Could Andy be British No.1 this week? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Could Andy be British No.1 this week?

Xmanfan
02-22-2006, 03:10 PM
With Rusedski out of Rotterdam today and Henman playing today, if H loses, and Murray wins, could he at any point this week become British No.1? Reply if you know. thanks :-)

ClaycourtaZzZz.
02-22-2006, 03:12 PM
He needs to reach the QF to be the new british no.1

Xmanfan
02-22-2006, 03:18 PM
OK so if Henman loses in first round, Murray has to still get to quarter final (or win quarter final?) to be No1. So basically he has to be 3 wins ahead of Henman to go infront?

ClaycourtaZzZz.
02-22-2006, 03:20 PM
No. He just needs to get to the QF. 2 victories, enough. Henman won't win a match, so no problem there.

Xmanfan
02-22-2006, 03:20 PM
my friend has just emailed this to me (confusing but hopefully correct!):

Greg 800
Andy 763
Tim 745 (= 815 - 75 (PTD) + 5 (19th best))
... and if Tim loses to Thomas Johansson in R1, he will drop from GB no. 1 to GB no. 3 at the end of next week, even if Greg and Andy both lose too.
For Tim to end the week back ahead of Greg, he must:
- reach the QFs if Greg loses in R1
- reach the SFs and get one round further than Greg if Greg gets past R1
For Tim to end the week back ahead of Andy, he must:
- get one round further in Rotterdam than Andy does in Memphis
For Andy to leapfrog both Tim and Greg to become GB no. 1 in a week's time, he must satisfy all of the following:
- reach at least the QFs
- win at least one more match than Greg does
- go out no more than one round earlier than Tim

gusman890
02-22-2006, 03:31 PM
^^ good news for andy then better keeping winning =)

Sweet4Richard
02-22-2006, 03:33 PM
So confusing, but my fingers are crossed that he takes over British number one this week. We all know its just a matter of time! :)

ClaycourtaZzZz.
02-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Guys, yet we are talking about british no.1, soon we could talk about world no.1;)

Duncan
02-22-2006, 04:12 PM
hold your boxers my friend, few years away that is i think :p

ClaycourtaZzZz.
02-22-2006, 04:14 PM
nah man, mid 07;)

musefanatic
02-22-2006, 08:00 PM
I hope he can get it but i think this week is a bit too ambitious. Could be world no 1 soon, would be amazing if he could :)

OddJob
02-23-2006, 12:34 AM
:lol: World #1 that's stretching it a wee bit. British #1 no doubt this week or in the next few weeks.

pesto
02-23-2006, 01:20 PM
It's immaterial. At the moment he is the best British player, no matter what the rankings say. His level is improving all the time, wile the others have (at best) stagnated, and the rankings take the last 12 months into account. He is a completely different player to he was 12 months ago.

I shouldn't think he's deeply fussed about British #1, what he wants is to keep improving his world ranking.

Sweet4Richard
02-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Despite being widely predicted to end Henman's reign as British number one, Murray said he had little interest in the British pecking order.

"I'd much rather be number 10 in the world and number three in Britain than number 25 in the world and number one in Britain," he said.

:worship:

Dan's Racket
02-23-2006, 05:43 PM
I like murray's comment on this, he said he doesnt mind being british number 3 as long as he's in top 10. Looks like he has his targets set right. :yeah:

hazelcad
02-24-2006, 01:50 AM
Hiya!! :wavey:

Just found this on the ATP Memphis site;

Quote: With his winning effort Thursday, Murray will earn enough ranking points to displace Tim Henman as the top British player when the INDESIT ATP Rankings are released Monday. The Scot, who rose 13 places to a career-high No. 47 following his SAP Open title victory, stood just within reach of No. 40 Henman and No. 43 Greg Rusedski to began his week in Memphis.

Amazing!

Gulliver
02-24-2006, 08:46 AM
This obsession with British #1 is peculiar to British commentators and media. I am unaware of French commentators/media always announcing Gasquet as French #1, the USA saying Roddick is American #1, Gonzalez is Chile's #1 etc.etc. but that's what Cowan, Threlfall, Bailey and other idiots like them focus on, yawn. World rankings are what count, and Henman and Murray agree, but Rusedski ('nuff said!) doesn't!

gusman890
02-24-2006, 01:01 PM
well he is moving up in both, thats good though. ranking is important haha

Sweet4Richard
02-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Congrats Andy :bigclap:

musefanatic
02-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Well done Andy!!! :) Congrats!

hazelcad
02-25-2006, 01:24 AM
Whatever Andy says I'm sure he will be secretly delighted. It doesn't do to make a big song and dance, especially cos Tim has been really supportive to him but every pro tennis player in this country would like to be British no.1. They're competitive people!
I say congrats to him. He's worked like a dog for this and it's well deserved! :woohoo:

And I don't think it's just the Brits. It was 1st reported on a US site!

Gulliver
02-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Whatever Andy says I'm sure he will be secretly delighted. It doesn't do to make a big song and dance, especially cos Tim has been really supportive to him but every pro tennis player in this country would like to be British no.1. They're competitive people!
I say congrats to him. He's worked like a dog for this and it's well deserved! :woohoo:

And I don't think it's just the Brits. It was 1st reported on a US site!

Where have you been? The British media have been on about this for ages, and worked out when it would happen so don't think it was first reported in US. And BBC have headline of Murray being underwhelmed
by the whole thing. You know Murray, do you, enough to be sure that he's secretly delighted? Odd, then, that he said no tournaments have only British players for it then to mean something. :rolleyes:

hazelcad
02-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Was that really necessary? I was good-naturedly expessing an opinion and wishing him well.
I thought we were all on the same side. And it WAS reported first on a US site that he was ACTUALLY British number one. After he won the match in question. I wasn't talking about the British press theorizing when it COULD happen.
I feel very sorry for you. To have such a miserable, negative attitude towards other people that you feel the need to carp and critisize like that.
Perhaps you ought to think about that.

Gulliver
03-01-2006, 08:23 AM
O.K.O.K. It may have sounded critical of you, but nothing personal :rolleyes: I was actually trying to be realistic about the whole hype thing and that it wasn't the earth-shattering event some have made it out to be. The following is from today's Telegraph (1.03.06):

"Andy Murray has been wise beyond his years in not allowing himself to be caught up in the nonsensical hype over his supplanting of Tim Henman as the British No 1.

As Murray admitted: "It's not that big a deal, to be honest. Obviously, you'd rather be No 1 than the British No 20. It's nice to be No 1 in your own country but it doesn't mean anything to the other players, whereas if you're in the top 10 in the world, then that's pretty special."

That Murray has breached the top 50 at the age of 18 - beginning the week at No 42 - is pretty special but he is right not to get carried away by the achievement. He would, after all, be ranked only seventh in Spain, sixth in the US and fifth in Argentina. In fact, he would not even be the top-ranked player in Finland, Slovakia, Chile or Cyprus.

Being Britain's No 1 tennis player right now is like being Hawaii's top-ranked downhill skier. Congratulations, but frankly the competition is not all that hot."

And Petchey is quoted yesterday as saying that Murray genuinely doesn't care.