Grinder
02-21-2006, 08:36 PM
James really needs to get his shit together. :(

WuMiE
02-21-2006, 08:37 PM
ARGH. James :sad:

Castafiore
Vliegen FINALLY seems to be getting his shit together. He's been having good results lately. :)

Fee
ahh, the return of streaky James...

cincy
02-21-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm beginning to think the great run James and Robby had last year was an aberration and they are returning to their actual form and settling back into the pack. :rolleyes:

I was hoping they were for real. I've been fooled yet again. :sad:

blosson
02-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Oh no. :(

NATAS81
02-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Say goodbye to your season James http://yelims.free.fr/Pipi/Toilette05.gif

Deboogle!.
02-21-2006, 08:48 PM
James :( 0/8 on BPs and under 40% first serves most of the first set.... that won't cut it :retard:

Sjengster
Vliegen FINALLY seems to be getting his shit together. He's been having good results lately. :)

I noticed this too. What is it, Basel QFs against Hrbaty, Chennai SFs against Ljubicic (and had matchpoint in the deciding TB), AO 3rd round against Chela, San Jose QFs against Vinny Ice, and now this result today? Good work from someone whom I really thought was going to disappear back into the ether after his one remarkable run in Adelaide at the start of 2003 (although he also reached the semis of Barcelona 04 with a win over Nalbandian, I recall).

ezekiel
he needs that hot girlfriend for good luck and we need her :devil:

Sparko1030
02-21-2006, 08:49 PM
:sad: What's up James? I know you have better in you!

cincy
02-21-2006, 08:54 PM
he needs that hot girlfriend for good luck and we need her

James had too much trouble with his Mummy over that 'ho to keep her around. :( She was obviously using him. But now she's in Maxim so she'll get a lot of attention from lounge lizards. :rolleyes: Just what she deserves. :devil:

PaulieM
02-21-2006, 09:00 PM
vliegen's been playing well so far this year and james was definitely going to have to come ready to play well to be able to win this, and from the stats it looks like he didn't. oh well, congrats vliegen on a good win. :)

cedez
02-21-2006, 09:02 PM
What is going on with James? I hope he gets it together soon. He had such a nice run at the US Open. I would hate to think that was just a fluke!

NYCtennisfan
02-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Two bad losses for Blake in a row. He did play really well in DC though. I hope he gets his act together for IW and Miami.

Sjengster
02-21-2006, 09:08 PM
What is going on with James? I hope he gets it together soon. He had such a nice run at the US Open. I would hate to think that was just a fluke!

I think the three optional titles surrounding that US Open run, on three different continents, were enough to prove it wasn't a fluke, although granted he didn't have to beat truly elite opposition in any of those smaller events.

Sjengster
02-21-2006, 09:11 PM
I just realised, I passed 7000 posts without even realising. Bugger.

Winston's Human
02-21-2006, 09:16 PM
I do not understand. The all-knowing Matt Cronin wrote that James would soon be the top American player.

Sjengster
02-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Where exactly did he make this spurious claim?

cincy
02-21-2006, 09:22 PM
Oh yes, the all knowing Mr. Cronin. He's usually as wrong as I am. Maybe I should get my own blog. :rolleyes:

mangoes
02-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Heck, I believe that one of the commentators during DC coverage made a comment that if Davydenko was in the top 10, then James could easily be there. I was very upset at that comment and thought it was insultive toward Davydenko.

JuanRodriguez
02-21-2006, 09:29 PM
Yes Yes!! Altough I like James a lot, this is some impressive stuff from Kristof!!!

Guess will see him soon appear in the top-50! :D :yeah:

federated
02-21-2006, 09:31 PM
well, hopefully this is just a rough patch. He did just win last month (in sydney?)

Winston's Human
02-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Where exactly did he make this spurious claim?

Cronin suggests it in the following article:

Roddick now has competition for top spot
by Matthew Cronin
tennisreporters.net
2/11/06

By the time that the U.S. faces off against Chile in the Davis Cup quarterfinals in early April, James Blake might crack the top 10 and be pushing his good buddy Andy Roddick for the top American ranking.

From the looks of both men over the past seven months, and in particular during the United States' 4-1 win over Romania in Davis Cup first-round play, Blake is a more confident, all-around player than Roddick is now.

He doesn't have Roddick's resume; which is replete with a U.S. Open crown, two appearances in the Wimbledon final and 20 overall titles, but what he does have is four titles since August (which Roddick does not have) and the MVP accolade for this past weekend's victory over Romania in La Jolla, Calif.

Blake may very well have given up a huge opportunity at the Australian Open when he was upset by Tommy Robredo, but he saved the U.S. Davis Cup team from disaster after a puking Roddick was upset on day one by Andrei Pavel in a dramatic five setter.

Blake then went on court and wasted Victor Hanescu, which more than calmed the nerves of U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe and took away the sting of Roddick's defeat.

"James has taken his game to another level," McEnroe said. "I think he has an excellent chance to make a significant run this year. His game is ready to go up a level or two."

That win by Blake and an injury to Hanescu in the doubles against the Bryans pretty much sealed the tie for the U.S. and then Roddick admirably dragged himself back on court on Sunday to clinch it with an easy 6-3, 6-3, 6-2 win over minor-league player Razvan Sabau.

Roddick didn't have to strain because his opponent couldn't keep the ball in the court, but he played smart and didn't waste a ton of energy jumping around and yelling toward the crowd. As McEnroe said, sometimes Andy gets too amped up and when he does, he puts his body at risk. That may be one reason why Roddick has been unable to climb back to the No. 1 ranking again, another being the existence of Roger Federer.

"Andy's an emotional and intense guy," McEnroe said. "I like how intense he gets, but maybe it's my fault for not helping him strike a better balance. Sometimes his stomach gets upset. Some great athletes throw up before every match. Fortunately, he doesn't do that."

Roddick hasn't completely come to terms with what his body was telling him when he was puking, but given that he didn't have food poisoning or the stomach flu, it was pretty clear to everyone else that he needs to be more composed and less excitable on court.

When Roddick gets too crazy, his nerves start fraying, and on Friday his stomach was so tied up in knots that it finally needed to release and did so in the fourth set. Once it did, all his energy was gone into a courtside waste basket and he could fight no longer.

The 23-year-old later dismissed the idea that it was the stress of the occasion that caused him to vomit, saying, "If I puked every time I was nervous, then we'd have a lot of dirty courts."

He also denied that his recent coaching change from Dean Goldfine to his brother, John, was bothering him, saying, "It's not causing me a lot of personal conflict."

But Roddick is having conflicts, which is why he changed coaches for the third time since June 2003. He hasn't won a Slam in more than two years and didn't even win a prestigious ATP Masters Series title last year.

He's ranked No. 3, but the asterisks are growing, especially after Marcos Baghdatis outclassed him at the Australian Open and then when he gagged a two sets to love lead against Pavel.

"We all look at Andy and try to figure out what he needed to do better," McEnroe said. "But he set the bar very high for himself.

"Everyone has vulnerabilities in their game. Andy is working hard to improve those. He knows that there is work to be done in his transition game, and hitting his backhand with more pace and depth. He knows he has to improve and he's trying to. I'd like to see him try to use the things he's working on in less pressure matches. But doing it when you are playing in Slams and Davis Cup — there's are a lot of pressure in those matches. But when the (changes) start to click, when his confidence gets back, he's sees the results again."

Roddick is well aware of what he has to do technically, but mentally, he's still debating how he should approach matches. However, at least he's considering the calm, cool and collected approach, which certainly aided him Sunday and could really help him the rest of the year.

He's known for his fist pumps, but over the past year, he's been spending way too much time fighting himself

"It's a constant learning process," Roddick said. "I don't know if you can do one thing all the time. Even the calmest guys out there like Sampras got fired up sometimes. But it's definitely something that can be learned and especially in Davis Cup matches when the tensions are high. Maybe today was the start of it."

Team leader Roddick is thrilled that the Bryan Brothers have become the Mariano Rivera of men's doubles and that Blake his finally transforming into a big-time player. Everyone on the team believes they can go all the way this year and even though names such as Agassi, Ginepri and Dent are being thrown around as possible team members for upcoming ties, McEnroe said that Blake is clearly the frontrunner for the No. 2 spot against Chile.

That's because the well-kept secret about the humble Blake is out: he's a big-time baller who can close out matches against anyone and is even capable of taking over the No. 1 spot on the U.S. team should Roddick get hurt of falter further.

Even Roddick can see how good his buddy has become.

"I definitely think that James best tennis is ahead of him," Roddick said. "The way he moves and strikes the ball and how good of an athlete he is, on paper, he's a lot better than most guys."

its.like.that
02-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Blake sucks.

:lol:

nobama
02-21-2006, 10:41 PM
James. :sad:

Remember, Cronin was the one who questioned the domination of Fed after his match against Kiefer at Wimbledon. I'd pay no mind to what he says.

ServeAlready81
02-21-2006, 11:26 PM
At least James has some time to get his act together before he defends his points.

s.m.
02-22-2006, 12:18 AM
it looks like the magic is gone for blake
well, august will come....eventually

Scotso
02-22-2006, 02:10 AM
People shouldn't be surprised. Blake is overrated. He's got a lot of firepower, but he's so hit and miss... usually miss.

Kristof :D

OddJob
02-22-2006, 02:18 AM
Krissy nicely done! :bounce: He's been play great ball this year so this win wasen't that surprising.

federated
02-22-2006, 02:52 AM
did any one see the match? was blake just misfiring?

Deea
02-22-2006, 05:09 AM
Yep...Blake's kind of out of shape these days!

superpinkone37
02-22-2006, 05:14 AM
:sad:.

He played so well in Davis Cup...I wonder what happened :awww:

Allez-H˛
02-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Kristof :bounce: He's been playing really good and consistent this year. FINALLY! Hope he keeps up the good work :dance:

Better lcuk next time James :yeah: