Chilean nightmare: USTA finally picks grass for DC [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Chilean nightmare: USTA finally picks grass for DC

*Viva Chile*
02-23-2006, 06:49 PM
:sobbing:
At least we trust in our players when they represent our country... Vamos chicos!!

It's a recent info... when I'll have something official I will edit ;)

Fumus
02-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Wow...I wonder where they will play it then? hmmMMmm..

GonzoFan
02-23-2006, 07:03 PM
In Mission Hills, California

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tenni...8&bannerregion=

GonzoFan
02-23-2006, 07:05 PM
:sobbing:
At least we trust in our players when they represent our country... Vamos chicos!!

Yeah :yeah: that's right! we trust in the chilean team :yeah:

VAMOS CHILE !!!!!

*Viva Chile*
02-23-2006, 07:06 PM

thanks for the info ;)

NicoFan
02-23-2006, 07:14 PM
Yeah :yeah: that's right! we trust in the chilean team :yeah:

VAMOS CHILE !!!!!

Yes, indeed we do!!!! :yeah:

CHILENO GARRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But yes, it will be extremely difficult for Chile to win. And especially since there is no backup for either Fernando or Nico - they both have to be 100% healthy.

But to play devil's advocate here, neither do the Americans on grass. If Andy or the Bryans aren't 100%, then who will they play? James and Robby aren't any better on grass than Nico. If something happens to Andy (and Andy hasn't been overpowering people this year), Fernando is the next best grass player in singles. Taylor for the Americans? Yes, he's been good on grass in the past, but could he really beat the Chileans on his own?

But again - I think that the USA should take the tie and move on easily to the SFs as long as Andy and the Bryans stay healthy.

What I'm pissed about is that its in California again. Yes, I know that there were only so many bids, yada yada yada. But there also was Scottsdale that could have been used. And Mission Hills is way out in Palm Springs - expensive to fly into (twice as much as LA), and LAX is a two hour drive away.

So a big gracias to the USTA :rolleyes: for having it in California again for the second time in a row. And out in the middle of the desert far away from LAX. Good job as usual. :lol:

alelysafina
02-23-2006, 07:34 PM

The link came up with an error, is there another way I can see it?

NicoFan
02-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Try it again with this.

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=14808&bannerregion=

If it doesn't work, you can go to www.tennisweek.com - you see the article - right now its the second one down.

enqvistfan
02-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Good luck to Chile, I hope to see them in the semis against France :)

So, Nico Fan, you won't attend to the DC tie in California, I suppose ?

croat123
02-23-2006, 07:58 PM
it's really not that bad. they have to pick two points up against blake and have either gonzo beat roddick (totally possible looking at the duck's form) and the chileans have to win the doubles

NicoFan
02-23-2006, 08:00 PM
So, Nico Fan, you won't attend to the DC tie in California, I suppose ?

:sad:

Not in California - too expensive to fly where they are having it, and too far away from a major city in LA.

I really hate the USTA. ;)

NicoFan
02-23-2006, 08:01 PM
it's really not that bad. they have to pick two points up against blake and have either gonzo beat roddick (totally possible looking at the duck's form) and the chileans have to win the doubles

:lol:

That's all...nothing to it. ;)

Neely
02-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Good choice, like it :) USA should really use their advantage here, just like Chile would select to play on clay at home. When the USA would select hardcourt, Massu and Gonzalez are stronger than on grass. And Roddick is posting every year big results in on grass and even though he is not playing so well at the moment, I would say it's still a very good surface for him. I hope this tie works in favour for the USA :yeah:

Fee
02-23-2006, 08:03 PM
So a big gracias to the USTA :rolleyes: for having it in California again for the second time in a row. And out in the middle of the desert far away from LAX. Good job as usual. :lol:

3rd time in a row, to be precise about it. :woohoo: I might actually get down there for this one.

propi
02-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Chilean victory should be funnier this way :D
Nobody gave a penny for them in Olympics and we all know the result :)
Never under appreciate a Chilean when playing for his country :bounce:

gusman890
02-23-2006, 08:06 PM
w00t.

Go USA !!

Aguante_el_Gato
02-23-2006, 08:08 PM
... But to play devil's advocate here, neither do the Americans on grass. If Andy or the Bryans aren't 100%, then who will they play? James and Robby aren't any better on grass than Nico. If something happens to Andy (and Andy hasn't been overpowering people this year), Fernando is the next best grass player in singles. Taylor for the Americans? Yes, he's been good on grass in the past, but could he really beat the Chileans on his own? :yeah: 100% true
and in adittion to Roddick not having a good moment, Feña did it well last year in Wimbledon , showing that his service can be very dangerous.
And Blake? His present moment doesn't seem the best one. I believe that this can be very closed tie

NicoFan
02-23-2006, 08:09 PM
3rd time in a row, to be precise about it. :woohoo: I might actually get down there for this one.

California - Davis Cup site hogs... :lol:

Maybe I'll cancel my USTA membership - doesn't do me much good if there's no tournaments except the US Open near where I live. ;)

I'm actually very upset though - I want to see Nico so much - he rarely comes to the US, and then to have him come in such an important event and not be able to see it is very upsetting.

Deboogle!.
02-23-2006, 08:57 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Not the USTA's fault if the only places that bid are in the West :shrug: tell clubs on the east to get some grass courts and they would've had a good shot :)

gusman890
02-23-2006, 08:58 PM
yeahh i wanted Newport to bid, so i can drive the 1 hour drive from connecticut into rhode island.

i wanted my first ever davis cup event :sad:

Deboogle!.
02-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Newport in April? Don't think the weather would be too reliable.

Worst part about Mission Hills will be the heat. it's typically over 90 out there in March for IW and this is a month later.

Those of us planning to go are hoping for late afternoon play ;)

mangoes
02-23-2006, 09:28 PM
:banana: :banana: GO USA :banana: :banana:

mangoes
02-23-2006, 09:33 PM
:yeah: 100% true
and in adittion to Roddick not having a good moment, Feña did it well last year in Wimbledon , showing that his service can be very dangerous.
And Blake? His present moment doesn't seem the best one. I believe that this can be very closed tie

Sadly, I am having those same fears........... :o

Lee
02-23-2006, 09:36 PM
*sigh* I really hope it will come to Scottsdale.

mapquesting how long is the drive from Scottsdale to Mission Hill

Deboogle!.
02-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Lee I don't think it's TOO far, but .... 5-6+ hours maybe?

as for players' forms... a lot can change in the next almost-2 months lol

Fee
02-23-2006, 09:49 PM
We don't know who the second player will be at this point. What if Mardy gets healthy, get his strength and confidence back and goes on a tear at IW and Miami? It could get interesting.

GonzoFan
02-23-2006, 09:50 PM
I just heard in the news that Agassi is confirmed in the USA team

Is this true? :shrug:

acoffeygirl
02-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Seems awfully early to be confirming him to the team.

Lee
02-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Lee I don't think it's TOO far, but .... 5-6+ hours maybe?

as for players' forms... a lot can change in the next almost-2 months lol

Supposed to be less than 5 hours. :p

And anybody knows any cheaper accomodation near the country club?

:rolleyes: I went to the popular online hotel sites and :eek: :eek: :eek: at the price tag for a room in Rancho Mirage.

Lee
02-23-2006, 09:58 PM
I just heard in the news that Agassi is confirmed in the USA team

Is this true? :shrug:

With Agassi health, nobody knows until the week of the tie. :p

Deboogle!.
02-23-2006, 10:01 PM
:rolleyes: I went to the popular online hotel sites and :eek: :eek: :eek: at the price tag for a room in Rancho Mirage.Look a few miles away on the 10 freeway. We found a room for less than $100 :)

Agassi has expressed a desire to want to play DC at some point this year but he is FAR From a lock for April.

Lee
02-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Look a few miles away on the 10 freeway. We found a room for less than $100 :)

Palm Springs? La Quinta? Desert Springs?

:rolleyes: In California, it looks like every 10 blocks is a different town or city. :p

NicoFan
02-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Not the USTA's fault if the only places that bid are in the West :shrug: tell clubs on the east to get some grass courts and they would've had a good shot :)

:rolleyes:

Maybe the USTA could work with some of the clubs in the east and help them out a bit and encouraging them for bids. Isn't that part of the reason for their existence? To grow the sport? The southeast loves tennis - no reason for them to be kept out of the loop for these things year after year.

Davis Cup isn't played solely for Southern Californians enjoyment.

acoffeygirl
02-23-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm sorry for feeling selfish and excited that it is here. I highly doubt I'll ever make it to the USO or any grand slam for that matter....so these last few DC ties have been my chance! :)

Deboogle!.
02-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Palm Springs? La Quinta? Desert Springs?

:rolleyes: In California, it looks like every 10 blocks is a different town or city. :pYeah, basically :lol:

Thousand Palms, etc

The best thing I think is to go to a www.hotels.com type place, type in the address of the club and see what comes up as being around it, that's how I found the place we found. I mean, just need a clean bed to sleep in, so check the big chains out on the highway.

Lynn, it's about winning the Davis Cup. For that to happen, this tie needs to be put on grass. It's not the USTA's fault that no PRIVATE clubs in the Southeast have grass courts. They couldn't hold it at Forest Hills or Newport in April, that's just not feasible. Delray could have decided to put down a portable grasscourt and it was their choice not to do that. Again, not the USTA's fault. I don't think the USTA has any obligation to encourage private clubs (such as the La Jolla and Mission Hills clubs) to put in grass courts. Everyone keeps pontificating that Atlanta is such a great tennis city... where are the grass courts? Houston has them, but it's the weekend right before the USMCC so the Macks probably knew they couldn't do both like they did 4 years ago (But they had a week in between that year).

So the best bid combined with grass courts won. It's all about money and winning DC so that's what won out. I understand that you're upset b/c you want to see Massu but I don't see how this can really be blamed on the USTA as they can only consider the locations that bid.

Lee
02-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Isn't it ironic that you can only find grass tennis court in the DESERTS of USA?

NicoFan
02-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Isn't it ironic that you can only find grass tennis court in the DESERTS of USA?

It is ironic. And not funny ironic either.

Deb - I've been watching the incompetence of the USTA for many years and especially at the US Open for about 25 years - I can blame them for a lot.

And its not just because I want to see Nico - I've been complaining about them long before this. They don't do much to grow the sport and its a shame.

NYCtennisfan
02-23-2006, 10:24 PM
The place will be really nice in April. It's nice to feel that warm desert air in April. My little brother moved out to the Bay Area last year and so he might head on down south for this.

On another note, where in the East would they have played in April? They could play in Florida, South Carolina, or California really if they want to be outdoors.

Deboogle!.
02-23-2006, 10:47 PM
The place will be really nice in April. It's nice to feel that warm desert air in April. My little brother moved out to the Bay Area last year and so he might head on down south for this. warm? It'll be over 100 in the middle of the day! :lol: I hope they start at like 4 or 5pm. That'd be nice plus it'd get a little night atmosphere but if they're building a special stadium, they may not build it with lights (La Jolla didn't have lights)On another note, where in the East would they have played in April? They could play in Florida, South Carolina, or California really if they want to be outdoors.Winston-Salem NC put in what was purported to be a really strong bid, but it would've been indoors, which would not be as preferable as grass. Delray Beach (which hosted the QFs in 2004, mind you.) bid, but they could only offer regular HC because they decided they did not want to include grass on their bid. So that left Scottsdale and this Mission Hills. I''m not surprised that Mission Hills's bid was stronger than Scottsdale's.

So if the places on the east that bid were either unwilling or unable to provide grass, what was the USTA to do?

Lynn, I wasn't suggesting the USTA is not to blame for ANYTHING but I don't see what they did wrong in this case selecting the DC location. Anyone with a brain knew this had to be placed on grass. That left them with few options, what were they to do?

Moreover, it's not like multiple ties haven't ever been held in close proximity before.

Magical Trevor
02-23-2006, 10:59 PM
Hmm... why do people think the Chileans can nail Blake?

In his current form, I doubt he'll even play on the grass. Wouldn't you go with the big serve volley guy in Dent?

Deboogle!.
02-23-2006, 11:13 PM
Wouldn't you go with the big serve volley guy in Dent?In theory, yes. In practice, he's 1-4 on the year and just retired from a tourney with a back injury. So unless he has some crazy turn around for Indian Wells and Miami, I don't think he has a shot.

Fergie
02-23-2006, 11:25 PM
The chicos still can win, vamos!!! :bounce:

Jimnik
02-23-2006, 11:49 PM
I think we have some very optimistic Chilean fans here. Gonzo's chances of beating Andy on grass are probably even worse than Andy's chances against Gonzo on clay. And as for Massu, having spent the whole of February playing on clay, it's gong to be quite a change for him to have to play on such a fast surface.

I think Chile will do well to make it to the 3rd day.

Deboogle!.
02-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Andy's beaten Gonzo on clay ;)

Jimnik
02-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Andy's beaten Gonzo on clay ;)
There you go :) Proves my point.

It would be quite strange if Andy beat him on clay but lost to him on grass.

Deboogle!.
02-23-2006, 11:54 PM
Andy could lose to me the way he's playing lately. ;)

But, I still think the US has a good chance to get 3 points. But it's Davis cup and almost 2 months from now - anything can happen.

Pea
02-23-2006, 11:59 PM
Good luck CHile!

I'm so patriotic.

NicoFan
02-24-2006, 12:04 AM
I don't think that the Chilean fans are being overly optimistic.

In fact, if you read our posts, you'll see that most of us have said that it will be quite difficult for the Chileans to win.

I said it in my original post and I'll say it again - of course, if the US is at 100% strength, they will win. No one is arging that.

We did point out however that Nico and Fernando do seem to have a lot of inner fighting spirit when it comes to Davis Cup. I think their record proves that and they showed it at the Olympics. And so we have a lot of pride in what we feel they can do.

I also pointed out that if Andy and/or the Bryans aren't 100% that the USA doesn't have much options to go to.

Yes, Dent. But wasn't it Dent that wilted in the heat this summer? And its in the 90s in Palm Springs during April.

And none of the Americans are tearing up the courts right now.

But things change - its a long time between now and then. By then Andy may have his mojo back. ;)

NicoFan
02-24-2006, 12:06 AM
Good luck CHile!

I'm so patriotic.

Me too.

Born and raised in the US of A, and rooting like crazy for the Chileans to get the upset. :p

mangoes
02-24-2006, 12:08 AM
I have to say this one more time :lol:

:banana: :banana: GO USA :banana: :banana:

But seriously, even though this is on grass, I'm not feeling as confident about our chances. If one week before the event, Deb's signature still reads "Will the real Andy Roddick please step up" then I'll be really worried :lol: :lol:

mangoes
02-24-2006, 12:11 AM

Me too.

Born and raised in the US of A, and rooting like crazy for the Chileans to get the upset. :p

:mad: ........................... :lol: :p

Jimnik
02-24-2006, 12:11 AM
No worries. By Davis Cup week, Andy will have won 3 titles including a Masters Series shield ;) You watch

NicoFan
02-24-2006, 12:20 AM
:mad: ........................... :lol: :p

:wavey: mangoes!

:lol: Don't hate me. :haha:

And btw for the record - I would never wish that Andy doesn't get his mojo back. I've been worried about him, and really want him to win (well not against my Nico or Fernando.. :lol: ). He's one of my favorite players - James too. And I like Taylor - good kid.

Just wanted to clarify that in case someone thought when I said that he might not be at 100% that I was wishing bad things for him.

I would never do that. Not even for a player that I didn't like, let alone Andy.

Deboogle!.
02-24-2006, 12:23 AM
If one week before the event, Deb's signature still reads "Will the real Andy Roddick please step up" then I'll be really worried :lol: :lol::haha: :rolls: I will be too. :awww:

Tix go on sale in a couple weeks according to the USTA :)

Raquel
02-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Can a country pick absolutely any surface at any time? Or does it have to be a surface that a tournament is played on in that country? For example, Spain couldn't pick grass (not that they would want to) but they couldn't anyway because it would be against the rules? I'm sure I remember a rule similar to that, and it could be a explanation as to why USTA hangs onto the Newport event, despite it's Challenger level field as it gives them the choice to keep using grass as a home tie surface?

I'll always remember watching Corretja beating Sampras on grass in Davis Cup. Anything is possible....

NicoFan
02-24-2006, 12:32 AM
Can a country pick absolutely any surface at any time? Or does it have to be a surface that a tournament is played on in that country? For example, Spain couldn't pick grass (not that they would want to) but they couldn't anyway because it would be against the rules? I'm sure I remember a rule similar to that, and it could be a explanation as to why USTA hangs onto the Newport event, despite it's Challenger level field as it gives them the choice to keep using grass as a home tie surface?

I'll always remember watching Corretja beating Sampras on grass in Davis Cup. Anything is possible....

They can pick any surface at any time.

And does anyone remember? Didn't India pick some really gross surface once? I'm having a brain blip so if they didn't, apologies.

So I don't think that it even has to be clay, grass, or hardcourt.

Anything is possible. And as the Adidas slogan said after the boys won in the Olympics....impossible is nothing. :lol:

Win or lose....very proud of my Nico and Fernando - the fact that they've made it to the quarterfinals in Davis Cup is just awesome!

I hope its an exciting matchup. I'm totally psyched for it.

Jimnik
02-24-2006, 12:32 AM

I don't think so. Great Britain, for instance, has only grass tournaments yet we play most of our cup ties on indoor hard courts. And I'm sure, if we wanted to, we could play on clay.

*Viva Chile*
02-24-2006, 12:33 AM
By then Andy may have his mojo back. ;)
:haha:
at least he didn't find it yet :p

Deboogle!.
02-24-2006, 12:40 AM
It can't be ANY Surface. It has to be a surface used in competition
==========================
a) Surface
The surface of the courts to be used in the Competition shall be grass turf; a natural or artificial fine gritty material; cement; or a bituminous composition or a synthetic surface; but in no case shall a Tie be played on a surface of stone or any other surface except by mutual agreement between the two Nations competing. If the Host Nation under normal conditions as determined by the Referee is unable to provide a playable match court at the scheduled starting time, the Home Nation shall forfeit the Tie and the Visiting Nation shall be determined the winner of the Tie. The Referee may extend the starting time if, in his opinion, the match court could satisfactorily be made playable within a reasonable time which shall not exceed three hours. For all Ties in the World Group and Group I the court surface must be of a type used in a Grand Slam Tournament or in a minimum of three tournaments in the Men’s Professional Tour held in the year previous to the Tie.

Note: For the purpose of this regulation ’NORMAL CONDITIONS’ refers to a situation when, for example, the weather and climate conditions are good and satisfactory for play but the match court, due to negligence by the Home Nation and/or court manufacturer, still fails to be playable in the opinion of the Referee. Rain or other unavoidable hindrance beyond the control of anyone would not constitute a reason for the Referee to call off a Tie and award the victory to the Visiting Nation.

mangoes
02-24-2006, 12:46 AM
:wavey: mangoes!

:lol: Don't hate me. :haha:

And btw for the record - I would never wish that Andy doesn't get his mojo back. I've been worried about him, and really want him to win (well not against my Nico or Fernando.. :lol: ). He's one of my favorite players - James too. And I like Taylor - good kid.

Just wanted to clarify that in case someone thought when I said that he might not be at 100% that I was wishing bad things for him.

I would never do that. Not even for a player that I didn't like, let alone Andy.

:hug: No one thinks that Nicofan, we know you are just :inlove: with that hot Chilean :lol: ................ And of the whole US team, Andy is the only player I really like a lot........ I think Taylor Dent is nice too. And no need for words with Andre Agassi :hearts: :hearts:................ :lol: :lol:

FaceyFacem
02-24-2006, 12:46 AM
i just don't know why people lay all these new courts for the davis cup ties, it really confuses me...there are year round grass courts in newport and at houston, and i'm sure other places too...

the reason it bothers me is because then the commentators discuss how poorly the courts are made, or that the surface hasn't set properly, or the players complain, it's just a pain in the ass...

i mean, moving the ties around the nation is a nice thought in general, but CA again is so unnecessary...although i guess the bryans like it...

mangoes
02-24-2006, 12:47 AM
:haha: :rolls: I will be too. :awww:

Tix go on sale in a couple weeks according to the USTA :)

:lol: :lol: I'm assuming you are going? I hope a lot of people come out to support USA. I think we're going to need all the cheers.......... Hopefully, we will get a DC tie on the East Coast soon :lol:

Conita
02-24-2006, 01:03 AM
VAMOS CHILE !!!!!

