Which stroke gives you the most difficulty? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which stroke gives you the most difficulty?

chewy
02-22-2006, 08:30 PM
I saw the results of an old online poll published in a tennis magazine(2002) and thought it'll be interesting to try the same poll here and find out what results we'll get from MTF in 2006!

I'll reveal the results of the old online poll from the tennis magazine when this poll is over.

stebs
02-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Do you mean when we play ourselves??

If so then probably the smash, I suck at those, but I kick ass at bounce smashes.

chewy
02-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Do you mean when we play ourselves??

If so then probably the smash, I suck at those, but I kick ass at bounce smashes.
yep :)

JustmeUK
02-22-2006, 08:44 PM
High backhand drive.. the timing and movement on this shot always gives me problems.. trying to step back and then wait for the ball to fall and moving forward through the drive presents me with nightmares!

stebs
02-22-2006, 08:47 PM
High backhand drive.. the timing and movement on this shot always gives me problems.. trying to step back and then wait for the ball to fall and moving forward through the drive presents me with nightmares!

No way. I love backhand drives, they are quite tricky but I just love them. Such a beautiful stroke especially with a one handed backhand like mine :)

chewy
02-22-2006, 08:49 PM
its really hard for me to choose between serve or volley... :scratch:

JustmeUK
02-22-2006, 08:49 PM
No way. I love backhand drives, they are quite tricky but I just love them. Such a beautiful stroke especially with a one handed backhand like mine :)

send me a video :worship: ;)

stebs
02-22-2006, 08:52 PM
send me a video :worship: ;)

Of me hitting a one handed backhand or of any player hitting one.

stebs
02-22-2006, 08:53 PM
its really hard for me to choose between serve or volley... :scratch:

Serve is tricky for me too. I don't mind first serves but my second serve is rubbish, either it is weak or there is a high chance of a DF.

JustmeUK
02-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Of me hitting a one handed backhand or of any player hitting one.

you of course :). I have plenty of videos of Fed/Gasquet/Johansson/Henman :)

stebs
02-22-2006, 08:56 PM
you of course :). I have plenty of videos of Fed/Gasquet/Johansson/Henman :)

I don't have any videos of me playing tennis I'm afraid. Just imagine Gasquet but a bit taller, a bit mmore ugly :( , a lot worse at tennis.

JustmeUK
02-22-2006, 09:01 PM
I don't have any videos of me playing tennis I'm afraid. Just imagine Gasquet but a bit taller, a bit mmore ugly :( , a lot worse at tennis.

no no I want to be able to sleep tonite :angel:

chewy
02-22-2006, 09:01 PM
:lol: ur too modest :p

serve is deffinitely difficult for me but lately i feel its improving(both 1st/2nd serve). so atm i picked volley.

Labamba
02-22-2006, 09:02 PM
I have to choose serve. It's the most inconsistent part of my game, it's hard for me to get a high 1st serve % without taking off too much power.

Godiva
02-22-2006, 09:03 PM
I hit every overhead out. I'm just sooo damn short. :sad: Hey, I never had any formal coaching.

stebs
02-22-2006, 09:06 PM
I hit every overhead out. I'm just sooo damn short. :sad: Hey, I never had any formal coaching.

:wavey: I'm like you even though I'm medium to tall in height. I just mis-time evry single one, I barely ever hit them any more anyway, just let them bounce and hit bounce smash. 100 times easier.

stebs
02-22-2006, 09:07 PM
serve is deffinitely difficult for me but lately i feel its improving(both 1st/2nd serve). so atm i picked volley.

What sort of level are you at? It's hard to give advice when I don't know your standard.

How fast do you serve roughly? that should give me a basic idea.

Jimnik
02-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Overhead smashes, without a doubt. Especially when my opponent tries to skyscraper it as high as he can. I'm just so bad at judging when the ball is in my hitting zone.

I've made so many mistakes that I've given up on trying to hit them straight out of the air. I almost always let the ball bounce now and then hit it. The problem is, off course, I've given him time to recover and I've had to move a couple of steps further back :mad:

chewy
02-22-2006, 09:15 PM
What sort of level are you at? It's hard to give advice when I don't know your standard.

How fast do you serve roughly? that should give me a basic idea.
hehehe...umm i play club level tennis :toothy: :o
im a short player, don't know my serve speed...but i doubt i can serve over 150km/h. :o so my 1st serve prob around that speed.

chewy
02-22-2006, 09:16 PM
and for a guy thats slow huh...i know
thats y im aiming to improve my placement :cool:

stebs
02-22-2006, 09:20 PM
and for a guy thats slow huh...i know
thats y im aiming to improve my placement :cool:

Is your ball toss good? I had a lot of trouble with my serve until a year or two ago and I didn't know why. It turned out to be my low ball toss.

zicofirol
02-22-2006, 09:46 PM
NO CONTEST: THE OVERHEAD SMASH

I have ok height (6.1 ft), my serve is above average to good (depending on the day) for my level, I have a good vertical leap (i can dunk a ball in basketball) but I just cant get a smash in, and if i get it in, its a weak safe smash that the opponenbt easily returns.
I have good days and try to memorize what i was doing, grip, stance, whatever, but usually the next day Im back to my old missing smashes form.
I know I take the eye of the ball but even when I keep my eye on the ball my smashes are weak.
I can smash ok after I let it bounce but its not a certain winner.

Grinder
02-22-2006, 09:50 PM
My two handed backhand is by far my weakest shot, I've got a good serve since I'm close to 6'6", and that gives me good reach around the net, so I'm a decent volleyer. My serve and forehand are my best shots, but my backhand only keeps me in a rally and is only a good rally shot. The only time I can hit winners with it is if there's a short ball or someones at the net for an easy pass.

I definitely prefer playing basketball, but tennis is always good to play competitively for an individual sport.

Alexiana
02-22-2006, 09:52 PM
definately serve :rolleyes:

chewy
02-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Is your ball toss good? I had a lot of trouble with my serve until a year or two ago and I didn't know why. It turned out to be my low ball toss.
i can't say any part of my game is anywhere near 'good' atm, but ur exactly right. my mates always try remind me abt tossing d ball too low n so ive always realised it but somehow just continue to do so. but now its improving...slowly

chewy
02-22-2006, 10:12 PM
My two handed backhand is by far my weakest shot, I've got a good serve since I'm close to 6'6", and that gives me good reach around the net, so I'm a decent volleyer. My serve and forehand are my best shots, but my backhand only keeps me in a rally and is only a good rally shot. The only time I can hit winners with it is if there's a short ball or someones at the net for an easy pass.

I definitely prefer playing basketball, but tennis is always good to play competitively for an individual sport.
u're 6'6!?
a whole feet taller than me haha...well olivier rochus is my inspiration

Pea
02-22-2006, 10:22 PM
Damn serves................always have been my weakness.

alelysafina
02-22-2006, 10:33 PM
My serve :mad:

Regenbogen
02-22-2006, 10:36 PM
i'd have to say my serve. it's at a completely different level than the rest of my game haha :o it started from being taught the wrong grip years ago...then trying to change it...and changing it hurting my wrist...and now i'm just really screwed up

megadeth
02-22-2006, 11:08 PM
2nd serve is the hardest. you need to make sure it lands deep with a lot of kick so that you won't get pounced on.

another shot that's hard to return is when your opponent hits a low bouncing deep backhand slice to your backhand side while approaching the net.

OddJob
02-23-2006, 12:12 AM
My serves motion is horrid. No matter what I do I still don't get full extention on it.

keqtqiadv
02-23-2006, 12:29 AM
I have problems when volleying. I should play more doubles. I hit the ball late, near my body.

silverwhite
02-23-2006, 12:36 AM
Serve. I just can't get the ball toss right. :mad:

celia
02-23-2006, 12:38 AM
HEY MODS!!

WE NEED A PLAYERS FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks ;)

Gonzalo81
02-23-2006, 01:15 AM
Definetely my backhand.....its my worst shot...but since I´ve changed to a tow hands backhand is getting better and better....

I have no problem with serve and volley...thats why I play like that......and that why I suck playing on clay....but I take almost always my friends when we play on hard....

socaltennisguy
02-23-2006, 01:15 AM
I voted forehand. Not that it is my weakest shot (its my strongest) but that damn consistency on it is killing me. I miss wayy to many easy balls with it either going for too much or netting it. I dont know why, but its been pretty bad lately. My game has been suffering cuz of my damn forehand.

*julie*
02-23-2006, 01:20 AM
my 2nd serve... :help:

Godiva
02-23-2006, 01:25 AM
:wavey: I'm like you even though I'm medium to tall in height. I just mis-time evry single one, I barely ever hit them any more anyway, just let them bounce and hit bounce smash. 100 times easier.

:wavey: I have a mean forehand though. and i'm only 5" 2"

Scotso
02-23-2006, 02:19 AM
Serve.

nkhera1
02-23-2006, 03:12 AM
I can never place my ball consistently enough for my serve to be consistently good.

Pixie
02-23-2006, 07:59 AM
Serve. Problem of ball toss as well. I have a better sliced serve than topspin.

casabe
02-23-2006, 02:16 PM
my first serve is good....the second one is really bad thats the problem...but I still think Coria´s second serve is worst

uNIVERSE mAN
02-23-2006, 02:28 PM
i'm good with smashes, but I'm no good at volleying, especially forehand volleys, backhand's a bit better.

Julio1974
02-23-2006, 02:37 PM
backhand volley is awful. Second serve is also a shit, but I'm improving.

Angle Queen
02-23-2006, 04:09 PM
I have problems when volleying. I should play more doubles. I hit the ball late, near my body.Yep. That's a good cure (or curse :lol: ) for fixing volley troubles.

I'm voting backhand...simply because I have to use it more in a match than my overhead which is never quite, ah, smashing...but usually still in-play and if not an outright winner, usually sets me up for the next shot (a volley :yeah: ). Serve is nothing special but I have decent control over it and it rarely gives me angst.

BH...on the other hand...is so all-over the board that I am nervous about it before a match and it often becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy of doom-n-gloom. I was happiest with it last year when I was emulating Hewitt's straight-arm take-back (unconventional and with little variety or pace...but consistent as hell). Then I broke a finger on my left (support) hand and was forced into a bit of a half-assed one-hander. While I found a slice and dropshot in the arsenal, I lost all depth and consistency on just a regular BH drive. My footwork got lazy too...and now I'll have to get back to the basics again, I suppose.

Nice poll idea.

Fedex
02-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Easily, the backhand overhead.

Fedex
02-23-2006, 04:15 PM

Well I can see why you enjoy basketball if you're 6'6". :lol:

Fedex
02-23-2006, 04:18 PM
u're 6'6!?
a whole feet taller than me haha...well olivier rochus is my inspiration
If I were that short, I would use Henin-Hardenne as my inspiration, even if she is a :mad:. She's only 5'5" and she's one of the most successful players on either tour.

SwissMister1
02-23-2006, 04:21 PM
My net game overall is pretty bad, especially my backhand volley. I also tend to blow smashes - I get overexcited about putting the ball away and lose focus - my friend I play with the most says my eyes get as big as dinner plates when I go for a smash.

Fedex
02-23-2006, 04:22 PM
My net game overall is pretty bad, especially my backhand volley. I also tend to blow smashes - I get overexcited about putting the ball away and lose focus - my friend I play with the most says my eyes get as big as dinner plates when I go for a smash.
I love to volley. :) The hard part is choosing when to come in and when to stay back.

Angle Queen
02-23-2006, 04:37 PM
My net game overall is pretty bad, especially my backhand volley. I also tend to blow smashes - I get overexcited about putting the ball away and lose focus - my friend I play with the most says my eyes get as big as dinner plates when I go for a smash.Play more doubles. You'll get a lot of volley and overhead practice (lobs gone bad :p and there are more people...usually in the court of play...to aim at :devil: ). In singles, if you aim at your opponent (below the waist, please)...they're usually so far behind the baseline...that your ball will end up...behind the baseline too...and OUT.

chewy
02-23-2006, 04:49 PM
HEY MODS!!

