Wayne Arthurs out for three months [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wayne Arthurs out for three months

smucav
02-23-2006, 03:29 AM
http://www.atptennis.com/memphis/news/2006/day4.1.aspArthurs said the match would be his last for three months. He and partner Caroline are expecting their first baby in one month. The baby will be born in Melbourne.

NATAS81
02-23-2006, 03:29 AM
:o

Congrats Wayno.

flip_fan
02-23-2006, 03:32 AM
no davis cup tie in april??

bad gambler
02-23-2006, 03:33 AM
congrats wayno :yeah:

Golfnduck
02-23-2006, 03:37 AM
Congratulations on the baby Wayne :hug:

Lee
02-23-2006, 04:02 AM
Congrat Arthurs! :yeah:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
02-23-2006, 04:40 AM
God I thought he is injuried! :o
Congrats to him! :yeah:

cris1085
02-23-2006, 07:37 AM
Congrats to you and your wife!!!

Horatio Caine
02-23-2006, 07:50 AM
:eek: Congratulations Wayne! :yeah:

Nathaliia
02-23-2006, 07:52 AM
wow ! it was a big .. serve !!

Kristen
02-23-2006, 08:14 AM
:tape: I also thought he was injured, and thought it was the end for him...

But this is good news. Wayne's going to be an awesome dad :hug:

Jogy
02-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Good news for Arthurs family. But at some time, perhaps last chance to defend single title in his career

Elleke
02-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Sweet, that he is taking some time off to spend with his wife

Aleksa's Laydee
02-23-2006, 04:24 PM
awww nice one wayne :D

Socket
02-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Congralations to Wayne and Caroline on their baby! Peter Lucazk's girlfriend is also expecting -- I think Lleyton and Bec started a trend.

(And another DC player is out. At this rate, Jaslyn Hewitt will be recruited to play for the Aussie DC squad.)

LaTenista
02-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Congralations to Wayne and Caroline on their baby! Peter Lucazk's girlfriend is also expecting -- I think Lleyton and Bec started a trend.

(And another DC player is out. At this rate, Jaslyn Hewitt will be recruited to play for the Aussie DC squad.)

There's a thread for trends. ;)

Congrats to the Arthurs clan. Wayne and I have the same birthday (but different year) :D

Scotso
02-23-2006, 10:12 PM
a baby Wayne :scared:

sigmagirl91
02-23-2006, 10:25 PM
There's a thread for trends. ;)

Congrats to the Arthurs clan. Wayne and I have the same birthday (but different year) :D

Wayne is three days younger than I am.

Ferrero Forever
02-24-2006, 07:49 AM

Great for Wayne, but I must say I am disappointed that he won't be playing because I should be attending this tie. I must ask, whats the likely lineup going to be, will Hewitt play?

krystlel
02-24-2006, 07:53 AM
Even though Wayne said he won't be playing for three months, couldn't it still be possible that he might play since the tie's in Melbourne and he won't have to do any travelling. :confused:

Ferrero Forever
02-24-2006, 08:01 AM
Kooyong isn't that far from the city, i'm not sure where he lives, so it shouldn't be out of his way

Björki
02-24-2006, 08:17 AM
I think he'd play DC if Fitzy wants him to play.

all the best to Wayno and his wife :hug:

Socket
02-24-2006, 02:43 PM
I haven't heard anything on whether Lleyton intends to play, I suspect he won't make any decision until after at least IW.

I can't see Wayne playing in the tie in April without any match play starting from this week. That's just too much time off.

belco
02-24-2006, 03:31 PM
congrats wayne!!!!

good luck being a dad

smucav
03-03-2006, 03:28 AM
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=14847&bannerregion=Where's Wayne?
By Richard Pagliaro
03/02/2006

In the last eight weeks alone, Wayne Arthurs may well have logged more frequent flyer miles than the Harlem Globetrotters in flying from his home in Melbourne to Australia's first-round Davis Cup tie in Geneva, Switzerland to the SAP Open in San Jose.

Combating a case of jet leg, Arthurs landed on his feet, endured a first-round doubles defeat to John McEnroe and Jonas Bjorkman, but reached the San Jose singles quarterfinals before bowing to compatriot Lleyton Hewitt. Flying cross-country to Memphis, Arthurs went airborne indoors.

Catching up to his lethal left-handed serve proved to be as easy as changing the windshield wiper on a passing 747 as Arthurs smacked 33 aces and held a match point before succumbing to Andy Roddick, 7-6(4), 6-7(11), 6-7(2), in the Memphis round of 16.

The 34-year-old affable Aussie accomplished all of this activity while constantly calling home to check on the health of his girlfriend, former player Caroline Gideskog, who is expecting the couple's first child in five to seven weeks.

While he came up slightly short against Roddick, Arthurs came down with something else in the process: a virus he caught on his latest cross-continental plane flight, making the first two months of the 2006 season a memorable ride for the man who produced the best season of his career last year in claiming his first career singles title at The Tennis Channel Open, reaching the Munich quarterfinals, capturing doubles championships with Paul Hanley in San Jose and Stockholm and qualifying for the Tennis Masters Cup in doubles.

But it is the trip he did not take that may resonate with Arthurs: When the Tennis Channel Open made the move from Scottsdale to Las Vegas this year, it neglected to extend a main-draw invitation to the man who lifted the tournament title last year.

Arthurs' ranking of No. 91 at entry deadline did not make the cut for direct entry and he did not get the call from tournament organizers for a wild card though he was offered a spot in the qualifying draw. Wild cards were initially awarded to Mark Philippoussis, who subsequently pulled out, Bob Bryan, who could not play singles due to a strained shoulder and Mardy Fish. American Sam Querrey, ranked No. 459, was awarded a wild card after the departures of Philippoussis and Bryan.

A modest man with a self-deprecating sense of humor in the tradition of old-school Aussie players, Arthurs is genuinely one of the good guys on the ATP Tour. He told Tennis Week he understands the challenges Tennis Channel tournament director Steve Bellamy faces in trying to promote the event in its Las Vegas debut and suggested the ATP consider adopting a special exempt rule to prevent occurrences like this: where a defending champion is essentially denied the opportunity to defend his title because his ranking does not guarantee him automatic entry.

"I believe the ATP needs to protect the defending champions of any event on the ATP Tour by introducing a special-exempt rule to guarantee that they are able to defend their title no matter (what) ranking," Arthurs told Tennis Week. "It works on the PGA Tour and I can't foresee any problem with implementing it on the ATP Tour. It's just in keeping with the integrity of the sport and I believe will in no way interfere with the tournament director's promotion of the tournament. It may even be of benefit."

It's not the first time the defending champion was not granted a wild card into the main draw. In 1999, Jan-Michael Gambill defeated Andre Agassi and Lleyton Hewitt to win his first career championship in Scottsdale, but did not qualify for the main draw the following year and was bypassed for wild cards. The tournament, which was then owned by IMG, gave one of its wild cards the next year to a younger American named James Blake, who was ranked No. 170 at the time and happened to be an IMG client.

Given the fact top draw Andy Roddick and one of the ATP Tour's hottest players, Tommy Haas, both pulled out of Vegas, and neither Philippoussis nor Bob Bryan were able to use the wild cards, it would have been fitting for Arthurs to receive a wild card, where he may well have been a triple-threat contender in singles, doubles and the tournament's fast-serve contest.

Arthurs made history at the 2005 Tennis Channel Open. At age 33, he became the oldest man to capture his first ATP Tour singles title with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over third-seeded Mario Ancic in the singles final. Arriving in Scottsdale last year with an unimposing ranking of No. 99. Arthurs proceeded to heat up in a hurry, surviving third-set tiebreaks in his opening two matches, scoring a 3-6, 6-3, 7-6(4) victory over Taylor Dent followed by a 6-2, 6-7(5), 7-6(6) triumph over Justin Gimelstob before beating Glenn Weiner and Christophe Rochus in straight sets to reach the final. In complete command on serve, Arthurs did not face a break point in the match to extend his streak of service games held to 62. Arthurs also reached the 2005 Tennis Channel Open doubles final with Hanley where the pair fell to Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan, 7-5, 6-4.

"Especially now that I'm older, it's probably even more satisfying to win a tournament this late in my career. I'm going to savor every moment of it, that's for sure," Arthurs said immediately after his victory.

The Tennis Channel has gone to great lengths to realize Bellamy's vision of a Tennispalooza and make The Tennis Channel Open one of the most fan-friendly tournaments in the country. Hosting players' post-match press conferences in an open tent, as the senior tour once did, enables fans on site to get even closer to the players. Bellamy showed his spirit by granting free ticket vouchers to fans who endured the gusty conditions in Tuesday night's session and innovations such as featuring three doubles matches on stadium court in Thursday night's session, a "shot-gun" tournament open to all players for the right to gain entry into qualifying and the net-cam TTC has displayed in its match coverage have been welcome enhancements.

From a fast-serve contest to foosball to world-class competitors to its location just a short drive from the glittering strip that's one of the most recognized streets in the nation, The Tennis Channel Open has a lot to offer and the tournament may well take off in Vegas. It's a shame the defending champion just wasn't part of that flight plan.

robrulz5
03-03-2006, 03:34 AM
I haven't heard anything on whether Lleyton intends to play, I suspect he won't make any decision until after at least IW.

Hewitt made a phone call to John Fitzgerald and intends to play.

Consigliere
03-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Guccione would be an ok substitute for Arthurs in the doubles, big lefty serve.

Hewitt Luczak can play singles.

Socket
03-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Hewitt made a phone call to John Fitzgerald and intends to play.
Yes, I read that. I have to admit that I'm surprised that he decided this early.

bad gambler
03-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Guccione would be an ok substitute for Arthurs in the doubles, big lefty serve.

Hewitt Luczak can play singles.

that's the likely makeup of the team

though i wouldn't be suprised if hewitt plays the dubs as well.

*Ljubica*
03-03-2006, 01:55 PM
:awww: Congrats to Wayne and his wife - I hope everything goes well for them :hug:

L James
03-03-2006, 02:35 PM
i actually prefer guccione to looch in the singles

smucav
03-14-2006, 05:53 PM
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=14914&bannerregion=It's A Girl: Arthurs, Gideskog Welcome Daughter
By Tennis Week
03/14/2006

Wayne Arthurs earned a new title today: fatherhood. Arthurs' long-time partner, former player Caroline Gideskog, gave birth to the couples' first child: a baby girl.

The couple are the proud parents of Amber Leah Arthurs, born on Tuesday, March 14th at 11 a.m. Melbourne time. Amber Leah Arthurs weighed in at 4.4 kilograms (9.2 pounds).

Arthurs reports both mother and daughter are in great health and spirits.