Nadal outguns Henman to reach Dubai SF, 7-6(1) 6-1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal outguns Henman to reach Dubai SF, 7-6(1) 6-1

Deivid23
03-02-2006, 01:14 PM
He didnīt play well in 1st set but was once again too good on most crucial points (specially saving bpīs), heīs serving better and better every time (8 aces today) and heīs quickly kicking out his "rustyness of being 4 months out". Well done, Rafa, u fucking animal :lol:

PD: Tim also helped, itīs fair to say, heīs too inconsistent from baseline these days, even I missed his usual great volleying.

Hola Mr. SK
03-02-2006, 01:17 PM
well done Rafa!:yeah: Now make the final!

Björki
03-02-2006, 01:18 PM
well done Rafa :bigclap:

DhammaTiger
03-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Congrats Rafa :worship: :bowdown: :yippee: :yippee: :yeah: :bounce: :hatoff: :woohoo: :woohoo: :dance: :bigclap:. commiserations to Timmy :sad:

bokehlicious
03-02-2006, 01:27 PM
PD: Tim also helped, itīs fair to say, heīs too inconsistent from baseline these days.

:yeah: :sad:

Jim Jones
03-02-2006, 01:28 PM
He didnīt play well in 1st set but was once again too good on most crucial points (specially saving bpīs), heīs serving better and better every time (8 aces today) and heīs quickly kicking out his "rustyness of being 4 months out". Well done, Rafa, u fucking animal :lol:

PD: Tim also helped, itīs fair to say, heīs too inconsistent from baseline these days, even I missed his usual great volleying.
What do you mean he did not play well in firstset. He won the tiebreaker 7/1! Isn't that good enough to you. You are like those people yesterday who were boasting when the kuwaiti player broke Federer's serve but ended up losing in straight sets.

Deivid23
03-02-2006, 01:31 PM
What do you mean he did not play well in firstset. He won the tiebreaker 7/1! Isn't that good enough to you. You are like those people yesterday who were boasting when the kuwaiti player broke Federer's serve but ended up losing in straight sets.

Well I think I can easily distinguish by myself when Nadal plays well and when he doesnīt, itīs not like I donīt know what heīs capable on a tennis court, thanks ;)

LLeytonRules
03-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Hopefully we get that Fed vs Nadal final.

gusman890
03-02-2006, 01:32 PM
good win for RAFA

i want a fed/rafa final with fed killing him in str8 sets =)

Corey Feldman
03-02-2006, 01:34 PM
good week Tim...
now play like it for rest of the year.
Nadal in the final for sure now.

helen phillips
03-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Perhaps we can set a date for the retirement party after all. Is it too early to order the cake?

Billabong
03-02-2006, 01:46 PM
I don't see anybody preventing a Federer-Nadal final :o

ReturnWinner
03-02-2006, 02:09 PM
lol at everybody said nadal was done

yes nadal improved his serve very much, now he gets many free points

jackieglover
03-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Want to see a Federer/Nadal final.

Mistaflava
03-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Rafa-Feds Final

too obvious

Bertuska
03-02-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm so happy for Rafa :clap2:
I hope to see him and Roger in the final!!

SLICK
03-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Full match report with press conference quotes from both players now exclusively on WWW.Inside-tennis.net

MariaV
03-02-2006, 02:38 PM
I don't see anybody preventing a Federer-Nadal final :o
And hopefully it'll be a great final. :D I can't wait for their new encounter. :D

propi
03-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Congrats Rafa :D
Keep going :cool:

bokehlicious
03-02-2006, 02:44 PM
And hopefully it'll be a great final. :D I can't wait for their new encounter. :D

I actually see Fed loosing :shrug: ... And this defeat would not be that bad for Roger :) , but what pisses me off is just thinking of all the Fed bashers / Rafatards coming in here praising the beginning of the end of the Fed dominance :tape:

santhuruu
03-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Jeeejjj Rafaël!!! Congratulations!!! Keep it going men!!!

jenanun
03-02-2006, 02:53 PM
I actually see Fed loosing :shrug: ... And this defeat would not be that bad for Roger :) , but what pisses me off is just thinking of all the Fed bashers / Rafatards coming in here praising the beginning of the end of the Fed dominance :tape:

vamos rafael!!!! go and beat roger in the final!

bokehlicious
03-02-2006, 02:56 PM
vamos rafael!!!! go and beat roger in the final!

