The teens will take over the ATP tour.. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The teens will take over the ATP tour..

Jordanjames
02-25-2006, 02:36 AM
The American media say that Roddick and Hewitt are Federer's main challengers..but I get the feeling the teens are already pushing them aside. Andy Murray's dramatic and incredible win at the San Jose event over Roddick and Hewitt I sense is a stepping stone. Notice how I say stepping stone..I'm not saying Andy or the other teens are at the top yet. But I sense in less than 2 years...Murray or Gasquet or Monfils or that Cryprus kid..are going to win a major. I also sense that Nadal and the other teens are going to push Roddick and Hewitt aside. I just feel the teens have no fear..and Roddick and Hewitt they are very afraid and have a lot of fear...I also don't think Blake, Ginepri, Fish, or Dent are the real deal. These guys are now at least 23 to 26 years of age..and they have failed to show they are real contenders. Ginepri and Blake lost in the first round again. They are simply too inconsistent.

*Viva Chile*
02-25-2006, 02:38 AM
The American media say that Roddick and Hewitt are Federer's main challengers..but I get the feeling the teens are already pushing them aside. Andy Murray's dramatic and incredible win at the San Jose event over Roddick and Hewitt I sense is a stepping stone. Notice how I say stepping stone..I'm not saying Andy or the other teens are at the top yet. But I sense in less than 2 years...Murray or Gasquet or Monfils or that Cryprus kid..are going to win a major. I also sense that Nadal and the other teens are going to push Roddick and Hewitt aside. I just feel the teens have no fear..and Roddick and Hewitt they are very afraid and have a lot of fear...I also don't think Blake, Ginepri, Fish, or Dent are the real deal. These guys are now at least 23 to 26 years of age..and they have failed to show they are real contenders. Ginepri and Blake lost in the first round again. They are simply too inconsistent.
Wow man, you look very good in red :devil:

savesthedizzle
02-25-2006, 02:39 AM
The American media are mostly idiots when it comes to hyping up Roddick as a challenger to Federer. They've been doing it for years and we're all just sitting here twiddling our thumbs waiting for it to happen. That's old news.

That Cyprus kid was even in a final once. Not a huge step to think he'd win one.

:rolls:

Sjengster
02-25-2006, 02:39 AM
I sincerely hope you're right, since I find their games much more enjoyable and versatile than Roddick, Hewitt, Ginepri et al. But it's still dangerous to speculate too much; I have a feeling both Roddick and Hewitt have another major left in there somewhere, an unexpected resurgence and surprise victory, even if it is down to Federer being sub-par or absent or whatever excuse may be offered. And while the teenage pack is a promising one, not everyone among them will be able to follow the script - perhaps some will succeed and others fail, perhaps one will emerge from that generation to stand head and shoulders above the rest, rather like Federer has. I know that many would say Nadal already has separated himself from those his age, but I almost don't count him with the rest just because his level of development is so far ahead of the others, it's almost unfair to lump them all together.

Jordanjames
02-25-2006, 02:45 AM
I like the attitude of Murray, Gasquet and Monfils, Nadal and that Cyprus kid..I forgot how to spell his name..Anyhow, also isn't there a teen from Croatia..I notice the media never talk about him..but he just beat Henman..today and is in the semifinals of Rotterdam..I just feel the teens have more balance in their games..they can serve, volley, slice use lobs and angles. Roddick is too one dimensional...I just don't like his game..He keeps on talking about hitting his serve big..he still says stuff like that..or about he wants to have a monster serve day. Roddick's problem is his serve is predictable..players have figured out..all you got to do to beat Roddick is block his serve back, attack his backhand..move him around..and you've got a great chance to beat him. Roddick doesn't move very well...his movement is horrible..I think he's slightly out of shape..he seems lethargic on the court...I just love the teens games...They seem to have no fear..its nice because on the WTA I'm not really impressed with the teen girls...like Ivanovic, or Viadalsova, or Kirlenko...I don't see them making the leap to the top yet. Yet with the teen boys Nadal made his move last year, Monfils, Gasquet, and Murray all have won ATP tour titles now...I think its only a matter of time before the teens take over...

Sjengster
02-25-2006, 02:47 AM
A little word of advice; referring to Djokovic as "that kid from Croatia" will only invite further red dots, particularly from one of the respondents above.

savesthedizzle
02-25-2006, 02:48 AM
A little word of advice; referring to Djokovic as "that kid from Croatia" will only invite further red dots, particularly from one of the respondents above.

:rolls: Nah I don't bad rep people who refer to people as "that kid from cyprus" or "that kid from croatia" I thought he was talking about Cilic until I read the beat Henman part :p

savesthedizzle
02-25-2006, 02:50 AM
Your right about the american media, it's only becacue we have nobody else here looking promissing so we hype up are best player.
My favorite teens are Gasquet and Murry.
I should cheer for the americans scince im american, but thers nothing to cheer for.

I stopped cheering for the Americans because I was American years ago ;) I do cheer for Justin Gimelstob though. :lol:

savesthedizzle
02-25-2006, 02:51 AM
I like the attitude of Murray, Gasquet and Monfils, Nadal and that Cyprus kid..I forgot how to spell his name..Anyhow, also isn't there a teen from Croatia..I notice the media never talk about him..but he just beat Henman..today and is in the semifinals of Rotterdam..I just feel the teens have more balance in their games..they can serve, volley, slice use lobs and angles. Roddick is too one dimensional...I just don't like his game..He keeps on talking about hitting his serve big..he still says stuff like that..or about he wants to have a monster serve day. Roddick's problem is his serve is predictable..players have figured out..all you got to do to beat Roddick is block his serve back, attack his backhand..move him around..and you've got a great chance to beat him. Roddick doesn't move very well...his movement is horrible..I think he's slightly out of shape..he seems lethargic on the court...I just love the teens games...They seem to have no fear..its nice because on the WTA I'm not really impressed with the teen girls...like Ivanovic, or Viadalsova, or Kirlenko...I don't see them making the leap to the top yet. Yet with the teen boys Nadal made his move last year, Monfils, Gasquet, and Murray all have won ATP tour titles now...I think its only a matter of time before the teens take over...

The kid from Croatia... Cilic... promising.

But you mean the kid from Serbia... Djokovic... who wasn't in the semifinals, it was the quarterfinals. :p

Honest mistakes though, nothing worth red dots for :)

Sjengster
02-25-2006, 02:53 AM
Honest mistakes though, nothing worth red dots for :)

Yes, that was a piece of idle speculation on my part. ;)

Tourmalante
02-25-2006, 02:54 AM
If Federer wins Wimbledon this year, Roddick won't win another major ever. Just picture this: at the beginning of 2006 and 2005 there was a media blitz of articles talking of Roddick's renewed focus and determination, and his many arduous hours on the practice court and in the gym during the offseason. Do you think Andy can really muster another carpe diem mindset in December of this year with yet another 12 months without a trophy of any worth, and still more pernicious questions and doubts?

The established guard of elite players except for Federer, Nadal (he is as young as the new group but he is established and so an anomaly), and perhaps Safin will be pushed to the sidelines in the next two years.

savesthedizzle
02-25-2006, 03:04 AM
Wasnt he the one diving all over the cort at the us open?

Probably. Although I think he was getting American media attention for his dives at Wimbledon this summer. :lol:

Dirk
02-25-2006, 03:08 AM
I sincerely hope you're right, since I find their games much more enjoyable and versatile than Roddick, Hewitt, Ginepri et al. But it's still dangerous to speculate too much; I have a feeling both Roddick and Hewitt have another major left in there somewhere, an unexpected resurgence and surprise victory, even if it is down to Federer being sub-par or absent or whatever excuse may be offered. And while the teenage pack is a promising one, not everyone among them will be able to follow the script - perhaps some will succeed and others fail, perhaps one will emerge from that generation to stand head and shoulders above the rest, rather like Federer has. I know that many would say Nadal already has separated himself from those his age, but I almost don't count him with the rest just because his level of development is so far ahead of the others, it's almost unfair to lump them all together.

This is true. They all will not be slam winners and big stars. We just have to wait and see which one of them does it besides Nadal. I think Murray and Baggy are the best bets.

veyonce
02-25-2006, 07:16 AM
What about Donald Young?? The American media seems to be pinning their hopes on him as the next big thing when he turn pro...

gomarray
02-25-2006, 07:36 AM
Alot of people are saying that Young is very talented, and I have heard comparisons to Marcelo Rios. Bollettieri stated that Young is a "top 5 talent," but many insiders suggest that his lack of size (5 foot 9) will hurt him. At the same age (16 years 7 months) , Murray had already won matches in challengers and a futures title, but you never know at what rate somebody will develop their game. At his size, Donald will have to grind alot more to get to the top than the last American teen success (Roddick) did, and only time will tell if he can be the next American hope.

federated
02-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Your right about the american media, it's only becacue we have nobody else here looking promissing so we hype up are best player.
My favorite teens are Gasquet and Murry.
I should cheer for the americans scince im american, but thers nothing to cheer for.

same. I think Blake is a wonderful guy--the miss congeniality of men's tennis--but I only really root for agassi. I'm taking a pass on patriotism until donald young makes his move (those gorgeous eyes! that winning smile!).

