Benneteau def. Roddick 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Benneteau def. Roddick 3-6, 6-4, 7-6

Billabong
02-25-2006, 01:57 AM
:eek::eek::eek:

bad gambler
02-25-2006, 01:58 AM
how many points did he win on benny's serve in the final set?

El Legenda
what a shock :rolleyes:

LLeytonRules
Complete disaster for Andy Roddick, seems like his game is really being exposed, by Benneteau?

NATAS81
That's what he gets for playing with fire.

Third straight deciding set TB.

One DF all match until his final few serve games. Clearly the pressure got to him.

Maybe now he can concentrate on filling out his golf brackets with Fishy :rolleyes:

revolution
02-25-2006, 01:59 AM
Andy :banghead:

Hope he finds his form for Indian Wells... this ain't looking good.

Haas/Soderling final. :cool:

federated
Yet another loss for Roddick...who is this benneteau guy?

mangoes
How does the NO. 3 player in the world lose to a guy ranked :shrug: Andy does not deserve his no. 3 ranking. Heck, he doesn't even need to be in the top 5.

LLeytonRules
02-25-2006, 02:00 AM
He needs to change alot of things in his game, i think even the serve, people are reading his serve, even a guy like Benneteau, if he doesnt fall now in the rankings, i would be shocked!

Billabong
Isn't Benneteau the guy Andy spanked in straight sets in AO:eek:?

Dirk
Andy might not win a title until Houston. :tape:

Sjengster
Ha ha, three threads on the same result.... regular as clockwork.

croat123
02-25-2006, 02:01 AM
wasn't it obvious :o he got pushed to the limit by fish and arthurs :o

sigmagirl91
*cough cough* What?!!!

Jordanjames
I am shocked by the result. However, I remember two years ago..in Canada..Benneteau played Roddick and he broke his serve in the first set..but Benneteau..he fell or hurt himself..but I thought he returned Roddick's serve well. I think Roddick won Memphis last year...so I believe he's going to lose some points..it looks like Davydenko, Ljubicic, and Nalbandian..can pass Roddick in the rankings..if he doesn't get himself together....Roddick really I don't know what to say anymore about him...I think he needs a sports psychologist...it helped Amelie Mauresmo..maybe it can help him..Roddick is really going down the tubes at the moment...

I♥PsY@Mus!c
I'm so pissed off!!!He can't break JB's serves after 1st set,even just one damn point in last fucking games. :armed::banghead::fiery:
F U C K...

Billabong
wasn't it obvious :o he got pushed to the limit by fish and arthurs :o

yep:eek:

Horatio Caine
Utterly ridiculous...he should have beaten him 6/3 6/4...what the hell happened apart from the obvious?

gusman890
haha a french quilifier.

how sad..

i'm ashammed to be an american, John Mcenroe is the ONLY one to win a title in FEB, how sad

federated
02-25-2006, 02:02 AM
lol, I even waited a few minutes for one to appear before posting...and of course as soon as I press submit...:lol:

croat123
02-25-2006, 02:03 AM
yup, just looked it up. the score was 1, 2, and 2

LLeytonRules
Roddick is in doo-doo smooch.How in the world u lose Benneteau?When u have youngsters coming up who might expose ur game, and now this?Wow

Sjengster
I have to say, when I was following this match in the early stages on the scoreboard, I found myself inwardly chuckling, "Here's one match that certainly ISN'T going to go to a final set TB", remembering the drubbing that Roddick administered to Benneteau at the AO. But then lo and behold Julien gets an early break, and in case people aren't aware, held a 3-1 lead in the first set before double faulting his serve away twice in a row, so the victory could have been easier. I definitely wasn't expecting to sit here afterwards and discover that Benneteau had outaced Roddick 18 to 14, but lo and behold, there the stat is.

Godiva
And the slide continues. Well...there's always the grass.....right? :shrug:

tangerine_dream
02-25-2006, 02:04 AM
What? Andy lost again? To a nobody? Yawn. :zzz:

Wake me up when he decides he wants to play tennis again.

morningglory
02-25-2006, 02:05 AM
lost to a 100+ ranked qualifier :banghead: Andy had a chance to break and serve the match out in the 2nd... :banghead:
Oh, 3/31 receiving points in the final set was humiliating... lower than 10%...

bad gambler
02-25-2006, 02:05 AM
how many points did he win on benny's serve in the final set?