WE NEED A PLAYERS FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks ;)
:worship:

that would be great.

Peoples
02-23-2006, 05:14 PM
backhand volley is awful. Second serve is also a shit, but I'm improving.
Don't deceive yourself. The rest of your strokes are also shit. People as old as you don't improve either. :rolleyes:

Fedex
02-23-2006, 05:18 PM
In singles, if you aim at your opponent (below the waist, please)...they're usually so far behind the baseline...that your ball will end up...behind the baseline too...and OUT.
You're opponent is an easy target when he's at net, though. :devil:

chewy
02-23-2006, 05:21 PM
If I were that short, I would use Henin-Hardenne as my inspiration, even if she is a :mad:. She's only 5'5" and she's one of the most successful players on either tour.
yes i am that short... :lol:
yeah i agree Jhh is an excellent player. but if u put oli n Jhh on the same court, i think oli is still the better player ;)

btw, what do u mean by 'she's one of the most successful players on either tour'. u mean if she played on atp??

Fedex
02-23-2006, 05:25 PM
yes i am that short... :lol:
yeah i agree Jhh is an excellent player. but if u put oli n Jhh on the same court, i think oli is still the better player ;)

btw, what do u mean by 'she's one of the most successful players on either tour'. u mean if she played on atp??
I mean she is one of the most successful players from both tours. Obviously she couldent compete against most of the men.

Fedex
02-23-2006, 05:27 PM

He'd probably beat her, but obviously Henin is more successful against women then Oli is against other men. ;) :lol:

chewy
02-23-2006, 05:27 PM
I mean she is one of the most successful players from both tours. Obviously she couldent compete against most of the men.
understood ;)

MisterQ
02-27-2006, 07:00 PM
My overhead:

http://www.smithworkz.com/tennis1.gif

NATAS81
02-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Like I said before in another thread, my joints are wierd but I can write with my usual hand but if I turn it to do a forehand it doesn't have much control so that is the shot that gives me problems.

My backhand is wicked awesome - flat with alot of pace but I can slice it also (again, because I don't have to have my forehand flat for a backhand) .

Bagelx2
02-27-2006, 07:58 PM
My volley is the worst, my serve has improved because it is the easiest to practice since it requires no partner. I played doubles all through high school - enough to know that I'm no McEnroe at the net.

Natasha250688
02-28-2006, 07:20 PM
It's a tie between FH and serve, but I have to go with FH, I don't know why it's giving me so much trouble :( whereas my BH and volleys are just fine...

RonE
02-28-2006, 08:36 PM
It depends- early on in the match if my footwork is going well then I can handle any stroke without excessive difficulty. But if I start to tire out or tighten up with the feet then the first stroke to go is the forehand.

RonE
02-28-2006, 08:42 PM
It's a tie between FH and serve, but I have to go with FH, I don't know why it's giving me so much trouble :( whereas my BH and volleys are just fine...

I know why my FH deserts me- as I said it has to do with footwork mostly. It is a shot with a lot of moving parts- a lot of phases so if something small is out of place (foot positioning, body weight off balance etc) then it can go south pretty quickly. Another problem I used to have is that a while back I tried to create the stroke almost exclusively with the arm- until I corrected it and got my body into position sideways to the ball racquet arm extended behind my body with the elbow at a 90 degree bend instead of away from the body- and then the key part of the stroke is leaning into it and using your hips for the body rotation to give you the necessary racquet head speed and then use the arm mostly to come over the ball putting the right amount of topspin on it to keep it in court.

Maxpowers
02-28-2006, 10:54 PM
I can't stand volley's below the net or stretch volleys. Even if I get them in they sit up and I feel like an idiot standing there waiting for my opponent to pass me.

robrulz5
02-28-2006, 11:06 PM
My backhand is probably my weakest side. When I'm hitting by BH well it's alright but when it's off I tend slice sometimes.

Solid_Snake
02-28-2006, 11:28 PM
I serve like a bitch.

HottAsHellHEWITT
03-01-2006, 06:30 AM
my volleys are definitely the problem in singles i dont come to the net unless its to shake hands