Why did Murray drape himself with the British flag? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why did Murray drape himself with the British flag?

tangerine_dream
02-24-2006, 06:03 PM
One: what the point of Murray draping himself with the British flag after he won the SAP Open? It's a small tournament, not the Davis Cup, and he looked rather ridiculous parading around like that. :retard:

Two: If he felt the need to be nationalistic then why not drape himself in the Scottish flag instead? A lot of people who aren't either British or Scottish are probably becoming confused over what he's supposed to be and represent. No wonder the media keeps getting his nationality wrong.

Fee
02-24-2006, 06:05 PM
It was given to him by a member of the crowd when he went up to hug and kiss Kim. There was only one Scottish flag in the Arena and it was way up in the stands. It was his first title, so I can understand him feeling all emotional and sentimental in that moment. :)

jackieglover
02-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Because he's god's gift to tennis. He may do as he pleases. :p

*Viva Chile*
02-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Chilean players used to do that when they win a title, I don't see any ridiculous conduct on this, you must be proud that your countryman represent your country in a far territory ;)

ExpectedWinner
02-24-2006, 06:37 PM
He watched too much Olympics on TV. ;)

uNIVERSE mAN
02-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Because winning the SAP Open has been a dream of all brits, and we're living it through him. Truly an epic performance and one of the best moments in british sports history.

Horatio Caine
02-24-2006, 06:51 PM
What was ridiculous about that? He had just beaten Roddick and Hewit, even if it was a small tourney :lol:

Marat Safinator
02-24-2006, 06:53 PM
been a dream of all brits winning SAP Open, some people haven't even heard of it :retard:

Fee
02-24-2006, 07:00 PM
:secret: pretty sure universe man was being a bit facetious...

stebs
02-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Two: If he felt the need to be nationalistic then why not drape himself in the Scottish flag instead? A lot of people who aren't either British or Scottish are probably becoming confused over what he's supposed to be and represent. No wonder the media keeps getting his nationality wrong.

He is British.

Sjengster
02-24-2006, 07:12 PM
One: what the point of Murray draping himself with the British flag after he won the SAP Open? It's a small tournament, not the Davis Cup, and he looked rather ridiculous parading around like that. :retard:

One: first tournament victory, and yes universe man is taking the piss as always, but winning your first event beating Roddick and Hewitt back to back is quite an achievement; besides, it was thrown to him, he didn't go up and get it.

Two: the political geography of Britain may be confusing to those outside its shores, but there is no excuse for news reports and articles to keep referring to him as English. There is, indeed, no excuse for Americans in particular to keep referring to Britain as "England". I find it strange that the concept of being both Scottish and British is such a strange one for many people to grasp.

keep_er_lit!
02-24-2006, 07:13 PM
He is British.

Exactly, I really don't see a problem with him draping himself with a Union Flag when he is British - I'm just as proud to be British as I am to be Northern Irish. Andy's pointed out on many occasions that he's Scottish, if his being Scottish and British confuses people then that's their problem. How anyone can get a job in the media and get confused by that is totally beyond me though.

Corey Feldman
02-24-2006, 07:27 PM
There is, indeed, no excuse for Americans in particular to keep referring to Britain as "England". I find it strange that the concept of being both Scottish and British is such a strange one for many people to grasp.they probably also think Wales is a little town west of london.

tangerine_dream
02-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Because winning the SAP Open has been a dream of all brits, and we're living it through him. Truly an epic performance and one of the best moments in british sports history.
Heh.

He is British.
:eek: Escude will get you for that. :bolt:

keep_er_lit!
02-24-2006, 07:28 PM
they probably also think Wales is a little town west of london.

It isn't? :devil:

westlondon
02-24-2006, 07:33 PM
tangerine dream - murray has said on numerous occasions things like " iwanted to keep the brits going"

he considers himself scottish AND british.

i consider myself english and british - would honour either flag.

just because you are obviously anti-brit does not mean every other scot is.

murrays proud to be both, you're not proud of where you come from. oh well, your issue not his and not ours either.

ridiculous post from you.

AgassiDomination
02-24-2006, 07:34 PM
tangerine dream - murray has said on numerous occasions things like " iwanted to keep the brits going"

murrays proud to be both, you're not proud of where you come from. oh well, your issue not his and not ours either.

Ridiculous.

Corey Feldman
02-24-2006, 07:35 PM
British Davis cup team v Switzerland last year:
Muzza - Scotland
Roger FedMackin - Scotland
Rusedski - Canadian

:devil:

tangerine_dream
02-24-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm not anti-Brit, just anti-Britney Spears. :silly:

I'm also not a native Scott but am just a poser. :p

westlondon
02-24-2006, 07:36 PM
in fact i dont think you are even scottish come to think of it now, which makes this post of yours all the more ridiculous for you have a flag as your avatar from somewhere accross the world from you.

Because you are probably a)ignorant, or more likely b) an ignorant american, great britain contains scotland wales england and northern ireland. If you come from one of these 4 you are automatically british as well.

did well in geography at school?

keep_er_lit!
02-24-2006, 07:37 PM

Where exactly did tangerine dream say she wasn't proud of where she comes from? :rolleyes:

westlondon
02-24-2006, 07:37 PM
explain why thats ridiculous agassidomination ? i'd love to be enlightened....

tangerine_dream
02-24-2006, 07:39 PM
in fact i dont think you are even scottish come to think of it now, which makes this post of yours all the more ridiculous for you have a flag as your avatar from somewhere accross the world from you.

Because you are probably a)ignorant, or more likely b) an ignorant american, great britain contains scotland wales england and northern ireland. If you come from one of these 4 you are automatically british as well.

I think you took my first post waaaay too seriously but thanks for playing anyway.

keep_er_lit!
02-24-2006, 07:39 PM

Actually Great Britain contains only England, Scotland and Wales.
The United Kingdom contains England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Who's ignorant now? :rolleyes:

westlondon
02-24-2006, 07:41 PM
well YES I know that but i was keeping things simple.

stebs
02-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Heh.
Escude will get you for that. :bolt:

No he won't.

Scotland is part of the British Isles.

Corey Feldman
02-24-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm also not a native Scott but am just a poser. :pand id still make you at least 33% more scottish than Adee-Gee
:p

lau
02-24-2006, 07:43 PM
He watched too much Olympics on TV. ;)
:lol:

vault123
02-24-2006, 07:45 PM
we in Britain all love Andy Murry because we have know one else.

Sjengster
02-24-2006, 07:45 PM

Um, I wouldn't worry about the flag discrepancy mate. I mean, I wish that I had set sight upon the glorious golden sands of Djibouti at some stage of my life, but at the moment that's just a pipe dream, sadly. ;)

Pity though, I did rather like the idea of tangy the Scottish Nationalist. She doesn't have a tangerine dream, she has a tartan dream! And 'twas her ancestors who participated in the '45, I tell ye!

Fee
02-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Sjengster, you crack me up.

To answer this once and for all, Murray is British when he wins and Scottish when he loses (according to the London based media, right?) ;)

Sjengster
02-24-2006, 07:48 PM
You betcha.

keep_er_lit!
02-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Sjengster, you crack me up.

To answer this once and for all, Murray is British when he wins and Scottish when he loses (according to the London based media, right?) ;)

Spot on.

AgassiDomination
02-24-2006, 07:49 PM

Okay, let me enlighten you then, since you asked.
He wants to keep the Brits going, thats fine. Americans want American tennis to keep going as well. Tell me, do you see them draped in the US flag?

As for Tangy being anti-British, well thats just stupid because she isn't. But she is a big girl and doesn't need me to back her up on this.

Hows that? :rolleyes:

Sjengster
02-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Well AD, I take your second point, but I don't quite understand your first. Had a young American player won their first title in a foreign country, would not they also have had recourse to the Stars and Stripes afterwards? It's not like Murray's going to make a habit of it.

vincayou
02-24-2006, 07:53 PM
well YES I know that but i was keeping things simple.

That's why we say he's english, we want to keep things simple.

Corey Feldman
English dont embrace haggis

AgassiDomination
Well AD, I take your second point, but I don't quite understand your first. Had a young American player won their first title in a foreign country, would not they also have had recourse to the Stars and Stripes afterwards? It's not like Murray's going to make a habit of it.
Its not like I care much about the draped flag. But I don't think I've seen anyone else do it outside of Davis Cup? Now I feel like this is a lot of hub-bub about nothing...

tangerine_dream
02-24-2006, 07:55 PM
they probably also think Wales is a little town west of london.
I use the Wales flag for my WTA persona. :angel:

He wants to keep the Brits going, thats fine. Americans want American tennis to keep going as well. Tell me, do you see them draped in the US flag?
I don't see *anybody* who drapes themself with a flag after winning their first foreign tournament. That's why it looked so odd to me when Andy did it.

I think maybe it's just about the Brits having a fight with the Scots over who can claim him. :p

Corey Feldman
02-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Okay, let me enlighten you then, since you asked.
He wants to keep the Brits going, thats fine. Americans want American tennis to keep going as well. Tell me, do you see them draped in the US flag?Off course not

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/tennis/img9228589.jpg

AgassiDomination
02-24-2006, 08:00 PM
When was this?

tangerine_dream
02-24-2006, 08:03 PM
When was this?
It was during Davis Cup earlier this month. :lol:

It certainly wasn't when he won Lyon last year. :p

vault123
02-24-2006, 08:04 PM
We all love murray he can drape him self in the union jack if he wants.

Corey Feldman
02-24-2006, 08:07 PM
I think maybe it's just about the Brits having a fight with the Scots over who can claim him. :pBut he wore then brit flag then :sad:
wake up to the motherland muzza, its scottish first, britsh second :(
or for me Paisley first, scottish second. End.

tangerine_dream
02-24-2006, 08:13 PM
and id still make you at least 33% more scottish than Adee-Gee :p
lol. Adee-gee can't claim a clan tartan like I can. :D

Fee
02-24-2006, 08:14 PM
See what you've started Tangy? Obviously, you must be banned from MTF...

vault123
02-24-2006, 08:15 PM
I don't care I am from London Ithink Andy Murray a Great Tennis player and I love Scotland and I have been to Paisly which is a lovly town.

Sjengster
02-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Good for you, vault. I've only been to Scotland once, on a summer holiday 12 years ago, and amazingly enough, the weather was perfectly sunny the whole time. I wonder if it'll be like that again after a dozen-year interval if I go back this year....

Corey Feldman
02-24-2006, 08:20 PM
and I have been to Paisly which is a lovly town.Paisley..
it is a lovely town isnt it :)
home sweet home.

Fee
02-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Good for you, vault. I've only been to Scotland once, on a summer holiday 12 years ago, and amazingly enough, the weather was perfectly sunny the whole time. I wonder if it'll be like that again after a dozen-year interval if I go back this year....

Give global warming a few more years and it will be positively tropical!

vault123
02-24-2006, 08:26 PM
yes it is, but I am open minded.

Marat Safinator
02-24-2006, 09:03 PM
al you english people are trying to grab a scot and stick him under the name of a " brit " cause you can't find anybody apart from henman with any talent as the great greg is canadian

Sjengster
02-24-2006, 09:07 PM
al you english people are trying to grab a scot and stick him under the name of a " brit " cause you can't find anybody apart from henman with any talent as the great greg is canadian

But as I've already explained in another thread about Murray a little while back, the great thing about the Act of Union is that we don't have to grab a Scot and make them glory in the name of Briton; it's automatic, it's done. It's already happened. 'Tis this constitutional arrangement that makes him British, we just happen to reap the rewards. :D

Fee
02-24-2006, 09:09 PM
If the British tennis federation gave Murray any training money, they have every right to claim him (even if he got mad at them for they way they treated his brother).

tangerine_dream
02-24-2006, 09:14 PM
See what you've started Tangy? Obviously, you must be banned from MTF...
Noooo :awww:

Sjengster
02-24-2006, 09:14 PM
The LTA have had very little to do with Murray's tactical development, of course, most of it is the result of training in Barcelona with Spanish players. But here's the thing - neither did they have much influence on Henman's progress into the senior ranks. And no one seems to be complaining about his status as Britain's top player for the best part of a decade.

RogiFan88
02-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Actually I think Wee Andrew s have draped himself in a big Catalan flag, as a sort of tribute to his fine Sanchez-Casals training. I'm sure Emilio w appreciate it. ;)

NyGeL
02-24-2006, 09:28 PM
FREEDOM!!!

Sjengster
02-24-2006, 09:51 PM
FREEDOM!!!

They may take our lives.... and they also seem to have taken our freedom. Oh well. :p

NYCtennisfan
02-24-2006, 09:56 PM

LOL!

revolution
02-24-2006, 11:17 PM
If he changed the wording to 'tennis', it would make sense considering the amount of disappointments we've had in it.

Socket
02-25-2006, 01:06 AM
One: first tournament victory, and yes universe man is taking the piss as always, but winning your first event beating Roddick and Hewitt back to back is quite an achievement; besides, it was thrown to him, he didn't go up and get it.

Two: the political geography of Britain may be confusing to those outside its shores, but there is no excuse for news reports and articles to keep referring to him as English. There is, indeed, no excuse for Americans in particular to keep referring to Britain as "England". I find it strange that the concept of being both Scottish and British is such a strange one for many people to grasp.
Hey, we won the Revolution and we'll call the loser whatever we damn well want. ;) ;)

blosson
02-25-2006, 01:19 AM
I think it can be quite confusing if you are not from here, in the football (let's say the world cup for example) the countries are separed as England, Scotland, Wales and such. In Rugby, things are also separated but during the Olympics we are Great Britain, in tennis we wish it's England but it has to be Great Britain for lack of choice :lol:

Federerthebest
02-25-2006, 01:20 AM
it's because britain is pretty crap at sport for a country its size, so whenever they win anything, even if it is minor, they celebrate like there's no tomorrow

revolution
02-25-2006, 01:24 AM
Sure, we're the asshole of the world.

Sjengster
02-25-2006, 01:29 AM
Hey, we won the Revolution and we'll call the loser whatever we damn well want. ;) ;)

Come now, you don't see people from Vietnam going around referring to His Majesty's Colonies, do you? :p

Lou_Lou_Ferrero
02-25-2006, 01:42 AM
oh for goodness sake. (aimed at no one in particular, just a general sigh)

Sjengster
02-25-2006, 01:45 AM
Lou Lou, I stopped taking this thread seriously a fair while ago.

Socket
02-25-2006, 01:50 AM
Come now, you don't see people from Vietnam going around referring to His Majesty's Colonies, do you? :p
They might in French, since Viet Nam was a French colony. :p :p

Lou_Lou_Ferrero
02-25-2006, 01:52 AM
Lou Lou, I stopped taking this thread seriously a fair while ago.

seems the only way to read it doesn't it??!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :devil: :devil:

who gives a damn about the intricate semantics of Britain/Scotland/N.Ireland/Lapland/Narnia....... not me.... non, no, niet, nien... and i'm half english, half scottish and all british... hehehehehehe :devil: :angel: :devil: :angel:

Sjengster
02-25-2006, 01:55 AM
They might in French, since Viet Nam was a French colony. :p :p

Then I suppose they would always think of Louisiana as a little (well, substantial) piece of mother France, and erase the 1803 Purchase from their history books. ;)

gusman890
02-25-2006, 01:56 AM
WHY DID HE DO IT?

because he wanted to.

END OF STORY

Socket
02-25-2006, 01:56 AM
English dont embrace haggis
Embracing haggis sounds even worse than eating it. :scared:

Sjengster
02-25-2006, 01:57 AM
seems the only way to read it doesn't it??!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :devil: :devil:

who gives a damn about the intricate semantics of Britain/Scotland/N.Ireland/Lapland/Narnia....... not me.... non, no, niet, nien... and i'm half english, half scottish and all british... hehehehehehe :devil: :angel: :devil: :angel:

Intricate semantics are always interesting, they can provide a fascinating talking point. While I am no rabid nationalist, neither do I subscribe to the wishy-washy theory that "the world is our home", and everything would be so much better if we didn't have, like, national borders and stuff. ;)

Socket
02-25-2006, 01:58 AM
Then I suppose they would always think of Louisiana as a little (well, substantial) piece of mother France, and erase the 1803 Purchase from their history books. ;)
Don't you know that we gave Louisiana back to the French last August? :p

Sjengster
02-25-2006, 01:58 AM
Embracing haggis sounds even worse than eating it. :scared:

You don't want to get entrails on your best frock, that's for sure.

Socket
02-25-2006, 01:59 AM
I still think the best Scottish invention is the fried Mars bar. You have to admire the people who thought that up. "Let's see, here's a chocolate-covered candy bar. How do you think it would taste if we deep fried it? Hmmmm."