3/31 :eek:

El Legenda
02-25-2006, 02:07 AM

how can you quote yourself :rolleyes:

:lol:

federated
I think this is the beginning of the end for roddick. His serve seems readable by virtually every guy on the tour (the players must be sharing notes) all of a sudden and he's consistently getting out-aced by players that can't wackamole at 140mph. He's doesn't have all that much natural tennis talent/instinct/touch, so I don't know how much improving his game will help.

It's just reality: he can no longer win by intimidating players with the prospect of his serve. I feel bad for the guy, but them's the breaks.

El Legenda

:hug: its okay Tangy we all know he sucks.

17-2 is looking much bettert than 9-4 :lol:

bad gambler
02-25-2006, 02:08 AM
how can you quote yourself :rolleyes:

because nobody else wanted to answer my question, i had to check for myself :sad:

gusman890
02-25-2006, 02:08 AM
OMG

HIRE BRAD BACK NOW !!!

this is horriable, < 10% on returning?? thats HORRIABLE. DONALD YOUNG IS FUCKING BETTER !

*Viva Chile*
02-25-2006, 02:09 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: and eeks forever!!!!

Well, at least it's a very good sign for the chileans and the davis cup. At this current level of Andy, I see Massu beating Roddick easily on grass.

federated
02-25-2006, 02:11 AM

:speakles: :speakles: :speakles: :speakles:

*Viva Chile*
02-25-2006, 02:12 AM
I heard that it seems that Gonzo will play Houston this year :devil:

Jennay
02-25-2006, 02:12 AM
Downward spiral..

morningglory
02-25-2006, 02:14 AM
oh well... Haas will be happy...

LLeytonRules
What Andy needs is to pay his uncle, pay uncle scrooge to get him a good trainer, so he can fly again! :rolleyes:

federated

dude, andy might not win a title.

njnetswill
:haha: When was the last time Andy put togther a great tournament? Er...Wimbledon? :tape:

bad gambler
02-25-2006, 02:15 AM
oh well... Haas will be happy...

why? the toad is winning this title

Dirk
02-25-2006, 02:16 AM
I heard that it seems that Gonzo will play Houston this year :devil:

OK QUEENS :lol:

Jordanjames
02-25-2006, 02:16 AM
I think the Gilles Muller match at the US OPEN really deflated Roddick's self esteem and confidence. Roddick tries to act macho and tough but on the inside he is very depressed. The reason Roddick hired his brother John is more for emotional support..he needs someone to believe in him..because right now he doesn't believe in himself or his talent...He is talented..but the big serve isn't going to do it anymore..All the men serve big..Andy's serve is a bit predictable..and the players they just train and they tell their pratice partners to serve the ball big..and they just block the ball back..the Cyprus kid, and Murray that's what they did just block the ball back..attack Andy's horrib;e back hand..get him running and off balance hit some slice low to his forehand and youve got a shot. Also Andy's return of serve is horrible for a top player. I don't like it that's he's ranked no.3 he doesn't deserve to be ranked so high...

LLeytonRules
02-25-2006, 02:21 AM
Yeah, i always thought his return game is very weak.Right now he needs to hire someone good and quickly.I still think u cant his game that much.

federated
02-25-2006, 02:21 AM
I think the Gilles Muller match at the US OPEN really deflated Roddick's self esteem and confidence. Roddick tries to act macho and tough but on the inside he is very depressed. The reason Roddick hired his brother John is more for emotional support..he needs someone to believe in him..because right now he doesn't believe in himself or his talent...He is talented..but the big serve isn't going to do it anymore..All the men serve big..Andy's serve is a bit predictable..and the players they just train and they tell their pratice partners to serve the ball big..and they just block the ball back..the Cyprus kid, and Murray that's what they did just block the ball back..attack Andy's horrib;e back hand..get him running and off balance hit some slice low to his forehand and youve got a shot. Also Andy's return of serve is horrible for a top player. I don't like it that's he's ranked no.3 he doesn't deserve to be ranked so high...

all true. I'm no roddick fan, but :sad: for him. I think The Mullerian Defeat plus all the (not very effective but intensive) work he's put in to try to challenge federer (sorry andy, but :haha: ) has really hit him hard. Roddick wants to be the best. He knows there is no way he can be that with Fed around. And now Nadal is in the house and that can't help either. Plus carrying the mantle of american tennis--and the fear of being a One Slam Wonder...poor baby. :hug:

LaTenista
02-25-2006, 02:26 AM
:haha: When was the last time Andy put togther a great tournament? Er...Wimbledon? :tape:

Cincy actually - lost to Fed in final there too. ;)

OMG Adam had better sign on as Andy's coach fast or he might drop out of the Top 10 faster than Gaudio. :help:

ReturnWinner
02-25-2006, 02:28 AM
or faster than ferrer ;)

OMG Adam had better sign on as Andy's coach fast or he might drop out of the Top 10 faster than Gaudio. :help:

Godiva
02-25-2006, 02:29 AM

The deflation started way before the Muller match. Federer planted the seed of doubt in Roddick's head since the Wimby 2004 final. He's never been the same since.

