Strongest Field? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Strongest Field?

stebs
02-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Which ATP tournament which isn't a slam or masters series or masters cup has the strongest field??

I say this because with Dubai coming up I was thinking maybe it is that tournemnt.

David Kenzie
02-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Which ATP tournament which isn't a slam or masters series or masters cup has the strongest field??

I say this because with Dubai coming up I was thinking maybe it is that tournemnt.

Do you mean what is the strongest field a tourny has ever had, or from the past year only ?

Usually Barcelona has a pretty strong field.

~EMiLiTA~
02-26-2006, 01:34 PM
yeah the gold series tournaments usually have good fields

Rogiman
02-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Dubai hands down.
This year it's really turned the tables.

Loftra
02-26-2006, 01:51 PM
Rotterdam should have had a huge field this year but we all know what happened there.

shotgun
02-26-2006, 02:40 PM
I'd say Dubai.

And as for the $400,000 tournaments, Sydney usually has a pretty strong field.

LeCoach
02-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Barcelona, Queen's, Moscow

*Ljubica*
02-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Barcelona and Dubai I think.

gooner88
02-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Barcelona and Dubai I think.

I agree. I've always thought Basel had a pretty strong field too.

*Ljubica*
02-26-2006, 04:02 PM
I agree. I've always thought Basel had a pretty strong field too.
Yes - true - I had forgotten about Basel - great tournament and that probably deserves a mention too :)

stebs
02-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Basel is a great tournament and has a decent field but not really the same sort of field as Dubai. Last year Basel had Coria and Nalbandian as its top seeds with JCF, then ranked 16, in third. Dubai has Federer, Nadal, Agassi, Davydenko, Ferrer. All of them top 11.

almouchie
02-26-2006, 05:58 PM
dubai has a great field in the mens & womens event
I am very curious about the appearance money those players are nabbing
never been a big fan of players getting money to appear in tournaments & also getting their prize money.
Federer, Safin,Agassi, Nadal it is looking very good indeed. hope they progress further so we can watch a match off with some of them

stebs
02-26-2006, 06:09 PM
dubai has a great field in the mens & womens event
never been a big fan of players getting money to appear in tournaments & also getting their prize money.
Federer, Safin,Agassi, Nadal it is looking very good indeed. hope they progress further so we can watch a match off with some of them

To be honest, much as I would like to see it, I think Safin will crash out in the first round. He will be rusty and Davydenko will be consistent.

Kosm
02-26-2006, 06:14 PM
To be honest, much as I would like to see it, I think Safin will crash out in the first round. He will be rusty and Davydenko will be consistent.

Absolutely true. According to the reports of Marat's practice in Dubai he'll need time and matches to return to even average level. At this moment he'll lose to any player. The question is only how badly. :(

Castafiore
02-26-2006, 06:17 PM

According to www.tennis-x.com, Federer gets half a million dollars just to show up at Dubai.

http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2006-02-26/c.php

Does anybody have any idea about what some of the others are getting as appearance money?

NATAS81
02-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Appearance $$$ aside, Dubai has some exquisite venues nearby including the world famous helipad! :worship:

I'm sure the players, especially women, are encouraged to attend because of the shopping. :lol:

http://www.mhmatrix.com/Images/City/Dubai.jpg

stebs
02-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Appearance $$$ aside, Dubai has some exquisite venues nearby including the world famous helipad! :worship:

I wan't to play on that helipad :(