Sjengster
02-25-2006, 02:01 AM
True, that is indisputably cuisine at its most heavenly, but it wouldn't mean anything without a deep fried pizza beforehand to really get the digestive juices flowing.

ginn1888
02-25-2006, 02:02 AM
True, that is indisputably cuisine at its most heavenly, but it wouldn't mean anything without a deep fried pizza beforehand to really get the digestive juices flowing.

LMFAO. You cant beat a deep fried pizza, big bag of chips and 2x 2 litre of Irn-Bru bottles to wash it down, mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!
:D

Sjengster
02-25-2006, 02:08 AM
It sounds like a truly wondrous repast. Sadly, the Scottish nouvelle cusine has not yet penetrated south of the border.

Lee
02-25-2006, 02:08 AM
Well, I'm here to contribute more vcash to tangerine dream :angel:

Kristen
02-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Because you are probably a)ignorant, or more likely b) an ignorant american, great britain contains scotland wales england and northern ireland. If you come from one of these 4 you are automatically british as well.You should be MTF President.

PS. I'd mention the recent win in the Ashes, if I thought people here knew what it was. Goooo England! (But no more Ashes, ok? ;))

Truc
02-25-2006, 11:16 AM
I was wondering about the same thing when I saw Murray the other day (I mean just the fact that he draped himself with a flag). I can't remember a lot of players doing this (except in Davis Cup and at the Olympics), but maybe my memory fails me. I remember Hewitt draped in an Australian flag after his win in Wimbledon, VivaChile already mentioned the Chileans, Coria in Stuttgart in 2003... Who else does that? Is that so unusual in tennis?

stebs
02-25-2006, 11:20 AM
I still think the best Scottish invention is the fried Mars bar. You have to admire the people who thought that up. "Let's see, here's a chocolate-covered candy bar. How do you think it would taste if we deep fried it? Hmmmm."

That wasn't invented by the Scottish. :( :mad: :p

MisterQ
02-25-2006, 12:12 PM
At least he didn't play the bagpipes.

keep_er_lit!
02-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Without a doubt the greatest Scottish invention of all time is Irn Bru.

*Ljubica*
02-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Without a doubt the greatest Scottish invention of all time is Irn Bru.
Irn Bru is vile :devil: - but I'm ashamed to admit that my time living in Scotland got me somewhat addicted to deep-fried pizzas, - and deep-fried Mars Bars aren't that bad either - you just have to get over the thought of it before you eat one if that makes sense.

wally1
02-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Irn Bru is vile :devil: - but I'm ashamed to admit that my time living in Scotland got me somewhat addicted to deep-fried pizzas, - and deep-fried Mars Bars aren't that bad either - you just have to get over the thought of it before you eat one if that makes sense.

Can you get Irn Bru in the US? I always thought it made a nice change if bored of Coke/Pepsi (but not as nice as Tizer!)

Corey Feldman
02-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Embracing haggis sounds even worse than eating it. :scared::lol:

Jenrios
02-25-2006, 03:07 PM
It isn't? :devil:

typical joke from an Englishman, eh? :rolleyes:

Someoen handed Murray a Brit flag, so he used it - so what? He's Scottish and British.

*Ljubica*
02-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Can you get Irn Bru in the US? I always thought it made a nice change if bored of Coke/Pepsi (but not as nice as Tizer!)
Haven't got a clue :shrug: Unfortunately you can buy it here in London though - :devil: horrid stuff!!!

Horatio Caine
02-25-2006, 04:23 PM
Irn Bru is gorgeous! Haven't had it in years though :(

*Ljubica*
02-25-2006, 04:25 PM
Irn Bru is gorgeous! Haven't had it in years though :(
:eek: I thought you were a man of taste and discernment Jez....now I know the truth :bolt:

Horatio Caine
02-25-2006, 04:28 PM
:eek: I thought you were a man of taste and discernment Jez....now I know the truth :bolt:

Oh there are many things you don't know about me Rosie :aplot:

Horatio Caine
02-25-2006, 04:31 PM
...and deep-fried pizzas *searches for "sick" smilie* :lol:

*Ljubica*
02-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Oh there are many things you don't know about me Rosie :aplot:
I don't know how scared that ought to make me feel :unsure: And - don't deny it - deep fried pizzas are cool :cool:

Lou_Lou_Ferrero
02-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Intricate semantics are always interesting, they can provide a fascinating talking point. While I am no rabid nationalist, neither do I subscribe to the wishy-washy theory that "the world is our home", and everything would be so much better if we didn't have, like, national borders and stuff. ;)

i agree that they are interesting but i, personally, get annoyed when people start getting vicious and nit-picky over them..... i'm proud to be english, i'm proud to be scottish and i'm damn proud to be british...... although i'd prefer to be russian...ehehehehehe :devil:

keep_er_lit!
02-25-2006, 04:51 PM
typical joke from an Englishman, eh? :rolleyes:

Someoen handed Murray a Brit flag, so he used it - so what? He's Scottish and British.

Except I'm not English :p :angel:

almouchie
02-25-2006, 05:01 PM
very impressive first title for Andy
he can celebrate anyway he wants british scottish flag or any
let him enjoy his moment

MisterQ
02-25-2006, 05:06 PM
i agree that they are interesting but i, personally, get annoyed when people start getting vicious and nit-picky over them..... i'm proud to be english, i'm proud to be scottish and i'm damn proud to be british...... although i'd prefer to be russian...ehehehehehe :devil:

here's your beverage then: http://www.shetlandwhisky.com/media/nordic_ice_vodka2.jpg

helen phillips
02-25-2006, 05:41 PM
I worked with an Irish woman (from the South) who told me of all the independance movements (Wales, Ireland and Scotland) the lamest was Scotland. Even Wales had a bomb or two but Scotland never had any commitment to independance - more or less just groused about being under British rule but never took any real action. I don't know whether that is historically accurate or not. Her Granny lived on an IRA pension so I guess best to consider the source.

joeb_uk
02-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Haven't got a clue :shrug: Unfortunately you can buy it here in London though - :devil: horrid stuff!!!
:eek: It is sickening stuff indeed! Reminds of that crap cherryade. Both repulsive!!

Although, I always liked the irn bru fruit bar sweets :drool:

Horatio Caine
02-25-2006, 05:50 PM

OMG they were divine! Will look for them in my Students Union on Monday :devil:

joeb_uk
02-25-2006, 05:54 PM
OMG they were divine! Will look for them in my Students Union on Monday :devil:
I also loved the "lippi chicks" bars in that style! They were even nicer. I cant seem to find those now!

Horatio Caine
02-25-2006, 05:56 PM
I also loved the "lippi chicks" bars in that style! They were even nicer. I cant seem to find those now!

:lol: Not seen those...

*Ljubica*
02-25-2006, 05:58 PM
:eek: It is sickening stuff indeed! Reminds of that crap cherryade. Both repulsive!!

I have never had an Irn Bru fruit bar - do they taste anything like the real thing? And I agree with you - cherryade is :bolt:

Lou_Lou_Ferrero
02-25-2006, 06:02 PM
here's your beverage then: http://www.shetlandwhisky.com/media/nordic_ice_vodka2.jpg

spaciba!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

joeb_uk
02-25-2006, 06:04 PM
I have never had an Irn Bru fruit bar - do they taste anything like the real thing? And I agree with you - cherryade is :bolt:
Hmmmm I dont even know how irn bru tastes, I mean its just a nasty taste? Its hard to describe :D

The fruit bars of course dont taste like it, like alot of sweets of drinks :D They taste quite fruity I think.

*Ljubica*
02-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Hmmmm I dont even know how irn bru tastes, I mean its just a nasty taste? Its hard to describe :D

The fruit bars of course dont taste like it, like alot of sweets of drinks :D They taste quite fruity I think.
OK - well next time I go shopping I will seek one out and try it! I generally like fruit and muesli bars so I might like it. They can't be as bad as the drink anyway :devil:

joeb_uk
02-25-2006, 06:15 PM
OK - well next time I go shopping I will seek one out and try it! I generally like fruit and muesli bars so I might like it. They can't be as bad as the drink anyway :devil:
Maybe I described it wrong! But as the americans would call it, its a "candy bar" Not like a fruit bar. Its a chewy sweet :D But maybe you stil like those kind of things :D

http://www.sweetsncandy.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=IRNBRU060&cat=15

There they are :yeah:

Horatio Caine
02-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Maybe I described it wrong! But as the americans would call it, its a "candy bar" Not like a fruit bar. Its a chewy sweet :D But maybe you stil like those kind of things :D

OMG I want I want!!! :drool:

Corey Feldman
02-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Well Scotland just beat England at rugby tonight 18-12 :)!
so britain wins and britain loses :p

Fee
02-25-2006, 07:32 PM
As long as all of you Brits are congregating in this thread, I have a question. What ever happened to fizzy Ribena? I loved that drink, but I couldn't find it anywhere on my last visit in November. Was this only made for export? I'm sure I've bought it in England in the past, as well as the import shops here in California.

