are you a fairweather fan? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

are you a fairweather fan?

federated
02-25-2006, 06:44 PM
I hate to think that I am...but upon reflection maybe I am. I have been a fan of feli lopez since wimbledon but lately his wack results and tacky new hairdo have made me care (much) less. Same with Blake lately, too (though I like the bald look on him)

I also did a switch today on justine--I was severely anti-justine after the AO final, but I watched the Dubai final today and could not help but root for her. The girl's just got SO MUCH damn game.

(:woohoo: christophe rochus through to the finals at rotterdam!!! :hug: )

Horatio Caine
02-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Well I'm still a huge fan of Henman so I think I have answered your question there! :lol: :help:

Geniey2g
02-25-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm still a James Blake fan, have been for years, even through his awful 2004/05 and his recovery (both tennis & personal)- it was really rewarding to see him win his latest two titles- fairweather fans suck booty!! :D:D.

NATAS81
02-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Joachim Johansson will win his grand slam. Just wait.

Pea
02-25-2006, 07:09 PM
I have my mind set on favs no matter what. But of course it helps to have so many favs.;)

Nathaliia
02-26-2006, 12:44 AM
Joachim Johansson will win his grand slam. Just wait.
so will Michael Ryderstedt

I am a supporter forever.

Experimentee
02-26-2006, 12:53 AM
No I like my faves whether they are winning or losing. I even supported Agassi when he sucked.

Nathaliia
02-26-2006, 01:15 AM
:yeah: Upcoming Pole?
yeah, half-Pole actually.

And back to subject, I never leave my fave players even if they suck so much that it might be unbearable. There must be personal reasons for me to stop liking a person, and so far only one faced it. I even didn't stop liking Coria when he's getting more and more ass each week.

Nathaliia
02-26-2006, 01:25 AM
What do you mean getting more ass? You mean his clay court dominance? He can only get so much ass since he's gotta play repeatedly and I don't think he'd want too much ass.

ANYWAY - my FAVE players are mostly injured so I probably shouldn't be too hardcore on this topic to begin with.
I am tired (following a dumb WTA match cos Polish girl plays final and chokes) and I expressed in shorter form by calling Coria "ass" - he's not only losing his game and makes thousands of doublefaults. There is still magic in his game. But he is a wild weird animal in behaviour. Covers his face, runs away nearby the group of fans, people from team don't want to talk to him, except Martin Garcia a double player :lol: (at least in Sopot). he was also that clever that was changing practise session hours to be not caught. In fact , there were only about 30 fans including ballkids but he had to hide all the week to not to sign any single autograph, and really nobody wanted to force on him, his wildness was hilarious after a moment.

aceit
02-26-2006, 02:11 AM
Mardy Fish is one of my favorite players, so I think that answers the question. ;)

Scotso
02-26-2006, 02:24 AM
No.

Peta Pan
02-26-2006, 02:28 AM
And for me it's Andrei Pavel... other than Davis Cup and the AO 1st round he hasn't won a match this year. Definitely not a fairweather fan here :)

basil333
02-26-2006, 03:44 AM
no :)

chicky841
02-26-2006, 03:55 AM
lol, no im not a fairweather fan. take a look at my signature, i think thats proof enough. Though im not sure why I pick the players I do.

~EMiLiTA~
02-26-2006, 04:30 AM
no.

in fact certain players have put me off since they've started to do better and become arrogant pricks

basil333
02-26-2006, 04:42 AM
lol, no im not a fairweather fan. take a look at my signature, i think thats proof enough. Though im not sure why I pick the players I do.

Easy they all have their personal unique characters ;)

I♥PsY@Mus!c
02-26-2006, 05:43 AM
I hate to think that I am...but upon reflection maybe I am. I have been a fan of feli lopez since wimbledon but lately his wack results and tacky new hairdo have made me care (much) less. Same with Blake lately, too (though I like the bald look on him)

I also did a switch today on justine--I was severely anti-justine after the AO final, but I watched the Dubai final today and could not help but root for her. The girl's just got SO MUCH damn game.

(:woohoo: christophe rochus through to the finals at rotterdam!!! :hug: )
Totally understand what you said! :rocker2:
Honestly,I look like I'm sometimes.We're just his fan,not his gf. :shrug: When other players are coming up and you find you like them at first sight,sometimes it's true you care less the old ones who doesn't play well. :smoke: Juan Carlos has been struggling over 2 years,I don't see his fire on court,his looks and his charm fades away,now his hairstyle sucks.Sometimes it's so difficult to find the reason to like him too much.Also Paulo,probably he can't recover from his confidence after DC,always blows chance and loses to his countryman,looks very depressed all the time, :yawn: I don't know why I liked him before.But I won't give up to cheer for them,esp Paulo,but he indeed wins some big matches to awaken his confidence. :fiery:

Action Jackson
02-26-2006, 05:54 AM
No.