Jordanjames
02-25-2006, 02:29 AM
Andy is only 23 so he still has time...but he needs a psycholgist and some therapy..Its clear he is battling emotional demons within himself. John is a busy guy..and yet he decided to help out his younger brother Andy..for emotional support...But I feel Andy he needs more variety in his game..he's going through a bad patch right now..it happens...but now he has given the other men confidence..Murray has figured him out...but Bennateau..thats a really shocking result....He may be out of the top ten before the year is over...

Godiva
02-25-2006, 02:30 AM
I feel kinda sorry for him now. Well only kinda sorry ;)

Jordanjames
02-25-2006, 02:35 AM
Yes I have to admit a part of myself is snickering reading the result when I first saw it. I don't get how some people say Andy is nice..I find him to be pretentious..At least Hewitt admits being a creep. I remember reading in the Australian paper The AGE that Australians don't really like Hewitt...Andy has a bad attitude as well..he's just more fake about it..I recall at Wimbledon last year..he swore at Daniele Bracialli...I found that really abhorrent...

OddJob
02-25-2006, 02:38 AM
oh Andy! :sad:

federated
02-25-2006, 02:43 AM
Yes I have to admit a part of myself is snickering reading the result when I first saw it. I don't get how some people say Andy is nice..I find him to be pretentious..At least Hewitt admits being a creep. I remember reading in the Australian paper The AGE that Australians don't really like Hewitt...Andy has a bad attitude as well..he's just more fake about it..I recall at Wimbledon last year..he swore at Daniele Bracialli...I found that really abhorrent...

I can't stand any part of andy on the court: I hate his game, his comments (he can veer into McEnroe territory) and his american machismo on the court. I hate his Top Dog strut when he plays against lower ranked players. I hate his service motion. I hate his awkward volleys. I hate that thing he does with his wrist. I even hate his baseball cap (though, go figure, :hearts: for all things grosjean).

HOWEVER, he has a wonderful self-deprecating humor in the pressroom and has caused quite a few :lol:s for me in post-match interviews.

NicoFan
02-25-2006, 02:43 AM
Poor Andy :hug:

This is panic time. :eek:

NATAS81
02-25-2006, 02:49 AM
http://www.bradgilberttennis.com/bgmain.jpg

fedpras
02-25-2006, 02:56 AM
I am shocked by the result. However, I remember two years ago..in Canada..Benneteau played Roddick and he broke his serve in the first set..but Benneteau..he fell or hurt himself..but I thought he returned Roddick's serve well. I think Roddick won Memphis last year...so I believe he's going to lose some points..it looks like Davydenko, Ljubicic, and Nalbandian..can pass Roddick in the rankings..if he doesn't get himself together....Roddick really I don't know what to say anymore about him...I think he needs a sports psychologist...it helped Amelie Mauresmo..maybe it can help him..Roddick is really going down the tubes at the moment...

Actually the injury was to Benneteau's neck. He hit a short volley and Roddick got up to it and hit it straight at Benneteau. As Benneteau was trying to duck, he sprained his neck.

Phunkadelicious
02-25-2006, 02:58 AM
At least I can look forward to one good laugh every week now :lol:

WF4EVER
02-25-2006, 02:59 AM
I can't stand any part of andy on the court: I hate his game, his comments (he can veer into McEnroe territory) and his american machismo on the court. I hate his Top Dog strut when he plays against lower ranked players. I hate his service motion. I hate his awkward volleys. I hate that thing he does with his wrist. UGH! I even hate his baseball cap (though, go figure, :hearts: for all things grosjean).

HOWEVER, he has a wonderful self-deprecating humor in the pressroom and has caused quite a few :lol:s for me in post-match interviews.

I couldn't agree with you more. This is exactly how I feel about him too, but sometimes watching him lose when you expect him to win can wring a little pity out of me for him.

I'll say again that this comes from the way the US media hyped and hyped and hyped him early on and even after watching him fall short time after time still considers him a great player. Tennis 'experts' like the McEnroes
should have admitted a long time ago that Roddick's game was too one-dimensional for him to keep getting away with wins when his serve goes awry, but it's also an aptitiude of theirs for being delusional. After all they do need a great American hero to foloow in the footsteps of Sampras, but they're never gonna get it.

I wasn't surprised when Murray defeated Rodick but I certainly expected Andy to get past JB. I figured Robin or Haas (if he played like he played in Oz and Delray Beach) would most likely beat him instead. Truly alarming.

IMO Andy needs a psychologist not only to boost his morale but also to tell him the truth: that he needs a more diverse game if he wants to stop these uncharacteristic losses; I mean come on he used to win matches like this, like the one against Murray and the others.

He needs to have a total hype-override so that he can see things for the way they are and not the way he, or others, would like them to be. I'm sorry but looking at his pic in the atptennis headlines just demonstrated more of his cluelessness. Roddick seems to have no clue what's going on or what's going wrong.

yomike
02-25-2006, 02:59 AM
Unbelievable!. Andy has three more tournaments before the clay season plus the one in Houston to pick up points or else this season will go down the drain.

krystlel
02-25-2006, 03:23 AM
:eek: Wow, what an awful statistic for Andy.

I remember watching the match he played against Benneteau at the AO and getting extremely bored by the thrashing by Andy.

By the way, I hate that thing Andy does with his wrists too. :lol: He should get rid of that thing he wears.

gusman890
02-25-2006, 03:24 AM
Roddicks gonna have what Agassi had in '98.

we will see the real roddick back in like 3 years or so, time for him to wake up

Scotso
02-25-2006, 03:24 AM
:tape:

njnetswill
02-25-2006, 03:27 AM
Cincy actually - lost to Fed in final there too. ;)

Forgot about Cinci. Sandwiched right in between the Mathieu and Muller losses. :p

Experimentee
02-25-2006, 03:27 AM
I saw the match against Benneteau at the AO, Benneteau had no chance. I wonder whats caused this drop in Andy's level :eek:
He's been struggling since he lost to Marcos.

mangoes
02-25-2006, 03:37 AM
Roddicks gonna have what Agassi had in '98.

we will see the real roddick back in like 3 years or so, time for him to wake up

But Andre was a very gifted tennis player...........big difference between Andre and Andy.

Federerthebest
02-25-2006, 03:48 AM
when is roddick going to drop down in the rankings?
i am sick of seeing him in the top 5, when he clearly sucks

GonzoFan
02-25-2006, 04:11 AM
I'm shocked :eek: I can't believe he lost to Benneteau :eek:

This is looking really bad for Andy ...

TenHound
02-25-2006, 04:13 AM
It's his finals appearance @Wimby that gives him all his points. If he washes out early this yr, he sinks like a stone.

Andy isn't a tennis player. Sadly, he merely has the genes to live his brother's dream. Divided family - John has the love for the game, but Andy got the genes, and never grew up.

I've been saying for ages that he needs a psychologist. Problem is that if he saw one, he might realize he'd rather play poker than tennis. He should just retire. Tennis is his career, not his calling.

rofe
02-25-2006, 04:21 AM
It's his finals appearance @Wimby that gives him all his points. If he washes out early this yr, he sinks like a stone.

Andy isn't a tennis player. Sadly, he merely has the genes to live his brother's dream. Divided family - John has the love for the game, but Andy got the genes, and never grew up.

I've been saying for ages that he needs a psychologist. Problem is that if he saw one, he might realize he'd rather play poker than tennis. He should just retire. Tennis is his career, not his calling.

Ivan Lendl might not agree with you.

superpinkone37
02-25-2006, 04:26 AM
Benneteau def. Roddick 3-6, 6-4, 7-6
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

heya
02-25-2006, 04:29 AM
Suddenly, these people act shocked.

The wristband is for mindless promotion of his Charity foundation (he and his clueless mommy founded the event). The Roddick clan got the advice of running the charity from Agassi, but nothing else was important to them.
The parents and charity events around the US made him feel guilty for skipping their tennis exhibitions/auctions. Who cares about matches?

The McEnroes convinced themselves that he vomited at the precious Davis Cup event because of "stress".

Roddick could barely get on the court after vomiting before a French Open match & these pals probably think it's nothing fitness/health related too.
In 2004, he also played 3 matches for (Americans + captain Pat) whle he was injured, then he played with fatigue, sleep deprivation & severe pain in Thailand. Helping the "team" was a big deal. Not getting a real coach, being in trim shape & having a schedule.
The McEnroes + Brad Gilbert still deny that there remains coaching and health problems.
They're too busy manipulating Roddick to make them look like 1st rate stars.
Pat and John enjoy promoting themselves as providers of great advice. They love to scream at the umpire (Davis Cup & recently in San Jose). Lovely.
When Roddick quits Davis Cup and quits tennis, Brad & the McEnroes will give fake speeches about how they helped him and made him great for the country.

~EMiLiTA~
02-25-2006, 04:31 AM
BENNEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! yeehaww!!!! :bounce:

El Legenda
02-25-2006, 04:35 AM
anyone heard roddicks interview after match. :haha: :haha:

for-sure
02-25-2006, 05:21 AM
Shocker-- Andy has always had "B"'s number.

Björki
02-25-2006, 06:45 AM
Andy :eek:

pascal'rG
02-25-2006, 07:32 AM
The McEnroes convinced themselves that he vomited at the precious Davis Cup event because of "stress".

Maybe he's pregnant :rolleyes:

morningglory
02-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Maybe he's pregnant :rolleyes:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
omgoodness... Andy is not Karantantcheva...

gomarray
02-25-2006, 07:40 AM
:eek: I can't believe it! I saw the AO match, and figured it would be the same outcome. The highest ranked player Andy has defeated this year is #69 Wesley Moodie. I feel bad for him, but watching him lose is one of my guilty pleasures! :devil:

michelleg
02-25-2006, 07:46 AM
<<a drunken cheer raised up from the Acapulco Princess>>

ALLLLLLLEEEZZZZZZZZZ JUL!

(see, qualies suck here so I get to be a lush tonight!)

mandoura
02-25-2006, 08:16 AM

Aww Tangy :hug: .

If it makes you feel better, Julien isn't really a nobody. He had his moments. He happened to beat Robredo last year, Fish, Ljubicic, Ferrer, Nadal in 2004 and was ranked inside the top 100. He is a good double player too.

OK, Andy is having big problems now but no need to abandon ship just yet. :)

Nimrodg
02-25-2006, 08:17 AM
This is not a shocker.
I actually don't know why do you think it's a shocker...Andy is just getting prepared to the scores that he gonna get in the clay court season :lol:

mandoura
02-25-2006, 08:33 AM
OMG

HIRE BRAD BACK NOW !!!

this is horriable, < 10% on returning?? thats HORRIABLE. DONALD YOUNG IS FUCKING BETTER !

I'd go more with Tarik Benhabiles. :shrug:

Jogy
02-25-2006, 08:52 AM
no question that it's patetic what Roddick plays at moment

I hope Haas can take the title now when Roddick out!

Alexiana
02-25-2006, 09:02 AM

no, Carlsen won last year against Mirnyi :)

mallorn
02-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Andy! :help: :o

This is really getting very serious... :sad: I agree about seeing a sports psychologist, whatever he's been doing to improve is not working.
:yeah: (but I don't hate him on court either ;) )

Minotaur
02-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Andy fired a professional tennis coach and hired his brother... hence his results are coming

Allez
02-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Oh no! not again! Could the real Andy Roddick please stand up!

Hola Mr. SK
02-25-2006, 10:13 AM
:eek:
how could you lose to a qualifier,Andy!! another final set tie break?? :confused:
Go figure,Andy-R!!

stebs
02-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Roddick is on awful form. This is probably his worst run of results for 3 years but he is still in the top 20 in the champions race. This shows how highly even those who hate him regard him, people are saying he is playing really really terrible but there are only 17 who have started the year better than he.

Hola Mr. SK
02-25-2006, 10:47 AM
but I still believe things aint that worse yet for Andy. Players always have some bad times of period in their careers. but he should really put nerves together when playing next time.
Benneteau's on fire this week!! After I learned he took X-man out in the previous round, this couldn't have been a big surprise.

almouchie
02-25-2006, 11:11 AM
it is not just that he lost a qualifier who probabl wont make much headline news, it the manner that Andy is struggling in his matches & unable to imposes himselves. he is becoming very vunerable & players cansee that & exploits his weakness
he needs to find some better guidance & real pro for a coach.
its is starting to be redundant

1sun
02-25-2006, 11:15 AM
i cant even be bothered to laugh any more.

gusman890
02-25-2006, 11:15 AM
i think i agree with most of the posts, that he is living his brothers dream, because when ever they mention Roddick in the booth or something, or always mention what a great junior player his brother was, and that he has a school in San Antiono or something like that.

Well if u want to have a school, you must have sheer love for the game to each it 24/7 right? I know John Roddick was a good junior player that really had his break through but i think Andy did get all the genes and the only reason his brother is coaching him, (same reason i would to do my brothers if they had the talent i was jealous of) is you play the way i would.

i mean If your not going to use it the in a positiive way, why not play the way other people would, if your that lazy, and Johns just taking advantage of that, and Andy is too worried about Banging girls at the playboy mansion or playing poker or something like that.

blosson
02-25-2006, 11:22 AM
routine loss for Andy. :(

silverwhite
02-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Julien :yeah:

marifline
02-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Bravo Julien :worship:

partygirl
02-25-2006, 12:43 PM
i'll drown on this god damn ship if i have to.http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/signs050.gif
...and yes i'm aware that might just happen, but i care to much.

Corey Feldman
02-25-2006, 12:56 PM
So Andy can beat this guy 6-1 6-2 6-2 at AO but lose here..
:help:

Sir_Lance
02-25-2006, 12:56 PM
As a gambler on tennis I often at the start of each year try and predict which top players could well struggle in the year and try to avoid them.

At the start of last year I thought Roddick could struggle and perhaps fall out of the top ten. However he kept he's form up and remained in the top 3, but I remembering being at Queens last year when he beat K Beck in 3 sets and not believing how passive he was on the forehand side. Obviously his backhand is a weakness and you wouldnt expect him to be too aggressive on that side, but when he dominant the US hardcourt season in 2003 he had 2 major weapons - huge serve and huge attacking forehand. For some reason (I think its likely to be the Federer factor) he has changed he game, and now that the effectiveness of his serve has reduced is really struggling to dominant matches.

What he needs to do is work on these two former strengths and forget about his weaknesses. I still think if he got these back up to 2003 levels and improved his volleys he could easily win a slam again.

federated
02-25-2006, 01:00 PM
:eek: The highest ranked player Andy has defeated this year is #69 Wesley Moodie.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I feel bad for him, but watching him lose is one of my guilty pleasures! :devil:

Exactly how I feel!

Horatio Caine
02-25-2006, 01:02 PM
I've said this last year, I said this in the wake of the Baggy defeat in Aus, and I'll say it again....with a serve like that he should be following it up with a volley.

megadeth
02-25-2006, 01:05 PM

... or not win any at all... :rolleyes:

the way his results are coming out, his best chance might be in DC or even join in new haven...

instead of proving the naysayers wrong this year, he just got into a deeper hole...

gusman890
02-25-2006, 01:16 PM
^^ haha i live 15 mintues from New haven, i'm going to ballboy there this year.

If Andy Roddick were to come, there would be a bigger reaction then Davenport coming last year

Raquel
02-25-2006, 02:08 PM

I think he does want to play now. I don't think these losses can just be written off as him not really caring, and that he's going to start winning Master Series and Grand Slams when he decides he wants it. If anyone thinks that and are sitting around waiting for that to happen, they'll be waiting a long time. I think he's just a bit lost right now.He said in Australia it was going to be constant aggression from now on, and I think that's his best chance, but during his match with Baghdatis at the Australian he looked totally lost as to what to do. Maybe it's a crisis of confidence but he needs someone like Brad Gilbert to give him the self belief again. I know Brad's not everyone's favourite person on here but you can't deny he is a great motivator and someone who can get the most out of Andy's game the way he got the absolute maximum out of his own game.

Corey Feldman
02-25-2006, 02:24 PM
... or not win any at all... :rolleyes:
Nah, no matter how bad he gets, im sure he can always rely on Houston GS/TMS/TMC championships of the world for at least a final :p

he magically transforms into 1995-Thomas Muster on this court!

mojo37_12
02-25-2006, 03:32 PM
I've said this last year, I said this in the wake of the Baggy defeat in Aus, and I'll say it again....with a serve like that he should be following it up with a volley.

One problem man... he doesn't know how to volley!!! :cool:

Golfnduck
02-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Andy :fiery: :smash: Get your head together boy.

Horatio Caine
02-25-2006, 03:41 PM
One problem man... he doesn't know how to volley!!! :cool:

Well someone needs to drill it into him. It is criminal that he stays back on such a good serve...even the second serve is strong enough for players to struggle to hit passing winners off.

How much more dominant indoors can he be with a volley? A volley could also help him out on the clay...he isn't going to get any further with his current game.

Bilbo
02-25-2006, 04:00 PM
...and Roddick's career downfall continues.

Wait a moment, how often did I say this in the last few months? However, I love it :D

Pea
02-25-2006, 04:27 PM

That's gonna be a long ass sleep. You're gonna be like sleeping beauty, except for the beauty part.

UDACHi
02-25-2006, 04:28 PM
:haha: What a loser!

thrust
02-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Andy needs serious help- SOON!!

WF4EVER
02-25-2006, 04:50 PM
I think he does want to play now. I don't think these losses can just be written off as him not really caring, and that he's going to start winning Master Series and Grand Slams when he decides he wants it. If anyone thinks that and are sitting around waiting for that to happen, they'll be waiting a long time. I think he's just a bit lost right now.He said in Australia it was going to be constant aggression from now on, and I think that's his best chance, but during his match with Baghdatis at the Australian he looked totally lost as to what to do. Maybe it's a crisis of confidence but he needs someone like Brad Gilbert to give him the self belief again. I know Brad's not everyone's favourite person on here but you can't deny he is a great motivator and someone who can get the most out of Andy's game the way he got the absolute maximum out of his own game.

I agree. I don't think Andy lacks motivation or interest. In fact as recently as Wimby(not sure) he talked about how hard he was working on his fitness, yet (if my memory serves me and my timeline is correct) it was a routine win for Federer when they met in the Final.

Andy works hard but he's not finding any answers. He really looks clueless out there nowadays, really lost.

joeb_uk
02-25-2006, 04:51 PM
:haha: As I thought, roddick getting his ass kicked once again by an average player. Its not like he is getting beaten by top players too! :help:

bellascarlett
02-25-2006, 05:02 PM
That's gonna be a long ass sleep. You're gonna be like sleeping beauty, except for the beauty part.

Roddick :o :devil:

redsox1133
02-25-2006, 05:17 PM
the thing that is sickening about andy losing this match is that he just beat him so easily at AO...he won 6-1 6-2 6-2

star
02-25-2006, 05:18 PM
It just keeps going down for Andy. :(

Whatever the problem, he needs to find his path again. :sad:

Horatio Caine
02-25-2006, 05:20 PM
It just keeps going down for Andy. :(

Whatever the problem, he needs to find his path again. :sad:

His path is obviously muddy and he has deviated from it :tape:

star
02-25-2006, 05:28 PM
No, his path was green and strewn with flowers... now he has strayed into the muddy field. :)

Corey Feldman
02-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Roddick's path has a few shoe prints of golden nike sneakers with the name Federer, trampled over it.
:p:p

Geniey2g
02-25-2006, 06:51 PM
haha a french quilifier.

how sad..

i'm ashammed to be an american, John Mcenroe is the ONLY one to win a title in FEB, how sad
LMAO!!

And just for the record, 3/31 returns is bloody disgusting.

tangerine_dream
02-25-2006, 10:54 PM
If it makes you feel better, Julien isn't really a nobody. He had his moments. He happened to beat Robredo last year, Fish, Ljubicic, Ferrer, Nadal in 2004 and was ranked inside the top 100. He is a good double player too.
Eh, Benneteau IS a nobody. Ranked outside the top 100. Roddick owns used to own him. Losing a TB to him? Come on. A Top 5 player like Roddick should've wiped the floor with him like he did at AO. Tommy Haas' SF scoreline was exactly what Andy should have done. These lower-ranked players smell blood and Andy is letting them play the match of their lives.

Oh, I'll probably be a Roddick fan for the rest of my life. He's just playing very badly and is in a slump right now. Happens to everyone (except Roger ;) ) In my mind, there's nowhere to go but up. :)

Roddick is on awful form. This is probably his worst run of results for 3 years but he is still in the top 20 in the champions race. This shows how highly even those who hate him regard him, people are saying he is playing really really terrible but there are only 17 who have started the year better than he.
Agreed. The fact that everyone, even his obsessed haters, realize how badly Roddick is playing is a good sign. :lol: I remain optimistic. It's only February. He has started out very bad before and recovered later in the year. He still has time to find his way.

binkygirl
02-26-2006, 10:58 AM
What is going on in Andy's head? Maybe he's suffering from some sort of mental problem he doesn't want made public.

Could he be mentally burnt out? The wheels are really falling off now.

stebs
02-26-2006, 11:11 AM
What is going on in Andy's head? Maybe he's suffering from some sort of mental problem he doesn't want made public.

Could he be mentally burnt out? The wheels are really falling off now.

Or maybe he hired his brother as a coach.

binkygirl
02-26-2006, 11:27 AM
i think i agree with most of the posts, that he is living his brothers dream, because when ever they mention Roddick in the booth or something, or always mention what a great junior player his brother was, and that he has a school in San Antiono or something like that.

Have you ever noticed how much taller Andy is compared to the rest of his family? I've heard a rumor that he had growth hormone shots as a teenager so that he could be a better player; supposedly, his brother had everything, but the right height to turn pro.

superpinkone37
02-26-2006, 07:24 PM
oh.

partygirl
02-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Have you ever noticed how much taller Andy is compared to the rest of his family? I've heard a rumor that he had growth hormone shots as a teenager so that he could be a better player; supposedly, his brother had everything, but the right height to turn pro.

he is tall.

zethand
02-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Benneteau my new hero.. I love you Benneteau! (little late but he worth it) :D

binkygirl
02-28-2006, 01:05 AM
he is tall.

Andy is tall, but it is just odd that neither parent is tall nor his brothers. I've also seen a photo of his grandma and she is average height as well.

Jordanjames
02-28-2006, 01:17 AM
Andy is very tall but his movement has been suspect. Andy doesn't move well like Federer or Safin or Nadal and they are all over 6 foot 1. The problem with Roddick is that he doesn't do enough work to improve his movement I notice his footwork is horrible he also doesn't anticipate very well either...

federated
02-28-2006, 02:39 AM
Andy is tall, but it is just odd that neither parent is tall nor his brothers. I've also seen a photo of his grandma and she is average height as well.

That's not enough info and not that odd. My dad is 5' 11 and my mom is 5' 6''. I'm 5' 7'' and my sisters are 5' 8" and 5' 10".

My baby brother is 6' 7". :eek:

All my grandparents were avg height or shortish except for my 6' 1" grand dad.

Merton
02-28-2006, 03:59 AM
Andy runs on zero confidence right now, he will slide significantly if he fails to defend his semifinal points from last year IW. At this point, sadly, a slide like Agassi's in the 90's appears a real possibility.

azza
02-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Bump.

merce
02-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Come on guys is not the end of the world, andy just needs to put some stuff back together and will be just fine...I hope

NATAS81
02-28-2006, 11:47 AM
BG is the answer whether you like it or not.

Pigpen Stinks
02-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Andy is very tall but his movement has been suspect. Andy doesn't move well like Federer or Safin or Nadal and they are all over 6 foot 1. The problem with Roddick is that he doesn't do enough work to improve his movement I notice his footwork is horrible he also doesn't anticipate very well either...

Good point. Footwork and anticipation are two areas where he could use vast improvement. His lack of anticipation is one of the prime reasons he's so imcompetent at the net. It's one thing to come to the net only when you have an easy sitter to put away, it's an entirely different thing when your opponent actually makes you volley the ball.

There's a misconception that great volleyers like McEnroe, Edberg and Cash anticipate so well due to some innate ability or sixth sense that tells them where the opponent is hitting the ball the split second they're about to make contact. Well, this sixth sense is acquired through years of practice. The great volleyers know exactly when to make their move based on their own positioning, their opponents' positioning, knowing what type of shot the played can produce, etc.

Unfortunately, Mr. Roddick exhibits none of these learned traits. His coaches need to share blame for this. I think his early success is also largely to blame. With a seve like his and the much more penetrating forehand that he used to hit, many of his shortcomings (particularly his shoddy net play) were disguised. As more players catch up to his serve, this will continue to be exposed. The Bagdhatis match was the perfect example. Andy realized that he was on the short end of the stick in the baseline rallies, so he started working his way into net, and even served and volleyed some. If he wasn't passing him outright, Bagdhatis would dump one at Roddick's feet and then put away the next one.

He could probably learn a lot from the Bryan boys. All those drills they do are keyed on learning how to anticipate at the net. Playing fewer tournaments and playing doubles in those tournaments wouldn't be a bad idea. Not suggesting he needs to become a serve and volleyer, but he could add a much needed dimension to his game by improving his net skills. Now, he often looks like a lost pup up there. :dog: