Game progressing very quickly? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Game progressing very quickly?

L James
02-26-2006, 02:58 PM
It was only 3-4 years ago when Hewitt, Roddick, Ferrero and Federer won their maiden Grand Slams and experts were saying 'Here is the new era! These young players will battle at the top of the game for many years to come!'. Now, 3 years on, it looks like Hewitt, Roddick and Ferrero are on the downward slide in their careers. Federer of course is in a league of his own.

Was that the quickest 'era' in tennis history and is the new era of Nadal/Murray/Gasquet/Djokovic et al. ready to take over? Has the game passed the likes of Hewitt/Ferrero/Roddick already? Or are they just going through 'down times' and will bounce back to Grand Slam glory soon?

ClaycourtaZzZz.
02-26-2006, 03:02 PM
change Djokovic with Baghdatis

Horatio Caine
02-26-2006, 03:05 PM
More likely it is because the previous big guns have had their games figured out e.g. Hewitt and Roddick.

Action Jackson
02-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Life moves on and so does sport, the best players adapt to keep ahead and the ones that don't get passed by.

nermo
02-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Every new generation 'll form a new era for the game.
The presence of bigger number of players turning professionals successfully at younger age with good mental and /or physical abilities,higher techs,... help to deepen the feeling of a more rapid turn over if u can say so.

But only the best players are able to keep competing , improving and surviving the competition without too much over /underratings .This goes for all ; Old, young and youngest players.

rexman
02-26-2006, 06:35 PM
In Ferrero's case, he's never gotten back to his 2003 level since his injuries and illness.

Last year Hewitt had a Major Finals and two semis. Tell me, what did Monfils have? What did Gasquet have? Just because he's having a rough patch for a couple tournaments hardly means he's on his way out.

Roddick, well, he's wait and see. His game is the most predictable so if any of the three of them have been "figured out" I'd say it's him.

helen phillips
02-26-2006, 08:06 PM
It seems like an in-between time right now. As far as I'm concerend Hewitt is a running as far back of Federer as the rest. I only saw a bit of Nadal last year and while his competitiveness and speed impressed me his game didn't seem all that - he may come up short this year. I think the real opportunity these days has been for the guys who have been around like Lub, Daydenko and Haas. We will see about the young ones but I doubt their time is now.

Winston's Human
02-26-2006, 09:22 PM
It was only 3-4 years ago when Hewitt, Roddick, Ferrero and Federer won their maiden Grand Slams and experts were saying 'Here is the new era! These young players will battle at the top of the game for many years to come!'. Now, 3 years on, it looks like Hewitt, Roddick and Ferrero are on the downward slide in their careers. Federer of course is in a league of his own.

Was that the quickest 'era' in tennis history and is the new era of Nadal/Murray/Gasquet/Djokovic et al. ready to take over? Has the game passed the likes of Hewitt/Ferrero/Roddick already? Or are they just going through 'down times' and will bounce back to Grand Slam glory soon?

While Nadal has clearly broken through to the elite of the game and Murray looked strong in San Jose, I think it is a little early to name an era after Gasquet or Djokovic since Djokovic has not even won a singles title yet and Gasquet has a 2-5 record this season.

Ferrero Forever
02-27-2006, 09:30 AM
No, they're not through yet. Expect Roddick and Ferrero to come back (especially Ferrero), but I'm not really expecting big things from hewitt because of his family commitments which is completely understandable. Though I think if Hewitt wasn't so tied down now, he'd come back as a force to reckon with too.

Jimnik
02-27-2006, 09:39 AM
I think Andy is just having a "blip" in his career. It's happened before to players who have tried to change or improve their games. His ranking will probably slip this year but next year I expect him to be back at the top again.

JC could still recover. A lot will depend on how well his clay court season goes this year. He needs good results at Monte-Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Hamburg and Roland Garros to get him back into the top 10.

Lleyton has a couple of good years left in him and then I think he'll start his permanent decline. He started his career very early and often before we've seen players like him burn-out at a younger age.

Chileno
02-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Andy should remain on the top 10 as long as he continues his good form on fast courts, but if he wants to stay in the top 5 he will need to improve his clay court game.

I don't think JC will be back. His position of clay court king has been taken by Nadal. I don't see him taking his crown back.

Lleyton is burned-out. He doesn't have much of that fire left in him (or maybe the players of today are better fighters than before?), either way, games will only get tougher for him in the future.