El Legenda
02-26-2006, 06:02 AM
i became a Ljubicic fan last year when he was 17 straight matchs :lol:

Action Jackson
02-26-2006, 06:06 AM

I thought you became a fan when he beat Roddick last year :)

I♥PsY@Mus!c
02-26-2006, 06:11 AM
I think it's earlier. :scratch:
I become his fan when he challenged Federer and beat USA in DC! :rocker2:

Ferrero Forever
02-26-2006, 07:02 AM
I'm a Ferrero fan, the first match I saw him play (Australian Open 2004 Semifinal against Federer) he lost, but I thought he was amazing anyway. And I've been a mad fan of him since, and he hasn't done great since then. Then theres Lopez who'd be my second fave, and after that Verdasco and Garcia-Lopez. They don't win all the time so I don't think I am.

enqvistfan
02-26-2006, 08:50 AM
Thomas Enqvist is still my favourite player, even if the avatar doesn't show it. He's not playing at the moment, but we hope to see him back. I have always supported my faves in the good and the bad moments !!

JustmeUK
02-26-2006, 09:02 AM
nope.. I'll watch Fed any day of course but I'm equally staunch in my support of Gonzalez and Safin (Haas/Ferrrero/Gasquet to a less extent). I hate it when they are playing at the same time in an event and I have to choose who I have to watch.

Mechlan
02-26-2006, 09:10 AM
Hell yes.

mallorn
02-26-2006, 11:53 AM
No. I stick by my favourites through thick and thin. :)

Jenrios
02-26-2006, 01:45 PM
I am finding it very hard to find a replacement for Rios..........try as I might!

Geniey2g
02-26-2006, 02:29 PM
no.

in fact certain players have put me off since they've started to do better and become arrogant pricks
like?

Geniey2g
02-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Hell yes.
lol! telling it like it is :cool:

Horatio Caine
02-26-2006, 02:34 PM

:haha: :haha: I can't say I really noticed him much when he was out of the top 20...never stayed long in top events (still doesn't in most of them :tape: )...but I guess I would frown when the predictable result was displayed: Ljubicic def Henman... :mad:

silverwhite
02-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Yes, I am!

I♥PsY@Mus!c
02-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Yes, I am!
:eek::eek::eek: Very straightforward!

Scotso
02-26-2006, 04:20 PM
no.

I agree, once players become successful I usually stop liking them as much.

NicoFan
02-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Definitely not a fairweather fan.

I stick with my favorites through the good, the bad, and the ugly. ;)

atheneglaukopis
02-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Patiently counting down 'til 2010, when Marat's next five-year plan takes effect, hopefully with RG. Then he can retire at Andre's age with that pesky Wimbledon under his belt (suspect he needs lots of time to get sufficiently used to grass). :lol:

stebs
02-26-2006, 06:29 PM
I'm not one in that I support all my faves through thick and thin but I am in that I tend to like higher ranked players because their games are more interesting and better to watch.

helen phillips
02-26-2006, 06:36 PM
No but I get a little pissy in the midst of the loss but I always snap out of it. If they can live with a loss who am I to hold onto it? It must be an incredibly fun way to make a living but it isn't hard to see how difficult it is in some respects either.

chicky841
02-27-2006, 01:37 AM
Easy they all have their personal unique characters ;)

lol ya that is a big part of y i pick them.

Angle Queen
02-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Well I'm still a huge fan of Henman so I think I have answered your question there! :lol: :help:Ditto here. :rolleyes: Let's go Tim!!!

Also a fan of Hewitt...through thick and thin; Kim, now Bec; #1, now barely Top 10.

And Johnny Mac is quoted in my sig. I hold loyalties for a looooong, looooong time.

Vass
02-27-2006, 02:08 PM
I tend to be a fan of players who can potentially be on the top, but for some reason they are all 'oafs', who are close to rock-bottom pretty often.

Lou_Lou_Ferrero
02-28-2006, 10:28 AM
absolutely not! my faves put me through hell but i still support them and love them

Kristen
02-28-2006, 11:04 AM
To be honest, the first thing I thought was:

YES! I love Simon Fairweather even though I haven't heard of him in years, he did great at the Olympics way back when!
http://slam.canoe.ca/2000GamesArcheryImages/fairweather3_sep20.jpg http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200407/r26073_64546.jpg

On second thoughts... no. I am a realist and expect bad days at the office, as well as good. Just see my signature and it will make sense :tape:. It's their inconsistency/fight/drive that holds onto my support, not results. I guess 'treat em mean, keep em keen' means something, in this context.

sigmagirl91
02-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Definitely not "fairweather". I'm a loyal person, and I tend to stick with my faves through thick, thin, rain, or shine.

Godiva
02-28-2006, 11:49 AM
I just know that Guga and Guille will be back. I just know. :p Luckily, I'm a fan of Gael, Richie, Marcos, Tomas, Marat. I'm no longer a fan of Haas. :mad: His personality stinks.

*julie*
02-28-2006, 07:58 PM
No I am not. I am even not able to v-bet against my faves... :o That means something!

But changing my avatar is a good way for me to relieve my anger.
;)

TNX1.0E6TOPCA
02-28-2006, 08:49 PM
No I am not. I am even not able to v-bet against my faves... :o That means something!

But changing my avatar is a good way for me to relieve my anger.
;)
Hiya Julie :wavey: I knew it... you're a sweetheart :hug:

stebs
02-28-2006, 09:38 PM
I tend to be a fan of players who can potentially be on the top, but for some reason they are all 'oafs', who are close to rock-bottom pretty often.

Well, of course they will always be the most supported because they are the most interesting players.

Sparko1030
03-02-2006, 04:48 AM
That would be a big NO! :lol: I became a Nico fan after I watched him win the gold and was so excited about the guy. He then proceded to have a series of injuries and a subsequent rotten year. I stuck it out and he's back to his winning ways. :woohoo: And I will be the same with my other favorites because for me its not just about the winning. Its about feeling some connection as silly as that sounds-seeing something in the player that I like and supporting them.

Nathaliia
03-02-2006, 06:37 AM
haha me too :D

Castafiore
03-02-2006, 07:31 AM
I'm a Malisse fan. That should say enough.

Further proof: in cycling, I'm a Jan Ullrich fan and I supported Jan through every stupid mistake he made, every time he started the Tour de France underprepared and overweight (even if my reaction to that is :shout: ) and each and every time he was beaten solidly by Armstrong & co. Even if I tried (and at a certain point, I was so frustrated with Ullrich that I wished I was a fairweather fan because it would have been so much easier on the Tour de France to support Armstrong), I could not stop wishing him to get good results.
Why do I keep supporting him: for those few glimpses we get of his natural born talent (a bit like Malisse really).

flip_fan
03-02-2006, 07:45 AM
mark fan since '96... enough said.

Alexiana
03-02-2006, 10:32 AM
mark fan since '96... enough said.

I like him to :sad:

I wanted to remind you that you spelled Haas wrong in your sig. That way it means hatred in German ;)

I'm not a fairweather fan. I like Haas, Kiwi, Flip and they had so many bad bad times when everything was going wrong. Although it was hard I sticked to them :worship: and probably will, till they retire

silverwhite
03-02-2006, 10:41 AM

What are you trying to say? :ras:

Nathaliia
03-02-2006, 12:46 PM
now we're starting a bandwagon for Adrian Mannarino from France :secret:
no fairweather fans invited! :fiery: :lol:

purple_star
03-02-2006, 05:32 PM
the fact that coria is still in my avatar even if his results are killing me, answers that question.
i will support and love him no matter what.. that's the essence of being a real fan.. :)

*julie*
03-03-2006, 02:23 AM
What are you trying to say? :ras:
:lol:
Didn't you say that you are a fairweather fan? :devil:

moonlightguard
03-03-2006, 03:40 AM

Was a fan of Justine's then (post AO Final), and still a fan of Justine's :D!

Sadly I only started watching Tennis in 2003 when Roger first won Wimbledon. And I have been rooting for Roger ever since.

My favs are Roger and Justine, and they will always be Roger and Justine :worship:.

robrulz5
03-03-2006, 04:02 AM
I'm not a fairweather fan.

A big fan of Agassi and he isn't doing too well at the moment.

I'm also still hoping the Scud can make a big comeback!!!

silverwhite
03-03-2006, 08:06 AM
:lol:
Didn't you say that you are a fairweather fan? :devil:

You know what I was trying to say. :angel:

Puschkin
03-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Does the question imply that every fan of Roger is a fair-weather-fan? ;) With Marat, JCF and Richard, I feel my share of storms is big enough.

Lee
03-03-2006, 09:58 AM
My top 2 favourite active players are Guga and Schuettler.

enough said.