Henman to quit... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Henman to quit...

Horatio Caine
02-26-2006, 05:13 PM
My thanks to NATAS for drawing my attention to this article: http://tennistales.blogs.eurosport.com/

Henman is right in some respects....he belongs in the top 20 still but injuries are preventing him from progressing. I'd like to think he will stay in the game next year if he finishes 2006 in the top 30...that way at least he would be seeded for most events into April.

However, he is correct...he cannot be getting much enjoyment out of it right now, and I guess he might not even make the main draw of the clay AMS coming up...quite what he will do at that point I have no idea.

Bagelicious
02-26-2006, 05:16 PM
:sad:

I really hope he's able to achieve his goal this year and get back into the top 20. It would be so sad for him to slink out of tennis, if he leaves it would be nice to go out on a positive note.

almouchie
02-26-2006, 05:21 PM
he should give Wimbledon another last shot
do himself the chance
try to geer his year towards Wimbledon
then decide if want to do this anymore if hi is not so healthy

*Ljubica*
02-26-2006, 05:22 PM
:sad: But totally respect his decision. I hate to see once great players trying to carry on when thier bodies won't let them play as well as they used to, and they start losing to guys they shouldn't lose to :sad: Tim has a wife and two beautiful daughters, - he certainly doesn't need the money anymore, and if he feels the time is right then good luck to him. He will leave on his own terms with his head held high like the classy guy he is. Good luck Tim - will miss you :hug:

NYCtennisfan
02-26-2006, 05:23 PM
he should give Wimbledon another last shot
do himself the chance
try to geer his year towards Wimbledon
then decide if want to do this anymore if hi is not so healthy

Totally agree.

Horatio Caine
02-26-2006, 05:28 PM
:sobbing: :bigcry: :tears: :sad: :hysteric:

binkygirl
02-26-2006, 05:33 PM
I'll miss him as well. Just 3 years ago, he was 4 in the world. Tim is a good guy, best of luck to him. And he's sexy as hell too, I don't give a crap about his teeth!!

Via Pax
02-26-2006, 05:45 PM
He will leave on his own terms with his head held high like the classy guy he is. Good luck Tim - will miss you :hug:
I second that! :worship:

federated
02-26-2006, 06:05 PM
:sad: But totally respect his decision. I hate to see once great players trying to carry on when thier bodies won't let them play as well as they used to, and they start losing to guys they shouldn't lose to :sad: Tim has a wife and two beautiful daughters, - he certainly doesn't need the money anymore, and if he feels the time is right then good luck to him. He will leave on his own terms with his head held high like the classy guy he is. Good luck Tim - will miss you :hug:

:sad: tim's such a class guy :sad:

Andre♥
02-26-2006, 06:07 PM
The main problem with Henman is that grass is probably is worst surface. I loved to see Tim playing RG'04 where he kicked Chela's ass in QF in straight sets. I loved to see Tim beating Roddick in IW'04. In fact, 2004 was a great year for him, excluding Wimbledon where Ancic destroyed him in straight sets.

I would love to see Tim winning Wimbledon, but I don't think he'll ever do it. But maybe this year he has a chance, since Murray will get the english media pressure. Maybe Tim can focus better and do a surprise, but there's always Federer... :sad:

helen phillips
02-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Nice guy but I can't say I'll miss him. Injuries are tough I hope he can play it out, he should go when he knows the game has really passed him by. I don't see him back in the top 30 but then again I don't appreciate his style of play at all.

gusman890
02-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Tim is a good guy at heart.

sure he can be an asshole to boyballs, but then again everyone looses their temper once in a while.
and in 2004, he was in the top 10, but when your as old as him its tough to keep your form.

might as well open your own tennis school or become the Queens club tournament director.

have fun mate :)

*Ljubica*
02-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Tim is a good guy at heart.

sure he can be an asshole to boyballs, but then again everyone looses their temper once in a while.
and in 2004, he was in the top 10, but when your as old as him its tough to keep your form.

might as well open your own tennis school or become the Queens club tournament director.

have fun mate :)
Tim is becoming quite involved in property developing here in the South of England (buying property, having it renovated and then selling it on at a huge profit :) ), and he is already in demand for commentaing with Sky Sports and the BBC - so I don't think he will ever be bored or short of money!!

Luka Matic
02-26-2006, 07:27 PM
If injuires are stoping him from winninig matches he should retire with competiting at Wimbledon . . .
No need killing his body , and pushing it to the limits , if he can be top 20 !

AgassiDomination
02-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Where is his fighting spirit? :sad:

MrExcel
02-26-2006, 08:23 PM

Erm... the fact he's into his thirties and still competing in professional tennis with an ongoing back injury?

lau
02-26-2006, 08:25 PM
I´ll miss him.... :sad:
Tim is becoming quite involved in property developing here in the South of England (buying property, having it renovated and then selling it on at a huge profit :) ), and he is already in demand for commentaing with Sky Sports and the BBC - so I don't think he will ever be bored or short of money!!
Glad to hear that! :)

BelgianWaffle
02-26-2006, 08:58 PM
:hug: :hug:
You can't not like Tim, he will be misssed when he retires. I will always remember his great run at Roland Garros, serving and volleying his way all to the semifinal! :lol: :yeah:

BelgianWaffle
02-26-2006, 09:00 PM
He has a wife and 2 (?) children, he's 30, injured and doesn't have much prospect of a great comeback sooo.. I think it's understandable.

AgassiDomination
02-26-2006, 09:08 PM
He has a wife and 2 (?) children, he's 30, injured and doesn't have much prospect of a great comeback sooo.. I think it's understandable.

Um.... that is almost exactly what Agassi is going through, yet he still isn't giving up.

Flibbertigibbet
02-26-2006, 09:10 PM
Um.... that is almost exactly what Agassi is going through, yet he still isn't giving up.

But Agassi isn't Henman. Agassi is Agassi, and Henman is Henman.

BelgianWaffle
Yes, but I think we all agree Henman isn't even in the same league as Andre Agassi. Besides Agassi is an exception.

belco
good luck to him what ever he does

Mechlan
02-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Sad to hear that. I really hope he can make one last push and achieve his goal for the year. If not, he will be missed.

stebs
02-26-2006, 09:15 PM
The main problem with Henman is that grass is probably is worst surface.

:eek: :confused:

I'll be sorry to see Tim go but the passing shots have become too good for a serve volleyer without a huge serve.

|-Safin_Coria-|
02-26-2006, 10:10 PM
exactly how I feel :bigcry:

Duncan
02-26-2006, 10:36 PM

He's losing his fighting spirit, the injury is getting the better of him :sad:

I would fully understand if he were to quit buti really really really hope he can find a solution to his back problem! :sad:

Rogiman
02-26-2006, 11:04 PM
That's the nature of sports, you get older and eventually retire, nothing tragic.

Thanks Tim for playing some of the most watchable tennis of this decade.

Scotso
02-26-2006, 11:06 PM
He should have retired at the end of last year.

Federerthebest
02-26-2006, 11:09 PM
he had such a beautiful serve-volley game, the last of the classic tennis players :sad:

and thanks to the british press he will be remembered in the public consciousness as a failure :rolleyes:

buddyholly
02-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Federer to quit.........

This title makes as much sense as yours. The blog is titled ''Henman considers quitting.................''
That is not news and without the untrue thread title nobody would be interested.

Horatio Caine
02-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Federer to quit.........

This title makes as much sense as yours. The blog is titled ''Henman considers quitting.................''
That is not news and without the untrue thread title nobody would be interested.

"Henman to quit..." is different to "Henman to quit."

It implies there is something else to it. Think a little - you were born with a brain :rolleyes:

s.m.
02-26-2006, 11:28 PM
i must admit i didn´t like henman´s attitude 4 or 5 years ago, but he has matured a lot, and his game is beautiful to watch
i am sad to hear this, but it looks like he´s come to terms with himself
he speaks very objectively
i´m glad i saw him live in zagreb this year