But it is a shame that tennis media is so nationalistic. I don't know why it annoys me in the U.S. while I find the british fanboys, err media, hankering after murray sort of cute.

I really like nadal and baghdatis because you can tell ALL journalists are just thoroughly charmed by them both and you get cheerleadery to fair assessments of their games from the int'l media.

federated
02-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Alot of people are saying that Young is very talented, and I have heard comparisons to Marcelo Rios. Bollettieri stated that Young is a "top 5 talent," but many insiders suggest that his lack of size (5 foot 9) will hurt him. At the same age (16 years 7 months) , Murray had already won matches in challengers and a futures title, but you never know at what rate somebody will develop their game. At his size, Donald will have to grind alot more to get to the top than the last American teen success (Roddick) did, and only time will tell if he can be the next American hope.

Young may still be growing. My baby brother is 6'7 and had growth spurts at 13 and then again at 17.

Nathaliia
02-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Baghdatis a teen? *sigh* Then count me as a teen, too and I am even few months younger than Baghdatis.

Then really count Cilic and Del Potro (both born in 1988) instead.

And yes, I also think the young group are more interesting than Hewitt and especially Roddick. As about Nadal, I don't like him, but in fact he is STILL a teen for these few months left and he surely belongs to this generation and after 30 years nobody would remember he bloomed out 2 years earlier.

Nathaliia
02-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Young can vanish in the stuff that surrounds him. Really, kids his age already had some successes, and he should play futures events instead of getting ATP WC's which only bring him down because he is overplayed by others.

A WC to the challenger should be a gift for this "young" Young. Plus he isn't performing well in juniors either now.

Jordanjames
02-25-2006, 08:28 PM
I don't think the Americans are doing Young right. The boy is obviously very talented he won the Australian Open juniors last year at age 15. However, I feel he should play challengers and not be put into main ATP tour events. I also think young should continue to play juniors. The child is only 15 or 16..he is still a bit too young to be playing against grown men on the ATP tour..his body isn't developed enough yet..All Donald Young needs is a bit more time...to develop his game...

Fee
02-26-2006, 04:55 AM
Donald Young will be 17 in April. He has not played an ATP tour event this year, and outside of qualifying for one, I doubt that he will. He has been playing Futures and Challengers events so far this year (where he belongs). Blame the poor career decisions on his parents, but thankfully it seems that tournament directors are leaving him alone this year.

TennisGrandSlam
02-26-2006, 05:05 AM
I like the attitude of Murray, Gasquet and Monfils, Nadal and that Cyprus kid ..I forgot how to spell his name..Anyhow, also isn't there a teen from Croatia..I notice the media never talk about him..but he just beat Henman..today and is in the semifinals of Rotterdam..I just feel the teens have more balance in their games..they can serve, volley, slice use lobs and angles. Roddick is too one dimensional...I just don't like his game..He keeps on talking about hitting his serve big..he still says stuff like that..or about he wants to have a monster serve day. Roddick's problem is his serve is predictable..players have figured out..all you got to do to beat Roddick is block his serve back, attack his backhand..move him around..and you've got a great chance to beat him. Roddick doesn't move very well...his movement is horrible..I think he's slightly out of shape..he seems lethargic on the court...I just love the teens games...They seem to have no fear..its nice because on the WTA I'm not really impressed with the teen girls...like Ivanovic, or Viadalsova, or Kirlenko...I don't see them making the leap to the top yet. Yet with the teen boys Nadal made his move last year, Monfils, Gasquet, and Murray all have won ATP tour titles now...I think its only a matter of time before the teens take over...

All are the future!

(They played well in finals with Federer, Richard and Rafa also won Roger in other tournaments)

belco
02-26-2006, 05:13 AM
teens will rule the world until a new bunch come along and dominate :D

binkygirl
02-26-2006, 11:26 AM
What about Donald Young?? The American media seems to be pinning their hopes on him as the next big thing when he turn pro...

Andre Agassi is only 5'10 and 150 pounds. Donald is 5'9 and 145 pounds, so I don't think his size would be that much of a problem. He may grow more, he's only 16 or 17, right?

I do think that tournament should stop throwing wild cards at Young, because the only success he's had professionally is at the Futures level. He needs to start out there and grind his way to playing consistently at the Challenger level. Then, giving him wild cards to main ATP draws.

The person who started the thread is right on about their being a generational shift. Murray, Gasquet, Monfil, Baghdatis, and Nadal are without a doubt the newgeneration. I could see Nadal beefing up his game and becoming a threat on hard courts.