*Ljubica*
02-25-2006, 08:42 PM

No - I don't really like those kind of things :sad: I prefer muesli bars or flapjacks to candy, so maybe I will pass on the Irn Bru bars. Now I see the picture, I have seen them in the shops though, so I know what you mean now.

As for the fizzy Ribena Fee - I don't think I have ever seen it here - so maybe it was made only for export :confused: I don't much like Ribena myself (too sweet for my personal taste again I guess, like Joe's candy bars), but as far as I can ever recall, Ribena was always a still, non-carbonated drink. It used to be sold in bottles, but now more likely in small cartons.

Luka Matic
02-25-2006, 08:46 PM
You are talking about candy bar ???

OMG :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

*Ljubica*
02-25-2006, 08:52 PM
You are talking about candy bar ???

OMG :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Didn't you know us Brits are very eccentric :p

Corey Feldman
02-25-2006, 08:56 PM
which cat is that on the avatar Rosie? :)

*Ljubica*
02-25-2006, 09:12 PM
which cat is that on the avatar Rosie? :)
That's my "baby" Caspar - the youngest of them - just 9 months old now.

NyGeL
02-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Well Scotland just beat England at rugby tonight 18-12 :)!
so britain wins and britain loses :p

hahaha, I saw the match and I'm always happy when England lose :)

joeb_uk
02-25-2006, 09:47 PM
As long as all of you Brits are congregating in this thread, I have a question. What ever happened to fizzy Ribena? I loved that drink, but I couldn't find it anywhere on my last visit in November. Was this only made for export? I'm sure I've bought it in England in the past, as well as the import shops here in California.
Like most good things here, they come and go and are often limited edition or just stop being produced!!

They brought out this crappy "tooth kind" rubbish, and I guess they had to cancel the fizzy stuff (as a search on google shows no info on fizzy ribena).

joeb_uk
02-25-2006, 09:48 PM
:D Actually fee! Its known as carbonated ribena!

Some here:
http://www.britishdelights.com/ribena.htm

I wonder how many years old the bottle is :help:

Fee
02-25-2006, 10:15 PM
yay, that's the it exactly! Not as sweet as the original Ribena, pretty good stuff.

Thank you! :D :D :D

tangerine_dream
02-25-2006, 10:57 PM
I still think the best Scottish invention is the fried Mars bar.
And the British gave us the fried Twinkie. A delectable piece of culinary invention. What would the world do without these people? :worship:

Corey Feldman
02-25-2006, 11:03 PM
aye ;)

Socket
02-26-2006, 12:17 AM
And the British gave us the fried Twinkie. A delectable piece of culinary invention. What would the world do without these people? :worship:
Oh.My.God. :eek: :eek:

They did WHAT to a Twinkie???? Leave it to the Brits to tinker with perfection!!!! :mad: :mad: Where are Tom Paine and Paul Revere when you really need them???

Sjengster
02-26-2006, 01:11 AM
I'm not entirely sure what a twinkie is, so if we gave you the fried version of it, it was probably called something different over here. Pah, only Americans would come up with a daft name like twinkie.

Tennis Fool
02-26-2006, 01:15 AM
I'm not entirely sure what a twinkie is, so if we gave you the fried version of it, it was probably called something different over here. Pah, only Americans would come up with a daft name like twinkie.
You always seem confused by American terms and concepts. I remember the funny conversation with you over the term "eulogy".

When are you going to visit the US?

Corey Feldman
02-26-2006, 01:19 AM
Embrace the Twinkie.

Sjengster
02-26-2006, 02:08 AM
You always seem confused by American terms and concepts. I remember the funny conversation with you over the term "eulogy".

When are you going to visit the US?

I know what a eulogy is thank you very much, it's just that my understanding of it differs from yours. :p

It's not exactly top of my priorities at the moment, but I would like to get round to it sometime in the future. But then there are plenty of things I'd like to do in the future, but my bank account doesn't always agree with me over what they should be. ;)

Sjengster
02-26-2006, 02:11 AM
A Twinkie is a "Golden Sponge Cake with Creamy Filling" created by Hostess, and baked by Continental Baking Co, which is owned by Kansas City-based Interstate Bakeries Corporation.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie

I always thought it was some sort of pastry snack, but its exact composition was a mystery to me.

Socket
02-26-2006, 02:18 AM
Oh, you poor people, living Twinkie-deprived lives . . . :sad:

Sjengster
02-26-2006, 02:21 AM
Ah, big deal. You get along without beans on toast, we can survive without the pastry pleasures of the twinkie.

NATAS81
02-26-2006, 02:24 AM
BREAKFAST AT WIMBY BABY!

Fee
02-26-2006, 02:27 AM
I always thought it was some sort of pastry snack, but its exact composition was a mystery to me.

Its exact composition is a mystery to the people who make it, but it is reported to stay fresh in its packaging for 50 years (or something like that).

Sjengster
02-26-2006, 02:30 AM
Its exact composition is a mystery to the people who make it, but it is reported to stay fresh in its packaging for 50 years (or something like that).

I heard there was a tin of corned beef from 1872 that was opened sometime in the mid-90s to reveal that the contents were still edible. Don't think I'd have been first in line to try it, though. ;)

Tennis Fool
02-26-2006, 02:38 AM
A Twinkie is a "Golden Sponge Cake with Creamy Filling" created by Hostess, and baked by Continental Baking Co, which is owned by Kansas City-based Interstate Bakeries Corporation.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie

It's not a pastry as you know it. It's crappy piece of junk food not much better than M&Ms, you can get it out of a vending machine and it takes like crap.

Socket
02-26-2006, 03:02 AM
It's not a pastry as you know it. It's crappy piece of junk food not much better than M&Ms, you can get it out of a vending machine and it takes like crap.
Heretic!

Fee
02-26-2006, 03:42 AM
Scoket, do you drink Yoohoo?

Socket
02-26-2006, 04:07 AM
Scoket, do you drink Yoohoo?
I wouldn't clean my toilet with Yoohoo. What kind of redneck do you think I am? :rolleyes:

NYCtennisfan
02-26-2006, 04:13 AM
MMMMM....a twinkie and a tall glass of Kool-aid...that's a quality snack folks. :)

Socket
02-26-2006, 04:18 AM
MMMMM....a twinkie and a tall glass of Kool-aid...that's a quality snack folks. :)
Followed by a chaser of M&M's, but only the blue ones. ;)

Fee
02-26-2006, 04:32 AM
I wouldn't clean my toilet with Yoohoo. What kind of redneck do you think I am? :rolleyes:

I was just checking (and hoping that you would say no). Does anybody actually drink Yoohoo, or is every 7-11 and gas station foodmart required to keep one dusty bottle in the fridge at all times?

The only Twinkies worth eating are the chocolate covered ones.

Lee
02-26-2006, 04:38 AM
I was just checking (and hoping that you would say no). Does anybody actually drink Yoohoo, or is every 7-11 and gas station foodmart required to keep one dusty bottle in the fridge at all times?

The only Twinkies worth eating are the chocolate covered ones.

:o Yoohoo's cookie and cream is my son's favourite. It's not in bottle but in tetra pack. :p

wipeout
02-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Andy Murray is maybe not going to wave a Scottish flag which can be seen as getting at the English and reminding them that "we're not you" as Andy Murray has an English girlfriend.

Expect to see more British flags. ;)

The legal status of Irn-Bru in the United States is unclear. Several American companies import Irn-Bru, yet it is currently listed as a banned substance by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irn-Bru

The food colouring is supposedly carcinogenic. Guess that makes Americans nervous and puts off their aim when they're shooting something. :p

Actually, governments often ban stuff for being "carcinogenic" that has probabilities so small as to be ludicrous. Technically, I was painting a fence recently with illegal substance, creosote. I checked the research that was behind its ban and the probabilities involved were so small as to be beyond stupid. :rolleyes:

I heard there was a tin of corned beef from 1872 that was opened sometime in the mid-90s to reveal that the contents were still edible. Don't think I'd have been first in line to try it, though. ;)

Ah, deep-fry it then it'll be okay. :devil: