Will Thomas Johansson qualify for the Tennis Masters Cup? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Thomas Johansson qualify for the Tennis Masters Cup?

Leo7
08-05-2002, 08:45 PM
since his shocking Australian Open win, he has only gone downhill. such lacklusters results, especially in the big events. right now he stands at only #11 in the Champions' Race, practically all of his points coming from the AO. and unless he can turn around this incredible slump, he might not qualify for Shanghai.

question: must Thomas stay in the Champions' Race Top 20 or the Entry System Top 20 to make it in? it's a big difference! i think he's still in the Entry System Top 10...

i just really DON'T want to see Johansson in Shanghai this year. he doesn't deserve to be there with players like Hewitt, Safin, and Agassi!

Layla
08-05-2002, 08:48 PM
Don't worry. You probably won't, if he keeps losing like this. But in all fairness, he has been injured, hasn't he?

Leo7
08-05-2002, 08:51 PM
yeah, i think he's had a knee injury.

Goonergal
08-05-2002, 09:17 PM
Doesn't he get a wildcard anyway? i thought all GS Winners automatically get into Shanghai(Like Goran Last year)

Leo7
08-05-2002, 09:25 PM
i think you have to stay in the Top 20 of the Entry System to qualify! the only way he doesn't make it in is if he falls out of the Top 20 by the Masters Cup in November.

last year Goran was ranked high enough to get in automatically!

Goonergal
08-05-2002, 09:28 PM
Ah! Thanx

Scotso
08-05-2002, 09:34 PM
He won't fall out of the top 20.

You don't think he deserves to be there? Well, you must not think much then. Johansson is an amazing player, and won a grand slam. He deserves to be there.

Chloe le Bopper
08-05-2002, 09:43 PM
Well if he doesnt do anything else all year then he deserves to be there as much as Goran did last year.

Which was also debatable.

Martin
08-06-2002, 12:07 AM
If Johansson isn't careful and get some points between now and the end of the year, his ranking could be in real trouble if he goes out early in the Australian Open next year. It would be a sort of similar scenario as Arnaud Clement, had a fantastic Aussie Open last year, then didn't do much else for the rest of the year, and that's why his ranking and confidence is struggling just now.

Chloe le Bopper
08-06-2002, 12:41 AM
Martin I thought of Clement whe I read that first little bit that you wrote :) Then of course you brought him up ;)

Thomas is better than he performs, he almost always has been if you give or take a few tournaments where he performed up to his level.

I'm not sure how I feel about slam winners practically getting auto enterance, but then again if slams are the biggest tournies it would make sense that all 4 winners should be there.

TennisHack
08-06-2002, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Leo7
i just really DON'T want to see Johansson in Shanghai this year. he doesn't deserve to be there with players like Hewitt, Safin, and Agassi!

If I had to choose someone to not go to Shanghai, it would be Albert Costa. He plays horribly on hard courts.

Now is that fair?

I think Thomas should be able to go if he's eligible. The Australian Open was incredible this year, and he has been struggling with a knee injury lately.

TheBoiledEgg
08-06-2002, 08:23 AM
He will only qualify for the Masters Cup if
Albert Costa finishes in the Top 7 of the Champions Race

otherwise the higher of the two will get the WC

not all SLAM winners get in ( but most do end up in the Top 7)

Nimi
08-07-2002, 11:07 AM
Thomas Johansson is an excellent player with an incredible serve! (the guy is only 1.80).
He won b2b titles last year ON GRASS! Who else does this? & dont Pete me! :p

Nacho
08-07-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Leo7

Ahem, Safin hasn't even won a title this year, so how can he deserve to be there instead of a GS Champion?

dbc
08-07-2002, 02:06 PM
Leo: Reckon you are right and as long as he keeps up a certain standard, he'll get a WC.
But at the rate he's going, it could be doubtful

TheBoiledEgg
08-07-2002, 02:39 PM
Marat is world #2

Sonic
08-07-2002, 08:10 PM
I have to say I don't think he should be there. I also don't think Costa will stay in the top 7.

AtPGiRL
08-09-2002, 02:28 AM
I think Costa has a better chance of going to Shanghai than TJ.. At least COsta has had better results for the whole year than TJ.. and TJ has to stay in the top 20 in the CHAMPIONS RACE to qualify, but if Costa is ranked higher than him, he won't get in! So.. C'mon AL! :p

LOL! I never thought I'd be cheering for Al :rolleyes:

but then again, I never thought I'd be cheering for Taylor Dent either.:rolleyes: like I was in Cincinnati for him to beat Johansson! :D :rolleyes:

Lily
08-09-2002, 10:53 AM
the adult me- I think all slam winners should be there, regardless of their results the rest of the year. It may not be fair, but its the right thing.

the real me- Johansson and Costa going to Shanghai? You cannot be serious!

Nimi
08-09-2002, 11:42 AM
Well I think Costa might just stay in the top 7.... It happend before u know..

tennischick
08-12-2002, 01:38 PM
Now that Moya has won Cincinati...:

We have to note another player who is likely to suffer as a result of Moya's win: Thomas Johansson. Johansson is down to #13 in the Race now, and has almost no chance of making the Masters Cup directly. But Moya's move ties him with Albert Costa in the ATP Race. And Costa is only eight points ahead of Juan Carlos Ferrero, and not much ahead of Andy Roddick and Guillermo Canas and Roger Federer and Tommy Haas, most of whom should do better than Costa in the fall events.

In other words, the odds are growing higher by the week that neither Costa nor Johansson will be in the top seven in the Race when the year ends, and that means one of them won't go to Shanghai.

And the one who won't will probably be Johansson.
www.tennisone.com

Nimi
08-12-2002, 07:05 PM
Ya that's right, but if were talking indoor courts here than Thomas is actually the better player. Its pretty sad you know, last year he won two titles & was sooooooooo under-estimated, i actually thought he will do some 4th round or quarterfinal in the US Open in 2001

TheBoiledEgg
08-13-2002, 09:57 AM
if Johansson doesn't do much from now till end of season, he will be the 2002 cinderella and he will turn back into a pumpkin after the 2003 AUS Open (the rate he is going down to about 40 if the worst occurs)

Johansson is 10 times better than Costa indoors but he is more than 120 pts behind him, so chances of him catching Albert is pretty slim unless he turns things around big time.

amornpun_p
08-13-2002, 11:27 AM
I don't know, But i think he'll be autimatically qualified. 'cause he won at OZ open(that's all?) But after winning at aussie open. His performence was getting lower and lower. But as the grand slam champion, that's the reson he'll be qualified.
PS. I would like to know. Do you think thomas johansson is handsome? someone in my country think so.

TennisHack
08-13-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by amornpun_p
PS. I would like to know. Do you think thomas johansson is handsome? someone in my country think so.

Well, I think he's adorable. Not really hot or sexy, but adorable. Huggable :D

Uh, I blame TV deprivation during the Aussie Open. Yeah.

Dissident
08-13-2002, 11:48 PM
He is saying he is facing HUGE problems with his shoulder. Being his game a lot based on his serve, its understandable why his year is like this. But still, you dont win a Grand Slam if you´re not good. You never know when he can come back to that form. That was like :eek: what he did in Australia! :)