I dont care if they play underwater haha, Chile will give a fight and good one!!!
against all odds they will prove loads of people wrong :) especially now that Capdeville is also doing well yessssss now Gonzalez + Massu have some sort of backup which is always nice :)
never underestimate Chileans playing for their country!!!!

AGUANTE EL TENNIS CHILENO!!
VAMOS QUE SE PUEDE!! :bounce: :bigclap: :clap2: :dance: :yippee: :yippee: :woohoo:

belco
02-24-2006, 01:04 AM
hehehe

Deboogle!.
02-24-2006, 01:10 AM
:lol: :lol: I'm assuming you are going? I hope a lot of people come out to support USA. I think we're going to need all the cheers.......... Hopefully, we will get a DC tie on the East Coast soon :lol:We're gonna try. A bunch of us were down in La Jolla, and they're about equidistant from LA Proper, so yeah I think so :)

If France wins its QF and we do too, the Semi would be in the US And I'm sure that will be on the east coast. Apparently Winston-salem put in a very good bid for indoors, so they might do that in September.

Dupuis2006
02-24-2006, 01:15 AM
Vamos Chile!!!

NicoFan
02-24-2006, 01:31 AM
It can't be ANY Surface. It has to be a surface used in competition
==========================
a) Surface
The surface of the courts to be used in the Competition shall be grass turf; a natural or artificial fine gritty material; cement; or a bituminous composition or a synthetic surface; but in no case shall a Tie be played on a surface of stone or any other surface except by mutual agreement between the two Nations competing. If the Host Nation under normal conditions as determined by the Referee is unable to provide a playable match court at the scheduled starting time, the Home Nation shall forfeit the Tie and the Visiting Nation shall be determined the winner of the Tie. The Referee may extend the starting time if, in his opinion, the match court could satisfactorily be made playable within a reasonable time which shall not exceed three hours. For all Ties in the World Group and Group I the court surface must be of a type used in a Grand Slam Tournament or in a minimum of three tournaments in the Men’s Professional Tour held in the year previous to the Tie.

Note: For the purpose of this regulation ’NORMAL CONDITIONS’ refers to a situation when, for example, the weather and climate conditions are good and satisfactory for play but the match court, due to negligence by the Home Nation and/or court manufacturer, still fails to be playable in the opinion of the Referee. Rain or other unavoidable hindrance beyond the control of anyone would not constitute a reason for the Referee to call off a Tie and award the victory to the Visiting Nation.

Thanks for that Deb!

I wish I could find that story about the surface in I think it was India. That's what made me think it could be any surface.

I probably just dreamed it. Or getting old. One or the other. :lol:

Experimentee
02-24-2006, 01:43 AM
It will be tough, but I think Chile has a chance. Gonzalez is pretty good on grass, made the QF of Wimbledon last year and was playing very well. He could win both his matches if he played to that form.
Massu seems to lift when he plays for his country, so even though he isnt good on grass it might be enough to sneak out the doubles rubber.

Deboogle!.
02-24-2006, 01:44 AM
If I recall, that was grass but it just was in really horrible condition or something like that. But I don't really remember either :o

But to answer the original question it doesn't have to be in the home country, it's just any surface used pursuant to those rules. So the US could have had a grass tie even without Newport. Best paradigm would be Australia having ties on grass all the time even though they don't have a grass tourney there.

Deboogle!.
02-24-2006, 02:44 AM
Great post. :yeah: it's not our fault that we Californians have the most suitable weather and the appropriate accomodations. :angel:;)My mom lives about two hours from where Mission Hills is, so maybe I'll use that as an excuse to visit her. :angel: Though, my favorite players are all European! :lol:Well it's a pretty expensive weekend just to go for kicks, but having been to both regular tourneys and DC, it's incomparable, the atmosphere is just great and the players are so pumped and stuff that it's special to be a part of. I'm lucky that my fave singles player and doubles team are always on the US Team and that I like most of the players who'd be selected for the 2nd spot, so it's like a double bonus for me. If I didn't like the players as individuals I probably wouldn't undertake that kind of expense, but it's definitely a fun time :)

gusman890
02-24-2006, 03:06 AM
Gonzo made the QF...ONCE

USA is going to beat them down, just watch.

Deboogle!.
02-24-2006, 03:16 AM
:) My favorite out of the Americans is Roddick, but I probably wouldn't drive down from the Bay to L.A. just for him - as you said, it's a bit much to do just for kicks. However, I'm down in the L.A. area pretty often for my mom, so if I was already in the area I wouldn't rule it out. :angel: In any case, have a great time! Sounds like it'll be a blast. :Dah cool :) I hope I can go, I have to investigate with my damn schedule and whatnot before I completely can commit :lol: But I'd LOVE the opportunity to see grass tennis, since I doubt I'll make it to Wimby anytime :( I've seen all kinds of hardcourt tennis and red clay, so it'd be nice to add grass to my personal repertoire :D:p

*Viva Chile*
02-24-2006, 05:37 AM
Gonzo made the QF...ONCE

USA is going to beat them down, just watch.
don't judge before time, our chicos have "heart" and passion for their country, and that is more important than the surface where the tie will play.

Also, I've got a feeling that Nico can shot the surprise this time ;)

Deboogle!.
02-24-2006, 05:43 AM
don't judge before time, our chicos have "heart" and passion for their country, and that is more important than the surface where the tie will play.Of course they do :) but of course, so do our guys :) That' what DC is all about!

Action Jackson
02-24-2006, 06:05 AM
Of course they do :) but of course, so do our guys :) That' what DC is all about!

But do they play above their own normal playing levels when playing DC? None of the American players do that.

I mean the Roddick can not be faulted for his committment to the DC cause, but my point is Massu wouldn't win a title on a fast hardcourt on tour, when he played for Chile in the Games, he grew to an outstanding level that he normally doesn't play at. Guys like Ljubo, Nalbandian, Hewitt (of old) beating Guga and Costa on clay in hostile environments is enough to suggest that and Hrbaty are examples of players lifting their games to higher levels and so far none of the Americans have showed that.

Deboogle!.
02-24-2006, 06:11 AM
But do they play above their own normal playing levels when playing DC? None of the American players do that.

I mean the Roddick can not be faulted for his committment to the DC cause, but my point is Massu wouldn't win a title on a fast hardcourt on tour, when he played for Chile in the Games, he grew to an outstanding level that he normally doesn't play at. Guys like Ljubo, Nalbandian, Hewitt (of old) beating Guga and Costa on clay in hostile environments is enough to suggest that and Hrbaty are examples of players lifting their games to higher levels and so far none of the Americans have showed that.I think so. Andy plays far better on clay during DC than during normal tournament play. Perhaps he didn't win all the matches but he fought much harder and came much closer to beating Moya and Nadal than he would have had he played them under any other circumstance. It's no secret Andy has had a lot of confidence problems and hasn't always fought hard in the past couple of years but he always pulls out all the stops in DC play and plays his heart out, just like the Chileans. And the Bryans have certainly played some incredible matches when playing for Davis Cup... hard to say if better than their normal, because they are the #1 team in the world right now, but they have played some very very good matches in DC. You had a guy like Mardy Fish who had barely ever won a match on clay, the US is in a relegation in Bratislava, down 0-1 after the #1 guy on the team had a shock defeat, and he goes out and comes from behind to win - I'd say that's playing above his normal level under the circumstances of DC Play. Surely Fish is as bad, if not worse, on clay, than Massu is on grass.

Anyway, I didn't say they were better than the Chileans when playing for their country nor was I comparing them, merely that it's very important to the Americans too and that IMO they do raise their level as well. I wasn't saying anything earth-shattering, just my opinion.

Sparko1030
02-24-2006, 06:25 AM
VAMOS CHILE !!!!!

I dont care if they play underwater haha, Chile will give a fight and good one!!!
against all odds they will prove loads of people wrong :) especially now that Capdeville is also doing well yessssss now Gonzalez + Massu have some sort of backup which is always nice :)

VAMOS QUE SE PUEDE!! :bounce: :bigclap: :clap2: :dance: :yippee: :yippee: :woohoo:

:rocker: I couldn't agree with you more Conita!!! :worship: ( and I now have a hilarious picture of them playing tennis underwater!) Count me as one the US citizens supporting the Chileans! I like several of the US players but I LOVE Nico and Fena and what is more "American" than supporting the underdog so.....VAMOS CHILE!!!!

Action Jackson
02-24-2006, 06:32 AM
You had a guy like Mardy Fish who had barely ever won a match on clay, the US is in a relegation in Bratislava, down 0-1 after the #1 guy on the team had a shock defeat, and he goes out and comes from behind to win - I'd say that's playing above his normal level under the circumstances of DC Play. Surely Fish is as bad, if not worse, on clay, than Massu is on grass.

Yes, Fish beat a has been Kucera on clay, it takes more than one performance to be convinced of that and the other players that I have mentioned earlier have done that consistently.

As for Andy, he wouldn't win enough matches to meet the elite players on clay, he can't be faulted for being committed to the team, but does he play at a higher level? Not fighting when playing for your country is very poor form indeed and in those matches against Spain he was outclassed, not cause he wasn't trying.

Anyway, I didn't say they were better than the Chileans when playing for their country nor was I comparing them, merely that it's very important to the Americans too and that IMO they do raise their level as well. I wasn't saying anything earth-shattering, just my opinion.

The Bryans should pretty much win most of their matches in DC regardless and they enjoy playing it. DC is huge in Chile, which it isn't in the US sadly.
Gonzo and Massu do play above themselves and as for the American players the Bryans exempted you see it one way and I see it another.

sebastiagol
02-24-2006, 06:57 AM
There you go :) Proves my point.

It would be quite strange if Andy beat him on clay but lost to him on grass.

In think that by these days the grass is slower than the fast courts..
But..
Considering that massu and gonzalez grew playing in clay..
and that the usa team grew playing in hard courts

Massu has beaten Roddick on clay and INDOOR...

Gonzalez has beaten Roddick two times in hard.. and roddick only one in clay..

massu/gonzalez beating the bryans in hard..

So.. can you repeat again wich is your point??

GonzoFan
02-24-2006, 07:38 AM
Gonzalez has beaten Roddick two times in hard.. and roddick only one in clay..

massu/gonzalez beating the bryans in hard..

And also remember that Gonzo beat the Bryans INDOOR too (w/Calleri) :D

Chileno
02-24-2006, 12:52 PM
It willl be a tough game for Chile, probably the hardest DC game they'll have this year. I can't make any predictions yet because there are still a few tournaments ahead, but I believe Gonzo and Nico will be in top form.

Agassi Aces
02-24-2006, 02:08 PM
I hope Andre will play, good early start to grass court preparations for Wimbledon!

gusman890
02-24-2006, 02:13 PM
^^nahh, andre probally is only going to play the summer hard court series and the US open thats about it.

As for America, Well, both sides arnt doing that well this week anyway, so when April runs around, we'll have to see now wont we :)

Jogy
02-24-2006, 02:28 PM
plan for USA team to win
. both USA player must slap the weak Massu on gras
. Bryan/Bryan

--> 3 points, easy!

revolution
02-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Chile have a slight chance.

*Viva Chile*
02-24-2006, 03:10 PM
plan for USA team to win
. both USA player must slap the weak Massu on gras
. Bryan/Bryan

--> 3 points, easy!
With Nico playing DC, I don't think that will be so easy as you said ;)

Deboogle!.
02-24-2006, 03:37 PM
For those who cared about the thought process behind the location choice or whatever, here's PMac's conference call from yesterday where he made the announcemeht
=================
February 23, 2006

DAVIS CUP CAPTAIN
PATRICK McENROE

CHRIS WIDMAIER: Good afternoon, everyone, and thank you for joining us for this conference call featuring U.S. Davis Cup Captain, Patrick McEnroe, to announce the site for the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas quarterfinal match with the U.S. facing Chile.

One of the best-kept secrets in sports, the tie will be played at the Mission Hills Country Club in Rancho Mirage, California on grass, April 7th through 9th. This will be the first time the U.S. has played a Davis Cup home tie on grass since Houston 2002 when we beat Spain.

My understanding is that Captain McEnroe has until March 28th to name the American squad. So without further ado, I'm going to turn it over to Captain McEnroe. Patrick?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Chris, thank you. Thanks, everyone, for being on the call.

We're certainly looking forward to heading back to southern California. Obviously, playing on grass was the primary concern of myself and the majority of the team. We had some other very good options out there, but we felt that in this particular match against Chile, obviously they've got a couple of great players, but we felt that the grass gives us the best possible chance to win the match.

So my decision was based on, obviously, talking to our players and sort of taking a roll call of what they wanted and doing what I thought was in the best interest of the entire team.

So I will open it up to any questions from anybody. Thanks.

Q. This will be only the fourth time in Davis Cup that matches are at home on grass. Are you happy with having it on grass?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: We're happy, that's why we picked it. It's my decision, generally, where we're going to play the match, or at least on what surface. I think it's worthwhile pointing out that the USTA has been great as far as answering to the wishes of myself, which the wishes of myself basically come from the team. They've been very good over the years in understanding that it's not always about the bottom line. There were probably some other places we could have gone where we could have sold more tickets and, quite frankly, probably could have made more money, but the USTA listened to me and to the players specifically. I'm a conduit between the players and the USTA and want to do what's in the best interest of the team and what we think gives us the best chance to win the match.

We certainly thought we do have an advantage on other surfaces, but I think on a grass court, gives us the best possible advantage. By no means does that guarantee a win, but I think it gives us the best chance to beat Chile.

CHRIS WIDMAIER: Just for clarification, that was the fourth time since 1959.

Q. I'm just wondering, too, a follow-up, how does the grass help your cause? You have a lot of players with hard court success.

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Well, I mean, obviously, Andy Roddick has a great record on grass. The last couple years he's been in the Wimbledon final, he's won the Queen's Club event, I believe, three years in a row, which is a big warm-up tournament for Wimbledon. He's extremely confident on that surface. He's our No. 1 player, so I certainly listen to him.

I certainly listen to the Bryan brothers, who made the Wimbledon final last year, have also won a couple of titles on grass, our doubles, which is extremely important in how well we do.

The rest of the guys, I think you're probably right in that probably a Robby Ginepri, a James Blake, an Andre Agassi would probably prefer hard court, but they're also very competent grass court players. I think, quite frankly, it makes things a little trickier for the Chilean team. I think they, obviously, are great players on a clay court. Even hard court surfaces, they've both had excellent results. We know Gonzalez played quite well at Wimbledon last year, so he can play on grass. But, as I said, we think that it's not always about just what's best for our team, sometimes it's also about what makes it most difficult for the opposing team.

Q. I know you came out and saw the grass back in 2002 when you were making a decision on where to play. Did you get a chance to see it again this year, and can you give us your evaluation of the grass at Mission Hills?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: I did not get a chance to see it this year with, you know, the turnaround so quick between this last match we played out in La Jolla and making a decision on this one. But having been there in 2002 and hit on the grass, I thought it was in excellent condition. I mean, it was extremely good. I'm sure that we and they will do everything we can to make the grass as good as possible.

I've hit on a lot of grass on the east coast over the years, and I felt like the grass out there in Mission Hills was excellent. Will it be as good as Wimbledon? I mean, that's hard to do, but I think it will be very playable, and I think it will work out well. It's a beautiful setting. It's a great site.

I know we've got a big event coming up that I'll be at in a couple weeks in the desert, and tennis has always been very well supported out there. We're certainly hoping that the Davis Cup will bring a lot more people back into the area and get a home-court advantage like the one we had in La Jolla.

Q. As a follow-up, your brother played there the one other Davis Cup at Mission Hills. Do you remember anything from that match?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Who was that against?

Q. It was against Great Britain.

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Yeah, I think I was there for that. I think, you know, I kind of remember it. I think he played John Lloyd and Buster Mottram.

So, as I said, it's a beautiful place to go. There's a lot of tradition out there in that part of the country and that club particularly. There used to be quite a few USTA camps that were held out there. I even participated, I think, in a couple on my way to Australia a couple of times.

The guys are excited about it. The conditions, we hope, will favor us. Hopefully, it will make for a great event. I mean, obviously in Davis Cup the primary goal is to win and, as I said before, the USTA has been supportive in that goal. But it's also a big goal of ours to put on a great event, put on a great show for the fans, and I think we'll be able to do that out there.

Q. You said that in Rancho Mirage tennis has always been very well supported out there, but you also said earlier you could have gone and sold more tickets and, quite frankly, probably could have made more money someplace else. What's the limiting factor in Rancho Mirage?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: I think it's just the amount of seats we could get in. I think we could have gone to a few places where we could have probably had 10,000 people. That's really all I was referring to.

Out there, when you're building a stadium from scratch, a temporary stadium as we did in La Jolla, generally you're between five and six thousand. We like to make sure the place is filled. Look, if we can sell a few more seats and it looks like the ticket demand is high, we might be able to push that up to, you know, six and a half, seven thousand. But when you're building an outdoor stadium as opposed to going to an indoor facility where, you know, you've obviously got the facility built, you've got to take that into account when you put it up.

That's really all I was referring to as far as that goes.

Q. Follow-up question. Over time, I'm sure you probably read about it, southern California was a huge tennis mecca. It's not as popular as it was in its heyday. What do you guys do to keep Davis Cup and tennis in general relevant to as many people as possible?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Well, we try to move it around. Obviously, southern California has been lucky the last couple years in that we've gone there a number of times now. We obviously like to move to different parts of the country. We've been to Oklahoma City, we've been to Delray Beach, we've been to Winston-Salem since I've been captain. We've been to Houston. So that's one thing. There are some things we can't control, which is what you're referring to, which is the relevance of Davis Cup in the overall sports landscape.

Really, our job is to go out and perform well. Obviously, winning helps. We've got young guys that are passionate about playing for their country that place a high priority on Davis Cup. The USTA has really upped the ante in the last couple years in putting on a great event around the Davis Cup with music, with a lot of festivities that go around.

So to be honest, I feel like we do what we can. We're limited in some way by the format of Davis Cup which, you know, now is not the appropriate time to go into that, but that's something that's out of our control. I feel like what we have within our control, which is getting players that are enthusiastic, that are great players, that have a desire to play for their country and put on a great event in venues that, you know, will welcome the Davis Cup, I think we do a pretty darn good job at that.

Q. What's the biggest selling point you think tennis has for the sporting public, and what would you change if you could change one thing?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Well, I think, I mean, obviously the Grand Slams overall are the markers in the game. I certainly would like to see Davis Cup have more prominence in the schedule. I think that's the one thing in particular that's undervalued overall in tennis.

But in saying that, it's a lot easier said than done to come up with exactly the proposal, the structure that would make it better. It's still a great event. People who come realize that. It's when you play for your country, for your teammates, for your captain, for your friends. So it's a different environment. It's a unique environment.

I think people that were in La Jolla a few weeks ago realized that, and that's why there's a buzz about Davis Cup. And, look, if we do well, if we get to the semis, finals, and have a chance to win it, maybe nationally people will take notice a bit more. But that's something that is a little bit out of our control.

Q. Patrick, do your guys get so fired up for the Davis Cup that they have a let-down afterwards? I ask this question because I notice that Roddick and James haven't exactly been burning up the circuit since they left La Jolla.

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Yeah, well, that's true. Particularly James has lost two straight first rounds. Andy at least made the semifinals in San Jose and has won his first two matches in Memphis, so he's still very much alive there.

I think there's always a bit of a let-down after the week of Davis Cup. There's not so much the physical aspect of it, but certainly for James, I mean, he had a couple of, relatively speaking, routine matches physically, but I think mentally it's very hard to come down off of that high, you know. You come out and you play in a regular tour event and the atmosphere is completely different.

You know, the Davis Cup week, I mean, I can guarantee you, Jerry, that as soon as the guys knew they were playing in that first-round match, they're thinking about it from the moment they get off the plane in Australia when they come home. I mean, that's the way you sort of gear up for a Davis Cup match. The few times I was lucky enough to play, and I obviously only played doubles, even doing that, it's a bit of a mental let-down.

I still expect that James is going to have a very good spring. I love the way he played in Davis Cup. I've been as surprised as anyone to see him lose two first rounds in a row. At the same time, you know, Andy lost in the semis and he's still winning some matches this week. Even when Andy is struggling a little bit, he still manages to win matches. I think it's just a matter of time for him to win a couple of tough matches and get his confidence back again and win one of these tournaments. The big tournaments are coming up in a few weeks in Indian Wells and Miami. Those will obviously be big markers for all of these guys.

Q. Patrick, could you talk about Winston-Salem's bid and your thoughts on maybe coming back to Winston in the future some time?

PATRICK McENROE: I can say that Winston-Salem had an outstanding bid. Part of me feels bad for them because they did put in a great bid, you know, was obviously seriously in the running for this match. Certainly, the grass was a key aspect in what we wanted to do.

But I certainly can tell you that come the time when we're looking to play in an indoor situation, that Winston-Salem is going to be the top of the list. I actually spoke to the boys on the team about it. They were all very excited about going back there, because we remember how well we did back there in 2001 when Roddick and Blake were real young-uns, just coming in, just really starting their Davis Cup careers. They're still young, but they're more veterans in the Davis Cup department.

So we're looking forward to the right matchup and the right situation to come back to Winston-Salem, and we hope that you guys there keep your interest in the Davis Cup because we certainly still have a lot of interest in coming to Winston-Salem again.

Q. Other than Winston-Salem, what other venues did you consider?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: I know Delray Beach was in the mix. There was a smaller facility in Arizona that had a grass court there. I'm not going to say the name because I'm not sure it's correct. It was in the running, but it was kind of -- it was a little small. I think it was just not quite the size we needed to put on an event like this.

Delray Beach, we had a great match there a couple years ago against Sweden. Winston-Salem, as I said, put in a very strong bid as well. I think those are sort of the main four. If I'm leaving something out, someone at the USTA could correct me, but those are the main four that come to my mind as far as serious bids.

CHRIS WIDMAIER: That's correct, Patrick.

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Thank you, Chris.

Q. What eventually tipped the scale as far as Rancho? Do you have sort of a team in place in your head as of now?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Well, obviously, what tipped it was the grass court in Mission Hills. The facility is up to par. We think we can have a great event there on excellent courts and hopefully advance to the semifinals.

I mean, certainly Roddick and the Bryans, unless anything major happens in the next month, are essentially locks for the team. James certainly made a major statement in La Jolla. I wouldn't say that that's a lock, but between James and I've spoken to Andre Agassi a couple of times and under the right circumstances I think he would be interested in coming back. Robby Ginepri certainly has got a chance. Taylor Dent, certainly on grass you have to look at him with his serve-volley game although he did just pull out of a match with a back injury over in Europe. I have to find out exactly how his health is.

Certainly, it's the same sort of group of guys that will be in the mix for that second spot. And, knock on wood, we've been extremely lucky in that the guys have supported the team and wanted to play when called upon. I hope that that's the case again.

But, you know, the guys are so close for that second spot that, you know, the next month's tournaments - there are some big ones coming up - will certainly be a factor but not the only factor because they will be playing on grass so that puts another twist into it.

Q. It seems that Blake is the odd man out here. He really stepped up with two wins in La Jolla. I remember you saying in your post match after you had clinched the tie that Blake had shown you so much and that he was really the frontrunner. But you mention Agassi now. Is it going to be the most recent results for those guys, and Andre's health leading up to Mission Hills? What are the factors in determining that second guy?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Well, I have to say it's all of the above. As I said at the beginning of the call, I have to make the decision that I feel is in the best interest of the entire team and what gives us the best chance to win the overall match.

I mean, James knows that he's a serious part of the team both now and in the future, whether or not he plays this particular match. Certainly, he's got a great chance of playing it. I would be remiss to not listen to Andre Agassi and talk to him and see where he is, and obviously he needs to see where he is physically in the next few weeks. Robby Ginepri has played very well on grass in his day; I think he won Newport one year. He played well at Wimbledon a couple years ago. James' best results are certainly on hard court. But you could make the same case for, as I said, a couple of the other guys. Taylor Dent, I think we have to consider him as well with his grass court game.

So it's going to come down to certainly if one guy gets extremely hot and I feel has a lot of confidence coming into the match, you like to go with the hot hand. But at the same time, we are playing on grass, so you have to take that into account as well. So, you know, that's the long answer to the short answer which is all of the above, as I said at the beginning of my comment.

Q. Still talking grass here, I think you and a lot of people feel that Fernando Gonzalez, Nicholas Massu's games are sort of neutralized on grass. Can you explain how their games are neutralized.

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Well, I mean, look, obviously Gonzalez had a very good run at Wimbledon last year. I think the courts at Wimbledon are playing, you know, a lot more like hard courts than they ever have. I think the grass that we'll play on will be probably a little bit softer, a little tougher to play baseline tennis on. Both Gonzalez and Massu take big swings at the ball. We'd like the ball to stay low and to make it more difficult for them to play that sort of aggressive, baseline game. Gonzalez makes huge cuts at the ball, but he needs a little time. Quite honestly, both guys like the ball up high. Gonzalez has played very well on indoor courts where the ball does get up. Like in Basel, he won that last use. He beat Roddick at the Olympics a couple years ago. I saw that match, and that was a fast court, but it was a high-bouncing court.

We're hoping that not so much the speed of the court but the bounce of the court, that the ball stays low and shorter backswings and, you know, just ability to sort of block the ball will pay off for us. At the same time, best laid plans.

But, as I said, I feel like this gives us the best advantage against this particular team with the guys that we have and the guys that they have. And also in the doubles match, those guys, I don't know if you've ever seen them play doubles, but they like to serve and stay back, Gonzalez and Massu. They can serve and then they both try to rip forehands, which they both can do well. But on grass, I feel like that's going to be a little trickier for them to do that consistently.

Q. I was just thinking about that doubles match. It's a tantalizing matchup, the possible matchup between the Bryans and Massu and Gonzalez especially after what happened at the Olympics.

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Yeah, I was there for that match and that was a tight match, but that was one of those matches where those guys were swinging away and able to take really big swings at the ball and pound forehands and pound serves. They know their way around the net, they're not terrible volleyers, but they don't rely on that to win matches. So we hope that this doubles match is more of a volleying match. I think on a grass court that's more likely to happen. We feel good about our chances if that's the way it plays out.

Q. Of course, Roddick has the big serve, but his volleys have often been suspect. Would you look for the Chileans to try to pick on that?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Well, I mean, it's easier said than done. He volleys, his volleys aren't spectacular, but on grass they're competent. You look at his record on grass the last couple years, and it's pretty sparkling. Sure, they'll try to take advantage of it, and we'll try to take advantage of what little things are lacking in their game as well.

But I think Andy will be extremely confident. Hopefully, he'll have a good run here in the next month and get some wins under his belt. But certainly going into a grass court match, there's only one guy in the world against that he wouldn't be the favorite, and we all know who that is.

Q. That's right. Last question, again, about Roddick. You had said after Roddick's first match in La Jolla that in retrospect you wished you were able to sort of calm him down a little bit, and maybe that contributed to his sickness. Do you plan to continue to, you know, nurture him that way, sort of have him play within himself and at the same time stay aggressive?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Yeah, definitely. I think we both learned something from that match in that he doesn't need to play with sort of that much emotion every point, you know, from the first point of the match. Obviously, you pace yourself. If you hit a great shot to get a break at 5-All in the first, you get pumped up. That's natural for him.

So without taking away his natural enthusiasm and passion for playing Davis Cup and for playing in competitive matches, you know, hopefully I can do a little better job of just, you know, managing the way he paces himself. I think that will help him overall. That's certainly something that I feel like I've learned from this last match and will try to use that to help him down the road.

Q. I just want to ask a follow-up. You guys are going to be out here for the Pacific Life Open. Do you have plans to take some time out and come to Mission Hills and give it a trial run?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Well, I will definitely come out there to check it out. Obviously, the boys will be busy and they've got, at that moment, other priorities with the tournament going on and then however well they do moving on and getting ready for Miami.

I will certainly make an appearance there and hit on the court and check it out. My guess is that, you know, they probably wouldn't just because they're not really going to be thinking about it too much at that point. That's my job, and that's my job to go over and check the court out and if there's any, you know, slight adjustments we need to make, we'll try to make them. But, again, with grass, there's not a whole lot we can do. I'm sure that out in Mission Hills the crew will do a great job to keep the court in as good a condition as we can have it. I just have to make sure I get the right hotel rooms for the boys, that's all.

Q. What about practice? Have you guys decided on what you're going to do in terms of practice?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Well, we'll probably show up there -- we generally show up there the weekend before the match. Whether that's Saturday or Sunday night, we usually get in and then have a full practice week.

So some of that will depend on how well the guys do in Miami, which is the week right before. And, you know, at that point, the guys are in pretty good match shape. They've played quite a bit of tournaments. So I'm not as concerned with sort of their fitness. I'm just really more concerned with them getting used to the court and getting as much hitting on the court as they can. We'll probably get there the Saturday, Sunday before the actual match.

Q. Could you please, from a player's perspective, describe for me the atmosphere at different tennis venues around the world, not just Davis Cup sites. Describe for me how the Coachella Valley venues, Mission Hills and Indian Wells, the Tennis Garden, how those fit in on the big scale.

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Well, they're right up there. I mean, the Tennis Garden is one of the premier tennis facilities in the world, certainly. Is it the second biggest in the U.S., it's certainly up there. It's certainly one of the biggest. It's a great setting for tennis.

The Coachella Valley, obviously, I mean, I remember playing back at the old Hyatt, back in those days. That was a great facility. Quite honestly, it just outgrew that. The success of the event and the jobs that Charlie Pasarell and Ray Moore have done over the years, I mean, it's one of the premier events in tennis.

Mission Hills has obviously hosted other tournaments that go on, not necessarily professional tournaments, but USTA tournaments, and obviously the Davis Cup a number of years ago. It's a more intimate atmosphere there. You know, that's what we like in Davis Cup, we like the place to be packed, whether it's 5,000 people or 12,000. We want to create that kind of environment that is exciting for the fans and for the players.

You know, Davis Cup is different. I mean, Davis Cup is just a whole different type of atmosphere. Our guys thrive in that. They enjoy it. We want the fans to enjoy it. The USTA does a great job in helping create that atmosphere with, as I said earlier, music and flag-waving and different things that go on.

We try to keep it fair. We try to keep it clean, as they say. We try to have a good time and encourage people to participate more than they normally would in sort of a regular tennis match.

Q. In your opinion as a tennis player, what makes atmosphere for a tennis event?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Atmosphere is crowd being into it. That's it. If you're a player, I mean, there's nothing like walking out and being introduced on the court and seeing a packed house. I mean, there's just nothing like it. We had that every day in La Jolla from the moment that we stepped out on the court. There's no late-arriving crowd, people are there, and they're there a half hour before the match and they're pumping themselves up. That's the kind of energy that we want and, you know, that you get in Davis Cup. You certainly get that at the premier events in tennis. Sometimes you get them at places you'd never imagine, where you come out and maybe you're playing in a qualifying match at the US Open and there's 200 people standing around an outside court. That can be pretty darn exciting, too.

Q. Does the heat make a difference? Does it wear on people?

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: It can. I mean, obviously, super hot conditions are no fun for anybody, you know - the players or the fans.

So if you can do anything to keep it a relatively nice temperature, we'd appreciate it.

CHRIS WIDMAIER: I'd like to thank everybody for joining us today and extend a gracious thank you to Captain McEnroe as well. We appreciate you taking the time, Patrick, and giving us your thoughts.

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE: Thank you, Chris, and thank you for your help.

NicoFan
02-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks for posting that Deb.

Pat Mac's comment actually makes part of my point about moving the DC site around more - "I think people that were in La Jolla a few weeks ago realized that, and that's why there's a buzz about Davis Cup. And, look, if we do well, if we get to the semis, finals, and have a chance to win it, maybe nationally people will take notice a bit more. But that's something that is a little bit out of our control."

Yes, winning is the bottom line. But Pat Mac kept mentioning the same sites. And while I'm taking some heat ;) about how I feel about the USTA, one of the reasons tennis isn't as popular in the US as it s/b is that the USTA doesn't market the sport properly. And yes there are many many reasons why tennis isn't as popular in the US as it used to be and that is only one, but their inability to market the sport is a big one.

We want the tennis buzz to be all over the country.

People can say a million times that California is the only one with the right weather etc etc but that's totally untrue. And it is the responsibility of the USTA to promote the sport - their own motto seen on www.usta.com says "to promote and develop the growth of tennis" - oh yeah putting Davis Cup in Southern California three straight times is a great way "to promote and develop the growth of tennis" ;) :lol: !!!! One way "to promote and develop the growth of tennis" is to develop sites where tournaments and Davis Cup matches can be played. And with their financial resources, the USTA can promote and develop sites. We're a big country - no one can tell me that only Southern California has great facilities for this time of year - that's bull.

Yes, maybe too late for this DC tie - they needed grass and only 3 sites (2 in California) could do it. They couldn't start from square one. But they need to make sure this doesn't happen again - by promoting and developing sites - that's what they say their mission is - so maybe they should try doing it.

And while I may be "pontificating", Atlanta is a great tennis city - even though they don't have grass courts :lol: (an odd way in my opinion to decide whether they are a great tennis city or not). I think the fact that they have the largest amateur tennis league in the US is a far more important factor in determining whether they are a great tennis city or not. And grass courts can be built - the USTA has plenty of money.

And no, the USTA doesn't have to ask myself or other fans their opinions on the site location. But one of people's biggest complaints at the US Open is how little the USTA cares about the fans. Bottom line - if there are no fans, there is no tennis here in the US - we'll eventually lose our tournaments to other parts of the world - Asia now - that will fill the stands. The USTA needs to take some pointers from sports that do listen to their fans and that are growing.

End of my discussion on this. ;) :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-24-2006, 04:11 PM
I don't disagree with you Lynn that it should be moved around. But I also think that the #1 priority i winning and for that to happen, this tie HAS to be on grass.

It is up to each location to decide what they can offer and make a bid. I still don't see what the USTA can do about that. All they can do is consider the bids that come in and make the best decision given the particular needs that the opponent requires and what the team and captain want, etc.

I mean, no one complained when the 2004 ties were all on the East Coast... In fact, DC hadn't been out west for many years. And i'm sure that after this one, it won't be. If we were to beat Chile and France beats Russia, I am 100% sure that the Semifinal would be somewhere else.

So if only 2 places bid with grass and one was not large enough to hold this kind of event....PMac basically admits that Winston-Salem's bid was better but that the USTA chose to FOREGO making some extra cash in order to give us the best chance of winning. I think that's pretty cool in a day where everything is controlled by money, they were willing to put the concerns of the team ahead of their pocketbooks. So with that in mind, where should it have been? I don't think you can criticize them choosing from the only options that were given to them if you don't provide another feasible alternative...

NicoFan
02-24-2006, 04:30 PM
It shouldn't all be on the East Coast either - unfortunately for the middle of the country, it seems that most of the tournaments are played on the east or west coast. Or Houston.

I would just like to see them develop more sites, not only for DC but for tournaments. Other sports know that - for example, when I was a kid and watched hockey, all the teams were bunched up in the northeast and upper middle north - now its all over the country. Ditto Nascar - they knew they would get no where fast if they remained only a southeast sport - now there's racing all over the country - including California, Vegas, Texas.

A sport like football can get away with always having the Super Bowl at the same domed sites - they have excellent TV coverage. But that cannot be said for tennis.

There is a lot wrong with the way tennis is run across the globe - TV rights being one of the biggest. While the ATP doesn't seem able to make any changes, we as fans in the US should pressure the USTA to do a good job promoting the sport here (which is my suggestion).

As I said it was too late for this tie - but I think that it should be something that isn't repeated. And the only way to not have it be repeated is for fans to speak up.

But just my humble opinion. ;)

alfonsojose
02-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Things are not going to be easy. Gonzo is no slouch on any surface and ...

Fish = Fishy as always
Ginepri = chokin'
Andy = :shrug:
Blake = :shrug: :shrug:

Fee
02-24-2006, 06:29 PM
I'm thinking we need to start a populist movement to get Gimelstob on the team for this tie. He got farther at Wimbledon last year than any other American except for Andy and Taylor, beating 2 Chileans on the way. He's obviously the best choice for the number 2 singles player (if he can keep his back stitched together for a week).

;)

As for the USTA, yeah, they mostly suck, the USOpen is a zoo, they give out community grants to the richest suburban clubs that don't need the money instead of the inner-city clubs that do, and they play horrible politics with the lower-ranked pros, but they made the right decision with this tie.

NicoFan
02-24-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm thinking we need to start a populist movement to get Gimelstob on the team for this tie. He got farther at Wimbledon last year than any other American except for Andy and Taylor, beating 2 Chileans on the way. He's obviously the best choice for the number 2 singles player (if he can keep his back stitched together for a week).

;)

As for the USTA, yeah, they mostly suck, the USOpen is a zoo, they give out community grants to the richest suburban clubs that don't need the money instead of the inner-city clubs that do, and they play horrible politics with the lower-ranked pros, but they made the right decision with this tie.

That's the way to put it concisely Fee!!!! :yeah: :lol: Couldn't agree more...with the part in bold. ;)

And go for it to lobby for Justin - though I have to tell you that while he did beat Adrian and Nico last June, Adrian isn't going to play DC against the US (unless either Nico and Fernando get hurt, and even then, Paul Capdeville would play before Adrian). And Nico was going through the worst time of his career last summer - without boring with the details, he had one injury after another in 2005, was a total and complete mess emotionally, and continued to be a mess throughout the rest of the season. I'm happy to report that he is no longer a mess :lol: , and has had good results so far this year so he won't be the same man that Justin faced last June.

Raquel
02-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks for that Deb!

I wish I could find that story about the surface in I think it was India. That's what made me think it could be any surface.

I probably just dreamed it. Or getting old. One or the other. :lol:Could it possibly be Pakistan? I remembered starting a thread about what sounds like a pretty bad surface ;) - http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=17359

NicoFan
02-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Could it possibly be Pakistan? I remembered starting a thread about what sounds like a pretty bad surface ;) - http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=17359

Thanks! :hug:

Yup, I remembered last night late that it was Pakistan not India but I still couldn't remember what the surface was.

Lee
02-25-2006, 02:19 AM

I mean the Roddick can not be faulted for his committment to the DC cause, but my point is Massu wouldn't win a title on a fast hardcourt on tour, when he played for Chile in the Games, he grew to an outstanding level that he normally doesn't play at. Guys like Ljubo, Nalbandian, Hewitt (of old) beating Guga and Costa on clay in hostile environments is enough to suggest that and Hrbaty are examples of players lifting their games to higher levels and so far none of the Americans have showed that.

Wondering why GWH didn't mention Corretja's win over Sampras on grass ;)

RogiFan88
02-25-2006, 02:47 AM
VAMOS CHILE !!!!!

Hey, Costa and Sanchez DID play tennis underwater at the Oceanografic [:cool: place] in Valencia this week to promote the Valencia tourney! ;)

I♥PsY@Mus!c
02-25-2006, 03:04 AM
Don't worry,Chileans can beat the duck nowadays. :)
Feña can play well on grass, :rocker2: best of luck to him! :kiss:

RogiFan88
02-25-2006, 03:28 AM
Just be thankful it won't be in Houston...shudder...

Action Jackson
02-25-2006, 06:16 AM
Wondering why GWH didn't mention Corretja's win over Sampras on grass ;)

Well 1996 is still a bad time in reference to those two playing.

As for the US, of course they have to pick the best surface for them to win on and to disadvantage their opponents and in this case where else could they play on grass in April, unless they wanted to do it indoors and most federations are tightwads so they aren't going to spend cash to get an indoor grass court.

Action Jackson
03-11-2006, 10:21 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4795932.stm

Agassi ready for Davis Cup call

Andre Agassi has made himself available for the United States' Davis Cup tie against Chile in California next month.

The 35-year-old missed the first-round win over Romania in February because he was recovering from an ankle injury.

The eight-time Grand Slam winner may have trouble displacing Andy Roddick and James Blake, who were the singles picks in the 4-1 win last month.

Agassi has also confirmed he will miss the clay court season, including Roland Garros, to concentrate on Wimbledon.

Since he took over as captain six years ago, US skipper Patrick McEnroe has chosen Andy Roddick every time he has been healthy while Blake has risen to number 14 in the world rankings.

However, Agassi, the second most successful player in US Davis Cup history, feels he may earn a spot with a strong performance at the Pacific Life Open at Indian Wells.

"When my game and confidence comes around and the pieces fall, all of a sudden I can be playing a pretty high level of tennis," said Agassi.

NicoFan
03-11-2006, 12:51 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanks for posting that George!

I really hope Andre plays! He'll be tough for Nico and Fernando, but I know that Nico really wants Andre to play despite the fact that it will be tough. Andre was his favorite player when he was a kid (and he still looks up to him a lot) so I think that has something to do with it.

Conita
03-11-2006, 03:49 PM
OK people
i think there's a factor that has been ignored...
Chilean fans Yay!!!
in case ur not familiar with our super chear here's a reminder!!!

ATENCION CHILENOS DE CORAZON!!!
C-H-I?!
CHI!!
L CON E?!
LE!!!
CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE
VIVA CHILE !!!!!

:bigclap: :yippee: :bounce: :bounce: :yippee: :bigclap:

yeah u'll be hearing us from around the world, we will not go down without a fight!
and its going to be an amazing one yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

VAMOS CHILENOSSSSSSSSS!!

*Viva Chile*
03-11-2006, 03:55 PM
l con e?????

que yo sepa es "ele - é" :p

NicoFan
03-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Pat Mac may not decide until a couple days before whether it wil be James or Andre. I'm surprised that Andre would do that.

I wouldn't want to be Pat Mac - hard decision.

Also he said yesterday on ESPN on the decision that James' racquet was doing the talking. I had kind of taken that to mean James would be the one, but then I read this.

Apologies - I had to use a translator so some sentences are a little awkward.

From latercera.cl: (Chilean online newspaper)

The decision that has among his hands the captain U.S., Patrick McEnroe, is not easy. Leaving below the matches before Chile to Andre Agassi turns out to be very complicated, by trying a legend, as is the "Kid of Las Vegas". Even James Blake, the other that fights by a position, said that "I do not know if would tell no to Agassi".

Nevertheless, the American coach slid in their television comments of ESPN 2 an alternative to facilitate their task: to nominate to Agassi and Blake so that they plunge to the already sure Andy Roddick and the brothers Mike and Bob Bryan to the practices in Rancho Mirage and only to make a decision on the second singles player hours before the match against Chile.

"The already it has done that before and is a strong alternative", commented Tim Curry, member of the American Association of Tennis.

The rule of the ITF indicates that 10 days before the match should be recorded four players (28 of March), nevertheless is permitted to change to two of them to the day of the drawing, that prior Thursday to the confrontation is performed.

The measure even already would have arrived at the ears of the players. Blake, for example, was not shown very pleased.

"It is very difficult to be concentrate on the training when do not you know if are going to play. There is pressure during all the week, as opposed to when there are only four players. At Thursday arrives relaxed and ready for three days of pressure. To the contrary of if arrives with four days of pressure in the training, added to three more than the matches. It is hard. It will be something that will have to converse", explained the New Yorker, who has the first option to be set against them directed of Hans Gildemeister thanks to its campaign of the last weeks (champion in Las Vegas and semifinalist in Indian Wells).

shotgun
03-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Agassi and Roddick, that would be quite a reliable singles team, considering their form of late. :p

NicoFan
03-18-2006, 09:50 PM
James is doing much better than Andre - and Andre's health is iffy at time.

But Andre is proven on grass and James isn't.

That's why I wouldn't want to be Pat Mac and have to make this decision.

Deboogle!.
03-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Based on what PMac himself said during James's match yesterday, I would be shocked if he's not picked based on current form and recent happenings. Andre hasn't even played on grass since 2004.

I suppose it's always possible for Andre to suddenly pick up his form and have a great tourney in Miami, he's certainly done that before, but I don't see it as being too likely. Pmac seems to be starting to have some faith in James and that's great for James and the US Team in general.

He can always just name one to the team and bring them both to the practice week and make a decision Thursday before the draw, but Andre's ego might be too big to be left aside like that.

If PMac doesn't pick James, now a top 10 player playing arguably top 5 tennis right now, then he's just stupid.

mangoes
03-18-2006, 09:57 PM
James is doing much better than Andre - and Andre's health is iffy at time.

But Andre is proven on grass and James isn't.

That's why I wouldn't want to be Pat Mac and have to make this decision.

Nicofan, I'll admit it, I'm getting a bit worried that your hot Chilean sweeties may get the better of us. I don't know what's going on with Andy so I can no longer say that his matches are a guaranteed win for the US. Andre :hug: is a bit iffy due to his health. Blake, while being quite a force these days on hardcourt, is a bit of a risky choice on grass. I'd feel much better about our chances with at least a 90% Andy...........but who knows which Andy will show up :shrug: :sad:

azza
03-18-2006, 09:59 PM
I Thing the Usa lose 4-1 to the Chilieans

mangoes
03-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Based on what PMac himself said during James's match yesterday, I would be shocked if he's not picked based on current form and recent happenings. Andre hasn't even played on grass since 2004.

I suppose it's always possible for Andre to suddenly pick up his form and have a great tourney in Miami, he's certainly done that before, but I don't see it as being too likely. Pmac seems to be starting to have some faith in James and that's great for James and the US Team in general.

He can always just name one to the team and bring them both to the practice week and make a decision Thursday before the draw, but Andre's ego might be too big to be left aside like that.

If PMac doesn't pick James, now a top 10 player playing arguably top 5 tennis right now, then he's just stupid.

I agree with you that it would be unfair if Blake isn't picked, but how strong is Blake on grass? At the end of the day, I just want the USA to win, I don't care how, I just want us to win.......

NicoFan
03-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Nicofan, I'll admit it, I'm getting a bit worried that your hot Chilean sweeties may get the better of us. I don't know what's going on with Andy so I can no longer say that his matches are a guaranteed win for the US. Andre :hug: is a bit iffy due to his health. Blake, while being quite a force these days on hardcourt, is a bit of a risky choice on grass. I'd feel much better about our chances with at least a 90% Andy...........but who knows which Andy will show up :shrug: :sad:

Well one of my hot Chilean sweeties is having his problems too. :sad: Fernando's shoulder and wrist had been bothering him - and he had a quick exit from IW. He's not really saying much so don't know if its still physical or lack of playing time.

Miami will tell a lot on how he's doing.

And my other hot Chilean sweetie :lol: - my Nico - isn't good on grass. He's got so much heart though so he'll try his best, and if he had more time to get used to grass, I would give him a good shot - but he'll only have a few days before the matches.

Horacio de la Pena visited the site after Fernando lost at IW and said the court is very slow and the ball bounces low - slow is good for Nico but low bounces - not so good - he's like Rafa - likes it high.

Right now I have to admit that I'm more concerned with Fernando's health than on DC. I can't wait to see him in Miami to see how he's doing.

NicoFan
03-18-2006, 10:11 PM
I agree with you that it would be unfair if Blake isn't picked, but how strong is Blake on grass? At the end of the day, I just want the USA to win, I don't care how, I just want us to win.......

Yup.

Really tough decision.

Winning on hardcourts is totally different than winning on grass. Like comparing apples and oranges.

Maybe Pat Mac has a point not deciding until the draw. See if James is getting used to it. If not, go with Andre.

But again, surprised that Andre would go along with that. He's The Man. And wouldn't blame him really. A Legend doesn't usually have to try out for a team. ;)

mangoes
03-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Well one of my hot Chilean sweeties is having his problems too. :sad: Fernando's shoulder and wrist had been bothering him - and he had a quick exit from IW. He's not really saying much so don't know if its still physical or lack of playing time.

Miami will tell a lot on how he's doing.

And my other hot Chilean sweetie :lol: - my Nico - isn't good on grass. He's got so much heart though so he'll try his best, and if he had more time to get used to grass, I would give him a good shot - but he'll only have a few days before the matches.

Horacio de la Pena visited the site after Fernando lost at IW and said the court is very slow and the ball bounces low - slow is good for Nico but low bounces - not so good - he's like Rafa - likes it high.

Right now I have to admit that I'm more concerned with Fernando's health than on DC. I can't wait to see him in Miami to see how he's doing.

I did not know Gonzo was injured. I was shocked that he made such an early exit from IW. I hope it isn't anything too serious, I think he is a really nice player. Hopefully, he'll be fine by Miami and DC.................................

NicoFan
03-18-2006, 10:19 PM
I did not know Gonzo was injured. I was shocked that he made such an early exit from IW. I hope it isn't anything too serious, I think he is a really nice player. Hopefully, he'll be fine by Miami and DC.................................

Well his shoulder started bothering him in Auckland and then at the Oz Open it was bad. But came back to Chile, they said it just needed rest, he rested, and it bothered him only a little in DC against Slovakia.

But then his wrist.

Haven't heard much about either and he didn't use either as an excuse that he lost IW so might just be lack of playing time.

That's why I want to see him in Miami - I can see for myself.

Deboogle!.
03-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Nicofan, I'll admit it, I'm getting a bit worried that your hot Chilean sweeties may get the better of us. I don't know what's going on with Andy so I can no longer say that his matches are a guaranteed win for the US. Andre :hug: is a bit iffy due to his health. Blake, while being quite a force these days on hardcourt, is a bit of a risky choice on grass. I'd feel much better about our chances with at least a 90% Andy...........but who knows which Andy will show up :shrug: :sad:The good thing is that Andy actually still has confidence on grass (I hope :unsure: ), and he seems to be able to perform better in DC play b/c he cares so much. Andre may be more proven on grass than James but the discrepancy in form right now is so huge that I feel that it shouldn't even really matter. They'd have a whole week to get used to the grass. James takes the ball early, hits pretty flat, and has a good volley.... that should add up to being pretty good on grass. He's only 13-12 on it in his career but he, too, cares about DC a lot and I think that he'd do everything he possibly can to play his best on grass. I'd think he'd have a good chance to beat Massu on grass, if nothing else.

Perhaps I'm being selfish but I'm also paying a lot of money to go see this tie and I'll be pissed if he puts an out-of-form Agassi in there instead of James. I am going to see the US win, not to see Agassi play. He's a legend but it shouldn't matter. The goal is to win DC, not to pump up his ego b/c you can't say no to Mr. Agassi.

mrpotatoman
03-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Well I am backing the US boys as well. And who is hot? ;)

NicoFan
03-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Perhaps I'm being selfish but I'm also paying a lot of money to go see this tie and I'll be pissed if he puts an out-of-form Agassi in there instead of James. I am going to see the US win, not to see Agassi play. He's a legend but it shouldn't matter. The goal is to win DC, not to pump up his ego b/c you can't say no to Mr. Agassi.

You're not being selfish - I saw the prices of the tickets and my eyes about popped out of my head. I was in shock at how high they were.

And agree about Andre - plus I wouldn't think that he would want to be in a position to be out of match form and lose it for the US. I would think and hope that if he wasn't playing well at that time that he would bow out gracefully.

Sounds like Pat Mac is playing a bit of politics. He probably wants James right now, but can't/won't say "no" to Andre. So let them both come, and the proof of whatever he decides will be there for all the world to see. Meaning James will still be kicking butt, Andre will be having problems, and he can say James without taking crap from anyone.

Deboogle!.
03-18-2006, 11:22 PM
You're not being selfish - I saw the prices of the tickets and my eyes about popped out of my head. I was in shock at how high they were.The prices have been exactly the same for the last 3 ties. It's a lot, but our seats have been so good that it's worth it. It's so different and so special that it's worth a little extra money over a regular tourney. We were less than 10 rows from the front last time. But that said, for that kind of cash for only 5 matches, I expect to see the best the country has to offer right now.And agree about Andre - plus I wouldn't think that he would want to be in a position to be out of match form and lose it for the US. I would think and hope that if he wasn't playing well at that time that he would bow out gracefully.

Sounds like Pat Mac is playing a bit of politics. He probably wants James right now, but can't/won't say "no" to Andre. So let them both come, and the proof of whatever he decides will be there for all the world to see. Meaning James will still be kicking butt, Andre will be having problems, and he can say James without taking crap from anyone.Would Andre's ego put up with that though? in 2004, Andre gave up the alternate spot at TMC, for arguably the same reason. I dunno, it's hard to picture Andre putting up with a whole week of practice like that on grass to be snubbed. I guess we'll see what happens!

NicoFan
03-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Would Andre's ego put up with that though? in 2004, Andre gave up the alternate spot at TMC, for arguably the same reason. I dunno, it's hard to picture Andre putting up with a whole week of practice like that on grass to be snubbed. I guess we'll see what happens!

Sounds from the article that James didn't like it so doubt Andre would either.

We shall see if Pat Mac can pull this off.

I'm not a Pat Mac fan, but I feel sorry for him. He's in a Catch-22 situation if whoever he picks as the second singles player loses.

If he picks James, and James loses, people will yell what a stupid decision it was when he had Andre a past Wimbledon champion at his disposal.

If he picks Andre, and Andre loses, people will yell what a stupid decision it was when he had James who is playing awesome at his disposal.

Whoever it is has to get the job done in order for him to avoid being criticized.

With that said, me the bad horrid American that I am ;) still want my two hot Chileno sweeties to get the upset. :yeah: :lol:

Deboogle!.
03-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Sounds from the article that James didn't like it so doubt Andre would either.but based on what Pmac himself said on tv yesterday, James is his first choice as of right now. No offense to the article you posted or anything but it's from a Chilean paper and it was translated, so I'll go with what I actually heard from PMac's mouth, for now.If he picks Andre, and Andre loses, people will yell what a stupid decision it was when he had James who is playing awesome at his disposal.Thing is - that happened last year already - and Andre's form wasn't even nearly as suspect then as it is now. Granted, last year, there wasn't really a better option b/c none of the other guys had any form, but this time around James does. He could even be ranked higher than Andre by the time of the tie, depending on what happens at IW and Miami too.

I just think Pmac is absolutely stupid if he picks Andre, unless Andre has a magical Miami.

mangoes
03-19-2006, 12:45 AM
How much are the tickets?

Deboogle!.
03-19-2006, 12:56 AM
125, 250, or 375.... there are limited really expensive "VIP" seats for $500 and VERY few $90 seats way far back at one end...

NicoFan
03-19-2006, 12:58 AM
And I'm a little embarrassed because I read it wrong - I thought it was $90-375 PER DAY - its $90-375 for the three-day series.

That's kind of expensive but understandable for Davis Cup.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2006, 01:02 AM
OH MAN that'd be..... whoa, no one would go, not even out there or down in La Jolla with a lot of rich people :lol:

We've gotten the $250 package each time and been quite pleased, but this time Ticketmaster was handling the sales and wouldn't let us give a location preference (stadium not built yet so couldn't get exact seats), so that sucks. Amber and I both would rather be on the sideline but even that close on the baseline should be pretty good.

BBP880
03-19-2006, 01:04 AM
yeahh i wanted Newport to bid, so i can drive the 1 hour drive from connecticut into rhode island.

i wanted my first ever davis cup event :sad:
It was in Mohegan Sun a few years back :shrug:

NicoFan
03-19-2006, 01:10 AM
OH MAN that'd be..... whoa, no one would go, not even out there or down in La Jolla with a lot of rich people :lol:

We've gotten the $250 package each time and been quite pleased, but this time Ticketmaster was handling the sales and wouldn't let us give a location preference (stadium not built yet so couldn't get exact seats), so that sucks. Amber and I both would rather be on the sideline but even that close on the baseline should be pretty good.

:haha: I know, I'm so embarrassed now. I was thinking when I first read it (obviously read it wrong) that I would have to take out a small loan if I wanted to go to the tie! :lol:

That does suck that you couldn't get the exact location.

I like sideline seats about 4-5 feet behind the baseline opposite the chair right in the first row - I can watch them closeup when the players serve but still have a nice view of the other side of the court. Or if its a Nico or Fernando match in a smaller stadium, sometimes I like to sit near their coaches who will generally sit in the endzone seats - I enjoy listening to them talk to their coaches and I can learn a lot that way - and its like the TV view of a match.

NicoFan
03-19-2006, 01:12 AM
It was in Mohegan Sun a few years back :shrug:

I wish I had gone to that now. I live in NYC but originally am from CT. But it was before I was an Andy fan, and I was so pissed at Pat Mac for not putting James on the team, that I decided not to go. Not a good decision.

revolution
03-19-2006, 01:17 AM
Fernando is going to win this tie for the Chileans, I see it coming :)

mangoes
03-19-2006, 01:39 AM
Well, I hope you are right Deb about Roddick still holding onto his confidance on grass. One thing for sure, whoever carries the second torch needs to be extremely strong due to Roddick's whatever......... I find it quite shocking that Andre has just popped up and said he wants to play DC. Could it be that Pat approached Andre and begged him to play, but now he is in a bit of a pickle because Blake has picked up his play while it is quite obvious that Andre has declined in physical fitness.........long run on statement, but it could be that Pat created this mess.

I'm not 100% convinced that Blake is a better choice than Andre (disclaimer: Can my personal troll please spare me his ramblings tonight about the supposed consuming fire of hatred that burns deep within me for blake, keeping me up every night. This is solely about the US winning DC 2006) I think a case can be made for and against either player. I thought playing on grass would make me feel more confident about our chances against Chile, but it's not......... Maybe we should have taken our chance with a hard court :shrug: using Blake as the primary and hoping the Brian Brothers would seal the deal.

125, 250, or 375.... there are limited really expensive "VIP" seats for $500 and VERY few $90 seats way far back at one end...

:eek: THAT'S EXPENSIVE

Deboogle!.
03-19-2006, 03:42 AM
I'm not 100% convinced that Blake is a better choice than Andre there's no way to be 100% sure. But you can only go on recent results and now as of Monday James will be ranked higher than Andre. I thought playing on grass would make me feel more confident about our chances against Chile, but it's not......... Maybe we should have taken our chance with a hard court :shrug: using Blake as the primary and hoping the Brian Brothers would seal the dealWell, I don't agree. I thnk the Chileans like HC and have more confidence on it. At least grass is uncomfortable for them - moreso than HC. The Bryans are good on grass. I think it gives us the best chance - not perfect, but better than any speed of HC (Gonzo has won on very fast carpet and the Olympics surface was extremely fast HC):eek: THAT'S EXPENSIVEIt's not all that much worse than getting three days' worth of good seats to a top tourney. Yeah it's less matches but after having just been to a DC tie and also a masters event within a month of each other, DC is just awesome:D

Winston's Human
03-19-2006, 04:34 AM
Besides the fact that James is in the best current form of any of the American men, PMac should choose James for team-building purposes. I would put money down (and I never gamble) that Andre would not make himself available for a possible semifinal at Russia on most likely red clay.

While Andre did win Wimbledon fourteen years ago and was in the final seven years ago, his recent form (when healthy) at Wimbledon has not been that great.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
03-19-2006, 08:41 AM
I like Andre the most among all Americans but his current form...sorry. :sad: IMO James must be picked anyway.But whatever it is I want Feña to win his matches the most! :rocker2:

03-20-2006, 02:12 AM
Picking a surface doesn't necessarily mean a win. Who knows maybe the Chileans will win on grass?

World Beater
03-20-2006, 02:22 AM
gonzo is dangerous on grass.

Chileno
03-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Gonzo is playing bad, he strugled at home in the DC game against Slovakia...I hope he gets more than a couple of matches in Miami to get back in form.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
03-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Gonzo is playing bad, he strugled at home in the DC game against Slovakia...I hope he gets more than a couple of matches in Miami to get back in form.
Yes,and I said this last time too.His form is what I worry about.

Deboogle!.
03-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Picking a surface doesn't necessarily mean a win.No one said that it did - that's what the discussion in this thread has been about.

Anyway, PMac may not even be at the tie. So that would certainly hurt the US team.