no plans to wave goodbye to the circuit in the near future.

"I started tennis quite late and still enjoy travelling and competing. Physically I think I still can play for a few more years. The most important thing is to stay injury-free,'' added the Moroccon, who joined the pro tour in 1990.

The Arab pin-up fondly remembers the epic battle with Roddick in Melbourne, specially the crowds.

"Everybody stayed until the end, you know, five hours," the desperately weary but gracious Moroccan said later. "They were pushing us at the end. They were not with Andy or me, they were just enjoying a good match."

A good match? Good? El Aynaoui may well have been delirious with fatigue, so we shall forgive his outrageous understatement. Technically, El Aynaoui had just lost 21-19 to Andy Roddick in the fifth set of a quarter-final in which the record-breaking quantity of games and minutes played was matched only by the sustained quality. By every other measure, the non-winner had lost nothing at all.

It was one for the ages, but in which age played little part. It was about the endurance of a young punk of 20 and a journeyman of 31, but also the audacious excellence of the near-nerveless tennis played over four hours 59 minutes, into the early hours of a cool Melbourne summer's night.

Records were set - many of them - from the longest final set in an Open-era grand slam (two hours 23 minutes), to the most number of games in an Australian Open fifth set (40), to the highest number of games in a match at the Open in the three-plus decades of the tie-breaker (83). Statistics reveal only part of what transpired on the rubberised hard court named after Rod Laver, although the fact that the tournament's ninth seed and its 18th both separately belted more than 100 winners paints a little more of the background of this grand picture.

Fellow American Jim Courier was euphoric, hailing it as the turning point of the Roddick career that, less than nine months later, celebrated a breakthrough grand slam victory.

Having cancelled their dinner reservations hours before, tennis writers from around the planet were scrambling for superlatives while reminiscing about comparable five-setters such as Hoad-Trabert (1953), Gonzales-Pasarell (1969), Rosewall-Laver (1973), Borg-McEnroe (1980), Sampras-Courier (1995) and Ivanisevic-Rafter (2001). Those of us with harsher deadlines watching the final stages from the Melbourne Park media centre could only write, then rewrite, then rewrite again to accommodate the many ebbs and flows, while hoping to do justice to the drama in progress.

When it was over, when El Aynaoui netted a forehand volley a lifetime, or so it seemed, after Roddick had saved a match point in the 10th game of the fifth set with a cracking forehand that, considering the circumstances, he agreed was the best shot he had ever hit, the Arab and the American met at the net for a three-minute ovation, a handshake and an embrace. Roddick held El Aynaoui's arm aloft, later proclaiming his opponent as "a class act".

With the exception of some Roddick outbursts towards French chair umpire Pascal Maria, it was, indeed, a wholly classy show.

Deboogle!.
01-02-2004, 01:46 AM
supposedly the AO match was picked as the 5th best game of the year by ESPN (for ANY SPORT!)

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

:banana:

trying to find more info but having no luck on the ESPN site.

Deboogle!.
01-02-2004, 04:53 AM
OK Got some more details! It was an episode of SportsCenter dedicated to the top 10 games of the year.

It MIGHT repeat next Thursday the 8th at 6pm eastern according to zap2it. Now we just gotta remember to watch!!

MisterQ
01-02-2004, 05:01 AM
supposedly the AO match was picked as the 5th best game of the year by ESPN (for ANY SPORT!)

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Well, it should be there, as we all know!

But I'm glad the wider sports community recognizes a tennis match belonging there. so :woohoo: !

Havok
01-02-2004, 05:47 PM
:woohoo: i dont get ESPN :woohoo:

Deboogle!.
01-02-2004, 05:48 PM
LMFAO Naldo

J. Corwin
01-02-2004, 08:15 PM
lmfao.

Well I do get ESPN. I hope I don't forget about this.

Deboogle!.
01-05-2004, 02:14 PM
there's an article about Andy at this South African site here

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/More_Sport/0,6119,2-9-32_1465759,00.html

The title is "Andy: Best is yet to come" so it sounds like a good article! Probably from his Doha press conference or something. But it's subscription only.... I doubt anyone subscribes to anything from SA but maybe someone can finnagle a way in. the preview from Google says "Andy Roddick, who finished 2003 as the year-end world No 1 for the first time at the age of only 21, warned that in another 12 months he expects to be ... "

In any case it sounds good and positive :)

Deboogle!.
01-05-2004, 03:20 PM
Roddick, the tennis rage, is in town!
Web posted at: 1/5/2004 1:30:13
Source ::: The Peninsula

DOHA: World No.1 Andy Roddick of the US is in town!

The 21-year-old, the game’s new sensation after becoming the second youngest player in history to claim the top rank on the ATP computer, is in Doha not for sightseeing, but to kick-start the 2004 season by appearing in the $1m Qatar Open, which begins today.

Roddick, who won the US Open at the Flushing Mea-dows in September 2003, will not be seen in singles action till Wednesday, but once the right-handed American takes to the Khalifa Tennis Complex court, he will exhbit the same level of exuberance and enthusiasm that brought him six ATP titles and more than $3m in prize money last year.

By playing in the Qatar Open, the American will become the second world No.1 after compatriot and now-retired Pete Sampras, to play in Doha. Sampras’ Doha debut (and only appearance) took place in 1994.

Roddick, the 6-feet 2-inch lithe athlete, need not worry that Sampras lost to qualifier from Morocco Karim Alami in their first-round clash of the Qatar Open a decade ago since Roddick is only starting his maiden season as a world No.1, has lesser pressure and a much younger body to resist the rigours of top-flight tennis.

The Qatar Open 2004 should launch the season for Roddick in positive fashion given his stellar performances last season.

Last September, Roddick became youngest American (21 years, two months) and second overall (behind Lleyton Hewitt, 20 years, eight months in 2001) to finish No.1 in history of ATP rankings (since 1973).

He also made biggest jump to No.1 from previous year, improving from No.10.

His new status also allowed him to become the sixth American to finish No.1 and first since Andre Agassi did so in 1999 (others to hold the that mantle include Sampras - 6 times, Jimmy Connors - 5, John McEnroe - 4, Jom Courier - 1, Agassi - 1).

As far as other stats go, Roddick compiled best season of his career in 2003 with six titles (second to Roger Federer’s 7) on three different surfaces in eight finals, 72 match wins and an ATP-best 19-match winning streak.

The American was also the only player during year to reach semi-finals or better at three of four Grand Slams and won first Slam at the US Open.

Roddick also registered a co-record 149mph serve (239.7kmh) in June at Queen’s Club in London en route to winning title.

The American made coaching change after losing in the first round at Roland Garros and hiredAgassi’s former mentor Brad Gilbert in June.

He opened season with first career Grand Slam semi-final at Australian Open and won back-to-back five-set matches, including a Grand Slam record, 21-19, in fifth set in quarter-finals win over Younes El Aynaoui in a five-hour marathon.

The fifth set was longest in games in history of Grand Slam play. Roddick lost to German Rainer Schuettler in the semi-finals.

Roddick won his first title of season in St Poelten (beat Niklay Davydenko) before losing to Sargis Sargsian at the French Open first round.

The American turned things around on grass by posting wins over Greg Rusedski, Dent, Agassi (saved one match point) and Sebastien Grosjean in the final to win Queen’s Club title and continued success at Wimbledon where he lost in the semi-finals to eventual champion Federer.

In what was to be a memorable two-month period, Roddick began hard court circuit with title in Indianapolis (beat Paradorn Srichaphan), lost to Tim Henman in semi-finals of Washington and won back-to-back Tennis Masters titles in Montreal (beat Federer in semi-final, David Nalbandian in final) and Cincinnati (Max Mirnyi in the semi-finals and Mardy in the final by saving two match points).

Roddick put together his most impressive run at Flushing Meadows (US Open) where beat Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain in the final.

Soon afterwards, he became leader of ATP Champions Race and helped US to 3-2 Davis Cup World Group victory over Slovakia.

Roddick led ATP circuit in four (of six) service categories — aces (989), 1st serve points won (81 per cent), service games won (91%) and break points saved (69%), and finished tied No. 2 in 2nd serve points won (59 per cent). He also played and won most tie-breaks, compiling a 36-21 mark. Last but not least, Roddick got richer by earning a career-high $3,227,342.

Deboogle!.
01-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Stage set for thrilling Qatar Open contests
Web posted at: 1/5/2004 3:38:31
Source ::: The Peninsula/ by D RAVI KUMAR

DOHA: Some of the world’s top racquet-wielding gladiators have descended on Doha to strut their stuff in the ATP Tour’s $1m ExxonMobil Qatar Open, which starts here today.

World No.1 Andy Roddick of the US leads the star parade and will be followed by world No.6 German Rainer Schuettler, who created history here in 1999 by lifting the title after gaining entry through the qualifiers, world No.9 Australian Mark Philippoussis and world No.10 Sebastien Grosjean of France.

With the line of difference between the top 20 players being wafer thin, the presence of Chile’s Nicolas Massu (No.12), Morocco’s Younes El Aynaoui (No.14) and Britain’s Tim Henman (No.15) makes the field for the 2004 edition of the Qatar Open arguably the toughest ever.

“We have seven of the world’s top vying for honours and this has not happened in the past,” said a proud Sheikh Mohammed bin Faleh Al Thani, president of the Qatar Tennis Federation, on the eve of the tournament.

Saturday’s draw has set up a couple of interesting first-round encounters and among them the most anticipated one is the clash between defending champion Stefan Koubek of Austria and Philippoussis.

However, with Koubek and Philippoussis not taking to the court in singles action today, the opening day’s most interesting match could be the Centre Court clash between Schuettler and Russian Davis Cup hero Mikhail Youzhny.

The match is scheduled for a 4pm start and will be followed by the Hicham Arazi (Morocco) vs Thomas Enqvist (Sweden) match and then the Henman vs David Sanchez (Spain) clash on the Centre Court.

However, for the connoisseurs of the game, there will be a mouth-watering doubles tie awaiting them on the Centre Court today, involving Roddick and Koubek on the one side and the Moroccan pair of Hicham Arazi and El Aynoui on the other.

Roddick is drawn to meet Russia’s Nikolay Davydenko in the singles first round and the 21-year-old American is expected to cruise into the second round where he is likely to run into Sweden’s Jonas Bjorkman, who plays Czech Republic’s Radek Stepanek in the first round.

Based on form and class, one can safely put money on Roddick to move into the semi-final where he could, in all probability, come into the firing line of ‘The Scud’, Philippoussis. The Australian lost last year’s Wimbledon final.

One will have to wait and see what could be the outcome and the result here could be a pointer to the things to happen Down Under in the Australian Open.

The semi-final candidates from the relatively easy bottom half could be number two seed Schuettler, assuming he overcomes his possible quarter-final opponent Henman, and the winner of the other likely quarter-final between Grosjean and American Jan-Michael Gambill, who was last year’s runner-up.

Entry to the Khalifa Tennis Complex is free for the public. The QTF will be distributing free tickets on a daily basis for those who want to watch the matches.

With the Doha weather being pleasant and an array of super stars in the fray, this year’s Qatar Open promises to be one of the best in recent years.

Don’t waste the opportunity to see your favourite stars in action. Come on, tennis fans, make it to the Khalifa Tennis Complex and enjoy top class tennis.

heya
01-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Good articles! *shocked* :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-05-2004, 04:35 PM
why are you shocked? lol

Deboogle!.
01-05-2004, 05:54 PM
OK, I got the South Africa article
====

Andy: Best is yet to come

05/01/2004 15:03 - (SA)
News24, South Africa

Doha - Andy Roddick, who finished 2003 as the year-end world No 1 for the first time at the age of only 21, warned that in another 12 months he expects to be significantly better than now.

Roddick, who begins the 2004 tour against the Russian Davis Cup player Nikolay Davydenko in the first round of the Qatar Open on Tuesday, believes he is a long way from the finished article.

"My self esteem isn't affected by something like hitting tennis balls, but my mentality is a lot different from what it was a year ago," said the American.

"A lot of the fear in being a tennis player is the fear of the unknown. But I now know that I can do it. If I face the prospect of having to come back from two sets down I now know I can.

"My goals may now be as memorable as in the past (Roddick achieved his prime goal of winning the US Open) but I have set myself the aim of improving different aspects of my game.

"I feel like although I finished number one there are a lot of things I can get better at," he added.

Roddick volunteered that one of these is his fitness, but the others he prefers not to announce to his rivals.

However it is an open secret that Roddick wants to develop his ground-stroke patterns by increasing his ability on the backhand drive, to continue his policy of coming to the net more often and to develop his volleying skills.

But he doesn't expect to sweep all before him. Asked about his "early" Wimbledon exit, he exclaimed: "Early - a semi-final? I assure you I will have a lot of earlier exits than that.

"I felt I was playing well enough to have won Wimbledon, but that doesn't mean you will. There are a lot of guys who are rivals, but Roger Federer has to be the most talented player on the planet.

"I feel pretty fortunate to have been number one because things (have to) go your way. I made more progress than I thought last year.

heya
01-05-2004, 06:39 PM
*surprised that Andy's so fired up & articles aren't negative*
glad he doesn't tell the world how amazing he is ROFLMAO

star
01-05-2004, 07:22 PM
*Stomping my foot!

Andy..........*narrowing eyes*........ Let's not be all that glowing about Roger! You can't be worshiping a guy that you intend to beat. grrrrrrrr

J. Corwin
01-05-2004, 07:54 PM
lol star

heya
01-05-2004, 08:49 PM
What a wimpy, soft attitude
BAD Rodduck! :tape: :mad: :p

Deboogle!.
01-05-2004, 08:54 PM
lol in all seriousness, you're right star.... Roger's in his head, I think he's the one player who Andy really feels inferior to and that will always pose a problem for him lol

Deboogle!.
01-05-2004, 09:16 PM
from Andy's official site:
----
“East Meets West and Andy Speaks With AR.com!”

By: Sarah Alvanipour
Andyroddick.com

1/5/2004 --

Andy Roddick fans wait no longer! The 2004 tennis season is officially underway in three cities across the world and our very own Andy is making his debut appearance at the Qatar Exxon Mobil Open, which begins today in the Middle Eastern tennis oasis and capital city of Doha. Think the Middle East meets Los Angeles or better yet, Beverly Hills.

Andy departed sunny South Florida last Thursday opting to spend the first week of the year in another toasty warm spot, Doha, Qatar, where the temperature in January ranges between the mid 60’s to 70’s Fahrenheit (mid teens to low 20’s Celsius), and rainfall is as rare as a Roddick double fault. Talk about a warm welcome.

Andy was very “excited” about his first-ever trip to the Middle East. As a native of the region myself, I couldn’t help but offer some pieces of advice, but Andy is confident and relaxed. “I’m sure the tournament officials will do their best to make us feel comfortable,” he replied.

When asked why he has chosen to kick-off the season in Doha as opposed to the warm-up tourneys in Australia, Andy responded that it is an exciting opportunity and that he wanted to see the region for himself. “I want to see for myself if what you hear is really what you get, and that way I can form my own opinion.” He also added that he is looking forward to the new experience and hopes that he can make a strong start to the season.

Joining him will be fellow American, Jan-Michael Gambill, a regular at the tournament, who reached the finals last year before falling to Austria’s Stefan Koubek. Also making repeat appearances will be Rainer Schuettler and Younes El Aynaoui, who have both won the title in the past.

Andy was surprised by the caliber of attendees at the Exxon/Mobil Open. Joining him will be Mark Philippoussis, Tim Henman, and Guillermo Coria. “I didn’t know until Brad told me,” said Andy, “It’s a major tournament.”

