Will the other young American men win a major or majors? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will the other young American men win a major or majors?

Jordanjames
03-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Well, after reading Sampras interview with the Associated Press lets be honest here, American men's tennis is in dire straits. Ginepri a top 20 player has only won one match this year. Blake hasn't reached his potential he is currently ranked at no.21..Taylor Dent I don't know what happened to him..although I believe he is still top 40. And Marty Fish is just coming off an injury so time will tell. But the talent level clearly isn't like Sampras era where he had Agassi a multiple slam winner and former no.1, Jim Courier also a 4 time slam champion and former no.1 and Chang...I guess I include Chang because he did manage to win one major and made it to no.2. Even the level below you got Todd Martin made it to two slam finals.and Malivai Washington managed to reach the 1996 Wimbledon final.

Yet with this new generation besides Roddick none of the young American men have reached a grand slam final. And none have reached the top 10. The question is will any of the young American men currently playing win a major? I think Ginepri or Blake would be the best bet... but I have a feeling that if Taylor Dent would drop the weight, get stronger mentally, he would be a top 10 player.

morningglory
03-02-2006, 01:56 AM
from the way things are looking, no.

morningglory
03-02-2006, 01:56 AM
And Andy is no longer a slam contender... :ras: :banghead:

Mistaflava
03-02-2006, 01:58 AM
Ginepri is a joke

Roddick is a joke

Scoville Jenkins will never grow up

Mardy Fish is...well....nevermind

Andre Agassi is finished

TENNIS USA is looking pathetic. Any saviours out there????

El Legenda
03-02-2006, 01:59 AM
Roddick will never again win a GS or TMS :wavey: .

Winston's Human
03-02-2006, 02:30 AM
No.

As opposed to prior generations, Andy is the only US player in his generation who will win a slam or make a slam final (or even break into the top 10)

IMO, we are now seeing the effects of the pressure placed on Andy with all his compatriots falling far short of expectations.

Solid_Snake
03-02-2006, 02:33 AM
Nope, but I think Roddick may win another US Open someday.

Merton
03-02-2006, 02:35 AM
If all the stars are perfectly aligned, James could win the U.S. Open. Other than that, only Andy is a regular candidate on 3/4 majors. (obviously not on his current form)

helen phillips
03-02-2006, 02:48 AM
All pretenders not contenders. And in tennis terms none except Jenkins really qualify as young.

helen phillips
03-02-2006, 02:56 AM
If all the stars are perfectly aligned, James could win the U.S. Open. Other than that, only Andy is a regular candidate on 3/4 majors. (obviously not on his current form)

I think they might have to fall from the sky before Blake wins a Slam. I like his game but he doesn't have 'it'. Even an unlikely Slam champ like Johanssen had a better pedigree to win than Blake.

njnetswill
03-02-2006, 02:59 AM
No. There was promise at the end of last year that Ginepri/Blake were going to break through, but their starts have been awful. Dent will never be a true contender at the highest level. Fish I don't even really see as a factor. We used to have Roddick, but he is a mess as well. Jenkins hasn't developed into anything yet. And well...Donald Young.... :o

NATAS81
03-02-2006, 02:59 AM
Andy Roddick:

* builds a strong contention for the US Open after re-hiring Brad Gilbert.

* fails to convert in two more Wimbledon finals

Robby Ginepri:

* peaks with matching quarter-final results in both the Australian and US Opens

Taylor Dent:

* is forced to retire early, however achieves a Wimbledon semi-final

Bobby Reynolds:

* maxes out with a US Open quarter-final

Amer Delic:

* reaches quarters at the Australian

* is thwarted to reach the semi-finals numerous times at the hands of the other young Americans at the US Open

Alex Bogolomov Jr.:

* becomes a successful mixed doubles player with his wife Ashley Harkleroad, notching rare said titles

Rajeev Ram:

* wins several small titles; however is overshadowed at the slams

Brian Baker:

* gains national attention, however cuts short career due to injury

Scoville Jenkins:

* becomes youngest African American semi-finalist at the US Open since Arthur Ashe

Donald Young:

* becomes first left-handed American since McEnroe to win a grand slam

Hola Mr. SK
03-02-2006, 03:03 AM
count on one of them, Jaden/Ryan/Christian ;)

njnetswill
03-02-2006, 03:12 AM
Andy Roddick:

* builds a strong contention for the US Open after re-hiring Brad Gilbert.

