02-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Andre Agassi's Dubai press conference is now available on WWW.Inside-tennis.net

SLICK
02-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Agassi will not be playing anymore clay court events ever again :sad:

nermo
02-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the read again ;)

Do u consider Agassi's skipping clay a kind of wise gradual withdrawal ?

Allez
02-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Gotta agree with Andre there. However I cannot see him doing well on grass (he'll probably only play Wimbledon), so why not just skip everything and train for the 2nd half of the season ? He still has a shot at winning the US Open, should something happen to the Fed.

NATAS81
02-26-2006, 02:54 PM
I agree with Allez, he's got nothing to prove anymore. He just wants to gear himself up against the best of the best to see where he's at.

That's why he's at Dubai, partially for the $$$. That's why he's skipping clay because he wants to be his best for the summer HC swing and challenge for select titles.

Agassi doesn't have to play but one or two tourneys and players will still give him more respect to anyone on the tour maybe even more than Federer.

mandy20
02-26-2006, 03:04 PM
I think andre is ready and fit now to play well in the next 3 tournements coming up and he will play on grass before wimbeldon and do well there as most of the players will be tied after the clay and andre will be fit. He is doing the right thing by not playing the clay he has nothing to prove as he has won the big one on clay go andre go

almouchie
02-26-2006, 05:12 PM
skip clay
what is agassi still hoping to acomplish, winning wimby,AO, US.
he must have goals or why else still play

ys
02-26-2006, 06:08 PM

No.. It is just aknowledgement that clay tennis does not fully belong to the tennis family anymore, that its specialization went too far.. Andre is simply not really interested in running competition against South Americans and Spaniards.. His skills are more about traditional tennis values - i.e. about hitting the ball past his opponent.

rofe
02-26-2006, 06:17 PM
I guess he feels that he won't be able to sustain long rallies given his condition so he is making the decision to not play it. That is smart thinking. He doesn't have to prove anything so he is choosing his tournaments carefully.

Spes
02-26-2006, 06:23 PM
He is being like Davenport, picking and choosing his tournaments very carefully. I think it is smart of him to enter tournaments carefully, as he doesn't want to get another injury and never be able to plat tennis again.

MisterQ
02-27-2006, 02:02 AM
We haven't seen Andre play on grass in quite a while, but I suspect that his game will still be well-suited to the surface. He has been playing shorter points and been more willing than he once was to approach the net (even serving and volleying occasionally :eek: ). His backhand dropshot has been fine-tuned. His flat serves have more pop than they once did and should work well on grass. Partly due to limited mobility, he has been resorting more often to the backhand slice, and while this shot does not rank among the finest slices we have seen, it should be more effective on grass than on surfaces with a higher bounce.

SLICK
02-27-2006, 04:17 AM

Wise, smart but kind of sad. :sad: