The "rant here until Andy's next tournament" thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "rant here until Andy's next tournament" thread

Pages : [1] 2

Noelle
02-25-2006, 12:41 PM
:p

It's better than moping around, right?

blosson
02-25-2006, 12:49 PM
The tourney threads are not lasting these days, even the mickey mouse ones.

morningglory
02-25-2006, 04:02 PM
:lol:
care to bet as to how far he'll go in the next tournament?

snaillyyy
02-25-2006, 04:52 PM
I am setting my expectations low...making it past his practice partner is good for me:devil:;)

Katdiva7
02-25-2006, 05:17 PM
I am going to TTC Open and I was so excited up until now. I'm only going for the Quaters through the Final, with the way Andy is playing he won't even make it to the Quaters :(

Deboogle!.
02-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Andy's not even playing Vegas. He pulled out Thursday night according to the people who have access to the player lists

Sorry :( :( :(

Jennay
02-25-2006, 05:51 PM
If he doesn't play Vegas, what's next?

blosson
02-25-2006, 05:51 PM
I think it's IW, no?

Deboogle!.
02-25-2006, 05:53 PM
yeah IW Follows vegas, it just doesn't actually start til the Friday of the following week.

Andy will be out of the top 5 if he doesn't defend his IW points.

Jennay
02-25-2006, 06:05 PM
yeah IW Follows vegas, it just doesn't actually start til the Friday of the following week.

Andy will be out of the top 5 if he doesn't defend his IW points.
:sad:.

blosson
02-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Ouch. :(

Andy is physically fine and I can not believe he could not take advantage of the fact other top players are out of form. He could have earned loads of points.

guida
02-25-2006, 06:19 PM
I think Andy's in some kind of self-destructing phase right now. I'm sure he must be dealing with some serious issues to be acting like this. I just wish he'd come clean and let people know what's troubling him (I'm talking about the fans/media; I'm sure those close to him know already what it is).

Deboogle!.
02-25-2006, 06:21 PM
I don't think he has to talk publicly about what exactly is going on but he could at least admit that something IS going on. if that makes sense.

But then again, he has to be asked about it and the media's gotta be ballsy enough to try to ask him.

guida
02-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Yes, it wouldn't kill him to say something like: "I'm going through a difficult time in my private life right now and it's reflecting on the way I play. Please respect my right to privacy" or something like that. But you're right about the media, deb; it IS strange that they seem to be afraid to touch the subject.

Carito_90
02-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Huh? Who's Andy? What am I doing here?

Oh... the tennis... whats tennis again?

Deboogle!.
02-25-2006, 06:39 PM
It's hard to know - we don't get the full press conferences at these smaller tourneys. I'd think that if he were asked such a provocative question and if he actually answered it that the press would likely include something like that in their articles about the match, so one can probably assume he hasn't been asked anything so direct. But it's possible he may have been, I suppose.

Considering how catty Andy can be with them, it wouldn't be surprising if most journalists wouldn't want to ask him a question like "WTF IS GOING ON WITH YOU AND WHERE HAS YOUR GAME GONE" right after a loss.

williaer
02-25-2006, 08:14 PM
It's hard to know - we don't get the full press conferences at these smaller tourneys. I'd think that if he were asked such a provocative question and if he actually answered it that the press would likely include something like that in their articles about the match, so one can probably assume he hasn't been asked anything so direct. But it's possible he may have been, I suppose.

Considering how catty Andy can be with them, it wouldn't be surprising if most journalists wouldn't want to ask him a question like "WTF IS GOING ON WITH YOU AND WHERE HAS YOUR GAME GONE" right after a loss.
Imagine if Bud asked it... Andy would probably jump over the table thing and wring his neck...
I don't think questions like that will be coming from the press anytime soon...

surfpinky
02-25-2006, 08:16 PM
don't worry guys.
jen and I took care of andy (;

Deboogle!.
02-25-2006, 08:21 PM
Imagine if Bud asked it... Andy would probably jump over the table thing and wring his neck...
I don't think questions like that will be coming from the press anytime soon...Actually I think Bud could be one of the few who COULD get away with it. Charlie Bricker, Joel Drucker, maybe Matt Cronin are sme others. I mean, I was exaggerating. But I think the press could address the issue o the fact that he himself said he'd be more aggressive this year but hadn't. HE himself introduced that to the media at the start of the season, so he opened himself up to questions about that. So it'd be nice to see him asked about that :shrug:

Um Nat do I even wnana know what you did?

surfpinky
02-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Actually I think Bud could be one of the few who COULD get away with it. Charlie Bricker, Joel Drucker, maybe Matt Cronin are sme others. I mean, I was exaggerating. But I think the press could address the issue o the fact that he himself said he'd be more aggressive this year but hadn't. HE himself introduced that to the media at the start of the season, so he opened himself up to questions about that. So it'd be nice to see him asked about that :shrug:

Um Nat do I even wnana know what you did?
do you? |:

Deboogle!.
02-25-2006, 08:24 PM
You tell me if I do.......... |:

surfpinky
02-25-2006, 08:26 PM
|:

Deboogle!.
02-25-2006, 08:28 PM
:haha: oh THAT! I was in the chat last night when you drew that :lol:

surfpinky
02-25-2006, 08:29 PM
what did you originally thought I did? |:

|:

Deboogle!.
02-25-2006, 08:38 PM
I dunno, I thought there was something else I missed :p

Jennay
02-25-2006, 08:52 PM
don't worry guys.
jen and I took care of andy (;
:angel: |:

guida
02-25-2006, 08:56 PM
:haha: Nat and Jen. Cute drawing. :lol:

sadhbh
02-25-2006, 09:38 PM
love the drawings very artistic.

tangerine_dream
02-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Yes, it wouldn't kill him to say something like: "I'm going through a difficult time in my private life right now and it's reflecting on the way I play. Please respect my right to privacy" or something like that. But you're right about the media, deb; it IS strange that they seem to be afraid to touch the subject.
Do you blame them? Andy loves to bite their heads off :toothy: :devil:

Don't worry guys. :hug: Andy is obviously in a slump right now. I would be more concerned if he were playing *well* but still lost to the likes of Benneteau.

Ironically, the fact that Andy's playing so badly gives me some hope. I mean, there's nowhere to go but up now, right? His team is kind of in a mess, he doesn't have a real coach right now, he seems a bit lost as to what to do. Very disorganized, and I think he's suffering from too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak. Getting too much of an earful from too many people and that is confusing him out on the court. Instead of playing on instinct, he now may be thinking too much out there, and then he ends up confusing himself even more. Does that make sense?

Cheer up, ducklings. This slump won't last forever. And when he finally gets his act together, his successes will be even more sweet. :D

williaer
02-25-2006, 09:52 PM

Don't worry guys. :hug: Andy is obviously in a slump right now. I would be more concerned if he were playing *well* but still lost to the likes of Benneteau.

Ironically, the fact that Andy's playing so badly gives me some hope. I mean, there's nowhere to go but up now, right? His team is kind of in a mess, he doesn't have a real coach right now, he seems a bit lost as to what to do. Very disorganized, and I think he's suffering from too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak. Getting too much of an earful from too many people and that is confusing him out on the court. Instead of playing on instinct, he now may be thinking too much out there, and then he ends up confusing himself even more. Does that make sense?

Cheer up, ducklings. This slump won't last forever. And when he finally gets his act together, his successes will be even more sweet. :D

Makes perfect sense and I agree :)
Tangy nails it again!

superpinkone37
02-25-2006, 10:01 PM
Nat and Jen :haha: :kiss:

PinkFeatherBoa
02-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Digging the drawings, N@ and Jen. :kiss: :lol:

Noelle
02-26-2006, 12:06 AM
So will this become the Indian Wells thread in a week's time?

Deboogle!.
02-26-2006, 12:07 AM
If you want it to be...if you change the title when the time comes

Noelle
02-26-2006, 12:11 AM
OK. :)

Winston's Human
02-26-2006, 12:29 AM

Are you kidding? If Andy said something like that the media would be all over him until they wrung out every private detail.

Carito_90
02-26-2006, 03:35 AM

I absolutely agree Tangy, especially on the 'very disorganized' thing. It seems like he doesn't know where to head... what to do.

The thing about Andy being out of the top 5 if he doesn't defend his points in IW is just... I don't think I'll be able to deal with that. Andy's been up there since 2003... he can't. :sad:

Jimnik
02-26-2006, 03:56 AM
I think Andy might have a slight motivation problem. I think it all started at the end of 2004, when he played the Tennis Masters Cup and the Davis Cup final. He had basically been playing non-stop tennis for 3 years in a row and it started to affect him badly towards the end of last year.

I think a lot of players have suffered slumps in their careers. Lleyton Hewitt, in 2003, is the most recent example. Agassi had really bad problems in the late 90's.

Andy's situation isn't unusual. Hopefully it won't last very long. He has his IW semi-final points to defend. But, after that, he has almost nothing to defend. Miami and the clay court season will be a chance to gain some lost points.

belco
02-26-2006, 04:21 AM
he needs to take a breather

and get back to 100% and #1

partygirl
02-26-2006, 04:29 AM
I think Andy might have a slight motivation problem. I think it all started at the end of 2004, when he played the Tennis Masters Cupand the Davis Cup final..
that's exactly when i saw it too!
I think i can even pin point the match where i saw something very wrong,
it was the hewitt match that lasted like 30minutes...i had never really seen him give up like that before -from the inside out.

He even screamed- "im not gonna win this - i give up" in a very telling way:eek:
but then i had only been following him a little more than a year and a half.
...but still, it stuck out to me and continues to do so.

So will this become the Indian Wells thread in a week's time?
BRACE.
BRACE.
assume the crash position...head between the legs, prepare for crash landing.

im trying to be optimistic :rolleyes: :)

Devotee
02-26-2006, 05:09 AM
I think a lot of players have suffered slumps in their careers. Lleyton Hewitt, in 2003, is the most recent example. Agassi had really bad problems in the late 90's.

Serena & Venus Williams come to mind.

Deboogle!.
02-26-2006, 05:11 AM
I don't think they're similar to Andy, though. Andy's having confidence issues, but he's physically in shape and is working hard. Serena and Venus have declined because they are not 100% dedicated to tennis. So I dunno, I don't think that comparison is quite the same.

Devotee
02-26-2006, 05:15 AM
I don't think they're similar to Andy, though. Andy's having confidence issues, but he's physically in shape and is working hard. Serena and Venus have declined because they are not 100% dedicated to tennis. So I dunno, I don't think that comparison is quite the same.

I do think that Andy, Serena & Venus are similar in current lack of motivation.

Deboogle!.
02-26-2006, 05:17 AM
How exactly is Andy not motivated? I mean, unless he's lying about working so hard in the off-season and unless the Bryans are lying about how hard he's working off-court and stuff... I don't see how the two situations are at all similar. Andy's for sure having problems, but I don't think it's because he's not focused on tennis and is being distracted by all these outside things he has going on. He hasn't shown up at tournaments inexplicably unfit or fatigued or injured or unfocused... he just has no confidence.

jackieglover
02-26-2006, 05:23 AM
Yeah, he's just too mentally weak right now. The slightest bit of adversity during a match seems to do him in at this point. Getting through tough matches usually helps the cause, but it didn't seem to be the case during Memphis as each match was a tight one.

Devotee
02-26-2006, 05:23 AM
How exactly is Andy not motivated?

On the tennis court while playing a match, he doesn't seem motivated.
Didn't Fee say the other night he seemed not to care?
At the AO against Baghdatis he just gave up.

Also, IMO bad body language can indicate lack of motivation.

Deboogle!.
02-26-2006, 05:27 AM
But it's all mental. It's not like he's not motivated to do well. He's putting in the work, unlike the Williamses. Maybe he's not doing anything for his mental issues but at least he's recognizing things aren't going well and he changed coaches and whatever.

If you interpret his body language and whatever to be lack of motivation, that's your opinion. I don't agree. I just think he doesn't have the confidence and mental fortuity to make mid-match adjustments so when the going gets tough, he just sort of goes away. It's different in a match like Arthurs where it was close b/c Arthurs was serving so big so Andy knew he'd probably have his chance if he hung in there. But because he hasn't got the confidence to step up, particularly off the ground, his body language gets bad and stuff. It's not like he walks out on court looking defeated.. it happens during a match that gets tight, and that's why to me it doesn't signify a lack of motivation - at least not the same kind of distracted lack of motivation that the Williamses seem to have right now.

J. Corwin
02-26-2006, 05:53 AM
Serena & Venus Williams come to mind.

I'm a fan of both Andy and Venus but I don't think they have the same issues. :) Venus, as much as I like her, is stubborn and won't train hard enough to bring out her potential in tennis. Andy...well...maybe he's stubborn too in that he isn't seeking outside help (ie shrink!) to do something about his shittastic game right now. But he, unlike Vee, is willing to put in all the hard work, it's just that he doesn't know his forehead from his forehand at the moment. :(

And like I've said before...Andy needs to suck in helium or whatever to jump start his game.

Serena needs to suck in her gut. ;)

williaer
02-26-2006, 05:54 AM
Devotee, I'm going to have to disagree with you...
I'm pretty gutted at the moment with how Andy is performing, and hell, I'm frustrated too. But I don't think any of this is a result of lack of hard work. We've heard Andy say a billion times that he's working super hard, Dean and Doug have both said he does, the Bryans have (and they never lie :p ) and even our favourite Brad Gilbert has talked numerous times about how hard and motivated Andy works. Brad has even talked in awe about Andy's hard work after the split, where he can speak as honest as he damn well likes.

The Williams sisters are the perfect example of non-motivated people... after Serena lost this year @ the AO, I saw her in the hallway just after the match and she looked bloody happy to be getting the hell out of Melbourne. Andy takes his losses hard (generally) and I think what you're describing as lack of motivation is just Andy being totally stumped as to why he's playing like shit -and also lack of confidence. It's quite the vicious circle; when he plays like shit, he has no confidence and therefore doesn't go for shots leading losing more matches and more confidence.

I think he's just going through a rough patch in his career and it's going to take a fair bit to get out of it. As Tangy said (so perfectly) before, Andy is probably thinking too much and is being given too many opinions and is just a little confuzzled as to what to do now. As frustrated as I am, I still have faith that he will crawl out of his slump.

blosson
02-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Andy has a peanut brain and needs time (like 2 years and still counting) to digest things... oh Andy. :o

Jimnik
02-26-2006, 01:41 PM
he needs to take a breather

and get back to 100% and #1
Strangely, I think that might be a good idea. I don't know when he should take it but, at some point this year, I think he should try to take 2-3 months out.

Maybe he should consider skipping the clay court season. He could then try to make a come-back for the grass court season. I think a fresh start could be all that he needs to get himself out of this mess.

Deboogle!.
02-26-2006, 02:16 PM
it's just that he doesn't know his forehead from his forehand at the moment. :( DEAD

I love you Jace, that has to go in my sig.

Winston's Human
02-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Strangely, I think that might be a good idea. I don't know when he should take it but, at some point this year, I think he should try to take 2-3 months out.

Maybe he should consider skipping the clay court season. He could then try to make a come-back for the grass court season. I think a fresh start could be all that he needs to get himself out of this mess.

That would not be a bad idea since Andy only has a few points to defend between Houston and Queens.

Given his current form, it is unlikely that Andy would garner many points during the European clay court season.

Deboogle!.
02-26-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm not saying I disagree, but would taking a break really make a difference? He had 2 months off in the off-season, allegedly worked harder and had a better off-season than he'd ever had, was more excited than ever to start 2006, and all of that stuff lasted for about 3 matches.

I just don't know what it would accomplish?

superpinkone37
02-26-2006, 08:18 PM
That's true...but at the same time, he needs to make some progress on clay. He CAN play decently on clay, a lot of it is just mental. I don't think skipping the clay season just because he's not very good on it would be such a good idea. That's just running scared..:p

heya
02-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Don't worry, y'all.
If his brother's injured, his mother's his practice partner.

He wins in the Andy Roddick Foundation axhibition. He wins at life! :o

superpinkone37
02-26-2006, 09:41 PM
:haha:

guida
02-26-2006, 09:55 PM
:rolls:

Caren
02-26-2006, 11:06 PM
I just don't know what to say about him anymore. I've said everything i needed to say about him at nauseum. I don't agree that he should take an extensive break from the game, to me that doesn't make sense, he may not have many points to defend in the clay court season but he has a lot more to gain. Like Tangy said he's hit bottom (i can only imagine, if there was any further down then i'd actually be serious in saying he should retire) and so there's only up to go. I can't see him being like this all year, he's in a slump fair enough, take this week...have a few days off then get out and hit some balls maybe wednesday/thursday.

The only way his confidence is gonna be built is on the court, you can't rebuild confidence in a sport by not playing it that doesn't make sense. I think its fairly obvious that it'll be a long time, if he even will, before he'll see anybody to fix his head, so we can only hope that he'll do it himself.
Although she/he does it in a round about sort of way i tend to agree with Heya on the family support thing, i know you can't beat you're son or brother when they're down (i mean that metaphorically not physically) but they should be telling him to leave things out of his schedule to make way for more tennis practices etc. Forget about the exhibitions and all the charity appearences, yes its nice to see him out of tennis but not if its gonna effect his tennis. I think his family have a lot to answer for in that over the last number of years they've helped make obligations (contract or otherwise) for Andy to appear at a certain number of things and now that Andy realises he can't be the guy that goes to LA to do a tv appearence on the friday, talk about how good the game is, be the all round nice guy and have a tournament in europe on the monday (not that thats happened again i'm speaking metaphorically) and i think now he feels that if he pulls from these things it reflects badly on him and so he makes himself to do these things while his career takes a sharp nosedive to the ground.

I don't know, he just seriously needs to sit down and think, in the next year do i wanna be the number 1 tennis player, or the number 1 celebrity!!

Wow a lot of writing and no smilies damn i'm getting really philosophical, damn you Andy why do you make me overthink? :( (had to have at least one)

heya
02-27-2006, 01:41 AM
:bowdown: Caren

confidence doesn't just happen after hearing,
"You're not talented enough. You're a leader. Hit harder."

Confidence comes from knowing you'll win Slams,
that you can break serve twice a set (not shooting yourself with lame serves/no running), can move without worrying about fatigue + ankle sprains,
can stretch well for the ball, volley fast,
adjust ball tosses before matches with players who play well with powerful serves (Muller, Benneteau, Federer, Nadal, Nalbandian, Ljubicic, Acasuso, Rochus, Hewitt, Safin, Baghdatis),
use dropshots, strike the ball early,
play with top 30 players in Europe/South America + play with an energetic, athletic coach

Working hard isn't moonballing, serving 140 mph,
hitting 35 mph forehands with mediocre players,
babysitting, playing all Davis Cup matches, overeating, exhausting yourself with goody-2 shoes activities.

I saw him talk bluntly. Saying he didn't want to take the media criticism seriously..."I'm still #3"). (KGO) at San Jose

Deboogle!.
02-27-2006, 01:54 AM
Noelle, what do you think of letting this thread sort of run in whatever direction it goes and start a new one for IW? You can start it before the draw comes out next week or whatever.... it just doesn't seem quite right to change into that discussion in this thread after all this stuff. Up to you. :)

Noelle
02-27-2006, 03:16 AM
OK. No problem. :p

belco
02-27-2006, 09:43 AM
rant rant rant

liptea
02-27-2006, 01:42 PM
andy makes my tummy hurt.

Fumus
02-27-2006, 01:57 PM
What's Andy's excuse for pulling out of TTC open?

Caren
02-27-2006, 02:14 PM
What's Andy's excuse for pulling out of TTC open?

Fatique apparently :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
02-27-2006, 02:25 PM
A lot of us had wanted to see him pull out - he had too many tourneys. If he'd played, he wouldn't have had an official week off on the calendar for WEEKS. Plus, he would've had night matches and it gets cold there, he would've been miserable, etc. He's better off resting up and regrouping for the two important tourneys coming up.

Plus let's not forget he was sick at DC and then played two weeks in a row - 7 more matches (some of which were long) - without any real rest to let his body recover from that properly. So yeah.

Caren
02-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Last night i was lying in bed flicking through the channels and they were showing the Rotterdam final. At the end the presenter of the show and his guest (i forget his name but he's there regularly) and they started talking about Andy and Lleyton. They said pretty much the same as us, you know Lleyton hasn' had much match practice which may be the reaosn for his loss of form but that there is no vivid reason for Andy's loss of form. He's played the matches, he says he's put in the work etc and i just thought well if they can see it as well as us, how come journalists aren't seeing it and asking him, and if they are seeing it why not ask? I mean since when were journalists afraid to dive into someone's personal life. It just makes no sense to me. i know Andy can be bitchy towards them, but i mean....i just don't know i just wish he'd give us a reason from HIM as to whats up with him rather than us all guessing and assuming certain things.

I agree Deb, i think pulling from this week was better for him, i think he needs to re-evaluate his season and make sure he picks the tournaments that best suit him not play every single tournament because he feels he has a debt to pay with them or whatever. I seriously hope he picks himself up a little before next week because he really can't lose those points at IW.

P.S. just noticed that AR.com have run the story on Andy pulling from LA, apparently to them he's the fourth ranked player :rolleyes: i give up on them really

Noelle
02-27-2006, 02:41 PM
:)

Deboogle!.
02-27-2006, 02:47 PM
AR.com is really deceptive (and is setting themselves up for copyright infringement action;)), they just paste articles from other sources half the time. Look carefully and you'll see that it was written by the Las Vegas paper, Caren... they got his ranking wrong, not AR.com. Still a pretty egregious error but at least not really his own website. With their new layout, it's almost impossible to tell who's being credited with writing the article - big mistake on their part.

We talked a bit about the press and why they're not asking him about it. Maybe they just assume it's not worth getting on his bad side and that he won't answer the question anyway? Who knows, really. Maybe when IW starts, it's a much bigger tourney with much more press from around the world, some journalist will ask him then. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

tangerine_dream
02-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Pulling out of TTC Open was smart. I'm sure he was a bit fatigued (mentally) but had he played TTC Open then he *really* would've been physically fatigued and that would've hurt his chances at IW. IW is far more important and he needs to refresh and be ready for it.

Golfnduck
02-27-2006, 03:14 PM
I would like to see Andy rested for IW. Maybe I'm getting really ahead of myself, but IW is the only Master Series event in North America he hasn't won. I'd like to see him win it this year, but as time goes by, my hope dwindles. I hope he can figure something out this week.

partygirl
02-27-2006, 03:17 PM
how come journalists aren't seeing it and asking him, and if they are seeing it why not ask? I mean since when were journalists afraid to dive into someone's personal life. It just makes no sense to me. i know Andy can be bitchy towards them, but i mean....i just don't know i just wish he'd give us a reason from HIM
yeah, but he's a good liar too. :devil:

:mad: i need a press pass damn it! :fiery:

im glad he is taking the week off too...
i just wish this "week off" was planned and put into the schedule.
he knew all that he had to do, unless he really was not planning on going very far in these tourney's.

at least then we could say he is being sensable somewhere.
underachieving & over-committing- NO GOOD! ;)

renee_chin
02-27-2006, 03:19 PM
So, we all basically agree that Andy's sole problem here is his confidence which seems like it's totally gone now. I am having a hard time tracing back to the event that's caused it, really. The reason being, he seems to be riding on some kind of high after winning a tourney or beating someone whom he hasn't beaten in ages, but then it could just evaporate just like that. :confused:
He is a confidence player - take that away, he's in huge trouble - because that seems to be the way he sets his mind up to play. Plus, gone is the vital intimidation factor's. :sad:

I don't think him giving up is because he's not motivated, or just couldn't care less/not interested in the match. IMO, it's a case of he pushes himself into a dead-end, thinking he has no way out against his opponents, which isn't true. Again, this is because of his confidence-issue. And his stubborness is really killing him sometimes. He's too reluctant to change his strategy/tactics during matches. :(

Skipping the clay-court season is a bad idea, IMHO. Journalists will be quick to jump all over him and that's the last thing he'd need - to have more criticisms.

Who know, miracles might happen... He might wake up one fine day and re-discover all that magic touches.... :D

One can only hope... :p
Keep the faith :)

I feel so much rejuvenated with my football team winning their first silverware in 2 season :D It's not one of the more prestigious trophies, but it's a trophy, nonetheless, and at this point, I'm not discriminating any tournaments every again :angel:

Caren
02-27-2006, 03:32 PM
I feel so much rejuvenated with my football team winning their first silverware in 2 season :D It's not one of the more prestigious trophies, but it's a trophy, nonetheless, and at this point, I'm not discriminating any tournaments every again :angel:

Man U huh? lol, not a fan but i was happy they won and dedicated it to Alan Smith :)

Deboogle!.
02-27-2006, 03:51 PM
oh man, the Vegas Sun is letting andy have it.....and honestly, shame on the Mayor. Why aren't they mad at Andre for taking hundreds of thousands of dollars instead of playing in his beloved hometown? Anyway, the guy's email address is at the end of the article :devil:
-----------------------
Ron Kantowski is tired of overpaid athletes like Andy Roddick who talk a big game but then fail to make good on their word

One of the selling points of Las Vegas' version of the Tennis Channel Open is that it is so much more than just an ATP tour stop.

There is no shortage of things you can do on the midway at the spiffy Darling Tennis Center out in Summerlin while the guys with the big serves who wear their ball caps backward are changing sides.

You can have your serve timed, and see how it measures up against the guys with the big serves and backward ball caps. There are parlor games, such as table tennis and air hockey. There is a women's tournament and a junior tournament and a platform tennis tournament and a couple of college matches featuring the UNLV women's team. There's music and art and instructional clinics and exhibits and trivia contests. There's even a contest to see who can string a tennis racquet the fastest.

This is what the tournamment organizers call "Tennispalooza.''

About the only thing you won't be able to do - if you are lucky enough to find a parking spot during the weeklong Tennis Channel Open that runs today through Sunday - is watch Andy Roddick beat some guy wearing a backward ball cap that you've never heard of in straight sets.

That's because Roddick, the world's fourth-ranked player and the TCO's top seed and biggest attraction, announced Friday, fewer than 72 hours before the start of the tournament, that he was withdrawing because of fatigue.

This is what the tournament organizers call "Andy's-a-looza.''

Actually, that's what the tournament organizers would call it if they had a big racquet in their bag. But this tournament is such a good idea that it actually might last a year or two beyond this one. And then they might need Roddick, or at least his name, to sell tickets again next year.

So tournament organizers refused to call him for a blatant double fault: Saying he would play, and then lying about it.

Tournament director Steve Bellamy said something about how the TCO would have loved to have had Roddick but because the field is so deep, it wouldn't miss him all that much. How predictable.

Good thing Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman isn't worried about selling tickets. Or refunding them. Just as predictable, hizzoner wasn't bashful about saying what was on his mind, and he didn't whisper it off the record behind closed doors in the player's lounge.

Grabbing the microphone at the official tournament draw Saturday, Mayor Goodman basically called Roddick a phony who reneged on his word. Then he said the real reason Roddick bailed on the TCO was because Lleyton Hewitt was going to kick his rear end. (He actually said "rear end'' too, although it took all his restraint not to use the real word in front of the genteel country club types.)

Earlier, Bellamy said Roddick "felt bad'' about pulling out, but he (Roddick) didn't think he "had the energy'' to go the distance here.

That has got to be the weakest excuse since the late Redd Foxx told the IRS that the check was in the mail. Too fatigued? Lack of energy? You're 23 years old, Andy. Have a Gatorade for cryin' out loud. Take the supermodels home early and get a good night's sleep.

The tournament committee apparently was so busy trying to get the hospitality tents set up that it didn't have time to update the official Web site over the weekend.

Roddick's picture and statistics were still all over it. If you didn't see The Mayor go ballistic Saturday night on Channel 8, you would swear he was still playing. For instance, by midday Sunday, nobody had made an effort to take down Roddick's giant likeness from the stanchions lining Durango Drive on the way into the tennis center.

Here's what I would do: Take Roddick's billboard down and tack it back up in the Tennispalooza section. Charge fans who paid hundreds of dollars to watch him play here this week another $5 to "Pin the Lame Excuse on Andy Roddick.''

The line forms behind Mayor Goodman..

Ron Kantowski can be reached at 259-4008 or ron@lasvegasssun.com.

partygirl
02-27-2006, 04:08 PM
wow!
then let honorable mayor Good-man-bitch
be the number 1 seed and play if its so easy :shrug: huh?

...drink a gatorade and get 1 nights sleep...what a dickhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/violent018.gif only we may speak of andy in such terms (and i dont think even any of us would say something that stupid.)

Deboogle!.
02-27-2006, 04:18 PM
I wrote our dear friend an email :)
================
Mr. Kantowski,
I am not normally one to write to journalists commenting on their articles, but your latest got me fired up enough to do so. You portray Andy Roddick as an evil selfish guy who was toying with your city and the Tennis Channel Open tournament. Before your blasting article that borders on defamatory, did you even take the time to look up the facts? Roddick played an almost 4-hour Davis Cup match 2 weekends ago. He threw up multiple times on court and had to have multiple IV treatments after the match. 2 days later and not 100% recovered, he came back out and won a match to send the USA to the next round. But two days later, he had flown to San Jose and played 4 matches there in 5 days. Then just 3 days after that, he played 3 more matches - all of which were over 2 hours in length and exhausting - in Memphis. Is it so hard to believe that these matches took a toll on him physically? When he committed to Davis Cup and these tournaments months ago, do you think he could possibly have had the foresight to know what was going to happen and to know how his body and mind would feel? These guys play almost 11 months out of the year and people depend on them - sponsors, tournaments, fans, etc. Do they really want to risk their careers by playing in a small tournament when they are tired? If you knew anything about tennis - or even sports in general - you would know that the likelihood of injury is far greater when a player is tired.

Do you play tennis, or even know anything about it? Do you know what playing that much and traveling that much does to the body - and the MIND? How can you judge him? Would you and your esteemed mayor have preferred that he showed up listless and exhausted only to lose in the first rounds? Wouldn't the fans have been just as disappointed? If it's so easy, why don't you and the Mayor step in and play. It's not Roddick's fault that he pulled out in plenty of time (officially slated at Thursday night, to be exact) and the tournament organization failed to publicize it until Sunday - that is the tournament's fault.

And you know what, most fans are pretty understanding. I had tickets to last summer's tournament in Los Angeles - an event the same size as the one starting in Las Vegas today. The day the draw was made, Roddick pulled out - for no apparent reason. Sure I was disappointed for a day, but I went to the tournament anyway and had a fantastic time and saw lots of wonderful tennis. Tennis fans, unlike yourself and unlike the Mayor, understand that these players are only human and can't be playing machines every single week. Perhaps Roddick made a mistake in ever committing to the tournament, perhaps he and his team should have had better foresight about what playing 4 weeks in a row would do to him. But that's a MISTAKE, not an intentional act to lie to the Vegas tournament. He's only human.

What strikes me is that the tournament organization doesn't share the same outrage as you and your mayor. But yet, you assume Mr. Bellamy is lying and that he shares yours and the Mayor's mean-spirited feelings. Why would he lie? He does not want to antagonize Roddick - who not only may play this tournament in the future but appears on his television network all the time. Perhaps that is because Mr. Bellamy actually played - and understands - tennis and understands that sometimes top players are simply exhausted and need the week off. What a concept! Moreover, where is your outrage that Andre Agassi chose to accept a half-million+ appearance fee to play in DUBAI instead of in his supposedly beloved home city? To me, that's just as outrageous than a player making the difficult decision to pull out of a tournament.

You and the Mayor made it sound like he was intentionally slighting your city and the tournament. Do you think he (and his handlers) are that stupid? He was well aware that the tournament was using him to promote itself and that he was a big asset to a small tournament. It is the exact loyalty that YOU mistakenly said he was devoid of that explains why he returns to cities like San Jose, Memphis, and Houston every year - they helped him out when he was just a kid in 2001 and he feels like he has a DUTY to keep returning.

As for your Mayor's disgusting comments... if he checked the record books, he'd know that last time Roddick played Hewitt, he is the one who did the butt-kicking.

I'm ashamed and disgusted by this article and your mayor's comments - both of you could have researched the FACTS and analyzed the situation under a much fairer and equal viewpoint, but instead you chose to assume the worst about a guy who started a charitable foundation when he was 17, who risks his own career to keep commitments to charity exhibitions and other smaller tournaments that his schedule would perhaps be better without. You failed to research the fact that just last November, he injured his back in Paris and not 2 days later he appeared in Hershey, Pennsylvania playing a charity exhibition. He later had to withdraw from the prestigious year-ending championships because of that back injury, but he sucked it up enough to perform for the fans at that exhibition. You called him a disloyal liar and did not even stop to think that he may have had valid reasons for withdrawing from this tournament. You assumed that he was lying all along about playing, yet you have no factual basis for that accusatory statement. I thought the plight of journalists was to divulge the TRUTH. One cannot divulge the truth without first investigating the facts, and your bitter column proves quite plainly that you were either too lazy or incapable of checking the facts before you went and defamed someone who has done as much for the sport of tennis in this country as anyone has in a very long time.

As a new Los Angeles resident, I was waiting for the time that I would be able to make it to Vegas, where so many people have told me I'd have a good time. However, if this is the kind of shoddy journalism and embarrassing mayor that your city has to present to the general public, I think I'll save my money and take a vacation elsewhere. And I sure hope that Andy Roddick has seen your column and that he never steps foot in your city again.

Debra ********
Los Angeles, CA

partygirl
02-27-2006, 04:32 PM
deb,
"girl...you got style." :worship:

good for you...i love that the response is just about as long as the stupid article.
i really hope he reads all of it.
honestly it should be published right next to the big fat retraction, of some sort. :angel:

Winston's Human
02-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Deb:

The only thing that you left out is that our Andy (regardless of his faults and current form) does not need character lessons from a shady former mob lawyer like Oscar Goodman.

Try googling Oscar Goodman mafia.

heya
02-27-2006, 04:55 PM
:baby: gulible, impulsive 10 year old fans & American tapeworms!

