Heat Stress On The ATP Tour (Retirements) ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Heat Stress On The ATP Tour (Retirements) ?

joeb_uk
02-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Hey guys :wavey:

Its my second semester of uni now! I am considering many topics to complete for an essay. At the top of my list is heat stress, in relation to tennis. There are many journals of course on this topic, but very few will list players who have suffered from heat stress, so I need some examples.

I am looking for players that have retired due to heat stress, and the name of the tournament/location they retired from. Please could you list some for me?

It would be too many to list, for players who have had heat stress and carried on. So I am looking for the severe cases of heat stress :yeah:

Thanks!

shotgun
02-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Stefano Pescosolido from Italy, retired against Jaime Oncins from Brazil in a Davis Cup World Group Quarterfinal match played at Maceio, Brazil, on 2-Apr-1992.

joeb_uk
02-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Stefano Pescosolido from Italy, retired against Jaime Oncins from Brazil in a Davis Cup World Group Quarterfinal match played at Maceio, Brazil, on 2-Apr-1992.
Thanks! Exactly the info I was looking for! PS If anyone has a good enough memory, please could they list the approximate tempreature. Although, I doubt its possible to remember :eek:

SwissMister1
02-28-2006, 05:30 PM
At 2004 in Sydney, Verkerk retired after the first set down 2-6 to Hewitt, I think I remember him saying he was dizzy and had diarrhea (haha, I don't know why he would admit to that) caused by the heat sickness.

Lee
02-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Why only ATP?

The latest one on women's tennis I can remember is Michaella Krajicek vs Momo in 3rd round Australia Open this year.

SwissMister1
02-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Also Davydenko at the Aussie Open against Roddick last year. He tried wearing an ice vest on the changeover to cool down but still wound up retiring before the end.

Also Dent retiring in the Indianapolis final against Ginepri last year may have been due to heat or just being tired, either way he was barely moving even after the first set and I know it was a hot day.

joeb_uk
02-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Why only ATP?

The latest one on women's tennis I can remember is Michaella Krajicek vs Momo in 3rd round Australia Open this year.
Well I was gonna post wta, but I wasnt sure if they would say wrong forum etc! But I did want some wta examples too, so go ahead :P

shotgun
02-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Just remembered another one. Martin Vassallo Arguello against Ricardo Mello in Costa do Sauipe last year.

Funny how most cases of heat stress have appeared either in Australia or in Brazil. :lol:

joeb_uk
02-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Also Davydenko at the Aussie Open against Roddick last year. He tried wearing an ice vest on the changeover to cool down but still wound up retiring before the end.
Superb info! Also leads me to thinking about precooling, and methods of overcoming heat stress as an appendicy! Cheers mate ;) :yeah:

SwissMister1
02-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Superb info! Also leads me to thinking about precooling, and methods of overcoming heat stress as an appendicy! Cheers mate ;) :yeah:

Cool, definitely something you can talk about.

Shotgun Blues - that's true, maybe it is players coming from cold climates and not having time to get their body used to the heat?

Lee
02-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Well I was gonna post wta, but I wasnt sure if they would say wrong forum etc! But I did want some wta examples too, so go ahead :P

No retirement but Hingis vs Capriati in AO 2002. Hingis was definitely affected by the heat and losing the final.

Lee
02-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Just remembered another one. Martin Vassallo Arguello against Ricardo Mello in Costa do Sauipe last year.

Funny how most cases of heat stress have appeared either in Australia or in Brazil. :lol:

It's the timing of the tournaments and also, the humidity in both sites is high.

NicoFan
02-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Yeah definitely Brasil - there were a lot in 2004. Can't remember who exactly but there were 3-4 retirements that year early in the tournament.

Lee
02-28-2006, 06:02 PM

There's a rule that if the temp. exceeds certain degrees, the players need 10 minutes or more break after 2 sets of tennis inside.

And of course, the ice vest. ;)

joeb_uk
02-28-2006, 06:04 PM
There's a rule that if the temp. exceeds certain degrees, the players need 10 minutes or more break after 2 sets of tennis inside.

And of course, the ice vest. ;)
There is no heat rule of course on the atp tour, but does anyone know the rule for the wta tour? What tempreature, and what happens when it exceeds that?

*Ljubica*
02-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Novak Djokovic retired at 1 set all against Coria at last year's French Open second round, complaining of the heat and the fact that he couldn't breathe properly. Not sure whether it could strictly be called "heat stress" as Novak is prone to asthma-type attacks and breathing problems anyway, but it was very hot that day (I believe it was the hottest day in Paris history), I was at the match and he definitely was finding the heat difficult to cope with.The temperature was in the 30's that day, so on court temperature would have been much higher.

Lee
02-28-2006, 06:09 PM
There is no heat rule of course on the atp tour, but does anyone know the rule for the wta tour? What tempreature, and what happens when it exceeds that?

Is that rule only apply to Australia Open?

Another example from this year Australia Open is Andreev vs Hrbaty. It's so hot that day the main show courts closed the roofs and no matches started on outside court but that match went to 5th set and Andreev was totally exhausted and lost the last 4 games of the match.

*Viva Chile*
02-28-2006, 06:11 PM
:topic: joeb_uk, you're in your 6666 post :eek: :scared: :devil:

joeb_uk
02-28-2006, 06:15 PM
Novak Djokovic retired at 1 set all against Coria at last year's French Open second round, complaining of the heat and the fact that he couldn't breathe properly. Not sure whether it could strictly be called "heat stress" as Novak is prone to asthma-type attacks and breathing problems anyway, but it was very hot that day (I believe it was the hottest day in Paris history), I was at the match and he definitely was finding the heat difficult to cope with.The temperature was in the 30's that day, so on court temperature would have been much higher.
:yeah: I remember lars graff talking about that match at queens with one of the umpires :devil: Couldnt quite remember the details though, thanks for clarifying.

joeb_uk
02-28-2006, 06:15 PM
:topic: joeb_uk, you're in your 6666 post :eek: :scared: :devil:
;) :lol:

joeb_uk
02-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Is that rule only apply to Australia Open?

Another example from this year Australia Open is Andreev vs Hrbaty. It's so hot that day the main show courts closed the roofs and no matches started on outside court but that match went to 5th set and Andreev was totally exhausted and lost the last 4 games of the match.
Hmmm maybe, I heard the commentators on euro saying that there is a heat rule in the womens game. I suppose they are excluding grandslams, maybe its just the regular atp tour which doesnt allow heat rule? I wonder if its only AO, which allows the heat rule out of the four slams.

Lee
02-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Hmmm maybe, I heard the commentators on euro saying that there is a heat rule in the womens game. I suppose they are excluding grandslams, maybe its just the regular atp tour which doesnt allow heat rule? I wonder if its only AO, which allows the heat rule out of the four slams.

I think we need to ask smucav about the rules ;)

joeb_uk
02-28-2006, 07:03 PM
I think we need to ask smucav about the rules ;)
Indeed, smucav is the tennis rule dictionary! She can even quote word for word :yeah:

stuey87
02-28-2006, 07:35 PM
The first name that came into my head was Hanescu. I can't remember when or who against but I think he retired from the heat some time last season/recently. I could well be wrong, but someone else might remember it. His '05 retirements were against Montanes at the US Open and Djokovic in Paris (Indoors), so if I'm not imagining it it might've been the US Open. :shrug: