The "We are all attempting to learn Serbian" practice thread [Archive] - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

The "We are all attempting to learn Serbian" practice thread

Pages : 1 [2]

marina988
03-27-2007, 01:27 PM
oh, I just heard the interview.
Great Serbian!
Chestitam!

_sanja_
03-27-2007, 06:47 PM
hey!

SLICK, I still have problems with logging in..:confused:

I tried with 2 different emails but its always the same- I go there and when i log in it seems like everything is fine but there is still that red sign-you must be logged...so its like I logged in but I`m still not logged :confused:

uglyamerican
04-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Here's an article on the PM situation:

http://www.mrt.com.mk/en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2650&Itemid=28

Anyone who has more information can post here.

adynadal
04-18-2007, 07:40 PM
hi,Serbian brothers and sisters!i have 4 questions to you:rolleyes:
1.what means "Kad zamirisu jorgovani"?
2.how do you say drunk(drunken) in Serbian?
3.do the Montenegrians have their own national hymn already or do they still use the old one of Serbia and Montenegro?
and 4.would it be possible to post the lyrics of your national hymn plus a translation if possible?
thx a lot in advance! :worship:

_sanja_
04-18-2007, 09:09 PM
1.) kad zamirišu jorgovani = when lilacs start to smell (good)
(or something like that :D )

2.) drunk = "pijan" or "opit"

3.) I have no idea :p

4.) SERBIAN LYRICS

Boze pravde, ti sto spase
od propasti do sadnas,
cuj i od sadnase glase,
i odsad nam budi spas.
Mocnom rukom vodi, brani
buducnosti srpske brod,
Boze spasi, Boze hrani
nasu zemlju i nas rod.

Slozi srpsku bracu dragu
na svak' dican slavan rad,
sloga bice poraz vragu,
a najjaci srpstvu grad.
Nek' na srpstvu blista grana
bratske sloge zlatan rod,
Boze spasi, boze hrani
moli ti se sav nas rod.

Nek na srpsko vedro celo
tvog ne padne gneva grom,
blagoslovi Srbu selo
polje, njivu, grad i dom!
Kad nastupe borbe dani,
k' pobedi mu vodi hod.
Boze spasi, Boze hrani
Srpskog Kralja, srpski rod!

Iz mracnoga sinu groba
srpske krune novi sjaj,
nastalo je novo doba,
novu srecu Boze daj.
Kraljevinu srpsku brani,
pet vekovne borbe plod.
Boze spasi, Boze hrani,
moli ti se srpski rod!

---
ENGLISH TRANSLATION

God of Justice; Thou who saved us
when in deepest bondage cast,
Hear Thy Serbian children’s voices,
Be our help as in the past.
With Thy mighty hand sustain us,
Still our rugged pathway trace;
God, our hope; protect and cherish
Serbian crown and Serbian race!

Bind in closest links our kindred
Teach the love that will not fail,
May the loathed fiend of discord
Never in our ranks prevail.
Let the golden fruits of union
Our young tree of freedom grace;
God, our Master! guide and prosper
Serbian crown and Serbian race.

Lord! Avert from us Thy vengeance,
Thunder of Thy dreaded ire;
Bless each Serbian town and hamlet,
Mountain, meadow, heart and spire.
When our host goes forth to battle
Death or victory to embrace-
God of armies! be our leader
Strengthen then the Serbian race.

On our sepulchre of ages
Breaks the resurrection morn,
From the slough of direst slavery
Serbia anew is born.
Through five hundred years of durance
We have knelt before Thy face,
All our kin, O God! deliver,
Thus entreats the Serbian race.

NikolaBGD
04-18-2007, 10:04 PM
3) yes, Montenegians have their own hymn "Oj Svijetla Majska Zoro"(Bright dawn of May)...it's an old hymn, they had independent state 1878-1914, then joined Yugoslavia after WW1...
First Serbian state called Zeta(10. century), was on the area of nowdays Montenegro...as you can see, that's all mixed, it's common to say "Serbia and Montenegro is two eyes in one head"...But politics makes wonder, they said something like "we are brothers but we need to live in separate houses"...
They are good in team sports-football, waterpolo, basketball... but dont have any tennis player...

NikolaBGD
04-18-2007, 10:17 PM
btw Nole's grandfather is Montenegrian from Niksic(small city in Montenegro), first time when I heard his surname I knew that he is from there, serbian variation of this surname will be Djokic instead of Djokovic...
His mother is from Vinkovci(Croatia) and Nole is on half way;) but he was born in Belgrade and in his head he is Serbian...

adynadal
04-19-2007, 07:59 PM
thank you so,so,so,soooooooooo much for the answers!you are so nice:worship: !the hymn of Serbia has beautiful lyrics i should say and it shows your great belief in God,something that looks so distant to the young people here in Bulgaria(including me:sad: )...about Nole being half-Montenegrian and half-Croatin i think it`s absolutely normal because at the time he was "made" if i can say that,all serbians,montenegrians and croations were one nation and used to be brothers...but he is born in Belgrade and as much as i know he is extremely proud of being Serbian and that`s the main thing!;)

adynadal
05-02-2007, 03:10 PM
hi again,Serbian brothers(and sisters of course)!i have another stupid question...
what means "Ruka za Spas"?
it`s a song of Sasa Kovacevic:p which i i like really a lot but i have no idea what the title means...:rolleyes:

ezekiel
05-02-2007, 04:27 PM
"Ruka za Spas" -> Saving hand

ezekiel
05-02-2007, 04:39 PM
[B][COLOR="Red"]hi,Serbian brothers and sisters!i have 4 questions to you:rolleyes:
[QUOTE=adynadal;5212883][B][COLOR="Red"]1.what means "Kad zamirisu jorgovani"?

"jorgovan" is a plant flower, google it. So basically it's about smelling "jorgovan"

[B][COLOR="Red"]2.how do you say drunk(drunken) in Serbian?

"pijan"
[B][COLOR="Red"]3.do the Montenegrians have their own national hymn already or do they still use the old one of Serbia and Montenegro?

MN has a hymn but it's too controversial since it has some additions from a nazi puppet from ww2.

adynadal
05-02-2007, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=adynadal;5212883][COLOR="Red"]hi,Serbian brothers and sisters!i have 4 questions to you:rolleyes:

"jorgovan" is a plant flower, google it. So basically it's about smelling "jorgovan"

"pijan"

MN has a hymn but it's too controversial since it has some additions from a [B]nazi puppet from ww2.

what did you mean with that/i didn`t get a word...:scratch:

thx a lot,especially for the translation of "Ruka za Spas",thx for the other answers,too but some other users in the forums had already answered to my questions.but it`s still extremely kind of you!:hug:

ezekiel
05-05-2007, 02:36 AM
[QUOTE=ezekiel;5280316]

what did you mean with that/i didn`t get a word...:scratch:

thx a lot,especially for the translation of "Ruka za Spas",thx for the other answers,too but some other users in the forums had already answered to my questions.but it`s still extremely kind of you!:hug:

I mean it's a controversial hymn since it has some words that were added by a nazi puppet from the second world war, I don't know how old you are so it's no big deal

adynadal
05-06-2007, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=adynadal;5281158]

I mean it's a controversial hymn since it has some words that were added by a nazi puppet from the second world war, I don't know how old you are so it's no big deal

i`m just 16 but thanks to my father i know pretty much about the 2nd World War and the nazzism.some years ago it was the same with the national hymn of Bulgaria but it got changed so i find it normal and i`m sure that soon Montenegro will have a suitable hymn for the situation in the country these days!Thx a lot once more for the info!:worship:

Milena S.
05-07-2007, 07:45 PM
so, shall we start teaching you or you will just talk in english? :D

Milena S.
05-07-2007, 07:48 PM
i forgot to say 1 post 5e :D
joke

_sanja_
05-07-2007, 08:17 PM
haha...znas sta, mogli bi otvorit jedan thread na srpskom (slicno kao ima rafa)...sta kazete ljudi???

adynadal
05-07-2007, 08:22 PM
haha...znas sta, mogli bi otvorit jedan thread na srpskom (slicno kao ima rafa)...sta kazete ljudi???

some time ago we opened a Bulgarian thread but we had to change it to a Balkanian one coz Serbs and Croats were posting more often than we did!so would you accept a Bulgaria girl who is really attempting to learn Serbian in the new thread?:angel: :p

_sanja_
05-07-2007, 08:27 PM
yeah ofcourse you`re welcome! I see u understand a lot:) but who will open the thread? i dont know how to do that...

and btw where is this "balkanian" thread?;)

kirkicica
05-07-2007, 10:38 PM

Well, I think I could use that kind of a thread, since my crappy english doesn't allow me to write what I would like to. :sad:
Maybe some nice person could help me with translating in that thread.

savesthedizzle
05-08-2007, 03:15 AM
What is this new thread you guys are talking about opening? :scratch:

adynadal
05-08-2007, 02:17 PM
yeah ofcourse you`re welcome! I see u understand a lot:) but who will open the thread? i dont know how to do that...

and btw where is this "balkanian" thread?;)

it was a Bulgarian chat at the beginning,then it became a Balkanian one but now it`s a
Balkan-South American and Portugal chat thread (Originally known as Bulgarian):eek: !what can i say...niether the Bulgarians nor the Bulgarians,Serbs and Croats together were active enough so obviously there was a need for a change in the name again:haha: :haha: :haha: ...anyway...if you are still interested in the tread here you go;) :
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=90233&page=51:wavey:

Milena S.
05-08-2007, 05:24 PM
we r talking about thread wher we would talk just in Serbian
the thread is opened :D
if u want u can write, if not moderators can delete it

adynadal
05-10-2007, 03:37 PM
we r talking about thread wher we would talk just in Serbian
the thread is opened :D
if u want u can write, if not moderators can delete it

it appears that i`m the only one attempting to learn Serbian with noone else posting in this thread:sad: ....anyway!i would love to know where does the name of Beograde come from?in Bulgaria we have a little town called Beogradchik whose name comes from the white fortress that used to be on the highest hill of the town some centuries ago.maybe thare is something in common with Beograde!;)

P.S.i have travelled pretty much around the world(actually around Europe;) )and i should say that the only place i felt like if i were at home was Beograde!i love the city!it has it`s own spirit!i felt how Beograde lives his own life!no idea how to explain it,maybe only foreigners who have visitted the city will understand what i mean coz you,the Serbians who live there,love your city,no doubt about it,but you are used to it and can`t feel it the way i felt it the 1st(and untill now the last)time i visitted belgrade!!!i have promised myseld that in the next few years i`ll visit it again!:p

Anne-Claire
05-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Hey :wavey:

I have a quick question to ask to all the serbs or people that know Belgrade, I'm planning on visiting the city in September and I wanted to know first if people in Serbia speak some english? and also the names of monuments, restaurants, night clubs, bars ... etc... that I really need to go to?

Thx in Advance :)

uglyamerican
05-10-2007, 06:03 PM
it appears that i`m the only one attempting to learn Serbian with noone else posting in this thread:sad: ....anyway!i would love to know where does the name of Beograde come from?in Bulgaria we have a little town called Beogradchik whose name comes from the white fortress that used to be on the highest hill of the town some centuries ago.maybe thare is something in common with Beograde!;)

I would also like to know why it is called the 'White City.' :confused:

I found a website that says, "probably because of the walls made of white limestone."

adynadal
05-10-2007, 06:07 PM

I have a quick question to ask to all the serbs or people that know Belgrade, I'm planning on visiting the city in September and I wanted to know first if people in Serbia speak some english? and also the names of monuments, restaurants, night clubs, bars ... etc... that I really need to go to?

there is pretty much to see BUT A MUST IS DEFFINATELY TO VISIT A RESTAURANT AND TASTE TRADITIONAL SERBIAN FOOD AND WHEN IT COMES TO THE DRINKS-I SUPPOSE THAT EVEN A SINGLE GLASS OF RAKIA WILL BE TOO MUCH FOR YOU:haha: :haha: :haha: !Serbian people are very warm,friendly and open-minded!you`ll make a lot of new friends and you are gonna meet a lot of good-looking sexy Serbian boys:drool: :drool: :drool: !but still the thing i find most attractive,remarkable and no-way-to-be-missed is the food-believe me,the Serbs are Gods in cooking!!!:worship: :worship: :worship:

P.S.honestly i`m a little jelaous to you but in a good way...:awww:

Anne-Claire
05-10-2007, 06:32 PM
WHEN IT COMES TO THE DRINKS-I SUPPOSE THAT EVEN A SINGLE GLASS OF RAKIA WILL BE TOO MUCH FOR YOU:haha: :haha: :haha: !

and yes... I've already heard of rakija :p

Magenta
05-11-2007, 12:06 AM

Septemeber is a nice time to visit, not too cold and not too hot!
In Belgrade you'll find most people know at least some english and some really well too.
The names of monuments you should visit, kalemegdan (which is a park and fortress built in medieval times during the turks), Sveti Sava church (you wont miss it its huge!), Skadarlija (vintage, cobblestone street with live music and restaurants) there are plenty of museums and things like that you can visit, you may just have to ask, I don't know the names. I would also recommend Zemun which is a part of the city previously under Hungarian control. You may need a local there because there are great little known, restuarants and hang out places which play live music.

As for restaurants, bars, clubs there are plenty around the center but you really must go to the 'splavovi' which are the restaurants and clubs on the river...
Foodwise its really cheap for foreigners and an awesome kitchen as mentioned.
For breakfast bakeries are the best, for lunch and dinner you may be able to afford to eat out at a nice restaurant every day. Don't go past a pljeskavica or cevap, although you may find it hard if you're vegetarian :p

The theatre is always good too, Terazije Pozoriste is really nice and I would recommend watching a musical, because even though you may not be able to understand there is something to see.

It would be good if you had a local to show you around but in any event just ask around and I'm sure you'll find many people willing to help.

All the best, have fun!!!

kirkicica
05-11-2007, 02:54 AM
The above post sums it almost all up.

I thought I should add some more. First: how long are you planning to stay? if it's a short stay than we should list a bunch of stuff.

but anyway. besides things already mentioned (Kalemegdan (Zoo included)and restaurants is a must) I would like to add Ada Ciganlija - it's a lake in the town, full of bars, sports, a great place for a walk and spend a lazy day)

For bars and night clubs - you should really ask some local when you get here. It all depends on your age, prefered music etc. But the best bars are always hidden, and not easy to find. Splavovi is a great suggestion. There is a bunch of them on the river banks.

For museums :help: because of the wars etc, they are in horrible condition, the only two worth a visit is a Belgrade history museum (but it's in a moving process so I'm not sure if it will be open) and serbian folklore museum. A nice place to see traditional clothes and way of life.

Take a walk down the Knez Mihajova street (the main street in belgrade) and find a nice coffee bar there. a great way to feel the spirit of this town.

Food - all is said. a bunch of great restaurants (national) for some specific international cuisine - well in simple terms not worth wasting money in them. (some excluded of course)

If I think of something else I'll add.

p.s. There should be no problem with english. Don't expect some well worded debate with a random passer-by, but for useful info, answering questions etc you won't have any problems.

p.p.s. In belgrade touristic org, you can arrange a visit to old royal palaces. It should be a nice visit. also there you could find some decent organised tours with guides for kalemegdan.

anyhow. Welcome!!! hope you have a pleasant stay. If you're interested in anything else, just ask.

Anne-Claire
05-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Septemeber is a nice time to visit, not too cold and not too hot!
In Belgrade you'll find most people know at least some english and some really well too.
The names of monuments you should visit, kalemegdan (which is a park and fortress built in medieval times during the turks), Sveti Sava church (you wont miss it its huge!), Skadarlija (vintage, cobblestone street with live music and restaurants) there are plenty of museums and things like that you can visit, you may just have to ask, I don't know the names. I would also recommend Zemun which is a part of the city previously under Hungarian control. You may need a local there because there are great little known, restuarants and hang out places which play live music.

As for restaurants, bars, clubs there are plenty around the center but you really must go to the 'splavovi' which are the restaurants and clubs on the river...
Foodwise its really cheap for foreigners and an awesome kitchen as mentioned.
For breakfast bakeries are the best, for lunch and dinner you may be able to afford to eat out at a nice restaurant every day. Don't go past a pljeskavica or cevap, although you may find it hard if you're vegetarian :p

The theatre is always good too, Terazije Pozoriste is really nice and I would recommend watching a musical, because even though you may not be able to understand there is something to see.

It would be good if you had a local to show you around but in any event just ask around and I'm sure you'll find many people willing to help.

All the best, have fun!!!

Thanks a billion for all these usefull information, Kirkicica and Ema :kiss:!!
I will be staying only for a couple of days, 3 or 4 days and It will be for the davis cup tie vs aussie... so I won't have too much time to visit that's why I wanted to know the MUST-see to go to the essential :) and actually, I'm a bit relief that people speak some english.. as I can't go very far with my 3 words of serbian :lol:

Anyway, thx again :)

Grofica
05-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Well if you are staying only during davis cup you are really limited with time, well at least during day light :)
Knez Mihajlova must, Nikola Pasic square, parliament,all very close walking distance, Ada Ciganlija lake,during day light bathing during night walking drinking coffe and clubing, splavovi( already explained what it's)
As far as for clubs we are going out between 11 o'clock and midnight and staying up until morning:)
Usually people speak english enough for what you need :)
I was in Paris week ago and I like it very much hope you will like Belgrade :)

Grofica
05-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Oh I forgot to mention to enter into clubs or in splavovi you need reservation so the best is to ask some local to do reservation for you :)

Anne-Claire
05-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Oh I forgot to mention to enter into clubs or in splavovi you need reservation so the best is to ask some local to do reservation for you :)

Glad you like Paris... my fav cities are Paris, New York and Roma so far... Hope Belgrade will be added to my list in september:)

It sounds weird to book to go to clubs... but thanks for the tip ;)

Washa Koroleva
05-21-2007, 01:59 AM
I'm quite proud of being able to somewhat understand Serbian. However, never actually spoke it and can't even think about what 'Hello' and other simple things might be. Whenever someone else says it, I'm able to identify it, though. :scratch: Weird, huh?
It's like that with me and Croatian, Bulgarian and Polish as well. :lol:

What's Hello, Goodbye, How are you, Good night, I'm fine, My name is...
in Serbian then? :p

kirkicica
05-21-2007, 02:37 AM
What's Hello, Goodbye, How are you, Good night, I'm fine, My name is...
in Serbian then? :p

same here with me and Russian, Bulgarian, etc.

anyway: Hello - ćao (same like Italian ciao) will do, same goes for goodbye. We also use zdravo, also for both - hello and goodbye. These are informal ones.

how are you - kako si? (informal); kako ste? (formal and plural)

good night - laku noć.

I'm fine - dobro sam

My name is - zovem se _______, but we prefer 'Ja sam _______' which means I am.

If you are interested in anything else, just ask.

Washa Koroleva
05-21-2007, 02:42 AM
Wow, seriously! :lol: If someone just said it, I'd totally know what it means. I'd just love to pick up on those lines and not end up using Croatian among Serbs by accident (as it happened before :o)
How do you say: I love you, I like you, I hate you?

Thank you so much btw. Where do you live?

kirkicica
05-21-2007, 02:46 AM
wow!! you really are talented. How on Earth could anyone detect if you said something in Serbian or Croatian if you aren't a native speaker? The difference is soo minimal.

let's see:
I love you - volim te
I like you - dopadaš mi se, or sviđaš mi se
I hate you - mrzim te

of course, this goes only for singular.

I'm from Belgrade btw.

Washa Koroleva
05-21-2007, 03:03 AM
:lol:

Not really. I've lived in Croatia for 8 months when I was about 4/5 years old. In Germany we then had a really close friend of the family visiting us almost every day, she's Serbian. As my mother speaks all those languages properly for some reason, they only spoke Serbian in our house. So I kinda picked up on that. The lady even spoke in Serbian to me. :lol:

So what would I, You, He, She, It, We, You, They be?
You don't need to reply :lol: I suppose it's 4/5am over there!
I'm already thankful that you take your time to teach me Serbian :hug:

kirkicica
05-21-2007, 03:15 AM
well, it's not like I got out of bed just to answer your questions. lol. it is 4 AM but I'm always up at night.

and now to answer.
I - ja
You - ti
He/She/neutral gender/ - on/ona/ono
We - mi
You - vi
They - oni (masculine)/ one (feminine)/ona (neutral)

where are you from? or even better what languages do you speak?

and for Croatian and Serbian - it really is almost the same language. linguistically it's the same, but politically it isn't.

Washa Koroleva
05-21-2007, 03:26 AM
Thank you :kiss:

I speak Russian, German, English and school bits of French (pretty bad though). As for understanding languages, there would be few more but I only speak 3 fluently. :awww:
What about you?

kirkicica
05-21-2007, 03:31 AM
If you speak Russian, then I, you, he.. etc. is very easy to memorize.

and for me, like everyone from ex-Yu I have an amazing ability to learn new languages overnight. I started with Serbo-croat, and rapidly advanced to Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and soon Montenegrin.

But on a serious note: a bit of English, sorta Spanish, and some horrible school-learned Russian. ;)

Washa Koroleva
05-21-2007, 03:39 AM
If you speak Russian, then I, you, he.. etc. is very easy to memorize.

and for me, like everyone from ex-Yu I have an amazing ability to learn new languages overnight. I started with Serbo-croat, and rapidly advanced to Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and soon Montenegrin.

But on a serious note: a bit of English, sorta Spanish, and some horrible school-learned Russian. ;)

Wow, that's impressive! How old are you?

kirkicica
05-21-2007, 03:41 AM
26. But what is soo impressive with 3 not-fluent languages? :confused:

I wanna know a bunch of them. Just kinda obsessed with languages I guess.

Washa Koroleva
05-21-2007, 03:54 AM

Best to keep on getting better with what you started than starting different ones and not knowing them fluently, I believe.
It's still impressive when you add them up and I think it's pretty cool to know Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin well as you're aware of all the differences and are able to compare them all.

kirkicica
05-21-2007, 03:59 AM
But it Is the same language! (some more nationalistic people might disagree with me), not that I actually LEARNED them.

I go to bed (not literally of course)only knowing Serbo-Croat and wake up just to find out that now it's two languages. it's funny.

anyhow, if you have any other questions, I'll answer tomorrow, kinda late (or early), bedtime :wavey:

adynadal
05-21-2007, 09:56 AM

So am I but i guess that at the age of 16 already it`s gonna be pretty hard for me to learn any foreign language fluently but i still want to try(you can ask my school teacher in German about this,i`m realy trying my best with this language:p )!

adynadal
05-21-2007, 10:04 AM
),But it Is the same language! (some more nationalistic people might disagree with me)not that I actually LEARNED them.

I go to bed (not literally of course)only knowing Serbo-Croat and wake up just to find out that now it's two languages. it's funny.

anyhow, if you have any other questions, I'll answer tomorrow, kinda late (or early), bedtime :wavey:

sorry if i hurt someone`s feelings but i also think so!Serbian,Croatian,Bosnian,Montenegrin,Slovenian, Albanian(not sure if the last 2 actually exist as separeted languages),Macedonian and Bulgarian have soooooooooo much in common that sometimes it`s really dull to say that you are trying to learn the others coz in a way you already know them!
but as some of the Serbians here know i`m trying to learn something that i don`t know yet in Serbian coz i really like the country,the nation and the boys:rolleyes: there so i`d love to be able to talk to every Serbian i meet without being worried that i won`t be understood or i won`t understand something the right way;) !
and it`s always fun to ask about something and the answer to show you for a thousand time how close and similair the 2 languages are how it is between Bulgarian and Serbian:p !

Grofica
05-21-2007, 11:42 AM
sorry if i hurt someone`s feelings but i also think so!Serbian,Croatian,Bosnian,Montenegrin,Slovenian, Albanian(not sure if the last 2 actually exist as separeted languages),Macedonian and Bulgarian have soooooooooo much in common that sometimes it`s really dull to say that you are trying to learn the others coz in a way you already know them!
but as some of the Serbians here know i`m trying to learn something that i don`t know yet in Serbian coz i really like the country,the nation and the boys:rolleyes: there so i`d love to be able to talk to every Serbian i meet without being worried that i won`t be understood or i won`t understand something the right way;) !
and it`s always fun to ask about something and the answer to show you for a thousand time how close and similair the 2 languages are how it is between Bulgarian and Serbian:p !

Serbian Croatian Macedonian Slovenian Bulgarian Bosnian as well as Russian Polish and all other languages from slavic countries are slavic languages and it is underestandable they are similar but Albanian it is not slavic languages and it has nothing common with other slavic languages, it doesn't belong to any of group of European languages(German group of languages, Romanian group and Slavic group) Albanian Hungarian and Greek languages are completly separeted languages which don't belonge to any of those three groups

adynadal
05-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Serbian Croatian Macedonian Slovenian Bulgarian Bosnian as well as Russian Polish and all other languages from slavic countries are slavic languages and it is underestandable they are similar but Albanian it is not slavic languages and it has nothing common with other slavic languages, it doesn't belong to any of group of European languages(German group of languages, Romanian group and Slavic group) Albanian Hungarian and Greek languages are completly separeted languages which don't belonge to any of those three groups

i totally forgot that!you are 100% right!:worship:
i just started counting the countries without thinking enough about their languages!
sry to all Albanian people if we have any of you in here!:o

B.Bojan
06-20-2007, 12:54 AM
Hungarian is a Finno-Ugric group of languages..

Serbian, Croatian and Bosnian are bacicly the same language.. with differences like in British English and American English..

uglyamerican
06-28-2007, 02:16 PM
All Serbs,

What are you doing today? What kind of things go on on St. Vitus Day?

Jelena_78
06-28-2007, 03:32 PM
There was a great battle in 1389 between Serbs and Turks in Gazimestan (Kosovo&Metohija),so there was a service there today,archbishop... PM
So today there are films,documentaries,etc.on tv,reminding us of that holy Serbian land,where there are thousands of orthodox serbian monasteries and churches(that are testimony to Serbs existance, that Serbs are there for centuries),many of which are destroyed and set on fire in March'04 by Albanias.
Most Serbs would feel like their hearts and souls ripped out,if Kosovo gained independence...
which is unfortunatelly going to happen soon:sad:

uglyamerican
06-28-2007, 09:26 PM
So it's more of a commeration day like November 11th, than it is a national holiday-celebration (like Bastille day)? I understand.

kirkicica
06-28-2007, 09:31 PM
So it's more of a commeration day like November 11th, than it is a national holiday-celebration (like Bastille day)? I understand.
quite right.
Only after I saw your post I asked someone what day is today. :tape:
No celebration at all, a normal working day

janhernych44
07-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Hey, Is Amer Delic and Nole friends, being they are from the same region?

Farenhajt
07-03-2007, 10:54 PM
I don't know about "friends", but friendly they are, and moreover they share their native language, which is always a great bond.

janhernych44
07-08-2007, 01:41 AM
I have come to the conclusion that every language-besides english-(for me) is hard! and even more when its in cyrillic. There is no chance in hell that I could every speak that language, but I REALLY wish I could. Americans don't learn languages soon enough! Wish I don't understand seeing as we are freaking rich enough to go to war, but can't learn languages!!?!?! I don't get it!!!!

janhernych44
07-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Which*****

Layla13
07-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Hello everyone!!! Are you still learning Serbian?! I see there's a lot Serbs here, and it's great!!! I can help you with Serbian...I'm from belgrade...

...and I'm new here...
...and I really can't read previous posts, there's a huge number of them... :)

neenah
07-14-2007, 02:37 AM
Wow I just read through some pages of this thread for the first time. All of you that speak more than one language - I'm so jealous! :lol:

I'm still pretty young and I want to study languages eventually. The only language I speak fluently is English but I'm working on Spanish. My mom is fluent and helping me, and I've been to a handful of Spanish speaking countries and that helps me out.This year I'm starting German too. Eventually I want to learn Russian, and Serbian sounds pretty interesting too. :p

Layla13
07-14-2007, 03:09 AM
I know Russian, Spanish (not fluently, I don't know to write everything corect), English, and of courese Serbian!! Learn Serbian with us :)

AJDE :)

neenah
07-14-2007, 03:57 AM
I know Russian, Spanish (not fluently, I don't know to write everything corect), English, and of courese Serbian!! Learn Serbian with us :)

AJDE :)

Lucky!! Russian and Spanish! Lucky. :) The two languages I want to learn most. And Serbian actually caught my interest. I like it. I would love to learn it someday. I'll get my mini-intro from this thread. :p

Layla13
07-14-2007, 04:10 AM
WOW! I'm so glad to hear this!! Serbian is very hard to learn, we have 30 letters, and 30 sounds for each of them, also grammar is difficult..but it is beautiful language, don't give up of learning it :)

neenah
07-14-2007, 04:50 AM
WOW! I'm so glad to hear this!! Serbian is very hard to learn, we have 30 letters, and 30 sounds for each of them, also grammar is difficult..but it is beautiful language, don't give up of learning it :)

Wow. I won't, once I officially start. :)

Layla13
07-14-2007, 05:24 AM
Volim srpski jezik! = I love serbian language!

Nice start, no, hehe :)

neenah
07-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Volim srpski jezik! = I love serbian language!

Nice start, no, hehe :)

Haha, thanks. :) I've been doing some research about the language - pronunciation and simple phrases.

uglyamerican
07-21-2007, 09:51 PM
I read that it is super hot in Belgrade. I hope you guys are staying cool.

new now
07-22-2007, 02:55 AM
Hardly

MilanDokic
07-22-2007, 09:19 AM

Yes, it is sooooooo hot in Belgrade!

Last sevent days - 40 degrees! Like in Dubai!

Weather forecast for Belgrade:

http://www.hidmet.sr.gov.yu/ciril/prognoza/stanica.php?mp_id=13274

Layla13
07-22-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm gonna die here...aaaaaaaaaaaa:mad:
I need cold beer :)

MilanDokic
07-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Ok guys, the sale of Davis Cup tickets (SRB vs. AUS in Belgrade's Arena, 21st - 23rd September) still hasn't started, but it will in next three days!

But, prepare your pockets, the prices are known:

Level 400 - Balcony

Friday: 400 dinars (5 euros)
Saturday: 200 dinars (2.5 euros)
Sunday: 400 dinars (5 euros)

Full pack (all three days): 800 dinars (10 euros)

Level 200 - North, South, Concrete seats, Telescopes excluding upholster seats

Friday: 1000 dinars (12.5 euros)
Saturday: 500 dinars (6.25 euros)
Sunday: 1000 dinars (12.5 euros)

Full pack (all three days): 2000 dinars (25 euros)

Level 200 - Upholster seats

Friday: 1200 dinars (15 euros)
Saturday: 600 dinars (7.5 euros)
Sunday: 1200 dinars (15 euros)

Full pack (all three days): 2500 dinars (31.25 euros)

Level 200 - East (Telescopes)

Friday: 2000 dinars (25 euros)
Saturday: 1000 dinars (12.5 euros)
Sunday: 2000 dinars (25 euros)

Full pack (all three days): 4000 dinars (50 euros)

Level 200 - West (VIP)

Friday: 4000 dinars (50 euros)
Saturday: 3000 dinars (37.5 euros)
Sunday: 4000 dinars (50 euros)

Full pack (all three days): 8000 dinars (100 euros)

PennyThePenguin
07-24-2007, 03:42 PM
I waaanaaa gooooo.... the tickets sound affordable, but the airticket there would bankrupt me I think

neenah
07-26-2007, 06:00 PM
On the topic of learning Serbian, out of curiosity, how did Nole learn English so well?

JustDoIt
07-29-2007, 07:57 PM
On the topic of learning Serbian, out of curiosity, how did Nole learn English so well?

Almost everybody in Serbia can speak English :lol:

JustDoIt
07-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Milane, are you going to Belgrade ( Fed Cup ) ?

Layla13
07-30-2007, 04:37 AM
Almost everybody in Serbia can speak English :lol:

Oh...yes we do.... :)

simpletennis
07-30-2007, 06:55 PM
oh wow, serbian looks hard!!! i must learn so i can converse w/nole. wait, he's like fluent in english. haha. maybe he'll remember me better if i can speak some serbian to him

JustDoIt
07-30-2007, 08:03 PM
oh wow, serbian looks hard!!! i must learn so i can converse w/nole. wait, he's like fluent in english. haha. maybe he'll remember me better if i can speak some serbian to him

Definitely :lol:

Tennis-Chick
07-31-2007, 12:29 AM
Serbian looks hard, but I like languages so I'm gonna try and learn some phrases :unsure: :lol:

Layla13
07-31-2007, 12:50 AM
That's the spirit!!!! :bounce:
Do you wanna know some "special" phrase?!

janhernych44
07-31-2007, 03:42 PM
I got to talk to nole last year in Cincy, when he stopped his coach, and made him look at the colage of pictures that I made....it was cool...

janhernych44
07-31-2007, 03:46 PM
I was wondering what language do Vajda and Nole speak, cause he's Slovak. Must be English?

Layla13
07-31-2007, 06:45 PM
Probably English...or Serbian...It wouldn't be strange if Vajda speaks Serbian.

tal222
07-31-2007, 10:39 PM
when i hear Nole speak all the words sound exactly the same to me... :o

Layla13
08-01-2007, 12:22 AM
It's not so strange if you don't know Serbian, a lot of people think the same. But, if you learn all letters (Serbian "azbuka"), you'll be able to read! So, step by step... :dance:

Tess Gray
08-01-2007, 08:15 PM
you know what, I know quite a few languages (eight to be exact) but NONE are even close to Serbian... So I'm gonna try and do my best :p (go me:angel: )

Layla13
08-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Eight?! WOW!!! If you need help with Srbian....It's hard, true, but if you did good with other 8, GO YOU!!! :bounce:

janhernych44
08-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Anyone who knows 8 languages is a genius

simpletennis
08-03-2007, 07:34 PM
you know what, I know quite a few languages (eight to be exact) but NONE are even close to Serbian... So I'm gonna try and do my best :p (go me:angel: )

WOW!! that's amazing. i know like...1 1/2, maybe not even 1/2. i count my french and chinese as 1/2. which 8?

JustDoIt
08-03-2007, 09:31 PM

Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian, Slovenian, Macedonian, Montenegro langauge ( :tape: ) English and Russian :angel:

Layla13
08-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian, Slovenian, Macedonian, Montenegro langauge ( :tape: ) English and Russian :angel:
Hahaha, me too, plus Spanish:cool:

Tess Gray
08-05-2007, 10:46 AM

hehe... not really. I only speak them, no grammar or anything. I speak dutch, english, french, german, spanish, swedish, norwegian and swiss german ( which in my opinion is a completely different language than german:p ) But all these languages are sort of the same. The words, verbs and everything is alike. So if you know one of these languages it's easy to learn the rest.

And swedish was named easiest language in the world, so hehe;)

JustDoIt
08-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Hahaha, me too, plus Spanish

:ras:

I am sure you cant speak Slovenian :lol: :ras:

Luthkovic
08-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian, Slovenian, Macedonian, Montenegro language ( :tape: ) English and Russian :angel:

than is much more, i mean, you can speak Russian in Belarus, Kazakhstan, Georgia, Ukraine and many more ;)

Learning languages it's easy; you just pick one group, like Romance languages, learn one language and than use it to learn others, 'couse they have the same basic.
In my case, I've learned French grammar, and it helped when i was learning Portuguese

and for most people in Serbia, it was very easy to learn Spanish, you just need a TV ;)

Layla13
08-09-2007, 03:05 AM
What would TV do for a Spanish grammer? Nothing!!

Tess Gray
08-18-2007, 09:47 PM
What would TV do for a Spanish grammer? Nothing!!

Agreed, :)

but we are talking about speaking a language, and you don't really need grammar for that do you?

Layla13
08-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Well...maybe...

Sleepwalker64
08-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Is there a english word for "inat" - something like fighting against all odds, in spite of all problems etc. I mean one word?

kirkicica
08-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Is there a english word for "inat" - something like fighting against all odds, in spite of all problems etc. I mean one word?
I tried to find that out myself. lol. Actually there is no word which would be perfect to describe what inat really is.
And, trust me, I really, really tried to find that word.

Sleepwalker64
08-24-2007, 03:23 PM
I tried to find that out myself. lol. Actually there is no word which would be perfect to describe what inat really is.

I know what u mean:)
Anyway...With all the lights and hype that is coming Novak's way nowadays , I'm kind a scared for his performance...If we are underdogs, I like our chances...because of "inat":)

kirkicica
08-24-2007, 03:29 PM
yes, I understand perfectly what you mean. ;)

Layla13
09-07-2007, 03:57 AM
eto..samo da "reknem" neshto na srpskom... NOLE MASJSTOR! :bounce:

JustDoIt
09-09-2007, 06:45 PM

Spite/Malice/Mischief :confused:

Tess Gray
09-09-2007, 08:24 PM
I've tried looking on the Internet, but he couldn't even recognize the word so... :shrug:

I thought it must mean something like despite?

Em0 boY
10-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Yes, "inat" is something like "despite"

Lossi
10-28-2007, 12:58 AM
:wavey:

So, this forum's glorious leader will be getting her very own, first non-handmade Serbian flag and 'Srbija' t-shirt tomorrow (if I remember to bring them :o )

What Serbian should she be taught on this momentous occasion? :p

PennyThePenguin
10-28-2007, 08:43 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

dunno...

Em0 boY
10-28-2007, 09:29 AM

So, this forum's glorious leader will be getting her very own, first non-handmade Serbian flag and 'Srbija' t-shirt tomorrow (if I remember to bring them :o )

Ajde napisi to i na srpskom, ako si vec odavde :wavey:

kirkicica
10-28-2007, 02:49 PM

ow, ow :rolls:

I have no idea what would be appropriate :o
But she has to learn something more than 'Ajmo'

Ajde napisi to i na srpskom, ako si vec odavde :wavey:

First I think I should welcome you on the forum :wavey: welcome and have fun :)
Dalje, nemoj molim te pogresno da shvatis ali ovde postoji tema na kojoj se pise na srpskom, na ostalim bi bilo uviđavno koristiti Engleski da be i ostali koji nisu 'odavde' mogli da razumeju.

p.s. i to sto neko pored svog imena ima srpsku zastavu ne znaci da je iz Srbije ;). Lossi jeste ali ne i svi. ;)

Em0 boY
10-28-2007, 07:23 PM
A kako to? Sto im je onda ta zastava? :D

Lossi
10-28-2007, 09:18 PM
A kako to? Sto im je onda ta zastava? :D

Zatosto uglavnom navijaju za srpske igrace ;)

neenah
10-29-2007, 03:10 AM
Any new Serbian words/phrases for us? :) :p

Em0 boY
10-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Can you read something on english, and i`ll read that on Serbian :D
For example:

World - Svet
Earth - Zemlja

neenah
10-29-2007, 11:51 AM
How about...what are the days of the week? Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
And how would you say "Today is _______"?
Thank you. :)

MaryX
10-29-2007, 03:41 PM
How about...what are the days of the week? Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
And how would you say "Today is _______"?
Thank you. :)

Here we go :) :

Monday- ponedeljak
Tuesday-utorak
Wednesday-sreda (it means something like middle day)
Thursday-cetvrtak (it means something like the fourth day)
Friday-petak (fifth day)
Saturday-subota
Sunday-nedelja

If someone has idea how to pronounce it, be nice and explain.

Today is___________.

-we say-

Danas je ___________.:)

Magenta
10-29-2007, 04:01 PM
I think we need a good round of Serbian swear words as preliminary introduction to the Serbian language.

Guaranteed to keep everyone interested particularly if we used literal translations! ;)

jitterbug
10-29-2007, 04:07 PM
How about "I want to have your babies?" :angel:

or "In Scotland, Marko is actually old enough to get married - with parental permission."

Would come in useful someday :devil:

Magenta
10-29-2007, 04:18 PM
(Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I translated literally :p )

I want to have your babies: Hocu da imam tvoje bebe.

In Scotland Marko is old enough to get married - with parental permission: U Skotskoj Marko je dovoljno star da se ozeni - sa dozvolom roditelja.

jitterbug
10-29-2007, 04:21 PM

In Scotland Marko is old enough to get married - with parental permission: U Skotskoj Marko je dovoljno star da se ozeni - sa dozvolom roditelja.

Hvala :worship: :lol:

neenah
10-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Here we go :) :

Monday- ponedeljak
Tuesday-utorak
Wednesday-sreda (it means something like middle day)
Thursday-cetvrtak (it means something like the fourth day)
Friday-petak (fifth day)
Saturday-subota
Sunday-nedelja

If someone has idea how to pronounce it, be nice and explain.

Today is___________.

-we say-

Danas je ___________.:)

Hvala. :)

neenah
10-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Also, how do you say "you're welcome"? And "and"? :)

Em0 boY
10-29-2007, 09:31 PM
You're welcome - Nema na čemu
And - I (we read that like E, eee)

neenah
10-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Hvala. :D

MaryX
10-29-2007, 10:55 PM
I think we need a good round of Serbian swear words as preliminary introduction to the Serbian language.

Guaranteed to keep everyone interested particularly if we used literal translations! ;)

Ok, I am in, but you go first;) :angel:

How about "I want to have your babies?" :angel:

or "In Scotland, Marko is actually old enough to get married - with parental permission."

Would come in useful someday :devil:

The same is in Serbia, but permission gives a court ;).Come here and we'll try :devil:

It's more in Serbian language spirit to say-Hocu da ti rodim decu!!!!!!!!:eek: But... Are you sure you wanna do it?!!! :eek:

Hvala. :)

;) You are welcome :)

Magenta
11-01-2007, 10:19 PM
It's more in Serbian language spirit to say-Hocu da ti rodim decu!!!!!!!!:eek: But... Are you sure you wanna do it?!!! :eek:

Yes I know, but I picked the literal translation :p

MaryX
11-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Ema, I am just kidding, translation was fine!I was just confused that Zahirah wanted to have kids, she is too young :):)...

fangirl
11-15-2007, 08:52 AM
This is by far the most useful language instruction I have ever received.

Hvala ;)

neenah
11-23-2007, 11:17 PM
serbianschool.com :worship: :worship: :worship:

Amazing website for anyone who's interested in Serbian! :D

savesthedizzle
11-24-2007, 04:06 AM
Back when I was actually dedicated to learning, I went through several lessons there... this was a few years back.. but it's definitely a great site :D

Sleepwalker64
11-25-2007, 10:08 AM
www.metak.com - very good dictionary

neenah
11-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Back when I was actually dedicated to learning, I went through several lessons there... this was a few years back.. but it's definitely a great site :D

I'm writing down everything I learn. :p It really is a great introduction to Serbian.