* fails to convert in two more Wimbledon finals

Robby Ginepri:

* peaks with matching quarter-final results in both the Australian and US Opens

Taylor Dent:

* is forced to retire early, however achieves a Wimbledon semi-final

Bobby Reynolds:

* maxes out with a US Open quarter-final

Amer Delic:

* reaches quarters at the Australian

* is thwarted to reach the semi-finals numerous times at the hands of the other young Americans at the US Open

Alex Bogolomov Jr.:

* becomes a successful mixed doubles player with his wife Ashley Harkleroad, notching rare said titles

Rajeev Ram:

* wins several small titles; however is overshadowed at the slams

Brian Baker:

* gains national attention, however cuts short career due to injury

Scoville Jenkins:

* becomes youngest African American semi-finalist at the US Open since Arthur Ashe

Donald Young:

* becomes first left-handed American since McEnroe to win a grand slam

Are you serious? :confused:

Jordanjames
03-02-2006, 03:22 AM
Remember I'm not talking about this year..I am really talking about lets say for example for the rest of this decade. I mean at the end of this decade...well I hope one of them will breakthrough..

helen phillips
03-02-2006, 03:34 AM
Remember I'm not talking about this year..I am really talking about lets say for example for the rest of this decade. I mean at the end of this decade...well I hope one of them will breakthrough..

Having gotten bounced early I'm hoping Safin, on his way to Indian Wells, is going to drop by, bend me over my kitchen table and give me what I deserve. Sadly, hoping isn't going to turm my scenario into a reality anymore than it is yours.

rofe
03-02-2006, 03:43 AM
Having gotten bounced early I'm hoping Safin, on his way to Indian Wells, is going to drop by, bend me over my kitchen table and give me what I deserve. Sadly, hoping isn't going to turm my scenario into a reality anymore than it is yours.

:haha:

Seriously, American mens tennis ( and womens as well) needs a major injection of fresh talent. Unfortunately, something has gone wrong at the grassroots level. Even Nick's academy seems to be churning out ball bashers. I am frankly a little frustated with the state of affairs though I am not sure what needs to be done. Maybe hosting more clay tournaments and making soccer more popular (the second best sport for the #1 and #2 - I am being semi-serious here) could have the desired effect.

helen phillips
03-02-2006, 03:43 AM
Alex Bogolomov Jr.:

They better hurry because the meter is running on that train wreck of a marital union.

Merton
03-02-2006, 03:53 AM
I think they might have to fall from the sky before Blake wins a Slam. I like his game but he doesn't have 'it'. Even an unlikely Slam champ like Johanssen had a better pedigree to win than Blake.

He could have made it to the final the previous time. Most probably he would have lost against Roger but you never know... He has improved on his serve and his backhand, but he still has no concept of point construction and he is not patient enough. I don't believe it will happen, but if he finds himself on a red-hot streak, who knows?

Merton
03-02-2006, 03:55 AM

That would also require all the stars to align wouldn't it? :lol:

World Beater
03-02-2006, 03:59 AM
blake has the game, but he has no belief. None of them except roddick have the mind of a champion...at least not yet.

blake is too content with where he is, he was so happy to lose to agassi even after having two sets up on him.

helen phillips
03-02-2006, 04:00 AM

Seriously, American mens tennis ( and womens as well) needs a major injection of fresh talent. Unfortunately, something has gone wrong at the grassroots level. Even Nick's academy seems to be churning out ball bashers. I am frankly a little frustated with the state of affairs though I am not sure what needs to be done. Maybe hosting more clay tournaments and making soccer more popular (the second best sport for the #1 and #2 - I am being semi-serious here) could have the desired effect.

I tend to think that the women really suffer from Wilander Syndrome, having achieved their goals they just lost interest. The men on the other hand just under achieved, assuming the pinnacle was their goal.

When did Nick ever churn out anything but ball bashers?

Solutions? I think the USTA needs to be more pragmatic in developping talent. If you look at France they are really supportive of their players. Clement and Grosjean just based on size were never probably going to be at the very top. But by nurturing 2nd rate talent that works hard I think you create an atmosphere of success. Gasquet is in the wind but for the first time in a while they have someone with a 1st rate talent and I think the competitive and supportive atmosphere the french federation creates helped identify and nurture him. I don't think we are seeing this in the US. US players are either over-hyped and under developped - its a bad recipe - like Donald Young or sort of ignored as James Blake was.

helen phillips
03-02-2006, 04:04 AM
That would also require all the stars to align wouldn't it? :lol:

I'll say! For me it would be a miracle. For Marat probably more horrifying than his worst nightmare.

Jairus
03-02-2006, 04:07 AM
I'm trying to think if US tennis has ever been in this kind of rut...not too good on my tennis history, but maybe the second half the 80s, post McEnroe and pre-Chang. That was a solid 5 years without a US Slam if I'm not forgetting someone. Anyone remember what that was like, the causes, or how it was overcome?

*Viva Chile*
03-02-2006, 04:11 AM

Bolletieri sucks :p

Jordanjames
03-02-2006, 04:24 AM
I think Blake suffers from trying too hard to appear as though he is non threatening. black male athlete. .Its cool that he wants to get along with his peers but that doesn't mean he has to act so much like a wimp sometimes. Sometimes I feel he tries a bit too hard to be "nice" that it just appears fake. He is a pro tennis player..and I wonder if he had a different coach if he would have the intensity to be a champion. I think he should talk to Richard Williams..

helen phillips
03-02-2006, 04:43 AM
I think Blake suffers from trying too hard to appear as though he is non threatening. black male athlete. .Its cool that he wants to get along with his peers but that doesn't mean he has to act so much like a wimp sometimes. Sometimes I feel he tries a bit too hard to be "nice" that it just appears fake. He is a pro tennis player..and I wonder if he had a different coach if he would have the intensity to be a champion. I think he should talk to Richard Williams..

Why? Does he also want to play and then not want to play in a battle of the sexes exhibition? The intangible the sisters possess, or rather possessed, was a hunger nurtured from childhood. You can't teach it to a millionaire former Harvard student in his mid twenties.

CmonAussie
03-02-2006, 05:17 AM
Put simply ~ NO!...The current generation doesn`t have the goods although Roddick could still get hot again & maybe win one more [unlikely]?...

2006-2011... Slams will be won by the Swiss (natually only Roger), Spain (Nadal...), France (Monfils or Gasquet?), Argentina (Nalbandian et.al.), Cyprus (Baggy can pull it off) & if I`m really lucky then Australia might get another couple (if Hewitt can regain his confidence [a la win some TMS again 1st] & Federer gets beaten b4 finals etc.).
Maybe my points are obvious but that`s my two pennies worth.

Jordanjames
03-02-2006, 05:20 AM
What does Blake going to Harvard got to do with it? I guess for you Blake is considered an "articulate" black athlete..BUT Blake comes across to me as someone that's very self conscious and tries a bit too hard to be "likeable" or to fit in. The stuff he he said after losing a heartbreaking loss to Agassi at the US OPEN was ludicrous...He just didn't believe in himself...

And by the way Blake was born in Harlem..and he first got into tennis by taking lessons in Harlem...Blake doesn't got that toughness that Venus and Serena possess. When Venus and Serena were young they got called all kinds of names on the WTA tour..people said they never would become champions but they did..because they had that inner belief that they were taught by their father that they are as good as anyone else in pro tennis...he doesn't got that drive..that belief that he deserves to be a champion or that he is a champion. Blake's coach has taken him as far as he can..but if Blake wants to get to the top he needs a new attitude, a more tougher one. I guess we will have to see if Monfils or Young or Jenkins will win a major. in time even though Monfils, Young and Jenkins are very young.those boys already have a better attitude then Blake. I feel they got the toughness that Blake really does not possess....

helen phillips
03-02-2006, 05:44 AM
What does Blake going to Harvard got to do with it? I guess for you Blake is considered an "articulate" black athlete..BUT Blake comes across to me as someone that's very self conscious and tries a bit too hard to be "likeable" or to fit in. The stuff he he said after losing a heartbreaking loss to Agassi at the US OPEN was ludicrous...He just didn't believe in himself...

And by the way Blake was born in Harlem..and he first got into tennis by taking lessons in Harlem...Blake doesn't got that toughness that Venus and Serena possess. When Venus and Serena were young they got called all kinds of names on the WTA tour..people said they never would become champions but they did..because they had that inner belief that they were taught by their father that they are as good as anyone else in pro tennis...he doesn't got that drive..that belief that he deserves to be a champion or that he is a champion. Blake's coach has taken him as far as he can..but if Blake wants to get to the top he needs a new attitude, a more tougher one. I guess we will have to see if Monfils or Young or Jenkins will win a major. in time even though Monfils, Young and Jenkins are very young.those boys already have a better attitude then Blake. I feel they got the toughness that Blake really does not possess....

It isn't about what neighbourhood you grew up in or being articulate (the W. sisters are very articulate). A champions attitude can't be coached, that kind of belief is ingrained from childhood or developed from Juniour success. It is very hard to create (in James case) a me against the world mentality if your rich, attend Ivy League schools and are social and outgoing . In the case of the W. sisters we see that with success it is hard to sustain that posture (they also had one another). Jimmy Connors did it better and longer than anyone but Jimmy was a true loner.

Jordanjames
03-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Blake, saying "it couldn't have been more fun to lose," was gracious in defeat to Agassi at the US OPEN. Thiat quote was from a USA today article. What I don't like about the media is Blake is considered articulate because he's a punk..and yet Venus and Serena are considered "arrogant" for believing in themselves. Blake's attitude is pretty much of that of someone that doesn't have the self esteem necessary to make it to the top. And maybe people are right at 26..he's not getting any younger. And its not just that he says "nice" things about opponents but he goes out of his way..to appear as non threatening as possible...that its very hard to take him seriously as a competitior....

In my mind..Blake wasn't being honest in his loss to Agassi. Maybe that's what's holding the young American men back they place Roddick and Agassi on a pedestal..and they don't even believe they are on or should be on the same level as them. When I read Mardy Fish's blog last week I was shocked..how he went out of his way..to appear as though he wasn't really that upset losing to Roddick 7-6 in the third set. Its their attitude towards higher ranked players..that has held the young American men back..there is no feeling that they deserve to be at the top..or that they really have a shot at beating someone like Agassi or Roddick. They don't want to appear as though they are "jealous" or whatever..but they appear as timid. I can't wait until someone else comes along and says "yeah I know I can beat Agassi or Roddick" and actually does it. Because its the attitude first that is telegraphed to an opponent...James seems false and just plain weak..and he didn't believe he should be Agassi..or be able to beat Agassi. Although Scoville Jenkins lost to Nadal last year at the US OPEN I was iimpressed with his attitude...something Blake clearly does not posess that killer instinct that will to win. Blake lost to Agassi..because he felt it he didn't deserve to win..even though he had so many chances to win that match...

stebs
03-02-2006, 03:53 PM
The question is will any of the young American men currently playing win a major?

I think it is very unlikely

I think Ginepri or Blake would be the best bet

They are both decent players but no more. They don't have the weapons to win majors, simply put...Not good enough!

but I have a feeling that if Taylor Dent would drop the weight, get stronger mentally, he would be a top 10 player.

I think top 20 if he gets some lucky draws at big events but the top 20 is filled with players who are just on another level from Dent.

Can you really imagine the top of tennis in a year or so including Dent?

Maybe it will have players like thse in it:

Federer
Nadal
Roddick
Hewitt
Nalbandian
Safin
Ljubicic
Gasquet
Ferrero
Monfils
Gaudio
Davydenko
Gonzalez
Murray
Berdych
Ancic
Ferrer
Coria
Baghdatis
Tursunov
Djokovic

etc...

Dent isn't a bad player bu he doesn't belong up with those players.

Jordanjames
03-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Maybe you're right because things are looking really dire..I guess the American media will have to wait for the next cycle..the next generation of young American men to see if they can reach the top. So far its Andy Roddick he is all alone and the pressure seems to have gotten to him...He simply doesn't have a no.2 or no.3 American male in the top 10. I think that's really it..If any of these guys Blake, Ginepri, Dent, Fish, ever made it to the top 10..then they would be contenders. So far the top 10 has proven to be elusive..although Blake and Ginepri have managed to crack the top 20..top be top 10..you simply have to be consistent you win your first round matches..

rexman
03-02-2006, 09:08 PM
What I find interesting is Roddick's slump has come AFTER Blake and Ginepri started to do better.

Maxpowers
03-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Mardy is coming off a wrist injury and I don't know how good he can really be, but the others all seem to be capable of doing well. Ginepri made it to the semifinals of the US Open last year and took Agassi to 5 sets in the semis. If he can play well again I don't see why he couldn't eventually win 1 major.

One other thought I had is that in the previous generation most of the time the Americans were making it to the quarterfinals and then running into each other. Look how many times Sampras, Agassi, Courier, Chang, and Martin played each other and how deep into the tournament is usually was. Its not at all like that now.

cedez
03-03-2006, 01:26 AM
Mardy is coming off a wrist injury and I don't know how good he can really be, but the others all seem to be capable of doing well. Ginepri made it to the semifinals of the US Open last year and took Agassi to 5 sets in the semis. If he can play well again I don't see why he couldn't eventually win 1 major.

One other thought I had is that in the previous generation most of the time the Americans were making it to the quarterfinals and then running into each other. Look how many times Sampras, Agassi, Courier, Chang, and Martin played each other and how deep into the tournament is usually was. Its not at all like that now.

Ah, the good ole days! I had high hopes for our young ones after the US Open. So far 2006 has been pretty disappointing for all of them. Well, hopefully they will turn things around soon...

binkygirl
03-03-2006, 01:13 PM
I don't think Taylor has enough of a desire to be a champion. He'd rather just kick back and eat what he likes. James isn't willing to get better coaching or to mentral coaching, so I don't expect anything there. His semi vs Agassi last year was likely his best shot at winning a GS (he'd had a 4-1 lead on Federer early last summer and probably could have had a shot in the finals against him). Robby isn't consistent enough and sometimes is given fits of pique on court that cost him matches. The future doesn't like bright for American tennis, in fact, things are rather desperate. Look at all wild cards heaped on Donald Young. That was ridiculous, he's not developed enough.

The US development program was much better in years past. I remember they assisted Sampras, Mal Washington, Todd Martin, Jay Berger, etc. It appears to have fallen apart.

Dirk
03-03-2006, 01:50 PM
I don't think Taylor has enough of a desire to be a champion. He'd rather just kick back and eat what he likes. James isn't willing to get better coaching or to mentral coaching, so I don't expect anything there. His semi vs Agassi last year was likely his best shot at winning a GS (he'd had a 4-1 lead on Federer early last summer and probably could have had a shot in the finals against him). Robby isn't consistent enough and sometimes is given fits of pique on court that cost him matches. The future doesn't like bright for American tennis, in fact, things are rather desperate. Look at all wild cards heaped on Donald Young. That was ridiculous, he's not developed enough.

The US development program was much better in years past. I remember they assisted Sampras, Mal Washington, Todd Martin, Jay Berger, etc. It appears to have fallen apart.

Or their players are not simply good enough. It doesn't help that we suck on red clay either.

TennisGrandSlam
03-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Ginepri is a joke

Roddick is a joke

Scoville Jenkins will never grow up

Mardy Fish is...well....nevermind

Andre Agassi is finished

TENNIS USA is looking pathetic. Any saviours out there????

Ginepri has potential, but lack of stability and confidence.

binkygirl
03-04-2006, 05:38 AM
When its on, Taylor's serve is a lethal weapon. I just wish that he cared enough to make the rest of his game catch up with his serving level. He'd be tough to beat then. To me, that is what is holding him back and I think it might be too late for him to step it up.

Experimentee
03-04-2006, 12:33 PM
When Blake is hot he can beat anyone, I could imagine if he puts together a great run like he did at last years US Open he could win it. Other than that, I dont think its going to happen for any of the young Americans.

Fedex
03-04-2006, 12:36 PM
No. There's only one American that's a legitimate slam threat, and he's been struggling too.

Peoples
03-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Fishy is just there to entertain the others, to be a good buddy.

BTW you forgot Vinnie! Future top 10, just wait and see... ;)

TennisGrandSlam
03-04-2006, 02:52 PM
No. There's only one American that's a legitimate slam threat, and he's been struggling too.

Within 1989 (RG : Chang) - 2003 (UO :Roddick)

American men have at least 1 Grand Slam singles title in each year!

Jordanjames
03-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Taylor Dent is such a talented player but he is also a player that clearly does not want to give 110% this is what I notice about Taylor. He whines and complains when tennis commentators say he should lose the weight..and then he gets mad when they say he doesn't have the desire to be a winner. I just feel like though if he would get serious about tennis, drop the weight, he could be a contender at Wimbledon.

Gonzo Hates Me!
03-04-2006, 09:14 PM
No, they will not win another. Who says we have to? It's okay if we don't. I would like to see someone pose the question will another Russian man win a major? I feel like America is put this stupid pressure (a lot of it pressure it puts on itself!) to be the best or something. It's just stupid