Nadal press conference [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal press conference

SLICK
02-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Rafael Nadal has just given a press conference in Dubai. For details go to WWW.Inside-tennis.net

mallorn
02-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks! :)

SLICK
02-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Rafa is looking hungry. I wonder how far he will go in Dubai? Even not at 100% i think he can make the semis at least.

stebs
02-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Rafa is looking hungry. I wonder how far he will go in Dubai? Even not at 100% i think he can make the semis at least.

He does have the easier half of the draw but PHM could spring an upset in the first round if Rafa is rusty. If Rafa gets through one round and starts to get back to his old self he can get to semis, finals, maybe even win it.

SLICK
02-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Don't think he's at that high level yet. At his best he would struggle against a Federer or Safin in top form on a hard court, and he says he is still not quite 100%.

stebs
02-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Don't think he's at that high level yet. At his best he would struggle against a Federer or Safin in top form on a hard court, and he says he is still not quite 100%.

Yes that is for sure but playing matches is what will nurture him to full fitness. I agree with you that I doubt he could beat Federer unless he is at 200% :)

He could still make some serious dents into this tournament though.

SLICK
02-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Yes that is for sure but playing matches is what will nurture him to full fitness. I agree with you that I doubt he could beat Federer unless he is at 200% :)

He could still make some serious dents into this tournament though.
I hope that will be the case. I would love to see a Nadal v Agassi semi.

nermo
02-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the read.

I agree he still not at his best levels, and he's got a serious mission infron of PHM if he's not ready enough.
I hope and 'd love to see him getting deeper in the tourney.

mallorn
02-26-2006, 12:24 PM
I agree he still not at his best levels, and he's got a serious mission infron of PHM if he's not ready enough.
PHM can definitely be a tricky opponent for Rafa, but their head-to-head is 3-0 in Nadal's favour. He just beat Mathieu 7-5, 6-4 in Marseille, so I'm cautiously optimistic. ;)

SLICK
02-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Just seen Rafa's mate Feliciano practising with Agassi. He was hitting with his shirt off and looked almost as ripped as the guy in my avatar! Unfortunately, his strokes were not nearly as ripped inside the court, and he was shouting out in Spanish most of the time to Andre's amusement. Agassi was moving ok and looked healthy. Don't think he's timing the ball quite as well as he'd like yet though.

SLICK
02-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Sounds like Rafa has been working on getting a bigger serve. He said that he served something like 12 or 13 aces in Marseilles. I assume he meant on average per match.

NATAS81
02-26-2006, 02:48 PM
No he had like 8 aces in one match out of nowhere.

I'm sure that was his highest total for a three set match.

NYCtennisfan
02-26-2006, 05:40 PM
I think we will see a Federer/Nadal final which would be fun. Nadal did serve bigger in Mareseille, but still didn't win a very high % of the points on his first serve. I think it was less than 70% for the entire tournament which is not very good, but that was for a variety of reasons.

NicoFan
02-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Just seen Rafa's mate Feliciano practising with Agassi. He was hitting with his shirt off and looked almost as ripped as the guy in my avatar! Unfortunately, his strokes were not nearly as ripped inside the court, and he was shouting out in Spanish most of the time to Andre's amusement. Agassi was moving ok and looked healthy. Don't think he's timing the ball quite as well as he'd like yet though.

Thanks for that. :yeah:

Every time I see Feli practicing, he's yelling and complaining the entire time. I'm with Andre - its very amusing. :lol:

And I hope Rafa goes far - it will be tough after all that time off, but I hope he can make it to at least the QFs.

federated
02-26-2006, 05:56 PM

Umm, pictures??? :hearts: :hearts:

ezekiel
02-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Rafael Nadal has just given a press conference in Dubai. For details go to WWW.Inside-tennis.net

can you fix the video links on that website. I want to see some of them but the links are dead :sad:

SLICK
02-27-2006, 04:30 AM
can you fix the video links on that website. I want to see some of them but the links are dead :sad:
Ok,don't worry i will pass on your request to the editor.

veyonce
02-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Nadal practices patience in cautious recovery
Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:37 PM ET

By Barry Wood

DUBAI (Reuters) - World number two Rafael Nadal is prepared to be patient in only his second tournament since recovering from a career-threatening foot injury.

The Spanish teenager is competing at the Dubai Open this week after losing in the semi-finals in Marseille earlier this month when he returned from almost four months out of the game.

Nadal acknowledges it may be some time before he can return to the level he reached last year when he won 11 titles including the French Open.

"I don't feel at my best level yet, but that's normal after not playing for three months," he said.

"In Marseille I won some matches and that was very important for my confidence, for my comeback. I don't feel pain in my foot. That's the most important thing."

Nadal does not intend to change the all-out aggressive style that has made him a huge crowd favorite, despite the risk of further injuries.

"My game is my game and it is not easy to change that," Nadal said.

"I don't feel a lot of pressure on me now. For sure I want to play good, I want to win a lot of matches."

"But it's not easy when you've had no competition and been without play at the best level for three months."

"Now it's a comeback and I am very happy to still play. Every match is a special match for me."

While most of his rivals were playing at the Australian Open last month, Nadal visited the United States to help develop shoes that should prevent his injury occurring again.

"I flew from Mallorca to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Chicago, Chicago to Portland. I arrived at seven in the afternoon and went directly to do some tests on the foot," he said.

"I finished at 11 at night, had dinner and at six in the morning I went Portland to Chicago, Chicago to Munich, Munich to Barcelona, Barcelona to Mallorca."

"The shoe is not perfect yet. It's not the final version and there are a few more details to work on."

--------

2 articles from Emirates Today ePaper

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/3101/2702200604500600116kf.jpg

Nadal: Federer so far ahead of everybody

Ahmed Abbas Rizvi Sports Reporter

http://213.132.44.184/emiratestoday/default.aspx?selpg=172&page=27_02_2006_044.jpg&artHigh=4

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9131/2702200604800600913gj.th.jpg (http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2702200604800600913gj.jpg)

Rafael Nadal believes Roger Federer is simply unstoppable and leagues ahead of the other players on the Tour.

The Spanish dynamo ran Federer close in 2005, winning the same number of titles as the Swiss ace – 11. He also dealt the world No 1 one of his four defeats last year at the French Open.

But world No 2 Nadal still admits Federer is the undisputed king of men’s tennis.

“He is an unbelievable player, the best now and one of the bestever,” says Nadal. “He is so far ahead of everybody else.” Nadal, however, will still be looking to stop Federer from ruling in Dubai again.

“I played against Federer in Miami three years ago and won,” he said. “When I am playing good, I can win on any surface."

“It [the DDF Men’s Open] is one of the best tournaments in the year. There are some unbelievable players here. It is going to be really interesting and that is good for Dubai and for tennis.” Nadal is seeded to meet Federer in the final, but has a tricky first round test against PaulHenri Mathieu.

“I had a close match against Mathieu in Marseille [in the quarter-finals] and I will have to play at my best to get past him,” he said. “I didn’t play at my best level in that event because I was coming back after three months.

“But I won some matches that were important for my confidence. I did not feel any pain in my foot and that is the most important thing. I am still not at 100 per cent and not playing as well as I would like to, but there is no pressure on me. I want to play good and win a lot of matches, but I am making a comeback.” Federer is chasing his fourth Dubai crown, and feeling confident after taking a rest following his Australian Open success.

“Hopefully it is going to payoff,” he said. “I hope I can always defend titles or win titles I haven’t won yet, and just play a good season, win many matches.

“I enjoy that and have no trouble with motivation.”

--------

It’s the time of ‘El Nino Fenomenal’
AHMED ABBAS RIZVI SPORTS REPORTER

http://213.132.44.184/emiratestoday/default.aspx?selpg=172&page=27_02_2006_044.jpg&artHigh=4

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/3289/2702200604400300110oy.th.jpg (http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2702200604400300110oy.jpg)

Guess what is Rafael Nadal’s wish for 2006? To dethrone Roger Federer from the top of men’s tennis? To defend his title at the French Open and add a Wimbledon crown? Sorry mate, but if you nodded to that you could not be further from the truth. His wish is more selfless and sublime – “that the world becomes a better place!” No wonder, everyone loves Nadal – his opponents as well as his friends; young boys and greying, middle-aged men; teenage girls and their mums. Even those he has just roughed up on court think he is a lovely bloke.

To say that Nadal has earned his devotees would be an understatement. If it wasn’t for a certain Roger Federer, 2005 would have gone down as the year of “El Nino Fenomenal” (the phenomenal kid), who won 11 titles, including the French Open, and reached the world No 2 ranking.

He also had a memorable 19th birthday – a stunning win over Federer in the Roland Garros semi-final that left the Swiss ace shaking his head in disbelief.

The master had been whipped, unable to deal with Nadal’s persistence and unable to make a dent in the Spaniard’s armourplated confidence.

The battering was such that Federer later said he would never win the French Open while Nadal is in the Paris line-up.

“I find it very hard to believe that he said this,” says Nadal. “Federer is such a great champion. No, I don’t believe that he thinks this."

“I really don’t know if I can win the French Open again this year. It’s too hard to tell due to my current situation. I don’t believe that I will become the No 1 in the world, by the way.” But then, he never thought he would be world No 2 in 2005. His goal was a lot more modest top 30 year-end finish. Starting 2005 as world No 51, Nadal powered his way up the rankings and is now settled in as the next best thing to Federer.

Reflecting on a magical year, Nadal says: “I think that everything has happened quite fast and no-one expected it… not even me. I have been working hard and the most important thing is that I was healthy for most of the year and played my best tennis.” This year, Nadal is recovering from a foot injury that blighted the end of a perfect 2005, forcing him to pull out of the season-ending Shanghai Masters. He also had to skip the Australian Open and played his event after four months in Marseille three weeks ago. But Nadal feels no pressure on him to do an encore of 2005.

“I am still young and have a lot of things to learn,” he explains. “Obviously one day I would like to be the No 1. But as I say, I still have a long way to go and a lot of things to improve in my game."

“At the moment, I don’t really feel the pressure yet. I’m going through a difficult time right now as a result of the injury. My highest priority now is for my body to recover completely.” Pressure is alien to Nadal’s nature – he enjoys his tennis and likes to win “having fun”.

“Don’t ask me why I’m like that,” he says. “It’s a natural habit. My uncle, my parents, my family always told me that the most important thing was to fight, fight, fight. And never, how do you say it in English? Ah, yeah, never give up, never quit. I love to compete and once you are competing, you want to win. And I just love playing tennis.” When fully fit, the 19-year-old prodigy – or niño prodigio, as they say in Spain – is unstoppable. He wins his battles really and truly, with passion and poise, winning friends and enemies at the same time. Nike, very cleverly, has designed a piratesque and irreverent outfit especially for him – bright, colourful sleeveless t-shirts and tight Capri pants to go with the bandanas.The outfit almost certainly matches Nadal’s on-court personality.

He is a dynamo, or rather the Duracell bunny, bursting with contagious enthusiasm and energy. With his 168 pounds of muscle – including those rippling biceps – Nadal’s on-court persona is peerless. It makes Jimmy Connors look like a sissy and Boris Becker seem like a wimp.

A PROFESSIONAL LEVEL

He tears his opponents to pieces on-court, but off-court he’s sweet and shy, and almost intimidated by the “Nadalmania” that is sweeping across the globe. Fame and fortune have not turned the young man’s head, and he credits his two uncles – Toni and Miguel – for that.

“They both have been great for me, especially my uncle Toni who is with me at all times.What they taught me is important – not only at a professional level, but also at a personal one.” Miguel Angel Nadal, known as “the Beast of Barcelona”, is a former Spanish football national centre-back, and he was the first star of the family. He made sure his nephew does not become “too snobby or anything”.

“He [Miguel] has helped me keep my feet on the ground,” says Nadal. “He has been a big part of my family and my life. He is a very calm guy and knows how to keep everything balanced and he makes sure that I do not get carried away with myself.” Toni is Nadal’s coach. He played tennis to a reasonable standard in Spain and ended up as the coach of his local club in Manacor, Mallorca.

Tennis was never Nadal’s first love – he much preferred watching football to tennis. But oneday, the sports-mad kid tried his hand at tennis and decided he liked it. And the rest, to use a cliché, is the stuff of legends.

Football, though, still has a piece of Nadal’s heart and Real Madrid and Real Mallorca are his favourite clubs.

“For Madrid, things aren’t going as well as we were hoping. But they have hired a lot of young players and it’s clear that you cannot have a solid team right away.

“As far as Real Mallorca is concerned – the club is in a difficult position, but I have faith that they will get back on track again.” Will he be travelling to Germany to watch the World Cup then? “Sadly, I’m not sure yet if I will have the time for that,” he says. “But if I am able to go, it sure will be very special to me.” Besides football, Nadal also loves golf and an early round is an “ideal” start to the day for him. He also carries his laptop and PlayStation with him wherever he goes.

“Apart from your racquets, I always tend to bring my computer along as well as my PlayStation,” he reveals. “It gets a bit too boring for me otherwise.”

FOND MEMORIES

If he has got his clubs along, Nadal will hardly feel bored in Dubai. World-class golf courses dot the city, and the Spaniard, who plays off a handicap of 21, can walk the greens that Tiger Woods and Ernie Els have graced.

Nadal was in Dubai in 2004 and has fond memories of the city. This time around, it is the ski slope at the Mall of the Emirates that has got him excited. “I had a great time here in Dubai [in 2004] and I think the place is very beautiful, with a lot of things to do.

“I haven’t thought of anything specific [to do in Dubai], but I am sure we will find a great activity to do there since there is so much to do here. I heard you can ski in the shopping mall!” he added excitedly.

Nadal, however, will get no greater pleasure in Dubai than getting through the semis into the final. He is drawn to meet American showman Andre Agassi in the last-four – the man he beat in the Montreal final last year to make “a dream come true”.

SWISS MAESTRO

“Agassi has been playing for years and he’s one of the best,” says Nadal. “I got the chance to play against him in the final of the Masters Series in Montreal.

“Things went well for me and I won the tournament, my first win on hardcourt. It was a dream come true.” But nothing would bring him greater joy than to beat Swiss maestro Federer in the final. No event could dream up a better finale then Federer and Nadal in battle, at their entertaining best.

Nadal is perfectly capable of denying Federer a fourth successive Dubai crown. But even the most reckless punter would think twice. And will the Spaniard be fit enough to test the man who has been universally crowned the “greatest”?

Time will tell that. But what we do know is that Nadal will give more than his best. For, as he says, the most important thing for him is “to fight, fight, fight… never give up, never quit".