PREDICTABLE, insecure writers/tennis scum experts!!
fake SUPPORTERS ----posers!

"Lovely" old pimps, better wave your US FLAG.... :smash:

Go cheer for Andre and Hewitt.......:baby: wah!

Let's see if you can play tennis with tension in your house and match...patriotic twits!!!!

warmy
02-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Ouch.
Debstah. :worship:

Winston's Human
02-27-2006, 05:14 PM
:baby: gulible, impulsive 10 year old fans & American tapeworms!

PREDICTABLE, insecure writers/tennis scum experts!!
fake SUPPORTERS ----posers!

"Lovely" old pimps, better wave your US FLAG.... :smash:

Go cheer for Andre and Hewitt.......:baby: wah!

Let's see if you can play tennis with tension in your house and match...patriotic twits!!!!

They can't cheer for local boy Andre as he followed the cash all the way to Dubai.

I wonder what Mayor Goodman has to say about that?

acoffeygirl
02-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Great stuff Deb!!! :worship:

Caren
02-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Deb :worship: I salute you,

Please remind me never to get on you're bad side, :hug:

blosson
02-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Deb, I can not believe you signed "Debra". :lol:

Your email is super and it's a shame it not published in the same article as "replies". Sometimes I wish Andy was actually more selfish and put his career first.

warmy
02-27-2006, 05:37 PM
I've seen AngryDeb once, and I have no desire to see her again. Trust me, she is scary and fast-typing. Not a good combination. http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/thunder1.gif

MisterQ
02-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Andre had already committed himself to playing Dubai before the Scottsdale event was moved to Vegas.

williaer
02-27-2006, 07:07 PM
deb :inlove: you rock my world :worship:
and that article is vomit worthy, i cannot believe they said such things

sadhbh
02-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Tournament director Steve Bellamy said something about how the TCO would have loved to have had Roddick but because the field is so deep, it wouldn't miss him all that much. Bad loosers.

He threw up multiple times on court and had to have multiple IV treatments after the match. 2 days later and not 100% recovered, he came back out and won a match to send the USA to the next round.
I haven't watched tennis so much I missed all of that.

Deboogle!.
02-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Andre had already committed himself to playing Dubai before the Scottsdale event was moved to Vegas.I know, but that's not really the point. Is that not just as selfish of Andre as it is of Andy to protect his body? That's my point - that all these guys are selfish and do things to further their careers and this man completely defamed Andy without proof and ignoring the fact that another big star blew off the tournament as well. If Andre had really wanted to play Vegas, I am sure he could have.

Anyway, guess what, the email was returned to me as undeliverable. :o.

blosson
02-27-2006, 07:51 PM
OH no, there was another article with a phone number

Ron Kantowski is a Las Vegas Sun sports writer. Reach him at ron@lasvegassun.com or (702) 259-4088.

EDIT: try this email, it was in another article of his. You can not leave that masterpiece undelivered.

kantowsi@lasvegassun.com

Caren
02-27-2006, 07:57 PM
OH no, there was another article with a phone number

Ron Kantowski is a Las Vegas Sun sports writer. Reach him at ron@lasvegassun.com or (702) 259-4088.

EDIT: try this email, it was in another article of his. You can not leave that masterpiece undelivered.

kantowsi@lasvegassun.com

Agreed, that one email reply is petter written than any of my university work. :confused:

blosson
02-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Oops and this is the crap article that comes with it...

THE WEEK AHEAD
By Ron Kantowski <kantowsi@lasvegassun.com>
Las Vegas Sun

TODAY-SUNDAY: PRO TENNIS

The Tennis Channel Open at the Darling Memorial Tennis Center.

Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt and James Blake make a big racquet as pro tennis returns to Southern Nevada. Oops, Roddick has a hangnail and won’t be playing here.

Jimnik
02-27-2006, 08:02 PM
So, we all basically agree that Andy's sole problem here is his confidence which seems like it's totally gone now. I am having a hard time tracing back to the event that's caused it, really. The reason being, he seems to be riding on some kind of high after winning a tourney or beating someone whom he hasn't beaten in ages, but then it could just evaporate just like that. :confused:
He is a confidence player - take that away, he's in huge trouble - because that seems to be the way he sets his mind up to play. Plus, gone is the vital intimidation factor's. :sad:

I don't think him giving up is because he's not motivated, or just couldn't care less/not interested in the match. IMO, it's a case of he pushes himself into a dead-end, thinking he has no way out against his opponents, which isn't true. Again, this is because of his confidence-issue. And his stubborness is really killing him sometimes. He's too reluctant to change his strategy/tactics during matches. :(

Skipping the clay-court season is a bad idea, IMHO. Journalists will be quick to jump all over him and that's the last thing he'd need - to have more criticisms.

Who know, miracles might happen... He might wake up one fine day and re-discover all that magic touches.... :D

One can only hope... :p
Keep the faith :)
Actually, I don't want him to skip the clay court season either. But I would like to see him make some minor changes to his schedule:

1. He shouldn't bother entering Monte-Carlo. As usual, if he does well in Houston, there's absolutely no chance that he'll be ready for Europe so quickly. Also, if he never enters it, he's allowed to add an extra International Series event to his total points score.
2. Enter the Barcelona tournament. The field is very strong with all the best clay court players in the world. It would be an invaluable experience.
3. He probably won't get far in Barcelona so he should also enter either Munich or Estoril the following week.

:lol: Bet you weren't saying that last year when us Blues took the Cup ;) You know ManU and Chelsea have a few things in common now :wavey:

Deboogle!.
02-27-2006, 08:02 PM
You guys are embarrassing me :o

thanks bloss, I'll try that other address.

btw why was it surprising that I signed it Debra? That's what I go by :lol:

and LMFAO Yeah, I'm not pleasant when I'm angry :)

MisterQ
02-27-2006, 08:06 PM
I know, but that's not really the point. Is that not just as selfish of Andre as it is of Andy to protect his body? That's my point - that all these guys are selfish and do things to further their careers and this man completely defamed Andy without proof and ignoring the fact that another big star blew off the tournament as well. If Andre had really wanted to play Vegas, I am sure he could have.

Anyway, guess what, the email was returned to me as undeliverable. :o.

Although I see what you are getting at, I don't think it's a comparable situation. Andre never committed to Vegas in the first place. And if Andre had pulled out of Dubai to play Las Vegas, he would be criticized for breaking that commitment too.

There have been quite a few other tournaments that Andre did pull out of at the last minute (sometimes excusably, sometimes inexplicably) -- they might have made better examples. :)

I understand that it's a bit tangential to your main point... but since you threw his name in the mix, it begs discussion. ;)

Fumus
02-27-2006, 08:07 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to deb. again.

Deb that was awesome! Good work lovely! muah

surfpinky
02-27-2006, 08:12 PM
deb|:, and |: in this context = :bowdown:

Deboogle!.
02-27-2006, 08:17 PM
There have been quite a few other tournaments that Andre did pull out of at the last minute (sometimes excusably, sometimes inexplicably) -- they might have made better examples. :)Yes, except that this idiot said in his article something ignorant about Andy being only 23 and couldn't he just go drink a gatorade. Andre's 35 so I guess in these people's eyes young people can't be tired and older people have a better argument where that's concerned. Oh, ok. I wasn't talking about it from the perspective of Andre pulling out or not playing, but the perspective of that this guy thinks the city and the tournament were slighted by Andy and that Andre showing up in the middle east for what's rumored to be 700,000 is also a slight to the city and the tournament (especially considering these fools surely don't know how the commitment/tourney entry works)

And anyway, Scottsdale moved to Vegas before Andre had actually entered the tournament - months before. Perhaps there was a commitment agreement with Dubai in place already, but Andre is Andre and because he was not technically and officially entered into the tournament, I am sure that he could have gotten out of it if he had wanted to. I'm not saying he should have, merely that this guy completely ignores it and since this guy talked about slighting the city and the tournament, from the viewpoint of people who don't understand how the commitment system works, Andre slighted the tournament and the city in a way too, and he did it for reasons just as selfish as Andy. This guy was ignorant and seemed to just want to attack Andy without considering other things.

it's not the same, but I wasn't trying to say it was, merely the larger point of players doing things for their own reasons and that this guy didn't investigate the facts at all, nor did he present the whole story. To suggest Andy was playing with the tourney and lying all along and never intended to show up is a pretty egregious accusation, and the fact that he didn't even MENTION Andre not playing I think highlighted this guy's idiocy even further.

Fee
02-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Actually, I don't want him to skip the clay court season either. But I would like to see him make some minor changes to his schedule:

1. He shouldn't bother entering Monte-Carlo. As usual, if he does well in Houston, there's absolutely no chance that he'll be ready for Europe so quickly. Also, if he never enters it, he's allowed to add an extra International Series event to his total points score.

Monte Carlo is a mandatory Masters event. Andy will automatically be entered into it. I can tell you now that he will not play it, and he will be zero pointed for it. He will not be able to substitute any other result for Monte Carlo.

Noelle
02-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Deb,

Obviously the guy's not a trained journalist; we're supposed to have better scruples than that. :o He probably just likes to hear himself talk without bothering about the facts.

Devotee
02-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Catch your breaths Andy fans for this breaking news:

Marcos Baghdatis has committed to play the Houston Clay Courts, where Andy usually shines & feels most comfortable.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3687420.html

I hope if Andy does play Marcos there, Andy's not mentally freaked out by flashbacks to Australia. If Andy doesn't show a "New Andy" before then, I do fear the worst though. :sad:

morningglory
02-27-2006, 10:12 PM
*thunderclap*
And on Andy's weakest surface he's got baggy...... :tape:

morningglory
02-27-2006, 10:14 PM
will Andy ever win a title this year?

blosson
02-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Catch your breaths Andy fans for this breaking news:

Marcos Baghdatis has committed to play the Houston Clay Courts, where Andy usually shines & feels most comfortable.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3687420.html

I hope if Andy does play Marcos there, Andy's not mentally freaked out by flashbacks to Australia. If Andy doesn't show a "New Andy" before then, I do fear the worst though. :sad:

Strange. It would make more sense if he stayed in Europe and play the local tournaments. Just weird. Is he being paid loads of cash to appear in Houston?

guida
02-27-2006, 10:27 PM
That has got to be the weakest excuse since the late Redd Foxx told the IRS that the check was in the mail. Too fatigued? Lack of energy? You're 23 years old, Andy. Have a Gatorade for cryin' out loud. Take the supermodels home early and get a good night's sleep.

:retard: :retard: :retard:

I'm glad you let this guy have it, Deb. :) :worship:

blosson
02-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Debs, have you managed to send the email using the second address?

snaillyyy
02-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Ok that so called "journalist" is an ass! but WOW Deb :worship: way to go girl!!!

Golfnduck
02-27-2006, 11:08 PM
I wrote him too, I hope he gets the point that you just don't talk about people like that.

Deboogle!.
02-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Debs, have you managed to send the email using the second address?Well it wasn't returned to me like the other one so I imagine it was delivered. Thanks again for finding that :)

As for Marcos playing Houston... I don't see what that does to Andy all that much. It's not like Marcos is a heralded claycourt player either, and Andy would probably love to have another crack at him at a place like Houston where he is so comfortable and happy - perhaps moreso than any other tourney.

And anyway they'll both be seeded in the tournament so they'd both have to win some matches before it'd become relevant.

Jennay
02-27-2006, 11:17 PM
================
Mr. Kantowski,
I am not normally one to write to journalists commenting on their articles, but your latest got me fired up enough to do so. You portray Andy Roddick as an evil selfish guy who was toying with your city and the Tennis Channel Open tournament. Before your blasting article that borders on defamatory, did you even take the time to look up the facts? Roddick played an almost 4-hour Davis Cup match 2 weekends ago. He threw up multiple times on court and had to have multiple IV treatments after the match. 2 days later and not 100% recovered, he came back out and won a match to send the USA to the next round. But two days later, he had flown to San Jose and played 4 matches there in 5 days. Then just 3 days after that, he played 3 more matches - all of which were over 2 hours in length and exhausting - in Memphis. Is it so hard to believe that these matches took a toll on him physically? When he committed to Davis Cup and these tournaments months ago, do you think he could possibly have had the foresight to know what was going to happen and to know how his body and mind would feel? These guys play almost 11 months out of the year and people depend on them - sponsors, tournaments, fans, etc. Do they really want to risk their careers by playing in a small tournament when they are tired? If you knew anything about tennis - or even sports in general - you would know that the likelihood of injury is far greater when a player is tired.

Do you play tennis, or even know anything about it? Do you know what playing that much and traveling that much does to the body - and the MIND? How can you judge him? Would you and your esteemed mayor have preferred that he showed up listless and exhausted only to lose in the first rounds? Wouldn't the fans have been just as disappointed? If it's so easy, why don't you and the Mayor step in and play. It's not Roddick's fault that he pulled out in plenty of time (officially slated at Thursday night, to be exact) and the tournament organization failed to publicize it until Sunday - that is the tournament's fault.

And you know what, most fans are pretty understanding. I had tickets to last summer's tournament in Los Angeles - an event the same size as the one starting in Las Vegas today. The day the draw was made, Roddick pulled out - for no apparent reason. Sure I was disappointed for a day, but I went to the tournament anyway and had a fantastic time and saw lots of wonderful tennis. Tennis fans, unlike yourself and unlike the Mayor, understand that these players are only human and can't be playing machines every single week. Perhaps Roddick made a mistake in ever committing to the tournament, perhaps he and his team should have had better foresight about what playing 4 weeks in a row would do to him. But that's a MISTAKE, not an intentional act to lie to the Vegas tournament. He's only human.

What strikes me is that the tournament organization doesn't share the same outrage as you and your mayor. But yet, you assume Mr. Bellamy is lying and that he shares yours and the Mayor's mean-spirited feelings. Why would he lie? He does not want to antagonize Roddick - who not only may play this tournament in the future but appears on his television network all the time. Perhaps that is because Mr. Bellamy actually played - and understands - tennis and understands that sometimes top players are simply exhausted and need the week off. What a concept! Moreover, where is your outrage that Andre Agassi chose to accept a half-million+ appearance fee to play in DUBAI instead of in his supposedly beloved home city? To me, that's just as outrageous than a player making the difficult decision to pull out of a tournament.

You and the Mayor made it sound like he was intentionally slighting your city and the tournament. Do you think he (and his handlers) are that stupid? He was well aware that the tournament was using him to promote itself and that he was a big asset to a small tournament. It is the exact loyalty that YOU mistakenly said he was devoid of that explains why he returns to cities like San Jose, Memphis, and Houston every year - they helped him out when he was just a kid in 2001 and he feels like he has a DUTY to keep returning.

As for your Mayor's disgusting comments... if he checked the record books, he'd know that last time Roddick played Hewitt, he is the one who did the butt-kicking.

I'm ashamed and disgusted by this article and your mayor's comments - both of you could have researched the FACTS and analyzed the situation under a much fairer and equal viewpoint, but instead you chose to assume the worst about a guy who started a charitable foundation when he was 17, who risks his own career to keep commitments to charity exhibitions and other smaller tournaments that his schedule would perhaps be better without. You failed to research the fact that just last November, he injured his back in Paris and not 2 days later he appeared in Hershey, Pennsylvania playing a charity exhibition. He later had to withdraw from the prestigious year-ending championships because of that back injury, but he sucked it up enough to perform for the fans at that exhibition. You called him a disloyal liar and did not even stop to think that he may have had valid reasons for withdrawing from this tournament. You assumed that he was lying all along about playing, yet you have no factual basis for that accusatory statement. I thought the plight of journalists was to divulge the TRUTH. One cannot divulge the truth without first investigating the facts, and your bitter column proves quite plainly that you were either too lazy or incapable of checking the facts before you went and defamed someone who has done as much for the sport of tennis in this country as anyone has in a very long time.

As a new Los Angeles resident, I was waiting for the time that I would be able to make it to Vegas, where so many people have told me I'd have a good time. However, if this is the kind of shoddy journalism and embarrassing mayor that your city has to present to the general public, I think I'll save my money and take a vacation elsewhere. And I sure hope that Andy Roddick has seen your column and that he never steps foot in your city again.

Debra ********
Los Angeles, CA
You know you wrote a nice piece when you get me to completely read it. :yeah:

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Deboogle!.
02-27-2006, 11:19 PM
You shouldn't have had to read it ;) :p

Jennay
02-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Besides the point, it was fabulously fabulous. :p

burn.

Deboogle!.
02-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Well thanks :p:o

superpinkone37
02-27-2006, 11:45 PM
================
Mr. Kantowski,

Debra ********
Los Angeles, CA
BURN.

I love you miss genius lawyah Deb. :kiss: And even though this post was long, I had to quote it...it's like those pictures fo Tommy and Horia in that one thread...they NEED to be quoted just for the hell of it. In fact, I may quote this post again later just because I feel like it. ;)

morningglory
02-28-2006, 12:01 AM
bravo Deb! :yeah:

Fee
02-28-2006, 12:02 AM
wait, what pictures of Tommy and Horia in what thread? what did I miss? where is it?

renee_chin
02-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Deb :worship:

superpinkone37
02-28-2006, 12:15 AM
wait, what pictures of Tommy and Horia in what thread? what did I miss? where is it?I'm sure you've seen the it before...it's the 'Message for Star, Warning: Obscene Contents' thread which began with some lovely photos of none other than Vince Spadea LOL. Recently though, there were some pictures of Tommy and Horia that we all quoted over and over again, though I am not sure exactly why they're in there because they are in no way obscene lol. http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=3116539#post3116539

renee_chin
02-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Off Topic

:lol: Bet you weren't saying that last year when us Blues took the Cup ;) You know ManU and Chelsea have a few things in common now :wavey:

Well, to be honest, I didn't say anything about Chelsea winning the League Cup last year - but Liverpool a few years ago (when they won the Mickey Mouse Cup Treble), now that's a different matter ;)

Somehow, I still dislike the Man United-Chelsea comparison. Come back in 10 years time, and then we can start this discussion :cool:

/End of football talk

Personally, what's the big deal of players pulling out of tourneys. Remember the fiasco Madrid stirred up a couple of years ago when Andy (amongst a whole lot of other top players) pulled out?! :o

Everyone wants a piece of Andy... ;)

acoffeygirl
02-28-2006, 02:34 AM
:lol: It is raining in Vegas...and the weather doesn't look to outstanding for the rest of the week. I'm sure Andy is quite happy with the decision he made!!

Deboogle!.
02-28-2006, 02:37 AM
Yeah, it's pretty bad there. if what we're getting is moving east there....then yea. bad news. I'm sure he's glad. It also looks freezing just as I expected.

Good move, Andy.

Haas has pulled out too, bet this shmuck from the LVRJ won't say anything about him :o

Devotee
02-28-2006, 02:52 AM
Haas has pulled out too

By the way, do these players who pull out at the last moment get fined for any type of tournament or is the fine only for such as Masters?

Deboogle!.
02-28-2006, 03:02 AM
By the way, do these players who pull out at the last moment get fined for any type of tournament or is the fine only for such as Masters?Yeah, for these small tourneys, the deadline is Friday at noon.

Stuff from the rule book
------------------------
D. If the withdrawal occurs after 12 noon, Eastern Time, USA, on Friday before the
Tournament Week or, in the case of doubles, after the sign-in deadline, then the withdrawal shall be considered a Late Withdrawal and shall also result in a Late Withdrawal Fine, unless the injury on-site examination provisions apply. In addition, in the case of a 96-draw Tournament, if the withdrawal occurs after the Qualifying or Main Draw is made, whichever comes first, the player shall receive a Late Withdrawal Fine, unless the injury on-site examination provisions apply. Players included in the draw that fail to appear on site shall be classified as a Late Withdrawal.

(so even if Tommy is injured, unless he goes to Vegas and gets checked out there, he pays a fine. Andy pulled out before Friday, so he is OK under this rule)
---------------------------------------------------
From the player code of conduct

B. Fines and Penalties
1) ATP Tournaments
a) The provisions relating to assessment and payment of withdrawal, late withdrawal or punctuality fines for Tournaments are separate from but in addition to the provisions of the Player ATP Commitment. The penalties are:
i) Singles
1. Withdrawals occurring prior to the 12 noon, Eastern time, USA, Friday withdrawal deadline:

I'm not gonna paste the whole thing, but it's only 5,000 for the SECOND offense, meaning Andy should not have been fined for the Vegas withdrawal b/c it's his first offense of the year. The rules are laid out at http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/en/players/ATP_Rulebook.pdf Page 116

Havok
02-28-2006, 03:10 AM
I'm glad Tommy pulled out. He's found incredible form and should take a nice solid break before IW and Miami start so he can do some damage. Thank god Haas has awaken so I can cheer a WINNER :yippee:. Also Murray :D.

Havok
02-28-2006, 03:14 AM
Um ok I just got like around 350$ in vcash by doing NOTHING. I had put all my money (a measly like 46$) on Haas to win his round of 16 match in memphis, then used all my winnings on Andy over Benneteau (:retard: ) and lost it all but now I have all this vcash :scared:?

Deboogle!.
02-28-2006, 03:14 AM
:haha: Check out the premium forum, we just got a $350 bonus :)

Havok
02-28-2006, 03:17 AM
Oh.:o

Deboogle!.
02-28-2006, 03:19 AM
No worries, lots of people do the same thing when it happens :p

Katdiva7
02-28-2006, 03:55 AM
Yeah, it's pretty bad there. if what we're getting is moving east there....then yea. bad news. I'm sure he's glad. It also looks freezing just as I expected.

Good move, Andy.

Haas has pulled out too, bet this shmuck from the LVRJ won't say anything about him :o

I swear, a small town Oklahoma girl, me, finally gets the chance to go to a tournament and everyone is dropping out and the weather sucks, lol. Only to me :)

Deboogle!.
02-28-2006, 03:56 AM
awwwwwwwwwwww :hug: It'll still be fun :D:D

Katdiva7
02-28-2006, 03:57 AM
Oh trust me, me in Vegas will be fun to say the least, plus I get to miss school!

Caren
02-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Oh trust me, me in Vegas will be fun to say the least, plus I get to miss school!

Yeh thats always a good reason, i missed uni today just because it snowed lightly :p

Deboogle!.
02-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Heh, others voiced their opinions at that moron's article too

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/births/2006/feb/28/566649028.html

Letter: Give Roddick a break; he's paid his dues

Regarding Ron Kantowski's column on Andy Roddick withdrawing from the Tennis Channel Open ("Failing to make good on their word," Feb. 27):

I was in La Jolla, Calif., for the recent Davis Cup tie between the United States and Romania and trust me when I say Roddick was truly ill during the match on Friday, to the extent he was taken to hospital. Yet he went out and played again on Sunday. Then on to San Jose, and from there on to Memphis, Tenn.

Anyone doubting Andy's commitment to tennis should have been in Belgium in September when Roddick played a very tough five-set match on clay against Olivier Rocchus with more than 7,000 Belgians screaming constantly, even during points, during his serves. Roddick gutted it out and kept us in the world group.

So give Roddick a break.

Marianne Jenks, Jamestown, Ohio

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/births/2006/feb/28/566649028.html

Letter: Fatigue wasn't a weak excuse for Roddick

Andy Roddick is 23 years old, and playing a sport that has one of the longest seasons in the world. He has just played two tournaments, one after another - reaching the semis and quarters of both, respectively.

Fatigue isn't a weak excuse at all - you obviously haven't had any experience with real fatigue. If you did, you wouldn't be talking so much rubbish.

As you noted, people go to tennis tournaments for a lot of reasons - not just to see Roddick play.

Dushi Nesan, London

tangerine_dream
02-28-2006, 04:34 PM
:bigclap: :worship: All hail Queen deb. :hearts: :kiss: I still have to write my email to that guy. I've been wasting too much time over at the tennis-x boards. :tape:

And deeeeeebbbbb. :awww: I'm so sad to see the CuteMax thread moved out of here. :bigcry: We need to put something in its place.

How about a FatJohn thread? :D ;) :lol:

Or maybe a cute JC thread? :inlove:

acoffeygirl
02-28-2006, 04:43 PM
How about a CUTE Dean thread?!?! :hearts:

Deboogle!.
02-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Tangy you need to quit the tennix-s boards like a drug - cold turkey.

Sowwy, it was time to move it, since not much new will really be added :( We already have JC pics in that thread, though :p

FatJohn thread :lol: Not as heart-warming, but I suppose funnier :p

'tis up to you, miss tangy.

Fee
02-28-2006, 06:30 PM
I could start the Horia thread, but we would be devoid of pictures most of the time.

Golfnduck
02-28-2006, 06:59 PM
I wrote Ron Kantowski too. Here's what I wrote and what he replied.
Dear Mr. Kantowski,
I would like to say that I read your article about Andy Roddick. I'm appalled at the way you portray Andy. He has done more for American tennis than any other player since Sampras and Agassi. You have no idea that amount of time spent traveling, which he has done the last month. He was sick the week of Davis Cup in Southern California, then flew to San Jose, lastly to Memphis. That's a long way to travel, but then again, you have probably never played professional athletics, so you have no idea. Do you even play tennis? Earlier this year I was planning on coming to your tournament since it is held close to where I live. I can guarantee you that I will never come to the Las Vegas tournament as long as the mayor and you are involved in the city. Who do you think you are? For all I care the ATP should file a suit against you. You just lost your tournament one more customer.

Jenny
His reply:
Jenny:

I applaud you for being a loyal Andy Roddick fan.

Had he shown up here, signed a few autographs and at least tried to play before withdrawing, I would be the first to applaud him. But he didn't, and now a lot of fans who paid good money for tickets just to see him play are disappointed.

Thanks for reading and writing.

Ron Kantowski

Caren
02-28-2006, 07:02 PM
His reply:
Jenny:

Had he shown up here, signed a few autographs and at least tried to play before withdrawing, I would be the first to applaud him. But he didn't, and now a lot of fans who paid good money for tickets just to see him play are disappointed.

Ron Kantowski

Wouldn't that have increased the fatique level? why travel the distance only to have to travel back home again, wat the hell is this guy? is he being paid to wind people up, oh my god.... :mad:

Deboogle!.
02-28-2006, 07:03 PM
This guy obviously knows nothing about how it works - that these guys pull out of tourneys all the time and aren't expected to show up. He's a general sports writer and clearly doesn't understand how tennis is different from the normal team sports he covers. :shrug:

partygirl
02-28-2006, 07:06 PM
I wrote Ron Kantowski too. Here's what I wrote and what he replied.
Dear Mr. Kantowski,
I would like to say that I read your article about Andy Roddick. I'm appalled at the way you portray Andy. He has done more for American tennis than any other player since Sampras and Agassi. You have no idea that amount of time spent traveling, which he has done the last month. He was sick the week of Davis Cup in Southern California, then flew to San Jose, lastly to Memphis. That's a long way to travel, but then again, you have probably never played professional athletics, so you have no idea. Do you even play tennis? Earlier this year I was planning on coming to your tournament since it is held close to where I live. I can guarantee you that I will never come to the Las Vegas tournament as long as the mayor and you are involved in the city. Who do you think you are? For all I care the ATP should file a suit against you. You just lost your tournament one more customer.

Jenny
His reply:
Jenny:

Ron Kantowski

ewwww!
his little response there is just as bad as the article.

*in mocking voice*
"thanks for reading and writing."
:nerner: shut up.

guida
02-28-2006, 07:08 PM
What a :banghead:

Golfnduck
02-28-2006, 07:10 PM
I agree with Deb, he's definately a general sports writer. I doubt he's ever played competitive sports at all.

Deboogle!.
02-28-2006, 07:12 PM
He's obviously a general sports writer - we don't even have to guess - look at other stuff he's written on the site and it's all UNLV stuff and the like. Tennis is different and he obviously doesn't get it.

blosson
02-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Getting tickets to a tennis tournament doesn't guarantee you will see your favourite player. You can get the finals' tickets for RG but you wouldn't know who will be playing until the last minute. Ron is stupid, of course. Real tennis fans know they take a chance when buying tennis matches tickets. Tennis is a knock out sport, you buy slots for the day/ part of the day but it doesn't guarantee which players will be there. What a moron.

tangerine_dream
02-28-2006, 07:44 PM
LOL. I wonder how many letters this guy got? AR.com went berserk on him too and smucav had to close the thread. :lol:

Here's his response to my e-mail: (at least he was far more cordial than that Harvey jerk)
Thanks for the note. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

It would appear to me that Andy Roddick should have planned his
schedule a little better, then maybe he wouldn't be so tired.

You are right -- I am not a huge tennis fan. But I am a fan of people
who plunk down a lot of money for tickets, thinking that certain
players are going to play. In that this is a first-time event and Las Vegas has a dubious reputation for supporting live pro sports, Roddick's presence
-- and yes, Andre Agassi's (I did two columns on him not playing here)
-- would have helped make it a success.

I understand that this is a common occurrence in tennis -- players
pulling out of events at short notice. But it would have been cool if
Roddick had at least shown up, signed a few autographs and TRIED to
play before withdrawing.

Had that happened, I would have been the first one singing his praises.

PS: A tournament official told me that Roddick was rated No. 4. I will
take responsilbility for taking him at his word.

partygirl
02-28-2006, 07:50 PM
what is- rated #4? :rolleyes: :devil:

...i get the point it just sounds funny
and i like to mock this fool,
because while i have a lot to say, the idea of typing it all out for someone not even worth my brain cells-oh gawd :rolleyes:
this is better left to people better than I.

blosson
02-28-2006, 07:54 PM
There aint' any tickets printed "Andy Roddick will play tonight".

Deboogle!.
02-28-2006, 08:08 PM
I guess I'm not special enough to get a reply :(

tangerine_dream
02-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Deb, he's probably still trying to put together a decent defense. You didn't give him any holes to work with. :lol:

SI.com this week :awww:

http://i2.tinypic.com/os4gb6.jpg

Deboogle!.
02-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Deb, he's probably still trying to put together a decent defense. You didn't give him any holes to work with. :lol::lol:SI.com this week :awww::( but I think it's dead on.

partygirl
02-28-2006, 08:56 PM
you know what i just realized?

last year's Indian Wells title, could still work for this year :sad:
The "Please Find Your Confidence, Andy!" Indian Wells thread. :sad:
it would be kind of funny...
but i know were more original than that, or are we?

fangirl
02-28-2006, 09:05 PM
I know no Andy Roddick. Life is easier that way. :)

Havok
02-28-2006, 10:15 PM
DEATh I love it how they say Andy should have at least TRIED to play before pulling out. I mean who the fuck would go to an event, "try" and play a couple of matches and then say "Nope sorry I'm just fatigued now so I'll pull out of the tournament."?:retard: Fuck some people are just morons. Plus what if Andy simply bombed out in the first round and then left? What about all those people who bought tickets for the later rounds and wanted to see Andy? Works the same way, NOTHING is guaranteed in tennis, it's completely different from other sports out there and I think that's a little hard for that idiot to grasp.

guida
02-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Screw him, he's already been given too much air time here anyway.

Caren
02-28-2006, 11:28 PM
He doesn't even have a solid arguement in either of those replies, at least not to me anyway. I guess Deb, you went way over his stupid idiotic head. He can't make up an "arguement" to you're reply and so he just chooses to ignore it. Usually happens when an idiot starts an arguement :(

Deboogle!.
03-01-2006, 02:20 PM
btw, so Marcos did not enter Houston, so I'm not sure where the Chronicle got that bit of 'news' from but it seems inaccurate anyway.

Deboogle!.
03-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Well at least Andy beat Phau and Garcia-Lopez in straight sets...... Andre cannot say the same :sad:

partygirl
03-01-2006, 03:55 PM
CRAP!
i put v cash on andre.

"im like the worst online bet placer in existance... probably cause i mostly bet on the roddick." :rolleyes:

tangerine_dream
03-01-2006, 05:23 PM
More comedy from Ron Kantowski today:

The Tennis Channel Open
Hometown hero Andre Agassi is in the United Arab Emirates talking ground strokes and offshore drilling with Arab sheiks. Top-seed Andy Roddick is home resting with an IV of Red Bull attached to his arm....

Odds on Andy Roddick (who withdrew, citing fatigue, on Friday) receiving a key to the city from Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman: 1 million-to-1.

:retard:

partygirl
03-01-2006, 05:36 PM
More comedy from Ron Kantowski today:

:retard:
would somebody mail him a bomb already?
okay a stink bomb.

blosson
03-01-2006, 05:41 PM
This Ron guy really dislikes Andy. His last comment on Andy was completely unnecessary. He is just having fun by pissing off the people who's been emailing him lately. An old idiot is what he is. He's old enought to be Andy's dad and I think Andy (being immature as he is) is more mature than Ron.

I hope Andy never plays this tiny tennis event in LV, ever!

Ron Kantowski, columnist

Ron has been a sports columnist, editor and writer at the Sun for 18 years. His colorful outlook and off-the-cuff writing style have led to three consecutive awards as Nevada Press Association sports columnist of the year. His column appears on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/images/columnists/kantowski.jpg

acoffeygirl
03-01-2006, 06:39 PM
I can't believe this guy. You'd think Andy had some how personally offended him in some way. I mean...it is just nauseating.

Deboogle!.
03-01-2006, 07:34 PM
He's honestly coming close to crossing the line to being defamatory.

SUE HIM ANDY :p

Winston's Human
03-01-2006, 07:35 PM
I wonder if the tournament director is pleased with Ronnie's comments?

I think Ronnie is making it easier for Andy to choose San Jose and Memphis over Las Vegas in the future.

Deboogle!.
03-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Considering the tournament director is Steve Bellamy, president and co-founder of TTC, I really doubt he's pleased, because I"m sure he'd enjoy Andy's future participation and cooperation with either/both the tournament and the network in general. He definitely wouldn't want to be on Andy's bad side, I don't think.

Deboogle!.
03-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Here's what Peter Bodo has to say.... :o
================
Honest Politician Alert!

Posted 3/1/2006 @ 12:31 PM

Andy Roddick’s withdrawal from The Tennis Channel Open in Las Vegas disappointed many fans, caused some to roll their eyes (“It’s only February, for gosh sakes!”), and others to arch their eyebrows when they absorbed Andy’s honest (if not entirely satisfying)confession that he was pulling out because of simple “fatigue.”

I like Andy, but I have to admit that my Inner Truth Seeker jumped up, punched the air, and said, “Yes!” when I read this story in The Las Vegas Sun.

Money quote:

Good thing Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman isn't worried about selling tickets. Or refunding them. Just as predictable, hizzoner wasn't bashful about saying what was on his mind, and he didn't whisper it off the record behind closed doors in the player's lounge.

Grabbing the microphone at the official tournament draw Saturday, Mayor Goodman basically called Roddick a phony who reneged on his word. Then he said the real reason Roddick bailed on the TCO was because Lleyton Hewitt was going to kick his rear end. (He actually said "rear end'' too, although it took all his restraint not to use the real word in front of the genteel country club types.)

I like it when people have the guts to say what they really think, and I also like it when people hold tennis players accountable for their actions in an era characterized by rampant greed, ethical ambiguity, and an increasing sense that tennis players, like celebrities in general, are out of touch with the covenant they make with fans. Celebs today have figured out that as long as they keep finding ways to stay in the public eye, they can do—or not do—anything they want. I’ve written about this before, calling it the Caligula Complex.

Ironically, Andy always struck me as one of the more responsible athletes in this regard. It's unfortunate that he was the one who led a stand-up guy like Mayor Goodman to pop up on our radar. But these days, you’ve got to take your up-front and honest folks wherever you can find them, especially among politicians!

My take on the Andy issue: If it was just fatigue, it was wrong for Andy to pull out. However, I respect him for having the decency to be honest about it, instead of cooking up some phony-baloney injury in a cheap attempt to have it both ways: get out of a tournament commitment, yet not anger or alienate the fan base.

I say it often, but I can’t say it enough. Few of the actual “crimes” tennis players commit against the game are as bad as the hypocrisy players practice in trying to cover them up. If you hated Jimmy Connors for everything else, you had to love him for being man enough to say: “I do the crime, I do the time.”

At the same time, I imagine that the fatigue Roddick cites is metaphorical as well as literal. He must be tired of the relentless speculation about his coaching upheavals, the wisdom of the apparent “catch Roger” strategy that seems to have been driving his approach to tennis for almost two years, and the spate of recent losses that can be traced back to the disastrous Gilles Muller loss at the U.S. Open.

I get the feeling that Andy is experiencing some turmoil and is looking to buy a little time in an effort to regroup and get things back under control. This may be a defining moment in his career: a time when he rethinks his entire program and either finds a way to punch back up to take his place among a Big Four (Federer, Nadal, Safin, Roddick), or a time when he accepts a not entirely horrific fate as the King of the Second Tier.

partygirl
03-01-2006, 07:55 PM
so now the mayor is a stand up guy? :confused:

sounds more like a class A-1 jackass.

if andy had shown up and tried to play like some have suggested:rolleyes:...do you think he would have said to andy's face
"lleyton is gonna kick your ass"
that would be honest, sounds like he's trying to show off.

-yuck to this article too:ras:

Winston's Human
03-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Considering the tournament director is Steve Bellamy, president and co-founder of TTC, I really doubt he's pleased, because I"m sure he'd enjoy Andy's future participation and cooperation with either/both the tournament and the network in general. He definitely wouldn't want to be on Andy's bad side, I don't think.

I should have put a sarcasm note on my prior comment.

I am sure that Bellamy is quite unhappy with Kantowski's comments since he probably hopes to have Andy play Las Vegas in the future since, even with Andy's recent slump, he still has no close competitors for top-ranked American.

Winston's Human
03-01-2006, 08:14 PM
so now the mayor is a stand up guy? :confused:

sounds more like a class A-1 jackass.

if andy had shown up and tried to play like some have suggested:rolleyes:...do you think he would have said to andy's face
"lleyton is gonna kick your ass"
that would be honest, sounds like he's trying to show off.

-yuck to this article too:ras:

The mayor of Las Vegas is hardly a wonderful stand-up guy. He made his name as a criminal defense attorney for a number of organized crime figures.

tangerine_dream
03-01-2006, 08:18 PM
If Andy decided not to play the Tennis Channel Open from now on, who can Steve Bellamy blame for it? I'm sure he's breathing down the mayor's neck right now.

As for Andy claiming "fatigue" I really don't understand why this is a problem? He played DC, San Jose, and Memphis all one right after another. He was ill. He fired his coach. He's in another transitional period and he's not looking sharp at all. Had he played TTC that would've been four weeks in a row of a lot of playing and I can't see how playing that much would've helped him prepare to defend his sf points at IW.

If the media's going to throw out the argument of "people pay money to see Andy Roddick and now Andy has disappointed them all, blah blah blah boo hoo hoo" then they should be blaming Bellamy and not Roddick. It's not Roddick's fault that the TD insisted on building the success of his tournament around one player. Why isn't someone with star power like James Blake being as aggressively marketed? Haas is quite popular too.

It is grossly unfair to expect Andy and Andy alone to play every single US tournament on the schedule. Someone might say, "Well then he shouldn't have commited in the first place." Baloney. They have no idea of the kind of pressure Roddick is under to at least commit to these US tournaments, and Bellamy is a very persuasive, ambitious man. We all know how hard Andy has pronouncing the word "no" and we all know that he is very much aware that he is carrying America's hopes on his shoulders. The burden is getting to be too much.

The poor kid is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Deboogle!.
03-01-2006, 08:18 PM
I should have put a sarcasm note on my prior comment.

I am sure that Bellamy is quite unhappy with Kantowski's comments since he probably hopes to have Andy play Las Vegas in the future since, even with Andy's recent slump, he still has no close competitors for top-ranked American.Oh, sorry :o

Fee
03-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Personally, I hope Andy never plays in Las Vegas (he can find other ways to keep Bellamy happy). I'd also like to see that tournament become an indoor event and move to Chicago (and I'm not the only one who thinks that).

tangerine_dream
03-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Uh, I just ranted on Pete's site and this was his response to me:

Wow, tangerine. You're good!

I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not. :silly:

Fee
03-01-2006, 09:52 PM
I posted on Bodo's blog too....

>>>>>Andy is the number one American player and the pressure on him to play EVERY American tournament must be enormous. What other player has to deal with that? None, because no other country has as many tournaments as the US (we can argue that at another time). He did the right thing to pull from Las Vegas, but the ATP won't put 'I need a break, for many reasons' at the bottom of the main draw form, so he used 'fatgiue' as his reason. It's a shame that a sports writer and a Mayor with ABSOLUTELY no prior knowledge of tennis decided to open their mouths without getting rudimentary information about how the ATP tour really works (and the fact that smart tennis fans know that NO player is guaranteed to show up at any tournament because injuries happen). Next time Andy should take a lesson from Mark P. and just tell everyone that he slept in an odd position and his neck hurts too much to play.<<<<<

Hope you don't mind that I stole a thought from you Tangy (or was it Deb?). :)

acoffeygirl
03-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Great comments Fee and Tangy!

Noelle
03-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Bodo is just trying to get a rise out of everyone. He giggles in glee when he gets 92 comments on one blog post -- never mind if most of the later comments are spam. :rolleyes: I completely lost respect for him when he started attacking players for no reason.

blosson
03-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Hope you don't mind that I stole a thought from you Tangy (or was it Deb?). :)

That dynamic duo Deb + Tangy? Dengy it is.

Deboogle!.
03-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Dengy sounds like dingy :sobbing:

cobalt60
03-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Dengy sounds like dingy :sobbing:
I am so sorry but it sounds like a tropical disease to me :tape: :sobbing:
I for one am sorry that he did not show. It is a nice tennis venue and the people working were fun and helpful. There were still a number of good tennis players even though not all played good tennis :p

Deboogle!.
03-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Aw Sue, hope you and the family had fun! :hug:

acoffeygirl
03-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Glad you had a good time Sue! :hug:

cobalt60
03-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks it was fun. But the best part was meeting up with my 2 friends again. Emails don't always cut it;)

Deboogle!.
03-02-2006, 12:10 AM
aww :) awesome! :D

cobalt60
03-02-2006, 12:13 AM
And of course the gal actually meeting my boys( she had the best time playing with poor Sam's curly hair-what a patient kid) and I getting to see what my matchmaking had done :lol: I think they have planned to see each other again at another tournie:)

Deboogle!.
03-02-2006, 12:13 AM
Cool!!!!!!! :)

Golfnduck
03-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Bodo, bite me :fiery: I guess it's everyone jump on Andy's back right now.

Deboogle!.
03-02-2006, 12:27 AM
What's sad is that he'll do something at some point and these guys will be groveling at his feet. And Andy will probably be classy about it all and nice to them. B/c he's such a jerk and all.

cobalt60
03-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Bodo, bite me :fiery: I guess it's everyone jump on Andy's back right now.
Maybe if we ignore Bodo he will just go away? Hey I think most of the time these sports jounalists or whatever they want to call themselves just like ranting and raving. Some folks just love to hear themselves think as well as talk ;) They wouldn't have much to discuss otherwise.

Deboogle!.
03-02-2006, 12:32 AM
Maybe if we ignore Bodo he will just go away? Hey I think most of the time these sports jounalists or whatever they want to call themselves just like ranting and raving. Some folks just love to hear themselves think as well as talk ;) They wouldn't have much to discuss otherwise.They like to slap people when they're down but then rely on those same people for readers and exclusive interviews and all that. I'd love to see some of these guys say "well when you start treating me like a human and with respect I'll give you your sit-down interview"

I mean there is a reason why guys like Charlie Bricker and Lisa Dillman get a lot of exclusive stories. Never seen them say much bad about anyone. Honest yes, but BAD, not really.

cobalt60
03-02-2006, 12:43 AM
They like to slap people when they're down but then rely on those same people for readers and exclusive interviews and all that. I'd love to see some of these guys say "well when you start treating me like a human and with respect I'll give you your sit-down interview"

I mean there is a reason why guys like Charlie Bricker and Lisa Dillman get a lot of exclusive stories. Never seen them say much bad about anyone. Honest yes, but BAD, not really.
You are absolutely right Deb. There is a young man who works for the ATP in Communications who sets up interviews and the players are very careful about who they will talk to and when.

Deboogle!.
03-02-2006, 12:56 AM
Yep, exactly. so these guys will get their due. :)

heya
03-02-2006, 02:02 AM
This isn't a slump. It's a serious personal problem involving his relationships and depression (Andy's constant weight fluctuations, self-effacing garbage, self-cruelty and obsession with saying yes to his family).

If Andy cancels a Davis Cup match due to coaching needs/self-improvement reasons, I know the prick Pat McEnroe will trash him too. But, Agassi and Blake can lose and the McEnroe brothers shower them with sympathy.

Deboogle!.
03-03-2006, 01:09 AM
TTC is gonna have Mayor Goodman on for an interview at some point tonight :o

If he EVEN.................

oh I spoke too soon... wow. he like IS las vegas.... omg they're talking about how popular he is.... he's had 7 editions of BOBBLEHEAD DOLLS??????? omg, the next version is gonna be him with 2 showgirls..... omg :o.

Wow..... what a SLEAZEBALL.

renee_chin
03-03-2006, 01:26 AM
more andy-bashing from the mayor, deb?!