JustDoIt
11-28-2007, 02:58 PM
:awww: I am glad people actually bother to learn some words :awww:

savesthedizzle
02-07-2008, 03:08 AM
Can someone teach me how to nicely tell someone to shut up in Serbian? Like if they are talking too much at a tennis match and their name is Ilija Bozoljac? I think Aimee would like to know too.

I think anyone who has ever sat next to Ilija would like to know :rolls:

jeahhh!
02-07-2008, 03:21 AM
:rolls:

It would be greatly appreciated. :D

fangirl
02-07-2008, 10:52 AM
I would also like to know this for the purpose of using it against Farenhajt in GM :)

Lossi
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Can someone teach me how to nicely tell someone to shut up in Serbian? Like if they are talking too much at a tennis match and their name is Ilija Bozoljac? I think Aimee would like to know too.

I think anyone who has ever sat next to Ilija would like to know :rolls:

:rolls:

It would be greatly appreciated. :D

Da li možete malo tiše, molim vas? :p

Technically it's asking them to be more quiet, but I can't think of a polite way to tell someone to shut up ;)

I would also like to know this for the purpose of using it against Farenhajt in GM :)

After what he sai to you, I wouldn't be polite :mad:

B.Bojan
02-15-2008, 04:31 AM
Forget polite behaviour, tell him "Ćuti, bre, budalo!" :lol:

Okonsky
02-15-2008, 12:19 PM

Zacepi! (not you, Faren....:))

vucina
02-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Drži se Farenhajte, junače. Razbijaš ih u GM.

Okonsky
02-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Drži se Farenhajte, junače. Razbijaš ih u GM.

Junakinja.

uglyamerican
06-12-2008, 07:53 AM
ATTENTION SERBS:

There is a guy at my mom's work called Aleksandar Vujasinovic.

Where do you think he comes from? Is this a Serbian name? Slovene?

Okonsky
06-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Serbian name, Serb roots for sure. Maybe he came from Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia, Bosnia...but nevertheless, former YU are full of Serbs. There is 13 milion Serbs in FYU.

uglyamerican
06-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Serbian name, Serb roots for sure. Maybe he came from Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia, Bosnia...but nevertheless, former YU are full of Serbs. There is 13 milion Serbs in FYU.

Thanks. That's what I was suspecting.

Tutu
06-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Ohhh I want in!! Does Hvala mean thank you? :)

Okonsky
06-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Yes.

uglyamerican
06-12-2008, 09:40 PM
I was wondering what the word "hrani"---in the national anthem----means.

kirkicica
06-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Bože spasi, Bože hrani..
literally it means God save, God feed...

Stasha
06-12-2008, 09:54 PM
I was wondering what the word "hrani"---in the national anthem----means.
to guard, to take care
It's old meaning of this word.

simplysadie
07-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys! This thread is very helpful! *bows to those of you who can speak Serbian*

savesthedizzle
07-08-2008, 02:40 AM
I need something translated :) Is anyone around? This Serbian guy on Facebook bought 5/6 of my pictures on the Owned application and gave me a nickname and I want to know what it means ;) It's the one where I'm wearing my Serbia t-shirt, so it's probably something nice, I'd assume :p :haha:

arm
07-08-2008, 02:53 AM
The Serbs are all sleeping right now. It's almost 4am in Blegrade. :awww: 3am here. You should get your answer tomorrow. ;)

savesthedizzle
07-08-2008, 02:58 AM
The Serbs are all sleeping right now. It's almost 4am in Blegrade. :awww: 3am here. You should get your answer tomorrow. ;)

Jelena used to be nocturnal :lol: so you never know when someone can't sleep. (like you, maybe? :haha: :hug: )

I should probably tell them what I want translated :rolls:

If someone could tell me what "Lepa majica :)" means :p :lol:

arm
07-08-2008, 03:04 AM
:awww: Well, I can't sleep but here it is 3 am and in Belgrade it is 4 am. So there is a one hour difference, which is a lot no? :lol: :awww: I really should go to bed early tomorrow.

savesthedizzle
07-08-2008, 03:14 AM
:awww: Well, I can't sleep but here it is 3 am and in Belgrade it is 4 am. So there is a one hour difference, which is a lot no? :lol: :awww: I really should go to bed early tomorrow.

One hour difference is a huge difference, of course :D

I hope there are people up late at night with me tomorrow night :lol: Tomorrow night I want to stay up pretty late, until 2-3 am, so that I will be tired on Wednesday since my flight is an overnight flight leaving Wednesday night, so I will be tired enough to sleep on the plane.

Whenever I fly to London I hardly end up sleeping at all because the stewardesses on Virgin Atlantic go around giving you food and drink so often I never really get asleep before they're offering me more wine or coffee or water or something :rolls: Luckily (or not), I hear the service on Lufthansa is not as good, so I should be able to fall asleep better :haha:

arm
07-08-2008, 03:23 AM
One hour difference is a huge difference, of course :D

I hope there are people up late at night with me tomorrow night :lol: Tomorrow night I want to stay up pretty late, until 2-3 am, so that I will be tired on Wednesday since my flight is an overnight flight leaving Wednesday night, so I will be tired enough to sleep on the plane.

Whenever I fly to London I hardly end up sleeping at all because the stewardesses on Virgin Atlantic go around giving you food and drink so often I never really get asleep before they're offering me more wine or coffee or water or something :rolls: Luckily (or not), I hear the service on Lufthansa is not as good, so I should be able to fall asleep better :haha:

Well the best companies I have ever flyed with are TAP (portuguese) and Lufthansa... In fact, Lufthansa gave me the best meal I have ever eaten in a plane - some pasta. :lol:

When I came back from Cuba, I had a panic attack. :o:lol: Because my seat TV was broken and I wasn't sleepy. So I started thinking about those 7 hours I would have to spend doing nothing. :scared: What the hell am I doing? Trying to scare you? :rolleyes: Forget about it, you'll manage to sleep. ;)

savesthedizzle
07-08-2008, 03:30 AM
Well the best companies I have ever flyed with are TAP (portuguese) and Lufthansa... In fact, Lufthansa gave me the best meal I have ever eaten in a plane - some pasta. :lol:

When I came back from Cuba, I had a panic attack. :o:lol: Because my seat TV was broken and I wasn't sleepy. So I started thinking about those 7 hours I would have to spend doing nothing. :scared: What the hell am I doing? Trying to scare you? :rolleyes: Forget about it, you'll manage to sleep. ;)

Well, if Lufthansa is good, that would be lovely :D But if they are bad, I'm okay with that too :rolls:

I have a solution for my seat TV being broken.... and that is.... that I have 2 movies on my iPod ;) I might put Atonement on there before I leave. Then I would have Bubble Boy, Breakfast at Tiffany's and Atonement on there to watch in a case of an emergency :rolls:

I also have a book of crossword puzzles to do which would hopefully make me tired :D

I have everything covered! :rolls:

zeleni
07-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Jelena used to be nocturnal :lol: so you never know when someone can't sleep. (like you, maybe? :haha: :hug: )

I should probably tell them what I want translated :rolls:

If someone could tell me what "Lepa majica :)" means :p :lol:
lepa majica = nice t-shirt :)

zeleni
07-08-2008, 11:51 AM
ATTENTION SERBS:

There is a guy at my mom's work called Aleksandar Vujasinovic.

Where do you think he comes from? Is this a Serbian name? Slovene?

Yes, Vujasinović is a Serb surname. It is from Bukovica region in Dalmatia, Croatia. Vladimir Vujasinović, the best water polo player in the world, has his origin there.

Also can be found somewhere in Bosnia, but I am not quite sure about that...

savesthedizzle
07-08-2008, 11:52 AM
lepa majica = nice t-shirt :)

Thank you :D :lol:

That makes a lot of sense :D

simplysadie
07-15-2008, 06:16 AM
How do you say Novak's parent's names? They always confuse me when I'm trying to say them :confused:

erica
08-22-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm starting to think that Serbian is a stupid language I will never learn. Sigh. :(

«Ivan»
08-22-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm starting to think that Serbian is a stupid language I will never learn. Sigh. :(

that's offensive.yes,tough.but who is stupid?your flag language or your location serbian language?or someone third?

_sanja_
08-22-2008, 10:41 PM

ofcourse u will!! maybe its harder than english or spanish but its not impossible! :P
and also depend where are u learning it... courses can be tricky, cos imo u wont understand even half if u`ll talk to a native :)

Jelena_78
08-23-2008, 12:16 AM

:confused:

I know I could probably never learn French or German, but I don't think or say they're stupid languages :shrug: Not 1 language is stupid, some are harder and some easier to learn.

*Ljubica*
08-23-2008, 10:59 AM
:confused:

I know I could probably never learn French or German, but I don't think or say they're stupid languages :shrug: Not 1 language is stupid, some are harder and some easier to learn.

Jelena - you are tremendously gifted with languages, so I'm sure you could :) And of course Serbian is not a stupid language at all - in fact I think it's extremely beautiful. I admit it is quite hard to learn - I can speak French and Spanish quite fluently, but I do struggle with Serbian, even though I live with a native speaker :awww: But I know I just have to persevere :)

erica
08-23-2008, 01:46 PM
I didn't mean to be offensive in any way, or actually mean that Serbian is a stupid language. I mostly meant that I'm the one being stupid, struggling with Serbian :help: I'm doing my best learning, but not really getting anywhere. :lol:

neenah
08-23-2008, 04:23 PM
I wish I could speak Serbian. :awww: How do you say "I wish I could speak Serbian" in Serbian? :p

Chupakabra
08-23-2008, 05:51 PM
I wish I could speak Serbian. :awww: How do you say "I wish I could speak Serbian" in Serbian? :p

It's easy...Something like : "Želeo bih da pričam srpski." or "Ja (which is "I" in English) bih želeo da pričam srpski."

Pronunciation: Letter "Ž" is pronounced as in gelatine or,to be more precise,like in French,the first letter of surname of French tennis player (Marc) Gicquel, and letter "Č" is pronounced as the first letter of English word "chestity" or "chest",for example...

Note that Serbian alphabet is strictly phonetic with one letter representing one sound so that you read the words exactly in the same way that they are written (it is probably the biggest advantage of Serbian language and some other Balkan languages like Croatian,Macedonian etc.It has no problem about knowing to write every word including personal names...)

;)

_sanja_
08-23-2008, 06:10 PM
It's easy...Something like : "Želeo bih da pričam srpski." or "Ja (which is "I" in English) bih želeo da pričam srpski."

Pronunciation: Letter "Ž" is pronounced as in gelatine or,to be more precise,like in French,the first letter of surname of French tennis player (Marc) Gicquel, and letter "Č" is pronounced as the first letter of English word "chestity" or "chest",for example...

Note that Serbian alphabet is strictly phonetic with one letter representing one sound so that you read the words exactly in the same way that they are written (it is probably the biggest advantage of Serbian language and some other Balkan languages like Croatian,Macedonian etc.It has no problem about knowing to write every word including personal names...)

;)

I think neenah is a female, so in that case is želela ;)

neenah
08-23-2008, 06:31 PM

;)

Thanks! :worship: :yeah:

I think neenah is a female, so in that case is želela ;)

Yes, I'm female. Thanks for clearing this up. :lol:

uglyamerican
11-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Attention Rakija Drinkers:

I have found 2 kinds of rakija that I can get shipped to me here in US.

Stara Sokolva:
http://www.topshelfdirect.com/stara-sokolova-rakija-75.html

and
Navip Slivovitz:
http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=froogle&ProductID=17610

I found some from outside Serbia as well.
Which should I get myself for Christmas?
Give me your thoughts and opinions, if you please.

EKSTREMISTA
11-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Šljivovica,of course!Cheers! :drool:

jeremda01
12-23-2008, 05:31 AM
AJDE Djoko!

Miss Runcible
01-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Quick question to all you brilliant Serbian speakers out there...

How do you say 'I hope you'll enjoy the book' in Serbian?

werbatim
01-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Nadam se da ćeš uživati u knjizi. - that's literally
or better one
Nadam se da će ti se knjiga dopasti

Miss Runcible
01-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Thank you, werbatim! Much appreciated! :)

Baghdatis#1
03-06-2009, 10:03 PM
All I know is Ajde and Beograd:o

aeronatasha
03-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Can't believe I haven't participated in this thread yet..:o

If any of you guys need any help with our wonderful language, feel free to ask. :wavey:

*Ljubica*
03-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Can't believe I haven't participated in this thread yet..:o

If any of you guys need any help with our wonderful language, feel free to ask. :wavey:

I may well hold you to that :) My wonderful "better half" :spit: has absolutely no patience with me when I try to learn his language, - he says it's easier for him to speak English with me than to try and teach me Serbian :rolleyes: - so half the time, I give up asking him :o I'm sure you are a far more patient teacher :)

«Ivan»
03-11-2009, 05:03 PM
All I know is Ajde and Beograd:o
:angel:

Oδοντοφλυφίδα и θάλασσα.

My wonderful "better half" :spit: :)

:eek: he has to be gorgeous;)

*Ljubica*
03-11-2009, 05:07 PM
:angel:

Oδοντοφλυφίδα и θάλασσα.

:eek: he has to be gorgeous;)

Yes he is :) Though I admit I'm kind of biased :o Most people say he looks like an older, taller version of Janko Tipsarevic :shrug: so I guess it depends if you think he's gorgeous or not :)

«Ivan»
03-11-2009, 05:13 PM
well,he IS very handsome.but you are real queen with serbian flag:worship:

*Ljubica*
03-11-2009, 05:23 PM
well,he IS very handsome.but you are real queen with serbian flag:worship:

:awww: You'll make me blush :o Thank you. Serbian flag is for him anyway (and for Nole and Janko too of course!).

aeronatasha
03-11-2009, 10:30 PM
I may well hold you to that :) My wonderful "better half" :spit: has absolutely no patience with me when I try to learn his language, - he says it's easier for him to speak English with me than to try and teach me Serbian :rolleyes: - so half the time, I give up asking him :o I'm sure you are a far more patient teacher :)

:lol: Serbian is very hard to learn, I'll give him that. I keep remembering a friend of mine (from England too ;)), who just couldn't believe some of our most common words are made out of consonants alone.:rolls:

I don't know what's your Serbian like ;), but an example of the above mentioned would be our word for "finger".

.. => It's "PRST". She died trying to say it correctly, we laughed all afternoon.. Of course, you would find it much easier and logical if you spent some time in Serbia :angel:. Foreigners often say we sound crude (we do curse a lot, it's easy to tell :o, I can read Novak's lips without a prob :o), but they usually like it eventually.

So as I said, I'm here. Fire away. :)

Baghdatis#1
03-11-2009, 11:40 PM
^Don't worry. Greek is hard too. I laugh at so many tourists when they try to speak it:lol:
How do you say "hello" in Serbian?

aeronatasha
03-12-2009, 12:32 AM
^Don't worry. Greek is hard too. I laugh at so many tourists when they try to speak it:lol:
How do you say "hello" in Serbian?

"Zdravo". But a casual "ćao" will do too.;)

*Ljubica*
03-12-2009, 07:48 AM
:lol: Serbian is very hard to learn, I'll give him that. I keep remembering a friend of mine (from England too ;)), who just couldn't believe some of our most common words are made out of consonants alone.:rolls:

I don't know what's your Serbian like ;), but an example of the above mentioned would be our word for "finger".

.. => It's "PRST". She died trying to say it correctly, we laughed all afternoon.. Of course, you would find it much easier and logical if you spent some time in Serbia :angel:. Foreigners often say we sound crude (we do curse a lot, it's easy to tell :o, I can read Novak's lips without a prob :o), but they usually like it eventually.

So as I said, I'm here. Fire away. :)

Thanks :hug: In answer to your question, I would say my Serbian is pretty poor :o I can read it fine, and I understand when people are speaking to me, or when I watch TV etc, but I have difficulty finding the confidence to speak so much myself :o Actually, my main problem is the grammar more than the pronounciation - I can just never get my head around things like real names (for example) changing their ending depending on what part of the sentence they appear in - Ljubica becoming Ljubice etc :o because English, French and Spanish just don't do it and it confuses me :o

Alex does try - but he's naturally very gifted at languages - speaking fluent German and Russian as well as English and Serbian, - so he loses patience when he explains something and I don't understand it first time. I will have to think of some useful phrases that I'll need when I come to Belgrade tennis in May, because he won't be with me the whole time, and I'll need to catch buses/taxis etc on my own :unsure: - and then I will come back to you. Now I have to go to work :wavey: Thanks again.

aeronatasha
03-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks :hug: In answer to your question, I would say my Serbian is pretty poor :o I can read it fine, and I understand when people are speaking to me, or when I watch TV etc, but I have difficulty finding the confidence to speak so much myself :o Actually, my main problem is the grammar more than the pronounciation - I can just never get my head around things like real names (for example) changing their ending depending on what part of the sentence they appear in - Ljubica becoming Ljubice etc :o because English, French and Spanish just don't do it and it confuses me :o

Alex does try - but he's naturally very gifted at languages - speaking fluent German and Russian as well as English and Serbian, - so he loses patience when he explains something and I don't understand it first time. I will have to think of some useful phrases that I'll need when I come to Belgrade tennis in May, because he won't be with me the whole time, and I'll need to catch buses/taxis etc on my own :unsure: - and then I will come back to you. Now I have to go to work :wavey: Thanks again.

I'd be delighted to show you around when you arrive.:) And yes, our grammar is an absolute bitch, we have (as I'm sure you already know), no less than seven cases (that's more than freakin' Russian!), but don't worry, I'm sure people will understand you just fine. We love hearing all of you visitors speak our language.:hug::smooch: People here are most willing to help *in most cases*.:angel: It's the fact you're interested in it that counts. You'd be surprised how natural it'll get saying 'Ljubica/e/i/u/om' once you get the sense of direction and subject/object relation. You seem to be excellent with languages in general, and to tell you the truth, a significant number of Serbs isn't too acquainted with their own grammar either.:o Hell, we should just head for Vranje, they'd understand you perfectly there.:o

Alex sounds very gifted.:cool: Tell him I said 'tako je, majstore'.;)

And please, correct me if I'm wrong with spelling/grammar/phrases, I don't like being semi-literate in any language.:o

*Ljubica*
03-12-2009, 05:02 PM
I'd be delighted to show you around when you arrive.:) And yes, our grammar is an absolute bitch, we have (as I'm sure you already know), no less than seven cases (that's more than freakin' Russian!), but don't worry, I'm sure people will understand you just fine. We love hearing all of you visitors speak our language.:hug::smooch: People here are most willing to help *in most cases*.:angel: It's the fact you're interested in it that counts. You'd be surprised how natural it'll get saying 'Ljubica/e/i/u/om' once you get the sense of direction and subject/object relation. You seem to be excellent with languages in general, and to tell you the truth, a significant number of Serbs isn't too acquainted with their own grammar either.:o Hell, we should just head for Vranje, they'd understand you perfectly there.:o

Alex sounds very gifted.:cool: Tell him I said 'tako je, majstore'.;)

And please, correct me if I'm wrong with spelling/grammar/phrases, I don't like being semi-literate in any language.:o

When he gets home from work I will surely tell him :) And - yes - he is gifted :) - he is an Ophthalmic surgeon (the sort of job I could never do), who also happens to speak 4 languages fluently, and look pretty hot at the same time - or maybe I'm just biased with the last one :o

And - believe me, you could never be described as semi-literate in English - your English (as with Jelena and many other non-native speakers on this Board), - is better than many English people :o For instance the only small "error" I saw in your post above, is that you said "Serbs isn't too acquainted" instead of "Serbs aren't too acquainted", as "isn't" is the singular form, and "aren't" is the plural form, and you were speaking of more than one person. But your English is great :)

It would be great to meet you in Belgrade :) At the moment, our plans are to stay with Alex's family for 4-5 days, but then they are all going to their place in the country for a family holiday, and I'm going to stay for a few days in Belgrade to watch the tennis and then follow them later. Will let you know more nearer the time.

As for the seven cases :unsure: I can't imagine it ever being natural to me, but I suppose it comes with practice like everything else :)

Baghdatis#1
03-12-2009, 08:29 PM
"Zdravo". But a casual "ćao" will do too.;)

aeronatasha
03-12-2009, 10:57 PM
When he gets home from work I will surely tell him :) And - yes - he is gifted :) - he is an Ophthalmic surgeon (the sort of job I could never do), who also happens to speak 4 languages fluently, and look pretty hot at the same time - or maybe I'm just biased with the last one :o

Wow.:eek: Guy's a regular James Bond.;) I love it when it happens in real life.:)

And - believe me, you could never be described as semi-literate in English - your English (as with Jelena and many other non-native speakers on this Board), - is better than many English people :o For instance the only small "error" I saw in your post above, is that you said "Serbs isn't too acquainted" instead of "Serbs aren't too acquainted", as "isn't" is the singular form, and "aren't" is the plural form, and you were speaking of more than one person. But your English is great :)

Oops, I stand corrected about that one, thought about "number" instead of "Serbs" there, but see, that's the kind of help I need.;) Thanks for rating me so high :o, but should we meet, please don't hate my quasi-American accent.:o It's all we ever hear on TV, not my fault, honestly.:sad:

It would be great to meet you in Belgrade :) At the moment, our plans are to stay with Alex's family for 4-5 days, but then they are all going to their place in the country for a family holiday, and I'm going to stay for a few days in Belgrade to watch the tennis and then follow them later. Will let you know more nearer the time.

As for the seven cases :unsure: I can't imagine it ever being natural to me, but I suppose it comes with practice like everything else :)

If you find the time and I'm in Belgrade for the tournament (could be abroad cause of work), I'd be pleased to be your host for the day(s). We might even manage to catch Janko in his leisure time if we're lucky :lol:, I can't promise for Nole though.:o

*Ljubica*
03-13-2009, 01:20 PM
If you find the time and I'm in Belgrade for the tournament (could be abroad cause of work), I'd be pleased to be your host for the day(s). We might even manage to catch Janko in his leisure time if we're lucky :lol:, I can't promise for Nole though.:o

Thanks - it would be a pleasure to spend some time with you :hug: But are you sure that you trust me with Janko in his leisure time :o :tape: As for your quasi-American accent......... please don't worry. For a good few years I dated an Argentine guy who had spent a long time living in the US, so I'm really used to "foreigners" speaking English with an American accent :D I'm just impressed that people can speak my language so well at all :)

:secret: Alex loved your James Bond comment :tape: Though his answer was something that I couldn't possibly write on here, but which proves what you said earlier that some Serbian people do curse a lot :o :lol:

aeronatasha
03-13-2009, 02:45 PM
I believe you'd be more than capable of spanking Janko, which is something he obviously needs right now, since he's forgotten how to play tennis apparently.:mad:

I'm liking Alex more and more. :rolls: I see we have lot of things in common, I've been known to curse like a mofo times and again.:lol: You seem like a really devoted inetrnational super action couple.:rocker:

*Ljubica*
03-13-2009, 03:38 PM
I believe you'd be more than capable of spanking Janko, which is something he obviously needs right now, since he's forgotten how to play tennis apparently.:mad:

I'm liking Alex more and more. :rolls: I see we have lot of things in common, I've been known to curse like a mofo times and again.:lol: You seem like a really devoted inetrnational super action couple.:rocker:

If I spanked Janko - one of us may enjoy it far too much :o And then he wouldn't be in a fit state to play tennis for a while :lol:

As for Alex - thanks - and most people do seem to like him :) - even my Dad - and that is indeed a difficult task, because he is one of these men who thinks no one is "good enough" for his darling daughter :rolleyes: Of course we have our disagreements from time to time (wouldn't be a normal couple otherwise :shrug: ) - but we are pretty happy - and despite my jokes I would never, ever cheat on him (not even with Janko! :lol:)

uglyamerican
04-29-2009, 03:27 AM
Q:
How do you represent the "th" sound? How would you spell "Methodius" or "Athens"?

With the ф, I guess?

~Maya~
04-29-2009, 03:31 AM
Let me just say: I HATE THAT SOUND :mad:

We don't have such sound and it is pain in the butt for me to use it when i speak English :o. We have just regular T or D sounds

uglyamerican
04-29-2009, 03:56 AM
Would you spell the capital of Greece-
Атени
or a different way?

~Maya~
04-29-2009, 04:02 AM
Atina or Атина

uglyamerican
04-29-2009, 04:06 AM
Thanks so much. :wavey: I'm sure I'll be back in this thread soon.

~Maya~
04-29-2009, 04:11 AM
No problem. See you around :)

kalisita
04-29-2009, 04:14 AM

We don't have such sound and it is pain in the butt for me to use it when i speak English :o. We have just regular T or D sounds

It is a difficult sound. Most English-speaking children can't really pronounce it correctly until around 5 usually.

Lee
04-29-2009, 06:37 AM

All my Spanish teachers (they are from Mexico, Central or South America) have difficulty with this sound too. :hug:

~Maya~
04-30-2009, 01:12 AM
:lol: Kind of like my hubby not being able to pronounce the Serbian R sound.

I had issues with W too, but I managed to improve that one

Baghdatis#1
04-30-2009, 01:42 AM
Q:
How do you represent the "th" sound? How would you spell "Methodius" or "Athens"?

With the ф, I guess?

OMG!!!!!:eek:
A 90% turn would make that letter the Greek "th":lol:
Except the line that goes through it is shorter;)

I'm currently:inlove: with the Serbian language:drool:

Okonsky
04-30-2009, 04:30 PM
OMG!!!!!:eek:
A 90% turn would make that letter the Greek "th":lol:
Except the line that goes through it is shorter;)

I'm currently:inlove: with the Serbian language:drool:

You know what's good:) (Ti znas sta je dobro)