It may be major, but as the No. 1 ranked player in the world, Andy has earned the top seed in the tournament, followed by Germany’s Rainer Schuettler, who was seeded second, but has already fallen to friend and part-time training partner, Mikhail Youzhny. More bad news for German fans as former World No. 2 Tommy Haas, who was originally listed on the tournament roster, but is currently absent from the official singles draw. Haas was to return to the ATP tour after a year’s absence. A right shoulder injury sidelined him for the entire 2003 season, forcing him to sit out the entire year and undergo right rotator cuff surgery for the second time on July 18, 2003.

Andy is scheduled to play Nikolay Davydenko of Russia in his first round encounter to begin tomorrow. The two have met twice previously, at Delray and St. Poelten, with Andy claiming both matches in straight sets. In the meantime, Andy will be doing double-time, literally, partnering with the singles defending champion from Austria, Stephan Koubek to play doubles against the Moroccan team of El Aynaoui and Arazi tonight. Koubek will have his hands full with 2003 Wimbledon finalist Mark Philippoussis in his first round singles opener.

Although Roddick and Koubek will be playing on the same side of the net this week, it will be a much different story come the weekend of February 6-8 when the U.S. takes on Austria in the first round of the 2004 Davis Cup, which will be contested at the Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Connecticut.

For the latest from Doha, visit the tourney’s official website, www.qatartennis.org . Also, tune into AR.com for updates and for more from our exclusive interview with Andy to learn how I played a prank on Andy that had even him laughing.

J. Corwin
01-05-2004, 09:29 PM
A welcoming article...finally one that's more tournament oriented.

Deboogle!.
01-05-2004, 09:30 PM
yea totally!!!! FINALLY TIME FOR TENNIS! :banana:

Havok
01-05-2004, 10:09 PM
ohh very mature of him, wanting to form his own opinion :rocker2: very nice article, ESPECIALLY the "and rainfall is as rare as a Roddick double fault" part. so true :banana:

Deboogle!.
01-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Our little baby Andy is growing up so much. What a mature and poised comment from a 21 yr old.

J. Corwin
01-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Well I would hope he's mature. 21 is an adult. lol

heya
01-05-2004, 10:42 PM
Some 21 year-olds are less mature than he is. :lol: :lol: :lol:

heya
01-05-2004, 11:55 PM
The A-Rod celebrity bubble continues to grow, especially after Andy Roddick became tennis's version of The Osbournes by agreeing to a reality TV show later this season, but he denied yesterday that these off-court activities will suck him of his resolve.

This 21-year-old buck from Omaha, Nebraska - who, according to an American insider, can do "an ace" impression of Ozzy Osbourne - said that he had not been affected by "a blur of a summer". He finished the year with a US Open title and the world No 1 ranking.

Perhaps, he has been teased, that ranking, and dating pop singer Mandy Moore, is not enough - he wants more as a pop culture icon, allowing the intrusion of cameras everywhere. Roddick, though, says his ego remains in check.

"My self-esteem has not changed at all," he said. "But the mentality is a lot different - a lot of the fears that you have as a tennis player are fears of the unknown. Now I know that I can win a Grand Slam."

If Roddick had any thoughts of doing 'a Serena' and dabbling long-term in the acting world, they disappeared fairly quickly when he hosted Saturday Night Live, the first tennis player to do so since Chris Evert.

"I'll stick with my day job. The camera's on and you're live to five million households. I felt totally vulnerable."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2004/01/06/sthenm06.xml

Deboogle!.
01-06-2004, 04:14 AM
Roddick ready for new year

Reuters
Monday, January 5

DOHA, Qatar -- World No. 1 Andy Roddick says he is going into the new season full of confidence after "a dream year" in 2003.

The 21-year-old American moved to the top of the world rankings after starting the year ranked at 10, winning six titles along the way including his first Grand Slam at the U.S. Open.

He also reached the semifinals at the Australian Open and Wimbledon.

"I have gained a lot of confidence following my good show last year. It was a dream year for me," Roddick told reporters at the start of the Qatar Open on Monday.

Roddick launches his season Tuesday against Russia's Nikolay Davydenko in the first round in Qatar, where he is preparing for the Australian Open beginning on Jan. 19.

Last year, Roddick lost in the semifinals of the year's opening Grand Slam to Germany's Rainer Schuettler, following a grueling quarterfinal victory over Morocco's Younes El Aynaoui that lasted just under five hours.

"I am going to Australia fully confident," Roddick said.

"I thought playing in Doha would help me prepare well for Australia. The Doha tournament has a good field."

Schuettler, Australia's Mark Philippoussis, El Aynaoui and defending champion Stefan Koubek are among those also taking part in the $1 million event, where Roddick is the top seed.

Roddick appointed Brad Gilbert, Andre Agassi's former mentor, as his coach in June after being knocked out in the first round of the French Open and the change had an immediate impact.

But the U.S. Open champion denied he was trying to emulate Agassi after Gilbert helped turn the 33-year-old from a wild child into one of the world's greatest players.

"I see no similarities in our careers. Andre (Agassi) is a great player," Roddick said.

"Perhaps 12 years ago Andre might have been where I am today. That's all, there end the similarities. I have a long time to go before I reach his level."

Roddick said he did not feel threatened by any particular player this year but felt Switzerland's Roger Federer, the Wimbledon champion who finished the year No. 2 in the rankings, was the most talented.

"There are a lot of good players in the circuit, but Roger (Federer) probably could be the most talented," he said.

J. Corwin
01-06-2004, 06:06 AM
Andy is respecting Roger too much. lol
Such admiration.

heya
01-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Spend time adding more to your game, Andy.
It's awful enough when he gets depressed on court, and it's not a good idea to save face by constantly putting himself down offcourt. :tape:

No, Andy-you didn't play well enough to win Wimbly '03.
No, you didn't train correctly for FO either.
No kidding, smarty pants...you can't be satisfied now. :devil:

tangerine_dream
01-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Andy is respecting Roger too much. lol
Such admiration.

Heh. Good on Andy. It just makes the rabid anti-Andy Roger fans look like classless dweebs. :devil:

J. Corwin
01-06-2004, 07:39 PM
hehe

Deboogle!.
01-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Heh. Good on Andy. It just makes the rabid anti-Andy Roger fans look like classless dweebs. :devil:

LOL.... really though, it does..

heya
01-07-2004, 06:22 AM
Mailbag (CNN)

I recently read that Andy Roddick is cutting back his schedule in 2004. What effect do you think this will have on his ranking? --Toni, Miami

Prompted in part by the coaching change and in part to some fairly gross misjudgments by his handlers, Roddick's schedule was something of a mess last year. Because a) the kid is a good sport and b) he's only 21, the consequences weren't dire. But he made James Brown look like a slacker. Ever since Roddick played six out of seven weeks last summer, there has been a lot of talk of dialing back his commitments for 2004.

That said, I don't see a whole lot of room for downsizing. You figure he'll play the four Slams. He's likely to play at least seven or eight of the Masters Series events. I doubt he'll play all three clay spring tournaments in Europe but otherwise, he should be at all the hardcourt and indoor shindigs. He's getting big bucks to play in Doha this week and would probably do well to get another event under his belt before the Australian Open. He's already committed to play Houston -- he loves the promoter, Jim McIngvale, and his wife, Linda. Surely he'll play a grass tune-up before Wimbledon. He's already committed to play Indianapolis, which he won last year. Delray is Roddick's hometown tournament and gave him one of his first wild cards. Plus it's one of the few events that his south Florida friends and family can attend without getting on a plane. His management company SFX runs the Washington, D.C., event so it's hard to see him taking a pass on that tournament. According to Brad Gilbert, Roddick will play in the Olympics. And, to his complete credit, he is a Davis Cup stalwart. That's another three, possibly four, weeks right there. Add in a likely Masters Cup appearance and we're looking at very booked world tour.

Prophetic
01-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Heya

could i get a by line on that so i can post it to RO (or one of my resident staffers could track it down)