Deboogle!.
03-03-2006, 01:38 AM
No, he's just a sleazeball.

surfpinky
03-03-2006, 01:48 AM
he's the mayor of las vegas, what did you expect?
*fiffles*

Deboogle!.
03-03-2006, 01:49 AM
That's what I'd expected, but still, seeing him in a sleazy pinstripe suit with a sleazy voice is just :o lol

surfpinky
03-03-2006, 01:51 AM
lol

he better stay in vegas
*fiffles*

cobalt60
03-03-2006, 01:53 AM
Oh well. Obviously those who voted for him must think he is doing something right. Or else the "lesser of two evils" voting prevailed;)

Golfnduck
03-03-2006, 02:25 AM
This mayor freakin' sucks :smash: One day he'll get his.

renee_chin
03-03-2006, 03:42 AM
This mayor freakin' sucks :smash: One day he'll get his.
... rear end kicked :devil:

Deboogle!.
03-03-2006, 03:42 PM
omg :haha: don't these guys have something better to do!
====================
EXCUSE THE INTERJECTION WHEN SUN COLUMNISTS COLLIDE

THIS WEEK'S TOPIC:

DO FANS DESERVE A REFUND WHEN HEADLINERS WITHDRAW FROM TOURNAMENTS ON SHORT NOTICE?

# Tennis star Andy Roddick's decision to withdraw from this week's Tennis Channel Open disappointed many fans who had purchased tickets thinking he would play.

RON KANTOWSKI'S TAKE: In a perfect world, or at least one presided over by Judge Judy, the answer almost certainly would be "yes." But Andy Roddick is not the first player to skip out on a commitment by citing a vague reason such as "fatigue." While some injuries can't be avoided, saying one is "fatigued" has become the politically correct way of saying "one doesn't feel like playing." Roddick may as well have said the dog ate his homework.

JEFF HANEY'S TAKE: I'm overcome by fatigue from hearing about so many athletes pulling stunts like this. But I think we should allow the free market to work its magic. There's bound to be a backlash from fans against Roddick - and, in the course of time, from the ticket-buying public against any sporting event whose officials implicitly or explicitly condone such behavior.

RK: Yes, the ATP tour has some kind of point system that in theory is supposed to cut down on players pulling out of tournaments. But I've heard from tennis fans who claim top players have been known to withdraw from a tournament just so they can go shopping with their supermodel girlfriends.

JH: You certainly can't criticize a player who is truly hurt, or who legitimately needs some time off. But those mall-rat types are starting to draw more fire. Last week, Mayor Oscar Goodman ripped into Roddick for bowing out. Late last year, the directors of the Shanghai Masters Cup wanted to impose a substantial penalty for late withdrawals by stars such as Andre Agassi, Marat Safin, Lleyton Hewitt, Rafael Nadal ... and (drumroll) Andy Roddick. Sense a pattern?

RK: Yeah ... lots of guys with backward ball caps headed for the food court.

JH: Let's give credit where it's due. At least Roddick offered a reason for his pullout, lame as it was. When golf star Padraig Harrington withdrew at the last minute from last year's Hong Kong Open, he really blindsided everyone. "He just informed the organizers that he was not coming," a tournament official was quoted at the time. Gives new meaning to the phrase "no excuses."

RK: Maybe the golf and tennis tours should just make the players bring a note from their doctors, like you had to do in kindergarten when you got the sniffles.

JH: Meanwhile, ticket-buying fans are stuck with an old catchphrase: "Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances."

Noelle
03-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Damn. The poor dead horse, they won't stop beating him. :o

Noelle
03-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Oh, also... I bet they're just writing about this because they're getting a lot more hits with the name "Andy Roddick" in their articles. :haha: Such whores.

Deboogle!.
03-03-2006, 04:02 PM
:lol: probably. I mean now they just sound like these bitter people who have nothing better to do. it's been a week, time to get over it. Then again it's amusing how they continue to demonstrate their lack of knowledge about tennis time and time again.

Noelle
03-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Don't they have a tournament to write about? Like, oh, the Tennis Channel Open? :p

Deboogle!.
03-03-2006, 04:10 PM
I guess not :shrug:

Winston's Human
03-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Here is the e-mail which I have just sent to Mr. Haney:

Dear Sir:

I have just read your recent comments regarding Andy Roddick's decision to withdraw from the Tennis Channel Open. In those comments, you attempt to create a pattern based upon Roddick's withdrawal from the Year End Championships.

You must not follow tennis closely if you are attempting to castigate Roddick's decision to withdraw from Shanghai. Roddick injured his back playing in the Paris Masters right before Shanghai. Even though this injury occurred in an early round, Roddick fought his way to the semifinals where he lost to Ivan Ljubicic. I might also add that Roddick was one of the only then-top five player to enter this ostensibly required tournament.

I hope that, based upon his treatment by the local Las Vegas media, Roddick chooses not to play the Tennis Channel Open anytime in the near future.

tangerine_dream
03-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Don't they have a tournament to write about? Like, oh, the Tennis Channel Open? :p
The Tennis Channel Open doesn't sell as well as Andy Roddick. :p

Deboogle!.
03-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Here is the e-mail which I have just sent to Mr. Haney:Nice, Steve :yeah:

This is also the same guy who I saw make the final in Houston 2 years ago even though he'd just won Miami and a huge DC tie and was dead tired but was honoring his commitment to a tourney that has treated him well in the past. If it'd been San Jose or Memphis where he was dead tired, he would still have played. That's why he played Indy last summer even when he shouldn't have but then pulled out of LA b/c he doesn't feel a personal duty to that one like he does some of the others.

I kinda feel badly for Bellamy b/c he handled the situation fine and as any other TD would do and i think he's got an interesting and cool tourney going on and it's too bad the Vegas press don't have his class.

Winston's Human
03-03-2006, 04:20 PM
I also feel bad for Bellamy. I think he understands why Andy withdrew and that is why he has not let himself be drawn into this debate.

Deboogle!.
03-03-2006, 04:27 PM
I also feel bad for Bellamy. I think he understands why Andy withdrew and that is why he has not let himself be drawn into this debate.yeah, i'm sure. He's too smart to get into it, but you'd think he'd want the papers to shut up about it. maybe he doesn't care who knows. Plus, he's actually played tennis and knows tennis players personally so he knows the issues in the sport, unlike these chumps.

it should perhaps also be mentioned that I'm pretty sure the Sun is not the MAIN paper in Vegas, that's the Review-Journal which published one fact-based article about Andy pulling out and hasn't said anything since.

Winston's Human
03-03-2006, 04:33 PM
I did not know there were two papers in Las Vegas. I guess I am too used to living in one newspaper towns.

Deboogle!.
03-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Yeah

www.reviewjournal.com

seems like the more professional, less tabloidy paper

Sort of like.... the Boston Globe and the Boston Herald... or the LA Times and the LA Daily News....

acoffeygirl
03-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Honestly these people need to get a life and figure out something else to right about.

am&a
03-03-2006, 09:54 PM
go steve! (:

morningglory
03-03-2006, 10:58 PM
guys.. I just had a thought... what if Andy loses in the 1st rnd of Indian Wells... what are we gonna do? :tape: :help: and the press will pouce on it like a starving cat on a mouse...
Ah... the horror...

warmy
03-03-2006, 11:12 PM
guys.. I just had a thought... what if Andy loses in the 1st rnd of Indian Wells... what are we gonna do? :tape: :help: and the press will pouce on it like a starving cat on a mouse...
Ah... the horror...

Oh god, I just read your post and my only initial reaction was "mmmmmm... pounce on him. Can I play too?"

:sobbing:

Deboogle!.
03-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Ah... the horror...Let's just hope it doesn't happen. He almost did last year, to Verdasco :unsure:

am&a
03-04-2006, 12:20 AM
if he loses to bye, it will be a sad day indeed. ):

renee_chin
03-04-2006, 12:42 AM
geez... don't they realise already most fans are actually glad that andy pulled out of vegas... backlash? what backlash?! :lol:

Deboogle!.
03-04-2006, 03:17 AM
Richard Vach is in the TTC Commentary box right now saying how great tennis-x is :haha:

morningglory
03-04-2006, 04:12 AM
if he loses to bye, it will be a sad day indeed. ):
:lol: does he still get a bye? :lol: j/k he should appreciate it while he still can...
ok... so what if he loses in the 2nd rnd, I think we should make plans for a round of mass seppuku...

warmy
03-04-2006, 05:20 AM
Is losing to Bye like losing to Pong? ...cause that would actually be kinda entertaining. :o

Caren
03-04-2006, 01:27 PM
It's a sad sad time when we start laughing at Andy's loses, but his performances have been somewhat comical. Especially considering he's got his ass whooped yet still says he "thought he played a good match"

EARTH TO ANDY- SUCKING TO 100+ RANKED PLAYERS MEANS YOU DIDN'T PLAY A GOOD MATCH, YOU SUCK!!!!!

Golfnduck
03-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Don't these people have anything better to write about?

Deboogle!.
03-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Apparently, this is better. And compared to Andy wanting to take a week off, I think it's massively more important, too. And I am so glad Andy has never played there.

http://www.tennis.com/Tennis_World_Blog/entry.asp?ENTRY_ID=815

cedez
03-04-2006, 07:15 PM
He'll get it together soon. I have no doubt that he'll play really well in Indian Wells.

Caren
03-04-2006, 07:23 PM
There was an advertisement shown earlier to promote IW with all the top players in and they showed Andy doing his fist pump and looking really happy and it made me sad :sad: , Where did our Andy go? :confused:

morningglory
03-04-2006, 07:26 PM
when will the draw come out?

superpinkone37
03-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Tuesday, I have been told.

partygirl
03-04-2006, 08:28 PM
There was an advertisement shown earlier to promote IW with all the top players in and they showed Andy doing his fist pump and looking really happy and it made me sad :sad: , Where did our Andy go? :confused:

I ate him.

tangerine_dream
03-04-2006, 08:32 PM
I hope Andy finds his confidence and form again soon. I desperately want to become a Roddicktard. It's not fair that the Fedtards and Rafatards have all the fun. :awww:

warmy
03-04-2006, 08:39 PM
I hope Andy finds his confidence and form again soon. I desperately want to become a Roddicktard. It's not fair that the Fedtards and Rafatards have all the fun. :awww:

I feel you Tangy. :hug:
I don't want to have to think about Andy's Assets as a distraction from his poor play. Dirty thoughts are no fun when they're forced. :sad:

Fee
03-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Be a Gimeltard, easiest job in the tennis world. :D

superpinkone37
03-04-2006, 08:45 PM
I think I am the only Vincetard there is. hahahaaa.

Fee
03-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Well, Vince is a vincetard...

superpinkone37
03-04-2006, 08:49 PM
LOL. Sadly, that is true. Okay, then there are two vincetards.

partygirl
03-04-2006, 08:50 PM
then there are two vincetards.
...made in heaven.

unfortunetly i will be a roddicktard until i look stupid...and then some. :rolleyes:
dumbass better pay up:armed:

J. Corwin
03-04-2006, 08:51 PM
I think I am the only Vincetard there is. hahahaaa.

Excuse me?

Danielle, meet my av.

superpinkone37
03-04-2006, 08:53 PM
ah yes, Jace, you too are a not-so-closeted Vinnaay fanboy :hearts: :lol:

Caren
03-04-2006, 08:53 PM
I ate him.

:eek: Was he tasty?

partygirl
03-04-2006, 08:55 PM
:eek: Was he tasty?