Players out of their comfort zone with success [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Players out of their comfort zone with success

TheMightyFed
02-22-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm curious to know if some of you remember seeing players changing their usual tactics or style of play in order to beat an oppoenent or even better to win a tournament, doing so with success.

The most famous example is Borg winning so many Wimbledons while his natural game was quite defensive with a lot of topspin. He adjusted to volley more and did it with, mmh, quite a lot of success. I watched recently the Noah-Wilander finals in RG 1983 and I was amazed to see how Noah kept patient with big loopy topspin forehands to prepare his attacks, while his initial game was pure S & V. Special mention to Lendl who managed to reach a certain success in going more to the net, winning the Queen's twice I think, but never managed to win the big W

In the opposite, Roddick going more to the net trying to beat Federer without results outlines the difficulty of the task. I think it's quite rare at the pro level but there might be other examples of successful changes.

vogus
02-22-2006, 07:09 PM
what is even more brilliant was when Andre Agassi won Wimbledon, without changing his game one iota.

Sjengster
02-22-2006, 07:14 PM
I should think the most commonly cited example is Ashe completely changing his attacking style and slicing and slowballing his way to victory over Connors in the 1975 Wimbledon final. More recently, Costa was successful in flattening out his shots and playing more aggressive tennis inside the baseline the year he won RG.

helen phillips
02-23-2006, 05:35 AM
I know he was doing more of it as he matured but I never saw Wilander slice his backhand more or come in as much as he did in his victory over Lendl in the 1988 US Open final.