Yeah it would be good for the kid :) and it won't be the end of Roger's world either :wavey:

revolution
03-02-2006, 03:09 PM
For the first set, I thought Henman was the better player. As he did yesterday, he handed a game on a plate to Nadal (2-3). He played the better tennis till the breaker when it was back to the errors. Rafa had it won when he had the first set and saved 0-40 as Henman descended into the error-stricken poor player he is when he's off form.

Castafiore
03-02-2006, 04:58 PM
heīs serving better and better every time (8 aces today)
On Tuesday against Mathieu he had 9 aces and now 8. :yeah: Keep up the good work, Rafa!
Last year, I was happy to see him get 8 aces during an entire tournament.

JustmeUK
03-02-2006, 05:08 PM

actually I don't see Fed loosing.. not if it's the Nadal that showed up against Tim today playing.

Nadal played well enough today but he was nowhere near his best of last year. the FH misfired fairly regularly. On top of that I don't think he was reading the play as well as last year. Tim brought a very good gameplan to the table and if he had executed better he might have caused an upset. It consisted mostly of hitting to Nadal's backhand and trying to get a short-ish ball that he could attack into the open space and get to the net and it worked on more than one occasion. He also tried to take the ball early to deny Nadal time and that worked too. Problem was Tim didn't serve well enough and in trying to go for his shots he made too many UEs. Federer could go for the same plan and I'll bet he could execute much better. To be fair Rafa countered well by cutting down on his UEs and getting very good depth on his shots and of course he can hit winners too. All in all it was a very interesting first set.

Still I'm favoring Fed at the moment given he's played more this year than Rafa but let's just hope both players bring their best to the final. It would be a great match to watch then!

LLeytonRules
03-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Lets not forget the surface people, i know that Rafa gave Fed all he can handled in miami, but it was one match.Who knows how this one could turn out.

bokehlicious
03-02-2006, 05:15 PM
actually I don't see Fed loosing.. not if it's the Nadal that showed up against Tim today playing.

Nadal played well enough today but he was nowhere near his best of last year. the FH misfired fairly regularly. On top of that I don't think he was reading the play as well as last year. Tim brought a very good gameplan to the table and if he had executed better he might have caused an upset. It consisted mostly of hitting to Nadal's backhand and trying to get a short-ish ball that he could attack into the open space and get to the net and it worked on more than one occasion. He also tried to take the ball early to deny Nadal time and that worked too. Problem was Tim didn't serve well enough and in trying to go for his shots he made too many UEs. Federer could go for the same plan and I'll bet he could execute much better. To be fair Rafa countered well by cutting down on his UEs and getting very good depth on his shots and of course he can hit winners too. All in all it was a very interesting first set.

Still I'm favoring Fed at the moment given he's played more this year than Rafa but let's just hope both players bring their best to the final. It would be a great match to watch then!

Thanks for that report as I didn't see Rafa's match. And of course, all in all, I always trust in my ninja and hope he'll take his 4th title in a row there :)

Deea
03-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Hopefully we'll get a Nadal-Federer final! :yeah:

mallorn
03-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Well done, Rafa! :yippee:

The first set was so close, I had to leave when they were tied at 6-6 and I honestly wasn't sure if Rafa would win, the way he let Tim back in the match. :o I've got to have more faith. :lol:

Absolutely, once he started missing in the TB there was no going back. Poor Tim, even though there was no way I was going to root for him in this match, ;) I actually felt for him at one point when he had this sort of embarrassed look on his face. Props to him though for fighting back at the end of the first set. And good to read that his back is fine. :yeah:

There's no way of knowing what's going to happen, especially since neither is playing their best tennis. :shrug:
This defeat would not be that bad for Rafa either ;) but I would hate all the Rafa bashers/Fedtards to come here :woohoo:ing and calling Rafa dirtball, trash, etc. and saying that the only reason their head-to-head was in Nadal's favour was because of a heat stroke and darkness. :tape:

Of course, one of these things is very likely to happen. ;)

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5123/3506fj.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Scotso
03-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Rafa :D

mallorn
03-02-2006, 05:48 PM

Not having seen Rafa play in what feels like 100 years, it looked to me that he's changed his game quite a bit. First of all, he served MUCH more aggressively and had a few aces at over 200 km/h. :eek: Last year it was unheard of! He got a lot of cheap points on his serve, but there's a flip side to this as well: he's serving more double faults. Last year I was never worried that he'd double fault on BP, and this is exactly what happened in the first set today. Luckily he's also capable of firing an ace on match point down (Marseille). His groundstrokes seemed more aggressive too, but this meant that he made more UEs than he used to last year.

He's been amazing at saving BPs this year, both here and in Marseille there were a few times when he got 0-40 down and ended up winning the game. On the other hand, there's something strange about first sets, he keeps saying he doesn't play them offensively enough and yet continues being too defensive. I think and hope this will change as he gets more match practice and confidence.

All in all it was great but a bit strange watching Rafa back in action after such a long break.

Ditto. ;)

oneandonlyhsn
03-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Well done Rafa :bigclap:

Poor Tim :sad: I hope he keeps going

Merton
03-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Neither player was at their best but Rafa was better at the crucial points. Rafa has definitely improved his serve, as he gets more on court experience he may be dangerous in IW and Miami. It is too early to talk about the clash with Roger, both are playing below their best and they have a semifinal to play before they meet each other.

JustmeUK
03-02-2006, 06:06 PM
yes he has improved in some areas for sure.. but that's not just from last year to now.. rafa unlike some has really been improving year on year and I am sure this will continue. his serve has improved most I think.. as for going for shots more I'm not sure he's any more aggressive today than he was say in madrid last year. in fact sometime in the middle of last year I remember saying to myself he's going for a much flatter shot when he's got the opportunity to put the ball away.

as for saving BPs.. well there's a difference saving BPs vs his opposition in Marseille and Dubai compared with saving them against Fed. he simply cannot afford to give that many BPs away. if he does I'll bet Fed wins in an easy two sets. it is good to see Rafa back though :)

Horatio Caine
03-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Well Tim did better than I expected to be honest! :lol:

I was expecting a 6/4 6/1 type scoreline. Second set was predictable really...Rafa has the game to dismantle Tim and if they ever play a few more times, I'm sure Henman will never beat him unfortunately.

I'm a little disappointed that Henman seemed to be playing more from the baseline...but it hsa been an awesome week, and he gains another 15 points in the Race! :woohoo: :yeah: :banana:

Well done Tim! :worship:

Tracy89
03-02-2006, 07:41 PM
A Federer-Nadal final will cause me a heart attack for sure!!!

Dirk
03-02-2006, 07:45 PM
A Federer-Nadal final will cause me a heart attack for sure!!!

That avator is sad. Why does Wimbledon and RG give such small trophies. The Oz one is bigger than those and I think the USO gives out the same size trophy as the real one.

justClaudia
03-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Rafa. :bounce:

musefanatic
03-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Aww a shame for Tim but it's great that he got to that 7-6 scoreline, even though he did lose the set with such a margin. This can only lead to better things hopefully! :)

Congrats to Rafa :)

gusman890
03-02-2006, 09:14 PM
rafa :) good job boy

World Beater
03-03-2006, 06:07 AM
yes he has improved in some areas for sure.. but that's not just from last year to now.. rafa unlike some has really been improving year on year and I am sure this will continue. his serve has improved most I think.. as for going for shots more I'm not sure he's any more aggressive today than he was say in madrid last year. in fact sometime in the middle of last year I remember saying to myself he's going for a much flatter shot when he's got the opportunity to put the ball away.

as for saving BPs.. well there's a difference saving BPs vs his opposition in Marseille and Dubai compared with saving them against Fed. he simply cannot afford to give that many BPs away. if he does I'll bet Fed wins in an easy two sets. it is good to see Rafa back though :)

fed's break point conversion in general is actually terrible in comparison to other top guys. He just keeps putting the pressure on, that the other guy cracks eventually.

JustmeUK
03-03-2006, 08:44 AM
match available to download here

www.geocities.com/rosaponselle

Jogy
03-03-2006, 11:28 AM
now get Federer in the final, Rafaaaaa! :clap2:

The Pro
03-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Tim sure is the perrenial optimist. After losing he said he felt positive as his back was feeling better and he was more or less happy with the way he played, since Nadal is no2.

I love the guy, but he's got to get his sites higher.

BlakeorHenman
03-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I go to his website every day after his matches but they always say the same thing.

Win he wins, he's just trying to put a few matches together, and when he loses, he's satisfied that he got to play and a teeeny bit disappointed in his performance.

What sucks is that I really think he has a game that can trouble the hell out of someone like Nadal if he sets his sights on it.