03-02-2006, 04:11 PM
Roger back to business :cool: :cool:

mangoes
03-02-2006, 04:11 PM
Roger back to business :cool: :cool:

I know.............. ;)

LLeytonRules
03-02-2006, 04:13 PM
I noticed that Vik was 1 out of 6 on break chances, is this too much for Federer?He usually doesnt allow u alot of break chances in a match, maybe 2 or 3 but not 6.

Hola Mr. SK
03-02-2006, 04:14 PM
a Rafa-Fed final in Dubai :rocker2:

gusman890
03-02-2006, 04:15 PM
whats it now? 55 hard court wins?

Fed/Nadal doesnt seem that far away, time for Federer to tie the H2H at 2-2 =)

Dirk
03-02-2006, 04:17 PM

Yes, then beat his ass on clay too. :)

PahelWaske
03-02-2006, 04:18 PM

Yeah let's hope so! Even though I didn't watch it, score looks better than under the last matches :) Could someone provide a little match report, sort of?

rofe
03-02-2006, 04:24 PM
I noticed that Vik was 1 out of 6 on break chances, is this too much for Federer?He usually doesnt allow u alot of break chances in a match, maybe 2 or 3 but not 6.

Your perception is right. Players are able get more break chances against him - especially in the early rounds. There could be any number of reasons for that. They are able to read his serve better, Fed is not trying hard enough on keeping his serve consistent because he is ultra confident about his break game against players etc.

One thing I have noticed is that he tends to play below par if an opponent doesn't push him or Fed feels that he can beat the opponent easily. He definitely tightens his game if he is pushed. He plays really well under pressure.

jenanun
03-02-2006, 04:27 PM

nah... going to be 1-3 H2H ;)

mangoes
03-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Your perception is right. Players are able get more break chances against him - especially in the early rounds. There could be any number of reasons for that. They are able to read his serve better, Fed is not trying hard enough on keeping his serve consistent because he is ultra confident about his break game against players etc.

One thing I have noticed is that he tends to play below par if an opponent doesn't push him or Fed feels that he can beat the opponent easily. He definitely tightens his game if he is pushed. He plays really well under pressure.

Agree. I think he doesn't want to use too much mental energy in beating players he is fairly confident he will win against.

rofe
03-02-2006, 04:29 PM
For those who watched it live - does Fed still have his ankle strap on?

gusman890
03-02-2006, 04:31 PM
i can see it

SUNDAY (sat here in the usa)

R. Federer def R. Nadal 6-0 6-0 ;) , then its 2-2, but hey anything can happen =)

stebs
03-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Federer certainly played better than he has been playing but it wasn't a performance as good as the scoreline might suggest. I think Vik maybe didn't deserve such a harsh scoreline.

Even so, Fed looked like he could raise his game whenever he needed to and he did when he was break point down. 6 break points Vik had, he took 1 of them, lost 1 in a rally but Fed saved 4 with aces :eek:

peripheral
03-02-2006, 04:35 PM
For those who watched it live - does Fed still have his ankle strap on?
Yes. I didn't see the match, but from the first of the pictures, he is still wearing the ankle strap.

bokehlicious
03-02-2006, 04:39 PM
nah... going to be 1-3 H2H ;)

:haha:

rofe
03-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Yes. I didn't see the match, but from the first of the pictures, he is still wearing the ankle strap.

Ah thanks. That is bad news. It means that the ankle has not healed properly yet and he has to play and defend two very competitive back-to-back TMS tournaments... :scared:

Dirk
03-02-2006, 04:46 PM
No it doesn't mean that. Roger could be wearing it for safety reasons. Maybe he is mentally insecure about taking it off.

gusman890
03-02-2006, 04:49 PM
If he can win a GS with it, 2 Masters shouldnt be a problem.

Dirk
03-02-2006, 04:50 PM
He should win here and at IW and tank Miami to get ready for clay season. :)

Leo
03-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Masters Series events are often tougher than Slams.

But anyway, one step at a time. Misha may just beat Fed for the first time eva! ;)

bokehlicious
03-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Misha may just beat Fed for the first time eva! ;)

Quite possible indeed, and it would not be a drama anyway ;)

rofe
03-02-2006, 04:59 PM
He should win here and at IW and tank Miami to get ready for clay season. :)

Yeah I would like him to do that as well because it would be great if he could go deep at Monte Carlo except, instead of tanking he should withdraw due to "injury".

peripheral
03-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Ah thanks. That is bad news. It means that the ankle has not healed properly yet and he has to play and defend two very competitive back-to-back TMS tournaments... :scared:
I really don't think that's the case. There were some pics of him practicing in Dubai, and he wasn't wearing the ankle brace then. I think he wears it in a match situation more as a precautionary measure, so that he doesn't have to worry about the ankle and can focus on his game.

LLeytonRules
03-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Monte Carlo would be big for Roger if he wins, he always wins in Hamburg cause the clay is not that slow.

NYCtennisfan
03-02-2006, 05:09 PM
All the talk about him not playing well in the first two rounds was much ado about nothing. He raises his game when he needs to.

NYCtennisfan
03-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Monte Carlo would be big for Roger if he wins, he always wins in Hamburg cause the clay is not that slow.

Hamburg has the slowest clay of all the TMS clay events.

LLeytonRules
03-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Are u sure about that?I thought otherwise.

Jordanjames
03-02-2006, 05:37 PM
I think some tennis fans are expecting too much from Roger because he has been so dominant for so long some people expect him to win every match with ease. Roger Federer is NOT a machine he's a human being. He cannot play perfectly every single time he is on the tennis court. Nor can he win every match easily. A lot of things come into play when a player plays a match. In the first two matches clearly Roger was rusty having been off for over a month..yet STILL in those matches he won in straight sets and he WON the big points and that is the difference between Roger Federer and all the other men on the ATP tour. Federer as Sampras rightly said.."finds a way to win even when he is not at his best." At the Australian Open I can honestly say Roger didn't play his best to win that event..and yet he won anyway because he is the best and plays the big points better then anyone. So yeah, is he struggling perhaps but remember he is human.

Fergie
03-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Rogi! :yeah:

s.m.
03-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Federer certainly played better than he has been playing but it wasn't a performance as good as the scoreline might suggest. I think Vik maybe didn't deserve such a harsh scoreline.

i agree 100%
there is nothing really to add

Art&Soul
03-03-2006, 01:40 AM
Alezz ROGI, yay, win the title :angel:

Corey Feldman
03-03-2006, 01:48 AM
He should win here and at IW and tank Miami to get ready for clay season. :)how many tournaments has Fed played since roland garros last year?
i'll tell you .. 9 (including this week) thats 9 tournies in like ten months.
i think he's bloody skipped enuff events...be it injured/tired/at home watching the winter olympics or whatever.

NYCtennisfan
03-03-2006, 02:05 AM
Are u sure about that?I thought otherwise.

Yep. :) The conditions can vary greatly from day to day of course. For example, against Coria in 2004 when Federer ended Coria's long clay court winning streak, Hamburg was playing faster than usual with a sun-dried court. Rome has the "fastest", but if it is played after some rains, the court can be very muddy.

PamV
03-03-2006, 02:26 AM
how many tournaments has Fed played since roland garros last year?
i'll tell you .. 9 (including this week) thats 9 tournies in like ten months.
i think he's bloody skipped enuff events...be it injured/tired/at home watching the winter olympics or whatever.

Well he must be doing something right since he's winning almost every tournament he enters. Maybe quality of results is more important that quantity of tournaments played? Guys who spread themselves too thin either end up playing a lot but losing early......OR....they end up with chronic injuries.