South Africa's first black tennis player: DONOVAN SEPTEMBER [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

South Africa's first black tennis player: DONOVAN SEPTEMBER

vogus
02-21-2006, 09:53 PM
I was talking to a black South African friend of mine recently and apparently back in the early 1990's, this guy Donovan September was an absolute legend in terms of breaking down the race barrier and blazing a trail for blacks in South African tennis. My friend said he was an unbelievable talent who came up during the time when only whites were allowed at the clubs where tournaments were held. I had never heard of him though. Anyone know anything about him?

cincy
02-21-2006, 09:57 PM
I've never heard of him and I'm sure I would remember a guy named "September." Back in the bad old days, Arthur Ashe spent a lot of time in South Africa and I read all about that. I would think this guy's name would show up during that time.

Sjengster
02-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Pity, that name alone made him deserving of champion status.

Goonergal
02-21-2006, 10:29 PM
What a great name :worship:

sigmagirl91
02-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Wow! What a name! No one would have trouble identifying this guy.

yonexforever
02-22-2006, 12:22 AM
I was talking to a black South African friend of mine recently and apparently back in the early 1990's, this guy Donovan September was an absolute legend in terms of breaking down the race barrier and blazing a trail for blacks in South African tennis. My friend said he was an unbelievable talent who came up during the time when only whites were allowed at the clubs where tournaments were held. I had never heard of him though. Anyone know anything about him?

THE ONLY BLACK SOUTH AFRICAN TENNIS PLAYER OR NOTE DURING THAT TIME WAS MARK MATHABANE THAT I CAN REMEMBER... HE WAS SPONSORED AND SUPPORTED BY STAN SMITH.

MARK DIDNT PLAY ON THE TOUR THOUGH, AND LATER WENT ON TO FAME AS A WRITER OF "KAFIR BOY" AND THE SUBSEQUENT FOLLOW UP.

binkygirl
02-24-2006, 07:38 AM
The only trace I've found of him is in a few Indian futures:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:nD_fVdnu9GUJ:www.hindu.com/2001/01/11/stories/0711102h.htm+%22Donovan+September%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1