Is Davydenko flying under the radar again? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Davydenko flying under the radar again?

George_Hanson
02-24-2006, 11:59 AM
OK, so last season almost everyone was complaining about Kolya for not being the Top10 material and that his entry position is a fluke.

But I believe that he is as solid as a rock and he could as well be a perrenial Top10 candidate. But have a look at this: what did he achieved this season? Nothing? Poor Kolya, he even lost to Korolev. Well, he is 4th at the race in 2006, after Fed, Baggy and Ljubo.

I know it's not a good time of year to look at the race, but it seems that we will have the history repeated this season. WHat do you think ?

Nathaliia
02-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Shhh... he has just defeated Bracciali. Don't jinx.

Neely
02-24-2006, 12:39 PM
OK, so last season almost everyone was complaining about Kolya for not being the Top10 material and that his entry position is a fluke.
These people will always find something to complain ;) Davydenko didn't win the big titles, but delivered some steady performances going far into lots of tournaments to accumulate his points for that ranking he has currently. That's how the ranking system works, period.

As long as Davydenko has the Roland Garros semifinal to his ranking, his position up there in the top 10 is safe.

Jimnik
02-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Actually, even without the RG semi-final appearance, he'd still be in the top 10.

Nikolay was the most consistent player last year, making many quarter-final and semi-final appearances. I don't think it's possible to look at any individual results that put him in the top 10. He's just been a generally consistent player.

He'll definately move into the top 5 of the Entry Rankings this week and he could move into the top 4 if he wins Rotterdam.

stebs
02-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Nikolay was the most consistent player last year

Federer :wavey:

belco
02-24-2006, 03:27 PM
i think so...

i must agree

alfonsojose
02-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Fly under my pants, Kolya :drool:

Jimnik
02-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Who?
Never heard of him.
Who is this Federer you speak of? :confused:

alfonsojose
02-24-2006, 03:34 PM
:eek: is Jimnik Federer?

Jimnik
02-24-2006, 03:37 PM
:eek: is Jimnik Federer?
:haha:

My secret is out ;)

mangoes
02-24-2006, 03:42 PM
I think Davydenko is deserving of his ranking. He just isn't as flamboyant as some of the other top players. But, I really do think he will close out this year in the top 10 again.

vincayou
02-24-2006, 06:48 PM
His main asset is to be pretty good on every surface. That's why he flies under the radar, he doesn't need to put big win on a surface to be top 10. On the other hand, when clay come, bye bye Ljubo (just an example amongst many).

Marat Safinator
02-24-2006, 07:47 PM
why the f*** doesn't anybody call anybody by there proper name and " kolya " is the worst i've heard, after all his name is Nikolay and kolya is not kolay and even kolay would sound dumb. :retard:

lau
02-24-2006, 07:59 PM
why the f*** doesn't anybody call anybody by there proper name and " kolya " is the worst i've heard, after all his name is Nikolay and kolya is not kolay and even kolay would sound dumb. :retard:
I have a Russian friend, and she calls Kolya most of the Nikolays...

EDIT: I think it´s as usual as calling Nico someone called Nicolás (for Spanish speakers)

stebs
02-24-2006, 08:56 PM

Because it's a nickname. Why is your username Safinator not Safin?

Scotso
02-25-2006, 03:31 AM
Because it's a nickname. Why is your username Safinator not Safin?

:lol: :yeah: